Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410656 times)

Taishyr

Re: LFT: An FFT mod (Final Release - Download here!)
« Reply #1500 on: January 14, 2011, 12:08:24 AM »
Araguay Woods or on rare occasion Zigolis? Try changing what direction you come into Araguay from, that's definitely the location I remember them most commonly from.

dis astranagant

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 15, 2011, 04:45:37 AM »
Finally got a Trent in Araguay.  Woodmen are downright common on the way to Riovanes.

Velius is being a royal pain.  Get a couple good hits in and he starts instakilling my team with Shock.  Right now my team consists of an Ahriman that dies before getting a turn, a Red Chocobo that hits for 160, a Minitaurus that mostly stands around gathering power and providing monster skill for my Trent, who spams tornado in hopes of confusing the peanut gallery.  Ramza 3 shots Wiegraf with carve model, but hangs on with ~30 hp.  All are leveled in the upper 20s.

e: Thanks to Lancer the job was a success.  lol Dragon Whisker in chapter 3.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:34:55 AM by dis astranagant »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: January 15, 2011, 06:43:27 AM »
Dragon Whisker was always available in C3.

Past the initial roughness with C1 early encounters, any other commentary on the difficulty in general?
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

dis astranagant

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 15, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »
Well, I shifted into the red chocobo murder squad over the course of chapter 2, which took a lot of the difficulty out for a good while.  Then I remembered how the challenge was supposed to go on the way to Riovanes.  In general, enemies with charge cause massive overkill, since really high charge skills show up and get used early (Algus was killing Ramza twice over with charge + 10).  Also, I kept running into black mages with bolt 4 in the first save Mustadio fight.  They would tag him turn 1, and the fight would be unwinnable.

For a good while, most of my offense came from shock spamming grenades and explosives suiciding in the middle of the enemy group. 

Ramza's a Capricorn, so UBS Wiegraf tended to kill him with counter (I think I was monking at the time) then stop my chocobo pile with stasis sword, but eventually I got that to work better without having to go grind. 

Yardow made me grind.  I went in with most of my team sub 20 and the ninjas tore me to pieces.  Pretty much everyone on my squad (red chocobo, trent, minitaurus, flotiball) was weak to one ball or another and would die instantly.  I came back with everyone around 25-28 and flotiball replaced with an ahriman and things went better.  Trent confused half the enemy squad on turn 1 and the ahriman got a lucky petrify in that gave the chocobo a ninja proof sniping point.

I grabbed the revnant from the next battle to fool around, but it didn't live through the gate to Riovanes.  Malak made it his personal mission to hunt it down and it was in no way ready to live through a mace of zeus beat down.  As usual, trent and red chocobo did most of the work, though ramza had some fun with carve model.

Velius made me cheat a hair and bring in an extra red chocobo.  I tried keeping a flotiball alive to difference him, but it was Velius' one goal in life to hit it with shock before it could even move.  After a job change, the fight pretty much went Ramza jumping for ~340, red chocobos meteoring for 160 and 105 (maybe 115, don't remember for sure), minitaurus wasting a turn gathering power, trent confusing half the archaic demons, another jump, and then an elaborate dance trying to get 1 more hit in.

Oh, and Queklain was basically a luck fight.  Half the time he'd cast his sleep or petrify move on the first turn, shutting down most of my team.

I haven't gotten around to any great amount of brave/faith manipulation, though my trent has some 75 faith and most everyone else has 30 something.  Ramza talks to himself when he's idle, so he's at 90/25.

Goblins and cats were basically worthless on my team due to the status effects not being accurate enough for me to rely on, combined with their lack of offensive options. 

I used a red dragon for a good bit, but it was basically red chocobo sans range.  I might go breed up another one, at least it could get places and hurt something. 

Juravis and company feel like watered down red chocobos, feather bomb could really use a multiplier bump. 

Bomb go boom, revive and go boom again was basically the sum of my chapter 1 offense.  If I had to kill more than 1 guy, self destruct did the job. 

I haven't given skeletons a good look, but the mulitplier bump looks nice. 

In theory, ghouls are nice with revive and the ranged attack, but I haven't found one with decent brave, though sleep touch did save my ass a couple times. 

