Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129525 times)

Taishyr

Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #500 on: October 25, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »
Final Fantasy Tactics (Not War of the Lions if we're supposed to vote on the original why is this even here) Non-Generic PCs:
Ramza Beoulve: 8/10  Best and most consistent character by default, requires no twinking whatsoever, will always be good though not super amazing.
Agrias Oaks: 7.5/10  Evade-ignoring group damage that doesn't require MP.  Badass and notably better than your average generic physical options.  (Sorry Snow!)  Also, joins at the right time to enter as your fifth, and is generally highly convenient and easy to pick up and use.  (Certainly more than grinding someone to Concentrate in vanilla.  Ew, vanilla Archer.  Ew, using the support slot in vanilla.)
Mustadio Bunanza: 7/10  Also joins at the right time and fills a convenient niche.  I give him a lot of credit for Arm Aim, long range disable means he always has something productive to do and otherwise can stand as your Chemist.  Objectively he's not much better than a generic, but he's handed to you on a platter and convenience counts a lot for me in terms of "in game use". 
Rafa Galthana: 1/10 Joins too late, is useless
Malak Galthana: 0/10 Joins too late, is more useless
Beowulf Kadmus: 5/10 Joins too late, is useful out of the box but by now you probably have a team you're comfortable with, so he replaces in average at best.
Reis Dular: 2/10 Useful if messing with monsters a lot?
Worker 8: 6/10 Joins late but can easily replace a PC and be useful/better than they were.
Cidolfas Orlandu: 9/10  Spell his name right.  Needs no introduction or explanation.  Not 10/10 good though.  You can still lose with him.  It's hard but you can.
Meliadoul Tingel: 2/10 possibly can do something in a fight but no.
Cloud Strife: 0/10 No.  By the time you have him and make him usable there's no way you could actually need him for anything.
Byblos: 0/10 Hahahahaahahahaha.

This works.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 27, 2010, 04:18:54 AM »
Final Fantasy Tactics (War of the Lions) Non-Generic PCs:
Ramza Beoulve: 8.5/10.  Yeah, text book example of a well rounded, but not-broken PC.
Delita Hyral: 6/10.  Good Chapter 1 support; he's an extra PC as far as I'm concerned for a good deal of chapters
Algus Sadalfas: 4/10.  Meanwhile, he actually makes you use 4 PCs instead of 5, so I feel he's notably worse; also aronud less.
Agrias Oaks: 7/10.  Joins early enough that Generics don't have too firm of an advantage, and Holy Sword is good.  Being female is double edged for her; on one hand, yay Perfumes! On the otherhand, boo PA.
Gaff Gafgarion: DNR.  Yeah, not around long enough to care.
Ovelia Akatscha: DNR. ...so what's that say about her?
Mustadio Bunanza: 5/10.  Not bad, but honestly doesn't feel worth using over a generic the way Agrias is, for all that he joins early enough to be salvageable.
Alma Beoulve: DNR. Ovelia with slightly more usage! ...yeah no.
Olan Durai: DNR. ONE FIGHT AWWW YEAH!
Rafa Galthana: 2/10.  Low Brave and Fast means she's good for item finding! That's...something?
Malak Galthana: 1/10.  Male Mage whose got a crappy base class, joins latish, and no real redeeming qualities other than Low Faith! ...oh right, LOWERING Faith was easy.
Beowulf Kadmus: 6/10.  Interesting alternative to an Oracle.
Reis Dular: 3/10.  Project who joins too late to be worth a damn.
Worker 8: 5/10.  Nice little unit whose strong out of the gate, but sometimes doesn't feel quite strong enough and joins latish.
Cidoflas Orlandu: 8/10.  Good Emergency "Oh shit my team sucks" character who can really make the later parts a lot easier, and is strong enough to overcome the lateness to some degree.  Granted, part of it is the equips kicking in, but he's got the stats and additional options (like Thief Hat) to futher solidify.
Meliadoul Tingel: 2.5/10.  Sigh, in WotL, she show shades of decency where she can hit monsters...and is still having this "Owned by Orlandu" issue.  Really needed to join in Chap 3 when there were enough Plot Fights left, and BEFORE Orlandu outdoes her at everything.
Zalbag Beoulve: DNR.  Yeah, no.
Cloud Strife: 2/10.  He's got a good skillset and stats aren't bad...but being level 1 REALLY kills his overall performance that late.
Byblos: 1/10.  Joins too fucking late to be worth anything remote a damn.

