Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194657 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2100 on: July 16, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »
Final Fantasy The Silicone Autobattle - Still plugging away at Yuna's event, halfway through the elite fights right now. One of the fights gave me a bunch of black orbs but it left me ONE. ORB. AWAY. from being able to forge another rarity-3 to R4. Oh well, what I have should carry me through fine. I'd also like to point out that Isaaru's sprite is hilariously adorkable. And the sprite aeon intros are pretty fun too. Some of the details on this game's fanservice are pretty clever.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 17, 2015, 12:51:09 AM »
RK: I went straight to Elite Seymour instead of doing filler stages. He's not very threatening (magic brakdown > him) but he's durable, unlike real Seymour.
He has Boss Protect, which seems to last forever, so Vivi is very important here.

Instead of honing a ton of skills, I'm trying to focus on getting a few key skills to satisfying levels.  I have a R4 Firaga (soon R5 thanks to all those orbs), and a R2 Waterja on Vivi.
This has paid off well here, as I don't think I'd have had enough juice to beat Seymour if I had cared to get R3/4s on everything. (or at least I wouldn't have gotten the mastery)

Waterja is amazing, I'm saving all the greater orbs to hone it. It hits a weakness on no one, but does like 8000 damage against durable enemies, and it's resisted by absolutely nobody, so who cares? It's also by far the easiest -ja spell to hone and make. And I really like saying "Water? Ja!" with a fake German accent before casting it.

3DS: Bought a tiny screwdriver and changed the SD card. I thought saves would be saved inside the DS and not inside the memory card. Nope. Lost all my progress on Soul Hackers unless I change the card back (uuuuuugh) And I was at the very end.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2102 on: July 17, 2015, 01:33:51 AM »
Yeah the new 3DS is stupid with its SD card stuff. I hope their next handheld is better about this. And not fucking region locked. Seriously why Nintendo.

FFRK: I also just skipped to The Seymour fight with my best party and newly level broken Yuna. Beat it easily enough but due to the fucking trash mobs I missed Master clearing the whole dungeon by ONE fucking medal. One! Argh. I guess I don't really need the master rewards but... (Yulie voice) that's kinda disappointing...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 17, 2015, 01:34:22 AM »
3DS: Bought a tiny screwdriver and changed the SD card. I thought saves would be saved inside the DS and not inside the memory card. Nope.

Varies from game to game! Yeah I don't get it either.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 17, 2015, 01:40:54 AM »
R2 Waterja

Did they seriously release Waterja before Waterga or was that released in the intervening time since I ragequit?

Fenny, you do know you can like copy data between SD cards right?  If you are desperate there is cheap USB ones, but if you own/know someone that owns a laptop I would legit see if you have one built in.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 17, 2015, 02:14:51 AM »
They released Waterga in-between.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 17, 2015, 02:38:10 AM »
Is it weird that I like Yuna's theme way more than the vocal song that it's based on?

Also I just realized that I am exactly one Major Fire Orb and one Major Dark Orb away from a complete orb set. I'll get the Major Dark from Cecil's boss rush (pretty sure I could handle it now, but I want Waterja R2 and Diara R4 so I can smash the Scarmigliones harder) and... ooh, looks like I have a reason to bother with the Elite Undead Evrae fight now.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 17, 2015, 02:55:05 AM »
Final Fantasy 3 Dual Play of Dualness...duality: Just beat Garuda.  And yes, I totally played this song both times I fought him.  I wiped once in the NES version and twice in the DS version though the first was pretty much entirely my fault.  Winning run I had insurance and turned Refia into a Dragoon (Luneth was already one), threw away more cash to get more Wind Lances and yeah.

