Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129505 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #950 on: December 08, 2013, 05:24:02 AM »
Clarissa: 9/10.  Sacrifice & Turn Steal are insane but both have a notable weakness (nuking HP, can miss).  Gun kinda sucks but is long-range which is relevant, and Encourage is surprisingly solid.
Felius: 3/10.  Felius is fine, but he's also the most replaceable by a random soldier.  Upper Hand & Piercing weapons, sure.
Labyrinthia: 5/10.  You need her for the revival, & blasting stuff with Lightning can be relevant.
Tony: 1/10.  Uh his high MOV means he can go run around collecting treasure.
Levin: 9/10.  The best Skrimisher ever.  Cancel Strike is great and trivializes lots of bosses.  Blast & Rushing Beat means he hits both defenses for good damage.  Great Speed & Move.  Insanely fun to use.
Ragnar: 6/10.   Take Felius and add speed, damage, and some group-targetting.  Smash.
Alexia: 3/10.  That speed.  That move.  THAT SPEED.  (I didn't use Strider with her, but in retrospect, she'd probably at least make 4/10 using that combo...  which I didn't.  Oh well.)

Secutor: 7/10.  Hits things hard, has a shield.
Elementalist: 8/10.  The damage, it hurts.  Side rant: Why did XF bother to have 4 different elemental resistances and all when the two main PC classes that can inflict elemental damage, Elementalist & Emulator, hit all 4?  It ends up being basically "roll a die to see how big the damage bonus is for elemental magic."  Pretty lame, kills the whole fun of elements if you always have all or none.
Fantastica: 3/10.  Fantastica OC is great - Slow Down mostly, Rush a little, and like all OCs is super-cheap to get.  Run away otherwise.
Gadgeteer: 6/10.  I liked Decelerate, and Item Healing is strong even if the UI for keeping track of them is terribad. 
Sentinel: 3/10.  Uh DEF +25% is easy to get, at least, which is why I even bothered with the class.
Sacred Slayer: 8/10.  See Elf, Widespread & Heal & Turn Shift are fantastic even if everything else is crap.
Excavator: 2/10.  Puzzle map go.  Okay and Switch cheese I guess.
Geomancer: 2/10.  I recall them being bad and their OC as being pointless.
Berserker: 3/10.  I acknowledge the theoretical use and Valiant is apparently totally broken, but I hate having to run in straight lines.  THat's just annoying and makes you feel like you have to plan 2 moves ahead.
Enigmancer: 3/10.  Why bother with non-elemental magic when everyone has an elemental weakness?  (Aside from the one close-quarters map that is the blatant use-Engimancers here one, that also nicely enough lets you figure that out yourself rather than having Labby tell you.)
Strider: N/A - Very underwhelming when I used it, but I apparently used Strider totally wrong, so uh awaiting a replay I guess.
Grappler: 6/10.  They're a FUNNY class at the least, which gets them +1.  Accelerate is cheap and easy to get and almost equivalent to RFX+25%, and the positioning game from throwing dudes around is actually notably useful on a few maps, and is helpful in general for isolating enemies for, say, execution via Formation Arts.
Nightstalker: 6/10.  RFX+25% is too damn late and their weapon could be better, but reflex is kind of the god stat, so the score is only going so low here.
Emulator: Blue Mage / 10 - Seemed totally broken to me and simultaneously parasitic and annoying, since you have to basically set an Emulator forever in order to get the Downloads off.  Still, Elementalist that can move *alone* makes it an 8/10 class if you bother, and then it randomly gets Lightning & status & random other stuff.  No vote since I didn't use it, but "didn't use it because it seemed too good" is usually an endorsement.
Extremist: 5/10.  Excavators who can hold up in a fight, sure.
High Cavalier: 3/10.  Grab their OC then run.  See Fantastica pretty much.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:28:46 AM by SnowFire »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 08, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »
Wild ARMs XF:

