Author Topic: Female dress and consent  (Read 2830 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Female dress and consent
« on: June 09, 2016, 01:47:43 AM »
So I was reading this article about a female cosplayer at a fighting tournament:

http://shoryuken.com/2016/06/08/experiences-of-a-female-cosplayer-and-a-word-from-combo-breakers-tournament-organizer/

And I was wondering how everyone felt about the way women dress.  Obviously some of the things that happened to her are inexscusable (getting pulled into a guy's lap), but I'm not sure that all of them are (photos without consent).

Maybe I'm a male chauvinist pig, but my personal view of it is that women that dress immodestly have no right to complain about being stared at.  By immodest I mean tits hanging out and/or ass cheeks exposed.  Other cultures have different standards, up to the hijab in Muslim countries.

I don't think women should be touched without consent.  As far as verbal harassment, I'm not sure how I feel about it - let's say halfway between my feelings on leering and touching.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Female dress and consent
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:14:20 AM »
I look at it this way.

I wouldn't want someone taking pics of me eating a burger at a food court without asking.
I wouldn't want someone taking picks of my arse crack at a Magic Tournament without asking.

I wouldn't want someone taking a pic of my Mileena cosplay without asking.

Especially in a day and age of the internet where I have 0 control over how it gets broadcast or distributed.  All the possible exposure of international news with none of the signing release forms or anything.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:59:12 AM »
Celebrities may not want pictures taken of them in public places but it's allowed.  Not allowed is sneaking into their backyard to take pictures of them by their pool.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 04:39:17 AM »
I wouldn't want someone taking a pic of my Mileena cosplay without asking.

I guess I would frame the question as, "is a photographer at a convention justified in thinking that women in costumes have implicitly consented to be photographed?"

There's a couple obvious poles here: up on stage = yes. eating a cheeseburger = no. just kinda walking around? in a convention hall? iunno.  The US doesn't really have a strong "don't photograph strangers" impulse like apparently Japan and some other countries have...

(caveat to all of this: don't be creepy about it.  In fact, don't be creepy?)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:41:34 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 05:02:19 AM »
get on my level social norms

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 06:36:01 AM »
Quote from: Captain K
Maybe I'm a male chauvinist pig, but my personal view of it is that women that dress immodestly have no right to complain about being stared at.

Quote from: Jim
In fact, don't be creepy?

So yeah this pretty much. How would you feel if somebody was staring at you? I've had it happen, and I certainly don't enjoy it. And I don't have to be nearly as worried about if the person staring at me in a creepy fashion is planning to sexually assault me. Looking is fine; just have the sense to know when looking crosses the boundary into something creepy.

I feel similarly about photographs mostly. Unless the person is up on a stage (where yeah, I'd say there's an implicit consent given), I'd generally think it's right to ask permission to photo someone at a con. I'd expect the answer would usually be yes, especially if you do it in a way that makes you sound like a decent human instead of a creepy stalker ("Love your outfit! Would you mind if I took a photo?") but it's good to check, y'know? This just all seems like basic courtesy to me.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
Speaking from experience, general convention etiquette is if you want specific shots of a cosplayer that you should ask their permission. General longshots are cool, but if you really want to snag somebody who is just hanging, go and ask them for permission.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »
Well, it might be somewhat different for a fighting game tournament convention?

Like, at a general "We are gathered to show our fandom!" convention, half of the point of the event is to show off cosplay. It seems consent might be slightly more implicit in that instance rather than if you decide to wear cosplay to a fighting game tournament where the point is more about the competition and the convention that springs up around it is kind of an afterthought?

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 04:10:57 PM »
And so far, all of the replies to this topic are from men >_>

I've had some messed up photograph experiences at conventions.  Situations where I actually consented to take a picture with someone, and then after agreeing got a sense of why he was so enthusiastic to get a picture, and really, really wished I hadn't agreed.