Chrono Cross Black Innates:
Mojo: 3/10.  Joins early, but you already have 3 PCs by then, and he's worse than all of them, GREAT JOB!
Guile: 5/10.  Decent Mage with interesting Elemental Grid, but he's split path, and he misses the entire mid game.
Luccia: 3/10.  Crappy.
Harle: 7/10. Bad ass across the board with good techs!  She'd be potential MVP over Serge if she was a permanent character.
Grobyc: 5/10.  Decent enough overall.
Skelly: 4/10.  Joins late and didn't seem that special beyond one trick.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 05, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »
Unrelated to FFT rankings, but important note nonetheless! Tal has helped me with a script after I transcribed all the data into a nice big spreadsheet. Rankings of more or less everything so far can be seen here:

http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=DL_In-game_character_rankings
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2010, 03:29:37 AM »
I shouldn't be this happy about a spreadsheet, but that's actually really cool, Tide. ;)

Are you going to post a few more of these on the wiki? We can link them from their own section on the Features area.

Man, when are we gonna get our FP site? ;_;

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 06, 2010, 04:58:06 PM »
I've been lazy, but I will get an update to this topic tonight!  Worry not, its far from dead!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 06, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »
Tide: The chart lists all BoF1 and BoF2 characters as being from BoF2. I'd fix it myself except you obviously have some script that does it. Also I am lazy.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 06, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »
Djinn: What do you mean a few more of these? If you mean charts, there's a variety of them in the stat topics I ported since I use tables to sort the information. If you mean other RPG feature charts...well I was going to do the RPG ratings, but Soppy's taking care of that. I'm unaware as to what else you are referring to, so you're going to have to specify.

NEB: Got it, fixed. Good eye. I actually *don't* have a script and have to scan it manually (the script prevents us from having to wiki text 400+ lines, not finding names). Still, very few entries, so it was pretty easy to find. Let me know if you see any other errors.  Thanks.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2010, 08:59:20 PM »
Hey, you're only like...3 fairly complicated algorhythms away from being able to automate RPG Rating scores!!!
...into the nightfall.

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
Ramza Beoulve: 7.5/10 Good stats and all, he just doesn't stand out as superior.
Delita Hyral: 6.5/10 Earlygame filler. Also, gets half a point for Holy Knight guest appearances.
Algus Sadalfas: 5.5/10 Delita with slightly worse stats.
Agrias Oaks: 7/10 Not overpowering, but noteworthy.
Gaff Gafgarion: DNR, not around long enough.
Ovelia Akatscha: DNR
Mustadio Bunanza: 5/10 Warm body.
Alma Beoulve: DNR
Olan Durai: DNR
Rafa Galthana: 1.5/10 I guess low Brave is useful for item finding.
Malak Galthana: 1/10 Worse than Rafa.
Beowulf Kadmus: 6/10 Instant crippling status, and some other cool tricks? Sure.
Reis Dular: 2.5/10 100% Invite on Tiamats is worth something.
Worker 8: 5/10 At least he's immune to all spells, most statuses, and most elements while resisting physical attacks! Sheesh, FFT's so skewed toward offense.
Cidolfas Orlandu [Spelling corrected]: 9/10 I could see ranking him below Ramza or even Insert Generic Here, who can break the game well before Orlandu is recruited. But breaking the game with Orlandu is just so straightforward. He's the Anti-Gau.
Meliadoul Tingel: 2/10 Well... if Orlandu were dead, you could use her to Hellcry Punch Rofel? I guess?
Zalbag Beoulve: DNR Even nonstandard RSM cannot induce me to rank a one-fight Guest.
Cloud Strife: 2.5/10 At least he's not Malak! Or Rafa. Or Meliadoul.
Byblos: Abstain. I haven't used him in years and can't bring myself to care.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 06, 2010, 11:53:14 PM »
Final Fantasy Tactics (War of the Lions) Non-Generic PCs:
Ramza Beoulve: 8.06
Delita Hyral: 5.75
Algus Sadalfas: N/A
Agrias Oaks: 6.75
Gaff Gafgarion: N/A
Ovelia Akatscha: N/A
Mustadio Bunanza:  5.13
Alma Beoulve: N/A
Olan Durai: N/A
Rafa Galthana: 1.83
Malak Galthana: 1.03
Beowulf Kadmus: 6.06
Reis Dular: 2.73
Worker 8: 5.57
Cidolfas Orlandu: 8.66
Meliadoul Tingel: 2.97
Zalbag Beoulve: N/A
Cloud Strife: 1.96
Byblos: 1.06

