Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194733 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1800 on: July 02, 2015, 08:31:13 PM »
I actually have the original guidebook for that game, and I have scratchouts everywhere on the "favored" jobs to complete quests.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 02, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »
Does it even -make- a difference? I just sent whoever I wanted and the results were fine.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 02, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
RAR SPOIELRS

While I didn't pay much mind to the coffee another friend of mine said that was what opened up a ton of things for him, so that's just a really cool demonstration of how different some people will approach things and gain insight through very different things. Mine might have been picking up on an obsession with magic and fairy tales, following up on glazier which led to stuff about mirrors, and words pertaining to duality.

I looked it up and apparently it is spelt wrong, maybe an actress mistake? It's also possible that it's purposeful and there's a little more to it but I'm not sure what. Awesome touch either way.

I have a hard time seeing a plausible interpretation for the second theory, a lot of things point to there being two people. Like she talks about a bruise at one point and then another time when it is brought up she reaches for the wrong cheek (also she says she has a fast metabolism and heals quickly but that sounds like a lot of bullshit). Then all the stuff in terms of pregnancies, how one has an std and the other doesn't mention it, and how they just do twin tricks on their parents (being undressed and then the other twin comes out dressed) that point to two physical people. Then there's setting up the alibi which required two of them. There's also the tattoo thing but I suppose that could be temporary (although there's no reason to think so). There's a lot of weird shit you have to wave away if it's going to be split personality issue, particularly the bruise and the tattoo. Tonally I also feel it's more meaningful if it's about two separate people but I reveal my bias here I guess. You're probably right in that it doesn't matter in the end.

I'm still murky as to what happened to the parents with the mushrooms/food poisoning vs heat, that was a little odd.

Some of the last few entries on the thing for me were the lie detector things "yes" and "no" responses (I found the lie detector but not the specific responses), which were slightly anticlimactic. Finding everything isn't necessarily the point here and doing the brute force search method isn't all that fun and you likely won't be missing anything revolutionary although I did miss some longer things here and there.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 02, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »
Does it even -make- a difference? I just sent whoever I wanted and the results were fine.

Sorta kinda if your generics suck.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 02, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »
RAR SPOIELRS

While I didn't pay much mind to the coffee another friend of mine said that was what opened up a ton of things for him, so that's just a really cool demonstration of how different some people will approach things and gain insight through very different things. Mine might have been picking up on an obsession with magic and fairy tales, following up on glazier which led to stuff about mirrors, and words pertaining to duality.

I looked it up and apparently it is spelt wrong, maybe an actress mistake? It's also possible that it's purposeful and there's a little more to it but I'm not sure what. Awesome touch either way.

I have a hard time seeing a plausible interpretation for the second theory, a lot of things point to there being two people. Like she talks about a bruise at one point and then another time when it is brought up she reaches for the wrong cheek (also she says she has a fast metabolism and heals quickly but that sounds like a lot of bullshit). Then all the stuff in terms of pregnancies, how one has an std and the other doesn't mention it, and how they just do twin tricks on their parents (being undressed and then the other twin comes out dressed) that point to two physical people. Then there's setting up the alibi which required two of them. There's also the tattoo thing but I suppose that could be temporary (although there's no reason to think so). There's a lot of weird shit you have to wave away if it's going to be split personality issue, particularly the bruise and the tattoo. Tonally I also feel it's more meaningful if it's about two separate people but I reveal my bias here I guess. You're probably right in that it doesn't matter in the end.

I'm still murky as to what happened to the parents with the mushrooms/food poisoning vs heat, that was a little odd.

Some of the last few entries on the thing for me were the lie detector things "yes" and "no" responses (I found the lie detector but not the specific responses), which were slightly anticlimactic. Finding everything isn't necessarily the point here and doing the brute force search method isn't all that fun and you likely won't be missing anything revolutionary although I did miss some longer things here and there.

