Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194807 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1975 on: July 11, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »
Dischord (is it even learnable in FF5?)

Nope.

FFRK:  About 80% done with Cecil event, which is hella easy.

Terra Battle:  Realized my phone can play this now so I'm only a year late to the discussion.  I have yet to obtain any ugly old men.  My first pull was an SS rank healer.  Her art is unfortunate though:

That's supposed to be her butt hanging between her legs but it comes off as a giant cameltoe.  And they show her portrait every single time she attacks.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 11, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »
Dischord isn't Blue Magic but Dark Shock/Spark is, and you definately want that - it rounds levels down when used, so it can create new opportunities to use L5 Death.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: July 11, 2015, 10:22:31 PM »
Captain K noooo
Only play one F2P game at once

Soul Hackers:

This conversation:

"Hey, Mister! Did you know that dolphins are super smart? I think if they're smart, they know how to lie. Like they'd be deceitful and plot against us. They'd lull us into security... They might even assassinate the prime minister! Just because they're animals doesn't mean they're innocent. I bet dolphins are just waiting for the moment to strike."

Next boss fight:

I think magic damage is exponential or something because Nemissa is way more nuts than before, when she was already completely nuts.

The damage of my party goes:
- Main character ~60 with physical attacks and he has nothing else.
- Zeed: Slightly less than MC when I keep him levelled
- Demons: Around 30 damage with physicals or spells. Note that demons can disobey and do random shit you don't want them to do at the worst times.
- Nemissa: 280 damage with a 3MP Bufu spell / 8 MP Mabufu. That Mabufu is my only really reliable strong MT damage and is a lifesaver.
Here I'd say that ice immunity walls my team because I'm too reliant on Nemissa for damage, but she can just cast Media every turn instead. She can cast it 23 times before running out of MP.

This is a bit unfortunate since the gameplay is centered around demons yet they are pretty much worthless right now. They can use buffs/debuffs and serve as meatbags. They can also use healing, they're way worse at it than Nemissa but I don't want to rely on Nemissa for healing.

Despite Nemissa, bosses have been pretty rough (this is hard mode) Lots of effective status.

The "More items" app is extremely good, I get unique equipment and gifts all the time.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: July 11, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
Only play one F2P game at once

That's good advice.  I did stop Puzzle & Dragons though!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 11, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »
Dischord isn't Blue Magic but Dark Shock/Spark is, and you definately want that - it rounds levels down when used, so it can create new opportunities to use L5 Death.

Yeah, I did pick that up. More opportunities to slam people with the LX spells is always good.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: July 12, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »
VP2: Are kobold scenes the best part of the game? I think they might be.

What does the gender-switching sealstone even do? I'm tempted to sneak it onto the dais outside Freya's door, but it's a bitch to get up there and I doubt it would actually produce any amusing results.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: July 12, 2015, 01:08:36 AM »
Final Fantasy Autobattle Days Are Over - So yeah, Cecil event makes the Dreadnought Leviathan look good for difficulty. If you WANT, you can even just let Dark Knight Cecil thwack you twenty times and then die as long as ypu don't attack him back. Like in the original! That said, just killing him is faster anyway, and Protectga + Sentinel's Grimoire = Cecil deals as much damage as difficulty 40 randoms. That was utterly pathetic.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: July 12, 2015, 03:11:43 AM »

Huh, invest in Bead futures eh.

Bees?

Fuck why wasn't I up at 4AM to say this first.

No, not the bees? Not the bees not the bees not the beeeeees

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: July 12, 2015, 04:55:54 AM »
Looking up: FF6's Japanese script absolutely had some of the Star Wars references (at the very least, Biggs, Wedge, and the [Millennium] Falcon are there).

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: July 12, 2015, 05:04:19 AM »
Ffrk

Mastered balthier's event, 1st one I've completely beaten. Hurray me.

Got my ff4 squad out for Cecil's rerelease.

Made pld my generic healer for now though rydia not being able to use fire against milon is a shame. I don't have any real good holy attacks yet.

Not that I really need it. This event might be easier than the last one.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 12, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »
Reiska: Yeah I'm talking about the more overt, "Aren't you a little short to be an imperial trooper" stuff, Reiska.

FF6 - Zozo through Magitek Research Lab. Slam Dancers and Hill Gigases in Zozo are scary but fortunately Gau also got a bomb so I had someone with float. Cute that confusing the imps there is something you really really don't want to do since they'll cast vanish on you and guarantee that the Slam Dancers will OHKO.

I spent 5 minutes thinking about my esper setup before remembering it isn't going to matter at all because I'm not playing Evil Type.