So more analysis nonsense!  Not much because short segments:

-Vikings aren't bad on offense as people think they are in the NES version.  What really is going on is every enemy in Goldor's Mansion resists Lightning, which is the first dungeon (besides maybe the sewers) you're plausibly trying Viking out, and just about every weapon Viking has in the NES version is Lightning elemental.  I tested this outright because at first I thought accuracy was bad then Viking got 4 hits in and did crappy damage to the point where I realized it's damage per hit was way lower than Thief's which made no sense (Thief of course gets more hits, so would do more damage anyway), so tested Bolt vs. Ice and Fire, the former being notably stronger (Level 2 vs. Level 1 spell) and the level 1 spells did more.  That said, Viking isn't anything special on offense, and you do have to make sure he only equips 70% Accuracy weapons because the 60% ones suck; to be fair, Morning Star is the strongest weapon for Viking at the moment, and is 70% accuracy.  For reference most good fighter weapons are 80%.

-Goldor's Mansion is kind of uneventful in both versions beyond what I said above.  The only thing stand out is Back Attacks can be a real bitch in both versions.

-Goldor himself...I wanna say the NES version is better designed, because he's consistent.  The DS version has very wildly varying difficulty, because he has so many attacks,  many of which are inaccurate status moves, but he sometimes focus his physical for high damage (though I had a low defensive team overall to be fair), and rarely throws a big MT Thundara or some such at you.  To be fair again, in the NES version I intelligently turned my Black Mage into a Karateka (because of available equipment mostly)for that fight knowing he has stupid high magic defense.  DS version, Arc, my Black Mage, could still do SOME damage with Blizzaga, then he runs out of level 4 charges, and became useless outside of being an Item Boy.  When I say useless, I don't mean magic damage sucks, I mean "Anything below Blizzaga cannot break his magic defense." 

-One thing to note about Goldor's Mansion that differs notably in both is the potion situation.  DS version I used way more potions (though, Red Mage vs. White Mage scenario kicking in here), but Potions are both significantly worse in the DS version, but also actually available in Amur; in NES version, only HI Potions, which are way more expensive, are available there.  This is part of why you can get away with lesser MP healers in the DS version this late.  I'm not convinced that says the dungeon is harder so much as how my team situations in both were.

-Dragon Spire is changed so much in the DS version, I had forgotten.  NES version it almost kind of counts as a full dungeon, with that stupid invisible path gimmick.  DS version, you run up a few small rooms, and then the top is finally when stuff might happen.  There's still randoms, but significantly less than expected.

-Garuda himself is a bitch in both versions, not shockingly (...no pun intended.)  In the NES version, you're very at the mercy of the RNG, for multiple reasons, a big one being that in my first run, I saw at least 5 hits fully miss, in the winning run, I saw 5 connects of 700+ damage, with 3 of them breaking 4 digits, to give you an idea.  Also you realistically cannot win without grinding unless you use 4 Dragoons; even if they're not fully equipped, just the whole "forced turn skip" gimmick of the NES version is huge.  In the DS version, you don't NEED a Dragoon, but damned if it doesn't make the fight way harder.  One thing I had forgotten is Garuda's defense is stupid good; Thief Refia normally does like 500-700 damage against generic enemies; Garuda took 142.  Refia with no JLevels AND Job Sickness using Jump?  1900.  Though, worth noting while Garuda's defense is massive, his Magic defense is unnoteworthy.  Arc's summons did 4 digit damage to him (and Titan, as a reminder, is 100% chance to do damage, albeit, lowest damage of the summons, but still competent), which with his 10k HP, it might be possible to beat Garuda with just a lot of healing, and Summon spam...but hell if I would want to try that!

-Job change time!  Both games, I swapped from Black Mage -> Evoker/Conjurer.  In the NES version, Black Mage remains useful for status purposes, but I figured why not change things up?  Conjurer is less reliable, but makes up for it by having real damage vs. bosses thanks to Titan (who is stupid good for the time in the NES version), and when it comes to Shiva and Ramuh, Conjurer gets either "one enemy dies" or "all enemies are incapacitated."  Ifrit...meh, healing isn't worth it due to randomness, and if I want damage, I'll go with Titan.  Black Mage in the DS version, by contrast, stops really being worthwhile here, for a few big reasons, notably, Rods make anything Black Mage can do from level 3 and below completely obsolete, and Summons tend to be better damage than agas.  To be fair, Evoker's best consistent damage is Hyper which is worse than Blizzaga and Thundaga, which combined they have equal castings of, HOWEVER, the more random summons do higher damage, and while Spark and Icen are inconsistent with their status (unlike the NES version where they're stupid good), Heatra's healing is ludicrously awesome so it's good to use on randoms as it either murders something dead, or helps remove some stress on your healer.