I think the wrong knock code is an actress mistake yeah. BYDHANNAN IIRC instead of BYEHANNAH

There is a second time she uses the knock code, right after she goes "Hannah Hannah Hannah, why are you talking about Eve?".
I found it very early on and it's one of the only videos I saved.
When she mentioned the knock code later, I looked it up on the net and went back to the video to try to decipher it. The message was LOVEU.

<3

I do agree about the story feeling more meaningful with the separate persons theory, and that's the main reason I prefer to go with it.

To play devil's advocate, most of your post can be explained by the two personalities being completely separate, and the whole childhood in a cellar / parents never noticing the twin girls afterwards felt too dreamlike to be true. With this theory Simon also becomes some kind of tragic empathic character instead of this horny guy looking for twin lesbian action.

I dunno, I feel both theories kinda feel shaky. I wonder if it's meant to be this way, or if we're all still missing something. I really wonder if there's one to find out which questions were asked during the lie detector test. Else why do the lie detection videos exist?

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 03, 2015, 12:05:17 AM »
The girls bonded over fairy tales, princess stories, and ouija, and that does bleed over into this surreal, dreamlike feeling some of the game has. I think what really torpedoes the one person thing is the tattoo and the bruise, neither of which have particularly convincing explanations under this theory (it's a temporary tattoo, she just got the tattoo between interviews, she's holding the bruise part that is reflected! All seem too far fetched). Her alibi also involves her being in Glasgow with records in the hospital to place her there and how it's impossible for her to have been in two places at once (unless, of course...). I think you have to make too many unlikely assumptions for the multiple personality theory to work (even though two people slipping past everything is also a little out there), so I find the two people explanation more probable and more satisfying narratively. Once more people play the game maybe someone will come up with something stronger.

The lie detector thing has that name thing (which caught her in a lie). Not exactly sure what that means yet.

At any rate, I find it hilarious that people who clearly didn't know anything about the game bashed it for being an SJW game, possibly on the sole basis of it being named "Her Story," (WHAT ABOUT HIS STORY/HISTORY) oh and I guess it has women.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 03, 2015, 12:38:29 AM »
I've played thousands of hours of FFT and I don't think I've done more than one or two propositions.  Related to that, I was completely oblivious to FFT's engrish till getting online. <_<
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 03, 2015, 12:40:50 AM »
FFT:

Chapter 4.

You know that math teaching quest?
I turned my bard into an arithmetician/calculator because, duh, and I accepted the quest.

12 days later:
"The skills of the ninja were a great boon to us. One person can make the difference!"

The irony is that Calculator is actually not one of the best jobs for that proposition, the way the system is designed.  See, "Master Math!" is classified internally as an "Odd Job" with Faith preference.  Proposition success is determined by attaching a score to each of the three participants which is based on their current job, their level, and possibly their Brave or Faith.  If the combined scores of all three participants exceed 99, then you succeed on the proposition.

Since Master Math! is a Faith preference proposition, it rewards characters both for having LOW brave and HIGH faith.  As an Odd Job, it favors Chemists, Thieves and Mediators the most (15 points base), followed by Bards, Dancers and Mimes (10 points base).  A Calculator is only worth 5 on that job, paradoxically.  There's a further job-based bonus awarded because it's a Faith proposition: this awards an additional 10 points to Squires and every job in the Chemist tree except Mediator and Bard, and an additional 5 points to Mediators, Ninjas, Bards and Dancers.  Finally, 5-20 points are awarded (each) for each unit's Brave and Faith scores; more points for low brave and high faith, and an additional 10 points is awarded if the unit is under level 51 (this is different for Brave or neutral props, too).