Chrono Cross Black Innates:
Mojo: 2.36
Guile: 4.78
Luccia: 1.75
Harle: 6.75
Grobyc: 4.44
Skelly: 3.71

Best Rating of this Session: Orlandu w/ 8.66
Worst Rating of this Session: Malak w/ 1.03
Algus, Gafgarion, Ovelia, Alma, Olan and Zalbag are all inelligible of ranking!

Chrono Cross is finished.  Congrats to Serge for getting the highest rating in the game, and everyone mock Turnip for getting the lowest.  And cause we finished another large cast, I extend the top 10 to top 20, and the Big Losers gets a likewise boost!

Top 20 Ratings:
1. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
2. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
3. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
4. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHC) 9.25
5. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
6. Haar (FE10) 9.17
7t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
7t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
9. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
10. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
11. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
12. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
13. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
14. Tana (FE8) 8.73
15. Purim (SoM) 8.70
16. Maria Traydor (SO3) 8.68
17. Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT) 8.66
18t. Claude Kenni (SO2) 8.63
18t. Nailah (FE10) 8.63
20. Ike (FE10) 8.58

Top 20 Failures:
1. Karla (FE7) 0.77
2. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
3. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
4. Malak Golthana (FFT) 1.03
5. Byblos (FFT) 1.06
6. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
7. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
8. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
9. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
10. Garret (FE6) 1.36
11. Mogu (BoF) 1.50
12. Noel Chandler (SO2) 1.55
13. Klein (FE6) 1.64
14t. Fiona (FE10) 1.75
14t. Merlinus (FE6) 1.75
16. Sophia (FE6) 1.78
17t. Isadora (FE7) 1.73
17t. Rafa Galthana (FFT) 1.73
19. Leon Geeste (SO2) 1.85
20. Turnip (CC) 1.88

So I figured since we did FFT Heroes...WHY NOT DO GENERICS NEXT!?

Also, please follow directions.  Do not delete names if you aren't rating them or DNRing them (unless you give a note somewhere that says "DNR to all *insert whatever here*"; that's fine).  Either leave the name blank, abstain, or DNR them (remember, DNR and Abstain are NOT the same for how I count things; for the record, blank entries are treated as Abstains), but do not delete them please.  It makes keeping track of this stuff harder and its kind of annoying.
However, note that if you aren't rating the game at all, you can delete it; I have nothing against that if you are not rating anything from the game, so that's cool.  Its just if you are rating something from the game, and then delete entries, its a pain in the ass (accidents do happen I'm aware, but what is an accident and what isn't is obvious in this regard).  I know it sounds like I'm moaning but it does make things simpler, the way I do it, if you just follow directions.