-Remember my rant about Aria's death being awful in the DS version?  Yeah, Allus' father's death is handled way better for the exact reasons I laid out.  They kept it simple and short.  You see him appear, hold the knife, then the knife goes into his stomach and he falls over.  There's no forced drama, no attempt to make it look more amazing and serious than the kiddy sprites can make it appear, just simple and straight to the point (...no pun intended.)   Now it's not a careworthy scene because seriously, it's some guy we literally met this very scene, there's no emotional impact.  Even though yes it's Allus' dad, we met Allus about 5 minutes ago, so we haven't gotten emotionally invested in him either.  At least with Desch, he was with our team for a few dungeons.  This is a flaw shared with the NES version naturally, and the main point here is serious stuff doesn't look silly in this graphical style if you don't try to make it look more dramatic than this graphical style is capable of.

Last thing I'll say is this replay is reminding me why I thought the DS version of FF3 is actually a decent remake:

While I struggle to say it's the better game, one thing it notably doesn't do is screw up things that the NES version didn't screw up.  As in, major flaws the DS version has for the most part are things the original game had, showing it's not a version issue, but either a problem with the game's core (like poor plot/characters), or it's just their refusal to add modern polish that should be there (SAVE POINTS DAMN IT!!!)  The things it does worse than the NES version aren't really deal breakers either, like Capacity Points seem better handled incentive to not change jobs like mad compared to Job Sickness.

It really contrasts FF4DS where-in that did explicitly screw things up compared to the 2D version, the most obvious thing is the difficulty, which is wildly inconsistent with major spikes and drops and there's actual fights where you just lose based on the RNG.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 17, 2015, 07:05:35 AM »
3DS: Bought a tiny screwdriver and changed the SD card. I thought saves would be saved inside the DS and not inside the memory card. Nope. Lost all my progress on Soul Hackers unless I change the card back (uuuuuugh) And I was at the very end.

Well where did you expect the saves to be?  Anyway, it's complicated.   It IS stored on the memory card, but Nintendo is crazy fearful that somebody will digitally download games to 100 different 3DSes or something, so even if you copy your saves over it'll assume you're an evil pirate by default.  You have to back up the saves to your computer first then import them or something.  (Since I was doing a 3DS memory card -> New 3DS transition, I ended up transferring over Wi-Fi instead, not particularly trusting Nintendo here.)  So it's doable to get your saves on the new memory card but annoying.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 17, 2015, 08:01:12 AM »
Saves don't take up a lot of space, so I expected them to be saved inside the 3DS' internal memory, this would have been the most sensible decision. But yeah Nintendo hasn't made the most sensible decisions regarding memory ! They handled Xenoblade Chronicles with lots of incompetence.

Xenoblade Chronicles is the only new 3DS exclusive, but there is no way to play the eshop Xenoblade Chronicles without swapping sd cards, which they deliberately made a lot more difficult on the new 3DS when it was easy on the old one.

RK: They made every water spell available at the same time and made Waterja an event reward.
I beat Undead Evrae. This event is the first time Cloud feels like one of the weakest links in my team. Vivi, Yuna, Wakka were better. This feels weird.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 17, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
The problem is that I'm pretty sure there are now laws in parts of the US/Canada that REQUIRE screws over small things babies might digest.  (Kids eating batteries is really bad times it turns out.)  I suspect that was their legal department requiring them to make it annoying as hell to replace that, along with desire to use micro-SD rather than 3DS accepting normal memory cards.

