Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129352 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2010, 03:45:20 PM »
Ephraim: 6.5 Good, but FE8's easy and others can do his job better.
Myrrh: 7. Manakete Smash.

Must... not... troll..
...must... not... troll...
lolololololololololol

*falls over and dies*
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
Chrono Trigger: is a balanced cast generally
Crono: 5/10. Pretty average. Good speed, okay damage, no variety.
Marle: 6/10. No damage, but great variety. Double techs do bring her up some.
Lucca: 6/10. MVP at endgame for raw offence... fire is great, she generally has the best damage and it's all GT/MT. Protect helps for surviving Grand Stone too I suppose. On the other hand, earlier she is just a bit too slow.
Frog: 4/10. Kinda the inferior healer overall, and damage isn't really any better than Marle's.
Robo: 7/10. Slow early, but this does get fixed as time goes on and everything else about him (damage, healing, variety in general) is just awesome.
Ayla: 8/10. Best physical damage, high speed, some healing (great healing with Frog), high damage combos in general, and stealing... not sure how much credit I should give it, but CT does have the best stealing ever pretty much.
Magus: 6/10. MT melt your face off. Sorta like Lucca, except only around when Lucca is good. But I guess not quite as good since Dark Matter < Flare, so they can get the same score.

Disclaimer: I rate FE on a different scale than most games. This probably makes it a bit easier to get 9 and 10. I may edit some of these if characters are in danger of being overrated in the final standings compared to other games (e.g. Ninian is a 9 to me but so is Cecilia and Ninian probably isn't as good as Cecilia).

Fire Emblem Lords, Dancers and Other Unique Classes:
Roy: 4/10. He's good if you let him cap early, then sucks. But... not very good. Fast Alan/Lance/Lilina supports are his best attribute.
Merlinus(6): 2/10. His function isn't too useful.
Elphin: 7/10. FE bards are always good, these two are worse than most though due to being frail.
Lalum: 7/10.
Fa: 4/10. Exp ranking booster. Probably a 2 if I didn't care about this.

Lyn: 7.5/10. She brings offence. This is cool.
*Nils: 9/10. Dancer + durability + the rings.
Eliwood: 6/10. As befits Eliwood, lives up to neither his hype nor his anti-hype. He's pretty solid but I wanted a bit more speed or durability.
Hector: 7/10. Eliwood trading some speed for quite a bit of Def, which probably comes out ahead. Wolf Beil removes any doubt.
Merlinus(7): DNR, you have no real choice in how he is used.
Athos: 8.5/10. I rate characters based on how good they are when they're around, assuming they're around long enough to have real use. Athos certainly does, Light is a bitch and he makes it much easier.

Eirika: 8/10. Loads of offence (broken weapons help), durability is initially suspect but becomes great, has move on promo. I'd say she's the best lord between FE4 and FE10, but she has to deal with...
Ephraim: 9.5/10. This guy. Dear god. Would be a 10 if not for a somewhat late promotion. Loads of Atk, Spd, Def, and evade. TWO ridiculously broken weapons. Horse on promotion. Yeah.
Tethys: 8/10. Dancer with some cool supports, though not as initially durable as Ninian and no rings.
Myrrh: 3/10. Fa with better stats, but no Exp ranking.

Ike(9): 7/10. His stats are good: durability and speed are very nice, attack is decent... but he competes with the raw broken that is FE9 paladins and fliers and is stuck with the trash that are FE9 swords, so he has no 2 range, a late promotion, can't move after attacking, and only has 7 move. Was one of the LVPs of my Fixed Mode playthrough. That said, still decent enough for this score.
Mist(9): 7/10. Best staff user. Durability could be better, but gets hax offence if you drop Arms Scrolls on her,
Reyson(9): 9.5/10. Reyson + paladin swarm own puny game before it can blink.
Elincia(9): 3.5/10. Lategame filler healer if you desperately need one, but she's not very good.

