Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194755 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #3450 on: September 30, 2015, 05:14:36 AM »
Tales of Xillia:

Rowen: This is my past with Nachtigal.  Things were going fine until the Sleepless Night.

Jude: Yes, I know all about that.  Allow me to explain what it is in detail so the player knows, which is literally the only reason I have for going into detail about this.

Rowen: And why can't I do it?

Jude: Because we have to establish that it's common knowledge among anyone educated in the history of this country, makes more sense that a regular med-school student like me does it as opposed to someone who clearly knows things no one else does.

Rowen: ...fair enough...

To be clear, I'm not knocking on Jude doing the explanation, despite how it felt a bit forced, because you need to establish what that event was SOMEHOW for the player, and there's not really any elegant way to handle it in a cutscene manner, so it's either do what ToX did (exposition) or do what something like FF13 or SO4 does with a datalog and force the player to find out on their own.  I will give the game credit for establishing that a major historical political event is relatively common knowledge, and that Jude isn't somehow oblivious to it because jRPG protagonists always are.  Again, I give credit to Jude for side-stepping a lot of cliches.  No, he's not the most well done character or anything, but I respect that we have a Tales protagonist who doesn't ride the waves of jRPG cliches until he saves the world.  I mean, he still does cliched stuff like "he's helping save the world because good guy" but to the game's credit, it's totally self aware about it by constantly having the game call him a "do-gooder" and him just kind of fessing up to it. 

Also, what's with the random Leia being all "I'm holding everyone back, I'm useless" moment?  This really felt like it came out of nowhere, and served no purpose.  I guess that's just Tales being tales.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: September 30, 2015, 05:52:35 AM »
Jude actually knowing history will actually lead to explaining something later on that seems odd.  Though it's hilarious that he sort of avoids why Rowen is really famous as The Conductor.

The Leia thing is incredibly easy to overlook because the game doesn't point it out whatsoever, but after every plot-mandated battle you've had with her, she's been clearly drained and struggling after.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: September 30, 2015, 09:24:41 AM »
FFRK - So the current banner reissued Terra's SSB weapon. I had 39 Mythril, and didn't want to waste Fire/Ice orb farming time getting the last 11 for an 11 pull, so I spend 15 on a 3 pull. Nada, but hey whatevs.

2 hours later the game tosses me a free 10 mythril gift.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: September 30, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
I didn't get the joke about politics either and assumed this was a cultural thing.
Lots of things I didn't get in general (about the tsundereplane, why is it a plane) but there were enough things I did get.

The guy who made Stanley Parable just announced a game that's going to be released... tomorrow. Very hyped, I hope my laptop can run it.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3454 on: September 30, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
Undertale: Finally beat True Pacifist run. Those last few fights are pretty challenging, I need to danmaku better. Story is full of warm-fuzzies with just an edge of indie horror game. I enjoyed it, though I can't see myself comparing every game that comes after as "good, but not quite Undertale". I'm looking forward to replaying it in Genocide mode though. Hopefully it'll be a little more RPG and a little less danmaku.

FFRK: Had to take a break from Dungeoneering for Black Power day so I could get Tempo Flurry upgraded. I love this skill and I might make a second one. Selphie now a permanent fixture in the party~
(I blame CapK)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: September 30, 2015, 02:47:22 PM »
Final Fantasy We Come From The Same Autobattle - Yeah, black power day is non-negotiable. Spent all day farming those orbs, grabbing four Greater Blacks and a Greater Power. From that, I maxed Dark, Launch and Drain Strike. If I want, I'll be able to max Drain as well once Friday kicks in. In the meantime, I also picked up Gordon, Arc and Donkey Kong Cecil RM2s. So, back to dungeon crawling, currently doing FF12 dungeons.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: September 30, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
I'm looking forward to replaying it in Genocide mode though. Hopefully it'll be a little more RPG and a little less danmaku.
This is such a weird sentiment to me.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: September 30, 2015, 05:16:53 PM »
Felt like making a relic pull at lunchtime with the free 5 mythril, just for the hell of it. Got Thyrus out of it.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3458 on: September 30, 2015, 05:21:11 PM »
I'm looking forward to replaying it in Genocide mode though. Hopefully it'll be a little more RPG and a little less danmaku.
This is such a weird sentiment to me.

