Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194742 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1325 on: May 30, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »
Locke, Edgar and Ramza haven't been released in Japan yet, so even longer if you wanna play it in English. Terra and Celes already had their events in both versions, though these events reappear from time to time in the Japanese version. No word yet on when they'll show up again in the English release.

Honestly it's not a game to go out of your way to play. It's like Cookie Clicker or Candy Crush. It's only worth playing when you have lots of waiting time you need to fill. (Like if you have a daily 10-30 minute commute to work on a crowded train where the only thing you can do is play on your phone.) The only thing that recommends it over something like Cookie Clicker is because FF6-style sprites with a stripped-down FF6-style battle system is more attractive and engaging than mindlessly clicking baked goods. The effect is still the same - it's a Skinner Box Collectathon, though at least it occasionally throws a challenging boss fight at you?

To be fair to cookie clicker, the shit with the grandmas was hilarious and worth playing through once to see.

Yeah sounds like I probably won't actually play it then. I have too many other actual games on my DS that I haven't played if I need some waiting-around dickery.

Out of curiousity, is this from memory on vanilla DS2 or is this DS2:Scholar? I thought I heard something about Flynn's ring getting changed slightly with respect to spell/faith/fire/hex damage between versions. Either way, I can test out the scholar changes because it's not like I'm not gonna be swimming in stones I won't use otherwise by endgame

I could've sworn DS2 vanilla Flynn's got a damage hit in conjunction with infused weapons, but after Laggy stated otherwise I tossed it onto a lightning-infused sword in Scholar and it did indeed get full damage bonus. Flynn's does not give a damn. Flynn's is just that good.

It's pretty funny too, because outside of my Santier's Spear character (that fucker's heavy) I have no urge whatsoever to get more than 60 weight, so the Flynn's ring literally has no downsides for me. I don't like any of the heavy armors enough to fashion souls it up heavyways soooooo...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 30, 2015, 09:42:49 PM »
Pretty certain at least for Flynn's it was tested to be a display bug with Infusion.  Your AR displayed as if it reduced the AR of the ring and didn't apply any bonus to elemental damage.  Testing showed it to be wrong in patch 1.09 and then 1.10 came out and fixed it.  So you should be able to see for yourself and confirm if you want Cid?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 30, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »
It's just a flat +50 phys damage to anything, so far as I can tell (I'm not aware of it ever having done anything to reduce elemental damage).

Yeah, DS2 has like no heavy armor I would even want to use for style points. There was plenty of shiny stuff in DS1 I liked to wear whenever I had weight to spare (Ornstein's, Lautrec's, Brass, Paladin set all outstanding, I guess I really like gold armor), but in DS2 it's just all so drab. I kind of like Throne Watcher's set (sans helmet--I rarely wear anything that covers the face), it's very grey but has just enough flair and there's a nice sense of solidity to it. Once I actually pumped a character's VIT up to 40 just to be able to wear it? Then I came to my senses, respecced to dump those extra 30 levels or whatever into HP and enough mental stats to cast the good support miracles, swapped armor out for exotic dancer outfit, suddenly much more effective in combat. DS2 armor, so worthless. The nice looking gear is all light anyway.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1328 on: May 31, 2015, 04:46:53 AM »
FFRK: One addition to my above critique of FFRK as a Skinner Box Collectathon: It's fun to collect nostalgic FF characters and spells/skills/weapons.

Today I got Gordon and Luneth. Gordon (FF2) is a Ranger Mage, so he can do decent damage from the back row with Bows and still cast level 3 white/black magic, making him pretty useful! ...about 20 dungeons ago back when my bows were still worth something and I wasn't on the verge of getting level 4 white/black magic. Still I guess if you beeline for him he could help out in a lot of events?

Luneth is a remixed Warrior of Light. Same equips, better Attack, similar Soul Break (boosts Attack MORE), Better Skill Options (Level 3 Support and Celerity let him do more than just hit something). Only downside is slightly less HP/Def and a LOT less Res. And him being 30 levels behind. Still, there's a bunch of FF3 dungeons to get through it seems, so I'm gonna try him out.