Saves can take up more space than you'd think when you're lazy, so I dunno about that.  I'm fine with them on memory cards, I'd just make saves always swappable & easy if I was worried about piracy, and try to only lock down the games part.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 17, 2015, 10:44:42 AM »
Iirc Waterga was added along with the first batch of FF12 dungeons and the second batch of Ff13 dungeons, which contained bosses weak to Water but not Ice or Lightning for pretty much the first time in the game. Then Waterja was added when Balthier's event went live and it was a quest reward for the last elite stage.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 17, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »
Final Fantasy Road, River And Autobattle - Welp, done with Yuna's event. Evrae Altana was a total non-factor, Photon Laser unfocuses too much and he's not threatening outside a rare Petrify Gaze. I tried blinding him for lolsies, didn't pan out. Slow was more than enough, though. As for the final stage, the randoms are actually more complicated than Seymour Natus, since they get 3HKOed by physicals without Boost and run in four-round sessions. Reta-meta to the rescue, then. I didn't get to cheese the hell out of Natus with either Carbuncle or Runic Blade (didn't get her RW in the winning run and I'd need to run both Garnet and Yuna in order to sanely stock both Carbuncle and Diara into my ability loadout. Lazy), but Magic Breakdown completely trivializes him, since Mortibody's Desperado is complete junk (wow, sub-10HKO damage without -any- buffing/debuffing, I can't begin to tell how impressed I am. BUT IT'S MT). Regardless, mastered everything, championing even Seymour's fight in spite of an underwhelming performance there. Full-medaling the randoms makes a huge difference.

When the boss rush kicks in, though, I'm likely running Garnet+Yuna for it, since stacking Diara+Carbuncle and picking up a couple extra White Magic tools would be nice and Cloud honestly isn't contributing that much offensively either (no randoms for reta-meta to shine and he ain't hitting a single relevant weakness in those fights). Regardless, today I'm amassing upgrade materials for Balthier's R6 lance and dark orbs for further forging. Tomorrow, I'll have to juggle non-elemental orb and gil farming, since the honing this week dug a hole in my pocket.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:50:44 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 17, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
RK feels like a civ game between DL players except we can't attack each other

Wish I could invade Snow's game and steal his dumb technology/orbs

Edit: Snow is boasting about his military strength above but I'm sure it's a bluff
 I am Gandhi and have begun work on a wonder: a R5 Waterja
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:22:46 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 17, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
Man, I think you have a better loadout than I do, you're like the poster boy for Gladstone Gander gatcha antics for the game here in the DL. I've split my luck roughly 50/50 (before I got Vivi's staff, I had a no-5* 11-pull and my pulls on Balthier's banner were trash. Genji Armor isn't that great an option and neither is the Emerald Shield, though the Emerald Shield at least ruled the Yuna event). I'm still waiting for a more interesting staff than the generic R5 from FF5 and -some- natural 5-rarity hat/bracer at all. The forged R6 Ten-Gallon Hat can only last for so long.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I'm actually considering farming Greater Non-Elemental Orbs for R2 Mental Breakdown (I already have R2 Armor and Magic Breakdown, will probably stay there for A-BDown because eventually we'll have the Steals for physical debuffing). I'm still waffling on whether I R2 Firaja or save it for R3 Waterja, but I need so. Many. Greater. Ice. Orbs. Regardless, R4 Comet sounds like a good goal. And I could also farm Greater Earth Orbs for R3 Quake, but Ruinga looms.

EDIT #JohnI'mOnlyGrefter: FUN FACT: during the Seymour Natus fight, I picked up Wakka's RW because I wanted to stack Armor/Mental Breakdown for longer. So, I pile Wakka's SB on him. He casts Protect before it runs out. Later in the fight, I use the RW. He casts Protect AGAIN. Tidus and Cloud fweem his ass for 9999 a pop for a round. This is the first time I've ever seen Vit-0 in action.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:22:44 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: July 17, 2015, 02:56:23 PM »
Final Fantasy 14 1.x Plot:  Watched this on Youtube because **** if I can find this, since I was curious about backstory to ARR.  I saw a video about Gridania arc and later Limsa Lominsa (the latter because it had stuff AFTER 1.0, Gridania video ended only 2 hours in; I skipped all the stuff where the stories converge until 1.x starts.)

