Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410699 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: FFT Changes
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2008, 02:22:11 AM »
THROW STONE MUST ADD STONE.

COUNTER TACKLE/DASH MUST ADD CONFUSION TO DEMONSTRATE HOW MAD IT IS TO USE THEM.

This is the way. I approve, Super.
We thought about a few things like this with Throw Stone, but the changes are not really viable.

Can't make them 100% knockback--it's hardcoded.

Add: confusion we thought about (because it cancels charge moves--Throw Stone already did this against Charge+X) but there's also the problem that half the time you use Throw Stone to CANCEL sleep/charm/confusion on your own party.

The change we did play with was...change Yell so that it can't self-target, and then gave it to Squire.  (Also upped it to 300 JP and dropped Accumulate).  Started a new playthrough with Gate/Laggy--nobody even bothered to get Yell (it's also basically worse than Cheer Song) so I'm not too worried.

You don't need to make Squire THAT good. It's the starter class for a reason, it shouldn't be buffed up enough to compete. Maybe Uber Squire maybe?
Ubersquire is insane already (Excalibur + Hats + excellent stats).  Starting classes having good all-round stats is hardly unprecedented (bare class).  That said, Basic Skill is Basic Skill--I agree that it should feel basic (which petrify definitely doesn't, for instance).

On an unrelated note, we're currently testing the idea of making Knights Move 4 Jump 2.  Since nothing in the game has Jump 2 normally, we don't even know if this will cause problems.  So far...

Fort Zeakden is weird--can't climb the high tower next to the start with Knight (though you hardly need to go up there, and could already keep enemy Knights from following you up there).  The bigger issue is that it may be affecting enemy AI (the Knights went towards the second formation instead of the first formation).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:48:56 PM by metroid composite »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2008, 02:40:56 AM »
Met: is sing supposed to not work on anyone with a negative status? Edit: OH. Sleep, duh.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46:43 AM »
Okay, more thoughts from Gate/Laggy/mc playthrough:

Knight Jump 2 experiment:
Zirekile Falls really falls apart (Jump 2 doesn't let you reach the high parts of the falls).  Hypothetically makes the fight easy--if you can reach the high areas, just use ranged attacks to kill the Knights.  Though...whatever, ZF is easy anyway.  What's more of a concern is that if you get into a random on ZF, and you use nothing but Knights, and you encounter enemy Knights, the battle will never end.  (There is a Chapter 4 random with Knights in it--not sure if they start in a different section of the falls, though).  That said, if you're using nothing but Knights in Chapter 4 and you don't have at least one with Germinas Boots or Spike Shoes or Ignore Height or whatever...I'd find this surprising.

Monk:
Tried Monk in the earlygame with the additional changes I detailed a few posts back.  With all the changes there were a few concerns.  For instance, I worried Move 4/Jump 4 Repeating Fist would step on Thieves for earlygame melee damage.
The reality here is different: RF is random with 1 vertical tolerance, so will often fail kills that would be guaranteed for Thieves.  Plus Thieves just surpass RF after a little while.

The other thing that came up that I hadn't really thought of...since you don't need Gained JP Up, you're free to pick up Equip Armor on the way through Knight, and then borrow Gafgarion's crazy Cross Helmet for the Monk (which we did).

On the whole, I felt a lot better about the JP costs of Punch Art, and I felt a lot better about the mobility (for all that I often failed to get into range, I did feel like I was keeping up with the party this time).  At the same time, I'm not about to call Monks overpowered--said Monk certainly wasn't our team's MVP (Mime), our team's best damage (Wizard), or our team's best anti-Knight unit (Maintenance Knight with Head Break and Armor Break).  He was also the only character who didn't have any revival (obviously that's going to change in the long run).  Looking forward to Chapter 3/4, most of what we changed about Punch Art setups were JP costs, which no longer matter once you have the skills learned, and certainly lategame Monk setups didn't break the game or anything (though they're fine).  Punch Art sometimes frustrated me lategame, but a huge part of that was that you formerly couldn't be in other jobs with Martial Arts and Gained JP Up at the same time (that's already fixed, woo).

