Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194657 times)

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2300 on: July 28, 2015, 02:59:17 AM »
Spamming !Calm works, but it works better if you can have two people spamming it while the other two plink away.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 28, 2015, 03:04:18 AM »
I've finished 5 Fiestas now... (Summary: http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=jsh357)

One more to go, just no750.  I've been extremely lucky with my picks so far.  Overall it has been fun sitting back and playing FF5 again, and I'll probably play again next year, but six in a row is a bit much.  It makes me happy that these types of challenges are getting out there more and people are seeing how enjoyable they can be.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: July 28, 2015, 03:08:44 AM »
Calm is a short-lasting Stop, so you'll want at least two people with their turns staggered as much as possible using it (some people prefer to use three). Other PC(s) need to use lightning, ITD, or super-high-base-power damage. 1000 Needles is probably your best bet offhand.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: July 28, 2015, 03:17:02 AM »
Personally, I did manage to kill Omega one time with only one PC spamming !Calm, but I think that required using a !Release to hit Omega with Slow first, and my Beastmaster having Hermes Sandles on (it was a Natural Run with a Berserker, so...)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: July 28, 2015, 04:33:50 AM »
Focus is a pretty ridiculous MAG boost. It's actually one of the best default SBs for offensive magic. It lasts a short time, but that time has him dealing -ja-level damage with -ga spells.

It's not enough of a boost to warrant skipping a turn unless you have very few spell charges, and if you have very few spell charges your soul break won't be charged.  Catch-22.  I'd much rather have Black Mage's SB, at least that covers an obscure weakness and you can use it when you're out of spells.

In other news, the last boss of Macarena Woods is damned tough, even on Classic.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 28, 2015, 04:58:38 AM »
Focus is a 54% boost in damage so long as you're under the magic soft cap (which is ~741, so basically always). You only need to use two spells under Focus to break even, and it lasts over 4 turns if you aren't wasting a lot of time on picking a command. The only time it isn't worthwhile is if you're ramming the damage cap already.

Also Darkbolt is only fractionally stronger than a basic Fire spell (1.6x multiplier vs 1.5x) while also being significantly slower (2.5 s cast time vs 1.8 s) so it is actually worse on DPS. It would be useless if there weren't a bunch of earlygame FF4 bosses that require Dark damage for medals.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:11:09 AM by hinode »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2306 on: July 28, 2015, 10:39:44 AM »
Final Fantasy and the Goblet of RNG: Grinding for Summoner's Record Materia alongside PalaCecil. The Cecils have been more useful than I expected due to my surplus of 5-star Swords making basically -any- character who can hold a sword a force to be reckoned with even at level 1... It also means I'm wasting less EXP since all the 'good' swordsmen are already level-capped.
Dear God the Macalania Woods fight was a pain. I went in there without preparing, thinking a puny classic dungeon would just crumble before my team of Level 60-ish characters and instead I get greeted with Spherimorph nulling all elements but -WATER-, nerfing half my damage output plus countering everything and spamming MT Gravity on its own turns. Once I finally grind my way through that with nothing but physicals, I enter the next boss fight at lowish health from all the Gravity-spamming. And THAT boss comes with its own Silence Field Effect completely ruining my healer's ability to heal -anything-, even with the Healer Attack record materia! And he just LOVES spamming MT, killing 1-3 PCs on the first turn. Ugh, Record Keeper Classic isn't playing around anymore. Gonna have to actually -pay attention- to the game, I suppose.

After wasting 60+ stamina on that, I've since gotten my revenge on both its Classic and Elite forms, but it was still frustrating to lose to a Classic fight.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 28, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
Well, I still have a bit of an SNES FF itch, so time to fire up FF5.

FF5 - My dark secret: I never beat this game. Never even got past World 2 because I kept getting distracted by grinding and bad gaming habits I had as a teenager. So, in the interest of actually completing this run for once, I will be doing no grinding (for job skills/levels. I'll probably do some minimal grinding for Blue Magic I want. To that end, I'm also looking up what Blue Magic is available in each dungeon, to minimize overlevelling/skilling). Additionally, since I haven't actually explored what all the classes have to offer, I won't be doing a Fiesta challenge, BUT in the interests of keeping characters completely unique, I'm setting the restriction that once a character uses a class, ONLY that character can use that class for the rest of the game.

Damn why do the GBA versions insist on using Amano art character portraits. So ugly. Galuf looks blazed out of his mind.