And because you guys failed to follow directions, I have picked a "punishment" game for this session! Not that I suspect it'll do much:

Final Fantasy 8:
Squall Leonhart:
Quistis Treppe:
Zell Dincht:
Seifer Almasy:
Selphie Tilmitt:
Laguna Loire:
Kiros Seagill:
Ward Zabac:
Rinoa Heartilly:
Irvine Kinneas:
Edea Kramer:

Final Fantasy Tactics Generics:
Squire:
Chemist:
Knight:
Archer:
Wizard:
Priest:
Monk:
Thief:
Time Mage:
Oracle:
Geomancer:
Lancer:
Summoner:
Mediator:
Ninja:
Samurai:
Calculator:
Bard:
Dancer:
Mime:

Again, War of the Lions is not to be factored in.  This is the original, North American, OFFICIAL version only.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:54:12 AM by Meeplelard »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2010, 01:35:05 AM »
Final Fantasy 8:
Squall Leonhart: 8/10 - Significantly better than everyone else for multiple reasons
Quistis Treppe: 6/10 - Useful for Degenerator and maybe a few other things
Zell Dincht: 7/10 - #2 go-to damage dealer
Seifer Almasy: 5/10 - Pretty good temp, but nothing special
Selphie Tilmitt: 3/10 - Magic is all but worthless in this game.  Full healing can be a negative thing.
Laguna Loire: 5/10
Kiros Seagill: 5/10
Ward Zabac: 5/10
Rinoa: 2/10 - I can't think of any good reason to use her over anyone else
Irvine Kinneas: 6/10 - He's good, but I prefer Zell since he doesn't use ammo.
Edea Kramer: 5/10

Squire: 3/10 - They're actually not that bad.  Great for starting out until you have better classes.
Chemist:  8/10 - Incredibly useful support units with Guns
Knight: 2/10 - By the time they get Knight Swords you should already have PCs with swordskills
Archer: 3/10 - Guns are better throughout basically the entire game. 
Wizard: 7/10 - Excellent early game unit, worthwhile later on but overshadowed
Priest: 4/10 - Pretty good late game mage thanks to Holy and speed, but not really worth it over Chemists
Monk: 7/10 - Can't go wrong with them, but they aren't especially overpowered.
Thief: 5/10 - Good for the Steal set, but otherwise very ho-hum.
Time Mage: 8/10 - Time Magic is amazing and the effects are not duplicated by many other skills.
Oracle: 7/10 - More useful in challenge runs, but FFT status is still awesome. Also sticks.
Geomancer: 7/10 - Underrated.  They work as carriers, but hold their own otherwise.  Elemental is a great secondary to have.   
Lancer: 7/10 - Best Dragoons in the series since being self-sufficient is more important in FFT.  Jump is a little tricky for new players though.
Summoner: 8/10 - Pretty awesome damage mage units for the entire game, and Golem is icing on the cake.
Mediator: 3/10 - Useful for modifying Faith and a few abilities, but otherwise fairly lame
Ninja: 9/10 - Broken if used correctly, an army of Ninjas wins this game easily
Samurai: 6/10 - Crappy, but their skill set is worth a ton, especially on mage builds.
Calculator: 6/10 - Same thing here, but I can't rate them higher because they're obnoxious to unlock.
Bard: 3/10 - Not that useful in a normal run, but can work
Dancer: 3/10 - Same here, although they annihilate Chapters 1 and 2 pretty thoroughly if unlocked early.
Mime: 2/10 Not enough payoff for the time investment.  If you're Miming Math Skill, the idea of a balanced game doesn't matter to you anymore anyway.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 07, 2010, 01:58:42 AM »
FF8 can go jump off a cliff.