So...yeah, I'm fairly satisfied with the newest (unreleased) Monk changes.

EDIT:
On a side note: I'm amused that enemies having Defence Up is what's making Armor Break/Head Break viable as damage.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:01:27 PM by metroid composite »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »
I'm going to pitch in a moment and say that Mime is so much hilarious fun and I'm glad mc talked me into making it sanely unlockable early on. Other than that... yeah, the battles have been plenty pitched for the most part, and even with a full 5-man party with fairly solid setups, it's rare to run into total pushovers. From what I recall of our first playthrough that didn't really happen till chapter 4 in any case (certain stretches were pretty much roadkill, especially since we had damage through the roof then) which kinda matches up with general expectations - and I went out of my way to make the endgame stretch exceptionally tougher, which actually more or less just made it competent rather than outright hard (definitely not the hardest fights in the game. Well, outside of Kletian >_>)

There's been a lot of updates, but I'm holding off releasing another version till I get some more feedback from people currently playing through.

Tweaked optional fights a bit. Gate saw one of them. I hope he approves.

Thanks for the support, NEB. When you have the time give it a spin if you don't mind - or for the final version at least?
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2008, 09:06:40 PM »
Said optional fight was hilarious, though you'll excuse me if I don't want to fight it with someone else's setup again. <_<;
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2008, 01:18:13 AM »
Update! First post has been edited to reflect all new changes.

* Bow Gun: reduced back to 3 WP from 4 WP
* FS Bag: added Start: Blood Suck
* Circlet: added Start: Berserk
* [Wish] CT increased from 0 to 7, now Cancels: Dead
* Squire's Move increased from 4 to 5, multipliers increased to 110 across board
* [Heal] now cures all negative status effects
* [Yell] added to Squire's ability list, cannot self-target
* [Magic Break] bug fixed (was doing 255% mMP damage at 255% base accuracy >_>)
* Monk's Move increased from 3 to 4
* [Raise 2] nerfed slightly (6 to 7 CT, MP cost 20 to 30)
* [Protect 2] and [Shell 2] have +1 effect area (Ramuh-radius)
* Wizard's MA Multiplier decreased from 150 to 140
* [Death] hit rate slightly increased (+160 to +180)
* [Haste 2] and [Slow 2] have +1 effect area (Ramuh-radius)
* Thief's HP Multiplier increased from 90 to 100
* [Persuade] and [Insult] have +1 effect area (cross-radius rather than ST)
* [Death Sentence] hit rate increased further (to +80)
* [Confusion Song] has +1 effect area (cross-radius rather than ST)
* Geomancer's multipliers (HP, MA, PA) increased to 125
* Samurai and Ninja class prereqs are no longer bugged
* [Kiyomori] bug fixed (was randomly adding Protect/Shell rather than both)
* Ninja's HP Multiplier decreased from 70 to 60
* [life Song] base HP restored decreased from 30 to 20
* [Cheer Song] CT increased from 8 to 10
* [Magic Song] CT decreased from 10 to 8
* [Last Song] hit rate increased from 50% to 100%
* [Slow Dance] CT increased from 8 to 10, hit rate increased from 50% to 100%
* [Disillusion] CT decreased from 10 to 8
* Mime's stats got much better in general (MP growth went from 30 to 6)
* Calculator's prereqs changed to: Priest JLV8, Wizard JLV8, Time Mage JLV8, Oracle JLV8, Geomancer JLV2, Lancer JLV2
* Calculator given innate [Teleport 2]
* [Non-charge] added to Calculator ability list (instant cast? Yours for the low, low price of 3000 JP!)
* [Shine Lover] added to Malak's ability list (it's so awesome. You need to see it to believe it.)
* Various JP cost changes (many many things went down, esp. uncommonly used Reaction and Support abilities)

Many encounters were tweaked in difficulty (both up and down), primarily at Queklain and beyond (the most significant ones in Chapter 4).

