Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194664 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1600 on: June 21, 2015, 11:53:22 PM »
FFRK:  Had Tidus solo the Sunday dungeon to powerlevel to 50+.  Made a last-chance attempt at the highest elite dungeons from his event.  Nope, not happening.  Normal enemies do way too much damage, and the bosses are hitting for 2-3k.  Right now my best-geared character is Garnet, with a generic 5-star staff and 5-star White Robe.  She cures for a ton but the lack of MT healing (and MT black magic) in this game hurts.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1601 on: June 22, 2015, 12:26:56 AM »
FFRK: yeah I haven't been able to clear Tidus' final dungeons yet either. And I have a level 60 Tidus and Wakka. The key is honing skills but I wasted a bunch of materials on the quests so my spells and such aren't at the level of say... Snow. The EXP dungeon is quite nice though. Got my Black Mage up to 50 finally so I have Lesser Manafont. Apparently to get Good Manafont you have to clear a difficulty 80(!) Elite dungeon. Not sure even my best party is up for that but it also requires you to use Black Mage during the fight and he can't get KOd ever. Damn. That's a tall order with such a frail character. I could possibly RNG manipulate it but that's probably an hour investment and my longest commute isn't until Thursday. Still, you also get Kain's Break Limit crystal from that dungeon too so... Yay? I'm sure Scar's happy. :)

Splatoon: still a good game, I still quite suck at it, but getting better. Rank 7 opens up a stronger version of the weapon type that I'm actually good with. Seriously, Nintendo, I love you forever for putting a viable melee weapon in a competitive shooter. It means I don't have to shoot. Because really that's the part I hate (most) about shooters.

Smash U: And yay, a fighting game, a genre I inherently like, gotta get gud. Still not up to my Brawl or Melee skill level since there's so much more to master in this game (so many new characters, custom moves, and stage hazards to learn!)
I suppose I could just master the stuff that's trending in the meta but that's not how I roll with Smash.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 22, 2015, 12:40:21 AM »
Yeah I've stopped worrying about Tidus' dungeon.
I still do intend to finish Garnet's though, the fights aren't that though. Feed exp to Vivi and give him fire, and then give fire strikes to Cloud, then get two healers w/fire on the side, or something.
The boss rush afterwards sounds easy (and worth it) with minimal mithril use.

If boss damage is too much of a problem, I suggest stat breaks. They're really good.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 22, 2015, 02:32:17 AM »
I spent one Mythril on Garnet's boss rush and I might've been able to do it without one with not much better of a setup. It's a really manageable set. I liked the balance.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1604 on: June 22, 2015, 05:25:36 AM »

Yeah, that was basically my impression. Also gradually ramping up to heights of insanity (SR3) is easier for me to take than starting amped at 11 (SR4). Which says a lot about SR4's caliber of absurdity considering SR3's tutorial mission was a pretty nuts way to begin that game too.

Of course it's worth it for the wardrobe either way.

I thought the point of SR4 was to mack on your Vice President anyway.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: June 22, 2015, 05:31:06 AM »
Fallout Shelter - Everyone else with iOS devices are playing this right?  It is like super casual Sim Tower, which is to say it is shallow as fuck but still super addictive because it is fucking Sim Tower still.

I tried, but the super casual didn't work for me. Just couldn't get involved.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: June 22, 2015, 05:56:43 AM »
I wish minimaps disappeared alltogether and games would have to rely information some other way.

Insert favorable comment about Dark Souls design here.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1607 on: June 22, 2015, 07:46:14 AM »

Yeah, that was basically my impression. Also gradually ramping up to heights of insanity (SR3) is easier for me to take than starting amped at 11 (SR4). Which says a lot about SR4's caliber of absurdity considering SR3's tutorial mission was a pretty nuts way to begin that game too.

Keith David doesn't have time for your fucking bullshit.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 22, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »

Keith David doesn't have time for your fucking bullshit.

