Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194782 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2550 on: August 14, 2015, 04:48:47 AM »
D.C.... they're so insecure

You figured out the secret of why DC does stupid things all the time.

It would explain their abusive relationship with Zack Snyder. Honey, don't settle, you can do better.

But c'mon, look at how much cash he made that one time for a movie about Spartan abs.

Zack Snyder's basically perfect for the modern DC imprint.  Doesn't understand things beyond a surface reading, wants everything to be gradients of one color, is aimed only at 35-year-old men and nobody else.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2551 on: August 14, 2015, 05:29:37 AM »
Yessssss Double Hit dropped from Mysidia Tower, part 2. No need to farm for it now.

So many hours spent farming for that... >.>;;

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »
Final Fantasy There's More To Autobattle Than This - New dungeons, moving through them now. Not really much to say, though those Greater Fire and Ice Orb rewards look nice. Also got Dark Knight Cecil's bonus quest out of the way, since that Greater Growth Egg is nice for getting Sazh up to speed for Brynhildr.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: August 14, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
RK: Bryndlhyr was very rude! I think it was the hardest boss since I've started playing. Especially with no FF13 gear beyond dumb bracers and a dumb gun.
Getting mastery was at least easier than getting Schizo's, but that's not saying much.

Pure mitigation with no healing doesn't work at all here. Lynyrd Skynyrd is too durable and does too much damage.

So I got demolished once, then went with this setup:

Cloud lvl 65: mental break R5, super ice strike R4
Squall lvl 63: armor break R5, regular ice strike R2
Yuna lvl 63: diara R4, curaga R4 (i really need to hone that)
Sazh lvl 40: power breakdown R2, boost R4 (can't believe I'm still using this)
Vivi lvl 65: blizzaga R4, waterja R3
Rw: sentinel grimoire

At the end of the fight everybody but Cloud was dead and I had used Diara once. I only got one chocobo reward (this changes nothing compared to having two chocobos, beyond the game telling you that you are terrible)

Traded diara for protectga and SG for Sazh's boon (mt haste + shell) then got the mastery. I needed luck + perfect timing for the buffs/debuffs or else someone on the team died. Shit was intense. Battle speed 1 for the entire fight was an obvious requirement.

Mvp was Cloud and Vivi, tied. Shock. Cloud did 9500 damage after armor break and boost, Vivi did about 8000 after mental break IIRC.

Edit: oh yeah the boss rush was nasty too. Had to use a mithril to refresh Snow's dog because I wasn't able to beat Odin
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:21:25 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: August 14, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »
Brynhildr is a continent-sized dick

Yup. But I'll address this shortly.

Final Fantasy The Fiery Autobattles - So yeah, Fenrir's not kidding. I went through the boss rush without much trouble (just handed SELPHIE Wind Slash for the weakness medal on Garuda Interceptor  - Celerity 3 was useful on her for once! - and Intimidate even at R2 makes Dreadnought complete lulzies. I had it at R4. Keepsake Knife Reta-meta on Cloud carried the day along with R2 Waterja+Firaga otherwise, and it's particularly recommended for Anima, since it bypasses its egregious counter whoring), but Brynhildr is a very rude awakening. For starters, if he opens with MT, you're likely screwed: it puts you -way- too much on the defensive. Anyhow, he's a pure high-end slugfester with good durability, ice weakness and decent amounts of MT, both physical and magical, and also some ST magic, but -a lot- of ST multihit physicals, including a six-hit attack. My setup went along these lines:

Cloud (L65) - R4 Retaliate, R4 Blizzara Strike
Sazh (L39) - R1 Armor Breakdown, R4 Boost
Red XIII (L50) - R2 Power Breakdown, R2 Magic Breakdown
Selphie (L60) - R5 Curaga, R1 Shellga
Vivi (L65) - R5 Blizzaga, R2 Waterja
Roaming Warrior - Paladin Cecil Sentinel