New ISO is being uploaded courtesy of Super. You can use a save file from the previous beta version and still continue a game with no problems. I'd recommend it rather than spending the time to start over. I'll post the new link when it's up (tonight or tomorrow at the latest). Ingame documentation still untouched.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:22:20 AM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2008, 05:47:40 AM »
Hmm...just for helpful comparison purposes, levels at which 110 speed multiplier and 100 speed multiplier actually have the same in-game speed (assuming standard growth):

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
(11 level gap)
18, 19, 20, 21, 22
(13 level gap)
35, 36, 37
(15 level gap)

Levels at which 110 speed mult and 120 speed mult actually have the same in-game speed (assuming standard growth):
8, 9, 10, 11, 12
(11 level gap)
23, 24, 25, 26
(12 level gap)
38, 39, 40
(13 level gap)

...Okay, I guess I should explain the context.  I'm mentally comparing new-Geomancer stats to new-Squire stats, and new-Thief stats to new-Ninja stats.  Squire and Geo both seem to have a strong niche; Geo's overall better, but more speed can certainly trump everything else.  Also, sometimes the Geo Shield will be irrelevant (if you're using Jump+Axe), and Move 5 is liked by a couple skillsets (range 1 Life Drain, Draw Out).

Thief vs Ninja is much more in Ninja's favour--and frankly that's intentional (don't want to raise Thieves to Ninja power level--why would you bother unlocking Ninja then?)  That said, Thieves always had one advantage over Ninjas--HP.  We emphasized the HP disparity a little more (was 70 HPM vs 90 HPM, now 60 HPM vs 100 HPM).  So...at level 40 endgame, if you feel your Ninja needs 50 more HP you........take off the Power Sleeve and give him a Black Costume.  ...Riiight >_>.  But at level 99 with Mime HP growth, Ninja vs Thief is nearly a 200 HP gap; that's not easily bridged with equipment.

Honestly a weird pair of classes to balance--Thieves are your dual-wielders pre-Ninja, and Ninja needs to feel like a nice rewarding step up since you work for the unlock and stats are basically all Ninjas have (whereas Thieves have Move+2, Secret Hunt, etc).  The thing to do is to specialize in stuff that Ninja ignores....which boils down to HP/MP/MA.  Thieves do MP/MA worse than Ninjas (and they should--Ninjas are mystical, Thieves are practical).  Not to mention, if Thieves tried to push "I have balanced physical/magical stats", they'd be stepping on Squires.  HP works as an angle, though.  I'll have to see if I can think of anything else that's fairly niche (so won't make Ninjas feel less special) that we could be emphasize about Thieves.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:12:14 AM by metroid composite »

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2008, 08:32:42 AM »
Link removed, but let's all continue to eye Laggy.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:07:20 PM by Dunefar »
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
Trouble fights in C2:

Execution site- Time Mages can have Haste and Slow 2, this is not good news. With the archers being better general, they're good at putting pressuring on your healers. I got overwhelmed the first time through- AI was smart and redirected a Bolt 3, frying a few PC's. Also had bad luck with an Archer OHKOing Ramza.

Saving Agrias wasn't hard at all, though you have to be careful and watch her- Knights can and will break her weapon, making her entirely useless. Lost her armor and sword in the fight, which sucked. I was short on swords as is before that. *Shakes fist*

Goug was managable in spite of the thieves, nothing else really of note. Gaf was even sadder than usual, Bard Ramza with a weapon break owned him bad.

Olan may be one of the harder fights in C3 as well. He got killed in two attacks thanks to the thieves and favors his physical more now as well. Won it on my second try, when I got Ramza up there to guard him (Bard Ramza makes a nice target) while Agrias and my Thief went to work kicking his ass.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »
So...Laggy and I have been bouncing more ideas off of each other.

Thief:
* Swapped Speed Growth with Ninja (now gamebest, while Ninja is second best).
* Gained innate Secret Hunt

I'm pretty happy with these changes--it's enough to cement Thief as the "training" class, and Ninja as the "smashing" class.