Morbols exist, I guess.  Haven't seen one outside my recent run in with RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD.  Not sure I have muc use for a statuser.

Flotiballs are nice with difference, but I'm too aggressive to care about death sentence and look of devil only matters when silence or petrify come up.

I have a minitaurus.  He almost never gets to do anything but gather power because he's slow and monster skill earth slash is awkward.  Then again, all the bull demon line have awkward monster skills.

Trent is my new lord and savior.  I park him next to idler the minitaurus and he blows shit up.  If it doesn't blow up, it's probably confused.  Haven't gotten a Taiju yet, but I have a feeling that not being able to aim quake a mile away is gonna make me not like them.

In general, I dislike melee or lance range monster skills.  Even when they're incredible bullshit like stop bracelet, you're stuck trying to set up the fight for a generally slow and borderline worthless guy to wander up and do something.  The dedicated melee monsters just don't seem capable enough to actually make it to melee most of the time.  Not compared to some of the crazy artillery around in the form of 5+ range undodgeable attacks on some monsters.  That and the ai likes to pull them out when they shouldn't, so them wandering up and throwing a stop bracelet/blaster/circle or the like with no allies around just seems a bit broken.

E: Got my first behemoth.  Gigaflare was pretty underwhelming.  Needs a little more vertical tolerance, which I had kinda thought during Velius.  I guess I'll just breed up a Dark Behemoth and pretend he's a Bomb.

Zalmo 2 really, really didn't like my plague.  Difference killed all his mp, then 2 choco meteors finished the job.

Zalera is basically running face first into a brick wall.  First turn every time, half my team gets hit by stop before they can even move from the tiny deployment area.  Not real sure how I'm gonna pull this off.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:01:27 AM by dis astranagant »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 17, 2011, 12:20:07 PM »
Not sure what Zalera's current moves are, but in original FFT you could set up your formation so that only two got hit with status.  Formation was...
___X
RX__
__X_
___X

Where R is Ramza.

Also: Ramza can block problematic statuses, and set Basic Skill to heal Stop.

dis astranagant

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: January 17, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
Well, technically setting basic skill in anything but mediator is cheating the challenge a bit, but I've been playing it wrong have the game anyway.  I wound up going in as a knight with excalibur, rune blade, crystal helm, reflect mail and drac mantle (those bastards with the flails have a bad habit of rolling really high on the first turn).  Discovered that I learned charge +5 at some point (and thus cheated a bit that way), so 2 shots of that, a shot of difference (700ish damage) and a 200 damage choco meteor did the trick.  The game really, really hates my plague and pretty much bum rushes him any time he's deployed, but I managed to keep him alive.  I also brought a cocatoris to abuse beaking, but it got stopped and was killed before it ever moved.  Now to go deal with Dycedarg's elder brother.

I kinda want to go back and steal a couple things off not-Sephiroth, but there was just too much bullshit going on to pull that off.

Umm, Don't really know how I'm gonna keep monsters alive vs Adramelk.  I triggered critical quick once, which he used to night sword my behemoth.  Charm and petrify aren't much fun, either.  Just how fast is he, anyway?  I've seen him double turn vs 12 speed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:50:54 PM by dis astranagant »

dis astranagant

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 17, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
Figured it out. Stuck Ramza in squire with Excalibur, Save the Queen, Barette (Ramza gets girl gear in lft), Reflect Mail and Sprint Shoes. Ramza spends the first half of the fight running around screaming while the monsters do their thing. Once Adramelk shows up, he casts Undeath and can no longer harm Ramza (his normal attack drains and he has no direct damage). Raise 3 is reflectable, so he can't hit Ramza or my Plague with it. He revives and drains my dark behemoth, but takes ~500 damage from Plague's difference (damage = target's current mp) and another 400ish from my Revnant's drain touch. Then Ramza whacks him with his swords, having like 15 PA by now. Addy critical quicks and charms the plague, but plague is dumb and tries look of devil through the floor. Ramza gets stabby again and the fight ends.