Current party: Cloud, Snow, Vanille (black mage setup), Lenna, Luneth
I think this gives me the over best party for handling dungeons, though Rinoa and WoL are still strong options. Unless I get their super-weapons by chance, I doubt I'll be using any of Wakka, Rydia, Kain, Cyan, Tyro, or even Gordon or Josef. Now we just wait for more event characters.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 31, 2015, 08:24:22 AM »
I can confirm the 11 item Gacha has no guaranteed 5 star item, got five 4 Star items (two staves, a dagger, an axe and some armour), the rest 3 star.  Still okay with it since staves and daggers pretty generic.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 31, 2015, 11:07:17 AM »
You might be okay with it but that's some abmysal luck.

I've been dying to Vanille's event hard mode for a while, so now I'm going through the plot with the FF13 chars. I want to come back to the event later and grab that power armlet. I've already seen Cloud do 9700 damage with a thunder spellblade, I wonder if there's actually a 9999 damage cap. I could go back to Rubicant and check how he reacts to Blizzara strike but I have other things to do.
Edit: Well as soon as I typed this I hit the FF8 fake president for 9999 damage with Fira Strike

This game makes me want to revisit FF8 and no other FF. Good job.

Mercenary Kings: I knew this was going to be bad but still bought it. It was indeed bad and I stopped after 20 minutes.

Roundabout: I dig this.

Witcher 3: Damn is the dialogue for sidequests is good. I could hear Geralt doing detective work all day.
I'm already starting to get tired of combat though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:16:31 AM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 31, 2015, 11:37:08 PM »

Simultaneously completely insufficient description of Roundabout, but all that needs to be said.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 01, 2015, 12:39:12 AM »

Simultaneously completely insufficient description of Roundabout, but all that needs to be said.
It is the greatest FMV game.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 01, 2015, 01:50:30 AM »
all that needs to be said.

Super Hexagon meets Crazy Taxi.  You're welcome.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 01, 2015, 04:16:02 AM »
Saints Row 3 - There's a fucking Millenium Falcon in my garage.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
Is that what it is called when Lando flies it?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 01, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »
Roundabout might not be the most Fenrir game, but it could have easily turned out terrible, and for the first few minutes I didn't really know whether I liked it or not. I was then charmed over by the stock footage and "Damn it Steve!!" Date guy.
The gameplay is the same as Kuru Kuru Kururin, a GBA game I got at launch and loved but had completely forgotten about. Roundabout is very cluttered compared to KKK  (wait I don't think I should use this game's acronym) but it looks like you can adjust the camera a bit later on to compensate. Right now I like it zoomed in.

Record Keeper: I didn't like Djinn being ahead of me so I finished all the current regular levels. FF5 Byblos is the current final boss. uh
Cloud is still stealing everybody else's stats. Whenever I use everybody's best skills, he does about as much damage as the four other characters combined. And now I upgraded his Fira sword so he can cast it four times. RIP non fire resistant bosses
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:39:59 PM by Fenrir »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 01, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
Have you crafted Retaliate yet, Fenrir? That's Cloud's frue power in the current global build IMO, even more so than Spellblade.

In case anyone here's not aware, RK Retaliate basically gives you Mirror Stance/Evade&Counter for about two turns, but with two big non-intuitive perks:

1) It bypasses enemy counters completely, great for counter whores like Wing Raptor and FF13 Anima
2) If an allied PC attacks the Retaliater, he will counterattack... against the enemy, for some reason. So you can convert your healers/supporters/etc. turns into extra attacks from the Retaliator. Also, using Double Cut on him will trigger two counterattacks, and Boost is a lot more efficient when most/all your damage is coming from a single attacker.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 01, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »
The first is very standard FF practice of counters not triggering other counters. The latter, hahaha that's silly.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 01, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
Have you crafted Retaliate yet, Fenrir? That's Cloud's frue power in the current global build IMO, even more so than Spellblade.