In other notes, Laggy and I realized that we were both thinking that Mediator was probably the weakest class in the game now.  Yeah, Talk Skill is improved, but fundamentally if you want a gun-user, you're going to pick the class that has better skillset (Chemist) and the better stats (sadly also Chemist.  Although, granted, Chemists can't wear robes--that's the one point in the Mediator column!)  Right, let's fix that stats issue...
(PREVIEW)
-Mediator-
* MP Growth increased from 18 to 11
* HP Multiplier increased from 80 to 85
* MP Multiplier increased from 70 to 85
* Speed Multiplier increased from 100 to 105
* PA Multiplier increased from 75 to 105
* MA Multiplier increased from 75 to 105
* Can equip Books
Chemist/Mediator had a lot of mults that ended in 5, so we kept that theme.  Didn't want their stats to look exactly like new-Squire (class variety and such), so decided on some bad stats (HP/MP seem most in-spirit).  Laggy suggested books; I approved.  So...then it came down to push guns (high speed) or push books (high PA/MA).  Laggy suggested books; I approved.  That said, there's a limit to what made sense in their mults--115 PA would give them more PA than Archers, which would be o_O.  115 MA would give them more MA than Priests, which would be o_O.  So...105/105 works.  As for 105 speed...why not?

What are the implications of this?  I'm not actually sure yet--I do know that Thief with Punch Art, Martial Arts, and +7 PA equipment felt plenty adequate to me stat-wise...and now Mediator can do the same thing, except with guns instead of dual punches, and a much deadlier skillset than Steal.  Sounds like an interesting trade to me.  Or what about Draw Out with Guns (especially before chapter 4 when DO gets an 8-range move)?  Also sounds interesting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:30:05 PM by metroid composite »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2008, 09:17:59 PM »

(Working on documentation!)

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2008, 09:19:17 PM »
Rockin'. This hack sounds great and I'll definitely give it a shot when it's finished.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2008, 06:19:20 AM »
Hmm...rough thoughts on the best class at using each skillset.  As a general rule, this does NOT consider the physical damage the class does.  (Sometimes it comes up anyway, like Charge).

Basic Skill:
Squire/Ninja/Knight/Bard
I'm assuming it's being used mostly for Yell/Heal, which means you only really care about speed, mobility, and durability.

Item:
Chemist/Ninja/Knight/Bard
Chemist has innate Throw Item.  Past that, speed/durability are your main concerns.

Battle Skill:
Chemist/Thief, Mediator/Ninja)
You're looking for range or break twice.  Thief gives you more HP than Ninja (and PA doesn't matter for breaks), Chemist gives you essentials that Mediator fails at (revival, etc).  That said, Ninja/Mediator are both faster, so arguably better.

Charge:
Bard/Mediator/Chemist/Ninja:
Charge more exploits certain aspects of a class than gets used by that class' stats.  In Bard's case, Harps have crazy WP now.  In Mediator's case, we just added innate: Train, which combines extremely well with Charge.  Chemist...guns with a skillset.  Ninja: highest damage in the game, in case you're not killing assassination missions.

White Magic:
Wizard/Geomancer, Squire/Priest, Knight
For max damage/healing, best practical speed with MP-based revival, and unkillable healer respectively.

Black Magic:
Wizard (Summoner, Geomancer, Squire/Priest, Knight)
Fun trick about 18 CT death: it doesn't take two full turns if you have 5 speed...which Summoners do at low levels.  Though...yeah, mostly you want to just Bolt stuff dead, which means Wizard (and I guess arguably Geo at endgame).

Punch Art:
Dancer, Ninja, Monk
Two classes can have Martial Arts + Attack Up.  Monk, naturally, and Dancer.  I recently talked Laggy into adding some Dancer-unique PA boosting (cloths)--now female Dancers they can compete with male Monks.  (Typically more damage with Earth Slash, but less move/jump/speed/HP.  Worse everything at level 99, though).  Ninja doesn't have innate Attack Up or innate Martial Arts; Ninja just smokes both classes for stats.

Steal:
Knight, Ninja, Bard
Percentages be damned--faster = more chances to steal.  (Monk/Dancer technically get the highest percentages).  Knight's also durable--not being dead helps.