Micaiah: 6.5/10. Yeah, she needs speed. On the other hand, if she had it she'd probably be broken. Third best unpromoted DB member after Nolan and Jill, provides a devastating offensive punch and then switches over to healer once it's time to no longer fight knights and cavalry.
Rafiel: 6/10. His lack of canto means he loses out badly to Reyson in over half of his available chapters, and generally his personal chapters favour herons less. Still, heron.
Black Knight: DNR I think? No idea how to consider him. Amazing in his three chapters (although worse than Nailah in one and not around for the first 4-5 turns in another) but yeah.
Elincia(10): 9/10. Yay, broken healer with ridiculous offence.
Leanne: 7/10. Again, loses points for competing directly with Reyson.
Ike(10): 9.5/10. I realise I forgot to mention Ragnell in FE9. This is because Ike has it for 6% of his maps so it hardly bears mentioning. In FE10? Try 50%. Broken weapon, broken stats, and Canto units were nerfed so Ike is now looking really, really good. His endgame could be better I guess but whatever, unless you are overrating that (since he's not -bad- there) this shouldn't drop his score much.
Mist(10): 5/10. Uh she's a decent healer in split paths at least.
Reyson(10): 10/10. Even more broken than in 9 now that he has more move and Grass/Stone/Gem options. This says something.
Sanaki: 2.5/10. Kinda bad.
Lehran: DNR, too annoying to get. (and yes, I've done it)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:57:47 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »
Chrono Trigger:
Crono: 7/10. Revival is good, and he's got decent damage of both types, but.. well, he's just that. He's decent. Skillset's not bad, damage isn't bad, durability's not bad, nothing stands out as good. Bonus of being available for the whole game, and being forced for most, to help with skillset learning.
Marle: 9.5/10. Healing, revival, Haste, decent magic damage... Part of that godly full-healing combo... Seriously, she only loses half a point despite being relatively slow and frail, since her skillset makes those null points.
Lucca: 5.5/10. She's not bad, but that speed and low durability make her a pain to level up earlier on, and that makes her harder to use later on.
Frog: 8/10. Strength and healing, with some magic backup. The reason him and Robo are both 8s is because he's got the MT full healing with Marle to gain him an extra point.
Robo: 8/10. TAAAANK. Also, MT healing. Both points he's missing are for speed, since he's got good magic and strength, MT healing... He's basically
Ayla: 5.5/10. Found her the least useful by far at endgame. She's relatively useful earlier due to high strength, but she's too much of a one-trick wonder once Kiss stops being useful.
Magus: 5/10. Decent MT magic, but his support is useful in so few situations, and support techs really are the key element in CT. Also, late-joiner.

Eirika: 6/10. I found her strength was low, and her good evasion did not make up for it. Lost a number of times due to her getting killed late on. ;o
Ephraim: 9/10. Eph, on the other hand, is like Ike in FE9. Technically available for the whole game (obviously depends on path, but... yeah, I'll take each of these two on their own paths only) and is a fucking tank who just kills stuff.
Tethys: 7.5/10. See Reyson.
Myrrh: 8.5/10. Amazing in-game, but... wa~ay too late. Gah.

Ike(9): 9/10. Solid durabilities, good strength, 2 range (about 2/3 of the way through the game)... Only thing he could really use is being mounted in some way - flying and Canto are about the only things he's missing.
Mist(9): 6/10. She would be a 9/10 for me, but that's 'cause I lost Rhys early in my first playthrough, so she was dedicated healer for 90% of the game. Her 6 points are for Canto on a healer and for appearing in the Black Knight fight.
Reyson(9): 7.5/10. Double-use is always good fun. Shame he's frail with low movement.
Elincia(9): 5/10. Late-game healer. Doesn't really do much else, since she's too weak/frail to kill stuff and you can't risk putting her in danger.

Micaiah: 6.5/10. Decent-ish mage, but nothing special. Gains a point for free healing.
Black Knight: 9/10. Yeah, tears shit up. Loses a point for experience stealing.
Elincia(10): 6/10. Marginally better than FE9. Available for more and stronger, but also loses a point for that retarded "Keep Elincia safe!" stage where she's an ally. (Since she's allied, yes, I count this as part of her in-game use.)
Ike(10): 8/10. Exactly like the FE9 one. Tank, good strength, could use Canto/flying. Loses an extra point for being available less and for having a wider choice of alternatives in FE10.
Mist(10): 2.5/10. ahahahaha. Biggest drop from FE9, where she was actually useful. Now, Mist is too slow/frail to do anything worthwhile, and there are MUCH better healers available from near the start (as opposed to just the one for the majority of FE9)
Sanaki: Ehh. 2.5/10. Late-game and there are better mages available, and mages in FE10 aren't even that great.

I'm probably missing a lot on CT, but this is just from my playthrough, so it seems fair to judge on that for in-game use. Can't remember FE10 well enough to comment on some (herons, mainly), so... nothing there. =P

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »
2 range (about 2/3 of the way through the game)

You have pretty interesting math if Chapter 28 out of 29 is 2/3 of the way through the game. <_<

That or you mean the 25-use-per-game Sonic Sword which is better used by someone with an actual Magic stat such as Tanith or Mist since they can actually one-round enemies with it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »
Chrono Trigger:
Crono: 9/10. Always useful with good melee and good magic.
Marle: 4/10. Meh.
Lucca: 4/10. Mehx2.
Frog: 3/10 Meh.
Robo: 3/10 Mehx4.
Ayla: 6/10. Charm's useful and her techs are nice.
Magus: 8/10. Comes late but is really damned useful for when you have him.

