Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194928 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1750 on: June 30, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »
Final Fantasy All The Autobattles In London - R3 Intimidate, R3 Blizzara Sword and R3 Thundaga. Yeah, this ain't going too bad.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 30, 2015, 10:02:39 PM »
Knight swords are a nice payoff late, but a generic Knight is pretty low on the totem poll for those. Knights really needed FFT armor to not be so aggressively bad past C1, among other things.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:47 PM »
Knight Swords better than Defender (which isn't that great, especially if you didn't reroll for high starting Brave on your generics) are uncommon enough that you have no real reason not to hand them to special characters instead of generic Knights. I'm not counting high level catch in DD shenanigans here for obvious reasons.

Observationally, a lot of non-hardcore players have trouble using magic effectively in FFT, due to faith/charge times/zodiac compatability messing up the heals/buffs. But the best generic skillsets are largely magical, so this makes things way harder for them compared to veterans, especially prior to the game handing you Orlandu+Excalibur on a silver platter. This is part of why the Riovanes duel with Wiegraf causes so many difficulties; there's pretty much no halfway decent mage build that can't smite him easily enough (all the SCCs handle him just fine), but a lot of physical builds can't outslug him so either they need a specific Reaction ability or they have to resort to Yell spam or sometimes they're just stuck.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: June 30, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »
Duel!Wiegraf having Counter (on top of a shield!) was just an awful design decision, it makes it extremely difficult to win that fight with a melee Ramza unless you have a twinked Ninja or fall back on some weird strategies. And the game does make melee Ramza feel like the "natural" choice. "Become a fine knight, my son" and him holding a sword in cutscenes and all that, plus it's the fantasy default.

I was pretty fortunate that I made Ramza a Wizard/Summoner on my first playthrough, because a 70 Faith female-MA caster wrecks shit, but it's pretty easy to just blindly use a 55 faith male or something, and defensive magic and buffs have the additional problems hinode notes (bad internal zodiac, faith issues on both sides, CT is much more cumbersome for them than for offensive magic generally).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: June 30, 2015, 11:53:53 PM »
I remember I did that fight with a white mage build Ramaza. Holy is my main offence, and I tag on that reaction ability... what is it called? the one that heals you when you are near death?
I tweaked my hp to just be able to survive the Lightning Stab, so every attack I received ends up healing me instead.
Then I slaughtered the Velius afterward with a legion of short charge summoner spamming Lich and Sylph.
And I was like, "shit, this fight is this easy? just what went wrong in my past couple of tries?"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: July 01, 2015, 12:50:49 AM »
Funny thing: in my first FFT playthrough, I did AMAZING things like a Monk Ramza with Equip Armor and Wiegraf 3 utterly walled me for a while. I only beat Velius due to a lucky silence proc on Lightning Stab. Then, years later, I went back to FFT with a mage Ramza setup. I OHKOed Wiegraf with some summon or other. The split is really obscene.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 01, 2015, 01:13:06 AM »
Basically any RPG with complicated mechanics (= Not Fire Emblem) effectively becomes way too easy with good knowledge of the mechanics

FFT: I got my bard at the beginning of Chapter 3 then a dancer shortly after. The JP gains are ridiculous, the XP gains also are at least on the dancer. My goal is to have the bard become a mime and the dancer become a dark knight... Eventually...
Dance is really good right now. Sing isn't. Sing + dance is a bad combo, but I really really want the JP.

I tried to make my dancer into a ninja for Wiegraf 2. Her battle performance went like this: *miss* *miss* *Wiegraf counters and OHKO*

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 01, 2015, 01:18:16 AM »
It strikes me as hard for Ash to really get a high lead in a game like Vandal Hearts.  The weapon Triangle system alone seems like it'd immediately dick anyone who tried to focus heavily on one PC.  I also remember Ash being pretty average pre-Vandalier (wasn't he like a standard Sword-class who learned a handful of spells unique spells?)

I mean I guess it's possible, but strikes me as a game where it's far less likely to happen.  Contrast to something like Disgaea where early on it's possible for Laharl to steal a lot of kills and then he can just solo maps for pretty much 90% of the game. 

That said, the real reason super found Vandal Hearts so hard is basically stated in his post: He treated the game like most of us treat Fire Emblem.  He reset every-time someone died, adding an extra layer of difficulty, and I'll grant that it's very easy for someone to just get casually sniped and die in VH; luckily the game only penalizes you some cash when someone dies IIRC, and they're back on the next map.

Yeah the first time Super made the claim I replayed it while resetting after every death.