The Opera Scene... so, the music restoration patch I used for whatever reason decided that instead of the FF6 SNES opera sound files they would inject an actual operatic rendition of the songs... which on the one hand is kinda cool, since they use the Japanese lyrics and I can finally have the words on the screen mesh with the notes of the song in my brain, but on the other hand really took a lot away from the scene. But honestly I imagine most of my misgivings about the decision are just because it's not emulating my childhood as hard as it possibly could be and I don't actually have any valid criticisms. Ah well.

Lol can you seriously not change Espers until you have more than 4? There doesn't seem to be any way of taking Espers off except for putting a new one on, and since all of mine were already equipped... wow. I know you get Shiva and Ifrit and then a whole shitload of others about the time you'll want to start changing espers but come on that is a serious stupid flaw right there.

Hooooly fucking shit Cid's portrait is hideous. And the whole "Locke doesn't trust Celes anymore" shit is so goddamn manufactured. You're really gonna take Kefka at his word? Celes saving your ass immediately after doesn't tip you off that this is retarded? Whatever.

Sealed Cave is next then. Gonna shelve Gau for now, figure since I'll be forced to use Locke up until the FC I should let him get magic, and beef up Edgar's skillset so I'll have two competent PCs for the first stretch of the WoR. He's definitely way better than I had expected, though. Having access to -ra spells before you get Magicite is all sortsa ridiculous.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: July 12, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »
Reiska: Yeah I'm talking about the more overt, "Aren't you a little short to be an imperial trooper" stuff, Reiska.

FF6 - Zozo through Magitek Research Lab. Slam Dancers and Hill Gigases in Zozo are scary but fortunately Gau also got a bomb so I had someone with float. Cute that confusing the imps there is something you really really don't want to do since they'll cast vanish on you and guarantee that the Slam Dancers will OHKO.

I spent 5 minutes thinking about my esper setup before remembering it isn't going to matter at all because I'm not playing Evil Type.

The Opera Scene... so, the music restoration patch I used for whatever reason decided that instead of the FF6 SNES opera sound files they would inject an actual operatic rendition of the songs... which on the one hand is kinda cool, since they use the Japanese lyrics and I can finally have the words on the screen mesh with the notes of the song in my brain, but on the other hand really took a lot away from the scene. But honestly I imagine most of my misgivings about the decision are just because it's not emulating my childhood as hard as it possibly could be and I don't actually have any valid criticisms. Ah well.

Lol can you seriously not change Espers until you have more than 4? There doesn't seem to be any way of taking Espers off except for putting a new one on, and since all of mine were already equipped... wow. I know you get Shiva and Ifrit and then a whole shitload of others about the time you'll want to start changing espers but come on that is a serious stupid flaw right there.

Hooooly fucking shit Cid's portrait is hideous. And the whole "Locke doesn't trust Celes anymore" shit is so goddamn manufactured. You're really gonna take Kefka at his word? Celes saving your ass immediately after doesn't tip you off that this is retarded? Whatever.

Sealed Cave is next then. Gonna shelve Gau for now, figure since I'll be forced to use Locke up until the FC I should let him get magic, and beef up Edgar's skillset so I'll have two competent PCs for the first stretch of the WoR. He's definitely way better than I had expected, though. Having access to -ra spells before you get Magicite is all sortsa ridiculous.

Re: removing Espers - try to equip a blank slot.

Re: Locke/Celes: I sort of strongly suspect at some point in development the writers planned on having some kind of deeper subplot about that but most of it got scrapped and they just didn't completely scrub it out entirely properly.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 12, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »
The Locke/Celes thing is a relic of developmental ideas that fell through.

Notably, Celes' original concept was going to be sort of a "Kefka-lite" situation when FF6's theme was "Power leads to Corruption!" or some such.  So Celes was going to be a somewhat sociopathic character who was in fact a double agent for the Empire, but her time on the Returners and interactions with Locke made her second guess herself, and actually turn on them.  This scene very much fits in with that, as it'd be the point where Celes gets exposed but she's already decided she's had enough with the Empire.

Somewhere during development, Celes was turned into a more standard "hard as nails female who slowly develops her sensitive side", and I guess they really wanted Celes to leave at this point for whatever reason, so they kept the whole "double agent" thing but shifted it to be more "Kefka's a lying bastard" with Celes doing heroics to prove it.  That's all well and good, but Locke's reaction really doesn't fit.  Why does he trust the evil imperial clown who has would say anything to screw with others over the character who has been his ally for sometime now that has done nothing suspicious since her time on the team?  It's one of the more awkward and forced moments of FF6, in any event, because it feels OoC for Locke, and just to give Celes a reason to overreact to remove her from the team.

