Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194714 times)

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #3350 on: September 24, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »
Oh yeah, JP FFRK just got -this- alongside 50 Mythril and a FFV 5* Excalibur in their item chests today: http://youtu.be/3PsC2KDe_rQ

Ultros summon, bitches.

That sword handout wasn't exactly an Excalibur...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: September 24, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
Oh, it was the Excalipoor, right. Excalibur is the Bartz SSB weapon.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: September 24, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
Captain K:

Zenny introduces you to Fenrir Rk and gets three damascus shards.

The beginning of the game is a breeze for you because you got a Der Erdrutsch from your first pull. I think they've made the first relic you get way better, Zenny got a mere Metal Sai when he started playing? Zenny loudly complains that they're making it too easy for beginners.

You give der Erdrutsch to Ahmed and the whole earlygame crumbles before you. You get a ton of damascus shards but decide to wait before using them, because you know that seven banners from now, Leonidas' amazing Dual Glasses are going to be featured and you definitely need all the shards for them, dude.

You still spend one Realbux and get a Blue Shirt. Could be worse you guess.

With your real money I buy a small bottle of mineral water.
I want to buy ice cream so I introduce a new system: Spend 5 realbux, get 5 random ikea items, available once per player for a limited time. You are very tempted but ultimately decide not to do it. I curse loudly.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:25:50 PM by Fenrir »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: September 24, 2015, 05:24:20 PM »
Ugh I don't have enough orbs to hone with.  Can't wait for Mango Power day.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: September 24, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »
Fenrir Fantasy The Magnetic Autobattles best Fenrir Fantasy.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: September 24, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »
You should skip Mango Power day and progress through the event before it's over; with Ahmed equipped with Der Erdrutsch you're all set for Groinkick-meta anyway

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: September 24, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »
Ultros was the result of a celebration poll for a new summon. He won by a landslide, both for gameplay and Ultros reasons.

Well, it doesn't help that the other options weren't the most exciting.  Behemoth is a generic FF Monster that while a mainstay, isn't the most exciting thing to summon.  Phantom Train we've seen before in FF8, and it's way more interesting as a boss for all the silliest reasons than it was as a summon, and Mom Bomb...seriously, don't know they could pretend people cared about that.

also "landslide" is putting it lightly.  He had more than double the other 3 combined.  He slaughtered the competition, then dropped their corpses into a volcano, then proceeded to drop nukes into said volcano.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: September 24, 2015, 06:35:29 PM »
Pretty sure the last few posts here have been a stroke warning.

Dusty: An Elysian Tail - Trying to work out if my issues with the controls are the game or my controller. Been having some trouble platforming.

That said, still having fun. The second real bossish fight in the game (the trolls + exploding mushrooms) was pretty bullshit, though. Not sure I was just too sleepy or something, but I seriously could not handle it. Plot is going. Amnesia is eh, but I kinda appreciate that they are giving the answer to the player pretty quick.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3358 on: September 24, 2015, 09:04:02 PM »
I'm kind of surprised it took until Record Keeper for this to happen, considering Typhon was made a summon back in FF7.

It took me like seven years to realize he was supposed to be Chupon. 

e:  I knew they were somehow related but I thought they were brothers because their names were similar but he didn't sneeze people away so clearly not the same guy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:06:27 PM by Anthony Edward Stark »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: September 24, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »
also "landslide" is putting it lightly.  He had more than double the other 3 combined.  He slaughtered the competition, then dropped their corpses into a volcano, then proceeded to drop nukes into said volcano.

Ultros is Xenu?! ( http://www.solitarytrees.net/pickets/elrond/21coset.htm )

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: September 24, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
Been hacking at The Last Story. Its gameplay continues to vary between braindead easy and frustrating, but its character work all around is pretty solid and the music is nice. I think I'm around 80% done with the game now, my island has been infiltrated by Gurak, crabs, and the undead. Great.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: September 25, 2015, 12:17:44 AM »
Undertale: Finished a super pacifism playthrough.

I think most people here would really enjoy this game. As for me, while I have to salute the game's innovation / early parts / few reveals (also, Gourry was right about the Papyrus fight not being the best part), I really disliked the last two hours or so (especially in retrospect) so much that I don't want to go back to it. This involves huge spoilers. Also Gourry will now think that I'm a huge emotionless jerk, but seriously I'm not guys.

