Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194752 times)

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2700 on: August 22, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
My only comment on the "zany" debate is to echo something Meeple's said in the past: compare FF4 original to FF4 DS.  FF4 DS tries to present every scene from the original game faithfully in 3D.  Sometimes this works, and sometimes it's patently ridiculous like when Golbez whips his cape around Rosa and she magically vanishes because that's what happened when they used sprites.

So yeah, I do think actually that the transition to 3D and quasi-realistic graphics does limit this sort of thing.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: August 22, 2015, 10:38:35 PM »
But I do agree with Djinn otherwise that a zany purple octopus deciding to make a mess out of an opera is not particularly anime- or Japan-specific.

You know I was thinking the same thing but the more I think about that scene the more it reminds me of Slayers.  So I guess it is kind of anime or something?  But the similarity isn't about the stuff in anime that annoys people, so whatev.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2702 on: August 23, 2015, 01:00:07 AM »
So yeah, I do think actually that the transition to 3D and quasi-realistic graphics does limit this sort of thing.

Well, now that they brought voice acting into the mix, we can no longer give them the benefit of the doubt that the character knows this line they are saying is terrible, so it's really like swapping one problem for another.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: August 23, 2015, 01:48:31 AM »
Personally I'm not really willing to give bad lines in text that sort of benefit of the doubt.

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies - Finished. Hmm, overall I'm not sure this game holds up quiite as well the second time through as some of the others? In that, when you know the spoilers, it's a bit more transparent what the contortions are which the plot is going through to reveal things in a certain way for maximum drama. (Speaking of drama, the third case has way too much.) That said the final case and DLC case are both still excellent, and the cast is still terrific.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Beat the game, then collected the two cacklebats I'd missed and beat it again to get the full ending. Final boss of the true ending is pretty brutal if you aren't spamming items, definitely a bit of a spike over the rest of the game (although Dargon gave me some trouble too). Spent about 12 hours on the game which certainly made the game more than worth its suggested price, never mind that we got it for silly cheap due to a sale.

Anyway, this was fun! The game's writing is a light-hearted romp but generally managed to stay quite enjoyable. It's not on the level of Mana Khemia 2 as far as comedy games go but it's certainly good enough to grease along the solid gameplay. Speaking of said gameplay, it's a pretty fun Metroidvania type, definitely more like Castlevania than is is Metroid. The base gameplay is rather plain (certainly nothing on the level of all the cool gylphs from Order of Ecclesia) but the items you gain that let you platform better work pretty well, giving you a pretty fun and varied skillset. There's a bunch of pretty fun stage design especially once you get your hands on more stuff, and it's always enjoyable to take your new powerups and revisit old areas, now with the ability to get through them more effectively and find more treasure. Boss fights and enemy design is generally only okay, but good enough to support the game.

There are some nagging times when it feels like the game doesn't really introduce concepts as well as it could. I was a bit stumped that there are certain platforms you can attack to flip, since the game doesn't really do a wonderful job of introducing this concept to you, for instance. And at least one other occasion where I felt things weren't intuitive enough. This is mostly obvious playing the game right after Shovel Knight, which felt like it had an excellent eye for such things (also reading up on old platformers and seeing the good things some of them did). It's not the end of the world, the internet exists for help at worst (although notably Shantae doesn't actually have any good FAQs, so I had to dig a bit more). I probably wouldn't even mention this if I weren't kinda actively looking out for it.

Overall the game isn't really exceptional, but still quite enjoyable. The game's solid gameplay and level of writing put it above all non-OoE Castlevanias to me, and probably pretty comparable to Rayman Origins and Shovel Knight. So something close to that same 8/10 region.

Star Ocean 3 - Haven't played this in a decade, so decided to start it up again.

1) Discovered that you need a file with battle trophies to play on harder difficulties. Which of course, neither Ciato or I had because those things eat a sixth of a memory card. fffffff
2) The opening is still terrible, Tri-Ace why you so bad at this.

I'm sure this decision to replay the game will pay off eventually!

Fire Emblem 8 - Also randomly started replaying this, no real goals in mind.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: August 23, 2015, 02:28:46 AM »
Personally I'm not really willing to give bad lines in text that sort of benefit of the doubt.

I'm thinking of stuff like Yuffie's use of "gawd," which is usually obnoxious, and could be meant to be comedic but it could also just be the game's love of writing everyone's dialogue phonetically and they think that's just how she should talk.  Or basically every line out of Zell's mouth, which can generally be taken as a joke, or that this character is just the most obnoxious person in the world.  Or both, I guess.  They're not mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 02:31:38 AM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: August 23, 2015, 03:28:09 AM »
With Zel it is definitely both.