Most of the time it's fine, though, but asking someone first is often better for a variety of reasons.  Like...I don't always keep every piece of my costume on.  Maybe there's a hat or a face mask that I took off for a few minutes, and I want you to actually take a picture of the full costume, not a picture of the costume with a few pieces missing.  You'll get a better picture if you ask, so why not ask?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 04:19:41 PM »

Pretty sure that's just statistics in this case. There's like 4 regular female posters on this board compared to like 30-40 guys?

But I'm also not sure what the point of that comment was. I feel bad after reading it, like I'm somehow at fault for having the audacity to post my opinion while also being male?

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 05:33:40 PM »
Having been to a few conventions and talked with some females who are super big into cosplaying (big enough to be quite well known in the local cosplay community, even) it is, in fact, a super big deal to ask for permission to photograph someone if they're not on stage, and even then not all stages are okay with photographs being taken by anyone but professionals. Always read up on the rules to each event, and always ask permission to photograph someone. Even longshots are kinda iffy, and the etiquette there is to try not to have anybody in particular stand out and/or to try not to get any faces in it.

Cosplay is not consent, not even for photographs.

That's what I was told, and I could definitely tell that people are way happier to be photographed and to show off their cosplay when they're asked permission.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 05:57:37 PM »
A quick point about this thread's title, sex =/= gender, the latter's norms of which you seem to be getting at in your post. *Edited at two areas

And I was wondering how everyone felt about the way women dress.  Obviously some of the things that happened to her are inexscusable (getting pulled into a guy's lap), but I'm not sure that all of them are (photos without consent).

What's the point in trying to determine exactly where the woman may have been complicit? "Yeah, that's bad, that's bad... Oh, oh, look! She asked for it! Justified!" If you're not there, why try act as if you were? I don't have any feelings about the way anyone dresses, but I most certainly begin to care when people try to associate or shame specific behavior because of said dress.

Maybe I'm a male chauvinist pig, but my personal view of it is that women that dress immodestly have no right to complain about being stared at.  By immodest I mean tits hanging out and/or ass cheeks exposed.  Other cultures have different standards, up to the hijab in Muslim countries.

I definitely think your examples of manhood and womanhood have something to do with the way you interpret the world, but I'd never sweep it aside so quickly with that description. Women have the right to choose and say whatever they feel, and to argue that this is even a right one should have or have taken away is ridiculous. Let's not parallel religious and cultural standards with our own; if our normalized culture puts anyone at physical or psychological risk, then we need to re-evaluate our own.

A too simplistic example: it is legal to be topless as a woman in NYC and Austin. Being casually shirtless as a man is a thing neverending, but which sex & gender tend to be harassed in ways that shouldn't be acceptable? Queer and hetero women, typically by hetero men. Where do they learn that this is acceptable? At home, at school, on the streets, magazines, "but men are men, we are animals!" It's crazy that the only time conversation tries to make exceptions for humans as thinking beings comes around when men just want to molest women/men/zim. *** Edit, yes I know men ARE indeed harassed, it's even entered mainstream tv that flips the gaze in the Mindy Project/Broad City & generally wish that folks could also talk about these dynamics for cismen.

I don't think women should be touched without consent.  As far as verbal harassment, I'm not sure how I feel about it - let's say halfway between my feelings on leering and touching.

No person should verbally impose their opinions or exploitation of a woman or man, because they are not your object, you do not know them, address people as you would anyone you respect. If you choose to yell disrespectfully to a woman or a man because you think them disrespectful, well that says more about you than them. So that's my opinion. Keep your stereotype: construction worker cat calling to yourself, which tends to conclude in even more violent language when a woman verbally retaliates.  *** Edit: Just in case, the "you" in this paragraph is not you CaptainK, I'm speaking aloud to those who don't find that problematic.

Sexual harassment at cons is a culture that receives too many passes. Some conventions have sexual harassment hotlines, but I dare say a lot of its moderation can come from the men/women actually practicing respectful boundaries. When I attend AWA this year, I am actually developing a real-time photo tumblr of the harassers, because these hotlines are just bureaucratic slaps on the wrist.