First off, the two early storylines!  Both of them have this major issue that I've ranted about in chat a lot that there's only 2 songs that play throughout every single cutscene.  Either the respective town theme plays, or this other song which has this "IT'S A MYSTERY!" vibe, with some allusions to FF7's Anxious Heart, except without any of what made Anxious Heart work, and being overplayed to **** hurts (even if it was a good song, overplaying something that isn't a battle theme kills any effect it has...unless it's the Chaos Wars theme <.<)  This makes all the cutscenes feel the same droll, boring nonsense as either it's the characters talking to the silent protagonist in all "OH IT'S YOU! I WILL NOW TALK TO YOU ABOUT HAPPY STUFF ^_^!  CAN YOU HELP ME ^_^!?" style nonsense, or "Hey, what's going on, this looks like it might be mildly bad!"  Gridania's storyline is especially bad because I feel like absolutely nothing happens.  It's about some kid being angry and so he burns down a tree, and no one thinks to stop him beyond "NO! DON'T!"  Look, I get it, you don't want to hurt him...but the CONJURER GUILD MASTER IS RIGHT THERE, I'm pretty sure he could cast a Repose or something, knock the kid out harmlessly, then you can detain him.  This isn't some military mastermind or bad ass mercenary, it's a freaking farm-boy.

Limsa Lominsa wasn't as bad; basically about Pirate and Sahagin stuff, still feels like not much goes on.  To it's credit, there is a fight scene with Y'shtola and some jerkwad near the end which is kind of cool, and a better conclusion to that storyline than what Gridania had. 

There is more movement and action in FF14 1.x's cutscenes, though the hero comes off as just peripheral even more so than ARR.  Like, s/he's just there to give the the NPCs someone to exposit nonsense about.  Your hero doesn't really do anything until it's like "ok, here's a boss fight, you will now be bad ass and win."  ARR still had the Mary Sue Protagonist vibe, but at least the game felt self aware and didn't try to beat around the bush.  Yes, you're super awesome perfect guy/girl chosen by the gods, now go be awesome our awesome chosen one!  This is especially note-able in the 2.x storyline and Crystal Tower where they make lampshade hanging comments like "Well, since you're the resident expert on saving the world, wanna do it again?"  It's not good story-telling, but it does give a sense of honesty.  1.x tries the usual "YOU'RE A REAL CHARACTER, HONEST!" even though you're clearly not.  The issue though is while FF14 1.x has active cutscenes, nothing really notable goes on.  Sure, characters are walking more, moving more, but it's all superfluous actions, so it's completely wasted.

1.0 is really boring in general even after the sides merge.  The Walking Sands intro really contrasts ARRs.  In 1.0, you have Minfillia (who is wearing way less clothes than ARR I should note) just go on about...well...stuff.  That's really all it is, stuff.  ARR, when you meet her, you also meet the rest of the Scions, so you know who your "would be party members if this was a solo RPG" are,a quick glimpse at their personalities, etc.   It flows better than exposition dump to a silent character.  After the walking sands, stuff happens...which is an improvement over the pre-merging arc, but the stuff isn't interesting outside of maybe Ifrit showing up, and I guess Gaius vs. the 4 Scions was neat only because "Hey look! ACTION SCENE!!!" though honestly I think ARR's Thancred + Yuigiri vs. Sahagin Army was a better scene, which shortly after is followed up by Merlwyb being awesome with guns, and Thancred/Yuigiri basically showing up for "Hey, don't forget about us THAT quickly!" just for a conclusion to their awesome.

Now to credit the game, stuff AFTER 1.0, which I think is 1.23, is significantly better.  Here we finally have what actually feels like a legitimate story-line with legitimate stakes.  We get an actual primary antagonist in Nael, we have Gaius there as this questionable extra element, a legitimate threat in the Dalamud Moon, and a sense of scale.  I wouldn't say this story is great, but it's a drastic improvement over the 2 hours of, well, nothing I felt the 1.0 storyline was.  On top of this, cut-scenes actually make use of their activity, since actual things happen, like short fight sequences, characters doing necessary poses, Nael being basically Sephiroth while trying to shout at the camera "I AM NOT SEPHIROTH!!!"...basically, stuff is now happening so cutscene quality matters now. 