Squire: Gained JP Up.  The class itself isn't something to be used for any longer than you have to but hey.  3/10
Chemist: Hey look it's your best reviver.  8/10
Knight: Just bad.  2/10
Archer: lolcharge.  2/10
Wizard: whee carriers.  7/10
Priest: uh they have AoE healing at least.  4/10
Monk: Monks do not impress me.  3/10
Thief: Thieves impress me less.  2/10
Time Mage: Haste/Slow are nice enough.  Not too much else going on there though.  7/10
Oracle: Status is fun and useful.  7/10
Geomancer: The stats/equips are nice but I am not enamoured with the skillset.  6/10
Lancer: Not really a fan.  4/10
Summoner: Oh man these guys.  9/10
Mediator: I'm not really big on Br/Fa modification and they're not even that great at *that* niche.  2/10
Ninja: Two Swords is cool.  8/10
Samurai: The skillset is alright enough but man the class itself is bad.  4/10
Calculator: I can unlock stuff for Math Skill broken or I can just get on with the game.  5/10
Bard: Whee a pain to unlock and generally not good!  1/10
Dancer: Whee a pain to unlock and generally not good!  1/10
Mime: Mime is Adam Division material.  0/10

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 07, 2010, 01:11:26 AM »
Death to FF8.

Edea Kramer:

Squire: 5/10. Move+1 and gained JP UP are worth 4 points.
Chemist: 9/10. Chemists are silly. Awesome skillset and get guns, what is not to love?
Knight: 3.5/10. Some use early and late, but breaks aren't very good and they lag painfully once hats get awesome.
Archer: 3.5/10. Good equipment mix- they can make nasty lancers if you're inclined to poach a good spear- but charge limits their use.
Wizard: 8/10. Black Magic is great early game and they are effective carriers.
Priest: 6/10. Class is pretty below average, but White Magic is very good.
Monk: 6/10. Lots of useful things here! Monk really hates the poor equip options though.
Thief: 2/10. A few lategame uses (Poaching/catching) but for the most part this class is terrible.
Time Mage: 7/10. Very solid.
Oracle: 7.5/10. They make surprisingly competent fighters or mages.
Geomancer: 6/10. Straight up carrier like Knight, but is better at it.
Lancer: 4/10. Augh FFT Armor.
Summoner: 7/10. Summons are pretty fun.
Mediator: 3/10. Brave/faith twinking is cool! Train is useful every so often as well.
Ninja: 9/10. Godlike offense.
Samurai: 4/10. Skillset/skills of awesome, stats/class of fail.
Calculator: 6/10. Loses four points for the speed. Thankfully you can rip Math skill off and put it on other units.
Bard: 2/10. Move+3! Everything else is trash.
Dancer: 1/10. Trash.
Mime: 0/10- Is Mime.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 07, 2010, 02:34:26 AM »
Final Fantasy 8:
Squall Leonhart: 7/10. Not much to say, Squall's the best choice most of the time thanks to auto-crits. Limits aren't bad either.
Quistis Treppe: 4/10. I like Quistis, but objectively, eh. Guess she kills some high-level randoms easily if you want to grind against them or something!
Zell Dincht: 5/10. Best limit damage is something. A point over the bland people.
Seifer Almasy: DNR
Selphie Tilmitt: 4/10. Another meh choice, yay Full-Cure?
Laguna Loire: DNR
Kiros Seagill: DNR
Ward Zabac: DNR
Irvine Kinneas: 2/10. lulz. Item farming just to use limits? hahaha. Awful damage with the storebought stuff. No notable stats otherwise.
Edea Kramer: DNR
Rinoa: 7/10. Best stats by quite a ways is worth something.