Pacifism mode was kinda boring. I'm hoping that being evil will add some edge to the narrative.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: September 30, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »
Lots of things I didn't get in general (about the tsundereplane, why is it a plane)

Because the -ere part makes it sound like "airplane."  Just another silly pun.   ..... as far as I know!!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: September 30, 2015, 11:53:28 PM »
It's not really a cultural thing. It's just highlighting the absurdity of the situation by stating exactly what's going on, deriving its humor from making you realize that yes that is exactly what is happening and you were just kinda going with it. What a weirdo. 

Undertale -
First play through: Sans: "Here's some advice on fighting my brother, blah blah blah blah blah helpful advice."
Replay after genocide mode: Sans: "Here's some advice on fighting my brother. Don't. Capiche?"

I knew redemption mode was the right way to play. Honestly I do think a lot of people's criticisms of the game (aside from gameplay) come from playing pacifist mode first. And then making comments about how Hitler mode is completely unpalatable to them because how could they kill Papyrus? For Sans being pissy at you and then you shove it in his face by not killing Papyrus, that's how.

But man, I get why you wouldn't genocide through the first time. You miss out on the amazing Papyrus dating game. Actually, I feel like that's a general theme between the two modes. You miss out on anything that would resemble emotional resonance by being pacifist (I have a feeling that, in a vacuum, the fight against Undyne is going to end a lot less awesomely without her last desperate attempts to stop your rampage), causing the (neutral) ending to seem to come out of nowhere. But on the other hand, you miss out on a lot of hijinx by not not killing everything in sight.

I would also point out to Alex that the game definitely does not give up on its RPG pretensions in a neutral/FrueHitlar playthrough, but I can easily see where that's coming from on a pacifist playthrough.

Also I missed out on the Tsundere-plane pun because I was pronouncing it Tsun-deh-reh like some weeaboo piece of garbage
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:24:44 AM by Makkotah »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: October 01, 2015, 01:07:07 AM »
I missed the Tsundere-plane pun because I assumed it was just a weeaboo piece of garbage inclusion and didn't bother sounding it out.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3462 on: October 01, 2015, 03:18:12 AM »
Clearly best option is True Pacifist run for character attachment, Genocide for heartbreaking edgy grim dark horror feelings, then regular Pacifist for redemption and emotional resonance. Also you get try all variations of the game's attempts at being a danmaku and an RPG.

FFRK: God dammit Seymour Natus why do you vex me so?! Pro strats please, Snow. I used Carbuncle and that didn't go so well. Best him but lost mastery (and 4/5 of my PCs).
Flip side: yay five free Mythril because autumn apparently.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: October 01, 2015, 04:58:49 AM »
Carbuncle actually isn't a very good idea against Seymour Natus because Mortiorchis is so MT-centric. You want to Magic Breakdown both Seymour and the appendage, stack with Shellga and possibly Sentinel's Grimoire as well. Dispel is also an option against his Protect, which you probably -should- use with such a fighter-centric team. Runic is also a better option than Carby - however, it does -not- replace mitigation with buffs and debuffs due to Mortiorchis. It mostly neuters Natus' doublecasting and can extend one of your PC's resources. Past that, it's a straight slugfest. I mastered it on both Classic and Elite, since I wanted to beeline for Arc's Memory Crystal and yeah, went full mitigation and mage offense. You can get by via Advantaliate pretty well, since you have Loserface's SG, just don't skimp on damage control.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: October 01, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »
Hey DJ I have some sick advice for you.

mage offense

git gud scrub
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: October 01, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
Clearly best option is True Pacifist run for character attachment, Genocide for heartbreaking edgy grim dark horror feelings, then regular Pacifist for redemption and emotional resonance. Also you get try all variations of the game's attempts at being a danmaku and an RPG.

Well that would be quite completely missing or ignoring the whole point of the game.

I'd gladly ignore said point, but why would I engage more with a game that's telling me that I am literally a terrible person for doing this

Man I feel dumb about the tsundere plane pun

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: October 01, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
It probably should be a portmanteau if they want the delivery of the pun to work in text.  Tsundere-plane/Tsundereplane matches the same style as the cadence you need to do it verbally for it to match 'aeroplane'.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: October 01, 2015, 10:09:46 AM »
Undertale:
Beat demo, have about zero desire to continue game.

"Play the demo and find out"

Well, that doesn't actually sell me on anything. So, good work

EDIT:
Music in some parts is pretty OK though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:13:00 AM by Veryslightlymad »

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: October 01, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »

nah any pun that requires you to mispronounce words is real dumb to begin with
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3469 on: October 01, 2015, 11:28:09 AM »
The reference probably would have worked just as well if they'd spelled it "Tsundairplane".

