Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410541 times)

Dapifer

• Platinum Paladin
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (complete and available for download!)
« Reply #450 on: June 03, 2009, 10:38:33 AM »
A "Granite Armor" of sorts could have insane HP boosts and Always: Slow, of course, the Maximillian already gives insane amounts of HP so I don't know how it fits...

I liked the Carabini had elemental resistance, for me at least, it always struck me as a fire resistant piece of equipment, also, an armor that gives MA could work, even though Knights can use Wizard Robe, maybe an armor that gives +1 MA instead of the +2 that WR gives, but with much better HP bonus, that way Knights with magic second could benefit, and also Samurai, I like how Genji Set gives PA...

I understand Armor shouldn't give bonuses, but come on, this is fantasy world, just like the Reflect Mail, an armor made with Magic could work, the armor that had less luv could get elemental resistance, like Plate Mail, almost always gets out shadowed by the Gold Armor because they come relativaly at the same time, I don't recall very much, but I think there are some equipments that suffer the same way, maybe give the underdogs something?

The problem with status protection is... well, half accesories are about that, but Eva from Mantles is better, 108 Gems gives Elemental Boosts, and MA and PA are just waaaay better(and cooler =P) than my Defense Armlet that protects me from Don't Move/Act, I mean suuure, they have their uses, but most of the time I rather have an extra edge on my stats, and cure the status ailments that don't strike that often.

The Maximilian could have Start: Stop, and more Hp, I am just shooting at the dark right now, on the other hand, an armor with Always: Faith seems good, Mages can't use it unless they sacrifice Support for Equip Armor, and the units that can use it don't get that much MA, and are prey for quick Nukes from Summon and Black magic, I see a Knight with Yin Yang benefiting from an armor like this, but on a second thought, it may be more trouble than it's worth...

I guess Metroid got it right, Armor is not "bad", it's just dull... well, what you gonna do right? I like the Power Sleeve nerf, I would like something like that with the armors, now, the Judo Outfit it's still a viable choice, it gives almos twice the HP Power Sleeve gives, and also cancels dead, but it gives one PA less, forcing you to make a choice between HP or raw power, anyways I am really looking forward to the new update, not wearing robe with my Paladin(Knight with White Magic second, kindda thematic build from the times of AD&D =P) is really hurting his MP pool u.u
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:40:42 AM by Dapifer »
-Semper Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem-

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 03, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »
Always: Haste/Poison?  Hmm, might work in a system with better poison.
Armor giving always: Haste is kinda wtf.  This sounds more like a Corset or a rabies injection or something.

Always: Innocent seems like it'd be good if Item wasn't already so very useful.
I file Always: Innocent under "that's a huge upgrade", yeah.  Also under: "we'd have to make sure no enemies in the normal game ever equipped this, because it'd be an auto-reset for some parties".

That said, Slow does look brutal enough that you could pair it with some fairly good stuff, especially if it grants effective Haste Immunity.
Yeah, always: Slow/Shell/Protect sounds fairly safe; I don't know if it immunes haste or not, though--you can definitely be slowed when you have auto-haste, so probably doesn't immune.  This would be another piece of equipment we'd probably want to keep out of the hands of enemies (mostly because auto-slow renders them so irrelevant).

EDIT: oh, also, I recall the game having trouble adding certain positive+negative statuses at the same time; not sure if Slow+Shell/Protect would even register right.

Maybe something along the lines of Start: Stop or Start: Don't Act, or something else along those lines?
Could be done.  Though yeah, heads us down the road to Equip Change as Grefter noted.

I am just shooting at the dark right now, on the other hand, an armor with Always: Faith seems good, Mages can't use it unless they sacrifice Support for Equip Armor, and the units that can use it don't get that much MA
You're right in that gameplaywise Always: Faith works fairly well.  However, thematically, why does armor make you take more damage than any piece of clothing ever did?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:12:35 PM by metroid composite »

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #452 on: June 03, 2009, 09:05:58 PM »
Something like Crystal Mail could work: It's transparent! Magic goes through it! Also a good candidate for, well, pretty much anything, thematically.