Clarissa: 7/10 I got less use out of her core stuff than others, but she is good for all the reasons mentioned.
Felius: 3/10 Yeah he is pretty bad.
Labyrinthia: 5/10 Speed kills her late game sadly, 25% magic damage booster makes her hit hard when she does go, but something needs to be around to kill,  Lightning needed 1 more range.
Tony: 1/10 wow so much strong
Levin: 8/10 All the Elf reasons plus Move through enemies.  Just a dominant staple party member.
Ragnar: 5/10 That accuracy is annoying as shit but he is kind of key to making physical set ups competitive with just blowing shit up with Magic.  Hyper probably should be on a base class.  I should have used him as a Fantastica to buff the party instead of buffing himself (that makes Hyper feel like it needs longer duration).
Alexia: 5/10 I apparently used her wrong but wasn't as underwhelmed?  Getting faster as the battle goes on is nice.  I think it is a cute mechanic to feed back through equipment weight.  It is way too dense and impenetrable to the player to work out the nitty gritty easily but its fun regardless.  Her swords are pretty okay.

Secutor: 6/10 Decent equips, functional skills, excellent carrier just by virtue of efficiency of CP by having so many core skills inherent, add in good stats and you have the best of the Physical.  Here is the point where I not that I think the physical game in WA:XF is entirely inferior to blowing shit up with Magic.
Elementalist: 9/10 When half my party was using Books and I decided that I needed to build another one it really solidified how dominant magic is to me.  Unlike Secutor they aren't so dominant because they are a good carrier, they are this good because for the entire game you want their Equipment skill.  For a ton of the game you can slap on that OC a as a filler as well because it will perform.  The only time it falls off is when you unlock Emulator and grind up the skills and Emulator is 5 kinds of stupid.  Subtly dominant, but completely dominant nonetheless.
Fantastica: 7/10  I give this rating without really having used them much.  I didn't realize how good Rush was for the longest time and hadn't really used them until the game threw the boss at me that is all like "Now everyone can throw on that Fantastica OC they have lying around and smash this" and I was just in a wait wat position.  Rush is good, Slow Down is great and then the game brute forces the skill set into relevance and goddamned if it doesn't work.
Gadgeteer: 4/10  I might be petty here, but they lose a point at least for needing their Mastery to really use so many fucking things in this game.  Hi-Item or whatever they called it needed to be a class skill (probably earlier than last one!) let alone the fucking mastery on the class.  Fuck you Gadgeteer I won't deal with you taking a whole chunk of gameplay hostage with the demands of using you as a carrier.
Sentinel: 3/10  I didn't want to put them this low, but they need to be a solid -3 on Secutor, so it goes.
Sacred Slayer: 8/10 Sacred Slayer is duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb.  Slap on a book and sure your damage still isn't great but the AoE is worth it.  It making that unit capable of healing and damaging is just nuts.
Excavator: 2/10  They are Tony but can equip skills to try and stay relevant.
Geomancer: 4/10 I hate them less than I did when I first posted about them.  Their armour really IS pretty good and their stats are okay.  They are the opposite of the Fantastica in that the game actively goes out of its way to make the skills shitty.  Every map should have had leypoints.
Berserker: 4.5/10  What did elf say?  Sure.  That works.
Enigmancer: 6/10 IFF is nice.  They are a good carrier.  They are a mage class.
Strider: 5/10 Apparently they are good?  I used them a bit, they were doable.
Grappler: 3/10  Better than Excavator.  Too finnicky to use.  More finnicky than Berserker in my opinion.
Nightstalker: 4.5/10 RFX +25% is amazing if you can stick with it to get there and is like 3 of those points.  I wanted to like these guys, but the skills suck and the damage is just too low.  A shame because the weapon formula could have been fun.
Emulator: 9/10 The other half of Elementalist domination.  Otherwise see everything other people have said  Action replay all the stupid way to beat a boss down  QUICK MAGES SWARM THE BOSS IN MELEE.
Extremist: 4/10 blech.  They are good at what they do and what they do is clunky and obtuse.  Secretly the game's tank class is appropriate because it is so opaque.
High Cavalier: 3/10 I had Alexia spend a lot of time here and in Sacred Slayer and this worked out quite well as described by Elves.  I should have done that with Ragnar instead to try and squeeze more use out of Hyper.  With mages through, she mostly hung back and hasted herself and Labrynthia to keep themselves relevant.  What I am saying is their OC is worth 3 points.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:01:35 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 15, 2013, 06:06:43 AM »
Doing this for my own reference, since I never actually rated the game back when we did it in 2011.