Squire: 3/10. Gained JP Up and Move+1.
Chemist: 8/10. Phoenix Down and Auto-Potion are both top-tier abilities.
Knight: 2/10. Needed innate defences up.
Archer: 2/10. Needed the best ST damage skillset.
Wizard: 8/10. Yeah, early black magic is great, and it's an excellent carrier forever.
Priest: 6/10. Okay. Holy is nice, some GT healing (although Summon's probably better for that), and the only revival that lets you take a hit, although slow revival has problems. EDIT: Raised the score a touch, Holy = best human boss-killing offence and the Math Skill capstone, after all.
Monk: 5/10. Decent, but only decent.
Thief: 2/10. ****ing thieves.
Time Mage: 7.5/10. Teleport rules. SC and the skillset are good too.
Oracle: 7/10. Status is great. Not bad otherwise. Life Drain = best zodiac boss-killing offence.
Geomancer: 5.5/10. I want to like them more, but no. Good carrier at least.
Lancer: 3/10. Heavy armour is kinda lame.
Summoner: 8.5/10. Kills shit dead. Best offence for randoms which is the most important. By far. Math Skill surpasses it but Summon takes no effort to make godly, and effort only makes it better.
Mediator: 3/10. Not much to say. Guns or something.
Ninja: 6.5/10. Mm, think they're a little overrated around here, but still an excellent vehicle for ST smash. That's about it, though (durability is lame for a melee character).
Samurai: 4/10. Nice skills, but we know the problem here.
Calculator: EDIT: 7.5/10. I am so damn mood swingy on calculators. On reflection, though... the most efficient way to tear through the game involves 5 classes (Chemist, Wizard, TM, Summoner, Calculator... maybe with a side of Priest in there for Holy but whatevs, it's less important). Though being in Calc itself is still quite painful, it's not quite as self-contained as Summoner or even Chemist. Not that I rate things for self-containment alone, but it is a point; the best classes both are good standalone AND contribute a lot to a cross-class setup. But anyway, Calc gets to hang out towards the lower end of the big five.
Bard: 1/10. Haha. Game fails to make me care about Move+3.
Dancer: 2/10. Nameless Dance is good early at least.
Mime: 0/10. The one, the only.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:46:12 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »
Squire: 4/10. Move+1 and Gained JP up.
Chemist: 6/10. Good at what it does. Suffers if you go to high levels, but is all around solid. In general I'm less in love with item+auto potion+guns than most of the FFT crowd.
Knight: 3/10. Needed work. They aren't unsalvageable, but Knight Swords end up benefiting the special characters and not their namesakes. Oh well.
Archer: 5/10. Serviceable but overshadowed. Charge isn't that good to top it off.
Wizard: 8.5/10. Black magic is great even if Holy/other stuff overshadows it later.
Priest: 8/10. Good healing, revival, status and Holy. Faith is a concern, but this shouldn't matter if you coordinate your team at all. CT issues do hamper them though.
Monk: 8.5/10. Hits things hard, can be tweaked out for more power with brave adjustments and has a shiny skill-set. One of my favorite classes to use, especially on Ramza.
Thief: 1/10. Steal gets a point.
Time Mage: 4/10. Haste machines, occasionally tossing a slow out too. Boring and Meteor is absolutely terrible.
Oracle: 6/10. Status abuse and sticks is a good combo. Obsoleted later on by Beowulf, who avoids CT altogether.
Geomancer: 7/10. Interesting class, mainly useful for long range Elemental abuse. This is really useful though and worth some investment, and Attack UP is really nice.
Lancer: 5/10. Spears are good, Dragon Spirit's not bad. They break about even since Jump has some issues.
Summoner: 6/10. I'd rather use a black mage to do a summoners job, and I find the later abilities all but worthless.
Mediator: 6/10. Essential for brave/faith manipulation, highly useful for invite. Hard to grade since they're otherwise mediocre in battle.
Ninja: 9/10. Stab, stab, things die. Has issues but overwhelming offense is really damned good, as is two swords.
Samurai: 3/10. Warrior class that relies on MA. Good design choice there. Two hands get overshadowed by two swords too.
Calculator: 3/10. Nice on paper, pain in the ass to get. I'm never sure how to grade 'em.
Bard: 1/10. Le trash.
Dancer: 1/10. Le trash.
Mime: 0/10. M-M-MEGATRASH.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 07, 2010, 07:23:03 AM »
Final Fantasy 8:
Squall Leonhart: 7. Works for basically the reasons NEB listed, although looking at it, most of mine were pretty close to his.
Quistis Treppe: 5. Basically also for the same reason NEB said, minus that I got use out of her high level stuff!
Zell Dincht: 5. Yep. Damage could go higher, but method of inflicting damage is kind of annoying.
Seifer Almasy: Abstain
Selphie Tilmitt: 3.5
Laguna Loire: Abstain
Kiros Seagill: Abstain
Ward Zabac: Abstain
Rinoa Heartilly: 5.5. Stat boost is nice, but junctioning makes it kind of minor. Obvious enough to make her number 2, although the limit...yeah, that sucked.
Irvine Kinneas: 2.5