If the total is under 99, there is still a chance of success if you have one or more of a certain, specific, single job on the proposition.  From the sounds of the dialogue you got, this is exactly what happened with you, because Master Math!'s random success job is, in fact, Ninja, and having one gives you a 61% chance to succeed even if you don't have enough points.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 03, 2015, 03:22:52 AM »
Final Fantasy In Autobattle We Entrust The Love Advocated - Balthier event is out, I'm roughly halfway through the wussy version. Looking up Balthier, he looks like a frailer Tidus mix who uses spears and light armors instead of heavy armors and swords. Better Combat, worse Celerity, maxed useless Thief rank. I may end up trying him out since I have a five-star spear handy and I could use Tidus' Zantetsuken to raise Cloud's weapon's rarity instead. Celerity 4 also lets me use both Shadowbind and Leg Shot, which certainly aren't bad. At least, Balthier isn't entirely reliant on getting his unique weapon, though it -does- let him stay at the back, which would help his durability a decent deal. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 03, 2015, 03:33:47 AM »
FFRK:  Finished all classic core dungeons.  And hey look, another event is out.  They seriously need to slow down the pace on the events.  Yeah there's a lot of characters to go through, but the quickest way to burn someone out on stamina-based games is to have something special happening every.single.day.  You need to work in some breathing time so people can do daily dungeons and take it easy for a while.

FF 13-2:  FFRK put me in the mood to play something final-y fantasy-y, and this was the closest thing at hand.  I'd stopped playing it before because I was hopelessly lost on how to progress the story.  So I started over from scratch this time.  Don't know what I did different but I got past the stopping point from my last playthrough.  So now I'm at what the game proclaims to be the final dungeon, but I'm going back and getting more fragments before proceeding with it.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 03, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »
1st 50 relic draw was a failure. 2nd attempt coming soon.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 03, 2015, 06:22:57 PM »
If you have a good spear lying around, I wouldn't bother vying for the Ras Algethi. The SB is pretty generic and it doesn't even have much attack, just the perk of a back row physical. I just gave Balthier a spare Golden Spear and he's doing fine enough - he's more about the great skillset compatibility and solid overall stats.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1812 on: July 03, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »
Today I got married to a man...

In Fire Emblem if. The male Avatar character can apparently marry the playboy thief Zero, so of course I beelined for that S-Rank. The conversation was pretty funny, and then after that happens, Zero literally moves into your room in your castle. That's cute.

Thieves use bows in this game for whatever reason, so he actually makes a good support unit for the Avatar if you made a frontliner one.

Also, randomly Owain, Inigo, and Severa are in this game. I hear they can use Triangle Attack. Neat. They are certainly my favorite of the second-generation of FEA characters, so those were good choices. Though I am a bit sad that Sumia's daughter didn't make the cut, she and Owain especially are hilarious. For some reason, (my bet's on Owain) the three have given themselves the pseudonyms "Odin", "Luna", and "Raswald". Maybe it's an "Ally of Justice" thing?

The game's plot is creeping into "multi-parallel-universe" territory, so it's entirely possible we'll see parallel dimension children popping up from marriage choices. Weird. But good weird.

Bad weird: The face-petting minigame is still super-creepy. Seriously, it was cute with Pokemon, but you are asking me to massage human faces with a pen, game... >.>;;

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 03, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
The former. People are all over the place about it, with most people who are negative on it saying that it was due to fatigue. I didn't play Origins so maybe that won't affect me but it seems like the trajectory of the series has been downward (Asylum being best and everything else being a step down). I'll still pick it up at some point

Finished now, 100% completion because I hate myself.

Fatigue is definitely a factor, but it's not the whole picture by itself. It's difficult for the proceedings not to feel at least a little stale in the fourth installment of a series that doesn't see much growth in core gameplay. That was already the case in Origins, so I'd imagine it a likely response even skipping that game (and AK's credits, which are otherwise a slideshow of the whole series, do ignore Origins, although there are definitely references to it in-game). But I probably wouldn't care so much if it was at least presented with some more panache. I just don't get the impression that the creative team felt very inspired making this game. It's a fairly long game if you do everything, probably moreso than the rest of the series, but it doesn't feel like you've really done all that much by the end. I definitely think it's a case of more content not necessarily equating to more entertainment, as though a set amount of creative energy were just averaged out across the game. Riddler stuff in particular really just feels like a grind, but at least it's something different. Almost all the other sidequests just boil down to beating up mobs of random dudes, and nothing novel is done with any of the returning supervillains. The only real bosses this game has are tank battles. If you're ever facing someone important on foot then in practice all it is is beat up waves of mooks and the boss gets cutscene shanked in between rounds. You know, pretty much in practice just like the Joker fight in Arkham Asylum, because everyone loved that bit, right?