Still don't get it. Did he go all Guardsmen and turn all his healers and mages into monks or some shit? I even did things like making sure to meet Vandalier reqs and wiping out all enemies on the escape map, and this claim still doesn't compute.

Sure, difficult. More difficult than FFT though? Uh.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 01, 2015, 03:40:17 AM »
To me, the overall problem with FFT's balance is that you basically have to use self-imposed limitations or mods to make the game interesting after a playthrough or two (or even reading guides for that matter) since once you know about them there's no reason not to use Math Skill or Martial Arts Ninjas to murder everything, grinding requirement aside.  I mean, even just knowing that you can hire a 70 faith female character and make her a Wizard to do tons of damage early makes the game supremely easier.  So it's a 'hard' game for people new to it, but very easy once you have done research on the game.  I got a lot of replay value out of doing silly challenges, but after over a decade of hindsight, it's hard for me to say the game is well-balanced.  It feels really obtuse for new players but doesn't give veterans much of a challenge on its own. 

I dunno, this kinda statement is exactly what Fenrir was arguing against.  Yeah, there's some comparatively obscure ways to trivialize the game, but I don't even consider it much of a self-imposed limitation any more than, say, not getting Knights of the Round is a self-imposed limitation in FF7.  (Calculator I suspect was partially balanced around annoyingness to use + obscurity, too.)  There are lots of games that you can freaking LLG and still not be too difficult; while you can absolutely lose a person (and thus reset) even with a party of Ninjas & Summoners at normal level not skipping random encounters.  Not gonna hit the game too hard for Math Skill existing, especially when they took notable steps to balance it, e.g. making Calculator stats suuuuuck.  (And the fact that you can get around said limitations is cool in its own way too, balance isn't everything.)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 01, 2015, 04:00:31 AM »
Re: Calculator.  There's a lot to be said for making a game fun the first time around.  If balance utterly succumbs to perfect knowledge but the road to perfect knowledge is awesome, I'll take it.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 01, 2015, 04:08:25 AM »
Oh Fenrir one thing to note, if there is a class you want a lot of spillover JP from, you can probably equip another support skill on the dancer/bard because Spillover ignores JP Gain up.  So if you are like going for teleport and short charge you probably don't need that much excess on those two.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 01, 2015, 04:33:23 AM »
AK: Wow some of the Riddler stuff is terribad design this time. I always had trouble with the riddles that required you to find a specific piece of scenery and scan it, but now in the plot there are flowers raining from the goddamn sky and that doesn't help my pixel hunting at all you guys. But far more objectionable are the ones where you have to follow a trail of question marks using car sonar. This sounds straightforward, right? But it's so awkwardly executed for an idea that was dully simplistic in the first place: the game's really wonky about when the ?'s will appear, sometimes a pulse goes out and nothing happens but sometimes like four or five new ?'s will ping instead; that is obviously related to your position so you can't just jump to the end, but the game's so finicky about you creeping just a little too far ahead that I spend a fair amount of time watching multiple pulses go out before seeing more progress; the game is super eager to lose the trail altogether if you switch car modes or get out of the car at all mid-search, which you actually have to do for some of these, which brings us back to point B because you're trying to hurry back through shit you've already done after losing the trail once before; the final destination is a wall that the trail will ultimately highlight for you to blow up with the car's cannon, but you can't just go straight to the end and explode it, no sir, that's not a destructible wall until the neon green paint tells you it is. ARGH. And of course there's enforced slow movement the whole time. It's okay for Batman to move slowly and deliberately when he's snooping around doing actual detective work, but this is just idiotic, tedious, poorly implemented bullshit. So far as I can tell there's only like half a dozen of the riddles that actually use this style, but that's six too many.

By about 50% riddle completion I was officially at a point of So Fucking Done With This Game. At 75% we can't even think of a word that rhymes. Why am I still doing it? Don't ask stupid questions.

I guess some plot stuff happened today too, I fought Angry Kid in his scary super tank. Which was admittedly pretty tense, but still, tank battle, not the kind of showdown I'm looking for. Also it was broken up by the game's second round of Rotate Left Stick Until Your Thumb Falls Off While We Watch Batman Do Something Very Verrrrry (But Dramatically!) Slowly. I actually failed this segment the first time because I foolishly took a moment to rest my thumb and then as a consequence had to do it all over again. Why.