You can see where this is going, right? Sentinel has the effects of Taunt - i.e. directs all ST physicals to the user. Retaliate evades and counters ALL physical-tagged attacks, whether they ignore evade or not, and applies to each and every hit of a move. Once this is set up, whenever Brynhildr decides using Gunshot or Valkyrian Scythe is a good idea, Cloud chippershreds his ass. Shellga and Mag Breakdown were vital to keep his magic under control, while Power Breakdown worked as a safeguard of sorts when he uses his MT physical. This is a pretty risky approach, since it makes the first -three- turns a race against AI instead of just the first, but once all the cards are on the table, this leads to hilarious things. In the end, I managed to master him after some S/L shenanigans (besides the very dangerous opening turn, in one of the runs, he managed to KO Sazh while I was trying to put Reta+Sentinel back up), but holy hell. Cloud rammed the damage cap post-Boost and Armor Breakdown, Vivi was dealing 7.8k with Blizzagas no strings attached. Selphie spent the ENTIRE FIGHT slinging Curagas after the initial Shellga and every. Single. One. Of. Them. Mattered.

Fun fight!

EDIT: Since Fenrir mentioned it, I've also seen a sizable rush upwards in the amount of times people are using my RW. Gogogogogo Doom timers.

EDIT 2: I also have to note Brynhildr's animations look so fucking slick.

EDIT 3: I'm not sure why people struggle a lot with Odin's timer. I mean, both times I beat him I had over 30 seconds spare on the clock - wait Lunatic High.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:08:19 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: August 14, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Cool.

Oh the timer wasn't a problem for me or anything, his attacks were the problem. I beat Byrllmndihr with 40 seconds/90 left.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: August 14, 2015, 06:07:56 PM »
I beat Odin 1 with 4 seconds left on timer and boss rush Odin with timer at 00.  Way more style points than you Snow.

Mastered all elite fights, expert on boss rush (lost 1 action and 2 damage on all four of them). Haven't tried Bryn yet.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 14, 2015, 07:11:40 PM »
I beat Odin 1 with 4 seconds left on timer and boss rush Odin with timer at 00.  Way more style points than you Snow.

I'm pretty sure I spent all my style points quota for the year when I beat NORG through a Zantetsuken ID proc.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 14, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Just beat up the self-styled best filler boss of all time! Fun game, has a few flaws but generally it's a good, light-hearted romp. Playing them close together I can't help compare it to Shovel Knight, and while SK has several advantages in game design which I will get into when I write a larger post for the game, Shantae obviously wins big in anything related to writing.

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies - Up to the final case!

Final Fantasy Dimensions - Fin.

Game was around 55 hours, finished at Level 71.

As I said early on in the playthrough in this space, it's a FF5-like, and you have to try to screw those up in my eyes. As such, FFD did not disappoint; I got what I hoped for out of it. There are enough differences between FFD and FF5 (as well as Bravely Default, Blue Dragon, etc.) to merit note, but on average if you like one you should like the other.

What the game does well:

-Most obviously, it has a fan job system. Each character has 12 jobs to play around with (though there are 17 total; the 12 one gets depends on which path the character is from), which is certainly adequate for such a game (it's less than FF5/Bravely Default, though Blue Dragon got away with fewer). Skillsets and passives can be ported over between jobs: there are 2-4 skill slots available (more as the job you're currently in levels up), with typically skillsets and particularly powerful passives costing 2 slots, and weaker passsives and simple job commands costing 1. It offers more flexibility than FF5 did, as such, though not hugely more. Unlike FF5, though like almost every other game that has used a job system, it does not automatically upgrade your stats for equipping a magic skillset, so if you want to get the most out of certain skillsets (such as white magic's invaluable healing), you really need to stay in a small number of jobs. It's a bit limiting but fortunately the game gives you enough options with party composition that you can get by (e.g. you can either go with one mind-twinked white mage healer or have multiple weaker healers in the form of Dragoons, Dancers, Red Mages, or various others carrying white magic off weaker stats). I know some FF5 fans bemoan the fact that the game eschewed FF5's high level of skillset portability, but there is probably a reason most games do it, and I don't think the game lacks for valid options, so eh.

-Class balance is actually pretty respectable. In both FF5 and Blue Dragon, attack magic was generally far too powerful for enemies to handle, while Bravely Default had the overcentralising Dark Knight. If FFD has anything like that, I didn't find it. Physical damage generally offers more DPS (due to magic having charging times), while magic offers more options and better multitarget. Speed vs. damage vs. durability are real tradeoffs between many classes, status is very useful without feeling overpowered (because fully immune enemies very much do exist). So not only are there many viable options, but there are many which feel valid as well, and that's a nice feeling.