Re: Snow on FFRK: Yeah, I was running a somewhat underleveled team for Experience. No SG, no Magic Break/down. Just Shellga and Carbuncle. Woefully undersold the MT offense from the leech. And since the damn leech kept reviving itself at low health, Advantaliate was useless since it auto-targets the lowest-health enemy. So I had to leave that thing at full health and couldn't use reflect because then Seymour would accidentally damage his own leech and I'd be back to wasting Advantaliate swings on it. So I had just Shellga for mitigation, one of my double-hitters on constant Curaga spam, and everyone else trying their damnedest to off Seymour before his DPS could completely overwhelm. My mage was also running Meteor and Quake, so I couldn't use -that- either or it'd fuck up Advantaliate's targeting again by slightly injuring that fucking Mortibody. The fact that I beat it at all with this team was basically luck. Just... not looking forward to wasting more stamina on it to get like... 4 orbs total.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: October 01, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
You will do it anyway, though. At this point, Greater Orbs are at such a premium. Heck, I honed Mental Breakdown to R3 thanks to those three Greater Ice Orbs from mastering Evrae Altana.

Final Fantasy Blind Among The Autobattles - Auron event lands tonight, yet I'm farming white power because I need to hone Berserk to a decent level. Berserk + Carbuncle hilariously spoils Defender X and that'll be useful both for the story dungeon with him and the event itself. I also have L50 Kimahri solely for the Biran/Yenke fight.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3471 on: October 01, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »
Undertale Genocide: Holy crap Sans. Yes, that took 30 resets. Yes it was awesome, but holy crap.

Anyway, apart from the two interesting fights that this route provides, the game's story really benefits from seeing just how -awful- you could be and seeing how the characters act under such a dire threat (also, it has 100% less Alphys, so it's awesome!). Still not a life-changing experience, but certainly memorable.

I think the game's heavy-handed message of "how dare you be callous to fictional characters in a fictional world" sort of misses its mark on me. I've never been able to self-insert with blank slate protagonists in video games, so instead of it coming off as the game chastising me for being callous, it actually just made me consider the possibility of a higher metabeing that might fuck around with our own world just out of boredom and -that- was kind of a scary thought. Not the first time I'd had it, but it had been a while since I'd considered the possibility in the context of the real world as being a game to the bored metabeing. So instead of feeling callous, I felt more empathetic? Just a different way of viewing the same message I suppose.

Less thematically, what the hell IS Player/Frisk? Genocide path keeps alluding to his/her not -really- being human in that vague *wink wink nudge nudge there's more to this so figure it out on your own or by scouring the internet* way.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: October 01, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »
Re: Undertale's RPGness:  Nah, can't buy it.  I know RPG is a loose definition, and you all are getting consumed by Record "Autobattle" Keeper, but still.  RPGs, even Dragon Warrior, tend to have you make a few decisions about how to fight encounters, and have stats and equipment be important ish.  Undertale, even in Genocide Mode, does not.  Every encounter is "Press Fight for X turns, maybe heal when your HP is low" and that's it.  Not just figuratively it, like an easy RPG, but literally it, there is nothing else.  No other battle commands that matter when Fighting, no other PCs, no usable items except healing, maybe one equipment choice ever, no stats but HP/attack/defense and nothing you do really alters them.  The only actual gameplay to be had is shmup-style dodging for survival.  We're not talking "Tales of is sort of like a fighting game" here, there is not any RPG to be had at all, at least in my mental book.

Anyway tonight I also fired up...

We Know The Devil

Hail Satan. 

Before talking about the game, I have to talk about the site, because you have to deal with the site before playing the game.  Paying over 5 dollars for an online only VN on a sketchy looking website is a tough sell.  I make poor life decisions in the name of media, especially when friends hype things at me really hard, but I almost didn't in this case and can't say I would expect anyone else around here to do so.  That sucks a lot, because this game is really good and I'd love to hear reactions to it from people who aren't already heavily invested in the "online queer literature" culture.  But those people (and nuts like me) are likely the only ones who are going to be willing to get their credit card info stolen in order to play this.  Oh well.