Arkham Knight isn't wholly without merit, but I think it's pretty squarely the worst entry in the series.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:36:39 AM by El Cideon »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 01, 2015, 04:33:50 AM »
To me, the overall problem with FFT's balance is that you basically have to use self-imposed limitations or mods to make the game interesting after a playthrough or two (or even reading guides for that matter) since once you know about them there's no reason not to use Math Skill or Martial Arts Ninjas to murder everything, grinding requirement aside.  I mean, even just knowing that you can hire a 70 faith female character and make her a Wizard to do tons of damage early makes the game supremely easier.  So it's a 'hard' game for people new to it, but very easy once you have done research on the game.  I got a lot of replay value out of doing silly challenges, but after over a decade of hindsight, it's hard for me to say the game is well-balanced.  It feels really obtuse for new players but doesn't give veterans much of a challenge on its own. 

I dunno, this kinda statement is exactly what Fenrir was arguing against.  Yeah, there's some comparatively obscure ways to trivialize the game, but I don't even consider it much of a self-imposed limitation any more than, say, not getting Knights of the Round is a self-imposed limitation in FF7.  (Calculator I suspect was partially balanced around annoyingness to use + obscurity, too.)  There are lots of games that you can freaking LLG and still not be too difficult; while you can absolutely lose a person (and thus reset) even with a party of Ninjas & Summoners at normal level not skipping random encounters.  Not gonna hit the game too hard for Math Skill existing, especially when they took notable steps to balance it, e.g. making Calculator stats suuuuuck.  (And the fact that you can get around said limitations is cool in its own way too, balance isn't everything.)

It's not just Calculator which trivialises the game, though. FFT is a game with a vast array of knowledge that can help the player, but once you have that knowledge not much is going to give you problems, provided you also have a good feel for SRPG-related specifics like positioning and setting up AoEs correctly (having watched many different people play FFT, not everyone does, though I suspect most people reading this thread do).

Consider, for instance, that the Chemist SCC, which is a severely restricted challenge run, is something that almost everyone finds easier than their first playthrough. By a lot. (Both the Execution Site and Wiegraf/Velius are jokes on the Chemist SCC.) Why? Because both Auto-Potion (with the knowledge of its ability to use higher-level potions) and Phoenix Down are overpowered. So is Teleport. So is Summon Magic (provided you have good faith). So is Draw Out on a Wizard. So is a Ninja twinked for power/speed with a good support ability. So is Short Charge Meteor/Bahamut. So is gravity against bosses. So are Angel Rings (and if you can get them, perfumes). So is (obviously) Math Skill.

If you're like jsh or hinode or myself, then yeah, once you have this knowledge, the game unrestricted becomes very easy. It's not just one overpowered thing you can avoid, like Math Skill or the Chantage. Now, this knowledge is not easy to come by, because FFT has a lot of abilities to sift through (some of which are hideously bad like Charge+20), and a lot of nuances to learn even to make good use of the broken stuff (e.g. how Teleport works, how Auto-Potion works, the importance of Brave/Faith to certain abilities), and a lot of specifics for various fights (e.g. good places to set your PCs up on the pre-battle formation for individual fights) but once you do? Yeah there's a reason you'll see comments like jsh's and hinode's. If I played a normal unrestricted file of FFT now I would not have a single reset anywhere, I guarantee it.

I say this as someone who respects the game as challenging myself (because games shouldn't be judged for challenge by those who have all the knowledge ahead of time, unless we want to argue every puzzle/text adventure game is trivial), but yeah knowledge makes a huge difference in every RPG and this is more true of FFT than most. As Fenrir noted there's a pretty stark difference between FFT and say Fire Emblem in this regard. I would expect FFT to be harder than most Fire Emblems for the average first-time player, but as someone who is an expert at both I could much, much more easily get through FFT with zero resets today than any Fire Emblem.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1763 on: July 01, 2015, 05:26:31 AM »
Arkham Knight isn't wholly without merit, but I think it's pretty squarely the worst entry in the series.

That's really fucking saying something because Arkham Origins was basically reheated leftovers.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 01, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »
Arkham Knight assumptions

Angry Kid = so they brought back Jason Todd in an Azrael looking suit. Also I know they redid fucking Killing Joke?

For a series that I was keen on the first game because it was bringing back Paul Dini and the voice cast from TAS?  Way to completely fuck up any potential that had.   Woooooo lets harken back to the shittiest parts of Batman from the Dark Age.  I LIKE killing joke as a one note beat in Barbra's story done by one damned author.  Everyone else rehashing it and completely ignoring decades of character dev specifically taking back both the Batgirl persona and Barbara Gordon just to be shittier than Alan Moore can fuck right off.

FFT stuff.  Knowledge in FFT != execution.  I fucking suck at FFT.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 01, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »

That's really fucking saying something because Arkham Origins was basically reheated leftovers.

