Author Topic: Examining Final Fantasy Brave Exvius  (Read 17714 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Examining Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »
This topic is for all discussion about FFBE, including lucky pulls, team composition, event strategies, and general bitching and moaning.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
Re: Examining Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:17:05 PM »
Awesome this thread got made.

Alright, so.  Sitting on underpowered characters right now, and wondering if I can go into the Maxwell fight on the last day.  Thinking a reasonable party would be...  Elza/Tilith/Vaan/Fina (for Cheer)/...Rydia (for Summon gauge charge)/RW another Elza.  Think that might work?

Of course, I'm fully aware that if I go through with the spending and grinding I'm thinking of, I'm going to have to pass up on the Trust Moogle, but...  C'est la vie.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:42 PM »
FFBE Thanks Captain :)  Phased out Rain and Lasswell from my party and filtered in other units to set up Locke, Shadow, Ingus, Shantotto and Tilith. Was also using the 4* Fran who I have in reserve for on hand mt healing/cura, poison, and deprotect though Shantotto also has poison access and Ifrit apparently gives deprotect too. Just did the Inferno Hollow and picked up Ifrit. In the main story I'm after Phantom Forest. Is it ok to use things like the log in metal cactuars to give EXP to units or materials to develop my Espers or should I be holding onto those for now? I gave Shantotto Ifrit and Fran/Tilith Siren~

Yes feel free to use metal cactaurs on anything you're currently using.  You get them on a regular basis, especially when Cactaur Dunes comes up on the weekend rotation.  Speaking of which, you should be doing that, it's very easy and gives tons of xp.

Similarly, there's not a real incentive to hang onto magicite.  Having said that, Siren is not very good long-term so I wouldn't invest heavily in raising her.  Ifrit is good, and you should dump most of your magicite into him.  He's best on a physical attacker because he gives a large attack boost.

=====================

Oh god, Maxwell.  So.  This is an event that is almost current to Japan's content, i.e. it's horribly overpowered for our version of the game.  I made three attempts at it this morning, on the best run I got her down to 5%, then she healed and destroyed me.

If you don't have access to Cecil and Cloud of Darkness (at least one your own and one friend), I recommend you don't waste energy trying this fight.  Unless you just want to see how fast you die.

Personally this throws my plans out of whack.  I wasn't leveling Cecil because I was leveling his limit break first.  But now I'm going to have to grind Cactaurs all weekend to get him up to 6 stars.  Then do Maxwell, hopefully somehow survive long enough to summon Diabolos.  Then hit FFBE grind event hard because I slacked off on it last week.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 09:27:14 PM »
Thinking a reasonable party would be...  Elza/Tilith/Vaan/Fina (for Cheer)/...Rydia (for Summon gauge charge)/RW another Elza.  Think that might work?

This has some of the right elements but you're lacking a light-resistant tank (either Warrior of Light or Cecil).  You either need massive burst damage to kill her quickly, or massive sustain (like two Curaja healers and two tanks) to try to get Diabolos off.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 01:34:37 AM »
Okay, so I went into the Maxwell fight with four 6* units and a FullBreaker and I still got my ass handed to me.

Current team:
Lv 55 6* WWFina (Cheer, Raise, some healing, Barelementra carrier, the weak link but still my second-best Healer, though I do have Garnet)
Lv 80 6* Cloud of Darkness (OmniVeil, Barrage, ManEater+?, no good weapons, but maybe I could make her into a mage? Or just toss all my ATK+ stuff on her and hope it's enough?)
Lv 80 6* Cecil (Focus, Curaja, I tossed my Barrage materia on him too. Great healbot and Cover tank. MVP probably? I can try to max him out?)
Lv 100 D.Lasswell (Nightmare strike, and uh... Blizzaga? Whatever, Nightmare strike and his insane ATK stat is probably good enough to justify him.)
Lv 80 5* Agrias (Fullbreak, Cleansing Strike, Cura, she's kinda frail and I can't seem to get any damage out of her...)

Potentials: Vaan, BC Lid, Mustadio, Garnet, Kefka, Tellah, Garland, Ingus, Celes, Terra, Golbez, Kuja, Zidane, Amarant, Charlotte, Rydia, Kain, plus nearly every 4* capped unit.

I'm thinking about trying to max out my other three 6*s and giving it another shot, just to see if the boost in stats is all I need, but I just don't know how I'm gonna cobble together the raw damage to beat her, let alone build up enough gauge to summon Diablos before she heals and debuffs me then multihit overkills everyone but Cecil in one turn...

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 01:37:07 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/bdemh

Over 11K Karma.  This is what happens when you bring two Elzas and an extra BF character and then run into three Metal Gods: OVER 11K KARMA.

EDIT: According to the BE Wiki, Miranda Coast is the third-best stamina-to-EXP gain released so far.  Cactuar Dunes has an argument, but...  It's only better if you get three Metal Gigantaurs - even just two and a Metal Cactuar means that it loses out, if I did my math right.

