Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194673 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2675 on: August 21, 2015, 07:48:08 PM »
Just now noticed that my post was unclear thanks to missing a word.

I posit that the whimsy bullshit VSM is remembering fondly actually sucks and is stupid anime bullshit. The tone didn't really change all that much, we just played the later games when we were old enough to be sick of that nonsense.

Can't remember what the post looked like before the edit, but that was the impression I got from it. Hence why I think I fall somewhere between you and Gref.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: August 21, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »
Can't remember what the post looked like before the edit, but that was the impression I got from it. Hence why I think I fall somewhere between you and Gref.

Zenny we should let Fenrir know we are going to France sometime since we are going to Eiffel Tower.

PSX FF music composition is great year Fen, the actual way it sounds "instrument" wise just sounds like a butt hole because it uses sound outputs 20.years older than the game itself.  MIDI is great and still used in recording today, just more for input and you output to something else so you don't get that beep bop chip tune sounding mess.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: August 21, 2015, 08:58:10 PM »
RK: Man I really don't want to farm 4* orbs.... I might just waste all my stamina waiting for events/dungeon updates in the future. This should not be TOO much of a problem right?

Orb festival will be the real breaking point for greater orb farming. With them being more common drops than in any other event and being repeatedly farmable like a daily, using it for hardcore farming will likely dictate our hones for the foreseeable future. I'm certainly going to reserve a mythril stash for farming all of the greater/major orb days myself.

Quote from: Fenny
I went two fights in the Aeris boss rush before realizing I had brought no support character. I had no damage mitigation whatsoever aside from Boon? I still went all the way to the last fight then got atomized by Evil Wall's unmitigated unblinded MT.
Still that's some pretty easy boss rush, because that shit wouldn't have flied in the last events.

Reno & Rude was not as nice. I had Nanaki with Dark Buster and it didn't ever land. I had to retry this fight a few times and it just never worked. Maybe Nanaki's lowish level had an effect on this skill's hitrate? That would be annoying.

Stats have no effect on status accuracy at all. It's just that Dark Buster has a 30% status hit rate. RNG will be RNG.

Quote from: Fenny
PROTIP: I think bringing two white mages, instead of one white mage and one support, is a good idea. Support just isn't that useful here. The white mages can share between them Curaga / Slowga / Diaga / Protectga, and all be awesome.

Depends on what kind of offense you have there. I found that, for Rude/Reno, Magic Breakdown and Mental Breakdown was enough post-SG if you land Blind early. But, in my specific case, -one of the supports was also a primary source of offense-. If you need the survivability, the extra White Mage is good, though, Shellga + Protectga together are pretty badass. Also, if you're using buffs instead of debuffs there -and- you have to choose, I'd prioritize Shellga, since Rude's MT Fira is the big bad wolf against your medals there. And also worth pointing out Pyramid is a full buff dispel, which weighs a bit in favor of Breakdowns (not breaks, though, which are worthless against Break resistance).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:25:49 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: August 21, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Didn't have stamina to do 2 "story" dungeons in a row. Was bored. Got Aeris. Benched Aeris.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 21, 2015, 10:55:44 PM »
Well you have to spread out your breakdowns between both Rude and Reno, and they're only as effective as regular breaks here, so they're not really incredible.
Pyramid only debuffs one out of your five guys so that should not be too much of a problem.

The two white mages strat also means you can have one on Diaga duty, kicking major ass. I think this + either Shellga or Protectga would be better than the 33% or so damage reduction you get from breakdowns that takes ages to set up. You get both more damage and more mitigation from the white mage.

White mages now rule. New meta.

Zenny we should let Fenrir know we are going to France sometime since we are going to Eiffel Tower.

PSX FF music composition is great year Fen, the actual way it sounds "instrument" wise just sounds like a butt hole because it uses sound outputs 20.years older than the game itself.  MIDI is great and still used in recording today, just more for input and you output to something else so you don't get that beep bop chip tune sounding mess.

Well Uematsu was used to working with shitty instruments by then

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: August 21, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »
It may be the meta for you rich late game guys, but for where I am, I'll take a handy flex pick like Sazh for my utility.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: August 22, 2015, 12:14:53 AM »
White mages now rule. New meta.

Selphie is doing 8000 damage to elite bosses with no synergy.

Selphiroth.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: August 22, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »
Oh hell yes!

(Except that my level 65 Sephiroth does way less damage than Selphie)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: August 22, 2015, 12:39:19 AM »
Badass. Diaga is really good, I'd actually hone it to R3 (I have the orbs), but I want to save my Holy Orbs for Ruinga. I can -also- hone Quake to R4, but I also have plans for those Dark Orbs.

In other news, I just honed Waterja to R3. Suck it, Gandhi.

EDIT: In all fairness, White Magic is just about the most self-sufficient skillset in the entire game. Two very good status spells (Slowga and Silencega), niche ST buffs, utterly badass MT buffs, the obvious healing usefulness and even competent, cost-efficient offense (the two extra castings on the Dia line go a long way). The only thing they truly lack is MT offense, which many healers (like Vanille, Garnet, Yuna and shortly later Eiko - hell, even Aerith in the foreseeable future) cover with other skillsets. Don't fuck with the clerics.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:10:21 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: August 22, 2015, 01:20:32 AM »
So uh, just how high are you intending to hone Ruinga, Snow? <_<

Just remember that Hope's event should come after the orbfest, so chances are you'll have a lot more Greater Holy Orbs by then compared to what you have in stock right now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: August 22, 2015, 01:57:26 AM »
Ooooh, it's coming -after- the orb fest? Good to know! Though my plans for the Dark Orbs involve Bioga.