Final Fantasy 7:
Cloud Strife: 7/10. He's the best PC in the game. The number of kills he requires for his L3 is a drawback (320 vs like 140 for the next PC?)  and his L2's aren't very good. It's a pretty small quibble though.
Barret Wallace: 5/10. Missing Score requires much more effort than I'm willing to put in. His limits I remember being pretty typical smash.
Tifa Lockheart: 5.5/10. Weird case. Bad earlygame. Tifa then gets the powersoul, which is pretty smashy if you DS her. Endgame is okay.  Premium Heart is pretty bad for an ultimate but her L4 limit hits hard and FF7 skews more physical towards the end of the game.
Aeris Gainsborough: 5/10. She has really excellent limits besides her 2-1 (Fuck that one so badly). Princess Guard's too late to matter.
Nanaki "Red XIII": 5/10. Half a point for the Seraph Comb, minus half a point for a bad final limit.
Yuffie Kisaragi: 6.5/10. Midgame's a little scrubby, but the endgame is nuts. The Conformer is hands down the best weapon in FF7, and she has some other nifty options late too.
Cait Sith:  4/10. Better stats and weapons than Vincent, but limits are scrubby.
Vincent Valentine: 3/10. Bad weapons and limits.
Cid Highwind: 6/10. Killer weapons is enough to get him third. The Scimtar is a triple weapon (The only other one being a fucking pain in the ass to get) and he has the Dragoon Lance on D1 as well. He also has a linked double weapon which is very cool. His stats are pretty average and him joining late sucks, but it's not hard to get him a bunch of kills with Beta or Aqualung.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 16, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
Clarissa Arwin: 8.5/10. She has all the stats in the right places for magical builds as a rule of thumb (and magic pretty much dominates XF outside of the very endgame, and even so it's still high-profile). Dandelion OC is hands down one of the best in the game and her equips are also decent. Physical builds are kinda sketchy for her, but Strahl Gewehr itself has uses.
Felius Arwin: 3.5/10. Just kinda sucks. High strength, but sketchy equips and skillset, and the other stats need work. As a rule of thumb, physical builds in XF take a lot of work for relatively little return and Felius has the least interesting unique tools for one.
Labyrinthia Wordsworth: 4.5/10. She's sorta jeigany in that her wealth of worth really lies in the early game. Arcanist OC is all kinds of cool (Warp is godlike, Replica is fun, Revive is quite useful and even Lightning has its uses) and the skills in the class are also quite interesting, but Labby's egregious stat spread just sorta puts everything to waste. Her oddball OC still finds its niches every now and then even once her stats start fucking her up, at least.
Tony: 1.5/10. Useful solely on C1 until you get past the swamp and a full party. Past that, complete waste.
Levin Brenton: 8/10. Sort of a mirror to Clarissa. Faster, deeper resources and more mobile, but worse equips, less amazing OC and, most important of all, his offensive stats aren't all that good - particularly magic, which kinda wastes Blast's mult and P properties. Still, his utility mix is really good (Execrate+Widespread Emulator OC, for instance, is one of the most broken combos you could ever muster) and he has better options for physical builds than Clarissa.
RAGNAR BLITZ LEBRETT: 5/10. He could have the best build for physical setups among the uniques, but the accuracy issues speak against him pretty notably. Particularly, he borderline -needs- to land AIM +25% to be viable long-term unless you enjoy casting Invoke on him every turn (and your Fantastica OC carriers certainly will have better things to do than baby Ragnar around). On the other hand, Hyper's one hell of a buff for physical fighters and keeps him competitive enough.
Alexia Lynn Elesius: 6/10. What a neat, fundamentally flawed yet strangely useful build. Speed is trash, but her weight game works beautifully with Strider OC and she can spend little to no time in the class due to not needing the AIM boosting ever. Past that, her generall skill build is very good, her equips are solid and she makes the most out of physical builds overall. I'd care more about the trashy speed if speed in a tactics-based game wasn't rendered less important than move (and Strider OC fixes any problems she might ever have getting into the frontlines right there -AND- synergizes into her oddball speed game).