Poked my head into NOGIAS... Why won't these goblins die D:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:35:41 AM by dis astranagant »

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 18, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
Figured it out. Stuck Ramza in squire with Excalibur, Save the Queen, Barette (Ramza gets girl gear in lft), Reflect Mail and Sprint Shoes. Ramza spends the first half of the fight running around screaming while the monsters do their thing. Once Adramelk shows up, he casts Undeath and can no longer harm Ramza (his normal attack drains and he has no direct damage). Raise 3 is reflectable, so he can't hit Ramza or my Plague with it. He revives and drains my dark behemoth, but takes ~500 damage from Plague's difference (damage = target's current mp) and another 400ish from my Revnant's drain touch. Then Ramza whacks him with his swords, having like 15 PA by now. Addy critical quicks and charms the plague, but plague is dumb and tries look of devil through the floor. Ramza gets stabby again and the fight ends.

Poked my head into NOGIAS... Why won't these goblins die D:

Not a bad strategy with the Adramelk fight, you didn't even bother to go out of your way to break it (something I admittedly did). With NOGIAS, your best bet with taking down the Goblins involves 2 characters with High frontal evasion, Talk Skill, a way to cast undead, and lots of Phoenix Downs. The Goblins have quite honestly, I think one of the largest HP amounts in all of DD so it's an Endurance fight. Using AoE attacks against them is surprisingly ineffective due to that HP amount so just focus fire one of them.

Smart choice by the way with not trying to steal from Elmedor. It complicates that fight to a very, very absurd level.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: January 18, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
Actually, you can do some shockingly simple measures to simplify the Elmdor fight for stealing. Use some GT offensive measure to drop Celia and Lede to critical, they turn terminally retarded and run the hell away (with their mdur buff, though, it won't be as simple as a lolclops, but). With Blood Suck blocking and Death Sentence healing (or revival) you can keep Elmdor under control to steal to your heart's content. It takes plenty of setup, but you shouldn't expect to grab the equips without setting up specifically for it anyway.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »
With NOGIAS, your best bet with taking down the Goblins involves 2 characters with High frontal evasion, Talk Skill, a way to cast undead, and lots of Phoenix Downs. The Goblins have quite honestly, I think one of the largest HP amounts in all of DD so it's an Endurance fight. Using AoE attacks against them is surprisingly ineffective due to that HP amount so just focus fire one of them.

Can't you just hit them with death/petrify?  Poison's probably not bad either.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 18, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
With NOGIAS, your best bet with taking down the Goblins involves 2 characters with High frontal evasion, Talk Skill, a way to cast undead, and lots of Phoenix Downs. The Goblins have quite honestly, I think one of the largest HP amounts in all of DD so it's an Endurance fight. Using AoE attacks against them is surprisingly ineffective due to that HP amount so just focus fire one of them.

Can't you just hit them with death/petrify?  Poison's probably not bad either.

I don't remember them being susceptible to Death/Petrify (though my memory is fuzzy), Poison however is definitely a good move.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: January 18, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
I thought they had the immortal flag, which means no death/petrify, yeah.

Regardless, it's someone with high HP in FFT. Gravity cuts 'em all down to size in no time, and since they're melee and you're up on a cliff, there's little reason for them to actually reach you if you're lobbing Time/YY/Summon/Math at them (especially the last).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Taishyr

« Reply #1512 on: January 18, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
[16:40] * Taishyr pokes Alex. Any clue how long it takes Berserk to wear off?
[16:41] <Ranmilia> Never
[16:41] <Ranmilia> Permanent until removed
[16:42] > ...what
[16:42] > oh god
[16:42] > battle over, then
[16:42] > -_-;
[16:42] > ...
[16:42] > wait no
[16:42] > pigfear kill+revive
[16:42] > ... >_>
[16:42] <Ranmilia> That works, it is removed on death
[16:42] > ...
[16:43] > except when Ramza BURIES HIMSELF IN A WATERY CORNER
[16:43] > ffffffffffff
[16:43] > (do not get me wrong, I am laughing so hard)
[16:43] <Ranmilia> ~
[16:43] > (this is just such a stupid way to lose a map it's funny)
[16:43] <Ranmilia> Wiping to berserk is rare and awesome, yes
[16:44] > It's more wiping to berserk -because Ramza's AI doesn't think to go for Gaff-
[16:44] > so I'm stuck in stalemate
[16:44] > which is so stupidly funny
[16:44] > ...
[16:44] * Taishyr revives the two dead archers.
[16:44] > Let's see if I can coerce them into killing Ramza.
[16:45] <Ranmilia> Berserk will always go for the nearest enemy
[16:45] > The game doesn't remember Ramza has Ignore Height
[16:45] > So he's not moving for the wall

So. Pigfears were mauling Gate of Lionel, when one of the remaining Archers nailed Ramza with Berserk. No prob, right? That wears off...