Rant below:
----
Like, I get it: lots of nubile young gamer boys who see balloon tits are really excited to see flesh and live women cosplaying a sexualized idea of woman that the gaming community has yet to collectively say "no, this is not what we like!" And many of these young gamer boys are 30+ year old men who are, I will go there, better friends with their hands than folks in real life. Or, these are just folks riding the nerdcore popularity and are excited to see all the freaks. Or, folks who really respect boundaries and just want to go and enjoy their time. But the convention turns into this massive heteromale gaming fantasy world where they really think that it is okay to take photos under people's skirts, or say things they feel deserve no repercussions, or fondle or lure women back to their hotels, cars and corners. But what they're doing is no different than the disgusting acts men do outside of a convention space, whether it's on a bus, in middle school, in a college dorm, at a McDonald's, and I repeat: because she is in a bra does not mean touching or sharing your perverse feelings is okay. It is not okay at all.

As to the responsibility of the cosplayers? If it's their choice to dress as a shitty character known more for their vagina rays than their ATK and INT skills, then so be it. I imagine they are already well acquainted with the heteromale gaze dominating games and know that folks stare. When I put on my 6" heels and a nice form-fitting halter to go out, I hope that people recognize how good I feel to be in, and own, my own body. But when your stares are consistently connected with, let's be honest, violent physical & verbal harassment, then Houston we have a problem. This is one reason I have not cosplayed yet as Freya, because I would likely sock some of the people in their face if they ever crossed from the line of just staring.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:30:50 PM by dunie »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 07:35:41 PM »

Pretty sure that's just statistics in this case. There's like 4 regular female posters on this board compared to like 30-40 guys?

But I'm also not sure what the point of that comment was. I feel bad after reading it, like I'm somehow at fault for having the audacity to post my opinion while also being male?

In the realm of opinions on how women should react and feel it is super common for the conversation to be full of dudes.  This is an expansive problem bigger than the DL itself.

Welcome to feminism, even as an ally we can stil contribute to a problem subconsciously/passively when the problem is one of exposure and volume.

Just like the answer to a wage gap isn't for me to quit my job to lower the average cis white male wage aggregate, the answer here isn't necessarily to not be part of the discussion, but listening and understanding go a long way.

Also,  yea what Idun said otherwise, I got nothing more to add there

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 09:12:11 PM »
In the realm of opinions on how women should react and feel it is super common for the conversation to be full of dudes.  This is an expansive problem bigger than the DL itself.

This was why I tried to reframe the question.  On base this isn't about how women *should* feel in a certain situation, but rather how they *do* feel, as far as we can tell.  And Magey pretty much answered the question.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
Sorry if I offended anyone, just wanted to put my thoughts in order and see how others felt.  Admittedly I am an old man living in the past and it's kind of hard to keep up with the rapid pace of change in society the past couple of decades.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 12:32:24 AM »
You wanted to have the discussion and that is a step in the same direction right?  Seeking understanding is a part of any journey.

There is a question in there, was anyone offended by you asking?  Did you just get honest open responses from people on a topic that is something they are passionate about?

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 03:33:17 AM »
I know I responded pretty firmly, but all in good spirit. Besides, both sides of the coin are valid: exposure/volume AND more men talking to more men about gender topics so as to not burden what women are here as the representatives. You know, I was googling this con stuff a few months ago before I developed my Tumblr project, and I am really keen on learning about the sexual dynamics of more con crossdressers, too.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 05:12:35 AM »
Well, it might be somewhat different for a fighting game tournament convention?

Like, at a general "We are gathered to show our fandom!" convention, half of the point of the event is to show off cosplay. It seems consent might be slightly more implicit in that instance rather than if you decide to wear cosplay to a fighting game tournament where the point is more about the competition and the convention that springs up around it is kind of an afterthought?

Nah. Conventional knowledge, even at things like Comic Con or even, are "Ask to take the photo, please."

Hell, lemme quote from BABSCon 2015's rules (Bay Area MLP con):

"Please ask other Attendees for permission before taking their pictures. If they request, verbally or by gesture, not to be photographed, please respect this. Failure to comply will be treated as harassment."

