Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410688 times)

heretic

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)
« Reply #2000 on: July 09, 2018, 10:28:50 PM »
Great to know thanks! That version has been smooth sailing through the rest of Act 1 so far. Enjoying it :D

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: September 28, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
Laggy, could I possibly request a name and gender change to my LFT cameo? I hate to ask this so long after development is basically over, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: September 29, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
Ok, but I'll ask that you test these PPFs with a save file at your cameo fight to confirm it works in every version since there are a lot of them now and I don't happen to have a save anymore there.

Also while I'm at it:
- Thieves in Goland Coal City fight have fixed bad zodiac compat with Olan
- Steal Exp base hit rate changed from 70 to 255 (YES THIS CAME UP IN A PLAYTHROUGH)
- Elmdor 2 changed from Teleport 2 to Teleport (yeah I've wanted to make this change for a while)
- Wiegraf 3's HP mult 70->140 (230->300 HP), MP mult 75->0 (1 MP), PA mult 70->116 (5->8 PA), Speed mult 110->100 (8->7 Spd), removed Diamond Shield/Diamond Armlet (-1 PA), removed Move+1, dropped Wave Fist from his skillset; added 108 Gems, Move-Get Exp (post Lightning Stab range nerf alterations - tankier but no RNG evasion, more damaging, slower, 1 less Move, 60 damage Earth Slash!!!)
- Robe of Lords got Protect back
- Diamond Armlet got Slow immunity back
- Elf Mantle lost the Slow immunity it stole from Diamond Armlet

http://www.rpgdl.com/LFT/LFT_Patch.ppf
http://www.rpgdl.com/LFT/LFT_Patch_NoMusic.ppf
http://www.rpgdl.com/LFT/LFT_NoRSMLimit.ppf
http://www.rpgdl.com/LFT/LFT+Complete_Patch.ppf
http://www.rpgdl.com/LFT/LFT+Complete_Patch_NoMusic.ppf
http://www.rpgdl.com/LFT/LFT+Complete_NoRSMLimit.ppf

EDIT: I also updated the front page (finally) with the NoRSM versions linked since people keep wandering in here looking for them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:22:45 PM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

TigerKnee

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: October 12, 2018, 11:39:24 AM »
I'm curious to know what event led to the Steal EXP change.

Is Diamond Armlet / Elf Mantle more to buff the former or is the latter considered too strong?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: October 12, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
I did a playthrough where I wanted a unit to stay at Level 1 until Mime was unlocked for growth purposes.

Re: Diamond Armlet/Elf Mantle, the former, and Elf Mantle wasn't really in danger of being ignored anyway.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

fftnoob

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: October 25, 2018, 02:27:47 AM »
Hi Laggy,

Out of curiosity, would it be difficult for me to add my own custom job to your mod? As my username suggests, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the hacktics side of things, although I finally had some success editing Simon so that I could make a custom job in FFT Complete. But I like the sounds of your mod and how there is thought given to long term usability for different jobs and balancing.

Is the same method of editing Simon possible with your mod?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: October 25, 2018, 05:36:46 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be. I haven't looked at hacktics tools in ages so unfortunately I don't know much about adding custom jobs at a technical level but I don't know of anything done in LFT that would prevent you from doing so if you're able to do it in FFT Complete.

fftnoob

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: October 25, 2018, 08:20:09 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Laggy! So awesome as a newcomer to this world to see someone so dedicated! I'll give it a try!

fftnoob

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: October 27, 2018, 01:00:06 AM »
Hi Laggy,

I've gone through and tried to add my own character/job in LFT, but I found that Simon's "Bishop" class was being used in Bevernia Volcano North 5 by a certain unit, and the name "Dish" was taken by m.c. (female calculator, Underground 1F). Dish is unfortunately the name that I edited to get my own character in-game.

I patched using FFTactext to get my job/character in-game prior to patching LFT on top of it. But now when I try to open up the newly LFT-patched bin file, I get an error telling me that the "input string was not in a correct format". I just wanted to open up the game to re-edit my stuff in, but now I'm wondering if it's even possible given the many changes that were made for LFT, and the fickle nature of FFTactext.

Any ideas on what I could do?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 01:16:54 AM by fftnoob »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: October 27, 2018, 02:00:00 AM »
You can just overwrite the Bishop class given that it's a single optional fight with your own changes. That's not going to impede anything.

