Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410515 times)

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (Final Release - Download here!)
« Reply #1425 on: October 14, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
Samurai can walk into the Dycedarg fight with 5x Muramasas and lol (Start: Transparent). That part is absolutely effortless for them.

Chameleon Robes don't Cancel: Dead anymore - they Cancel: Petrify (and Strengthen: Holy).

Adramelk's Fear moves are Treachery (Charm) and Hold Tight (Petrify OR Don't Move).

EDIT: Wow, Secret Fist spoils Addy. That is awesome in ways I cannot fully articulate.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 14, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
From my log of Samurai SCC vs Dyce (changes might have been made since):

- Igros -
4 Resets
Waltzing up and attacking Dyce is suicide. Invisibility doesn't work out here because Dyce will camp out near Zalbag's corpse on that tiny bridge.
So the obvious setup here is Heaven's Cloud/Crystal/Reflect Mail/N-Kai. Only problem is I can't get him to stop using Night Sword; he never hits me with the full-screen status effect move he's supposed to.

OK, this is how I won:
Everyone has Muramasa/Crystal/Reflect/N-Kai. Have Ramza (bad compat with Dyce) use Kiyomori and wait. This breaks him out of Invisibility, which means Dyce will come running in. Everyone else forms an invisible wall. When Dyce comes in, beat him to the verge of death and retreat. Dyce will back off. Finish him off with Kikuichimonji and make sure everyone is out of Adramelk's potential Night Sword range.

Adramelk will spawn and cast Darkness. At this point, all you can do is Attack and use Draw Outs. He'll try and Raise over your Reflect Mails and inflict Don't Move, but none of this is a big deal. You just have to do enough damage to make him scream.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 14, 2010, 11:06:24 PM »
Oh right, Reflect Mail once again (keeps it from being a mandatory blitz).  That helps Lancer too.  (I take it from jsh's Samurai writeup that N-Kai blocks both Petrify and Charm?  In which case yes, Lancers are fine).

Geos...hmm...I honestly don't know what elemental status they might have access to in this fight.  Presumably "Stone Floor" (petrify--useless).  They'd really like to hit Don't Move (Natural Surface/Road/Wasteland) but that doesn't sound likely for an indoor fight.  Umm...does Ancient Sword still add Don't Move?  (For all that I'm not sure Don't Move is so helpful if they need to be in range 1 and only trigger it 20% of the time hence need to stay in range 1).

Though sure, Cham Robe + Reflect Ring and then cure charm via elemental hits sounds pretty solid (especially if Elemental is all Stone Floor, and they're already blocking petrify).  They also have Ice Healing options.  Yeah, actually, Geos are sounding fine.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 14, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
EDIT: Wow, Secret Fist spoils Addy. That is awesome in ways I cannot fully articulate.

This is beautiful in amazing ways that the fact that it isn't deliberate just makes it even better.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 15, 2010, 12:13:05 AM »
In a game where there's so much going on design-wise like FFT, the best awesome design choices are the ones that come up by accident.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: October 15, 2010, 12:20:45 AM »
Good design begets good design, this is not shocking that it happened, but it is still a nice suprise.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: October 15, 2010, 07:16:40 AM »
You are left with simply hoping Cyril never casts it. Or at least doesn't cast it till the Behemoths crystal/boxilize

EDIT: Gameplay spoilers for LFT superfights.

MP Switch blocks it. (This totally deserves to be on the awesome reaction list. <_<)

Also, it does reverse faith damage, so high enough faith walls it, as does Doubt Faith (yes, I know it's weird Doubt Faith makes you block reverse-faith moves, FFT is weird). Doubt Faith is even math skillable. Granted, if you have a 3 Faith unit or something they're kinda screwed (outside MP Switch) but I really have no problem with random things punishing 3 faith as a strategy given that it's kind of a degenerate counter to many story battles.

END SPOILERS

Also, I thought colliery 2 was the easiest colliery battle by far, whether I was stealing or not. Interesting how different parties deal with different fights.

Man I love Adramelk being vulnerble to Don't Move. Not so much for Archer/Monk SCC (though that's still funny) but it's a -great- niche use for a spell that needs it. Good show.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: October 15, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
EDIT: Gameplay spoilers for LFT superfights.