Secutor: 6.5/10. The starting point for every single viable physical build out there. The EQ is good stuff (axes are really impressive for damage if you can mitigate the accuracy problems, shields are great and even work into offensive padding for specific builds), the strength is excellent and Atk +25% is amazing, making it even a prime physical carrier. The OC sorta underwhelms me, but them's the breaks.
Elementalist: 8.5/10. Like Secutor, the starting point for all viable magical builds, but to an even more dominating degree. No mage build worth its salt goes without Elementalist EQ -at the very least- because books are crazy good. The OC is very one-dimensional but very good for the vast majority of the game too, and, of course, if you can, picking up Mag +25% is golden. The bases are good enough to keep it a solid choice for a carrier for a long time to boot, but staying in the class isn't a problem, especially considering it's a basic job. Paves the way for XF's magical dominance quite overwhelmingly.
Fantastica: 7/10. As shoddy as the class itself may be (and it actually isn't -that- much, at worst, Fantastica EQ covers some interesting niches and you don't need to stay that long in it due to innate CSP boosting), the OC is utterly godlike. Rush alone does wonders to huge chunks of the game's skills and Invoke is a pretty good boost to any physical fighter you carry around. Slow Down and MP busting also round out the utility. That OC alone makes the class worth staying in for a while and it should be passed around like candy.
Gadgeteer: 4.5/10. Its worth largely relies on mastering the damned class and keeping up with its higher-end items, which isn't all that great, especially since, speed aside, Gadgy offers little as a carrier. If you do, though, once you set up some extra magey tools like Elem EQ, it's quite powerful. It's still rather limited no matter what - and the non-item resources sorta need work to boot. Strange class.
Sentinel: 3.5/10. Well, Heavy Strike is nice and weight is kinda cool for Strider OC! The EQ really needed to be easier to get, though, and the speed quite underwhelms me, especially when it's usually bereft of Alexia's speed gaming shenanigans.
Sacred Slayer: 8/10. The class is painful to stay in, but holy -shit- what a skill pool. Sacred Slayer OC is horrendously overpowered (seriously, what's up with those mults on Heal? Fragile is very good too and Turn Shift is seven kinds of broken), Widespread is godlike (alone making the class worth considering as a carrier in spite of the crap stats) and even the EQ is pretty good (strong armors, mainly). The stats are hideous otherwise, but the skillset is overcentralizing as fuck, also being a fundamental stepping stone for dominating mage builds on both offense and utility.
Excavator: 2/10. Uh, they have move and speed and ranged physicals! Too bad about the terrible OC (useful only for synergizing with Gadgeteer and some gimmick battles) and bad offense.
Geomancer: 4.5/10. Kinda bad. Geomancer armor is very good and the attack is decent, but that OC is terrible outside highly niche uses and leypoint manipulation is generally very rarely useful.
Berserker: 5.5/10. Spears suck and kinda hurt an otherwise interesting skillset, but I kinda like the mobility and stats. It's a strange, not always practical, but fun physical carrier that can make interesting waves with the right setup.
Enigmancer: 7.5/10. Nice carrier mage class with the best general stat spread (good magic, best speed out of the dedicated mages and four move) and a great mesh of class skills and OC. Dispel alone is great for being your only practical status/stat-busting healing tool, Devastate is pretty cool for on-the-go crowd control that meshes beautifully with Rush and IFF and Elem EQ fixes the kinda sketchy weaponry right there. Durability is particularly trashy, but you can't have everything.
Strider: 6/10. Drop Kick ALONE makes Strider OC borderline unskippable for physical builds (good mult+ranged damage physical classes -badly- need in general? YES PLEASE), and all the skills on it are useful for what they are. Aim +25% also increases the viability on a lot of builds, though that's not a simple acquisition. The class itself isn't so hot, but it has its perks and, generally, you don't skip both Secutor and Strider for your physical setups. Secutor mostly for stats and equips, Strider mostly for skills. Works.
Grappler: 4/10. I don't really like Accelerator due to how it unstabilizes long-term strategies with its unreliability, but it's a pretty good skill for its cost. Damage is okay, but has its issues and the class itself is sketchy. Positioning shenanigans are kinda cool when you can put them to use, but they're not viable without IFF, and that's poor synergy all around.
Nightstalker: 4/10. Six Shooter can get increasingly nuts with Invoke setups, but that's only one skill and not versatile. Rest of the skillset is hit or miss and its carrier possibilities (it's such a goddamn fast class) get mitigated by the horrible offensive stat spread. I usually grab Six Shooter and run away (you don't even get enough CSP to master RFX +25% in the game sans grinding or extreme CSP manipulation). Still, goddamn that speed.
Emulator: 9/10. Holy crap is this class broken. Exploit Weakness on a class that gets ALL elements at 6 range and P properties -and- high Mag, powerful status whoring, Action Replay for specific boss-mangling shenanigans, gravity for bosses, four move and jesus christ what the -fuck-. The only thing that even keeps this remotely in check is the moderate effort you have to take to grab the skillset - and maybe the subpar speed, but that's not too bad with the threat range on their stuff. Past that, though, you're golden. Magic honestly dominates XF and Emulator's the shining capstone.
Extremist: 5.5/10. Command Critical is oddly good under certain setups (in particular, Invoke+Command Critical Six Shooter can net you utterly gross damage figures) and Extremist makes an oddly capable carrier mostly due to good defensive stats (mainly badass evade and nice HP) and the second-best skillset in a physical class (High Slugger is very solid, Anchor Hook is sorta cool, Debilitate is excellent). Nutso offense doesn't come from its bases (in particular, Scimitars are underwhelming weapons), but it makes one of the best Six Shooter users due to Command Critical, which compounds nicely with Invoke at least. Pretty much the to-go physical class to carry the cool physical stuff your game-long fighter built up in my eyes.
High Cavalier: 3/10. You'd expect a skillset with Quicken and Intrude on a Wild ARMs game to be badass, but wow is High Cavalier willing to prove you wrong. The HP is good and both Remain and Intrude have uses, but the rest of the OC is a waste and the class itself has nothing else interesting (MAG-based weaponry doesn't work in practice, its carrier stats don't impress much at all). Pick up Intrude and run away, if -that- much.