Cool thing is Gaius who is basically a case of being a rationally thought out super villain.  They want to Conquer Eorzea for the Empire, not destroy it utterly.  Gaius is also quick to note how much can go HORRIBLY WRONG with Nael's plan and that people are just too quick to fall for his false promises.  Oh, he's still evil and even says "I want a country left to conquer" as basically his motivation for helping you.  He's a lesser of two evils, but lesser of two evils is still, you know, evil.  Just because you stop the greater one doesn't mean the other one won't suddenly be a good guy, and 1.x does establish that well, as Gaius is still promising to conquer you, but most would agree Imperial Rule > having the freaking MOON dropped on you, so better to risk Gaius than Nael.  It does help add to his character in ARR where he's pretty much just "Evil General Guy" since now we have a little more context in terms of where he draws the line.

Nael, unfortunately, is kind of boring.  He's just a "I WILL SUMMON THE MOON AND DROP IT ON YOU AHAHAHAH!" ranting lunatic.  This is part of why the 1.x storyline I hesitate to call "good" because the villain which is an integral part of the story is just so generic and dull.   Then he explodes into pixie dust because...magic.  Yeah, I didn't miss him at all in ARR; I know he appears in Coil which is silly seeing as he definitively DIES here.

Lastly, Louisoix is the biggest waste of a UOM Elf I've seen.  He has 3 scenes total, and all he does is go on about Gods and Magic and such which could have explained in like 3 lines.  It says something that his appearance in ARR is more memorable than anything he did in 1.x, and all he did there was erect a barrier that did jack all, and then die. 

Dunno if I'll watch the Ul'dah arc (I have seen the intro, which is the best of the three), though I heard that was easily the best of the 3 arcs.  Think I've seen enough in any event, and I guess if I want to hate myself with more plot exposition with a game I will probably never play, I'll go back to the FF11 Drinking Game.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 17, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »
Final Fantasy Artificial Autobattle - More grindans: already combined that Heat Lance, should finish upgrading it on the next upgrade material daily run which I'm already in the middle of. It'll BARELY outpace the Golden Spear, but it'll have a SB which, from the accounts I've heard, is actually solid instead of crap, which is frankly a leg up for Balthier. It'll also look really good on the boss rushes due to FFX synergy. Plus, having two 5* weapons from different realms is good for synergy and stuff. If the rush doesn't require Tidus for a target mastery, I'm shoving him out of the party for great glory.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:22:39 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 17, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/the-false-bride-elite/

Boss rush requires Tidus for three fights, Wakka and Yuna for two each. Nothing's weak to an available spellblade element and Retaliate isn't worth much without any trash mobs so this would probably be a good opportunity to give Cloud a brief vacation.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 17, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »
Yeah, Cloud being replaced by Garnet is a lock for the run (since I want to abuse Carbuncle and someone else to run Slowga as well would be pretty aces).

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 17, 2015, 07:21:44 PM »
Meeple: There's an explanation for him reappearing in Coil, a plausible one even, but I can't tell you what it is without extremely major Coil spoilers.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 17, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »
Man, I think you have a better loadout than I do, you're like the poster boy for Gladstone Gander gatcha antics for the game here in the DL. I've split my luck roughly 50/50 (before I got Vivi's staff, I had a no-5* 11-pull and my pulls on Balthier's banner were trash. Genji Armor isn't that great an option and neither is the Emerald Shield, though the Emerald Shield at least ruled the Yuna event). I'm still waiting for a more interesting staff than the generic R5 from FF5 and -some- natural 5-rarity hat/bracer at all. The forged R6 Ten-Gallon Hat can only last for so long.

Oh yeah definitely, I'm in a really good position.

I think I kinda focus more on upgrades and exp and specific skills, and I have stupid luck (I had forgotten I had an emerald shield before this event), while you focus more on max stamina and diversifying your portfolio, and you waste way less Timebux IRL.
Like Civ players would focus more on tech or military strength or whatever.
My strategy is probably way worse but I like having a bunch of levelled characters and finishing quests and having maxed equipment.