The funny thing is that it's making Origins look better in retrospect. There was a definite been there done that feel to Origins, it certainly didn't have anything new to bring to the table, and prequels are as ever narratively unimpressive, but I'll at least credit it with having consistently decent boss fights (at least as much as Arkham City, though none of them were individually as good as Mr. Freeze) and a flair for presentation that's largely lacking here (Joker was the #1 element making Origins feel like a rehash, but damned if punching him out to the Carol of the Bells wasn't a memorable way to close the game).

Grefter: nah man Azrael wears Azrael's suit. Please. Otherwise spoilertext: Killing Joke is related through drug-induced flashback, and yes the purpose has nothing really to do with Barbara's own character and everything to do with making Batman feel guilty for failing his friends, which is a beat the game hits a lot and even its villains outright express as being their means of defeating him. Of course, the distinction is probably moot since someone else kills Barbara later anyway. I thought Asylum and City were both outstanding, but lack of Paul Dini involvement in the later two installments really leaves a painful deficit in quality storytelling.

My response to reading Killing Joke twenty years after the fact is pretty much in its entirety "That's it?" I generally like Alan Moore a lot when he's writing his own material, but it's a bit of a headscratcher why this little one-off should be considered a landmark Batman story aside from it just being dark and gritty in the eighties.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:47:38 PM by El Cideon »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 01, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
Final Fantasy What Kind Of Autobattle - After getting Comet, Dark Buster, Thundaga and Intimidate to R3, I beat Materia Keeper, who is actually kind of a doozy. Blind controls the first part of the battle pretty well, but his low HP phase is nasty as hell: Trine is a high MT 2HKO and he likes spamming it once it's at that point. His Mind stat's also so obscenely high that Paralyze isn't very useful, so Slow and Magic Break/Breakdown to the rescue. I'm never getting a mastery on him without Sephiroth, but quite frankly screw that. Also looks like I'll be able to craft Protectga for Jenova BIRTH, so let's see how this goes against its 193k HP.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 01, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
I say this as someone who respects the game as challenging myself (because games shouldn't be judged for challenge by those who have all the knowledge ahead of time, unless we want to argue every puzzle/text adventure game is trivial), but yeah knowledge makes a huge difference in every RPG and this is more true of FFT than most.

That right there is why since I played FF12 I have taken this "do not give me advice unless I ask for it!" approach for first playthroughs.  After seeing some people who I will respectfully keep anonymous go "this game is so easy!" when it's clearly not, when this person's method of playing through these games is basically "keep asking chat for advice ahead of time, set ups, etc." to the point where the chat is playing the game and he's just pressing the buttons.  It made me realize that I'd probably get more out of a game if I went in blind like the developers expect, which also gives a better sense of how well explained things are in the game.  I also won't FAQ something unless I'm legitimately stuck, or if it's a simple case of "how much of this game do I have left?" to help gauge how long it'll take me (the latter is basically done by looking at the table of contents and seeing what section I'm up to and how many I have left.  Yeah, not perfect, but it gives a good idea)

FF14 is the one exception here, which being an MMO, you're kind of expected to be social about the game and relay info and such, but when it comes to single player stuff?  I generally prefer to remain in the dark.

It also helps get a better sense of just how well polished (or not for that matter) a game is.  Atelier Iris, for example, I thought was well polished and documented when playing, then as the game went on it's clear it wasn't.  A prime example is a number of healing items can also revive, or so I was told, but the game doesn't distinguish them at all.  I don't think I've ever seen a game that offered item descriptions that didn't at least try to convey it revives from death.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1768 on: July 01, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
FFRK: Fuck yeah, I finally beat NORG and the Boss Rush! Woohoo~ Leviathan GET! He's my favorite summon. And conveniently has the highest damage mults outside of Odin from what I can tell, so hey, he might just see some use! Just gotta Growth Egg up the Summoner and Garnet can random sweep~

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 01, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
FFRK: Fuck yeah, I finally beat NORG and the Boss Rush! Woohoo~ Leviathan GET! He's my favorite summon. And conveniently has the highest damage mults outside of Odin from what I can tell, so hey, he might just see some use! Just gotta Growth Egg up the Summoner and Garnet can random sweep~

I'm planning on raising Summoner and White Mage for those materia, but only WM even -had- hers last I checked (maybe Summoner's MC will come up on the next batch of main game dungeons). Also, as I mentioned, the ability refill materias work on both ability slots -at once-, which means you could do mass sweeping twice per fight just with L1 Summons. Only problem is that's a -terrible- setup for bosses even if you have someone else slotted as your primary healer. The game's focus shift from physicals to magic has already begun, regardless.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: July 01, 2015, 03:02:04 PM »
IIRC the Summoner RM is two dungeon updates away, so it'll take a while.