Yin Yang Magic:
Squire, Knight, (Geomancer, Priest)
YYM cares about three things: Speed, Move (especially now that Life Drain is range 1), and non-crap MP.  Ninja/Bard does speed, but fails the non-crap MP.  Squire is tied for #2 speed, #1 move, and fairly high up on MP (Priests beat).  Knight's just that durable, and has enough MP.  Geo's got plenty of everything but speed, but being a charge skillset you may want to make yourself slower.

Time Magic:
Wizard, (Priest, Squire, Summoner)
Okay, everyone uses Haste pretty good, so I'm focusing on the serious resource intensive Meteor/Quick stuff.  Wizard's always at least tied for the best MA (well...Time Mages would have beat nerfed Wizards briefly in Chapter 2 if Poison Rods hadn't been given a purpose *shakes fist*).  Speed's the other thing I look for when, say, trying to Meteor the Ninjas at Yardow (Speed 8 needed).  Priest does that better (Wizard Staff gives them +1 MA over Squire, and they have more MP).  On paper Squire does this job better in Chapter 4 (Rune Blade one-ups Wizard Staff, MP equipment is easier to come by, and the MP gap is 110 to 120).  Summoner...they do have the most MP, and sometimes you need to twink speed downward.

Elemental:
Geomancer
This used to be almost close.  Almost.

Jump:
Geomancer, Ninja, Squire, Knight, Lancer, Bard, Archer
Jumpers want to be fast...but not too fast (faster than the enemies = fail, Ninja/Bard).  Lancers like weapons with the most WP...which would be Harps (sadly Bard PA fails so much that this is questionable), followed by Knight Swords (good, but rare) and Axes (Squire and Geo have great stats for this).  Oh, obviously Spears; though you can learn Equip Spear.  (Randomly, except for Ninja, the best classes to stick Equip Spear on already had Axes/Knight Swords as an option).  Oh, tossed Archer in there in case you learn Level Jump 8, but haven't learned any vertical abilities (Ignore Height innate).

Talk Skill:
Mediator, Ninja, Bard
Mediator has innate Monster Talk, Ninja/Bard has speed.

Summon:
Wizard, Geomancer, (Priest, Squire, Knight)
Summon generally wants the most MA, and a good bit of MP.  I've already covered the short-charge meteor angle, which covers the big summons (and why you might consider Priest/Squire to make the timing work).  Knight...Golem produces a shield that's equal to your HP total.

Dance:
Knight, (Dancer, Ninja)
Once you start dancing, generally all that matters is durability.  Best Wiznaibus damage...with the carpet change now comes from Dancer rather than Ninja.  Ninja does still have speed (start Nameless Dance sooner).

Sing:
Knight, (Wizard, Bard)
Again, durability is the big thing you notice.  Wizard will do the most healing/MP healing.  Bard...starts the song sooner.

Throw:
Ninja, Squire, Bard
Throw is based on two things: Speed (damage), and Movement (range).  Bard > Ninja > Squire for speed.  Squire > Ninja > Bard for movement.

Side note: hadn't realized it, but yes, assuming 100 growth, Bard's ahead of Ninja for speed from levels 1-12, 18-26, 36-41, and a couple others.  Ninja wins at high levels...or if it's a female Ninja with either H-Bag or Setiemson (H-Bag is all that's needed)...or during practical gameplay because Ninja has better speed growth.  And Ninja has more damage.  And Ninja has a good non-speed stat.  Yeah...seems okay to me.  Still...O_O Harps.

Draw Out
Geomancer, Squire, Wizard, Knight
Shortly after you finish getting Samurai JP, Rune Blades probably show up (which makes Geo a lot more attractive than Wizard; Wizard's still worth mentioning in case you get done early).  Draw Out also cares a lot about move, being a short-range skillset.  Geos do move.  So do Squires, and Squire extra speed is also welcome.  Knight...invincible healer, and Kiyomori doesn't depend on offence stats, and DO involves getting up close and personal.

Math Skill
Geomancer, Wizard, Squire, Knight, Bard, Ninja
I was all excited that Time Mage would get a moment in the sun, what with a secret staff that strengthens holy--but then I remembered MS doesn't have Holy now, D'oh.  With those unlocks, safe to assume MS = Chapter 4 = Rune Blades, so Squire's just better than Priest as speed-class.  Excalibur's still plenty tempting on Knight without the Holy stuff mattering.  Bard and Ninja are fast.  You probably want Flame Shields all around now, but Equip Shield exists.