The game also wastes your time with waiting for sprite animations to a much higher degree than 6 did. Thank god for frameskip.

So about 40 minutes and two autobattle dungeons in (in game timer; more like 15 real time) and I finally have jobs. Uh, OK game. Lock the part that makes you interesting behind 40 minutes of gameplay cool.  I decide that my first round of jobs will be Blue Mage (Bartz), Monk (Lena), WM (Galuf), and Knight (Faris).  Once I get Learning I throw Bartz in Thief for a bit until I get Find Passages because god that's a tedious gimmick the early FF games had way too much of and I don't want to deal with it. Once I get Find Passages I switch back and probably won't deal with Thief again.

The game really is tedious for the first hour or so, especially plot wise. Galuf being ridiculous aside it's all forced drama about characters we don't yet have a reason to give a shit about. There's a lot of bad here that I could spend basically all my time complaining about but after a certain point I just stopped caring and deleted it all. Suffice it to say, nothing special is going on here and I probably won't have anything to say unless it's egregiously bad because I just can't care.

Up through Walse Tower, Monk is pretty clear MVP thanks to innate barehanded/Counter, with WM being a very clear second. Blue Mage will pick up later but I'm pretty sure I'm done with Knight.

For now, switching Galuf to BM but will probably switch him to Summoner once I get better summons, and then swap back and forth between WM and Summoner as I get access to spells. Maybe switch him to RM for a while to get Dualcast later?  I switch Faris to Mystic Knight with Two-Handed, and Bartz to Time Mage since he has Learning and my Blue skillset is really pathetic right now, and switch back to BluM once he gets a few levels in TM and a better set of Blue skills. Lenna will be taking a brief dip into Berserker but I'll ultimately be switching her back once I get the Berserk skill.

One thing I find interesting so far is that this game gives you an "airship" really early, but in spite of that your exploration options still end up being fairly linear. It's one of the more well done thing about this game, and frankly most of the early FFs in general. Almost immediately you have unimpeded access to all of the towns you've visited previously while still not having complete access to the whole world, which is very necessary since shops don't necessarily all carry the same things. I think this is why games like Suikoden 3 drove me up the wall--like in this game, shops carry different things so you have to go back and forth a lot, but S3 has you trudging back and forth between uninteresting, tedious dungeons that take a good chunk of time to get through, but in these early FF games once you've made it somewhere once all the backtracking can be done in a very brief time. Some strikingly good design decisions on that front, really.

Get up through Karnak Castle. Beastmaster with Barehanded is really, really good through this section, and 2handed makes the basic attack of Mystic/Knight pretty good. The fire boss is easily rekt by Blizzara and Blizzara Sword, each breaking 4 digits roughly 4 hours into the game. Yay.

The timed section gives me a reset because I tried to get everything but ended up running in circles a couple times. This ends up being a blessing, because on my second try I learn Aera, which I missed the first time. I missed Death Claw from the Iron Claw, but not a huge deal. Bartz can finally be useful...ish.

Quitting here, but a few more comments. While the game makes the oh-so-stupid decision to withhold jobs from you for a good hour or so, once that flood gate opens you're goddamn swimmin' in options. 3 hours 30 minutes game time (Probably 2 hours real time? yay frameskip. You the real MVP) and I have almost all of the jobs and the game's really opened up.

Thinking about what jobs to take, I'll probably stick with my current party for now, with the exception of switching Lenna off Berserker for Beast Master, so I can beef up my Blue Mage more easily. Once I get that, I'll switch between Monk with !Control secondary and Berserker with Bare-Handed secondary as appropriate, then once I get the Berserk secondary settle back into Monk for the long haul (IIRC the Earth Crystal jobs don't open up for a while). Once I get Shiva and Ifrit I'll switch off BM into Summoner with White secondary, then go into WM as new skills unlock, and probably abandon BM for good. Once I get enough levels into Mystic Knight to keep casting -ara blades, I'll probably transition into Ninja because that seems obvious.

Yeaaaaaah this is scratching my wholly-unnecessary-planning itch way better than FF6 did.

Is Geomancer even worth using in this game? They're really a crapshoot between the different FFs. FF3o's sucks, but FF3DS's is awesome, Mog's dances suck, FFT's is good, etc. etc.