That said, Bizen Boat is already in the game anyhow for the Auto-Faith for mages aspect.

Circlet is an example of  this sort of thing too.

Not that I'm arguing that armour couldn't use something (even random elemental and status defenses could fit the bill, really). What's this about space concerns, though?

I don't think things like PA and MA boosting should be ruled out either; certainly the powerhouse in full-plate is not an unfamiliar trope (see: Nightmare/Sigfried from Soul Calibre, or better yet video of Alex from Prototype in with armour active charging down the street for good visual aides).

Protect/Shell on Armour plus Slow (if it works) makes an awful lot of sense to me. It's a real shame you can't do minuses, though, since Speed -1 or 2 on all armour plus one or both of Protect & Shell as a matter of course would really work for me.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 04, 2009, 01:26:01 AM »
Yeah, but if you're pulling out Equip Change, then you are sacrificing something else that might be in that slot instead, like say Two Swords, or Magic Attack UP, or Phys Attack UP, all of which are useful to the Armour wearing classes (non-Armour wearing classes don't even come into consideration thanks to this being impossible with Equip Armour) and denied that that strategy.  Which means the trick is that any gain you'd get from this would have to not be so over powering that it'd be a clear choice.

Not to mention, with Raise 2 improved, PD plentiful and easy, and Heal quickly nulling everything else you might use Start with (that isn't already hit by Remedy/Esuna), I wouldn't say that Start: Random stuff is all that big a drawback anyways.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 04, 2009, 01:56:04 AM »
Not to mention, with Raise 2 improved, PD plentiful and easy, and Heal quickly nulling everything else you might use Start with (that isn't already hit by Remedy/Esuna), I wouldn't say that Start: Random stuff is all that big a drawback anyways.
Start: Petrify if you don't Equip Change to it, still wastes 2 full turns (one use of Heal, and the fact that once you're healed you start from 0 CT.  Same with Start: Stop, Start: Sleep, etc.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 04, 2009, 02:34:21 AM »
Which isn't a big deal if you don't start with the enemy in your face, and might even be to your benefit if you know how the CT is going to go, and want them to come in at something a little off kilter.

Dapifer

• Platinum Paladin
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 04, 2009, 03:04:49 AM »
I am definitly OK with Armor having elemental resistances and weaknesses a la Flame Shield and the like, of course those shields already exist so... I don't know if that's on the table =P
-Semper Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem-

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 07, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
Another week, another chronicle.

This time, we begin with the elusive Sluice Battle.

The battle starts with Cyril and Shaker hanging out together, while Jasmin and Fargus take on the mages.  The Knights advance on Shaker, whose player mocks them because he's far too invincible for them to take down.  Seems they know this too.  Next thing we know, Shaker's down 3 PA and his armour and it's his turn.  He shows them a nifty trick most Knights lack, as he tries his hand at the breaking game with a sword for each of them.  In responce, the Knights show him why Knights hang with a shield.  Waiting on the spot to double turn them, Shaker gets to go 0/4 before fleeing from the enemy knights, tail between his legs.

Advantage, Sluice.

On the other side, the cameo wizard, resplendant in his 80-some Faith, wanders over to help deal with Shaker, and finds that his good compatability with Cyril and lack of any ID protection was a bad idea.  Cyril then ports over to hang with the Chemist where a second archer shot takes him down (not that he misses a turn, go 5 Speed!).  Between them, Fargus and Jasmin take down the other wizard as he charges a mostly lethal attack on Fargus.  From there they start charging up as Cyril slaps a Reraise on Fargus.  There's another close call as Shaker almost gets Weapon Broken (fortunatly, it would only have been the Ice Brand and not the Materia Blade) giving us priority number one, but otherwise we lock down one of the archers as Fargus guns down the other and Jasmin's innate Move Underwater pays off.  In the final waiting for things to crystalize so we can end the battle, Fargus and Jasmin split Archers, both of whom leave crystals.  Jasmin gets a nice suite of Charge abilities, half of which Fargus lacks.  Fargus, who has actually been using Charge to augment gun damage, gets Jump skills.  And the battle ends with the typical come-uppance overly invincible characters having their defenses getting cut through.  Namely, Cyril hitting Shaker with Death for a last bit of JP before ending the map.