I dunno about others, but for me "anime as fuck" in this discussion is less the plot/character tropes ala Tales and much more things like big overly expressive animation and dialogue (and melodrama I guess?).  Stuff that was really necessary with sprites and a tiny amount of raw text as your only way of conveying a message.

With full VA and decent 3D models you get stuff like FFX laughing scene, which even with better delivered VA would still come off as pretty painful (in my opinion), so much stuff in there is so on the nose and it just goes on so long to convey a feeling to the player that Yuna is pushing "Fake it until you make it" and the fact that this is telling you that underneath it all there is a bit more going on.  It isn't that the plot is bad or anything it actually dodges a fair few tropes (like a sympathetic stepford wife protaganist maybe?  I dunno), but the presentation is still "anime as fuck".
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: August 23, 2015, 05:29:10 AM »
I always took Yuffie's use of "gawd" as an attempt to invoke a stereotypical ditzy teen girl, which is definitely part of Yuffie's personality (or facade thereof?).

I also take a rather different definition of "anime as fuck" than Grefter, but obviously such things aren't precisely an exact science.

Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: August 23, 2015, 06:49:29 AM »
I also take a rather different definition of "anime as fuck"

we um could just NOT bother figuring this out, you know.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: August 23, 2015, 07:14:14 AM »
Yeah OK maybe Anime As Fuck isn't really a good term for it. However, I would say Ultros fits more in line with something that'd show up in Excel Saga or FLCL than it does showing up in an western kids cartoon.

I will also say that this is the least interesting semantics argument we could possibly be having.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2709 on: August 23, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »
Second least.  We could be discussing the definition of an RPG.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2710 on: August 23, 2015, 08:38:40 AM »
Yeah OK maybe Anime As Fuck isn't really a good term for it. However, I would say Ultros fits more in line with something that'd show up in Excel Saga or FLCL than it does showing up in an western kids cartoon.

I will also say that this is the least interesting semantics argument we could possibly be having.

We wouldn't be having it if people would stop using it as if it had a dictionary definition. Especially considering that it's used to collectively dismiss an entire culture's animation, and usually by extension, the culture itself and comes off as mildly racist. That's the part that bothers me, more than people disliking common tropes.

I think you're confused.

Tentacle Rape is the stupidest anime thing ever.

Making fun of tentacle rape is basically the opposite.

Well. By that logic Disgaea becomes the Anti-Anime because it mentions a lot of anime tropes in a joking manner.
It isn't. It is the Uber-Anime.

this kind of vague tentacle rape joke is not making fun of tentacle rape, it is a *wink wink* at the "terrible otaku" audience

Disgaea isn't Uber-Anime because it makes fun of anime tropes, it's Uber-Anime because it plays all the ones it -doesn't- make fun of completely straight. The ones it rags on are usually handily avoided and still one of the highlights of the series.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: August 23, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »
If dismissing anime is borderline racist then Sieg Heil and sign me the fuck up.  Even Miyazaki hates you people.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:47:37 AM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: August 23, 2015, 09:22:51 AM »
blahblahblahblah

Watch me be super butthurt and defensive about a hobby of mine.

Christ dude do you listen to yourself sometimes
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:24:57 AM by Makkotah »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2713 on: August 23, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »
I am -shocked- that Rob and Zenny disagree with me about this!

Edit: Anime isn't even a hobby of mine. I haven't watched it outside of shit for my schools or Miyazaki in years. I am definitely first in line to call out when anime does dumb shit or gets gross or pedophilic or pandering or xenophobic. I'm not saying that everything about otaku culture is some awesome thing to worship and is beyond criticism. I'm against dismissal of an entire medium just because it makes for a quick pithy comment. Especially since I see it used -a lot- in cases where the critique is more aimed at Japanese culture as whole and not just anime or otaku culture. Though I am obviously not extending that directly to anyone here. I don't think anyone here is being racist. Sorry if it came off as that kind of accusation; I guess it just bugs me when the same language is used here as I see in places where it does apply. Especially when it's stated like fact as if it's some kind of argument-winner for why something is -bad-.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:03:45 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: August 23, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
Bad things are bad, now everyone stfu and start talking about RK again.

FF Portal:  Oh wait I'm not talking about RK either.  So this is a free mobile app that is basically advertising for the 1 billion FF-related things that SE is pushing out.  But it comes with free Triple Triad and (for a limited time) free FF1.