Re: FFT knowledge in general, one of the big pieces of general knowledge is that the the ratios of move range and attack range are strongly skewed in favor of strong ranged attacks compared other SRPGs like Fire Emblem. Most characters have 3-4 base move and IIRC random enemies don't normally equip a lot of move boosting equips/abilities. Meanwhile, Holy is range 5, the basic elemental spells are range 4 with AoE, and summon magic are range 4 with larger AoE. With good faith and MA it's easy OHKO average enemies while staying out of most melee range and bypassing melee counters and p-evade. That's an insanely powerful package in general, one that really only optimized Ninjas and special characters w/ Knight Swords (of whom only Ramza and maybe Mel will even consider meleeing) can hope to compete with.

Tactics Ogre is the only other srpg I can think of off the top of my head where the basic movement/attack range numbers are so heavily skewed, and it is pretty well known as a game dominated by Archers. But this isn't something that's obvious at first glance, especially to people coming off regular RPGs or even from other SRPGs where meleers can close in on squishy ranged units much more easily and probably have a significant durability advantage compared to poor FFT Knights and co.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 01, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »
Final Fantasy Fear of Autobattle - Just beat Jenova BIRTH and HOLY CRAP those slugfesting stats. Jenova's got nearly 200k HP and can pretty much OHKO anyone's ass over doubleacting (hell, -one shot- of W-Laser overkilled Vivi because it ignores back row. That was a fast S/L) if you don't put your buffs up stat. Oh, and it has Tail Laser, which is MT. Good thing Sentinel Grimoire stacks with Protect and defensive debuffs stack with defensive buffs, so Lunatic High, Power Break and that to the rescue, reducing most of Jenova's offense to about a tenth of its original bite. Gas is still a big danger if you lack Shell/Magic Break (which I DID), though, mid-to-high magical 2HKO a pop. Jenova killed Garnet just a couple hits away from death, but I wouldn't have mastered the dungeon anyway so I took the victory as I could. In the end, it's not a terribly -complex- fight nor it has a lot of moving parts, but it can grind you out and its offense is scary as hell unmitigated. Good thing buffing and debuffing in this game is so horrifically good.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:56:26 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 01, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
Archers being broken in TO seems relatively obvious to me, I mean they just shoot from range and do more damage than your other characters and even have defense. Seems like a no brainer, especially in a game that severely punishes moving a little too far into enemy range.
The only obscure (but brilliant) part is knowing that you can shoot out of their range if it makes sense in game. (I really don't know why FFT didn't copy at least that part about TO archers, it would have been incredible)

FFT: I just think that breaking FFT often kind of gets in the way of getting more JP for fun abilities, so I cannot really do it.

There's a new, forced, battle against 6 behemoths/big behemoths/behemoth kings were you have to protect Luso, the FFTA2 main. He has Rafalike AI so if you don't heal/protect him right away he's dead.

I was totally anti hyped about all of this. Until Luso killed a behemoth with a physical and instantly poached it (!!!!) Yeah he has some poach strike. That's the passive ability of his main class (which is just ubersquire otherwise). I am never getting him out of this class. My bard's new goal is to give him enough spillover JP through Sing (thanks for the tip Gref BTW, I didn't know about that) to give him Equip Guns, so he can still be useful if I keep him on the bench.

So anyway after seeing that Luso could do this, I revived all the other behemoths I had killed so he could poach them all? With the loot I could buy some auto Float + auto Reflect perfumes. Nice.

RK: Forgive me for I have sinned and used S/L, but that's because I used all my intimidates on T-rex and it didn't even work once.

Sephiroth? I already have lvl 50 WM/BM/Summoner, so sure, eat all my eggs silver bishie I don't mind.
He's uh not really awesome or anything. He has the highest atk but he can't equip swords. He does way less damage than Cloud (obvs) unless you find a good katana (which are rare).  His skills are overall subpar. (especially compared to loud) He works well as a 5th character with my 5* dagger and Squall's materia but could be replaced by anyone.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 01, 2015, 11:36:15 PM »
Man, I use S/L like all the time. Way more efficient than wasting upwards of 70 stamina on a run that goes awry for no other reason than RNG.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 01, 2015, 11:58:05 PM »
Well yeah it's obviously more efficient
But it's like save state abuse

FFT: Wait poaching is actually really easy to use, I just never used it because it was in the same slot as Gain JP UP.
GTFO of my team, Ludo