...not! And Ramza apparently doesn't remember he has Ignore Height as an archer so he doesn't go suicide on Gaff!

So my solution: Resurrect the two archers, lure Ramza out of the damn corner, Pooh+Straight Tackle him to death, then Oink revive.

This is taking forever and I am laughing soooooo damn hard. PIGFEAR FOREVER

EDIT: except apparently even Ignore Height doesn't allow you to get up the one section of the parapet that's unwalled.
... I'm not sure what to say about this except that I'm kinda annoyed this was even possible.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:03:50 PM by Taitoro »

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: January 21, 2011, 04:55:14 AM »
Well I'm finally done. Finally got around to finishing Chapter 4. The final set of fights was actually sort of interesting! Kletian was still kinda the weak link with the party I had. Altima got severely buffed. Same with Rofel. Fun game~ but I have other things to play before rechecking to see what else Laggy has changed.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Legomancer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: January 21, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »
Made an account just to comment on the game, I haven't played tactics in years so this was a fun new run through it, the rebalancing is amazing, I'm actually able to have fun using an Oracle for something more than just Auto Attacking now, and Mediators just keep turning the tides of battle for me.

Have you moved where Uribo's can spawn? I can't seem to find one appearing in Zigolas at all for the life of me.

Taishyr

« Reply #1515 on: January 21, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »
Made an account just to comment on the game, I haven't played tactics in years so this was a fun new run through it, the rebalancing is amazing, I'm actually able to have fun using an Oracle for something more than just Auto Attacking now, and Mediators just keep turning the tides of battle for me.

Have you moved where Uribo's can spawn? I can't seem to find one appearing in Zigolas at all for the life of me.

Hiya!

I found my Uribo in the first Zigolis fight. Try approaching from Lionel is my only real suggestion as a result; he showed up 33% of the time I tried that fight.

EDIT: On Ch4 in my Ramza+4 Monsters playthrough. Ramza is sporting only the best Mag+3 perfume and a cute Ribbon... and then in case you though he was a she, he hits you really damn hard with his Whale Whisker.

Aaaanyways Uribo and Trees are easily castbest monsters, Dragons only a half-step behind and Morbols a quarter-step behind them (though each Morbol type has a different use; really only Morbols and Great Morbols are recommended by me but).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:28:35 PM by Taitoro »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 21, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
and then in case you though he was a she, he hits you really damn hard with his Whale Whisker.

That only makes him sound more like a she, then. <_<

(Sticks are MA-based.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Taishyr

« Reply #1517 on: January 21, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
and then in case you though he was a she, he hits you really damn hard with his Whale Whisker.

That only makes him sound more like a she, then. <_<

(Sticks are MA-based.)

It was a dick joke.

(Is this cutting-edge social commentary by FFT, where the most masculine-typed weapon is best used by wo- oh wait, I see where they were going)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 21, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
Dorothy Beoulve the queen of smash.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
You can only get a Uribo at the story battle in Zigolis, unfortunately.  They never appear in random battles there.  The story battle has a unique formation, with one slot randomly being either a Morbol, Uribo or Flotiball.  If you miss it there, there aren't any more pigs until another potential at the Finath River story battle in chapter 4, and if you miss that I believe they only show up randomly at Dolbodar Swamp.

Taishyr

« Reply #1520 on: January 30, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »
My Ramza 4 Monsters playthrough is beaten!

Kletain was easily the biggest threat of the final stretch, followed by Balk, followed by uh uh none of them except Altima 1 maybe.