After this we gain 1 X Excalibur.  Oh, and a TG Cid too.  Also, we get a bit of party shakeup.  Cyril picks up Level and 4 then declares himself finished with Calculator for the time being, and moves over to Thief in order to go to Ninja.  Shaker heads over to Oracle, but gets talked out of a Two Poison Rod setup, largely because with 4WP, Poison Rods suck at hurting things.  Jasmin...  picks up some new skills, and that's about it.  And Fargus moves over to Archer to flesh out Charge.  Oh, and our buddy Erek joins as the famed Cidolfas Orlandu.

At this point, we get a single random encounter which we steamroll as we go from Bethla to Goug, to Goland/Lesalia.  The only thing of consequence here is that Shaker unlocks Mediator, learns Threaten, and heads back to Knight with a Talk Skill secondary.  And then we venture into the mines...

As we realise that we're up against five undying abominations, one other realization kicks in.  Only Fargus has ressurection.  Sure, Cyril has MS-Reraise, but that's no good once someone's already dead.  Naturally, in round one a OHKO Meteor gets tagged onto Fargus, another on Cyril.  Of course, this is all after our novice Cid has a good idea/bad idea moment.  Good Idea?  Realising you have the MP Busting Dark Sword and hitting a Ko with it.  Bad Idea?  Standing close enough to the slowest party member that you can both be hit by status spells.  As such, Shaker is slowed, and both Shaker and Cid are stopped.  Cyril saves himself by cutting down the Ko aiming the giant space rock at him, while Fargus waits as Jasmin Kiyomori's him and bolts, letting Fargus survive and then Auto-Potion the attack.  Fargus then gets a good place to counter attack from as Cyril busts out the Reraise.  And while we can't deal with their Reraise, it does mean we can spam it via Math Skill as much as we want.  Unfortunatly, while he gets Fargus, Cyril whiffs on himself right before a Ko kills him.  Fargus charges forward, killing a Ko that's about to meteor the knight types while Jasmin began sparring with another Ko.  But, no matter how the two fought, for each Ko struck down, two more slavering beasts arose in their place, and it seemed that the neverending hordes would over whealm them and render unto them the fate of the fallen Cyril when a sign did appear.  In cyan letters o'er the heads of the blade wielders did form the word "Stop".  And did Shaker of the Twin Blades of Speed Busting, and Orlandu, Annihilator of the Sacred MP cut down the Ko Menace, leaving behind naught but shattered dreams in the wake of their righteous fury.  And as Fargus restored unto the fallen Cyril life, the Thief-Mage did raise his twin daggers, bestowing with one the gift of life unending, and with the other speed unrivaled, giving his allies the strength to cut down the last straggling members.

And it was Good.

Going with less epic prose, we get to the next battle, wherein Cyril has unlocked Ninja and wandered over to it.  We take a few moments to realize exactly what's up with the enemies at the top, and find that setup fairly awesome.  Then we spot Strago, and find that far more awesome.  So we have Cid stand on top of his hidey-hole and stab the ground, causing Ice to fall from the sky, through Cid and the turf he's standing onto Strago, killing him outright.  We figure it's the best we could do on short notice to give him a death as awesome as his life.  Next comes the charge, with Cyril slapping a Reraise on Fargus (still our only source of Revival since Shaker, while not Diplo-Knight anymore has Steal set instead).  This is revealed to be a Bad Idea as one of the Mediators takes a shot at Fargus, killing him outright.  At this point the other Mediator also comes online and we realise exactly how bad our position really is.  Cid dives forward, Stasis Swording the Squire into Critical as the rest of us dive for cover.  A Kiyomori is shattered for the cause, and an X-Potion spent as we try and get to a good attacking position and Cid gets shot once and badly hurt.  Cyril breaks cover first, killing a Samurai before getting gunned down.  Cid gets in one more hit of his own before getting shot down by the hasted Mediator.  Fargus goes on PD patrol as Shaker charges forth, twin blades ready to strike!  And he whiffs.  Twice.  Jasmin follows up and shows Shaker how it's done as she and a revived Cid take down the hasted Mediator before Cid gets shot down again.  Unfortunatly, Cid misses his next couple of turns as the mediator shoots him, and with Shaker continueing to whiff, Jasmin has a few issues finishing the other Mediator. 