I could do FE7/8 but I can't make myself care enough to.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2010, 04:45:01 PM »
2 range (about 2/3 of the way through the game)

You have pretty interesting math if Chapter 28 out of 29 is 2/3 of the way through the game. <_<

That or you mean the 25-use-per-game Sonic Sword which is better used by someone with an actual Magic stat such as Tanith or Mist since they can actually one-round enemies with it.

Ehh, misremembered, apparently. Either way, doesn't change much, since that was mostly about it being late-game anyways.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »
Chrono Trigger:
Crono: Decent enough.  Trashy magic stat keeps his magic from being too brutal.  6/10
Marle: Early healer.  Okay at utility but needs to not be so slow.  5/10
Lucca: Best mage, but again, speed issues.  Though those get slightly better.  5/10
Frog: LVP.  Not much good at anything, really.  3.5/10
Robo: Tank.  Except against magic though CT wasn't really good about punishing that I don't think.  7/10
Ayla: Smashes and steals.  While she's great at the former, offense is not a huge concern in CT, and the stealing, while nice, is not invalueable.  7/10
Magus: Needs to be around more.  5/10

Roy: Late promotion hurts so much.  4/10
Merlinus(6): Uh, there's no real point to brining him on maps ever.  Abstain.
Elphin: Eh, bards are useful on paper but never really panned out that way for me.  5/10
Lalum: See Elphin.  5/10
Fa: Hahaha to caring about ranks.  The weapon limitation/starting at Lv1 make her garbage.  1/10

Lyn: Speed is cool.  Not as relatively useful later due to lolFE enemies but having it early is nice.  7/10
*Nils: Well, they defailed the caps and gave him buffs.  7/10
Eliwood: See NEB.  6/10
Hector: Tank lord.  This is cool.  7/10
Merlinus(7): Abstain.
Athos: Hmmm, on the one hand, he's a one-chapter wonder.  On the other hand, he's dominating in that chapter.  Hm...  guess 6/10 works?

Eirika: Lyn+ with a better unique weapon but a later promotion.  7.5/10
Ephraim: Good lord the cheese he brings.  9/10
Tethys: Nils minus the buffs.  6/10
Myrrh: Oh look it's Fa with 20 more weapon uses.  TOTALLY AWESOME AM I RITE.  No, seriously, wtf at the hype.  2/10

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »

Roy: 4/10. What everybody else said already. Hurt a lot by his late promotion and is mostly beneficial as a support partner to two of the best units in the game (Hi Alan/Lance!). SoS is hax but he gets that even later than Ike and his Ragnell IIRC. So lol to that.
Merlinus(6): DNR. 1/10 if we have to rank him and 0 is not an option. Random basically sums it up.
Elphin: 6/10
Lalum: 6/10. These two get the same score because they pretty much have the exact same problem but exact same strengths as well. Caps suck (Hi 20 stat caps) which obviously doesn't help them at all.
Fa: 2/10. Ew. L1 + limited weapon use? But at least she is not Sophia and can actually hurt something.

Lyn: 7/10. Offense is nice. She can hold her own for a little while even without some strength growth. Fast A support with Florina helps her out and its a mutual beneficial support to boot. Bows are a nice edition on promotion giving her a range two option. She does take a while to get going though which is where I deduct some points. Not all that amazing early on but is pretty good and worth fielding later.
*Nils: 8/10. Hey guys, the fail caps are gone! Also, we now have additional stat booster rings!
Eliwood: 5/10. Exactly what you would expect. Gets a horse on promotion and a 2 range option. Promotion is delayed on his story however and his stat spread is made such that he's completely dependent on the RNG to determine what he does. With like an equal 33/33/33 for screwed/average/blessed >_>.
Hector: 7.5/10. Hector's speed is harder to fix than Lyn's strength. But his defense is worth more in the early on chapters before the two become really good. Hector also has the whole delayed promtion on his own story so that also holds him back. Still, both are better than Roy by miles.
Merlinus(7): DNR since his function isn't necessary as a combat unit (more like item storage). If we actually rank him, he's probably a 4 or something. Needs to be babied before his promotion. Then he becomes super master donkey rider and never gets hit because of fail hit on enemies >_>
Athos: 7/10. Yeah, he's makes LIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiight! a joke. But getting him so late means he can only do so much.