Arkham Knight's not entirely without new developments, but the most notable one is ultimately to the game's detriment. I really don't know why someone should have thought that what the series' calcifying formula really needed to shake things up was Mako. It makes sense for the Batmobile to exist in the game, because sometimes Batman's gotta get somewhere in a hurry. I don't really dig driving in games, but if you really want to put it there, at least there's an excuse. But wow it just accounts for too much of the game. Especially early on, it's required for basically every plot mission, like they really wanted to make sure you got used to its presence by not letting you do anything else. It's just too much. I wouldn't have minded it in moderation. You guys want to play a version of FFX where Tidus stops the party for a blitzball game every time you enter a new zone? Also holy shit Batman is responsible for so much property damage. Nothing short of buildings will stand in its way. Signs, fences, pedestrians, chimneys, trees, rebar overpass supports, all crumble before the irresistible force of a vehicle cruising at slightly over walking speed. Are Batman-related repair costs tax deductible? Oh wait it doesn't matter because everything magically repairs itself if you leave the screen for a few seconds.

Otherwise, there's a few battles where you've got another hero around for backup and you can swap between them and do combo attacks and whatnot? And that's pretty neat, but these instances are also very infrequent. If you skip sidequests you'll almost totally miss this altogether. I kinda got the impression with all the alt character DLC in Arkham City that it was meant to be the groundwork for something more substantial than we actually saw here (although I guess the answer to this might be "That's right: Arkham Knight DLC.")

I think the best new thing in the entire game is just the ability to selectively mute dialogue, and I'm sure anyone who played Arkham City can attest to how immensely fucking welcome that is. Now I don't have to listen to the same half-dozen thug voiceclips repeat on the radio when I'm out hunting Riddler trophies! Of course, it also means I miss out on Riddler's bitching while I'm doing so, which is a shame because I quite like his voice acting. I'd prefer the option to just specifically turn off KTHG, but ultimately any means of turning it off is something I'll eagerly use.

Anyway, endgame stuff. Mr. Vengeance is out of the picture for the last 10-15% of the game, so hey, here's Deathstroke for some reason to fill time. Oh by the way you fight him in a tank and the fight's almost exactly copy-pasted from the first Arkham Knight battle, except now I can fire a dozen rockets at once and that almost knocks him out immediately. Yawn.

The ending's a mess. I'm not really interested in going into detail, although I will mention, just to prove that the universe hates Grefter as much as the other way around, that we learn that if Joker had a tank then its limit break would be called The Killing Joke. I wish I was making that up, except wait no I don't because then I'd hate myself even more. It's probably fair to expect something psychedelic since Scarecrow's the main villain, but I'm not inclined to think that that was exactly what we needed. Also apparently Scarecrow's principal fear is just Batman, which I guess makes sense while also feeling trite when you just throw it out there and go what else would it be, right?

Oh shit I said Joker was in this game. Spoilers you guys Joker's in this game. Whatever, you learn this on like the first mission. Anyway, if you didn't expect this then you've probably never read a comic book in your life. I didn't actually mind this in execution, most of the time, although the idea justifying it in plot was so incredibly dumb that it could've come from MGS2. The game's story is a fitful mix of questionable ideas that somehow didn't work out quite so terrible as expected in practice and potentially worthwhile ones that it doesn't seem like anyone actually thought about very much past gestation. I guess I'll go to proper spoiler text now.