Tactext is more tricky.... it's pretty fickle. Can you re-do your changes manually on top of the LFT-patched bin instead of applying your own Tactext? There's probably some conflict happening there. You shouldn't see any errors with LFT by itself.

fftnoob

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: October 27, 2018, 02:18:03 AM »
It was actually in trying to open the LFT-patched bin that I got the errors. I could try it without patching my changes first though. Or do you mean a different way than Tactext?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: October 27, 2018, 06:05:32 AM »
Yes, without patching your changes first.

I'm opening with Tactext on LFT and not getting the error at all.

fftnoob

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: October 27, 2018, 06:31:49 AM »
Okay thanks! I'll give that a shot and report back later!

fftnoob

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: October 28, 2018, 06:32:00 AM »
Laggy, you're a genius! It's all done! Thanks so much!

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: October 29, 2018, 06:27:33 PM »
Glad to hear it! Hope you have fun playing through!

fftnoob

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: October 30, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »
I'm having a bit of an issue!

When I try to change the abilities on anyone in-game (for example, setting Item as Ramza's second ability), the game locks up. This happens for all characters and all abilities. Any ideas?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: October 30, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
Yeah... that's new to me; never seen anyone report that. Might be a conflict with something you're doing with the custom job. You can try using the NoRSM version of LFT and see if the issue goes away, but that's about the only thing I've got.

fftnoob

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: October 31, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
Good suggestion - the no rsm version worked! Hopefully no more bugs this time around!

Vennobennu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: November 09, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »
Hi,
I started playing your LFT mod recently; I just finished the Orbonne battles in C3 and it's been a lot of fun so far. The class changes work really well; things like Archers having Ignore Height make so much of sense you wonder that it wasn't always like that. The difficulty feels a little higher and more consistent than the original, which is just right for a casual like me who hasn't played FFT in years. Until I fought Queklain the battle I had most trouble with was Fovoham Plains of all places - partly because my Wizard and Knight had bad compatibility with Wiegraf I struggled mightily to wear him down before somebody crystallized. Zeakden was similar - it turned into a desperate race by Ramza and my Priest to revive people while the enemy Knights kept wailing on them. I only won on the first try because Ramza had Arrow Guard and was able to block several fatal shots.

Queklain also was a big problem, because he would sleep or petrify two or three people at the start and between him and his bodyguards I couldn't keep up. Eventually I hit on the plan of grouping most of my units together so he would cast his damaging spell which was much easier to deal with. From there my Oracle was able to Petrify the Knights at great odds, my Wizard got Haste up, and Ramza+my own Knight layered a few Mind Breaks which put a stop to the really scary stuff. Petrify in general was very helpful against Knights. For a while I had fun with my Equip Shield/Weapon Guard Oracle with a Small Mantle being mostly immune to physical attacks, but since she had such low HP the enemies would have a try regardless - very handy for keeping my Archer and Wizard safe.

Anyway, thanks for the great mod! I'm already dreaming up variant playthroughs I want to try after this normal one completes.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: November 12, 2018, 06:57:03 PM »
Hi, I'm glad to hear it! It's always fun to hear people talking about their first playthrough experiences so please feel free to share more of your thoughts or stories if you're up to it. Thanks for posting and I hope you continue enjoying the mod!

Out of curiosity, where did you find out about LFT?

Vennobennu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 13, 2018, 02:25:07 AM »
Oh, I heard about LFT from a friend on Discord while we were talking about SRPGs in general. She gave it her recommendation.

Made it through a few maps since my last post.
Orbonne 1 (Lancers): Tricky, because the Time Mages will haste up themselves and the Lancers, who hit very hard and were the main reason I had one wipe here trying to get by with my lower-leveled Samurai and Chemist!Mustadio. On the second go I wised up and brought my Archer; judicious use of Charge (love this skill, for real) and a combination of Petrify and Bolt 3 on a few Lancers won the day.

Orbonne 2 (Izlude): My first two tries quickly ended in failure when my Lancer and Ramza fell victim to Izlude and eating Windslash Bow hits while floating, respectively. This is a problem when Ramza is the only one who can revive! After playing around with a few strategies I settled on having everyone hang back, get Hasted, and move along the edge while picking off the enemies as they drew near, starting with a good Charge at the nearby Summoner. Death came in handy here when my Wizard was able to tag VySaika the Knight at 100% odds and run off. In the end I killed all the enemies on the map before dealing with Izlude, who was meanwhile distracted by Phoenix Down'ing people for him to stab to death.