Come to think of it, the class dynamics in XF kinda prize themselves in being opaque and weirdly nuanced. Hit or miss philosophy, but goddamn do I love this kind of approach when it's done in-depth like this. It's almost like nearly every class is the weird little thing in the catalogue.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:54:52 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 18, 2013, 12:54:56 AM »
Might as well get this up to fill out now that I've gotten the last set of classes.  May be subject to change

Wild ARMs XF:

Clarissa: Hello I am a speedy mage with a ridiculous nuke and some other good support stuff.  8.5/10
Felius: uh Upper Hand is kind of cool I guess, too bad about the rest.  3/10
Labyrinthia: way to waste a cool skillset with those stats miss very capable woman.  4/10
Tony: so resist very move such strong wow.  1/10
Levin: Well the skillset is good at what it does but god does he want a better weapon type because tonfas suck at like everything.  The class is otherwise pretty neat.  8/10
RAGNAR BLITZ LEBRETT: oh wow boomerangs suck.  Hyper Attack is great of course and earns him like most of this score but otherwise I'm not a fan.  5/10
Alexia: Apparently I've been using her right but haven't been as impressed?  At least she has every other stat except speed and works well with Strider OC as others have noted but that speed is *garbage* to start out with.  5/10

Secutor: Yeah they are good at what they do, but WAXF went to mage dominance school.  6.5/10
Elementalist: holy crap books are duuuuuumb and their EQ is the second thing in, never mind getting the rest of their stuff, run half your team as mages, regret nothing.  8.5/10
Fantastica: The OC is great and earns them like all of this score here.  Rush and Slow Down are amazing and Invoke has its uses.  The rest of the class is pretty blarghe but it's kind of irrelevent when the OC is as easy to grab as it is.  6/10
Gadgeteer: uh they're fast at least.  Way too many hoops to jump through for my liking though, Hi-Item probably should've been a class skill rather than their mastery.  3/10
Sentinel: uh they have an okay OC at least.  I guess they have armor but their EQ isn't worth the wait.  3/10
Sacred Slayer: wow sacred slayer is duuuuuuuumb, widespread is totally worth putting up with those stats, as is the OC.  8/10
Excavator: Less worthless than Tony, does it want a cookie.  1.5/10
Geomancer: I guess if you want to sit around in it for five class levels the armor is alright?  Not really a fan of doing that, though.  3.5/10
Berserker: I loathe forced straight-line movement and the lameness of spears.  They have their good points but they don't really make me care enough to want to put up with the class more than necessary.  4/10
Enigmancer: I like the MAG/RFX/MOV combo and the OC is alright enough.  IFF is pretty great as well.  They don't make huge waves but they are a strong enough dedicated carrier class.  7/10
Strider: Strider OC rules and should be passed out like candy to every fighter you have.  The class itself I am more lukewarm on but at least it is decently mobile while not being incompetent like Excavator and AIM+25% is nice enough if you care to grab it.  6/10
