Register

Author Topic: Generic Bonus Match Draft  (Read 1457 times)

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Generic Bonus Match Draft
« on: October 20, 2008, 04:14:09 AM »
With the pending ranking of Cloud of Darkness (FF3) and the longevity of X-Death and Gilgamesh (FF5), there has been some griping regarding the PCs not being ranked.  As we all know, the key reason these two sets of PCs are not ranked is that they have no individualized skill set.  (And don't give me any garbage about the Intro Video!)

But it does make you wonder: who would win in a fight?  Bartz's Freelancers, or Luneth's?

The only reason I haven't entered this idea into the Bonus Match Topic as is proper is that I don't know of any other game that has modifiable Generic PCs that can gain varied skill sets after early dungeons, that have nothing else going for them, apart from minor statistic differences.

So, are there any other DL-ranked games that have this phenomena, which makes PCs unrankable but keeps major bosses intact, so that I don't overlook them?  I checked the ranking list and it doesn't look that way to me, but I want to make sure.

I'm actually hoping there's 2 more games, with probably 4 each.  (if only 3, I can make exceptions in the match.)  If we have a total of 4, or even just 3 games with a "no contest" option, the 4-Way-Tie Clause could come into effect.  Admit it, you do want to see 1337 Jogurts smite 3 or 4 parties of Generic PCs if at all possible.  ;-)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Generic Bonus Match Draft
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »
You probably won't find any more ranked games with completely generic (and therefore unranked) casts in the DL. I mean, unless your game's title has Final Fantasy in it, it's generally not even considered (and sometimes even if it -does- *coughcoughFFXII*).

You could find semi-generic casts pretty easily (FF7/8, WA3) who have customizable skills, but no real 'job classes' and still have some small unique features (limit breaks/starting equips). There are always games that have mixed PCs and generics (a party of four FFT squires? Or hey, those Prinnies in the beginning of Disgaea can transmigrate into -anything-!)

If you go into NR territory, there are more options, obviously. WA5 comes to mind as a mostly generic cast without Mediums (not quite 'job classes', but close). And the aforementioned FF12 has characters with no specific growth direction (and in Zodiac Job System, there -are- job classes to choose from).

If you go the NR direction, just try not to choose something too obscure.

-Djinn

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 04:24:51 AM »
Well there's FFT, rather notably (Lavian/Rad/Alicia).  And FFTA / FFTA2 (Luso & friends).  And as Djinn points out, FF12, though FF12 PCs unleashed in the DL would be beyond insane to fight thanks to Quickenings front-loading their damage massively.

A certain poster of taste and distinction went with a similar idea awhile back in this bonus match, of FF5 vs. FFT:
http://www.rpgdl.com/matchdetail.php?week=185&match=bonus1
(though it was inexplicably attributed to the mysterious "Coldfire...")

Also, not that balance should be that big an issue, but FF5 PCs are incredibly ridiculously nasty in this format thanks to the Time Mage spell Reset.  Don't like the way the battle is going?  Let's restart from the beginning.  On the other hand, according to the stat topic the FF3DS Onion Knights are beyond broken if you get their Job Level up to 99.

Anyway, if you want to write up a Bonus Match on this, go for it.  There's nothing wrong with two-way votes anyway; make people pick, and you can write a bit more background on each team.

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
Sorry for the delay in getting back...

Well, the idea of this Bonus Match would be to get the characters after the first real dungeon, i.e. right before the FF3 and FF5 casts get their first non-Freelancer Skills.  In other words, who would prevail with natural skills.  Not a fully-powered Master set.

Still, the lack of numbers on the FFT Team may be a good justification to exclude them too... (I never played FFT, BTW).

Then again, that DL-Interpret topic beckons...  Plus I got another idea inspired by the World Series...