-One great idea FFD has is the use of temps to show off new jobs. In most chapters, you get a temp character, locked in one job (but at a fairly high level of it), which gives you a good sense of what the job can do and what abilities it will learn. That way, you know what you're getting into when jump into it at Job Level 1 instead of going in blind, or needing to resort to a FAQ. It's a pretty organic solution, the only real downside that of course it means you can kinda predict how a temp will join and leave like clockwork. (This supposed downside would matter if FFD had a plot worth caring about.)

-Enemy design is relatively strong. Randoms are durable enough and with varied enough defensive properties to reward learning them and determining the unique optimal way to cut them down, which is not a given in the genre by any means. On offence/skillsets the randoms are generally a bit less individually memorable, although there are certainly some standouts (red/blue dragons for instance). Bosses are generally quite fun affairs: they're reasonably fast and durable and have enough tricks to keep things interesting; they rarely have completely overwhelming offence but it often feels like you have to keep on top of them or be overwhelmed. I had some scattered resets throughout the game, though rarely too many. I thought the game maintained its challenge better than FF5 or Bravely Default did, certainly, but full disclosure that I did not get Dualcast, may affect things some.

-While the music certainly isn't outstanding, it's pretty good. I liked most of the battle themes. Most of the rest of the soundtrack is largely just there, but never grates. I have less good overall things to say about the graphics, but the enemy sprites are pretty good and the animations are decent (and never too long, always nice).

What the game does less well:

-Overall I think the game's decision to go with two parties is a net negative. Early on, when their list of jobs is identical, you just feel like you're retreading all the same decisions in the job system (often picking up most of the same equipment as the corresponding chapters progress) which is lame. Later each path gets different jobs, which keeps things more interesting, but still means you have to put on hold the development of your party in order to develop the other, and it can be a bit jarring. While it becomes less of a negative, it never really becomes a positive. I'm obviously not opposed to perspective-switching games in general — Suikoden 3 and Fire Emblem 10 are two of my all-time favourites — but in their main payoff is typically narrative, allowing more interesting stories to be told, or perhaps that they allow you to really sink your teeth into developing a larger cast of characters gameplaywise. Neither really applies to Final Fantasy Dimensions; its writing sucks (and it doesn't make particularly good use of the split perspective) and building 8 characters proves not particularly more compelling than building 4-5, especially with how boring most of them are.

-The game has a love affair with plot fights (I think there are about a dozen?). It's stupid and wastes your time. On the note of things that are stupid and waste your time, the game badly needed sceneskip; it feels like FFX in that major boss fights are not easy, and often have a reasonably lengthy cutscene before them. This is a bad recipe. Fortunately you can deal with the latter by doing something else while mashing the touchscreen, but still.

-I've touched on this enough times, but let's repeat it here: Final Fantasy Dimensions' plot and writing are shit. Most of the characters are tired, overused tropes (the game has two mains and they're somehow both members of two of the most annoying JRPG main tropes, the idiot lead and the silent, kinda-emo one). The game has a large villain cast but they're transparently just used for cool boss fights and are all boring and blend together. There's too much anime goofiness. Even series like Tales, Grandia, and Xenosaga with their bad plots usually manage to at least have one or two compelling characters or bring up some interesting philosophical points; this game really doesn't manage even that. There are glimmers of potential here and there, like Matoya and Gawain are kinda interesting if I squint, but they're temporary. The only thing which saves the writing at all is the fourth-wall-shattering Alba (and to a lesser extent her lovable douche of a brother), but she's pure comic relief and thanks to the game's weak translation/script even she falls flat at times.

-Graphically the game isn't impressive and generally it looks relatively low-budget. Not that big a deal, but it is what it is. The game is still good enough to be absolutely worth its pricetag, but I can understand the presentation being a bit of a turnoff.

-Touchscreen controls are obviously sub-optimum. I really wish the fixed D-pad was on the right instead of the left; I had some problems with the floating one (which I did end up using) but didn't want to adjust to the left-handed one. And if I held the iPad in the wrong way the game would interpret my holding hand brushing the screen as a confirm. Sometimes at rather bad times. It's not game-breaking but yeah I'd have preferred to see this on the 3DS.