- The weak points of the game earlygame were for me a lack of control given to the player, a strong reliance on plot fights, and a tendency to go overboard with the saccharine elements.
Well this is amplified tenfold in the last stretch, with like three power of friendship moments, and every attack being gravity based so that you can almost never die. You need a hell of a lot of emotional resonance to get me to go non-relunctantly through something like that, and this game didn't have enough; while Alphys is the only one of the core six friends I disliked, Papyrus was the only one I really cared strongly about. (Because I kept calling him the entire game) Ok, Toriel was cool too.

- Ultimately, while the savestate / loadstate thing was rad as fuck (as was this entire fight) here we have a game that sends a message that there is something wrong with you if you do not care vicariously about your videogame characters.

The flower basically is a videogame player who's bored and just goes kill everything in its videogame, and it's the antagonist of the story. He abuses savestats mid battle to get advantages, he plays with saves and toys with the idea of restarting the game, etc. The reason it's being so evil here is that it is bored. You convince it that it is not very nice and it turns good after a while.

If you restart the game after getting the good ending, the flower-turned-good tells the player of Undertale, directly, that all the characters are happy now and playing the game again would make them unhappy again.

This whole thing is at the core of the storyline.

Two problems with this.

1) Jesus Christ, that infantilizating guilt trip! Stop attaching such emotional baggage to fake things. Toy Story has the same problem (Always keep all your toys your entire life or they will be super sad), Undertale might be even more dumb about it because we are not even talking about physical things. (It might actually be better because carrying your toys around your entire life must be a real burden)

2) This is a terribly judgemental and conservative way of thinking. I like going Renegade in Mass Effect and punching journalists. I like being a huge jerk in games because I'd never act like that in real life and want to test the game's boundaries. This does not mean that there is something wrong with me. Surely this is an argument we're all tired of by now. I took the whole thing pretty personally (like I was supposed to) and I'm not even one of those guys who kills bystanders in GTA

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3362 on: September 25, 2015, 02:23:42 AM »
Fenrir Record Keeper: I decided to start playing this. Everyone give me your friend codes!

FFRK: Putting events on hold to farm Power Orbs so I can hone Tempo Flurry for my Thancred/Selphie/Fran Advantaliate needs~

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: September 25, 2015, 02:56:07 AM »
Final Fantasy She Bangs The Autobattles - Three dungeons left to finish Zack's event until the bonus fights, I got Zack cap-broken and all. FF7 events are so damned lazy it's almost impressive. Also mastered all the bonus battles on the FF14 event. The event quests won't be fun, though. Ifrit was a pain in the ass with four PCs, it'll only get worse with one less offense source. I may end up resorting to Red XIII and Lunatic High in order to mitigate the damage Vulcan Burst can do.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:03 AM »
While you guys were busy playing record keeper on your phones I was engaged in the much more meaningful activity of playing iphone rhythm games.  Specifically Love Live.  Anyway I full combo'd this song and I need to brag about it to someone because it was pretty hard, so yeah.  Go me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvgtDerh2wU

(that's not me playin' but you can just pretend it is and that all the text is in English)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:12:51 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: September 25, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
Undertale: Finished a super pacifism playthrough.

I think most people here would really enjoy this game. As for me, while I have to salute the game's innovation / early parts / few reveals (also, Gourry was right about the Papyrus fight not being the best part), I really disliked the last two hours or so (especially in retrospect) so much that I don't want to go back to it. This involves huge spoilers. Also Gourry will now think that I'm a huge emotionless jerk, but seriously I'm not guys.

- The weak points of the game earlygame were for me a lack of control given to the player, a strong reliance on plot fights, and a tendency to go overboard with the saccharine elements.
Well this is amplified tenfold in the last stretch, with like three power of friendship moments, and every attack being gravity based so that you can almost never die. You need a hell of a lot of emotional resonance to get me to go non-relunctantly through something like that, and this game didn't have enough; while Alphys is the only one of the core six friends I disliked, Papyrus was the only one I really cared strongly about. (Because I kept calling him the entire game) Ok, Toriel was cool too.