EDIT: Said "fuck it" and honed Valefor to R2 as well. I'll recover those five NE Orbs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:11:40 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: August 22, 2015, 04:11:58 AM »
Ultros was fine but without nostalgia goggles I wouldn't know what the big deal is. He is also decidedly anime bullshit.

If the opera's grand finale is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2687 on: August 22, 2015, 05:42:38 AM »

It's very strange. Compare the Opera to the chunk of Aeris' theme that recycled it and the latter totally falls flat (GET IT????), but a lot of the tracks from CC sound much more real than anything from the prior generation. Then again I went back through that a while ago and some of the tracks sound like total ass.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2688 on: August 22, 2015, 05:51:16 AM »
Just now noticed that my post was unclear thanks to missing a word.

I posit that the whimsy bullshit VSM is remembering fondly actually sucks and is stupid anime bullshit. The tone didn't really change all that much, we just played the later games when we were old enough to be sick of that nonsense.
How is something like "Mr. Thou" considered "anime bullshit"? It's goofy and I can see not liking it, but stupid/goofy does not equal 'anime bullshit'. It's just regular-variety 'bullshit' if you have some kind of intolerance for stupid/goofy. 'Anime bullshit' requires stupid anime tropes, which I honestly don't see a lot of in FF games. Apart from basic character archetypes (which you see in western games too, so I don't think this is FF-exclusive), most of the story/humor stuff in FF-games are culture-neutral. Compare with things like Tales, which are 'anime bullshit' to the point I start to wonder if it's parody (it's not, unfortunately), and I'm not getting this complaint that FF humor is too steeped in anime tropes to be enjoyable/whimsical.

FFRK: Finished Aerith's boss rush. Reta-meta for the win. Aerith is a pretty solid skillset. I am totally gonna run a five-white-mage party for kicks at some point. Still have lots of core dungeons to beat. Garnet/Yuna/Selphie/Aerith... Vanille I guess? Maybe actual White Mage for challenge?

Admittedly, Garnet will just end up being a Summoner in a party like that. Well, I guess her SB still qualifies her as a WM, so after she uses all five of her charges, she'll be doing -something-.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: August 22, 2015, 06:59:16 AM »
Ultros was fine but without nostalgia goggles I wouldn't know what the big deal is. He is also decidedly anime bullshit.

Agreed. Just saying, whacky octopus interrupts opera? Pretty fuckin anime

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: August 22, 2015, 07:58:47 AM »
Reno n rude beaten. No mastery.

Balls.

Did ff5 land worm elite afterwards.

Ran into a glitch. Not sure what triggered it.

Had Edgar balthier dagger lightning and vivi. Vanille was my sb.

I used Vanille's sb which hit all the holes. No counter.

Ok. Whatever. I continued to beat down the worm and eventually it moved to the top hole.  I dropped it down to no life and it died.

But it gave me a normal enemy death effect.

It didn't boss die and the fight went on.

So I sat there thinking maybe it retreated or went down a holet again. Nothing.

So I beat up on some holes for a bit. Git bored and restarted the fight.

Beat it the second time no issues. That time I avoided the Vanille sb. Dunno if that mattered or not. Just strange.

Not looking forward to the ff9 event. I had 5 ff7 pee pi s with every slot of their equipment loaded with ff7 gear. Every one had ff7 gear of at least 3 stars or better, and the end of that event got pretty hard.

I have waaaaaaaaaaaay less ff9 gear. So unless vivi carries me with faith. I can see a struggle coming.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2691 on: August 22, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »

How is that in anyway an anime thing? Childish, perhaps? Whacky/goofy/silly/stupid/outlandish/non sequitur is not somehow a Japan-only invention in either games nor animation.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: August 22, 2015, 12:50:47 PM »

How is that in anyway an anime thing? Childish, perhaps? Whacky/goofy/silly/stupid/outlandish/non sequitur is not somehow a Japan-only invention in either games nor animation.

https://youtu.be/k2phr3HXWq0?t=40s

EO Untold: Jesus Christ this is all so hard
God damn bards
But I'm close to the end

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2693 on: August 22, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
That is clearly -not- the opera.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: August 22, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
Tentacle rape jokes are the Stupid Animest thing ever

If your game has a talking octopus making a tentacle rape joke about the female main character, then the bs animeness of that scene extends to all subsequent scenes involving said talking octopus, and arguably to the entire game
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:58:23 PM by Fenrir »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2695 on: August 22, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »
I think you're confused.

Tentacle Rape is the stupidest anime thing ever.

Making fun of tentacle rape is basically the opposite.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: August 22, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
Final Fantasy My Baby Don't Autobattle Me - Non-elemental orb farming day is go. Got two GNEOs and a GIO already, up to 59 NEOs. By the end of the day, I should have the orbs for R5ing Comet with room to spare, except for the fact I have no Black Orbs. Sigh, I want Tuesdays.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: August 22, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »
I think you're confused.

Tentacle Rape is the stupidest anime thing ever.

Making fun of tentacle rape is basically the opposite.

Well. By that logic Disgaea becomes the Anti-Anime because it mentions a lot of anime tropes in a joking manner.
It isn't. It is the Uber-Anime.

this kind of vague tentacle rape joke is not making fun of tentacle rape, it is a *wink wink* at the "terrible otaku" audience
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:51:45 PM by Fenrir »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: August 22, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »
I think today is a money farming day in rk for me.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: August 22, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »
Yeah that Ultros line is pretty stupid and just in case you needed more evidence that the Woolsey translation is superior, that line is not in his version of the game.

But I do agree with Djinn otherwise that a zany purple octopus deciding to make a mess out of an opera is not particularly anime- or Japan-specific.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.