EDIT:
Scorecard--I gave 5 points to whichever class was first in the list for a skillset, and 1 point to the rest.  Note that this only measures stats, and for the most part ignores the class physical attack (except Charge and Battle Skill).  While I did do calculations, some of this is gut reactions which might be off.  Not every skillset is of equal importance.  And...some classes with good stats don't show up here at all because they're not #1 in anything (Time Mage is almost as good as Wizard...yet not even on this list).
Knight: 24
Geomancer: 24
Wizard: 23
Squire: 18
Ninja: 15
Bard: 13
Chemist: 11
Mediator: 7
Dancer: 6
Priest: 5
Summoner: 2
Thief: 1
Monk: 1
Lancer: 1
Archer: 1

Might seem like this is centered around a small number of classes, but...honestly? Standard FFT would probably see 35 points for Wizard, 40 points for Ninja, 15 points for Chemist, and...everyone else in single digits if that.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:39:25 AM by metroid composite »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »
Physical attack

Okay, decided to replicate an experiment Elfboy did with regular FFT--namely, look at a spreadsheet of the best physical attack of each class after every piece of equipment shows up.

Notable assumptions (trying to copy Elfboy's old chart for easier comparison purposes)
*no accessories
*no support abilities
*no swapping genders--makes the spreadsheet too annoying, among other issues
*brave = 70
(I also forgot to look at Flails in Priest)

I got something like this:

1:"Ninja":61.69
2:"Thief":47.5
3:"Geomancer":39.18
4:"Samurai":36.58
5:"Squire":34.55
6:"Mime":31.33
7:"Knight":30.72
8:"Dancer":29.77
9:"Monk":29.76
10:"Oracle":28.97
11:"Lancer":26.59
12:"Mediator":26.24
13:"Bard":25.99
14:"Archer":25.07
15:"Time Mage":22.77
16:"Summoner":21.72
17:"Chemist":19.86
18:"Priest":19.73

Which got a response "Bard is #13?  No way, I've used them, I know they're better than that."  So...I threw out all checkpoints before meeting at Lionel (i.e. when most classes get their weapons), and tried again.

1:"Ninja":47.16
2:"Thief":36.13
3:"Samurai":30.83
4:"Geomancer":30
5:"Squire":26.75
6:"Bard":25.85
7:"Dancer":23.48
8:"Oracle":23.26
10:"Knight":22.44
11:"Monk":21.39
12:"Mime":21.36
13:"Mediator":20.55
13:"Archer":19.86
14:"Lancer":19.4
15:"Time Mage":17.03
16:"Summoner":16.31
17:"Chemist":15.22
18:"Priest":14.97

Didn't bother with Wizard (dead last the previous time) or Calculator (...whatever).  Biggest surprise to me is Dancer--yeah carpets are improved, but a lot of this is improved daggers + Attack Up.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
Laggy wanted me to post the most recent changes:

Air Knife 12 -> 11 WP
(This...well Dancers were switching back to knives at endgame, and 12 WP matches the best storebought spear/stick, which seemed a bit wrong)
* Zorlin Shape: 13 -> 14 WP, Evade 20% -> 30%
* Sasuke Knife: 14 -> 21 WP, added Jump +2
* Iga Knife: 15 -> 17 WP, added Add: Stop
* Koga Knife: 15 -> 17 WP, added Add: Poison
* Defender: gained Always: Regen
* Materia Blade: 15 -> 17 WP, halves and strengthens all elements, Add: Petrify, no longer has MA+2
* Save the Queen: 18 -> 21 WP
* Excalibur: 21 -> 18 WP, Evade 30% -> 20%
* Chaos Blade: removed Always: Regen, Add: Petrify
* Axes: 20% evade -> 35% evade
* Mace of Zeus: 6 -> 8 WP
* Silver Bow: availability moved (Ch4 Bethla), 1500 -> 22000 gp, 5 -> 10 WP
* Ultimus Bow: 10 -> 14 WP, randomly casts Ultima, 22000 -> 40000 gp
(Basically, we can't make Ultimus Bow storebought, and nobody cared about the Silver Bow that has exactly the same WP as the Ice Bow, so we made that the final bow instead).
* Fairy Harp 30 WP -> 45 WP, now adds Invite instead of Charm
* Madlemgen: 11 -> 20 WP, added Water-elemental, randomly casts Leviathan
* Persia, Cashmere, Ryozan Silk: added PA +3
* Platina Shield: M.Block 10% -> 15%
* Genji Shield: added PA +1, P.Block 43% -> 50%, M.Block 0% -> 10%
* Circlet: added Start: Berserk
* Genji Helmet: added PA +1
* Grand Helmet: immunes Confusion, Berserk, Charm (along with Darkness/Sleep)
* Genji Armor: added PA +1
* Power Wrist: 5000 -> 4500 gp
* Remedy: 350 -> 1000 gp

Poaching:
* A bunch of monsters now can poach Elixirs (see first post for complete list)
Fairy Harp now the rare Tiamat poach
Defender now on Trent rather than Taiju
Whale Whisker now on Taiju (rare) (OMG in chapter 3)
Ivory Rod now a common poach (on Minitaurus)
Sacred's rare poach switched to Ice Brand (Minitaurus' old common poach--Coral Sword--no longer poachable)

Abilities:

Elixir 250JP -> 300 JP

Charge+4 faster (5ctr->4ctr)
Charge+5 faster (7ctr->6ctr)
Charge+7 faster (9ctr->8ctr)

* [Secret Fist] hit rate increased from +50 to +70

* [Cure] MP cost decreased from 6 to 4, CT decreased from 4 to 2
* [Cure 2] MP cost decreased from 10 to 8, CT decreased from 5 to 4
* [Cure 3] MP cost decreased from 16 to 12, CT decreased from 7 to 6
* [Cure 4] effect area increased from 2 to 3, CT decreased from 10 to 8, MP cost decreased from 20 to 16
* All abilities that were 1ctr (Protect 2/Shell2/Haste2/Slow2) now 2ctr, since 1ctr doesn't work in documentation.
* [Wall] MP cost decreased from 18 to 6
* [Esuna] MP cost increased from 8 to 10

* [Fire 4], [Bolt 4], and [Ice 4] MP cost decreased from 48 to 36
* [Poison] MP cost decreased from 6 to 1

... Meteor: 1500 -> 1200 JP

... Cyclops: 1000 -> 800 JP

Thief gained innate Secret Hunt

-Mediator-
* MP Growth increased from 18 to 11
* HP Multiplier increased from 80 to 85
* MP Multiplier increased from 70 to 85
* Speed Multiplier increased from 100 to 105
* PA Multiplier increased from 75 to 105
* MA Multiplier increased from 75 to 105
* Can equip Books
* Acquired innate [train]
* [Praise] and [Preach] hit rate increased to 100%
* [Death Sentence] hit rate increased from +70 to +80
* [Negotiate] hit rate decreased from +90 to +60, added Add: Stop
* [Insult] hit rate increased from +40 to +70, no longer has area
* [Mimic Daravon] hit rate increased from +40 to +50
  ... Death Sentence: 250 -> 100 JP

* [Dispel Magic] effect area decreased from 3 to 2, vertical tolerance increased from 0 to 1

* [Asura] multiplier increased from 8 to 10
* [Bizen Boat] multiplier increased from 8 to 10
* [Heaven's Cloud] no longer Adds: Slow, now Adds: Dead or Charm

-Soldier- (Cloud)
* Joins at Party Level rather than Level 1

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2008, 10:38:42 PM »
AWESOME work. Quick question: Are you going to do anything to Maximillion to make it worth considering at all? Maybe take protect/shell off the robe of lords and stick it on that?
-------------------

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2008, 02:24:12 AM »
The latest changes have been posted, and version 3 is being uploaded.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that a final release isn't far off, and version 3 includes IN-GAME DOCUMENTATION (select button will work and show correct data for equipment and abilities! Please use this, many many Laggy-hours were sunk into cursing FFT programmers.) Thanks again to Super for handling the upload.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2008, 02:39:38 AM »
And a medal of dishonor for Laggy's exceptionally shitty connection.