Grappler: They seem really situational?  Their skills seemed nice enough when the maps let them work but they don't always seem to do that.   4/10
Nightstalker: Well they're fast and Six-Shooter is disgusting when you set up for it.  Most everything else about the class sucks though.  4/10
Emulator: wtf emulator is duuuuuuuuuuuuuumb.  what is that skillset, never mind what happens if you grab the rest of their stuff.  9/10
Extremist: They are an okay carrier with an okay skillset.  Unless you master the class they are not anything more than that.  5.5/10
High Cavalier: lolwut.  3/10
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:26:21 PM by Random Consonant »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 18, 2013, 06:56:42 AM »
Clarissa: 9/10.
Felius: 4/10.
Labyrinthia: 5/10.
Tony: 1/10.
Levin: 8/10.
Ragnar: 6/10
Alexia: 5/10.

Secutor: 6/10.
Elementalist: 8/10.
Fantastica: 7/10.
Gadgeteer: 4.5/10.
Sentinel: 2/10.
Sacred Slayer: 8/10.
Excavator: 2/10.
Geomancer: 3/10.
Berserker: 6/10.
Enigmancer: 7.5/10.
Strider: 5/10.
Grappler: 3/10.
Nightstalker: 4/10. Clarissa is a really good one!
Emulator: 9/10.
Extremist: 3.5/10.
High Cavalier: 3/10.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 20, 2013, 12:56:32 AM »
2 Day warning + Convenient Meeple Ratings!

I don't remember generics well enough to feel confident about rating them, so I'll rate just the PCs.

Clarissa: 8/10.  Good enough at what she does.
Felius: 4/10.  Just kind of eh.
Labyrinthia: 3/10.  Never really found her that good.  Her gimmicks didn't really stand out.
Tony: 1/10.  Useful for like one map then never again. 
Levin: 7/10.  Blast is nice, and Cancel Strike can be a Rob Turn variant.
Ragnar: 5/10.  Passable.
Alexia: 6/10.  Remember her being a strong physical character with Eskender Bay as an extra late game perk so yeah.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #957 on: December 20, 2013, 01:12:32 AM »
Wild ARMs XF:  See Meeple

Clarissa: 8/10
Felius: 4/10
Labyrinthia: 3/10
Tony: 2/10
Levin: 8/10
Ragnar: 6/10
Alexia: 5/10
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 22, 2013, 04:29:18 AM »
THE UPDATE HAS COME! AND WITH THE UPDATE COMES...

VARIOUS STASTISTICS!!!

Average   Std. Dev.
Clarissa   8.33   0.61
Felius   3.5   0.43
Labyrinthia   4.28   0.83
Tony   1.22   0.36
Levin   8   0.5
Ragnar   5.33   0.5
Alexia   5.33   1.12
Secutor   6.21   0.64
Elementalist   8.21   0.27
Fantastica   5.71   1.89
Gadgeteer   4.43   0.93
Sentinel   3.07   0.53
Sacred Slayer   8   0
Excavator   1.93   0.19
Geomancer   3.29   1.41
Berserker   4.93   1.34
Enigmancer   6.07   1.86
Strider   5.92   0.92
Grappler   4.21   1.29
Nightstalker   4.79   1.22
Emulator   8   2.45
Extremist   4.93   0.89
High Cavalier   2.86   0.38

PC Standard Deviation: 2.49
Generic Class Standard Deviation: 1.89
Full Cast Standard Deviation: 2.03

Best Rating of this Session: Clarissa w/ 8.33
Worst Rating of this Session: Tony w/ 1.22
Best Rating of Generic Classes: Emulator w/ 8.00
Worst Rating of Generic Classes: Excavator w/ 1.93

And now we move on from Wild ARMs to...something NOT Wild ARMs...