I really hope my luck won't run out because I can't possibly live with getting only one measly 5* generic spear from 11 pulls, like a peasant. (Or heavens forbid, zero 5*. It happened to me once. Never again. Cannot forget. The pain)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:45:47 PM by Fenrir »

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 17, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »
Fire Emblem IF Hoshido Lunatic Classic-

Running into a snag on chapter 22; tons of promoted mounted units just tear though my defense line and the boss throws a giant fucking fireball that does 10 damage to all my units.  I just don't have the raw defense to survive long enough to heal next turn.

Anyways impressions, I'm playing the casual scrub route because it was cheaper to buy.  Map design is more akin to Awakening but better mechanics makes it more enjoyable to play.  Pair up has been split into guard stance and attack stance.  Guard stance is FE Awakening pair up but with reduced boosted stats and no dual strike.  Dual guards block 100% of support attacks and only block primary attacks after a meter is filled.  Attack stance is having two unit adjacent, the supporting unit attacks 100% of the time but at reduced damage.  Proper use of mages and archers lets you set up an attack stance chain that lets you clear enemies faster than any other FE game.  Enemy units also take advantage of attack/guard stance, making it easier for them to pick off your weaker units. 

My Castle feature is like the base from FE9/FE10 but you can move around instead of just clicking menu options.  Building your armory and shops is quick and easy and upgradable as you move through-out the game.  There's a bunch of dumb things like KILLER BALLISTAS and puppet units you can make to defend your castle from online players.  I don't know, I can't access online in the game.  Then there's Pokemon Amie.  You rub people and they say lewd things (B-Brother! You can't touch me there!).  It's not necessary at all in building support points using this feature if it offends you. 

I can't read moonrunes and just reading translated support logs, so I don't know what's going on in the game.  All I know is the younger royal brothers of both sides are emo jerks and there's a fruity Excellus-like guy who triple crosses you in the most retarded way possible.  Also there's a guy who has a bear as a best friend.  The excuse of why there's grown up children characters is goddamn stupid:  afraid of monsters attack your castle while you're away, they raise the children in a alternate dimension that's also the hyperbolic time chamber and went you go to check on them they're all grown up.  They even ramped up the anime memes here, including a character who only speaks in haikus and Not!Tharja who is actually bisexual for real this time.

My favorite new unit is the blacksmith who not only has the baps (boobs and abs of steel) but can find pretty good weapons randomly based on the damage you deal.  Single weapon locked classes have enhanced crit again and skills are more of in line with flat damage increase/reduction rather than percentage chance of doing things.  Avatar gets their Ignis-like skill at level 10 unpromoted but only 50% x skill chance of activating.  Ironically, his dragon form is completely useless: locked into one range, reduced speed, cannot doubleattack, does magic damage off a weaker magic score, while your plot sword remains strong the whole game.

While FE7 HHM mode is probably the most fun I've had with the series,  FE14 is an easy second and I've only played 1/3rd of the overall story.  I don't understand why Nintendo needs to sit on it until 2016 when it would be a great holiday title.  I'll wait for the English version to play Nohr and Neutral path.  I've invested a little too much in importing for the moment right now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 17, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »
Oh yeah definitely, I'm in a really good position.

I think I kinda focus more on upgrades and exp and specific skills, and I have stupid luck (I had forgotten I had an emerald shield before this event), while you focus more on max stamina and diversifying your portfolio, and you waste way less Timebux IRL.
Like Civ players would focus more on tech or military strength or whatever.
My strategy is probably way worse but I like having a bunch of levelled characters and finishing quests and having maxed equipment.

I really hope my luck won't run out because I can't possibly live with getting only one measly 5* generic spear from 11 pulls, like a peasant. (Or heavens forbid, zero 5*. It happened to me once. Never again. Cannot forget. The pain)

Part of trying to have good levels on most of the stuff I use at R3 is the fact that, as of now, even the JP version hasn't obsoleted the magical R3s yet (and even a fair deal of the physical R3s get plenty of use). I'm not sure having R5s at this point hugely matters, but R4 is a crucial breaking point, which I'm nearly done with on my black magic (as for white magic, all you need is R5 Curaga. I could start honing Curaja too, but it's currently overkill).