And yeah, the documentation's really nice to have .I use it all the time normally when I play FFT.
-------------------

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2008, 03:31:44 AM »
Are there any plans to rebalance monsters? I'd be interested in seeing them generally improved so that you might actually use more of them as alternatives to PCs... or failing that, at least being less awful as enemies.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2008, 03:48:09 AM »
That was the last potential thing on the plate that could be addressed, yes. m.c. and I were sorely tempted at times, but I put it off mainly because if I edited one monster, I'd have to do them all.

With the rest of the work mostly done, though, I'll probably work on that next, for all that monster balance isn't quite as intuitive to me on a personal level.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2008, 05:11:21 AM »
LFT: Just beat up Orebonne 2's arc. Wiegraf 2 has a cute gimmick that was part of the reason I had a reset there (Seriously shitty luck there, missing two 75% physicals+getting put to sleep by a single enemy physical, among other things). Smashed him with a serious team, took the crystal helmet.
-------------------

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2008, 07:30:34 AM »
LFT, Archer SCC:  So I'm going to have to level to beat Dorter.

Okay, I don't have to level per se.  But I need Battle Boots/Feather Hat/Leather Outfit on everyone.  Particularly Battle Boots.  The fight itself isn't THAT bad, just have to make sure no one dies early on, preferably by murdersaucing the wizards midcharge and the enemy archers being stuck with fists rather than Bow Guns.  Top archer dies first, Knight dies last.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2008, 07:32:17 AM »
Are there any plans to rebalance monsters? I'd be interested in seeing them generally improved so that you might actually use more of them as alternatives to PCs... or failing that, at least being less awful as enemies.
I dunno about alternatives to PCs.  I mean, in order to even consider them they're going to have to beat Mime stats.  Monster mults that would be about equivalent to what Mime was given:

HPM: 170 (monsters do have better starting HP)
PAM: 160 (monsters have higher starting PA, but no innate Martial Arts).
SPM: 140 (monsters have worse starting speed).
Move 5, Jump 5, 50% front evade

Remember, this is the minimum for stats--what you care about with Mime isn't its ability to walk up and punch people.  This doesn't give a lot to work with (maximum multiplier is 250).  There's also the concern of keeping randoms sane--with mults like that, Red Goblins would steamroll chapter 1 Squires.  I guess the thing to mess with would be growths (and move/jump).
AWESOME work. Quick question: Are you going to do anything to Maximillion to make it worth considering at all? Maybe take protect/shell off the robe of lords and stick it on that?
Maximillian is useful; my aftergame-with-items party in regular FFT certainly uses it.  It's not as powerful as Robe of Lords, but nothing is.  The trick being that there's only one RoL, everybody can wear it, and everybody wants to wear it.  The interesting decision with RoL is less "should I wear it?" and more "who is going to wear it?"  One item like that is fine, lots is a bit silly.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:38:14 AM by metroid composite »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2008, 07:56:53 AM »
Well yeah, monsters need growths rather than stats, and you already hit on why. Since their skills aren't developping the way humans' are, their stats NEED to get relatively better as the game goes on. Otherwise they will either be overpowered early or too weak late. To some degree FFT already does this (at Level 99, people fear monster randoms more than humans, with a few exceptions...), but you could make it more extreme.

Basically Goblins should not be mowing down Level 1 Squires, but nor should an endgame party be completely mowing down Gabbledegaks either, and that's already the case in FFT, let alone an ubered party.

You do risk making DD monsters super psychotic with this, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2008, 08:24:59 AM »
Tried Dorter again after getting Battle Boots on everyone.  Two folks had good compat with the archer up top and killed him quickly, so Delita went after the Knight like a good little damage sponge ought to.  Killed both wizards, everything was peachy.... except I just could not finish off the knight and the last archer before someone crystallized. 

I'm 10HKOing the Knight.

Yeah.