Legaia 2:
Lang:
Maya:
Kazan:
Sharon:
Ayne:

Tales of Symphonia:
Lloyd:
Genis:
Colette:
Kratos:
Raine:
Sheena:
Zelos:
Presea:
Regal:

And if it's not obvious, I have given up on Surnames entirely.  One has to earn having their surname by getting on one of the top 20s! ...perhaps I should consider increasing those to top 25s sometime soon granted...
(so yes, I am "rewarding" someone for being so bad they get on top 20 losers by them getting their last name, what about it?)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 22, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Tales of Symphonia:
Lloyd: Well the typical Tales swordsman can only be so bad, but in some ways Lloyd's score speaks more to certain early PCs sucking than his own abilities.  6.5/10
Genis: ToS is not a kind game to attack magic.  3/10
Colette: On the other hand Colette is just kinda bad.  3.5/10
Kratos: He's useful early, at least.  When/if he comes back he is just kind of ehn.  6/10
Raine: Well the typical Tales healer is pretty much never bad and Raine is a textbook example.  7/10
Sheena: Found her to be worse than Colette.  2/10
Zelos: Kratos without the early use.  5.5/10 
Presea: Want to say she was okay at least.  6/10
Regal: Never really used him, abstain.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: January 02, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »
Legaia 2:
Lang: 8/10.  Good at everything.
Maya: 6/10.  Some Offense issues due to how she works; she can do big damage at once but has harder times either doing it consistently or building it up.  She does, however, have good support spells.
Kazan: 8/10.  Jeigan character without any real flaws.  Others pass him, but in this style of game there's really little penalty for using him at all.
Sharon: 7/10.  Good at what she does.
Ayne: 4/10.  Felt subpar due to lacking what the Mystics had.

Tales of Symphonia:
Lloyd: 7/10.  Solid Tales Main, but not spectacular.
Genis: 2/10.  Not a game that is kind to mages at all.
Colette: 3/10.  Not as bad as Genis, but not good either.
Kratos: 7/10.  Lloyd variant with healing, sure.
Raine: 8/10.  Tales Healer, so yeah, you kind of want to use her.
Sheena: 3/10.  Her main niche is summons during overlimit...which never comes up. Oh sure, she has an infinite but TP actually stops her from spamming.
Zelos: 7.5/10.  Kratos who is around longer.
Presea: 6/10. Alright, but not my style.
Regal: 6.5/10.  Felt like Kratos-lite, but I seem to prefer him to Presea.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 02, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
Tales of Symphonia:

Lloyd: 7/10.  Echoing the others.
Genis: 1/10.  I have literally never found a good use for him.
Colette: 2/10.  I guess she contributes something when you don't have any better PCs.
Kratos: 6/10.  Weaker Lloyd with bad healing.  But not much weaker.
Raine: 8/10.  Tales healer.
Sheena: 5/10.  Really fun to play as.  I don't think the AI uses her very well, she felt a lot more effective under manual control.  Still clearly inferior to the swordsmen though, if not by a lot, IMO.
Zelos: 6/10.  See Kratos.  I don't think the minor differences between the two in availability or jeigan qualities merit a score difference.
Presea: 6.5/10.  Only thing holding her back from being Lloyd's equal is the slower speed to her attacks, IMO.
Regal: I didn't use him much, but what I did use of him feels in tune with what Meeple said, so 6/10, felt pretty much like another Kratos variant.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 02, 2014, 06:44:55 PM »
Legaia 2:
Lang: 7/10
Maya: 4/10
Kazan: 6.5/10
Sharon: 8/10
Ayne: 3/10