MP Switch blocks it. (This totally deserves to be on the awesome reaction list. <_<)

Also, it does reverse faith damage, so high enough faith walls it, as does Doubt Faith (yes, I know it's weird Doubt Faith makes you block reverse-faith moves, FFT is weird). Doubt Faith is even math skillable. Granted, if you have a 3 Faith unit or something they're kinda screwed (outside MP Switch) but I really have no problem with random things punishing 3 faith as a strategy given that it's kind of a degenerate counter to many story battles.

END SPOILERS

Also, I thought colliery 2 was the easiest colliery battle by far, whether I was stealing or not. Interesting how different parties deal with different fights.

Man I love Adramelk being vulnerble to Don't Move. Not so much for Archer/Monk SCC (though that's still funny) but it's a -great- niche use for a spell that needs it. Good show.
SPOILERS
Oh yeah, I forgot to put that on the awesome reactions list actually used it quite a bit. Huh...I suppose that does make that a bit easier. But it would still only block one hit (Unless suing Move-MP Up+MP Switch which is honestly so ridiculously broken it should be made impossible). Unless you spam Hi-Ethers on everyone afterwards, but it would slog down the offensive part of the fight which you kind of need (Again assuming he does this somewhere at the start), the Behemoths can rip you a new one pretty fast.
END SPOILERS

Harder then the small Ko army in the 1st fight? I find that to be easier then some of the storyline fights (Stealing from Elmdor is hard, same with Zalbag). But yeah I can see how certain set-ups would have it easy in that fight (Lots of ranged attackers), in which case they'd probably have quite a bit of difficulty in the last fight, that one seemed almost catered to my decent-movement close-ranged OHKOers. I can't see the 3rd fight being too hard for anyone :P

Adramelk vulnerable to Don't Move....wow, I wish I knew that during his fight in End.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: October 15, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
(Unless suing Move-MP Up+MP Switch which is honestly so ridiculously broken it should be made impossible).

Nah.  Move-MP Up seriously limits your mobility.  MP-Switch seriously limits the skills you can use with it (some of the best stuff in the game, too, like noncharge meteor).  And if you know exactly what kind of damage you're facing, other reactions are sometimes better anyway (Blade Grasp is better against mostly physical; Auto-Potion is better for...nearly every story battle; Damage Split is better if expecting to be attacked by multiple weaker enemies in one turn; Hammedo is ridiculous against the right units).

It's a neat combo, but not necessarily better than other options.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: October 15, 2010, 05:00:26 PM »
Patch update has been uploaded (relevant for NEB and Ciatokins by the time they hit the big A).

Tonfa, when he gets around to it, will post to note completion of Complete conversion.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: October 15, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »
If I ever beat Kletian. :(
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Taishyr

« Reply #1436 on: October 15, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
Starting Ramza+4 Monsters challenge run. Recruited a Chocobo, Goblin and Red Panther in Mandalia random, gonna try to pick up the Black Goblin and a Bomb from Sweegy story.

No real plans for Ramza other than fooling around. If this surprises you you don't know me too well. >_> Likely gonna emphasize Thief.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 15, 2010, 06:02:21 PM »
(Unless suing Move-MP Up+MP Switch which is honestly so ridiculously broken it should be made impossible).

Nah.  Move-MP Up seriously limits your mobility.  MP-Switch seriously limits the skills you can use with it (some of the best stuff in the game, too, like noncharge meteor).  And if you know exactly what kind of damage you're facing, other reactions are sometimes better anyway (Blade Grasp is better against mostly physical; Auto-Potion is better for...nearly every story battle; Damage Split is better if expecting to be attacked by multiple weaker enemies in one turn; Hammedo is ridiculous against the right units).