- Ultimately, while the savestate / loadstate thing was rad as fuck (as was this entire fight) here we have a game that sends a message that there is something wrong with you if you do not care vicariously about your videogame characters.

The flower basically is a videogame player who's bored and just goes kill everything in its videogame, and it's the antagonist of the story. He abuses savestats mid battle to get advantages, he plays with saves and toys with the idea of restarting the game, etc. The reason it's being so evil here is that it is bored. You convince it that it is not very nice and it turns good after a while.

If you restart the game after getting the good ending, the flower-turned-good tells the player of Undertale, directly, that all the characters are happy now and playing the game again would make them unhappy again.

This whole thing is at the core of the storyline.

Two problems with this.

1) Jesus Christ, that infantilizating guilt trip! Stop attaching such emotional baggage to fake things. Toy Story has the same problem (Always keep all your toys your entire life or they will be super sad), Undertale might be even more dumb about it because we are not even talking about physical things. (It might actually be better because carrying your toys around your entire life must be a real burden)

2) This is a terribly judgemental and conservative way of thinking. I like going Renegade in Mass Effect and punching journalists. I like being a huge jerk in games because I'd never act like that in real life and want to test the game's boundaries. This does not mean that there is something wrong with me. Surely this is an argument we're all tired of by now. I took the whole thing pretty personally (like I was supposed to) and I'm not even one of those guys who kills bystanders in GTA

I wonder how your reaction would have changed if you went in blind like I did and didn't actually do pacifism first. That changed the tenor of my second playthrough for sure. As is, I can see your viewpoint but don't necessarily agree on everything.

So I actually see little problem with people getting attached to characters, that's a whole staple behind what makes good fiction work, in books, games, movies, tv, whatever. Like you, I quite like Papyrus and I also liked Sans and Toriel, who I killed first playthrough which I felt bad about. I actually liked Undyne after that ridiculous date (although somehow my estimation of Papyrus went up more in that scene), and while the friendship blah blah Giygas whatever fight at the end was too much, I don't see a problem with people coming away from the end of the game with some attachment to the characters. It's that kind of attachment that made the first season of the Walking Dead games work so well for me. I think an argument could be made that the situations the characters are put in to elicit emotional reactions are emotionally manipulative, though.

The game's writing is very on the nose and that is a big fault, but I think the basic thing it's doing is actually giving meaningful consequences to choice that people always clamor for. We like to do goofy shit, choosing renegade options and pushing the limits to see what we can do in a game, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. However, I think this is a different type of experience where it is trying to simulate a closed system (of course it's not truly closed) where you do something and characters react to it, positive or negative, and you can't go back and reload these choices because in this system, your choices are meaningful and have permanence. You kill an NPC, it obviously won't appear in town. You kill a major character, that has reverberations throughout the world and in how people treat you. I thought that was cool, and it points out that one thing that could constrain your behaviors was a sense that your choices would actually be reflected by the game world, which I find fascinating from a psychological standpoint. It's pointing out that this is a world where how you act matters, and some of the "gamey" behaviors we engage in can have consequences that can be emotionally affecting if there's no way to back out of them. Of course none of it is real and they are just abstractions, so maybe this is all silly sounding but I do think it is cool if the game gets you to hesitate and readjust in the situation it has set up. These choices are not at all nuanced, though, and that is a problem.

While I do think the writing didn't have to lay it on so thick sometimes (and oh man it does), I just didn't have the same reaction to it as you in terms of feeling guilted. I can easily see where you're coming from, though. Within the world setup, it does have a very simplistic morality and the No Mercy path is set up solely to make you feel fucking terrible. The weird thing is that I probably would find this level of moralizing unbearable if it were in a film, like I couldn't stand Funny Games.

Man a lot of that sounds sappy.

There is one awesome fight on a genocide run if you decide to ever go back.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:54:25 AM by The Duck »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: September 25, 2015, 05:55:08 AM »
RK - Wowie Zowie free Mythril and Excalipoor. So happy. Saving the mythril for the next event because the chances of getting something redundant from the current banners are pretty high. I guess a third rod would be nice though. We'll see.