Orbonne 3 (Wiegraf): Well, on the first attempt Lightning Stab and a Geomancer killed two people right off the bat and disabled a third. Then I made a better starting formation, replaced peoples' Wizard Robes with more durable stuff, and won handily. This is a very, very simple battle - don't let Wiegraf get a second action, or else.

After a few propositions, it was time for the journey to Riovanes. First up is Grog Hill. This one was pretty easy. Only a couple of the enemies come at you from the start, and as amusing as the dual-wielding Katana Thief is, he's easily handled by two Threatens. His Brave is so low he always Quick Attacked anyway...at least I was able to steal his Kiyomori.

Yardow Fort City: Several resets were had here. The first one was from Rafa dying before I had a single turn; subsequent attempts foundered on the rocks of the Summoners casting Leviathan (oh god) or Odin (oh god again). Luckily it turned out my Lancer (now an Equip Spear Knight) could OHKO the nearby Summoner with a Jump, despite her being at Level 28(!), and if your team is positioned right she won't cast anything on her first turn. On the winning run, the other enemies bunched up near the entrance in such a way that Monk Ramza, also with Attack Up, could Spin Fist four of them; I also took advantage of the Kiyomori steal to layer Shell on everyone to absorb the other Summoner's Leviathan. After that it was all downhill.

Yuguo Woods was a breather, despite almost everyone getting Slowed at the start followed by both Wizards charging Death spells (one missed). Fortunately Mustadio as a Chemist went before the Slow 2 went off and was able to Seal Evil the closest ghost. I can see how this battle could go south, between the Slows and Stops and Shadow Stitches and Deaths, but I didn't see much offense from the enemies here...the ghosts did really pitiful damage when they weren't Stopping people. I was able to kill one of the Wizards before he could finish charging an Ice3 and after that it was a mop-up.

At this point my team consists of:
Ramza: Went most of the way through Monk and Geomancer, with only Revive and Martial Arts left to pick up (and Counter/Hamedo but I'm not going there just yet). Maybe he'll be a punching Ninja? Or just go back to Squire when C4 happens. I haven't planned his class setup at all.

Knight with Jump/Equip Spear/PA Save/Move-HP Up. Love this dude, he leaps at people for way too much damage and hardly ever dies.

Oracle with White Magic, Equip Shield and Weapon Guard: still needs to go back into Priest to pick up the heavier spells. I managed to poach an Ivory Rod at the start of Chapter 3, briefly making her my best attacker until I gave her more defensive gear.

Time Mage with Black Magic secondary: Blows things up good. Also has Counter Magic for revenge kills and buff shenanigans. He learned Death as a Black Mage and even without Short Charge it's proven very useful sometimes...so now I've unlocked Short Charge and we'll see how awesome that is. He's picked up several Summon Magic abilities from Crystals, but I haven't touched the class all game...maybe next run?

Mediator/Archer/Thief/I don't know what to do with you: He steals! He shoots! He has a Papyrus Plate from poaching that does great! I'm keeping him in Mediator for now until he learns all the Talk Skill commands, and then...I'm not sure. I did just poach a Gastrafitis (!), Yoichi Bow (!!) and Ultimus Bow (!!!) off of some birds had when he accidentally tamed one, and Steal has been pretty useful so far.

Samurai with Magic Attack UP, HP Restore and Move+1. Not sure where to take this gal. Draw Out is becoming a lot stronger now that I have MAU and the Faith Katana, but I don't know what else to add. For the moment her secondary is White Magic, or rather Cure, Cure 2 and Raise because that's all she knows.

Mustadio: A recent addition to the active roster after I wanted to stop using the same six people all the time. He's just now learned everything but Auto-Potion from Chemist, so now he's back to Engineer to learn Leg Aim and because I can get him up to 10 speed with proper equipment which is just delightful. I was going to learn Equip Gun, pop over to Knight for Battle Skill, and make him a gunslinging, armor-breaking Ninja...until it hit me that none of the guns are Two Swords-compatible. I guess that might be a little too powerful, haha.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 13, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »
:ok_hand:

Just a heads up that Draw Out isn't faith based so the Faith Katana wouldn't be adding any damage to it (it helps with your White Magic secondary of course).

Have fun at Riovanes and Ch4 onward!

Vennobennu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: November 16, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
Oh. That explains a lot. I need to think of a better secondary anyway, it's mostly redundant now that Murasame and Kiyomori are around. Maybe Basic Skill?