It's a neat combo, but not necessarily better than other options.
Completely nullifying all forms of damage? That's pretty damn broken. Auto-Potion is pretty awesome (hell it's my most used reaction ability), but it suffers badly when facing large damage (150 just doesn't cut it against 300+ dpt), granted with low faith that is pretty rare. Blade Grasp, yes, awesome to an immense degree but considering the amount of magical/unavoidable damage you start to take later on, it grows out of style. Damage Split is quite cool, but being on such a pita job to unlock and grind JP in puts it's worth down quite a bit, and I would disagree on your use for it, mass amounts of weak attacks are better negated by Auto-Potion. Damage Split's best worth is probably against units that do 50% damage to you (Adramelk's Raise3 for example) though anything close to it is pretty good as well. Haven't used Hammedo since my vanilla Monk SSCC (during which it was hot to a degree hot cannot explain), but for it's main use (nullifying physical damage and as an added bonus countering it) I'd still prefer Blade Grasp for the higher chance of nullifying damage (0% at 100 Brave). The only situation where MP Switch doesn't work, is if you are facing multiple weak attacks (that would break through your MP) in one turn. It does limit your magical options and mobility, but pairing it with high-speed characters somewhat lessens the severity of the mobility loss, and I can take losing 2 move (well, 1 move since I'd probably replace an often used Dracula Mantle for Germinas Boots or something) for almost complete invulnerability to damage. NonCharge Meteor is still possible using MP Switch+Move MP Up. Not quite as often, though. You cast Meteor->Move. As long as your other skill set can be used without MP, you'll still have obliterating power whenever you don't take damage for a few turns (not that rare). In fact on something like a Samurai it'd be a pretty sick combination (suffering from low speed only I think, and low movement).

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 15, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »
Completely nullifying all forms of damage? That's pretty damn broken.

Completely nullifying one hit per turn, not all damage.

I mean yes, there are battle designs that make MP Switch Move MP Up very, very good.  But there's also battle designs that don't.  For instance, poison pretty much nullifies MP Switch (the poison damage triggers after you complete your turn, and lowers your MP back to 0).  a battle with lots of ranged, mid-damage enemies is a bad place to use MP Switch.  (Examples of such damage being Choco Meteor, Math Skill, Wiznaibus, non-Charge summons, that kind of stuff).

So...really it's down to level design.  Obviously if you make a boss with "this boss deals mass 999 damage once per turn", then that's bad level design.  Same way it would be a mistake to make a bunch of 50 speed high damage enemies that all get stopped by Blade Grasp.  Same way it would be a mistake to make a really scary battle where everything can be evaded (and thus shut down by Abandon).

(Granted, I'm just assuming that the Deep Dungeon is well-designed to not crumple to any one reaction ability.  I actually haven't ever played the LFT DD--it might need to poison you more often >_>).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 15, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
LFT poison still kinda sucks due to being mHP/8. Even if the DD used it more, MP Switch still spoils it just fine as long as your MP isn't far lower than your HP, and there's all sorts of classes and equips to ensure this.

Maybe.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: October 15, 2010, 08:29:30 PM »
Completely nullifying one hit per turn, not all damage.

I mean yes, there are battle designs that make MP Switch Move MP Up very, very good.  But there's also battle designs that don't.  For instance, poison pretty much nullifies MP Switch (the poison damage triggers after you complete your turn, and lowers your MP back to 0).  a battle with lots of ranged, mid-damage enemies is a bad place to use MP Switch.  (Examples of such damage being Choco Meteor, Math Skill, Wiznaibus, non-Charge summons, that kind of stuff).

So...really it's down to level design.  Obviously if you make a boss with "this boss deals mass 999 damage once per turn", then that's bad level design.  Same way it would be a mistake to make a bunch of 50 speed high damage enemies that all get stopped by Blade Grasp.  Same way it would be a mistake to make a really scary battle where everything can be evaded (and thus shut down by Abandon).

(Granted, I'm just assuming that the Deep Dungeon is well-designed to not crumple to any one reaction ability.  I actually haven't ever played the LFT DD--it might need to poison you more often >_>).
Quite often you only do get hit by one hit per turn (exceptions are of course Wundertwins which suffer from other factors, Bervenia, and Altimas. Excluding Tiny Ko since that's so gimmicky). *cough* Oblivions Edge *cough*. DD doesn't really crumple to any reaction abilities (Auto-Potion is the closest), but it does have it's issues with certain skill sets/support abilities being too good IMO. Though the only really necessary skill set (Math Skill) wouldn't be necessary with such a broken ability as Reanimate. Seriously, it's canceled by one move and is otherwise balls to the walls unbeatable.