Eirika: 7.5/10. Similar spread as Lyn IIRC. No 2 range option BUT she does get a horsey, so I guess the two balance off. Later relative promotion to Lyn also holds her back a bit and I think the stat growth dependent on Eph route or Eir route also change things a bit, so...
Ephraim: 9.5/10. I have no idea what you're on Djinn >_>. Eph is like...retarded. Stupidly good bases, great stat spread, 2 broken ass weapons, horse on promotion, good support options...he can pretty much ONE MAN the entire Normal game after a little while with no trouble because he's so retardedly good even compared to everyone else in his game. The only thing holding him back is the promotion time. His stat caps hurt, so Eph's one of the few non FE10 type characters that actually has a pretty good chance of hard ramming into the caps. However, this doesn't subtract any points from his score because no enemy even reaches the point of where Eph goes "man, I wish I had better caps" ie: They won't matter unless you do Link Arena.
Tethys: 7/10 I suppose. Not as good early and lack of rings is enough for a point.
Myrrh: 3/10. Bleh. I can appreciate rankings, I just never really cared much on them. But Fa with better stats is a good enough boost.

Ike(9): 8/10. Largely solid for most of the game. His promotion isn't delayed like hell like the other previous lords. Ike also has some decent support options in there, one with one of the best units in the game. He never quite dominates though. I blame hax mounted units. Hi Oscar.
Mist(9): 6.5/10. Is a healer. You have to blow an Arms Scroll (or was it two) for her to use the SS so there is a definite opportunity cost there (along with the Hammernes needed for fixing its limited charges). She's faster than Rhys, but needs to be caught up a bit so you're likely blowing some BEXP there. On the other hand, she also gets a horsey on promotion.
Reyson(9): 9/10. Hey guize, I can gives 4 of really gud unitz to muv again. Broken as hell, but doesn't have innate move and act again and has to wait a while to refresh 4 units.
Elincia(9): 3/10. What CK said. Pure novelty unit and you have an extra objective of keeping her alive if you deploy her. But still, flying staff user is pretty neat and she can be a decent second healer of sorts.

Micaiah: 6.5/10. Speed is bad, but she can at least make up for it a little bit due to the 1-2 range option, Thani, Sacrifice/Wrath/Resolve combos. Later on, you use her primarily as a healer (or should) instead of for pure offense. Really frail, but that can be said for many of the units on the DB team, so it hurts her less relatively.
Rafiel: 6/10. Frail + No canto + loses move on transforming hurts a ton.
Black Knight: DNR. For all that he rules face in 1-9 (One survives). Lesser credit on 1-E, 3-6 and 4-3 (lol2move).
Elincia(10): 9/10. Amiti: 15 might unbreakable Brave sword that adds +3 to both defensive stats. That alone would be what, but then she also has some awesome growths, flight and is adequate in combat to boot. Don't see why you would deduct points for her being controlled by the AI - that's like deducting points away from Haar because he doesn't actively seek out your party and talk to Marcia, thereby causing you to waste a tun on offense talking to him.
Leanne: 7/10. Still really frail and now she can only refresh two units at a time, but hey, Canto!
Ike(10): 9.5/10. Um...the best analogy I could draw is that Ike is pretty much the same as Eph barring bad Res and no horsey. However, both of these factors are mitigated due to low frequency of mages (specifically ones with crit) and calvary units being hit pretty hard by terrain in FE10. Earlier promotion, still hax bases, decent enough growths, best support affinity, and broken ass weapon that actually has a good 2 range option for many maps to come probably makes him equivalent to Eph. Still not the best unit in this game. (WHAT)
Mist(10): 5/10. Worse relatively and she starts off pretty damn bad. However, she's still the best healer on the GM route unless you crown Soren early. So she has a decent period where she is helping out.
Reyson(10): 10/10. So um...yeah. Take FE9 Reyson. Now give him innate canto, and the ability to practically instant transform into Heron form so he can refresh 4 units from turn 2. Then give him loads of items to maintain his transform state. Yeeeeeeeeah. Why helo thar free 4 units getting to act again
Sanaki: 2/10. *gets Meteor'd in the face across the field by Tal*
Lehran: DNR for all intents purposes. Otherwise, 5/10 I guess? He starts off away from the main group and you need to have someone give them a blessed tome for him to do any work. On the other hand, his stats are certainly great and he can help out defensively even if you don't have that extra blessed tome on hand.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:54:33 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2010, 08:04:18 PM »
I must confess, I have no idea how to rank CT characters. The entire game is basically "just pick any three characters you want and you will plow this game in the ass."