At the gate of Riovanes, I changed Ramza into a Thief, as he was shy of unlocking Ninja. Winning the battle was the lesser challenge here, because after seeing the Defender and Mace of Zeus I wanted to steal the good stuff. This involved a series of maneuvers like Power Breaking Mr. Defender so he wouldn't be a threat and giving Malak a Hi-Potion when Rafa had gotten him low, but in the end both treasures, a Crystal Helmet, and a Circlet were had!

In preparation for the duel with Wiegraf, I went with the classic that I've often heard about but never used: the Martial Arts Ninja. Ramza added Punch Art and PA Save to the mix and was loaded for bear: Twist Headband, Power Sleeve and Bracer together gave him 13 PA. That would mean an easy fight, except for the new MP Switch on Wiegraf. That allowed a Lightning Stab to come in which procced Undead. I figured I could run away to Chakra then punch again for the win, which is how I learned about the other Chakra on Wiegraf. That's pretty clever, but unfortunately for Wiegraf PA Save had also procced on that Lightning Stab and now Ramza could just KO him in one hit.

When I moved on to Velius, Ramza got his turn as usual, and without any way to heal Undead I figured I should go for the kill and punch. Then...Ramza got a second turn. I guess he started at 100CT? Surprised he went first again though with only 8 Speed. Anyway, that attempt stalled out with the team not being able to deal enough damage to Velius before Ramza was flattened and then crystallized.

For the second attempt I went with a more conservative setup on Ramza: Black Hood, Judo Outfit, and Defense Armlet to block Undead. That way he could just tank the Lightning Stabs and farm a few PA saves to make up the difference. That worked out pretty well until I retreated too far and Scream happened, after which the next Lightning Stab put an end to Ramza.

Finally I figured I didn't need to null Undead if I could heal it with Chakra, so I swapped in a pair of Sprint Shoes. That worked a lot better since Ramza could regularly doubleturn Wiegraf. When the next phase of the battle started, Ramza again got two turns and attacked Velius twice for 800-some damage. Wow! That triggered Meatbone Slash so I knew it was close. After layering Protect/Shell/Regen/Haste on the others, my Dragoon ran up and Jumped on Velius which secured the win.

So, yeah...now I see why barehanded Ninjas are all the rage.

At this point I belatedly checked out the Circlet Ramza had MFI'd back at the gates. The +2 PA and Haste so entranced me that I decided to put it on my Dragoon for the rooftop battle. "What a great idea this is," I thought, "I'll cure the sleep and berserk ASAP with a Remedy and then he can demolish those Assassins." I quickly discovered that Remedies do not in fact cure Berserk, so while the Dragoon slowly marched towards the enemy two of my units were dropped by double Ultimas, a third was petrified, and Rafa was being sliced up by Elmdor. Before long it was just the Dragoon and Rafa, stopped and on critical HP, left among the good guys. A reset seemed imminent, but as I watched the Dragoon finally walked up to Lede and sent her to critical range in one blow past 60% evade. Victory!!

Vennobennu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: November 28, 2018, 02:18:42 PM »
Going through the first half of C4 now...

Doguola Pass gave me some trouble! The twinked out Samurai is a problem if you let him live and the Lancers are killers as usual. With the benefit of experience, I went in stacking Speed and MA on my own Samurai, letting her get in position to OHKO two units with Draw Out off the bat. That put the tempo of the battle firmly in my favour.

Finath River: First attempt ended in quick defeat to a barrage of Choco Meteors. The next time I started everyone back a square or two, and the three Red Chocobos bunched up while pummeling Ramza...leaving them perfectly placed for a Fire 4, after which cleanup was equally swift.

Zalmo 2 was an interesting fight. After the enemy Oracles started charging a bunch of nasty spells I sent my Archer up to the rooftops for some sniping action, and...cast Reflect on my Time Mage! He had a Silence and Charm Song pending on himself, so Reflect turned out to be the best way to negate that, and it even occupied an Oracle Dispelling it. Go Reflect! While Ramza, a Thief and a jumping Knight circled around to clash with the Samurai girls, my Archer was hit with a Confusion Song and stayed that way for most of the rest of the battle. He was still a help in this condition, though! In between throwing around Eye Drops and trying to shoot my Thief, he fed an Ether to my Time Mage after he got Bizen Boated and Charge-KO'd an Oracle before he could finish a Petrify spell.