Arkham Knight himself is so obviously damaged goods that I wonder how he got an army.

Scarecrow's conceptually better, but wildly uneven as an antagonist. He has negative charisma but this isn't the primary problem. The game just can't seem to settle on what he's really trying to do in practice, which is frustrating because there's the core of a good idea in what he actually wants to accomplish on a personal level. "Hey, gassing might be sufficient to instill terror in ordinary people, but it's not good enough for Batman. I tried that once before and it didn't work. If I want to beat him, I will have to approach this like a psychologist and arrange events to emphasize how futile his crusade has been by demonstrating the severe personal cost everyone close to him has had to pay." This is a reasonable M.O. for a very unreasonable person to adopt, and if he stuck to that more consistently it might've made for a good Batman story, but a lot of what he does seems either unnecessary or even counterproductive to that goal. Like, what is your real plan here, can we just decide on one and stick with it? Do you want to blow up the chemical factory, or do you want to play with the military grade chemical dispersal weapon, or do you want to actually buckle down and do something *personal* already? The grand acts of terror, which make sense as things Scarecrow would just generically like to do in a vacuum, are ultimately superfluous to his immediate goal of ruining even the concept of Batman as a hero. This is one of those stories where the villain's schemes fail time after time and everyone acts like all these earlier failures are really just feints to set up his ultimate victory, complete with billboard/radio taunts--even after we've completely decimated his army and destroyed all his gee-whiz super toys--about how our TOTAL DEFEAT is just around the corner. After a while it just makes him seem comically oblivious. It's a shame because somewhere in there was the seed for a more competent plotter to arrange a satisfying conflict of personalities.

Anyway, Joker's function, for most of the game, is to act as the nagging voice of Batman's conscience and taunt him along the above lines. I'm pretty okay with this. If you're going to have someone manifest as the protagonist's voice of doubt, it's reasonably appropriate for it to be his most persistent and deranged adversary. And the more Bruce alienates or loses his friends in trying to protect them, the more it starts to feel like Joker's your only actual friend, which is just surreal enough to work. So if Joker was always going to come back from the dead--and you know he always was--I can accept this as the least obtrusive way to do it. And frankly the game's primary villains are so categorically humorless that it's actually a relief to at least see someone enjoying himself.

The actual plot explanation for why this is happening, of course, is what echoes Kojima at his worst: Joker snuck some of his blood into other people through transfusions just before he died, and wouldn't you know it Batman was one of those people (that was actually an Arkham City plot point, though for much more credible reasons), and now everyone infected is literally turning into Joker clones. Because transferring one person's memories and personality into someone else is totally what happens with blood transfusions, right? It's just...you know, guys, come on, really. Batman gets hit with high-grade fear toxin in the opening mission, that is all the excuse you need for him to be hearing crazy things, you don't have to go full pants on head stupid to justify Joker's presence.

I'm also still not clear on why Ivy helped Batman at all. She doesn't appear to care about humans any more than she did in the earlier games, I.E. at best they're useful as brainwashed drones and at worst they're fertilizer. Yes, Scarecrow's drugs were killing her plants, but they were only killing her plants because she was overtaxing them using them to mass drain fear gas across the entire city. You'd think she wouldn't object to something that thinned out the human population. She certainly doesn't raise moral objections to mass murder. We could assume she acts out of vengeance since Scarecrow DID try to kill her in the intro, yes, but this was also dumb on his part. So she didn't want to help out with your plan? Big deal, you don't need her anyway. Why pointlessly antagonize someone who just doesn't care?