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2010, 08:14:08 PM »
Chrono Trigger:
Crono: 6/10
Marle: 6/10
Lucca: 5/10
Frog: 4/10
Robo: 7/10
Ayla: 7/10
Magus: 6/10

Roy: can i rate ssbm form/10
Merlinus(6): what/10
Elphin: who/10
Lalum: who/10
Fa: can i rate srw form/10

Lyn: 8/10
*Nils: 8/10
Eliwood: 5/10
Hector: 6/10
Merlinus(7): tent/10
Athos: 7/10

Eirika: 8/10
Ephraim: 8/10
Tethys: 6/10
Myrrh: 6/10

Ike(9): 8/10
Mist(9): 8/10
Reyson(9): 7/10
Elincia(9): 6/10

Micaiah: 6/10
Rafiel: 6/10
Black Knight: 7/10
Elincia(10): 9/10
Leanne: 7.5/10
Ike(10): 9/10
Mist(10): 6/10
Reyson(10): 8/10
Sanaki: 4/10
Lehran: lame/10
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:06:12 AM by Talaysen »

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2010, 12:40:18 AM »
Missed last one, sad.

Wild ARMs:
Rudy Roughknight: 7.4/10.  Smaller parties tend to have characters more valuable, really.  For Rudy...he is the tank of the group, and once money gets put into his ARMs he can do crazy stuff to randoms and bosses alike.  Theoretical max damage is the lowest (can't break 9999), he's slow, but that's about it.  Loses a bit for not being around for a point, but he's still good.
Jack Van Burace: 7.9/10.  Having some speed is nice, and he works as a support healer and/or offensive clearer.  The stealing puts him a little above Rudy, as his variety is better, but they're both there to fill similar roles.  Feels relatively indispensable.
Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde: 10/10.  She has everything...somewhat frail, but the only source of so many important skills - MT healing, support...just...yeah.  My criteria for 10's is not extremely harsh - basically just people that kick ass.  Cecilia fits that.

Disgaea ("Plot" PCs): So few comments...everyone that's not a monster is around a 5.4-5.8/10.  Yeah...
Laharl:
Etna:
Prinny:
Flonne:
Hoggmeiser:
Maderas:
Gordon:
Jennifer:
Thursday:
Kurtis:
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »

Must... not... troll..
lolololololololololol

*falls over and dies*

Seriously. Not. Cool.

You may disagree with my statement, but you made a post to point and laugh and didn't even present an argument.

I haven't played FE8 5 billion times like you FE fanboys. I played it once, and Ephraim wasn't all that useful and causes gameovers if he dies. Manaketes start at Lv 1, but they're still useful right out of the box and I was always able to throw them at things for smash. They were excellent for high-HP units that I didn't want to waste time chipping down or risking my mages with.

And again. Not cool, Ciato. Have some respect for playstyles not your own.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:59:52 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:20 AM »
Chrono Trigger:
Crono: 8/10
Marle: 7/10
Lucca: 5/10
Frog: 7/10
Ayla: 8/10
Magus: 8/10

Roy: 5/10
Merlinus(6): 0/10 Doesnt do a thing. Wastes a slot.
Elphin: 8/10
Lalum: 7/10 Think Elphin had better durability
Fa: 2/10

Lyn: 9/10
*Nils: 10/10 I love dancers
Eliwood: 6/10 average +1 point for rapier
Hector: 10/10
Merlinus(7): 10/10 Doesnt take up a slot, awesome distraction once he can move
Athos: 10/10

Eirika: 9/10
Ephraim: 10/10 As much as I bash DL Ephraims speed, in game his low cap doesnt matter
Tethys: 9/10 Doesnt have Nilsians rings
Myrrh: 7/10 I got her to 20 with about 25 uses of her stone left. Thats good enough for the final fights