In case anyone here's not aware, RK Retaliate basically gives you Mirror Stance/Evade&Counter for about two turns, but with two big non-intuitive perks:

1) It bypasses enemy counters completely, great for counter whores like Wing Raptor and FF13 Anima
2) If an allied PC attacks the Retaliater, he will counterattack... against the enemy, for some reason. So you can convert your healers/supporters/etc. turns into extra attacks from the Retaliator. Also, using Double Cut on him will trigger two counterattacks, and Boost is a lot more efficient when most/all your damage is coming from a single attacker.

Holy crap, I've been missing out ALL THIS TIME.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 01, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »
Fire Emblem 7 -- Just finished the map with Valorous Roland and had Nergal gloat over the corpse of my dead girlfriend. Ready to shove an axe up his ass.

My Hector has more speed than STR or DEF and more speed than Lyndis. He has been pretty silly this playthrough.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 01, 2015, 08:14:54 PM »
I did hear about the Retaliate strategy, but since it destroys any need for any other kind of strategy/planning in the game, I've refrained from using it so far.

By the way, I thought this skill was a Cyan exclusive since he's a samurai. Good to know that he doesn't catch a break and that Gary Stu gets everything good.

BTW I got a four stars armor as a daily pull, and I am not even going to use it. Sorry guys ~

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 01, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »
I assume you are strictly only using dresses by now.

Aaaand I need to go make Cloud even better.

Ciatos request for July entertainment.  Hector Hard mode run?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1343 on: June 01, 2015, 10:59:44 PM »
FFRK: Too bad Fenrir, I finished the story dungeons yesterday!
Joking aside, I have been having more fun with this than I expected and yet I did not know about this Retaliate strat, I must give it a go and see if I can't beat Anima on a harder difficulty. Gotta get that Thundaja~

Also, it's notable that Rinoa and Vanille have been doing better damage w/ -aga Magic than Cloud does with his basic elemental Strikes for me. Could just be my equipment pool though. Also I invested in Blizzara Strike instead of Fira Strike and of course I haven't come across any Ice-vulnerable bosses since, so I can't test which of those is better when hitting weakness.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 01, 2015, 11:11:08 PM »
Noooo

Yeah, I have some gross five stars thunder sword on Cloud. Even with a five stars staff Lenna doesn't reach that level of damage at all.
I can beat Vanille's event on hard right now, which nets a pretty allright amount of magic royal things (especially if I reroll until I get a 90 magic royal points first fight) Between 5k and 8k per run.

Anima had a body and two arms. The body can regen the two arms if they get killed, and always counters. After a while both arms start spamming MT thunder death.
A good strategy is to have the weaker characters target one arm (only) and the stronger characters target the center after getting boosted. After the arm dies, have everybody concentrate on the body. That way, only one arm can do the MT death spam, and you get countered less than you could. I've gone form not being able to kill Anima to being able to kill two Animas per run (yes,this can happen on hard)

There aren't that many things weak to ice, I'd say that Lightning > Fire > Ice > Wind = Light > Water overall. I don't know about darkness but it's probably pretty bad.

Roundabout: I genuinely felt more emotion when Beth left Georgio than during the entirity of Dragon Age Inquisition
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:14:45 PM by Fenrir »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 01, 2015, 11:12:57 PM »
The -ra strikes are 1.8x damage (3.6x when hitting weakness), which is a modest upgrade over the basic elemental strikes at 1.5x. I'm ignoring them for now in favor of the -ga level spells since they are roughly 69% stronger than -ra spells.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 01, 2015, 11:59:17 PM »
The Witcher: I got this when it was on sale on GOG years ago and on a whim ran through the tutorial mission yesterday. I probably should've just put it on Easy because Left-click to Kill is never a combat system that's going to engage me much. I'm okay slumming in self-consciously grimy middle ages once in a while though so this will probably get picked apart in bits and pieces over an extended period.