Late game Choco Meteor isn't really mid-damage, it can do more then 70% damage to most of my characters. I don't think Abandon can make you reach 100% evade (though I may stand to be corrected). Wiznaibus isn't even worthy to be considered an ability, 20 damage...is just..hilarious really. Problem with say a fight in DD that inflicts mass poison on your team, is Stigma Magic. If it's the first move made (such as Adramelk's Undeath) you can just pre-arrange your units to all be hit by Stigma Magic (I don't think there's a single fight where your team starts on un-equal ground) granted if it's cast over and over and over again, it'd be a legit factor. Returning back to reaction abilities, Blade Grasp is pretty close to Auto-Potion on it's effectiveness but the one fight I really wish I had it (Altimax2, that 2 handed Altima with Gravi2 on it's attacks is terrifying) has so much magic damage going on you can't really afford to use it without sacrificing elsewhere. That is pretty much what I consider good level design, you have to give up something to gain something else. Oh and I suppose the goblin army in Nogias benefits a lot from having Blade Grasp but that's easily shut down by terrain+stop. There's also the factor that Shields in the late game are so good evasion based reaction abilities begin to wane in effectiveness. Venetian, Genji, and Paladin Shields together with lets say Feather Mantle on Ramza (bad class evasion at only 10%) will give him 90% evasion with Paladin, 100% with Venetian, and 100% with Genji. Granted I am not a fan of either the Venetian or Feather mantle (too much focus on Evasion). So let's compare a more useful Dracula Mantle with Genji and Paladin (both absolutely excellent shields). With Paladin 62% evasion, with Genji 72%. Here we see a significant drop in evasion, 62% is quite low. However, factoring in Protect I think it's quite even.

On the other hand, Ramza as most other Females will probably prefer to use Chantages instead of mantles (or any other perfume really). So let's examine it on say Orlandu, high class evasion and high hp awesome. 72% evasion with Paladin+Dracula, 82% with Genji+Dracula, 100% with Feather Mantle and either Shield. Honestly, the Feather Mantle is overkill in any of the examples, you almost never need that much evasion. Same problem with Abandon, you almost never need that much evasion on top of a shield. It has it's use of course with Glass Cannon types (such as my MA Ninja) but for them, they still suffer to magic badly. So it's easier to put some kind of damage/movement increasing ability/item. For reaction abilities, I think only Speed Save, PA Save,or Sunken State really fall under this. While for items there's the many types of Boots, Vanish Mantle, Bracer, Genji Gauntlet. All of which add more to the characters role then an evasion based Mantle (Vanish Mantle while having evasion, is more useful for the Start:Transparent, it allows an otherwise OHKO character move to the enemy he needs to move). The bonus of of using a Dracula Mantle over a Feather Mantle is also, is two-fold. It decreases magic damage (while providing decent evasion on the magic front and lackluster on the physical but also decreases physical damage), which coupled with Auto-Potion makes magical damage almost negligible. Something the Feather Mantle fails at.

This also extends to the reaction abilities problem, it's easier to take a hit and heal through it back to full (low faith+shell+auto-pot), then hope for evasion to kick in. This of course, falls apart at 999 damage abilities. But those have their own issues, in Adramelk's case (speaking about the End Adramelk and not Igros) it's only a 1-person-KO which is easy to revive through, while damaging him enough to prevent him healing 999 HP isn't too hard this late in the game. While Oblivions Edge, is both unavoidable and (I'm not quite sure here) un-mitigatable hence you are forced to either MP Switch or hope he doesn't use it. Kind of shoe-horns mitigation reactions (Auto-Potion, Damage Split) and evasion reactions (Blade Grasp, Hammedo, Abandon).

Also what Dark Holy Elf said about poison...though with my set-up I had horrible MP >.>

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 15, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »
LFT poison still kinda sucks due to being mHP/8. Even if the DD used it more, MP Switch still spoils it just fine as long as your MP isn't far lower than your HP, and there's all sorts of classes and equips to ensure this.

Err...there are?

Remember that base HP is double base MP.  The high MP equipment that jumps to mind still has more HP than MP.  Golden Hairpin is 80 HP, 50 MP.  Light Robe is 75 HP, 50 MP.  If there's a piece of equipment that gives more MP than HP I'm not aware of it.