At this point, three things happen.  Cyril's revived, the remaining Samurai wakes up, and the Bard remembers it's in the battle (until this point it has been ignoring it's Fairy Harp of 50WP in order to spend three turns a pop on Nameless Song).  The Samurai never gets a turn as Cyril runs behind it and shanks it.  The Bard, for his part charges a lethal attack on Jasmin.  But Shaker intervines, as the Bard slowly rathchets it's hand back for the mother of all power chordes, attention focused on how rocking this killer note will be, Shaker simply plucks the harp from his hands.  Somehow, when it comes time to resolve the charge, the Wile E Coyote laws of physics prevail, and his innattention allows him to hit Jasmin at Range 3 with his fist.  Fortunatly, internal FFT calculations remain intact, and his Charge +5 does 4 damage.  From this point on, it's all cleanup, and Shaker takes one last steal attempt before we crush the remainder.

And now comes the fated battle, and Cyril and his stalwart heros face off against Laggy and his nefarious crew.  The battle starts with Ciato being splattered.  She gets a chance to use Hi-Potion, but that's it before she's done.  Cyril then unloads a Haste that targets three PCs and Excal, cause who can resist being nice to the guy.  Two PCs and Excal get hit.  Excal retaliates by dropping a Confuse on Cyril, the ungrateful bastard.  In another amusing battle, Fargus runs off to enter an epic duel with Elfboy.  This becomes even more amusing when we realise that despite having a female sprite, the dread Elf in fact counts as a male zodiac wise due to having worst compatability with Fargus.  This leaves Fargus with bad odds to hit Laggy and Elfboy, not able to effect anyone else, and utterly incapable of doing anything notable even if he does hit.  Elfboy, for his part, MBarriers himself, allowing Laggy to join in on that.  Jasmin then hops up to Kiyomori herself and Fargus.  It's important to note now that Jasmin's turn was after Laggy went and after Excal locked his Confuse on Cyril, as when that Confuse resolved, not only was Cyril hit, but Laggy also slapped one on Jasmin, leaving us with 40% of our party confuzzled.  Cyril was no real threat as he started singing, while Fargus had to waste his turn unconfuzzling Jasmin.  This led to Cyril double turning Jasmin and using his shiny new Fairy Harp to kill Jasmin.  On the other side, Shaker reaches Excal, and the bloody git starts trying to strip him and then leave him for dead in the frozen wastes!  (Really, who'd do that to a nice guy like Excal?)  Fortunatly, Excal and his Feather Mantle are too much for the cocky knight.  Which is why they call in TG Cid and his Stasis Sword which effectively stops Excal.  He then gets MP busted, as Shaker continues indulging his kleptomania.  By this point the Elf has hit Fargus twice with Dark Holy for 70 some damage each time which would have been impressive if Auto Potion hadn't automatically kicked in.  But, with Jasmin back on her feet, and TG Cid saying hi (Auto-Haste really helps that hopping about) the Elf goes down.  And, mc has been favouring her physical over Math Skill, which means she's not been very effective at all.  And the battle continues with an Ether tossed by Laggy at Excal whose awesomeness has managed to stop all steal attempts even while stopped.  He then comes out of stop, targets Shaker with some status and...  Stasis Sword stops him in the middle of his casting.

At this point, it looks like a rout and a general steamrolling.  Sure, Laggy is unkillable and has Range 4 Phoenix Down, but what's that going to do?  And the best MC has been able to do is Slow TG Cid, and take down low HP units.  It's at this point that he gets the Elf back up as Cyril whiffs the shot on him, leading to Cyril falling.  Fargus brings him back, before Fargus gets killed.  Notably, gets killed without a Reraise in effect.  We now have a timer.