"Wasted potential" really does sum up the game pretty succinctly. I do still have some preorder DLC to mess with, mind. I guess playing as other characters is at least a novel thing.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 03, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »
Bad weird: The face-petting minigame is still super-creepy. Seriously, it was cute with Pokemon, but you are asking me to massage human faces with a pen, game... >.>;;

From what I understand, it exists so you can have a stronger sense of interactivity with the characters and thus feel closer to them.  Why it's face petting?  Well, they wanted to keep the game intended for all ages.  If they allowed you to touch any part of the body...do I really need to finish this statement <_<?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: July 03, 2015, 09:37:46 PM »
Fire Emblem: G-Rated Waifus
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 03, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
petting anime girl faces is less creepy than petting other things!

This is true.  But...
https://xkcd.com/463/

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 03, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »
Also re El Cid's musings.  I haven't played any of the Arkham games but I share the slight bafflement that "The Killing Joke" is considered some seminal great Batman story.  I mean.  The part of it that's good is the whole idea that the Joker has is that one bad day can make anyone crazy, and the answer is nope, you're just crazy.  And the coda mini-story afterward is actually pretty great as far as 4-page stories go!  So it has some merit, sure.

But there's definitely a large part of it that seems to be along the lines of "the Joker is so cool and powerful, watch him shoot & murder people becuz the plot says he does."  Like.  I dunno, in persistent worlds like those of comics victories & setbacks (especially of a permanent nature) need to be dramatically "earned" to a degree.  Impress me with something clever the Joker does that outsmarts his rivals or otherwise plays on their weakness, which allows him to shoot/kidnap the Gordons + get tons of money from somewhere + murder some poor carnival owner.  Instead it just...  happens.  Again, this isn't about realism, it's about having some satisfying cause & effect, play / counterplay type deal.  Like, The Dark Knight's Joker is a huge Gary Stu who recruits his own criminal group and somehow pulls off multiple major terrorist attacks in short succession, but the movie sells it via him doing something clever and/or evil to set it up (even if realistically it'd require way more), rather than the script saying he just wins.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 03, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »
The girls bonded over fairy tales, princess stories, and ouija, and that does bleed over into this surreal, dreamlike feeling some of the game has. I think what really torpedoes the one person thing is the tattoo and the bruise, neither of which have particularly convincing explanations under this theory (it's a temporary tattoo, she just got the tattoo between interviews, she's holding the bruise part that is reflected! All seem too far fetched). Her alibi also involves her being in Glasgow with records in the hospital to place her there and how it's impossible for her to have been in two places at once (unless, of course...). I think you have to make too many unlikely assumptions for the multiple personality theory to work (even though two people slipping past everything is also a little out there), so I find the two people explanation more probable and more satisfying narratively. Once more people play the game maybe someone will come up with something stronger.

The lie detector thing has that name thing (which caught her in a lie). Not exactly sure what that means yet.

IIRC something about Simon's watch disproves the Glasglow thing being an alibi.
I think Hannah changed the time on it. And that that watch was the only way to prove the time of death, because the corpse was in the house for too long?
Now that I see this written, it sounds too Phoenix Wrighty for this game though. Um.

Anyway I don't have much more to add but I like to leave more tiny spoiler text

At any rate, I find it hilarious that people who clearly didn't know anything about the game bashed it for being an SJW game, possibly on the sole basis of it being named "Her Story," (WHAT ABOUT HIS STORY/HISTORY) oh and I guess it has women.
Yeah definitely. It sounds ridiculous but that's really what it is.
It's a generally dismissive attitude towards things seen as arty hipster BS coupled with an extreme defensiveness towards progressive elements because of gamergate.
And it comes down to: A game about a woman, without male gaze = Probably SJW

FFT:

Chapter 4.

You know that math teaching quest?
I turned my bard into an arithmetician/calculator because, duh, and I accepted the quest.

12 days later:
"The skills of the ninja were a great boon to us. One person can make the difference!"

The irony is that Calculator is actually not one of the best jobs for that proposition, the way the system is designed.  See, "Master Math!" is classified internally as an "Odd Job" with Faith preference.  Proposition success is determined by attaching a score to each of the three participants which is based on their current job, their level, and possibly their Brave or Faith.  If the combined scores of all three participants exceed 99, then you succeed on the proposition.