EDIT2: Due to a stream of lucky Metal God groups, I managed to finish out my Karma grinding.  Got all the Metal Gigantuars, all the 160 6* Awakening materials, the Trust Moogle, the weapons, the non-Last Stand materia, and all the other rare/limited items.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:58:54 AM by Magic Fanatic »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:20:14 PM »
Beat Maxwell twice.  I cheated*, but fuck Gumi for releasing this trial so early and making me waste lapis on energy refills.

Spent all weekend grinding cactaurs, including 5 energy refills.  Got Cecil from 4* level 7 to 6* level 100, and also got Rydia to level 64 (thankfully I had already awakened her).

First attempt I was just trying to beat it.  WoL, Kefka, Luneth, Cecil, Refia, friend Elza (tried friend Cloud of Darkness, did not get the job done).  Cleared it, but didn't get any missions complete.

Second attempt I swapped Kefka out with Rydia.  Used Hyper on Rydia, then just defended while everyone else used normal attacks to build limit gauge.  She dumped her limit into Diabolos, then died shortly thereafter and there was no reason for me to revive her.  Rest of fight was just a slugfest with lots of item use.  I could have gotten the kill with limit award also, but I thought I had one more turn before Maxwell would die and killed her prematurely.  Anyway, I don't care, the 10k karma can be farmed and the beat with nobody dying is not happening with my team.

Now I have to bust my ass farming karma the rest of the week, but at least I finally get my 6 star Bartz soon.

*Maxwell uses Rune/Sacred Song every 4 turns to wreck your dreams.  If you force close the app, this turn timer resets but nothing else does.  Use at your own risk, this is potentially a bannable offense.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 11:48:06 PM »
Explain more about this force-close thing, because I'm fucking going for it if it'll help.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 01:18:49 AM »
Take your turn

Maxwell's turn

Take your turn

Maxwell's turn

Take your turn

Maxwell's turn

Close the app

Start over at beginning

This prevents her using Sacred Song and Rune which a) debuffs the fuck out of you and b) buffs herself.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 01:33:40 AM »
Well thanks, that worked perfectly!

Managed to throw out Diablos too thanks to Garnet.

So now I can farm with a proper BF unit. Yay. What bullshit this event is.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 02:13:04 AM »
Yeah I've gone from loving this game to hating it in the space of a week.  If I wanted bullshit events I would still be playing FFRK.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 08:05:30 AM »
If this upcoming FFV event has any of the same bullshit, I think I can safely cross this game off the list of things I spend my time on.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 05:06:52 PM »
Should be a one-time exploration thing like the FF3 event.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 04:52:02 AM »
Maxwell beaten.  Killed with a LB, and summoned Diablos at some point.  Went through 5 of each of the following: Elixir, Phoenix Down, X-Potion, Hi-Potion, and Turbo Ether.  Also went through 7 normal Ethers.

Party:
5*80 Fina
5*80 Black Cat Lid
6*100 Elza
5*80 Tilith
5*80 Vaan
6*100 Cecil RW

Screwed up in choosing my RW, and I picked one that had Golem at only R1...  So I had to make do anyway.  Vaan was the one carrying Diablos - I probably should've stuck it on Elza since she was tankier...  Ah well.  Hindsight.  Only ones the Phoenix Downs got used on were Fina and Vaan, and I had to leave Fina dead about 75% of the way into the fight due to running out of Phoenix Downs.  Tilith got two Elixirs, Cecil got two, and Vaan got one so I could keep Full Breaking her.

Really, REALLY gamed the RNG to let me get it that far, but I'm just glad I got it done.  Did you know that if you force close the app on her turn while it's still calculating her stuff, and then go back to the fight, she picks completely different stuff to do?  S'how I got her to Meteor Cecil almost exclusively (Elza tanked a few because I didn't feel like reloading for not-deaths, but eh, details).

I get the feeling I might kick myself down the line for not getting the Dark Resist 15%, but I don't think I'm strong enough outright to get that one, even with RNG gaming.

...So seeing as I just beat Maxwell, now what do I do?

EDIT: I could always start grinding and see how far I get towards the last four Materias I never picked up: 2x Demonic Life, 1x HP +15%, and 1x MAG +15%.  Last two...  Don't really strike me as that good, but eh, small victories, right?

EDIT 2?: You know what, I'm just going to keep editing my latest post unless someone else posts first.

So I'm up for the daily rollover.

"Oh hey, I can do the half price draw.  Let's see what I get."

*Throws in 250 Lapis, game spits out a blue gem*

"Aw, just a 3*, probably another trash unit like Pene-" *Game reveals what it is - a Cloud of Darkness*

"...Okay, I'll eat my words then!"

So that's my reaction.  Seeing as I now have a Cloud of Darkness, I think I'm done with rare summons until the upcoming FF5 event, since the only other thing that catches my eye here is DK Cecil's TMR, and...  Yeah.