Farmed enough orbs to R2 Valefor when I get the summon orbs for it. Sephiroth is already at the level cap, so I should be able to use him, Gilgy, Terra, Yuna, and Lenna to get Yuna's MC2 crystal. Then farm farm farm until I am gorged on Orbs and shiny and chrome and awaited in Autobalhalla.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: September 25, 2015, 06:17:01 AM »
Fenrir Record Keeper: I decided to start playing this. Everyone give me your friend codes!

My friend code is pOuf but my RW is just a level 1 Davide with Schlep soul break.  Too lazy to change it.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: September 25, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »
Rivals of Aether - So I bought this for myself and a friend on Steam.  It's something of a pixellated smash clone, but it's also a lot of fun.

I was having fun playing on random, while my friend was selecting specific characters.  Things were going fine - he got a few wins, I won most of them...  And then a thing happened that prompted me to write this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/383980/discussions/0/523898291496683339/

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: September 25, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »
Didn't you get Anita's unique SB? Set that as your RW for thousands of $$$. Nobody has it, and you can use both it and Davide's cooking skills for basically 10% MT healing regen every turn. OP as fuck.
Djinn, oh shit, you got the False Spear, Silver Scarf, and Le Crime Parfait in only one pull? Still no bard weapon though. I don't know how you'll perform lategame without a bard weapon...

Gourry I'll probably answer later but now I'm super late for work. I can definitely see where you're coming from though. (I did go blind into the game though)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:10:48 AM by Fenrir »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: September 25, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
RK - Like after I post that they come out with a SSB banner, I roll the dice and I get Aeris' SSB that MT restores and adds Reraise.

At this point I'm going to be using nothing but White Mages. I have a bit of story missions to go through before I can unlock her but yeah that is a thing.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: September 25, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: September 25, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »
Undertale - Playing blind, going full-blown bastard (well, not really. I'm half-assing it, so I guess half-assed bastard), including taking advantage of some things I knew from playing the demo like getting to the point where you can spare Toriel, then one shotting her when her guard's down. Malicious. That was admittedly really hard, though. I like Toriel, a lot. (Revision: Not as hard as killing Papyrus. ;_;) I figure this will be the least repetitive way to play, since NPCs get taken away as you butcher them. I'm also less interested in the replay changes that come from going good then evil on a replay than I am in seeing what happens if you play through as a bastard once, and a nice guy the second time around. 

Got to the save point with the crystalized cheese, after the first Undyne encounter. The Papyrus boss fight was amazing as advertised. Though I'm already pretty concerned that what I loved about the demo may be just not that accessible in a game much longer than the demo. I'm just not seeing it come into play at ALL yet, and by the time someone DOES replay it to see the fact that the game responds to the decisions you made in previous playthroughs they may already be put off by the game (ala Fenrir) or just not hooked enough to do so.  Ughhhh, that was like *THE* fucking thing that made the demo great, too. Without it, so far it's certainly solid but not really that amazing. I really hope that it comes into play somehow on the first playthrough to at least give the player a hint that they *really really really really really really* should be replaying it to see what the game does with replays, save scumming, regret, playing just to see content... all of it!

At least based off the demo, of course.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3373 on: September 25, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
Djinn, oh shit, you got the False Spear, Silver Scarf, and Le Crime Parfait in only one pull? Still no bard weapon though. I don't know how you'll perform lategame without a bard weapon...

God, it's psychologically painful even when it's not real...

FFRK: Wasted a bunch of Stamina today by -just- missing mastery on not one, not two, but -three- different elites. Now I have to do them all over again. What an unproductive day. Stupid FF14 bossrush and its stupid 'must use Slow on Imps' requirement...

Undertale: Started playing this because everyone was talking about it both -here- and among my co-workers, so this is an interesting cross-section of my life. Full pacifism mode because I am the anti-Zenny. (And because it would make Toriel happy.) Quite enjoying the humor so far. I hope Papyrus joins my party.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: September 25, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »
I don't know if that's the anti-Zenny. I've had to resist the urge to go back and play pacifist more times than I have fingers. They filled the post-demo section with cute puppies for that very reason, no doubt about it. ;_;