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 05:16:57 AM »

nonono, don't feel bad about having an opinion while being male.  The DL is super feminist, and I love it.  And your perspective is certainly valuable in this conversation--you will be a lot better than I will at explaining concepts to a guy.  (I'm famously really bad at understanding male perspective XD).

I'm just saying that there's a difference between theorycrafting being female at a con and first-hand experience.  Stuff you think will be a big deal sometimes turns out to be nothing, and other stuff that sounds minor turns out to be much more grating than you might expect.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 06:14:53 AM »

I find that's a common thing in most social justice-oriented communities.  Which is fine to a point; like, yeah, I'm a straight-passing white dude, and I probably give off creeper vibes because I don't talk to people, I get that can be uncomfortable if you're trying to discuss issues.  But there does seem to be a lack of awareness that at some point you actually do have to talk to and sway to your side rich old white dudes if you want to make positive changes in society at large.  And a lot of times I feel like a lot of activists out there don't really put any thought into how to bridge that gap.

Personally I try to live by a "Look, Don't Stare" policy for people in general, and tend to be self-conscious about looking at people too long if I have moments of "do I know them or am I wrong here."  But that's being an awkward weirdo talking.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 06:40:05 AM »
But there does seem to be a lack of awareness that at some point you actually do have to talk to and sway to your side rich old white dudes if you want to make positive changes in society at large.  And a lot of times I feel like a lot of activists out there don't really put any thought into how to bridge that gap.

eat the rich

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »
A bit like telling a french fry to eat a fat dude at McDonalds.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 07:18:47 AM »
That's the general thrust of the idea, yeah.

When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich.

But seriously, I am all for social change being taken in measured steps where it can be an it is appropriate.  People that are down to discuss and open to change?  Go for it.

On the other hand sometimes shits fucked and social discourse should perhaps take a tone that at least speaks more to the emphasise the impact of what's going on than to meet some kind of social acceptability that is consistently dictated by the people in power that are/or are part of the problem.  It can work for some people but not everyone has that luxury, that time or that impact.

Radicals are a catalyst for change.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 08:09:53 AM »
Well.  I'm more thinking of it from the opposite direction.  If you have troubles including people on the periphery of the oppressive class (Old Rich White Dudes, so for these purposes people that meet any two of those four attributes), then you risk turning them against you.  When the problem you had in the first place is that the oppressive class have the numbers, capital, and legal weight to throw against you.  So alienating them entirely means you're essentially biding your time until they, like, die off before you can get anything done.

At the same time you can't just dilute the message to avoid hurting feelings of people who mostly just sat around going "what, there are things WRONG in the world?  Oh god that's terrible I had no idea!!", to be sure.  But at a certain point you sorta have to tailor your arguments to audiences that have not done the required reading, just in the interest of getting shit done.  And when you do you have to keep in mind what parts will turn them off and find some common ground.  Like, half of americans are against abortions in most cases.  But most of that half are still okay with abortions in cases of rape or life threatening situations and the like.  Okay!  So... maybe draw attention to areas of the country where teens had to spend thousands of dollars to travel hundreds of miles to their nearest clinic only to be turned away because they hadn't had a pre-procedure screening.  It's terrible, right?  But you can't get bogged down talking about how it's a fundamental right and how a lot of the arguments against abortions are hogwash or whatever the fuck.  You just run into the human brain fail that says "I already decided this so anyone saying something contrary is lying to me".  Laser focus on the tiny area of overlap.

A lot of activists I see stories about don't seem to grasp that approach, and it's annoying to no end.  Get shit done, work on telling everyone how wrong they are when they actually come asking about it.  Doing anything before then just makes them push back.\

This is why I'm not an activist, because I'm not very good at lying or talking to people.  I'm more the "sit around thinking of shit and then doing nothing because I'm a horrible garbage person" type.  But that's not super relevant to this discussion.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »
Lol, dude literally almost every discussion with activists, especially on the internet, has milquetoast assholes telling them to check their tone and appeal better to the hegemonic power structures they're rallying against.

Case in point...