Author Topic: Writeup checker- setting standard length  (Read 2051 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Writeup checker- setting standard length
« on: January 13, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=4479.0

Hal talks about his writeup checker. I've talked to Snow and Tai in private about this, but figure it's worth bringing out here. We set a new standard length for writeups in characters (For reference I average about 700 characters in a normal writeup).  It's also an easy way to measure  your writeup length vs the person you're against. Perhaps make people match writeups within 100 characters? Would that help with editing?

Also, 400-800 sound good for writeup range?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Writeup checker- setting standard length
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:33:42 AM »
400-800 characters is kind of a broad range.  I can see logic with each respective limit: 300-400 makes sure that you get either a nice bit of analysis, a nice bit of hype, or a little bit of each (best case) whereas some matches have enough hype and analysis to warrant a longer writeup.  (Though, assuming that 10 characters would average to 1 word, 80 words does seem like more than a standard paragraph.)

The problem that I see is that the current maximum is twice the current minimum.  If roughly-even writeups is a priority, then I would rather narrow the character range (difference between min and max) to 200,  though I'm not sure where to hard-code the limit.  I mean, Light likely doesn't warrant 800 character writeups, yet in most cases a 300 character Godlike writeup would be a mockery.

But hey, I don't do this regularly, so how should I know what's "good enough" per match.

Taishyr

Re: Writeup checker- setting standard length
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
400-800 is still rather relatively easy to adjust for, for most editors; requires slightly more effort but they're matchable.

This is mainly to kick out the 200 vs. 1500 writeups.