We quickly waste a turn with Cyril trying to Haste TG Cid.  That fails.  Cid gets a turn regardless and waxes Excal, while Shaker runs off to start hacking down MC.  MC pulls out his Math Mojo to off Cyril, but both she and her Laggy support fail to hit through Abandon.  Jasmin cuts down the Elf, but that counts for very little as Laggy brings him back, and the Elf takes down Jasmin.  Cyril then Slows Laggy as Cid gets his groove back and cuts down the Elf then Laggy and Shaker finishes MC in what was a slightly hectic finish.  And, in all of this, Excal claims the moral victory, having kept Shaker from stealing any of his gear despite half a dozen attempts.

Some quick notes.  The first three optional battles worked very well.  They should provide a decent challenge even on replays where we know what to expect and can prepare accordingly.  The only real issue with the second battle is the Bard.  He was utterly useless outside of Hasting the Mediator because he chose to waste all of his turns singing when if all he had done was attack us with that utterly freaking insane weapon of his, we almost certainly would have lost.  Using the AI flags to disable Sing is the recommendation we have for you there if it is possible.  As for the third battle, Ciato was a non factor.  We looked at her funny, she went squish, and Laggy never had a chance to get close enough to revive her so she was an utter non-factor in the fight.  The balance on the rest is funny enough that there's nothing I can say off the top of my head, and nothing the group really felt needed discussion.  Though it was noted that while Dark Holy's damage was fairly mockable for us, it was in large part because the period in which it was meant to be used the only target was Worst Compatability and Shelled, leading to 70 damage being pretty damn scary.  MC also feels like she could be better if she actually used more Math Skill as opposed to attacking.  But, nothing you can do there.

And here is where the log ends for this week.  Tune in next time, True Believers!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:33:42 AM by Excal »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 11, 2009, 03:26:00 AM »
Sup guys.  I haven't posted on the DL in a while, but I wanted to share my logs of my challenge runs in LFT.  Currently, I'm working on a Crystal Calculator SCC, but I have completed Archers and Samurai SCCs already.  Granted, the Archer SCC was done on an earlier version of the hack, but it should be somewhat the same in the latest one.  Just a few battles would be different.

You can find the logs on this list: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/jsh357/fft_lft_nerd_stuff

I've been playing pretty faithfully because I've honestly just been enjoying the hack. 

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 12, 2009, 03:27:58 AM »
Okay, so! With a shiny new text editor turns out I have some room for more cameos. Rules are as follows.

1. Any generic storyline enemy is fair game. Note that some of the enemy units' classes have been changed around a lot. Specify battle, and unit if you want to.
2. Name has to make sense (initials at worst) and the closer to a real name the better; "superaielman" got turned into "Super" for instance, and I browbeat "Hunter S" into "Soppy".
3. Not overly long. Try to limit to 8 characters or less.
4. Include a birthday (year not necessary).
5. If I run out of room, priority goes to people who've given me LFT feedback and people I know.

The following cameos already made the cut last time. Apologies if you asked and were omitted before; now's your chance.

Ko - Colierry Underground 3F
Alex (May 7) - Male Chemist in UBS2
Taishyr (Nov 2) - Male Summoner in UBS3
Gate (Sep 3) - Male Knight in UBS3
Andrew (Nov 3) - Male Thief in Dorter Trade City 2
Soppy (Nov 12) - Male Lancer in North Wall of Bethla Garrison
Super (June 17) - Male Knight in Fort Zeakden
C.K. (April 24) - Female Ninja in Bervenia Free City
Shale (Sep 9) - Male Wizard in Front Wall of Bethla Garrison
Hinode (July 3) - Male Samurai in Murond Death City (Kletian)
Grefter (April 22) - Male Knight in Zeklaus Desert
Strago (March 7) - Bard in Colierry Underground 2F
Laggy (July 2) - Colierry Underground 1F
m.c. (Feb 11) - Colierry Underground 1F
Excal (May 15) - Colierry Underground 1F
Ciato (May 8) - Colierry Underground 1F
Elfboy (Jan 22) - Colierry Underground 1F
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 12, 2009, 04:01:59 AM »
Snow: Male Oracle wherever you want, birthday January 11.