So yeah, it was effectively spawned from a plot that got scrapped because the Celes in question that was intended for that scene was removed in favor of the one we got, they just didn't delete the scene entirely.   The original Celes probably would have had a personality making her legitimately suspicious and the fact that she was suppose to be a double agent would have made sense.  The Celes we got, though, is very blatantly Anti-Empire from the moment we meet her, so there's no reason to suspect she's a spy (Cyan aside, who is understandably suspicious for emotional reasons; granted, Cyan gets extra dialog there if he's in your teams, so there's that.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 12, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Cyan ... if he's in your team

lol

OK that makes sense. I'm kinda sad that they didn't go through with that now because it would have made her more interesting. Terra and Celes' character arcs are pretty similar in that regard come to think of it.

Up to just before the FC. No real thoughts. Dramatic scenes is dramatic. Strago's pretty good and I am tempted to spend some time getting good lores for him in the WoB before moving on, especially since he can be gotten as soon as you get the Falcon IIRC. In the spirit of using characters I didn't use as a kid, Locke is basically shelved for the rest of the game aside from the group dungeons. I could also bench Terra and Celes in that same spirit, but they're kinda too good and already both have lots of magic. It's not like it really matters in any case.

Any good rages I should get before moving onto the WoR? I checked a guide and it looked like the only things I'd really want don't open up until the WoR anyway, so I was just gonna do that then unless something neat opened up in the second quarter of the game.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 12, 2015, 04:20:07 PM »
Aspik is nice.  (Giga volt)  chicken lip uses quake, so you can Gaia gear up and abuse that.  To be honest, marshal will continue to wreck the fc, especially the IAF sequence, and magic will mostly eclipse rages in the WoR, though there will be some good options then too.  In a solo challenge you'd probably want Ing for its resistances.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1990 on: July 12, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
You can certainly -find- Strago as soon as you get the Falcon, but you have to get Relm to snap him out of his cult brainwashing~ So, gotta beat Owzer's mansion first.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 12, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
Chimera's decent too, being Aqua Rake with a crap ton of status immunities.

Chicken Lip actually isn't a good rage in the WoB, contrary to popular belief.  On paper it should be amazing but most of what you fight after it's available floats, making the offensive benefits of it really crappy despite how awesome Quake is, and when it would be good in the WoR, you could just have Gau cast Quake outright (there's little reason to hold off on Narshe, seeing as it has some of the best rewards, especially relative to how easy the dungeon is).  The "it heals and damages!" factor doesn't really come up as a result, since most things immune it, so if you want Gau to heal, just have him cast Cure 2, and when damage comes up, you're better off casting Magic.

This is around the point where Rage's stop standing out offensively.  Aspik remains good for the time being, as does Stray Cat, but this is around the time Rage's start becoming more defensively worthwhile.  Chickenlip would have been great if most of the FC wasn't flying enemies, but that's kind of the problem.  I guess Wind Slash is good for the IAF sequence since it hits both sides and nails weaknesses, so Marshall still remains workable.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 12, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »
I've certainly gotten good use out of ChickenLip before. You're underestimating the time it takes to get Quake on everyone; ChickenLip if you are fortunate enough to grab it is available from the start of the post-Falcon WoR, while Quake requires you beat Umaro's Cave then gain 34 AP on every PC you want to use it, which is a notable lag even if you do Umaro's Cave as the absolute first thing in the WoR (which meh, lots of other things have rewards you may want first). But yeah it + maybe a couple L3 spells/Pearl/X-Zone in the early WoR are certainly rage's last gasp offensively.

Otherwise good late-WoB rages have already been covered. Anguiform is a perfectly acceptable substitute for Chimera incidentally. Was there a WoB rage which could use Cyclonic too? Baskervor? I don't recall.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1993 on: July 12, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
OK that makes sense. I'm kinda sad that they didn't go through with that now because it would have made her more interesting. Terra and Celes' character arcs are pretty similar in that regard come to think of it.

Shit was much edgier in the original designs.  I think Terra was going to die at the end and Locke was a Dark Knight so he got all his power from cutting himself.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: July 12, 2015, 09:21:02 PM »
FF5 - Dark Spark, Flamethrower and Missile get. Unsure of whether I should detour for the Blitz Whip or beat Sol Cannon senseless. Is Ronka a point of no-return? Learning 1,000 Needles would likely make my life a lot easier against the Skull Eaters.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: July 12, 2015, 09:55:35 PM »

Shit was much edgier in the original designs.  I think Terra was going to die at the end and Locke was a Dark Knight so he got all his power from cutting himself.