I'd do FFT generics, but I'm pretty sure I was pretty bad at playing RPGs back then and my worth of class views would be highly colored by this.
...into the nightfall.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #516 on: November 07, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
Irvine Kinneas: 2/10. lulz. Item farming just to use limits? hahaha. Awful damage with the storebought stuff. No notable stats otherwise.

Au contraire. He has the shortest attack animation, which is the limit on how fast you can attack once you max out speed. Eventually he becomes twice as fast as everyone else.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 07, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »
Final Fantasy 8:
Squall Leonhart: 9/10. Kinda easily the best character - some of the best limits, best damage, near-perfect availability...
Quistis Treppe [Trepe]: 8/10. Degenerator. Simple as that.
Zell Dincht: 7/10. Good damage output, ridiculous Limits.
Seifer Almasy: 5/10. Ridiculous at time of use, waaay too limited on availability.
Selphie Tilmitt: 5/10. Credit for The End? haha no. Full-Cure and good Spirit are about the only things that get her this.
Laguna Loire: DNR.
Kiros Seagill: DNR.
Ward Zabac: DNR.
Rinoa Heartilly: 4/10. Good limit, but it's late-game only and she has literally nothing past that.
Irvine Kinneas: 3/10. To be fair, it's item farming for good limits - Pulse Ammo's pretty ridiculous. Buuut he's kinda bad past that.
Edea Kramer: 0.5/10. Joins for a section where there are no bosses and she's kinda crap for that time and low availability? Get out.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 07, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »

Squall Leonhart: 6.3/10.  Good, but honestly, limits are what matter most, and otherwise everyone is the saaaaaaame.
Quistis Treppe: 4.0/10.  Bleh.
Zell Dincht: 7.2/10.  Yay controllable, good limit
Seifer Almasy: 6.3/10.  Hey spammable limit
Selphie Tilmitt: 6.3/10.  Choosing limit effect is nice.
Laguna Loire: 6/10.
Kiros Seagill: 2/10.
Ward Zabac: 3.7/10.
Rinoa Heartilly: 7/10.  Hey, some more decent limits if you play around with them! 
Irvine Kinneas: 4.6/10.  Eh, at least he could out-damage Quistis.
Edea Kramer: 1.4/10.  Useless.

Bleh, Final Fantasy Tactics generics.  Let's see how much I remember.

Squire: 3.4/10.
Chemist: 8.8/10
Knight: 3.1/10.
Archer: 3.7/10.
Wizard: 8.2/10.
Priest: 7.3/10.
Monk: 4.4/10.
Thief: 3.4/10.
Time Mage: 6.8/10.
Oracle: 6.9/10.
Geomancer: 4.1/10.
Lancer: 3.4/10.
Summoner: 8.8/10.
Mediator: 4.8/10.
Ninja: 6.1/10.
Samurai: 3.1/10.
Calculator: 10/10.
Bard: 2.8/10.
Dancer: 3.3/10
Mime: 8.0/10.

Next game suggestions: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, Shadow Hearts: From the New World, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, Star Ocean: Fantastic Journey

Bonus ones at best!!!: Starcraft!!!!!!, Team Fortress 2!!!!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 07, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Final Fantasy 8:
Squall Leonhart: 7.5/10.
Quistis Treppe: 3.5/10.
Zell Dincht: 3.5/10.
Seifer Almasy: DNR
Selphie Tilmitt: 3.5/10.
Laguna Loire: vox is too sexy/10
Kiros Seagill: Black dude with HAND BLADES/10. Why do black PCs in FFs always have their weapons attached to their body
Ward Zabac: Anchor time/10
Irvine Kinneas: 3.5/10.
Rinoa: 7/10.
Rinoa Heartilly: 4/10. Good limit, but it's late-game only and she has literally nothing past that.