This battle wasn't terribly difficult and I managed to pull out a win on the first try. If you can get past the first couple turns of status spam, and prevent too many Raises from happening, you should have smooth sailing to victory. Zalmo himself was no threat beyond Cure 2 support and went down easily after his support bit the dust. The Samurai that starts high up could stand to have some Jump- or Move-boosting gear...by the time she arrives to fight, it's easy to focus her down. The most dangerous thing she did was Bizen Boat my TM who was still hanging around the start.

Bed Desert was a nailbiter, mostly because half my team could get oneshot by Balk and his Mediator pals. On the other hand I had two units with Initial: Reraise and three who could revive in some way, so thanks to Draw Out, Short Charge Flare/Fire 4 and Ramza's fists of fury I was able to pick apart Balk's support and end him with my last unit standing. As a sidenote, Mustadio managed to move-find a Vanish Mantle and a Dragon's Whisker - completely on accident!

The Dragon Whisker I'll be making use of right away, but I'm less sure on the Vanish Mantle. I know that just charging an ability cancels Vanish, and Draw Out always hits, so there isn't too much my team's doing that'd go well with it.

Bethla South Wall: Between the Kikuichimonji guy sniping from afar, the Ninja throwing all sorts of sharp objects, and the gunner Mediators surviving the first few turns was a challenge. Going back in with an Angel Ring on my Chemist and Dragon Spirit on my Priest made that a lot more survivable, after which my Dragoon and Draw Out user could go to town. Short Charge Flare and Fire 3 were clutch for stopping some concerning charged abilities from going off.

Bethla Sluice: This was a cakewalk. Muramasa Draw Out oneshot both Wizards on successive turns as they tried to charge up big spells (didn't help that one wasted his first turn Hasting a stationary Knight), and the enemies on the right side didn't have the offense needed to get past Ramza and my Dragoon.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: November 28, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
For the second attempt I went with a more conservative setup on Ramza: Black Hood, Judo Outfit, and Defense Armlet to block Undead. That way he could just tank the Lightning Stabs and farm a few PA saves to make up the difference. That worked out pretty well until I retreated too far and Scream happened, after which the next Lightning Stab put an end to Ramza.

Finally I figured I didn't need to null Undead if I could heal it with Chakra, so I swapped in a pair of Sprint Shoes. That worked a lot better since Ramza could regularly doubleturn Wiegraf. When the next phase of the battle started, Ramza again got two turns and attacked Velius twice for 800-some damage. Wow! That triggered Meatbone Slash so I knew it was close. After layering Protect/Shell/Regen/Haste on the others, my Dragoon ran up and Jumped on Velius which secured the win.

So, yeah...now I see why barehanded Ninjas are all the rage.

It's worth noting how nerfed barehanded Ninjas are in LFT compared to vanilla:
- PA mult got nerfed down from 122 to 102, one of the biggest mult drops in the overall job rebalancing
- Power Sleeve is available earlier, which means it's a bigger HP hit to keep using it
- Bracer is now only +2 PA instead of +3

And yeah, they still do fine, which is some testimony to how ridiculous they were before.

Going through the first half of C4 now...

Doguola Pass gave me some trouble! The twinked out Samurai is a problem if you let him live and the Lancers are killers as usual. With the benefit of experience, I went in stacking Speed and MA on my own Samurai, letting her get in position to OHKO two units with Draw Out off the bat. That put the tempo of the battle firmly in my favour.

C4 is where enemy count notably goes up and enemies start having some fairly legit setups as opposed to being mostly random. Doguola Pass is definitely a joke fight in vanilla that no one remembers so it serves as a sort of warning that this may not be the case this time around.

Bethla Sluice: This was a cakewalk. Muramasa Draw Out oneshot both Wizards on successive turns as they tried to charge up big spells (didn't help that one wasted his first turn Hasting a stationary Knight), and the enemies on the right side didn't have the offense needed to get past Ramza and my Dragoon.

Bethla Sluice's mostly intentionally left unchanged/easy as a breather, because the fight tends to run very long due to most setups needing to wait for the Knights on the switch panels to crystallize. The Bethla Wall fights are the real challenges as you saw.

Thanks for the continued war logs, I'm definitely reading them even if I don't have immediate replies! Have you felt relatively happy with whatever builds you've ended up experimenting/using so far? Do you feel like there's any disparity in what jobs or skillsets are useful?