If you include Snowfire, make my nick Snwch (for Tonfa fanservice). Hello names just aren't feasible.

EDIT: My only requirement for the Oracle is that, if possible, he must equip a dictionary.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:01:26 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 12, 2009, 04:53:41 AM »
Oh, fuck it.  Why not.  I'm already immortalized on Alma's status screen.

OKnight, January 3rd.  Any battle, preferably near the end - I don't know the game enough to specify here.  Are there any female dancer or male bard enemies?  Preference in that order.  If not, Mime.  If not Chemist. 

Actually, Chemist first, followed by female dancer, male bard, Mime.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 12, 2009, 05:09:51 AM »
OK, you're a flying Chemist at Germinas Peak.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 12, 2009, 05:17:49 AM »
OK, you're a flying Chemist at Germinas Peak.
Watch out for the Chemist of Doom?
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 12, 2009, 05:37:51 AM »
I can't believe I actually want to PLAY this.  Anyone able to hook me up with a workable ePSXe with this?

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 12, 2009, 06:35:14 AM »
Alright, haven't really been posting a lot of my personal playthrough, but this battle must be recorded.

Yuguo Woods - Take 1.

The battle starts off normally enough, I field Samurai/Guts Ramza, along with Chemist Mustadio, Thief chick, Black Mage Oracle, and Agrias.  The enemy starts with a spam of slow, Haste, and elemental death.  Half my team is slowed, half their team is hasted, and one of each colour of mage is down.  At this point, anyone who isn't slow starts to get stopped as the ghostly trio pop in.  Two of them go down, though Mustadio misses his only shot at Seal Evil, having to pass two chances for killing a Wizard, and Phoenix Downing respectively.  Rafa, having been made a Knight, uses her unparallelled durability to hide in the corner and toss out completely useless Heaven Spam.  However, after being knocked out of Stop with a Bolt 3 (Heaven's Cloud FTW), Ramza notices that the remaining two mages are standing next to each other, and he busts their MP with a Bizen Boat.

At this point, there's two MPless mages near a Blade Grasp Samurai, and a ghost in critical with an Asura locked on him.  The first two enemies to drop are nearing 0 on their timer, but I'm in decent shape for if they do return.  Then came Murphy, and boy was he pissed.

It started with the Asura.  Despite corner targetting, all 7 shots missed.  Then the Time Mage crystalised, and the critted ghost could not only get it, he managed to kill my Oracle in the same move.  So, I try to off him, MP Switch kicks in.  Between his next turn and the ghost that got up behind Mustadio, he goes down.  But hey, I still have Ramza, right?  No way.  Over in his corner, the wizard walks up to Ramza, and while Ramza is a badass Samurai with front evade and Blade Grasp, he can't say no to an Axe to the Face, and joins Team Undead.  Agrias rushes in, but not even Lightning Stab can say no to an Axe to the Face.  And so a Giant Axe Wizard kills me off.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 12, 2009, 09:14:31 AM »
Since you guys are trying to avoid ways of cheesing out Wiegraf 3, I should let you know it can be done for 200 Chemist JP, 300 Archer JP, and unlocking Knight.  ie, Hi Potion, Speed Save, sit in Knight, and pick what speed you want to be at for Velius.  I accidentally stumbled on to that with Draw Out instead of Item while trying to find a way to beat that fight with a support character since breaking Heal Locks against him is equally as suicidal and pointless as just sitting there being locked.

But, yeah.  It's there, it's not hard, it's not even a lot of effort to setup if you give it any thought at all before hand.  (Or just happen to have the JP lying around which is also perfectly reasonable)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 12, 2009, 02:36:15 PM »
If you can do it with Hi Potion, you can probably do the same with Chakra without spending money.  Or Sunken State + Sing.  Or heck, as long as you're in Knight, just Power Break him to laughability, have HP Restore or Move HP Up set, and buff with your secondary....