Anyway done for the night. The game is like the polar opposite of FF6 so far. Everywhere FF6 shines FF5 is just awful, but the parts where FF6 fell apart FF5 shows a lot of promise in.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:38:52 PM by Makkotah »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 28, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
Geomancers are by no means great, but Gaia is a useful secondary for mages.  It's free.  In any area with wind slash it rules pretty much.  It's also good in swamps, where you can get a multi target instant death move.  There is like one swamp in the game though.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2309 on: July 28, 2015, 01:57:42 PM »
Lost Dimension: New game from Atlus on the PS3 and Vita. It is Anime Mafia the Psychic Dystopian TRPG. It has a XCOM/Valkyria Chronicles-style TRPG battle system with less FPS-inspired elements. You start the game with 11 PCs who are all various flavors of ESPers and tasked with saving the world by climbing a Persona 3-esque tower, that just so happens to be made up of a bunch of mini TRPG maps. Also, there's a traitor in your midst, and you must navigate conversations VN-style between missions to determine who is voted to be lynched at the end of each chapter. This also all ties into the Assist attacks and Sphere-grid-like Character progression systems that rely on ally Trust Levels and such. In a nice bit of story/gameplay integration, this translates to things like Assist attacks being less likely between characters who don't trust eachother or characters with high Trust being able to help other PCs learn their skills from their skill trees.

The psychic powers themselves create some interesting skill trees. Instead of the usual elemental-themed special attacks, each character's build is based on a type of ESP. For example, the main character has limited precognition, so his abilities tend to increase accuracy, critical rate, and evasion. Whereas the character with psychometry can read the history of items he touches like an ancient katana and gain badass katana-wielding skills or learn more about an enemy each time he attacks it (and thus increasing his critical rate against it, etc). There's a few of the more standard skills like Pyrokinesis, Telekinesis, Electromagnetic Manipulation, Psychic Healing, Teleportation, and Self-Levitation. But each of those is important for rounding out the available skill trees. The most interesting one to me is the Synchronization/Mental Linking power, which allows that PC to "Link" himself to another PC and take on their stat builds, with various modifications he gets over the course of his skill tree, and a few unique abilities like Pain Share against his enemies. Just a really interesting take on the whole "Psychic Powers" thing that I hadn't really seen much in JRPGs. Borrowing a bit from Valkyrie Profile, when a character is 'lynched', you get to assign their powers to another PC.

It also has Gordon from Disgaea in it (or someone doing an impressive soundalike) and he is hamming it up and it is awesome.

It seems like something the DL would like at any rate.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:09:16 PM by DjinnAndTonic »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: July 28, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »
Final Fantasy De Profundis (Out Of The Depths Of Autobattle) - Black power day, and you people already know what that means. Honed Fira and Blizzara Strike to R4, will likely do the same to Drain Strike. -If- I care, I might hone Dark or Drain to R4 as well, but I'm running out of 3* spells to hone (maybe Biora? I mean, I -may- stop using Vivi eventually). I'm also taking Summoner to grind out his damn RM2 because life is a desolate, hollow husk.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:27:38 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: July 28, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
Final Fantasy I Can't Think Up Cool Names Like You Guys: I have a bunch of people at level 50+, but my main party is Tidus/Cloud/Vivi/Yuna. Garnet I was not badass enough to get her Record Materia in time, otherwise she'd be on the main team. The rest are Sephiroth, Squall, Wakka, Balthier, etc. Basically, people I either wanted their Record Materia, or who have found good use within my party for various battles. My fifth member I'm deciding between Quistis and Selphie, but for now I've decided to farm Black Mage up to 50, since I'm getting walled pretty hard by multi-boss fights and randoms are not being quite as laughable anymore.

Fire Emblem If: Bought a NN3DS and Fire Emblem from Japan so I could play it on my way to/at DLCon. Currently on Chapter 6. I have access to the Japanese e-Shop even in the desolate wastes of Canadia, so life is going to be good. Also it's helping me learn Japanese, which I've traditionally always had a strange mental block with. So that's good! I'd have more to share, but frankly I'm impressed I can even keep up with the gist of what's happening. As a note, though: When I don't know what's being said, Nohr is very unsympathetic. Just based on actions, I have almost 0 reason to go help them over Hoshido. I mean, Hoshido family actually hugged me. WTF Nohr. Oh well, as long as I get my Butler Husbando I'm happy.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2312 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:18 PM »
In defense of the Nohr family... it's only the Dad/Emperor who's evil. And cartoonishly so, even his own children are like "Fuck... Dad's evil isn't he? Good thing we're on your side, even if we're not on Hoshido's side."