Still it's a pretty fun game, will certainly replay at some point to kick that class system around some more. Pacing could be better in variety of ways (the one place FF5 convincingly beats out its imitator) and it's certainly not an all-time great, but I got what I was looking for out of it. Definitely enjoyable. 7/10, could be 8 if I feel generous upon further reflection.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 14, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
Final Fantasy Another Rainy Autobattle - Now that I'm done with Lightning's event, it's back to dungeon rummaging. FF9 dungeons are pretty damned easy in general, boss design was pretty uninspired in that game. I can't complain about listening to my favorite Final Fantasy battle theme besides maybe Blinded By Light without having to play FF9 itself, though. Also got Garnet's second Record Materia just by running the classic dungeons. I'm sure it'll be truly useful approximately never, though it's a cute idea.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: August 15, 2015, 02:01:56 AM »
FFRK: Holy shit -classic- Beatrix just did 3300 damage unmitigated turn 1 to a L50 Lightning, OHKO. First time I've had to resort to S/L in a classic dungeon since Golbez used his 5% Hold Gas turn 1.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:11:12 AM by hinode »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: August 15, 2015, 02:50:44 AM »
Yeah, classic dungeons took the kiddie gloves off.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2562 on: August 15, 2015, 03:55:26 AM »
Final Fantasy and the Half-Blood RNG: Yeah, it's kinda annoying that I can't use the Classic Dungeons to level up my C-list collection anymore. Everyone in my party needs to be at least -this tall- (level 50) to even be considered. Even with Record Synergy, it's not really worth it to bring someone who can't even equip a Record Materia. To be fair, 90% of my leveling comes from EXP dungeon and Growth Eggs, so it's not a -huge- loss, but it was kinda fun using slightly weaker guys that I normally wouldn't use (GORDON!).

Did an 11-pull and got some 4-stars... Guess I'm not going to be rocking Gun-Lightning. Sadface.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: August 15, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »
Final Fantasy 100,000 Autobattles - Cleared all of this update's Classic dungeons, running through their Elite versions now. Quake on Vivi and summons on Garnet for clearing the trash is really good times with the Spring RMs, it allows me to bring L41 Sazh to those dungeons impunely. On the front row. I decided to save all my Mythril for the second SB banners, just after Golbez's event. Currently sitting at 54, hopefully will have 100+ for Yuna's second SB banner and Lightning's Blazefire Sabre reprise.

More discoveries: FF9 dungeons are brutally mage-heavy. Shellga/Carbuncle is highly recommended for running the trash if you're letting them get turns at all. It even spoils bosses like Black Waltz 3. Also, Zorn and Thorn are completely worthless.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: August 16, 2015, 12:18:21 AM »
Tried Record Keeper.

WTF? Why can't I equip Cloud with Thunder? Fuck you. It is Thunder. It is a starting ability on Cloud. Delete game. Uninstall bluestacks. Ruminate about life.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: August 16, 2015, 02:42:26 AM »
Alpha Protocol: I replayed this thing and it's still fairly enjoyable albeit flawed. I played Thornton as an insufferable asshole who everybody hates and I killed everyone or let everyone die and I have decided it is pretty much canon. I was buddies with Steven Heck, though, but I figure that fits with the character.

*It is fairly satisfying pissing Conrad Marburg off so much that he attacks you out of pure rage (that was the only real goal of the playthrough).
*I angered Albatross on both my playthroughs so much that I don't actually know what he's like as an ally.
*Mina is super boring.
*Konstantin Brayko is still one of the most memorable encounters in the past few years.
*The opening in the Middle East is still a big and boring misstep and makes it seem just like the slew of games released around this time set in the same region. I can see why people would have turned away from the game from this initial part.
*I only wish there were more opportunities to piss Darcy off. He's so easy to take out in his boss fight that it's not satisfying.
*I didn't touch stealth and handguns. Those are basically gameplay skip buttons and I don't care about the gameplay in this game, so I probably should have used them. Other guns have interesting things, but nothing is as broken as Chain Shot. No stealth kinda sucks, though. I did kung fu because this Thornton is the loudest, least subtle spy who just runs up to everyone and punches them to death. High level kung fu + fury can do a good dent to most bosses although it doesn't work on some others.
*Rome > Taipei > Moscow
*Fucking everyone over in this game is strangely gratifying.