Ike(9): 9/10
Mist(9): 8/10
Reyson(9): 9/10
Elincia(9): 5/10

Micaiah: 8/10
Rafiel: 10/10 Herons are hax
Black Knight: 10/10 I'd give him higher if I could. Guy literally cannot die like ever
Elincia(10): 10/10
Leanne: 10/10
Ike(10): 10/10
Mist(10): 6/10 Just seems way worse than her FE9 self
Reyson(10): 10/10 Herons> all
Sanaki: 5/10 shes okay if you raise her
Lehran: DNR Second playthrough and annoying requirements to get? No thanks.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2010, 01:07:03 AM »
Chrono Trigger:
Crono: 7.3/10.  So many characters in CT are so replaceable.  Crono...I tossed him as soon as I could.  Granted, does not mean he's bad.  His combo techs are very good - they keep the party afloat for a long time, and, really, suffice to keep the party afloat for a long time.  Objectively, excellent.
Marle: 2.1/10.  The healing would be good if it were MT...as it is, items heal better, and support spells...really aren't as good in practice as they should be.  Just...bleh.  She's not good.  Her offense is bad, and she's a liability to damage.
Lucca: 5.3/10.  Has offense, but is barely more durable than Marle, but her other stats are better, and she has some additional elemental defense variety.  The MT offense is at least good enough, and her techs are good, particularly with double and triple stuff.
Frog: 4.9/10.  With MT healing and some offense, owns Marle.  Ends up being relatively average, which makes him a little worse compared to the rest of the cast.
Robo: 6.8/10.  Objectively great....I don't know.  MT healing is nice, and he's durable, and his offense is good...he doesn't do great with techs, his Crisis Arm can be hard to control, and some of his other skills aren't great...at least he does have shadow damage.
Ayla: 9.0/10.  Stealing kicks ass, and her speed/other abilities are good enough to keep her high.  It's hard to replace that.
Magus: 7.3/10.  Status immunity, good durability overall, fast, hits all elements...he's good.  Even the late start hurts not that much - the sidequests give craploads of experience and tech points.

Fire Emblem Lords, Dancers and Other Unique Classes: WARNING - RNG FUN ENSUES
Roy: 5/10.  Promotion
Merlinus(6): 5/10.  Holds items.
Elphin: 6.2/10.  Can't break defense at all - worse STR than Lalum.  
Lalum: 6.5/10.  Better overall stats.
Fa: 5.5/10.  Catches up fast, but feels...far weaker than Myrrh, respectively.

Lyn: 6.8/10.  Awful STR, but decent everywhere else.  Also, has a bow.
*Nils: 7.1/10.  DANCES AND PLAYS WITH RINGS
Eliwood: 0.1/10.  Awful.  Gains nothing but luck, is a horrible liability on all maps...the horse helps, but not enough to make him salvageable.
Hector: 9.1/10.  Kicks ass, best axe user in the series.  Gains loads of speed, defense...everything.  RES is a little weak, but...yeah.  Solos the game.
Merlinus(7): 6.2/10.  Items with ninja evasion.  
Athos: 6.2/10.  Feels like he's only an insurance policy...if you make it this far, you probably don't need him.  Still does trivialize the final area of the game.

Eirika: 8.2/10.  Solidly statistically strong super special.  
Ephraim: 9.1/10.  Better and hotter than Eirika.  
Tethys: 6.5/10.  Lalum.
Myrrh: 7.9/10.  Hates not having weapon charges, but at least delivers way, way more than Fa.

Ike(9): 9.1/10.  Very balanced and excellent overall.
Mist(9): 7.5/10.  Mounted healer is excellent.
Reyson(9): 7.5/10.  Excellent
Elincia(9): 7.5/10.  Mounted flying healer, though less offense.

Micaiah: 7.0/10.  Fast, physical tank, which the Dawn Brigade loves.  Offense is a little shaky, but...she works well.
Rafiel: 7.5/10.  Wants Canto....
Black Knight: 9.3/10.  Unbeatable for two very important maps...not helpful for the 3rd, but...Enough of a help in the other two I don't care
Elincia(10): 9/10.  Frailish, but...otherwise super special awesome.
Leanne: 8/10.  Flies with Canto.
Ike(10): 9.1/10.  Same as above.
Mist(10): 8.4/10.  Fast, excellent growth everywhere...yeah.
Reyson(10): 8.8/10.  Best Heron overall.
Sanaki: 6.8/10.  You have at least most elements with her!  And a unique weapon.
Lehran: 7.5/10.  Stat power?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »

Must... not... troll..
lolololololololololol

*falls over and dies*

Seriously. Not. Cool.

You may disagree with my statement, but you made a post to point and laugh and didn't even present an argument.

I haven't played FE8 5 billion times like you FE fanboys. I played it once, and Ephraim wasn't all that useful and causes gameovers if he dies. Manaketes start at Lv 1, but they're still useful right out of the box and I was always able to throw them at things for smash. They were excellent for high-HP units that I didn't want to waste time chipping down or risking my mages with.