Locke wasn't a Dark Knight.  He was, however, kind of emo and had Runic as his special.  Terra was originally going to be male and the intention was indeed for male!Terra to die, but they figured the story worked better with a female, and reflecting upon it, having a character deal with so much crap and not get a satisfying conclusion would be a dick move.

Also Male!Terra and Emo!Locke were apparently going to be shonen (Friendly) rivals, so that also suggests Male!Terra's personality was going to be way different as well.  If Locke was similar to the Locke we got now, it'd be easy to picture male!Terra s a Cloud or Squall-style protagonist (...not saying those two are the same, because they really aren't, but they could be argued as falling under the same general umbrella if that makes sense.  Basically, Cloud and Squall are more similar to one another than either are to someone like Zidane or Tidus.)

In fact, Male!Terra was originally drawn to look like Squall!

Linking to image since posting it seems to lead to it being too small.

That was extremely early concept art done by Nomura for FF6 in those stages.   Most of the characters should be identifiable for one reason or another (case in point, guy holding Dice is obviously Setzer, male with Bandana is Locke, etc.)  For the ones that are harder to figure out:

Not!Squall in the middle: Male!Terra most likely.  The placement, Nomura's statements about how he feels about certain character roles, and the fact that he's known to reuse designs suggests that's who this character is.

Female in the bottom right-hand corner: Angela, I think her name is; the whore of Nikeah.  I believe she was intended to be playable, and be modeled after the FF5 Beastmaster, whips and everything, as well as suppose to be Cyan's foil of sorts. Sort of process of elimination given the only other Young Adult Female on there is probably Celes given the sword.

Old Woman: Strago's Wife, a Geomancer.  A dropped character whose purpose sounds like it would have been to get into Old Married Couple arguments for comic relief.

I think there's a handful of other Early Nomura concept designs for FF6, but this is the most interesting because it shows the original intended cast.  The others are things like "look at the Figaro Bros., Locke, and Cyan together!" or something along those lines.  Also ones from FF5, but those seem to have been done later in development considering they all more or less look like their in-game selves, save for Bartz's spikey hair.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:57:07 PM by Meeplelard »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: July 13, 2015, 12:01:27 AM »
Post Lonka you will lose Galuf.

FF5 - Rolled earth, got Chemist.  Monk-Time Mage-Bard-Chemist.  Should be alright.

Adamantoise walled me and then I broke a couple of rods on his face.  Trying to work out how to kill so,e Prototypes so I can get some Dark Matter.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:00 AM »
What does the gender-switching sealstone even do? I'm tempted to sneak it onto the dais outside Freya's door, but it's a bitch to get up there and I doubt it would actually produce any amusing results.

The gender switching sealstone needs to be combo'd with the White Loincloth to have any use. On top of that, the White Loincloth is only equippable on males and you can only get them from Gabriel Celeste. By itself, the sealstone does nothing.

However, if you do decide to pair it together with the White Loincloth, it effectively gives that character a x2 multiplier IIRC. This is pretty significant because most other skills and abilities top out to 50-60% at most.

This is why in files where you try to maximize damage, most people end up using Dylan. Not only can he use the White Loincloth, but he can also get access to the Tyfring, the strongest weapon on raw power as well as having Full Swing, which has the strongest multiplier out of all the normals in the game (x2.2). AFAIK, the only other character who kinda comes close is Freya and Freya can't use the White Loincloth. On top of that, the Ether Laser is one of a kind, so she also can't use Wrath of Forcefulness as it can't be replaced. The Tyfring can.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: July 13, 2015, 01:21:41 AM »
That's one of the most absurdly situational pieces of gear I've ever encountered in a game. No wonder it only cost 150 crystals to return.

Also irrelevant! Because my party is Brahms + team valk and staying that way even though Freya would be a straight upgrade over Silmeria (are there even any new bows in the SG? I think she's still using junk from Lezard's tower). However, I'm sticking with Silmeria because honestly I have spent maybe .1% of my previous playtime with this game actually using the title character before and I figured I should fix that. And Hrist has Gungnir now so it's not like it even fucking matters who else is in the party anymore. Gungnir is so broke you guys. Holy shit. I mean, I remembered that, but it's still amazing instantly switching from "basically competent" to "literally tears every enemy in half in one swing" just from one weapon upgrade.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: July 13, 2015, 02:09:42 AM »
FF5 - Just beat Ronka Ruins. Archeoaevis was uh pretty special. 1,000 Needles x7 into L5 Death and welp, the end. Blue Mage is an incredible class at times for all the weirdest reasons. And my final job is... Dancer. Well, beats getting Dragoon. I raised Faris to be my Summoner, but I guess I'll make her my Dancer instead. Good thing I picked that Ribbon on Karnak Castle!