The part of diversity also plays into preparing an ampler party. I've been egg-50ing most event characters for that sake, only shrugging that off when I think the PC sucks or the rewards from the events from using them don't feel worth it. See: Wakka, Tidus, Vivi, Garnet, Squall (who I at least took to L50), Red XIII, Balthier, Yuna. Vanille and Lenna used to be primary PCs, so I don't count them, but once they get MCs, they'll rotate back in. I'm also planning on using Quistis/Selphie some, maybe Tifa if I get her a good knuckle (lulz), definitely Steiner... this will likely play into having better general options for different realms in the long term. I should level the NES FF losers for their Mythril at least, but there's a lot of stuff that takes priority.

As for the gatchas... well, I can't deny I've gotten a great loadout in practice as well. Three unique character weapons, a fairly diverse array of 5* weaponry and having enough 5-rarity armor equips to feed a full party depending on the situation is nothing to scoff at. Yours is just shiny, though. And I generally run off the mindset that I'll happily work with what I have. S'been pretty good in terms of results.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 17, 2015, 08:03:58 PM »
Wait in your post, doesn't R3 alternatively mean "3* skill" and "A skill honed two times"?
You should probably level Josef up at one point, both his RMs look like some of the top RMs for melee fighters. (Auto Doublecut being only really good for Retaliate though)

My level50+ club right now is... Sephy, Yuna, Vivi, Cloud, Black Mage (lol), White Mage (lol), Summoner (lol), Bard (lol), Cosplayer of Light, Luneth, Kain, Lenna, Locke, Squall, Wakka, Balthier, Garnet, Snow, Vanille, Tidus. Pretty cool. So many eggs. I can also still pump one dude to level 50 if I want. (...Gladiator?)

Another advantage of your skills is that you can also use two black mages right away, while my second would only have two measly R3 -agas.

Anyway I'm glad I didn't spend my greater earth orbs right away, so I can immediately break the two loser guards in the Ex+. I think I'll go Yuna/Vivi/Vanille/Front row Danjuro Wakka/Cloud for the ex+, Vanille carrying one black magic and one white magic spell. Edit: Oh god I meant Cloud, not fucking Tidus
Regular Ex looks fairly manageable.

Also. I'm liking that Seymour Guado sprite.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:20:47 PM by Fenrir »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 17, 2015, 08:24:52 PM »
FF6 -

Phoenix Cave - Before this, while I was wandering around getting Mighty Guard/WWind and looking for what seems to be the only goddamn relic shop in all of the WoR that sells Earrings, I happened to beat Doomgaze and get Bahamut, so that was nice. After so many dungeons of autobattling wow this kinda kicked my ass... until I lfigured out that Faces were vulnerable to Stop. Then it was a simple matter of managing Zombie/Confuse status and keeping my element nullifying characters alive while blowing everything up with -aga spells and Flare. Funny how I thought status was useless both when I played the game as a child and whenever I replayed it on the PSX, because it shuts down anything that doesn't immediately die to spell spam.  Anyway, killed RDrago and Cutscened my way to feelings and more importantly unlocking Ragnarock / Cursed Shield. 

Rachael's revival scene really missed an opportunity for the final Star Wars Refranse. Only it should have been Locke saying "I love you" and Rachael saying "I know." Oh well, still cute.

Slapped Cursed Shield on Strago (never actually got the Paladin's Shield, so hey) and had a team of scrubs (Locke/Sabin/Shadow) follow him to get Cyan. Since they're not going to be dealing nearly as much damage with spells as Terra/Celes/Relm are, I'm focusing on making them heal/status batteries. Fortunately, the game makes this easy. After scooping up Cyan I swing around and get Gogo. Cyan's dungeon is much shorter than I remember but on the other hand Gogo's is much longer (in that there is any dungeon) so it evens out. In a break from form, possibly because I've been drinking red wine tonight, I name Gogo after Victor Hugo, because both of them have been so angry that they have thrown a baseball through a dog.

Backstreet's Back, All Right? Onward to get spellz.