On classes, even for a female, there's only one class where MP is naturally higher than HP (Summoner).  And even then, just "higher" isn't enough--Poison deals mHP/8, but Move-MP Up only heals mMP/10.  Summoner Ramza, for instance, can't (without lopsided growths or lucky starting stats) have mMP/10 beat mHP/8.  Female summoners will pass that threshold, though, yes.

So...sure, naked female summoners can still MP Switch after poison damage.  Or, y'know, you could just wear an accessory that blocks poison--that would work too. >_>

(Note: I'm not trying to completely shut down MP-Switch, just saying that if it's too good in the DD, poison would make it less attractive).

I don't think Abandon can make you reach 100% evade (though I may stand to be corrected).

Escutcheon II + Abandon gets you to 100% magic evade, and 100% physical evade from the front and sides.  (Unless its stats are different from FFT--again haven't played LFT endgame).

Wiznaibus isn't even worthy to be considered an ability, 20 damage...is just..hilarious really.

Well yes--most parties wouldn't even notice it (same with Poison), but MP Switch Move-MP Up parties?  How many characters do you have with over 200 MP?  Or if you have some, consider it's not hard to get Wiznaibus to 30 damage per hit, so...how many characters do you have with over 300 MP?  One durable enemy with a skillset of only Wiznaibus would mostly nullify the Move-MP Up combo.

There's also the factor that Shields in the late game are so good evasion based reaction abilities begin to wane in effectiveness. Venetian, Genji, and Paladin Shields together with lets say Feather Mantle on Ramza (bad class evasion at only 10%) will give him 90% evasion with Paladin, 100% with Venetian, and 100% with Genji.

Evasion is multiplicative, not additive.  If you have a 60% evasion shield, and a 40% evasion mantle, you have 76% evasion.

For reaction abilities, I think only Speed Save, PA Save,or Sunken State really fall under this. While for items there's the many types of Boots, Vanish Mantle, Bracer, Genji Gauntlet. All of which add more to the characters role then an evasion based Mantle

You're missing Countermagic (can counter stuff like Haste and Reraise), Critical Quick, MA Save, MP Restore for the more support-style reactions.  Not to mention the basic offence reactions like Counter and Counter Flood.  But yes, the strongest reaction abilities are defence-oriented*.

*(except Critical Quick if fully abused)

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: October 15, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
Evasion is multiplicative, not additive.  If you have a 60% evasion shield, and a 40% evasion mantle, you have 76% evasion.

You're missing Countermagic (can counter stuff like Haste and Reraise), Critical Quick, MA Save, MP Restore for the more support-style reactions.  Not to mention the basic offence reactions like Counter and Counter Flood.  But yes, the strongest reaction abilities are defence-oriented*.

*(except Critical Quick if fully abused)
Doh! I flailed there, been too long since I looked through the BMG it seems. Counter Magic, yeah..it's pretty good, well it can be insanely good (Counter Magic Quick still works right?). I can't for the life of me find a situation where you would use Counter, honestly, aside from an early game SCC with Monks before you get Hammedo.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 15, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »
Counter Magic, yeah..it's pretty good, well it can be insanely good (Counter Magic Quick still works right?)

Quick is the only spell in LFT on which Counter Magic doesn't trigger.  (By necessity--calcs have innate non-charge.  Infinite turns!)

I mean, we could have left Counter Magic Quick in there (we left Critical Quick in, after all) but not without making the combo really obnoxious to set up.  Which...basically means making the Quick spell suck at doing anything other than an infinite combo.  Seems better to make the Quick spell not suck, and just remove that combo.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 15, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Non-Charge should just be left out of all discussion the ability adds an infinite amount of ways to break the game  :P (Granted at 9999 JP in Calc it takes a certain masochist to unlock it). Quite glad to see that combo (Quick Counter Magic) was removed it is as you said 'obnoxious', infinite turn scenarios should technically be impossible. Critical Quick is fine where it is, aside from suffering the handicap all critical abilities share (has to have a hit put you into a certain HP value yet not kill you, which doesn't happen all that often seems to me).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 16, 2010, 12:21:16 AM »
Err...there are?