Since Master Math! is a Faith preference proposition, it rewards characters both for having LOW brave and HIGH faith.  As an Odd Job, it favors Chemists, Thieves and Mediators the most (15 points base), followed by Bards, Dancers and Mimes (10 points base).  A Calculator is only worth 5 on that job, paradoxically.  There's a further job-based bonus awarded because it's a Faith proposition: this awards an additional 10 points to Squires and every job in the Chemist tree except Mediator and Bard, and an additional 5 points to Mediators, Ninjas, Bards and Dancers.  Finally, 5-20 points are awarded (each) for each unit's Brave and Faith scores; more points for low brave and high faith, and an additional 10 points is awarded if the unit is under level 51 (this is different for Brave or neutral props, too).

If the total is under 99, there is still a chance of success if you have one or more of a certain, specific, single job on the proposition.  From the sounds of the dialogue you got, this is exactly what happened with you, because Master Math!'s random success job is, in fact, Ninja, and having one gives you a 61% chance to succeed even if you don't have enough points.

Oh wow, thanks for that info!
I really like these deeply convoluted yet utterly meaningless mechanics (meaningless because errand quest failure basically never happens)
Where/How did you find all that?

FFT: Just got Orland...eau

Balthier's real good. Not Orlandeau good, but really really good. Shock, War of the Lions gave us one more overpowered Chapter 4 character.

I also just got one Dark Knight!
I'm surprised I got it this soon into the game, considering the ridiculous requirements. (way worse than mimes). You need lvl 8 Geomancer/Dragoon/Ninja/Samurai + Master Knight and Black Mage. You also need 20 kills. A kill only counts as a kill if the enemy gets turned into a crystal / chest.
 I had one female character go for Gain JP Up, then make a beeline for Dancer right away, then use Wiznaibus, all the time, every. single. battle. until she met all the requirements except having learnt black mage spells. (I also drew out battles a bit in Chapter 2 so she could have a lot of kills registered)
Then I got in an easy battle and taught her all the black mage spells via "blue magic" (Is this the most obscure FFT mechanic?)

Anyway I am already disappointed because, while her official art is adorable:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111203044552/finalfantasy/images/2/28/FFTWLDarkKnightFemale.png

, her in game sprite is anti-adorable:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130227043333/finalfantasy/images/7/7a/FFT_Dark_Knight_Female_Portrait.png
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:01:25 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 03, 2015, 10:48:48 PM »
New avatar?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:48 PM »
New avatar?

Social Justice Anti-Adorable.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 04, 2015, 11:22:14 AM »
Your soul.  I will eat it.
OM. NOM. NOM.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 04, 2015, 05:35:41 PM »
So Djinn, have you seen the Soleil support in FE:Fates? Is it as bad as it seems because it sounds fucking gross.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 04, 2015, 06:18:52 PM »
FF 13-2.  Beaten, bad ending get.  For a game that never really caught me emotionally with the story during the course of gameplay, they hit you hard at the end.  Now I recognize CT's sigs from long ago.  "A Yeul who loved flowers."

I still have over half the fragments to go, so much mucking around in the timeline ensues.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 04, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
So Djinn, have you seen the Soleil support in FE:Fates? Is it as bad as it seems because it sounds fucking gross.

Not sure what you read about it, apparently some places have made it out to be even worse than it is, but it is still pretty bad. Good chance it gets changed in localisation, too; I know this happened to one or two of the more objectionable Awakening supports.

From what I've read people aren't too happy with the supports in this game on average but tbh supports in the series have never been a strong point of its writing and they've gotten worse since the 3DS games pushed for a massively overbloated support list to pander to players but letting them pair up almost anyone of the opposite gender.

For those who don't mind spoilers and want to read the discussion on this support, here is the place to go. Includes a link to a fan-translated version of the support, though the usual caveat of translations being imperfect applies.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.