This was a nice palate cleanser.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2566 on: August 16, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
Final Fantasy Are You There, RNG, It's Me Record Keeper: Fuck Yeah, I got a 5-star Dagger, the Keepsake Knife!
I had other things to say, but now none of that seems so bad. EXP day is more fun when you can make literally any character do damage that registers thanks to a single weapon. What am I gonna do with all these four-star gloves and such that are now all completely outclassed by my universal shitkicker.

Other cool things: Quake R3, Alexander R2, Ramuh R3 - sweep ALL the trash!
Waterja and Firaja R2
All-agas are R5
Most Breaks are R5.
Power/Magic Breakdown R2
Four natural 5-star Swords... >.>;; (Why am I even keeping the upgraded 3- and 4-stars?)
3 6-star weapons, though only one of them is a natural 5* (Sentinel's Grimoire).
My best Spear is still a 3-star, amusingly.
Best Gun is still a 3-star.
Best Bow is a 4-star at least!
Best Thrown is Locke's unique 5-star, which only a surprisingly small number of Ranged characters can use (Wakka's never irrelevant to me! All my other Thrown-users are stuck at Level 50)
Still no 5-star mage or healer sticks. Though I -did- get a 3* clip for Nanaki if I ever wanna mage him out.

Tidus, Wakka, Cloud, Squall, Garnet, Yuna, Vivi are all level 65. I probably don't actually need to level any other characters, but I'm still leveling Tyro, Lightning, White Cecil, Fran, Sephiroth, Selphie, and Quistis for potential use. Other PCs getting leveled are mostly for their Record Materia, like Bard, Edgar, Sabin, Tifa, Sazh, Gordon. Not that I particularly need any of their Materia, I just wanna collect 'em all. Trying to decide which is the better way to spend EXP day - trudging through with the under-50 club to hurry their progress... or work on leveling my B-listers up to 65 and then tossing the resulting eggs at the weaklings? Certainly the B-listers will make the EXP dungeon a lot -easier- to mindlessly clear, so I'll probably use a few of them ANYWAY because otherwise the under-50s aren't gonna be able to efficiently clear the EXP dungeon itself.

Rydia and Dark Cecil still need to hurry up and drop their second Record Materias. Gore-Stained Blade II is the largest attack boost on a Materia, while Rydia's actually boosts Summon damage, which will be useful for a few select boss fights.

Max Stamina is 116. I haven't cleared even half of the Elite dungeons from the previous update, though I've been clearing all the ones from this update as I go, which seems to work out better. Wish they'd give up those sweet sweet stamina stones more easily though.

Tried Record Keeper.

WTF? Why can't I equip Cloud with Thunder? Fuck you. It is Thunder. It is a starting ability on Cloud. Delete game. Uninstall bluestacks. Ruminate about life.

Man, Cloud with Thunder would be awful...

If you'd held out for like a day, you could have given him Thunder Blade instead, which is WAY cooler.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:00:57 PM by DjinnAndTonic »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: August 16, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
I should probably give AP another shot. My older computer struggled a little running it, but I probably just wandered off because the Middle East opening plot didn't catch my attention at all.

*Cid YouTubes Brayko fight* Okay that is pretty great.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: August 16, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »
Final Fantasy 3: I am struggling to come up with a witty title for the dual playthrough so I won't, instead, enjoy this utter lack of visual aid I present!

Anyway, just beat Doga/Unei, and the 2 Floating Continent summons.  It's not a lot but still thoughts are to be had!

-Doga and Unei are awful in the NES version, though honestly it feels kind of intentional.  They're fought back to back, and given how RNG dependent the game can be at times thanks to AI and such, having a fight which is hard followed by another one can turn it into a game of luck.  DS version is exactly that.  Doga is the only boss fight in the game that doesn't fully heal you after beating him, and both he and Unei are treated like regular bosses, and the DS version is just as RNG dependent as the other game...if not more.  Doga can randomly hurl 1HKO ST damage at a PC with Flare, and Unei's MT Aerora + Physical stings.  I had a reset because Doga killed off 2 PCs via Flare at the end of the fight just as he died, and then Unei loved to spam Aerora and such.  The second run, I beat Doga with 2 characters in yellow meaning all Unei had to do was cast Aerora (she's fast by the way) and I'd be screwed.