Short of giving Wiegraf a WoW-style rage timer or disabling battle-duration buffs altogether, I don't think there's any way to prevent this.  In a 1v1 fight against the AI, once you have an edge in the battle you can do whatever you want and become progressively stronger.  A 1v1 leading into a boss is just an inherently abuseable battle design in FFT no matter how you slice it, it's an issue with the format of the fight.  (Which is why I don't think it's worthwhile trying to prevent "abuse" here at the cost of making the fight ridiculous for those who don't or can't cheese it...)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 12, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »
(Which is why I don't think it's worthwhile trying to prevent "abuse" here at the cost of making the fight ridiculous for those who don't or can't cheese it...)
The idea was never to make it ridiculous for people who can't cheese it.  First-pass we actually overcorrected a lot, and Wiegraf was dealing about 70 damage (72?).  That felt pretty sad.  So we've been trying to make the difficulty feel respectable again while crosschecking the problem SCCs--Laggy found some amusingly effective strategies in playtest (Poison Bow archers/squires!  No, really!)

I dunno--I think taking out Counter was a good idea, as Counter was causing problems for the kind of setup that already struggles with him.  Putting in MP Switch makes him a hard fight for most mages, which is a nice twist (I believe we concluded it's doable for all of them at normal levels, but it took some thinking, and usually neutral zodiac).  I still think it would be amusing to have Lightning Stab add Zombie, since Silence is a boring status (both PC side and enemy side) and when Silence is relevant it tends to be just "you lose", whereas Zombie you have a few options such as "OK, I guess I kill him now" and "Since I was using Item I guess I'll just use Holy Water...wow, I can't believe I actually used a Holy Water."  Granted, Laggy doesn't feel like Lightning adding Zombie makes any sense, so...I guess I scheme ways to get him to watch Frankenstein? >_>

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #469 on: June 12, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »
Ooh! Can I be one of Kletian's homies?

Another
(Hell Knight)
Sept 12

I'll PM you the details.

(I like Zombie on Lightning Stab. Smooke... goood.)

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 12, 2009, 06:08:15 PM »
And it giving Silence does make sense?  It's a divine sword rising from the ground after getting hit by a bolt of lighting called down from above.

As for Wiegraf, I completely agree, which is part of why I said that I found a pathetically easy way to cheese him simply by accident while trying to fight him.  The people who want to cheese him are going to regardless, while the harder you make him, the more people are just going to decide cheese is the only viable route, which makes balance for Velius that much harder to achieve.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 12, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
As for Wiegraf, I completely agree, which is part of why I said that I found a pathetically easy way to cheese him simply by accident while trying to fight him.  The people who want to cheese him are going to regardless, while the harder you make him, the more people are just going to decide cheese is the only viable route, which makes balance for Velius that much harder to achieve.

This pretty much echoes my sentiments. While I appreciate trying to make it an interesting fight, I still object to encouraging strategies that will turn Velius into an even more uninteresting fight than a Wiegraf 3 that's just a competence check as opposed to fight you'll lose on default unless you specifically set up for it. Also see Alex's earlier comments about SCCs and how you have to sit through the dialogue and duel everytime you wipe on Velius.

That said with everyone clamoring for it I suppose I could be convinced to make Lightning Stab add zombie instead of silence. >_> Only matters for Item and White Magic anyway... and one of those skillsets have Holy Water (and 108 Gems exists). Pretty much all it would do is make Auto Potion extremely risky. I guess that's not a bad thing to do overall.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 12, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
FLYING CHEMIST SHIT YEAH I AM HIIIIIIIIIIIGH

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 12, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »
See, and here I thought he'd appreciate being one of the Ultima Demons except placed really well to gank Alma.  Possibly with Item.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 12, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »
Pretty much all it would do is make Auto Potion extremely risky. I guess that's not a bad thing to do overall.
Well yeah, AP + Accumulate was the first "oh, duh, that's how you'd abuse him under the new setup" strategies I thought of.  It's not possible to eliminate all Wiegraf abuse strategies, but making them stuff that doesn't immediately jump to mind seems like a decent goal (like Speed Save--I tend to not think of it because I don't think of it as broken...unlike Auto Potion).