So the premise here is we have three teens at a religious summer camp.  They're friends, or something like that, or at least they're grouped together for the time being and engage in interactions with each other.  Venus is a shy, quiet boy who apologizes for everything and appears incredibly nice and gullible.  Jupiter is The Good Girl at the top of all the charts for sports and activities and leadership and generally being role model ish.  And Neptune is there to provide the requisite doses of dour, biting sarcasm and flipping the bird to the rules and the man.  They interact with each other, but, as is the way of most human interaction, in a group of three, two are closer and a third is left out.  The player gets to choose the exact dynamics of the three over the course of the evening.

So there are some humorous camp antics, some Truth or Dare... and then it turns out that in this setting, God exists, not just as a theological concept but constantly speaking to His followers on the almighty Radio at 109.8 FM.  And the Devil likewise exists, tempting the darkness in people's hearts.  And this summer camp is a nicely controlled environment for kids who weren't judged righteous enough to be with their normal peers, with barbed wire and sirens for everyone's safety.  As they say, "the price two friends must pay is the third."  Someone's getting possessed tonight (hint: you already know the devil, it's whoever you left out the most) and there'll be a bit of a party, maybe a nice game of Splattergories or Cranium 2: Extraction.

The game sinks or swims on the back of the trio's character writing.  I have to be a little vague because there isn't a good way to talk about the characters without spoiling huge chunks of development, but my verdict is that it swims, and swims very well at that.  All three are extremely interesting and deeply developed, even in the game's short timeframe.  It's beautiful to me as a writer to see how well and how quickly a few precise sentences in each scene convey such emotional depth. 

Now, as a timely interjection, Undertale did something similar to this with economy of characterization.  But not the same.  Undertale is more of a surreal, lighthearted fantasy world where everyone is nice and more or less gets along.  There's no real conflict at hand, except for a couple of the the final boss characters.  We Know The Devil goes in the extreme opposite direction - these teens are MADE of conflict, brimming with it just under their smiling facades.  They hate the world, each other, and themselves, and have plenty of reasons for each.  Not only that, they have the very literal specter of religion looming over them, and the absolutely certain knowledge that tonight, one of them will face final judgment as A Bad Person and won't be coming back to breakfast (or worse, maybe with a side helping of killing their former friends.)  And each one of them is wondering, the whole time, "is it me?"

As usual for psychological horror type stuff, it's not going to hit home for everyone, no matter how great the characters are.  But wow, does it ever hit me.  I grew up on a strict activity diet of Church Stuff and Boy Scouts, including lots of summer camp, and the trueness to life here is just incredible.  The earnest but inept bonfire captain with his awful guitar and self-serving platitudes!  420 noscope sicknasty burns like "Don't you even read Lewis?"!  The cabins that fall apart if you touch them but nobody cares!  The only thing that doesn't ring completely true is that the characters have brain cells.  I can only wish there were people half as interesting as these three at any camp I ever went to. 

Oh, yeah, also the issues and character dynamics.  Those are pretty real too, at least for certain facets of each character, and they do a very good job of explaining the ones that aren't personally relatable.  This is the real meat of the game, and yet I can't say too much about it except deeply sympathizing with all three when all's said and done.  I thought Venus would be left out on my first run, but it wound up being Jupiter, because I had ignored her one too many times thinking she was fine on her own... which is exactly the point, isn't it?  Oops.  Venus' devil ending did turn out to be the least compelling to me, though.  It's a little one-note and hard to link to the rest of his character.

After seeing the individual endings, you can unlock a fourth ending where you juggle all three characters (take notes...) and go full Hail Satan.  It feels cathartic, but less individually intense than the other endings, a bit too creepy-saccharine and predictable for me even though its existence is thematically important.  Really a blend of everything would be best.

I wish everything I read had writing this good.  And, heck, friends like this in the real world wouldn't be that bad either.  Could do without God Radio, though.  The music there is not nearly as good as the awesome WKTD soundtrack.  Maximum Hail Satan!

----

back to Undertale stuff in new posts since writing that took a while.  Less Alphys =/= more awesome!   ] : (
You are a player, a metabeing who exists in a different universe.  Seems like you did get the message, Djinn?  Agreement on the two unique fights as "what ifs" being the useful part of that mode. 

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: October 01, 2015, 09:13:21 PM »

nah any pun that requires you to mispronounce words is real dumb to begin with

It's exchanges like this that make me wary of playing the game. Nothing I've seen or heard so far seems like humor I'd appreciate (and fourth-wall breaking is just no stop).

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3474 on: October 02, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »
For what it's worth, I don't think Undertale is some kind of 'must-play' game, but it was short and certainly interesting enough that it was worth playing for our little RPG book club discussions.