Triple Triad:  Beat all the solo mode chars.  Played one game of online which I won.  Took 10 minutes to connect to that game and 30 minutes to not connect to anymore afterwards.  Yay online games.

FF1:  Oh god touchscreen controls so painful.  I guess this is Dawn of Souls?  idk never played that version.  Rolling with Thief, Monk, Red Mage, Black Mage.  Game seems a little easy compared to NES FF1 so far.  MP pools definitely help.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: August 23, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »
If you have MP, it's based on the Dawn of Souls versions.  That seems to be the only version they acknowledge these days, sadly.  Kind of wish they'd just release a version of FF1 that at the start of the game said "Classic or Modern" with Classic being based off Origins, Modern being based off Dawn of Souls.  Shouldn't be THAT hard to do honestly.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: August 23, 2015, 03:40:31 PM »
Seriously not cool, Rob.

But yeah I largely agree with Djinn about this (aside from the tentacle rape joke but I already addressed that), and I certainly have no particular attachment to anime myself, having not watched it in a decade and disliking most of its tropes that work their way into the media I do consume.

Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: August 23, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »
I am -shocked- that Rob and Zenny disagree with me about this!

I had something snarky to say then Rob brought up Nazis so I'm just going to shut up here.

Edit: Anime isn't even a hobby of mine. I haven't watched it outside of shit for my schools or Miyazaki in years. I am definitely first in line to call out when anime does dumb shit or gets gross or pedophilic or pandering or xenophobic. I'm not saying that everything about otaku culture is some awesome thing to worship and is beyond criticism. I'm against dismissal of an entire medium just because it makes for a quick pithy comment. Especially since I see it used -a lot- in cases where the critique is more aimed at Japanese culture as whole and not just anime or otaku culture. Though I am obviously not extending that directly to anyone here. I don't think anyone here is being racist. Sorry if it came off as that kind of accusation; I guess it just bugs me when the same language is used here as I see in places where it does apply. Especially when it's stated like fact as if it's some kind of argument-winner for why something is -bad-.

saying "anime bs" = "japanese culture sucks" is a conclusion that is really fuckin' ridiculous. Not in the least because it insinuates that anime = japanese culture which you know damn well for a fact isn't the case. Aside from the kid/teen shows that the students you and I teach watch anime is only a very small sliver of what constitutes "Japanese Culture."

look dude i'mma lay my thought process out here for you probably like i should have so this wouldn't have turned into some kind of thing. When I think of anime BS, I think specifically of the two different versions of Full Metal Alchemist. I rewatched the first like a year ago so this isn't necessarily just nostalgia talking, but on the flipside I could not give you much more specific details. The second one I quit after the first DVD, so either the third or fourth episode.  The first one was very much serious bsns. It had its brief moments of overplayed comedy-melodrama and got really fuckin' ridiculous in the end plot-wise with Ed getting sent to WW2 era Europe and all that nonsense but at its core it was actually pretty freaking dark. Its comedic relief was there but not overplayed. It's anime, but it's not anime bs for the most part.

The remake, however, is basically unwatchable as far as I'm concerned because there's so much anime bs.  Everything "comedic relief"-style is so fucking overplayed as to be cloying, the same repetitious jokes were pounded into the ground by the end of the fuckin DVD, and it was very much zany and manzai as fuck.

Would that have made you happier? If I had said it was manzai as fuck? Would that have circumvented your tedious defensive prattling about how racist it is to say a goddamn fictional octopus was "anime bs"?

God I bored myself to sleep typing that out because the distinction isn't even fucking interesting.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: August 23, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
Final Fantasy Antichrist Autobattle Blues - Sundaily = level-grinding for the B and C-party losers. Currently levelling Steiner, Loserface, Aerith and Quistis.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2719 on: August 23, 2015, 05:33:53 PM »
Sorry you're bored, I happen to find the discussion and classification of storytelling tropes interesting. Particularly since that's what spawned this whole conversation in the first place.

FF Portal: Huh, so Square has leapt into the mobile scene full force now. I guess it makes sense. They've ported nearly all of their major early FF releases to mobile, plus a bunch of exclusively mobile games. As well as stuff like Theatrhythm. So why -not- have an app dedicated to managing your FF apps? And hey, free Triple Triad while we're at it. Beat all the solo modes in Triple Triad, but can't figure out how to unlock any new rulesets beyond the initial 5. Hopefully it gets more robust later, though there's a least a -ton- of Cards available already from every freakin' numbered FF + Tactics and Type-0.