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: July 28, 2015, 05:01:08 PM »
Final Fantasy What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love And Autobattling? - I unlocked Summonspring II during black power grinding. Trash mobs, kiss my shiny metal ass. I'd go back to slaving away at the new dungeons, but honing more stuff from black power takes priority.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:03:41 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
RK: all my equipment is upgraded, I don't know what I'll do with all these upgrade materials. Maybe I'll pull from the next banner after all , to be the only cool guy with Bio Blaster and to use these materials on something. Or I'll upgrade inventory and hoard.

This game really gives 0 fucks about FF1. No equipment, no event, only one character and he's ugly, way less levels than any other FF and we're only ever going to get one more.
Even FF2 gets five times more respect
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:50:18 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: July 28, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »
It's been almost a year and they -still- haven't finished the FF1 portrait room. I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever being the case. Also, I'm waiting for you to get Sabin's weapon just so you're forced to use that waste of a slot (jk). They CLEARLY should have given him Black Magic 5 as a nod to his mage niche in FF6!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:50:31 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: July 28, 2015, 07:52:40 PM »
Tbh that wouldn't be so bad, as I don't have a 5* fist weapon! And Sabin has pretty high attack. And the sb looks REALLY COOL.

Now that the summoner R2 is out I realize that I don't really care about it. Summons: still pretty useless

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: July 28, 2015, 08:25:33 PM »
If reddit is anything to go by DeNA would've been a lot richer if they had made Sabin's relic sb Suplex instead of Fire Dance.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: July 28, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
Tbh that wouldn't be so bad, as I don't have a 5* fist weapon! And Sabin has pretty high attack. And the sb looks REALLY COOL.

Now that the summoner R2 is out I realize that I don't really care about it. Summons: still pretty useless

Summons are the ultimate farming tool, really. Not all that much else. It's okay, though, I R3'd Quake for lunch.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: July 28, 2015, 11:28:30 PM »
Quake really does sound way superior to summons
And I haven't even bothered to craft Quake yet. I got R4 Poiznra before R1 Quake. No regrets.

I used Leviathan against the weak to water FF12 lizardmen, it did passable damage once and that was it. Not worth the slot at all

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:24 PM »
The Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh trio are fractionally weaker than Quake (5.5x vs 5.6x) but obviously way harder to hone. Maybe the Golden Saucer event will change that, but it's a long ways away.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2321 on: July 28, 2015, 11:51:03 PM »
If anywhere on the internet in English is anything to go by DeNA would've been a lot richer if they had made Sabin's relic sb Suplex instead of Fire Dance.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: July 28, 2015, 11:57:38 PM »
Focus is a 54% boost in damage so long as you're under the magic soft cap (which is ~741, so basically always). You only need to use two spells under Focus to break even, and it lasts over 4 turns if you aren't wasting a lot of time on picking a command. The only time it isn't worthwhile is if you're ramming the damage cap already.

Also Darkbolt is only fractionally stronger than a basic Fire spell (1.6x multiplier vs 1.5x) while also being significantly slower (2.5 s cast time vs 1.8 s) so it is actually worse on DPS. It would be useless if there weren't a bunch of earlygame FF4 bosses that require Dark damage for medals.

Are you talking about Black Mage's second Soul Break?  Because Vivi's is nowhere near a 50% boost to damage (I get <6000 damage compared to >4500 non-boosted) and you only get two spells off during it unless you aren't doing jack except hitting Skip turn with your other characters.  Vivi's default SB is utter crap.

Got a second copy of Selphie's weapon, so this is my first 6-star anything.  hashtagSelphie

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: July 29, 2015, 12:14:54 AM »
Black Mage's second SB, IIRC, is no better than Vivi's Default. Your experience sounds like you're comparing inadvertently the effect of a spell pre-Focus under Mental Break and a post-Focus spell not under Break.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: July 29, 2015, 12:40:29 AM »
No, Magic Signet is better (+50% Mag for 30 seconds at speed 3 vs +30% Mag for 25s at speed 3), it's just that Black Mage is irredeemable rubbish. Also Magic Signet locks you into using the Light Rod for now. For reference Regen is 30s, Boost is 25s, Retaliate is 15s long, and all of these durations scale with battle speed.

RK uses Magic^1.65 in its magic damage formula up to ~742 (nearly impossible to hit even with 7++ synergy rods) so damage does not increase linearly with stat buffs.