Well, here's the argument: Ephraim joins early, has amazing bases, excellent growths, good supports+affinity and starts with a horrifyingly broken weapon he can get multiples of - his risk of causing gameovers is downright minimal because he's a tank in all regards: good HP, good evade, good defenses and even his Res isn't terrible, only very slightly below average - his Fire affinity augments his offense, accuracy and evasion further, and he has such good stats for offensive purposes that he makes even fucking Javelins scary - oh and he gets a second broken weapon that's likely to overkill monsters gruesomely (and really, with the +5 Str -and- 20+ MT, it's going to mangle the vast majority of everything ever), because Reginlef wasn't retarded enough. Meanwhile, Myrrh still joins underlevelled, her stats aren't terribly impressive until she gets those few levels, she joins very late and her -only- weapon is both limited and practically unreplenishable, not to mention she doesn't even get the time to build those supports properly (and hey, you have her attack like 45 times and she's now a pointless warm body forever). In a vacuum, sure, she can do smash, but couldn't Ephraim do that just as easily with superior supports -and- practical survivability, and he's been doing that the whole game with cheap storebought weapons to boot? It's also worth noting that, while Eph hits his speed cap on average, the only enemies that he ends up not doubling in endgame are like the Cerberus guys, and that's in like Hard Mode. Not to mention Myrrh certainly isn't immortal against magic, and if you're even remotely concerned about permadeath, -anyone dying- is a reason for a reset, so I don't think it's fair to hold it against Eph while letting Myrrh get a free pass regarding that. I'll be honest and say that your opinion there baffles me as well, and you don't need multiple playthroughs to realize how far apart Myrrh and Eph are in actual worth short of inane RNG rape - which Eph is borderline immune to as well. I'm really wondering who the hell could do what Eph does better than himself - he tanks like a champ, hits like a truck and even has a viable range 2 option for cheap due to how good his stats are. You just don't get any better than that in a GBA FE.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:23:15 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2010, 02:12:38 AM »
Chrono Trigger:
Crono: 7/10
Marle: 5/10
Lucca: 4/10
Frog: 5/10
Magus: 7/10

Lyn: 8/10
*Nils: 5/10
Eliwood: 5/10
Hector: 8/10
Merlinus(7): ??
Athos:7/10

Eirika: 8/10
Ephraim: 9.5/10
Tethys: 6/10
Myrrh: 4.5/10

Ike(9): 6/10
Mist(9): 4/10
Reyson(9): 8/10
Elincia(9): 3/10

Micaiah: 5/10
Rafiel: 5/10
Black Knight: -
Elincia(10): 8.5/10
Leanne: 6/10
Ike(10): 9/10
Mist(10): 2/10
Reyson(10): 10/10
Sanaki: 3/10
Lehran: -
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2010, 05:05:49 AM »
Assuming that you don't worry about Permadeath (thought I would cover myself since I'm also in the baffled crowd of scoring Eph lower than Myrrh), Eph's chances of dying shouldn't even be a huge factor into the equation. The only time that I've personally factored "causes game overs" into is FE9 Elincia. This is because:

a) Elincia is actually at a very real risk of dying since Tigers/Dragons/enemies with Bows do tons of damage to her. She's nowhere near as evasive as her FE10 incarnation and
b) I have the option in some maps not to deploy her which is then compounded by
c) Deploying her means I have to actively set a few guards around her when enemies start crowding or having the ability to reach her, thereby slowing me down and thus becomes less efficient then if I just deployed a much stronger unit who can take punishment.

Using this same type of analysis for all the other FE lords, you can argue that you don't have to actively use Eph, thus the possibility of a game over could be used against him. However, Eph also the best defensive/offensive stat spread ever. What makes Eph good is that even if his raw defense fails, he can still rely on some evasion (thanks to good speed and decent Luck growth). Having a spear means he's often just going to be neutral against human enemies instead of a WTD, erasing his evasive lead. On the other hand, if his speed suffers a bit and gains less dodge, he still has a chance at acquiring defense. Thus, the actual risk of Eph dying (despite the fact that he can cause game overs) and lose you the game should end up being very slim or no greater than any other lord in FE7/FE6. And while PEMN, hinode once ran a playthrough where his Eph was Def screwed and Eph was STILL one-manning the entire enemy army. Oh, and given how FE8 is "easy", shouldn't the chance of Eph causing a game over be even less then?

I'm also not sure about which high HP units you are referring to because for most of them, Eph is going to double, outside of the odd Cerberus. If its a monster, he is going to be hitting weakness and dealing a ridiculous amount of damage anyway. Even without weakness hitting, Eph's also more likely to have crit (even with a regular Silver Lance) for whatever that is worth thanks to Fire affinity and he has some really good support options in there to definitely at least have one built up (Eirika/Tana are both really good. L'Arachel's decent too). He's never so offensively behind Myrrh unless you downright avoid using him, so the chances of Myrrh being able to one round something that Eph cannot should end up being pretty slim. The gap gets closer once you remember Eph's support adds to his raw Might to boot. Also keep in mind Eph starts off really good already. Myrrh starts off significantly underlevelled, has Arrow weakness, and until she gains a few levels where you have to pretty much give her some kills (which probably means you are chipping), she remains weak. If you consider aftergame at all, then Eph wins forever and ever because he's never even going to be worried about weapon charges where as Myrrh has 50 altogether outside of Mine tricking the system and getting more.