FF1 mobile: This looks to be a direct port of the PSP version, but since it is both free and on my phone, will likely get played! Warrior/Monk/Red Mage/White Mage because I liked their sprites best.

FFD: Started another replay of this to show it off to Shun.

FFD2: Japanese title is FF Legends: Toki no Suishou, it is the sequel to FF Dimensions (FF Legends: Warriors of Light and Dark in Japanese). This is... basically nothing like FFD and plays more like FFRK but with an actual story and characters. The story involves Chrono Trigger-esque Time Travelling between realms to help a mysterious girl who lost her memory and to save the Crystals blah blah blah. More importantly, you go to the Esper World and get magicite and these slot into your PCs to give them both a Summon skill AND a regular ability. I.e. if you equip Shiva you can summon her when you store up enough mana but you -also- can now cast the Blizzara spell regularly with your MP. Each PC appears to be able to equip up to 4 magicite. You can also upgrade magicite and equipment by forging it with fodder magicite/equips, just like in FFRK and various other mobile games. There's currently only 3 PCs, though more chapters/events are getting released that grant access to more PCs. There's also a minor friend system that's nearly identical to FFRK's RW system. The only thing that seems to be shared with FFD is the soundtrack, which is apparently ripped directly from FFD. Mourn the loss of the job system. At least the sprites are cute.

FFRK: Slowly going through core dungeons and their elite counterparts as I go. Only real things of note are that I honed Quake to R4, and got 4 RM2s in a single battle. That was nuts. I spent nearly a week of stamina trying to get Josef's and Garnet's RM2s. But after only randomly running the base FF4 dungeon to waste some stamina before a recharge, I got Rydia/D.Cecil/Gordon/Bard's RM2s in a single battle. RNG is weird.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: August 23, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »
Sorry you're bored, I happen to find semantics and being nitpicky about tropes interesting.

Nothing interesting about storytelling has been argued about here. Only a petty hissyfit between the both of us over the definition of anime bs.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:57:27 PM by Makkotah »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2721 on: August 23, 2015, 06:37:55 PM »
Okay.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: August 23, 2015, 09:01:51 PM »

Feel free (as usual) to ignore me.

Looking at this from a modern perspective is sort of interesting thanks to the fact that folks who grew up with this stuff are part of the industry right now and the broader feel of anime shifting over the last dozen years. Kind of a neat shift in cultural adaptation. If I think about it, the sort of anime I'd associate Ultros-esque stuff with (90s/early 00s) have sort of been getting increasingly displaced by American animation (MLP, Steven Universe, Star vs The Forces of Evil, etc). Just vaguely neat as someone who grew up through the "anime is new" period to see shows that are blending the best of multiple worlds naturally.

Basically, I totally would not be shocked to see someone playing FF6 today in the US for the first time would be more inclined to compare Ultros to American animation as opposed to anime, despite the opposite being the true formerly!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:44:06 PM by AndrewRogue »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: August 23, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
CK wins!

In the 80's and 90's we saw japanese culture as fresh and cool, plus mangas often had fantastic art direction while western comics looked boring as fuck. Everything looked exotic in anime. The extremely weird male-female relationships didn't seem weird because we were awkward teenagers.

Now we can see that a lot of specifics of anime reflect the problems with Japanese society; the terrible gender relationships leading to some super low birth rate and gross fetishes (rape/pedophilia) appearing in mainstream media, the hyper competitiveness between everybody, the lack of change/evolution/progressive elements in culture because of xenophobic tendencies, etc.  (I'd even argue that the finer attention to detail but lack of animations in anime compared to wester cartoons, tells a lot about Japanese culture)

So this is partly why anime has failed to stay culturally relevent lately / why everybody has been collectively eyerolling at anime elements lately. This also leads to a vicious circle: Less people around the world care about anime -> Anime panders more to otakus -> More animes about one guy having a harem of underage girls he carelessly bumps into once per episode with heavy blushing involved.

I am going to keep dismissing something for being anime like I'd dismiss something else for being hollywood or for being "like a comic book". Everybody vaguely understands it and it's cool.
Sure, #NotAllAnime, Cowboy Bebop and the Graveyard of Fireflies, etc. But #Notallanime misses the point, just like #NotAllMen didn't.

FFRK: Sunday is not long enough

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: August 23, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »
No, it isn't. On the plus side, I'm one fight from level-capping Steiner, so I expect to breeze through the next event. Hell, Carbuncle R2 + Summonspring II >>>>> Eiko boss rush.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....