Really, having game-best stats is more important than people's limits IMO, and Rinoa has this! So saying she has 'literally nothing else' seems a little off when she clearly does have other things!

Squire: 3/10.
Chemist: 8/10.
Knight: 2/10.
Archer: 2/10.
Wizard: 8/10.
Priest: 6/10. Holy is fabulous.
Monk: 5/10.
Thief: 2/10.
Time Mage: 6.5/10
Oracle: 7.5/10. Drain smacks some Zodiac bitches up, status handles randoms~
Geomancer: 4.5/10.
Lancer: 4.5/10. Oh come on they are fun
Summoner: 9/10.
Mediator: 2/10.
Ninja: 7/10.
Samurai: 4/10.  Hmph. I want to give them higher here, but they are kinda like Calculator except I like them better conceptually.
Calculator: 4/10. I'm going to be the asswipe here and say that I hate Calculators even though objectively they can break the game if you build yourself in a certain way but only their skillset is useful, not the class!!! And you button mash for combinations like a boring person with a boring life. I basically agree with Random on this. Also Calculator is stupid and annoys me.
Bard: 1/10.
Dancer: 2/10.
Nameless Dance is good early at least.
if you have dancers very early you're riding the crazy train
Mime: 0/10.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 07, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
Really, having game-best stats is more important than people's limits IMO, and Rinoa has this! So saying she has 'literally nothing else' seems a little off when she clearly does have other things!

I disagree.  Limits are the only thing that matter in FF8 period when differentiating between the characters, or at least they have been every time I've played it.  Renzokuken and Duel are better than Rinoa's Magic stat.  Any advantage she has in stats is irrelevant anyway because the Junction system adds more to the final stats than the base stats ever will.  In that regard, the only characters that truly have an advantage are Irvine early on (Spd-J is rare) and Squall with his auto-crit.  Later on, Quistis and Selphie have 255% Accuracy, but by then it's a moot point. Of course to be fair, I think it would be better to rate GFs than characters in FF8, since they are more distinct (and technically even they aren't that distinct since you can modify their abilities).  Or you could just rate cards because who the hell cares about FF8 battles amirite.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 07, 2010, 05:35:24 PM »
Or you could just rate cards because who the hell cares about FF8 battles amirite.
This.

But in response to Ciato, game-best Magic in FF8 is like having game-best Strength in FF6. It's really not worth much of anything, since Magic shouldn't really be used past positive status, Meltdown and healing, outside of the odd niche fight (and even then, it's generally set effect stuff like Demi). GFs are better as meat-shields than anything else, and Rinoa even has the problem of being excluded against the hardest boss in-game (and, although I won't penalise her for it, technically, she's actually a hindrance in that fight. Goddamn Adel. >_<) So yeah, I would say she has nothing past a late-game Limit, because game-best Magic means nothing in FF8.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 07, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »
In a normal playthrough where you aren't really engaging in extra levelling of any kind, the stats are definitely an edge. Rinoa's magic shouldn't be compared to Renzokuken and Duel because Rinoa's magic is relevant regardless of Rinoa's HP. It's not a lot, but the best edge I think a non-Squall person has (Zell would have an edge...it I cared to stretch out a 5 second limit our forever, let along the 12 second ones!)
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 07, 2010, 05:59:04 PM »
What Dhyer said. Also, Rinoa has a similar edge in strength, too, so even if you wrongfully believe FF8 magic sucks, she has an offensive advantage regardless.

EDIT: Never mind. Debating boss difficulty is irrelevant and a distraction. I will just say I find it ridiculous to penalise Rinoa for misisng one boss fight, and I definitely don't consider that one boss fight at all hard. <_<
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:02:43 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 07, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »
I don't necessarily mind not respecting it, but giving her a lower rating than -almost everyone else in the cast- seems highly suspect to me. I personally consider Limits rather irrelevant personally, because lol push O is lame.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!