I wasn't talking about Move-MP Up, just saying that any decent MP setup will have enough MP to easily absorb a poison hit. <.< MP Switch is plenty powerful without M-MPU, due to just soaking the first hit, Angel Song, and heck, even Chakra/Ethers (particularly the former since it can refresh more than one. Now, yes, poison spoils Move-MP Up nicely enough, but as you note, if this were actually a concern you'd just block poison. Or heal it. Or any number of other things. Even with its "spoil MP Switch + Move-MP Up" potential it's still one of the least dangerous status effects to be hit by, and status always disabled MP Switch just fine.

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 16, 2010, 12:25:09 AM »
Even disregarding balance arguments, LFT is still trying to maintain the original flavour of FFT.  Just saying FFT was designed with broken shit in there, I think straight up ripping out some of those classic combos kind of tears out the core design concepts that this was going in with.  Generally speaking finding ways to subvert the broken, challenge it or just make it expensive was the approach taken.

I believe LFT has done a bit of all the above in the case of Move MP Up -> MP Switch.

As for countering poison to spoil it, if you are having to set a reaction, a move ability and an accessory for you defensive combo?  You know what?  You can have that.  Enjoy being open to Petrify, Slow (oh my god SLOW), Sleep, Death, Don't Move, Charm, Berserk and a fist full of other things that bypass it.  Or you know, just getting punched in the face twice.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 16, 2010, 12:43:38 AM »
Yeah, Two Swords is a far more pertinent MP Switch spoiler (and indeed, most reactions that aren't Abandon, and even that assumes the attacker doesn't have Concentrate as well somehow). Granted, positioning is always the best Two Swords counter.

Maybe.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: October 16, 2010, 01:05:22 AM »
 I honestly can't remember more then one fight where an enemy had Two Swords AND was dangerous, that one fight being an optional to add as well. Blocking a host of status effects is rarely needed on more then 1 or 2 characters, Heal's cover-all-statuses (but only one target) and Stigma Magic's cover-almost-all-statuses (but restricted by location/vertical tolerance) deal with most of the bad status effects quite nicely. Not to mention Throw Item->Remedy. I could live with Poison protection but having nigh invulnerability, yet be vulnerable to other status effects. Could I live with the slower movement/killing power? Probably. Not to mention poison isn't all that often later in the game (seriously, looking back through my memory I can't find one instance in DD, aside from the Algus fight where it was pretty inconsequential). Nevermind, Eldibis but their guarding from Undead/Frog will go a hell of a lot further even counting MP Switch shennanigans. In fact that fight is brutal to MP Switch->Move MP Up, you have that goddamn Dark Whisper, tons of other enemies, and statuses, Auto-Pot/Blade Grasp work very nicely here. Back to poison, even with it's wicked range it still suffers from never really hitting all your characters as long as you aren't stupid bunching them all up, and when it only afflicts one person it's pretty quick and easy to get rid of, hence not hindering MP Switch+Move MP Up.

The original flavor of FFT is preserved just by the game being the game (same storyline, more-or-less same difficulty etc). I can see how enabling certain broken combos makes sense, Non-Charge is perfect in this sense. But having a combo that is pretty easy to obtain, yet with a set-up around it can negate almost all damage coming at the character, I'm not as hot about. It just seems unnecessary. It's quite funny in a sense that 4 Females+Ramza is probably open to be the most broken team set-up. Ribbons+MP Switch+Move MP Up+Chantages. Considering you can still have some great units out of this (Meli, Agrias...if properly grown, Reis..oh god Reis).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 16, 2010, 01:16:37 AM »
You are looking at skills that are third tier mage side skills that only work for physical character sides and effective shuts you out of using any magic, you aren't going to have access to Shell/Protect until late game (which work very well for turtling with this setup to help negate one of the weakness it has, MP Switch Protected Knight is silly, especially with robes), no haste until late game at all.  Again you are talking about setting up your entire party for it or at least a large portion of it.  Yeah you can heal status, this adds up to more and more turns spent turtling and less spent actually acheiving anything offensively.

If you put that much work into a defensive setup then, well yeah it should make you incredibly hard to kill.  If you put just as much work into an offensive one they you do some pretty crazy damage.  LFT does favour defensive setups a bit more than offensive ones though (is why you don't see this one get as much hype in FFT obviously, that and uh Auto-Potion healing like 80% of incoming damage in FFT >_>).

Getting punched in the face isn't limited to Two Swords, I am just straight up talking about 2 dudes wailing on you, you don't spend most of the game in one on one battles.