Now here's the big question: do I blow my Trust Moogles on Locke so I can get Rising Sun for CoD faster, or hold on to them for something else, like Elza's Demon Scythe, Maxwell's Power of Creation, or...  Whatever else?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:46:52 AM by Magic Fanatic »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 10:23:39 AM »
Clearly you should use them on one of your many Zidanes.

After beating Maxwell, I grabbed the same overpowered whale friend and took on the Trial of the Fallen. Cleared it with surprising ease after the hell that was Maxwell, so now I have an actually -good- mage weapon. Also ignored the Arena and grinded out a Blood Sword, so now I've finished all the hard content in the game! Yay.

I hope the next story update has as many awesome one-liners as the last one, because that is literally the only fun part of the game anymore.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »
I don't have any unit from the Dark Destroyers banner except Garland, and I keep pulling Garland.  Like I would even be happy with Duane just to fill out the holes in my roster.

I'm saving my Trust Moogles to see if I pull Gilgamesh from FF5 banner, because his TM is best in the game by a large margin.  Otherwise... Maxwell TM is very nice.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 10:18:07 PM »
...I just got...  17622 Karma from this run of the third battle.  Three Metal Gods with a 450% bonus to Karma gain from party members - a Seria, a Tilith, Maxwell, and two Elzas.

So I'm sitting on 36K Karma right now between the rest of today and tomorrow.

And thanks for the advice - I'll hold off on using the TMoogles until either the FF5 banner goes away or I draw a Gilgamesh.

EDIT: Granted, still gonna work on the BF Banner even with all that.  Demonic Life looks like they could be could for swingy fights to bring up defense a bit, but would I be better served getting 6* Awakening materials rather than the HP/MAG +15% Materias?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:44:03 PM by Magic Fanatic »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 01:37:49 AM »
I went ahead and bought the HP+15%, because fights are getting increasingly difficult and grindy.  I think Gilgamesh has 1.5m hp, 50% more than Maxwell (but much less offense).  Magic+15% is meh, not worth the 70k but if you're grinding karma that fast go for it?

The new trial tomorrow is a multi-part plant with varying elemental weaknesses, so your best bet is using physical aoes to hit everything at once.  I have my Luneth set up for it with Plant Killer+Ifrit.  Just chain some aoes with his Hit All.  I probably won't get to it until Friday because still farming karma.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 04:25:39 PM »
Latest Story Update:
Well, the writing is still spot-on. Honestly, it feels like I'm playing a slightly-more-serious Cthulhu Saves The World. Fina is quickly becoming my favorite character, in a shocking twist.

Actual challenge-wise, the biggest challenge is trying to get the achievements for the boss fights, which can actually be tricky. I couldn't even manage Leviathan's No Magic challenge with my A-Team... There's 10 Lapis I'll never get!

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 07:28:21 PM »
Just keep in mind that techs apparently don't count as magic - for example, there was one instance my nephew ran into of "kill the boss with magic", he killed it with Tilith's Prism Heart (which deals magical damage) and missed the achievement.

Therefore, it stands to reason that if you have a non-magic tech that heals (like Tilith's Goddess's Miracle?), you might be able to pull it off.

Also!  Nephew started playing it a few days ago.

Units of note he pulled:
Charlotte 3*
Chizuru 5*
Vaan 3*
Tilith 4*
Cloud of Darkness 3*

And a whole bunch of others.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:57:56 PM by Magic Fanatic »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 04:47:43 AM »
"Look at you in your big-boy armor!"

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
FF5 event! I think I might just ignore it until I finish the story update since the story is actually pretty awesome.

But thanks to all the Lapis they are throwing at us from the new achievements system, I did my first ever 11-pull. Got 4 Bartz, 3 Exdeaths, 4 Farises, and some Bediles. No Gilgamesh unfortunately, but hey, that's more FF5 units than FF3 units or BF units I ever got.

And it's two new 6*s for me. I went ahead and combined the Bartzes because I don't need 4 copies of Doublehand. I'm considering holding onto the Exdeaths if it turns out 3 of them is my best option for a Mage team. Faris and Bedile were insta-combined.

Would have been nice to get Lenna, honestly...

Not sure if I should keep pulling for Gilgamesh or just call this banner 'finished'.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »
First rainbow crystal  (ticket summon on FF5 event) ... 5* Rosa :o
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »
Daily pull: Russel
11-pull: 4-star Xiao, Fran, Luna, Exdeath, Clyne, Bartz, Faris, Faris, Clyne, Krile, Russel
Tickets: Exdeath, Exdeath, Lani, Clyne, Faris, Bartz, Ingus, Leo, Shadow, Luna, Cyan, Shantotto, Penelo, 4-star Faris, Edgar, Penelo, 4-star Bedile, Sabin

EDIT:  Gilgamesh's victory animation is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhcV1Aw5KJQ
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:01:01 PM by Captain K »

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »
Only notable draw I got was a Gaffgarion.  Outside of that, I got...  A Shantotto and a 4* Fran?

Is there an easier way of farming Sacred Crystals than farming Awakening Dungeon INT the whole time, or do I still just have to gamble on whatever that chance is to drop them?