I can certainly see Eph losing to maybe someone like Gerik/Colm who are also great in FE8. But the difference between Myrrh and Eph is staggering, even putting aside play styles.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2010, 05:10:51 AM »
At the risk of completely derailing the topic:

Djinn:  Be less of a sensitive bitch-boy.
FE dissertations: *Facepalm.*

I'm done.  Continue on.

EDIT:  So it's on topic.

Chrono Trigger:
Crono: 8/10
Marle: 8/10
Lucca: 3/10
Frog: 4/10
Magus: 5/10

Ike(9): 10/10 (Argue with me.  I don't care.)
Mist(9): 1/10 (Never used)
Reyson(9): 10/10
Elincia(9): 1/10 (Never used)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:15:49 AM by Makkotah »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2010, 05:23:58 AM »

I'm done.  Continue on.

Because I'm sure -you- would just sit there quietly when someone goes out of their way to laugh in your face... >.>;;

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2010, 05:40:33 AM »
On a less condemning note, are you assuming tricking the game into giving you Fire Stones for Fa, Djinn?  Without that I'm not sure how she has enough gas to contribute at a 7/10 level after getting her trained (and given the awful starting stats she can't just try and fight things at level 1.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2010, 06:15:21 AM »

I'm done.  Continue on.

Because I'm sure -you- would just sit there quietly when someone goes out of their way to laugh in your face... >.>;;

Over this?  I'm not 17 any more.  Even if I was still into the DL I'd like to think "MUST NOT TROLL YOUR CHARACTER RANKINGS LOLZ" wouldn't make me as touchy as it seemed to make you.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2010, 06:33:39 AM »
If you two wanna argue and get into it, take it elsewhere. Go yell at each other in chat or something.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
OK, I gotta ask: How are you arriving at all these .2s and such? Are you like... checking accrued XP or total kills against each other or some other metric of use?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2010, 10:26:06 AM »
He's trying to be cute and be ULTRA SPECIFIC cause I asked to not do "x.75" and such cause that was really annoying me in the other topic (he was the only one doing that; people doing x.5s was rare initially, OK decided to abuse the fuck out of it and then go as far as x.25 and x.75).  Generally, he's not doing a good job of it if you ask me, cause I don't believe for a second he actually thinks they're necessary and is trying to be different, etc.  Gourry a while back did a better job rating things out of 255 just to annoy someone, if you ask me <_< 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »
Chrono Trigger:
Crono: 6/10. Invaluable for the pre-historic sections, average everywhere else.
Marle: 2/10. Healing in Chrono trigger? *Laughs*.
Lucca: 3/10. Better offence then the healers but besides that she hasn't got much.
Frog: 3/10. Has better offence then Marle which is something I guess.
Robo: 9/10. Robo has some of the best moves in the game. Is also Rick Astley.
Ayla: 9/10. Stealing, good offence, speed and allowing you to skip a stealth section are worthy of a high rating.
Magus: 9/10. Never cared for double techs so his failing doesn't matter to me. Good physical, has all the elements, your best source of dark damage, status immunity, MT damage is actually good and to top it all off he has massive reserves.

Micaiah: 7/10 Very easy to powerlevel but isn't that special till the end where she can attack/heal long range.
Rafiel: 7/10. Doesn't require a stone to refresh 4 people so he isn't bad.
Black Knight: 7/10. Hard to give a rating really. He is simply unkillable but at the same time limited use and you never want to use him.
Elincia(10): 9/10. Flying, healing and has some great damage to boot. Comes a little underleveled at the end but due to being a healer thats easy to fix.
Leanne: 2/10. She isn't completely horrible but overall there are far better choices and she sucks in part 2.
Ike(10): 6/10. Doesn't change much of anything. Other people can do what he does without the crappy Res and this matters. While the game is mostly a simple walk in the park it does pick up in the end where guess what. Near enough all the bosses are mages and some long range casters are thrown in as well, this means if the AI decides to screw Ike over it will. From what I've seen if Ike gets a Status effect on him then the mages are going to bomb him to hell and in the Lekain fight you have a long range status slinger and two long range mage guys so yeah. Is also useless against the final boss and I will hold that against him.
Mist(10): 3/10. Elincia exists and she just isn't needed in part 3.
Reyson(10): 8/10. Great no doubt but I have had a couple of resets due to those bastard long range mages.
Sanaki: 3/10. Her problem is Micaiah and Soren exist. She'll be the third mage in the battle and who wants three mages?
Lehran: 8/10. Helps a ton on hard mode.