-This is a rare dungeon where they legitimately changed the layout in the DS version.  NES version, it's your typical twist and turns dungeon.  DS version, they turned it into a large spiral ramp dungeon in a few rooms with an occasional break off for treasure.

-Leviathan and Bahamut's dungeons feel scaled to be done BEFORE Cave of Darkness.  The enemies here suck in both versions, both games give you Kotetsu, the step up from Asura, the store-bought Dark Sword, obviously intended to be used in Cave of Darkness (after Cave of Darkness, you aren't running more than 1 Dark Knight, so the 2 Kikuichimonjis you get by the end are all you need), DS version hands you 2 Platinum Hammers between the dungeons which are straight up inferior to the Blessed Hammers you get in Fargabad.  As a result, not much to say here.

-The bosses...different story.  Well, first off, Leviathan sucks in the NES version the way I played; no getting around that.  Tsunami is his only remotely threatening move and I think it might be Thunder elemental (Leviathan's summon is) meaning Diamond Gear which most jobs will be using at this point mock it, and Cure 4 handles the damage well.  Leviathan in the DS version?  Way better than Heckaton; Tsunami is downright cruel here, and his physical randomly inflicts stone which if he aims for your healer, you can be SOL.  It bugs me because if you're designing a dungeon to be balanced around tackling at this point, make the boss balanced in a similar vain!  Leviathan does not feel that way.   

-Bahamut?  NES version he's a dick.  This fight is an example of how 4 Dragoons can be extremely handy since Mega Flare spam is really hard to deal with unless you have more than one healer (which is what I did on the winning run.)  Also he's a massive tank, physicals do about half what you expect and Magic is mocked (it's not just elemental; I had my Summoner item cast a Chocobo Rage and it still did ass damage.)   I have to wonder if they wanted you to fight him with 4 Dragoons because "Dragon Knights vs. a Dragon!" and built him like Garuda; wouldn't be shocked if he was weak to Wind as well making Dragoon's damage way better than expected.   DS version...funny thing about this?  I had a Dragoon, it used Jump w/ Gungnir + Blood Lance, it did 34k~ to him and he died on turn 2, so I cannot comment on difficulty, only awe at how much damage I did.  How did I know how much damage I did when there's a 9999 display cap?  Blood Lance heals for HP = 1/6th total damage dealt (when dual wielding anyway), and I healed 5700~ with it, so math stuff.

-I ended up not needing to buy any spells on the Floating Continent outside of a Sleep spell in the NES version.  This is because in the NES version, Toad and Mini are identical when used on enemies, so split them between each character, and gave one character Blind and the other Venom because Filler.  Granted, Cure, Chocobo and Shiva are the only Level 1/2 spells I'll be using this late but shh!

NEXT UP: LABYRINTH OF THE ANCIENTS.  Aka a really boring filler dungeon that got recreated over 20 years later in another boring and bland way!  Also, Eureka too, which is to say, "yay awesome gear!"

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: August 16, 2015, 02:43:05 PM »
Alpha Protocol is one of my favourite games of last gen, I've finished it 3 or 4 times. I can't blame anyone for giving up at the beginning, but it gets really good.
There are lots of choices but it's almost impossible not to be a huge jerk, and it's more fun to pick the most contrarian answers
I didn't find the pistol that good compared to the assault rifle? Both are way better than SMGs/Shotguns/CQC in any case.

RK: Djinn, record synergy for items is really something big so I suggest keeping all those 3 stars items.
Record synergy for characters past the beginning of the game doesn't matter nearly as much, so there's actually not much of a real gameplay intencive to level everybody instead of just a small team. It's just more fun to do + It matters if you're a crazy min / maxer

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2570 on: August 16, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »
Well, that's unfortunate game design. I'd rather spend time leveling up a bunch of characters for different synergy boosts than trying to collect a ton of RNG weapons. I mean, I see the reason for it. It's technically a good way to keep 3-stars (aka the most common type of actually usable equipment) relevant and gives the player a lot of interesting choices and flexibility... but dammit I'd rather just swap a few good equips around on my different collectible sprites for different realms instead of vice-versa.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: August 16, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »
Well you have to keep in mind that this is a F2P game.