:(

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 22, 2015, 11:12:38 AM »

To Ciddy: yeah, the amazing wardrobe options in both games alone make the experience 20% cooler. Cookie points to SR3 for pulling off a final boss sequence to the sound of the OTHER Bonnie Tyler song.

To CK: don't be silly, the point of SR4 is macking -Johnny Gat- as a rebound fuck because Keith David doesn't have time for your fucking bullshit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:37:27 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 22, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
Final Fantasy Bury My Autobattle At Wounded Knee - Mostly futzing around for Mythril, fun and games until the Squall event uploads. Difficulty 60+ Elite dungeons are currently my chumps, particularly because I have a lot of resources on Vivi (Rank 3 Firaga + Rank 2 other L3s), though I still want Rank 2 on Quake and Rank 2-3 on Drain, which is actually -really- good. Only drains for 30% of damage done, but that's actually very significant when Drain itself is slightly -stronger- than a L3 and I have nearly 300 Mag + Rod Master on Vivi. Dealing nearly 9k damage with -ga spells against Elite -bosses- is sorta nuts. Too bad I'll lose some of that damage when I pick up Mana Spring I, but that's just so damn much offense. At higher levels, magic becomes the backbone of your offense against bosses something fierce, even my strongest physicals can't possibly hope to match up without Spellblade hitting weakness, and even then, only the damage cap keeps magic from completely dominating. It's quite a departure from the early game shenanigans, though physical fighters -never- stop being your main way of dealing with randoms and their utility does pick up crucial things for dealing with bosses (debuffs and status attached to damage, mainly). The balance does work out decently this way.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:27:13 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 22, 2015, 03:04:02 PM »
Necrodancer - Beat Cadence All Zones (hereby referred to as EZ) mode after a couple nights of trying. Still utterly hopeless without a bow/spear/longsword, though I can make due with a whip. For some reason I am just terrible with broadswords/flails/shotguns.

Probably will do Melody EZ next. I thought normal Melody was way easier than Cadence, but that she starts with 2 hearts in EZ mode just kinda confirms it. I rolled a revive potion, crown of thorns, Torch+3, and obsidian longsword in the first zone on my attempt with Melody, then bumped into a shrine of peace by mistake and rage quit.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 22, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »
FFRK: I broke Cloud's level cap and got his sweet materia, gave him a 5* FF9 sword and attempted Garnet's second to last fight again.

52 Vivi / 50 Cloud / 50 Luneth / 52 Garnet / 55 Wakka.

That team rolled all over Black Waltz, it was ridiculous. Luneth slowed, Wakka broke defense/magic, Garnet healed. Vivi and Cloud burned everything. Vivi was hitting for 7500 damage, Cloud for 9999, and they were far from using all their spell charges when the fight was over. I could have probably tackled another black waltz fight right afterwards.

The constant ethers after every fight make the boss rush seem actually doable.
I went up to the fourth fight but left because Luneth was dead. I'll try again later.  No S/L or mithril.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:03:52 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: June 22, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
If you have Raise, it's not a bad idea to bring it for the boss rush if you're losing people now and then. That saved my ass on the Plant Cage fight, since it kept imprisoning Vivi and he is my best damage by far.

EDIT: I'm a single Major Fire Orb away from crafting Phoenix. =(

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 22, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »
Yeah but you need both Blinda and healing for the boss rush!
I just went with Lenna's full revive instead (as a friend summon) to make up for that (Thank god for the amazing people who have her as their summon)

That boss rush is really fun.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: June 22, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
I do like it. Rewards also worth it in general (Tidus event also had worthwhile rewards, but the tail end of the bosses is just too brutal).

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: June 22, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
Honestly I'm not sure I'll ever seriously use those summons since honing them is so difficult. Those rewards ARE extra shiny though, if nothing else, and that's a big plus.