I strongly suspect Geralt is some author's wish fulfillment character and he hasn't even done anything beyond having amnesia and sex yet. It's with no particular surprise that I notice giving Triss's character model proper boob jiggle was obviously on someone's list of priorities. Where does someone get that much fishnet clothing in a medieval setting, anyway?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 02, 2015, 12:06:16 AM »
Yeah Witcher 1 looks like a total joke.
Also, women you have sex with = collectable card game

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 02, 2015, 12:06:49 AM »
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation

Here we go, the Neptunia 2 remake.  Compared to the first game's remake, there is significantly less rewriting of the plot going on in this one -- some very minor rewriting in midgame because two characters were replaced with different characters due to rights issues: Red replaces Nisa, and Broccoli replaces Gust.  Red is an entertaining anime archetype (she's basically a shameless lesbian who wants every last one of the CPUs as her waifu, to the point of actually calling them her 'wifeys') but her VA is gratingly awful most of the time, unfortunately and she's not terribly good in combat either.  Broccoli is a chibi sitting on a roly-poly stuffed animal with precisely the opposite personality you'd expect from such a character (she's a snarky asshole), also she has a mildly annoying verbal tic, nyu.  Didn't use her much in battle, but she did come in handy some early-game, since her initial skill is a 90% HP heal (that costs an absurd amount of MP) at a time when your only other healing is 1/3 that strength.

The core gameplay is exactly the same as Re;Birth1 (and thus, exactly the same as PS3 Neptunia Victory), for better or for worse, except that the party size is back to Victory's 4 after Re;Birth1 had trimmed it to 3.  On the whole, this was a mildly easier game than Re;Birth1 I think; outside of the beginning I had to do very little grinding, and I played on normal difficulty for the majority of the game (I did drop to easy mode for the final chapter, but that was because I had opted for one of the slightly harder variant ending routes on my first playthrough; if I hadn't dropped to easy mode, I probably would have only needed to grind out 5 levels or so). 

I personally find Nepgear to be a more appealing main character than Neptune, and she's also just flat out more useful in battle (whereas Neptune's skillset for most of the original game consisted of a couple fairly mediocre physical specials and a ST offensive buff, Nepgear's consists of a couple fairly mediocre physical specials, a defensive buff and two tiers of ST heal).  I can't really imagine ever wanting to take her out of your party in this game, unlike the first game where Neptune was sometimes worth dropping from the active party.

(Purely mechanical) thoughts on the other PCs I used:
Compa - Her offense felt better in this game, a bit?  Might be more things being weak relatively to magic damage.  It was still fairly poor, but not completely fail.  Healing came in really handy in the early and mid-game, and she was still in my backup slots at the end of game and did come out during a late-game boss or two for MT healing.
IF - More or less the same as the first game: great early on, her specials are still badly overcosted for what they do, and she gets worse and worse as the game goes on because she just stops getting power attacks and her rush attacks are never more than 3 hits.  Her break moves are super-useful in that band of the game where break moves are useful at all though.
Cave - Probably the best character in this game not named Nepgear, and arguably better at times.  Full Option Attack or whatever is stupidly powerful line damage with a stupidly low MP cost; for much of the game it would OHKO entire encounters, or nearly so, and she could spam it with relative impunity.  Even beyond that, her normal attack strings are pretty good, and she can competently do both physical and magical damage.  Never left my party once she joined.
5pb. - Pretty lackluster.  I used her as filler for a short while and she didn't impress.  Pure mage and you get better pure mages not long after her.
Falcom - Basically Nepgear- without HDD.  Solid character nonetheless, and pretty tanky.  Never left my party once she joined.
MarvelousAQL - So-so.  Good for building EXE drive.

I have to go so more details will have to wait.  Holy shit the Conquest Ending is probably the most depressing thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 02, 2015, 01:37:04 AM »
FF:RK - So after talking with DJ last night a bit about how it is "okay".  Today I got in to a fight with wind thing from FF4 and it still has the jump gimmick at the end of a series of fights that chew up a fuck load of stamina.

Fuck that.