If character difference was more relevant, characters wouldd have to be available through gatcha mechanics or something. "TIFA EVENT! 10% chance to get Tifa and 90% chance to get Warrior if you spend 50 mithril"

And I'd rather have every character than every weapon.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: August 16, 2015, 04:05:13 PM »
Assault Rifles turned out quite well in this playthrough but max Chain Shot with good pistol ammo ends most boss encounters almost immediately. As I mentioned Cid, stealth is a big gameplay skip and it gets ridiculous later on (you can turn on invisibility for a really long time wherein you can just stealth takeout everyone, and you get temp invisibility if you are seen), which is useful for your first playthrough. Intel is worth picking up too since it leads to various things appearing in different missions or ways to deal with bosses that would not be available to you otherwise. Trying to fill out dossiers is also pretty cool since it does add a lot to the world although I just wikied things I couldn't get to. Give it a chance past the Middle East, it does improve quite a bit. It's also noteworthy that once you get to your three safehouses, you can and should move freely between them. Characters and other things will appear in the other locations and it's neat to see how things interact with each other.

I guess the nicest thing you can be in the game is professional, and even then you just kind of talk like a heartless, singleminded asshole. There are no true nice options and that's great, and you still get perks when people hate your guts, so there isn't this KOTOR or Mass Effect-y reason to be nice to everyone. You get perks for fucking up missions and for almost anything (like using a conversation option like suave a number of times), so you're generally rewarded for playing any way you want to. If the gameplay were better, there might be a incentive for people to minmax some of their choices so that you have minimal cooldowns and good bonuses for your build but it's just not necessary in this game.

Some of the perks you get when your handlers hate you are pretty funny.

Sean Darcy, Endurance +10
Your will to live is strengthened by the knowledge that dying would make Darcy happy. That can't happen - not at any cost.

Albatross, Endurance +15
The only thing worse than Albatross' voice in your earpiece is the thought of his smug grin if you died. That thought alone leaves you unwilling to give up in the face of grievous harm.

Sie, Endurance + 5
There's something about SIE's androgynous voice over your earpiece that makes you less inclined to die - it's probably the fear that if you were wounded on your mission, she'd rescue you and lick your wounds.

If you hate everyone, you get bonuses to HP because you want to survive purely out of spite and I can get behind that.

Sadly, the game likely won't get a sequel but the game had enough worthwhile ideas that someone else should steal and build on them.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: August 16, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »
FFRK:  Sephiroth hit level 65, my first character to do so.  Also got r3 Quake.

Omega Ruby: My son gave this to me as a gift.  I am playing with Normal types only so I can be the best Normal type trainer like my father.  This means ZIGZAGOON ARMY.

Wow the radar thing is stupidly easy to get good pokemon with.  Back in my day we had to slave day and night to breed pokemon with good stats, now they just pop up in the grass.  A lot.  Like the pop ups are more common than regular encounters in the grass?  This is so weird as a pokemon game.

Beat the Rock gym with 5 Zigzagoons and a Slakoth.  My most OP Zigzagoon has the egg move Tickle, which is pretty amazing this early in the game.

Fighting gym was tackled with 3 Zigs, Slakoth, Whismur, and Skitty.  Skitty pretty much soloed Brawly's Makuhita with Attract.  The power of love can never be defeated!

Electric gym was annoying due to Volt Switch shenanigans but nothing I couldn't handle.  Watson's pocket Magneton did nothing but use Supersonic over and over, missing every time.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: August 16, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »
Final Fantasy I Was A Prisoner In Your Autobattle - FF5 Sandworm battle in ATB with charge times and no measure to 2HKO its face with Aqua Breath = a complete pain in the ass. Good thing I could afford to lose the no-Gravity-triggering medal. Otherwise, I'm mostly doing dungeons and XP daily. Maybe I'll get Sazh to L50, and I'm also levelling Tin Can (aka Steiner). That should be useful for the Eiko event in a little bit over a week, give and take, since the Beatrix fights require him around for medals. OF COURSE, I'll also likely use Eiko and certainly Vivi will be around. The Oak Staff completely rips FF9 dungeons in half and that's beautiful.