Rofel was kinda annoying but fell to the TTT (Tiamat Triple Thunder). Kletain killed everyone but Ramza who barely managed to off him. Balk caused multiple resets until I realized that support Ramza would win the fight fine by keeping TTT an option. The Hashmalum fight went something like:

Hash: CHARGE MELT TO OVERKILL PLAGUEBALL.
Ramza: Cheer Up Plagueball.
Plagueball: 800+ DAMAGE, ASSHOLE.
Hash: *damage split, kills Plagueball, wastes Melt*
Rest of the monsters: Group beatdown Hash.
Hash: wtf. RETREAT NEXT TO THE MAST AND CHARGE TORNADO!
Tiamat: ... You just went to a square where I could move next to you and hit with all three TTs. *does so, kills Hash*

Altima 1 used damage options semi-effectively, plus support, to near kill, but my monsters finished him off. Altima 2 had no concept of the word "damage" and used Grand Cross forever and ever, letting me very slowly kill him.

Next playthrough: Themed (RP characters).
Demedais: Ramza. Knight/White Magic, Weapon Guard, Two Hands, undecided. (Paladin/evade whore in RP)
Mykasi: Mediator/Math Skill, Abandon, undecided, undecided. (Illusionist/"negotiator"/verbal abuser, this was the closest I could figure to that. Evasive, so Abandon.)
Victor: Combination of Geo/Monk/Squire(?), Counter Flood probably, Attack UP/Martial Arts, undecided. (Druid/Monk gestalt)
Yin Huyao: Archer/Steal (never to use Steal Heart), Speed Save, undecided, Move+3 or something akin to it. (Archer/flanker, ugly as shit)
Undecided fifth: Dance/Time Mage or something, Iunno. This is either gonna be a notable NPC from a game I'm in or a game Gate's played in/DM'd, but we haven't decided anything other than this should be a female.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:29:08 AM by Taitoro »

Legomancer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 30, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »
It ate my original post because the picture I tried uploading was too big @_@.

My experience thus far with learning about the mechanics of the game have elevated me to unforeseen levels that I've never been to before, I'm actually able  to be playing defensive now when in the past it was all about rushing down everything within range as fast as I can, I mean, I still slaughter anything within engagement range, but it's not because I'm pouring all my efforts into solely pumping straight damage.

I wanted to point out that there are possibly a few abilities that ignore concentration despite what the tooltip says "Never fail on your attack."? lolbladegrasp, unsure about what else screws with it.

Lastly the dancer class is one of my new favorites, I know slapping calculate onto a black mage or something will give you better results in the "KILL EVERYTHING" category, but I'm purposely avoiding Chantage/Bladegrasp/Calculate, even without my pride and joy of a dancer is "unkillable" while providing a constant wave of supplementary damage that turns my two shot attacks into one shots, kills low health runners/those that have been res'd, and invalidates the few annoying times you'll run into an enemy with MP switch.

I mean, just look at my baby, she's probably killed more units than any other character I have.

Taishyr

« Reply #1522 on: January 30, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »
RYOZAN SILK FUCK YEAH

Heh, yeah, I wanna play around with a dancer some myself, haven't done so yet in LFT.

Legomancer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 30, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »
RYOZAN SILK FUCK YEAH

Heh, yeah, I wanna play around with a dancer some myself, haven't done so yet in LFT.

Like I said I love them now, with a dancer my mediator with charge/attack up is ASSUREDLY going to tame something so long as it isn't a Behemoth/Minotaur.

It's fun starting a fight, passing out buffs/getting in one Wiznaibus, then shooting the nearest to 100 AT monster to watch his ex friends scramble to curb stomp their old buddy after he scurries off to die in some corner.

Legomancer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 30, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
I gotta ask, I'm done all the way up to the quest after Igros, so I decided to screw around in Nevlaska or however its spelled, that in conjunction with skill building and poaching has pushed me up to 55-60 being my party level range.

Should I delevel before I go off to finish the storyline/do DD? The games been completely manhandled by my characters builds as is, and I don't want any more of a handicap in my favor, so I'll want to be equal/lesser leveled than the bosses/DD fights/Rare encounters if they aren't set up to be the same level as me.

Also does anyone know if theres a list or something I can go to that'll give me an idea of where I can find the rare encounters at? So far all I've found was the Vice President in Zelkaus, the Monk swarm, and the Archer swarm.