Oh yeah by the way. Do you know if the black mage materia restores magic every fight or every... battle? (One battle = three fights (most of the time))

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 22, 2015, 07:43:11 PM »
Maybe Djinn knows, I'm still collecting eggs to feed Black Mage so far. Comments on the wiki seem to point to the start of each -battle-, though (each fight would make Mana Spring II -absurdly- broken, woohoo infinite Quake/summons/healing all day long never use a physical again).

EDIT: Got Arc, who is basically Lenna with MT Shell and no unique weapon instead of Mass Regen or unique weapon Full-Life. I guess his niche is covering for a healer with acceptable stats if you missed Aerith/Lenna/Vanille/Garnet. In his defense, at least, MT Shell is a pretty good choice for a Soul Break (MT defensive buffs are good stuff in general).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:39:46 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 22, 2015, 11:25:41 PM »
Just beat Elite Black Waltz + Sea Lion with the help of Runic. Replenishing Vivi's Firaga/Firaja stock while nullifying their ice magic was fun, although the rest of my offense was limited enough that I still needed Magic Break + Mass Regen to survive a few Tsunamis near the end.

From what I hear the Boss rush versions have low enough HP to straight up blitz with Runic support, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get enough stamina for a try.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: June 22, 2015, 11:41:34 PM »
About that, FF9 Masked Man (Baku, the first boss) nearly destroyed me and I think we reached the most ludicrous power disparity between a FF game and Record Keeper.
I still won the fight but didn't get the mastery. Magic didn't get replenished between fight 4 and 5 for some reason.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: June 23, 2015, 01:54:23 AM »
Also this happened while I was grabbing the mythril from a daily dungeon at lunch:

gj ai
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:06:44 AM by hinode »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1621 on: June 23, 2015, 04:57:37 AM »
FFRK: the new Squall event is just precious with its introductory level 1 dungeons. Even Vivi is oneshotting foes. With his physical.

So I'm playing a challenge version. The game just recently handed me a bunch of new adorable sprites. So let's play "Cloud and the Level Ones". Irvine, Refia, Fran, and Arc will be playing their hardest to stay alive and collect that sweet sweet EXP while veteran member Cloud plays their manager. (And basically does all the work.)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 23, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »
Speaking of Squall event: OHKOing group bosses with a generic Ramuh is funny. Should grab Squall within this stamina load and go on to the Elite versions. This event looks a lot less interesting than Tidus' and Garnet's, but like I'd say no to easy prizes.

EDIT:
About that, FF9 Masked Man (Baku, the first boss) nearly destroyed me and I think we reached the most ludicrous power disparity between a FF game and Record Keeper.
I still won the fight but didn't get the mastery. Magic didn't get replenished between fight 4 and 5 for some reason.

Seriously? Baku is a chump as long as you have a couple Power Breaks and shots of healing left, I found. Oh no ST 2HKO physical in a game that hands you five party members I'm so scared.

EDIT 2: OH FUCK it's black and power orb day, nevermind I'm doing some farming there. Already got Drain to R2 and that's awesome.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:24:12 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: June 23, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »
Should grab Squall within this stamina load
Ahhhhhhh skeet skeet skeet yeah.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 23, 2015, 01:32:05 PM »
Should grab Squall within this stamina load
cocks

:rimshot:

I love you too.

Final Fantasy Distant Plastic Autobattles - So yeah, farming Power and Black Orbs, since those are my lowest stocks for ability crafting and honing. Since I'm one Stamina Shard away from upgrading my max, I'm also doing a classic FF3 dungeon for the Mythril and extra playtime. Good news, though: I can craft Protectga! Bad news: I can't craft Protectga without postponing honing Quake to R2. So uh yeah that'll wait for now. R2 Drain is great news regardless. I really do recommend crafting it, since it's good healing in the game's context and its damage is at least on par with L3s, which are pretty much a mage's bread-and-butter at this power level. It even hits weakness (Dark!) now and then, and it's -very- rarely resisted. Drain's existence really does trivialize Dark, though, doesn't it.