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 02, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »
Legaia 2:
Lang: 8. Solid all arounder.
Maya: 4.5. Rocky and up and down. Never good at damage, but great spells. However, Legaia was very nice on healing items, IIRC, which really removes a lot of the usefulness of her niche.
Kazan: 7.5. Awesome early, middling late but can still be made into something.
Sharon: 9. Auto-prevents basically the one way you were dying until you get her (Ambushed by faster enemies, eat two rounds in a row and die) by her speed alone. Speed then doubles to make her the best random clearer, and she holds her own for bosses. Lots of other neat utility, but the first reason listed is really the best.
Ayne: 3. Not horrible, but not really good.
...into the nightfall.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 02, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »
ToS was my first Tales game, and I basically played it like a Final Fantasy wherein you either pick the super move you want or else otherwise spam "A" a lot to regular attack.  I discovered the secrets of comboing Demon Fang with another Arte in like the final dungeon.  I also ended up using 2 of the "worst" characters for AI control according to some parts of the Internet hype in Sheena & Genis but still did okay, so my rankings are pretty shaky here, take with a large grain of salt.

Lloyd: 7/10 - TP is a bit of an issue, but that's it.
Genis: 4/10 - Consistent stream of light damage & disruption, but frail.
Colette: 4/10 - Colette controls like a boat, and she's less tanky than say Kratos/Zelos on AI without seeming to have a damage edge to make up for it.
Kratos: 6?/10 - Stat/level-edge early, emergency back-up healing early.  Was getting kinda trashy toward the end but that was because I didn't know you needed to use his spells 50 times to unlock the good moves, but whatever, Zelos had those unlocked anyway.
Raine: 7/10 - Utter trash in a fight, but she's your only healer, so uh you're using her no matter what.
Sheena: 5?/10 - She seemed okay to me, but see above, I didn't experiment enough to notice her alleged AI damage issues vs. other characters on AI much.  Apparently if you control her she's very good at stunlocks & juggles as well.
Zelos: 5?/10 - Another fighter.
Presea: Didn't use enough to say for sure, but I hated her style with the slow wind-up hits.  Apparently she has uber damage to make up for it.
Regal: Practically didn't use at all because not only is Regal plot dumb, his fighting style is dumb.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 02, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
Legaia 2:
Lang: 7/10. All-rounder, #2 HP and #2 speed along with good attack magic go a long way.
Maya: 4/10. The healing spells aren't really very good because items are very potent. However, Gospel is a great buff. Unimpressive otherwise.
Kazan: 7/10. Insanely good for a while early. Mediocre but not terrible late. These days I have more respect for this type; even if you do what I did and drop him when you get Sharon he still served a very valuable role before then.
Sharon: 8.5/10. Speed is so good in this game for the reasons Dhyer said, and Sharon has no statistical failings to offset it; decent at attacking, HP, and magic all.
Ayne: 2.5/10. I'm not really sure why you'd use him but he's not appalling. So much like Kongol (edit: with better magic durability at least)!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 02, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »
Wait isn't Para Ball supposed to be pretty broken or something ...? Haven't played the game myself but have read people say Colette is broken before (stuff about Para Ball, spell cancel, Para Ball w/th spell cancel, stuffs like that) ~
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:11:08 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 02, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
Legaia 2:
Lang: 7.5/10. He's just dang solid all around.
Maya: 5/10. Items totally rob her niche. Gospel kinda makes up for it later.
Kazan: 6.5/10. He's solid for a while.
Sharon: 8/10. Randomsmashing is good.
Ayne: 3/10.  Would be better in a game that wasn't pure blitzkreig vs. randoms.

Tales of Symphonia:
Lloyd: 6/10. He's solid enough I suppose?
Genis: 3/10. Didn't get much use out of him.
Colette: 4/10. She was very odd in battle, didn't seem to be where she needed to be.
Kratos: 5/10. He's solid enough when around.
Raine: 6/10. Healer, but generally not too great?
Sheena: 4/10. I didn't see her doing much at all in battle.
Zelos: 5/10. Solid in battle.
Presea: 5/10. Good HP/Def/Offense. Can't ask for too much else from her slow-tank archetype.
Regal: 5/10. He was pretty much a passable fighter?

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 02, 2014, 11:09:04 PM »
Is there still a bottom 20 fail list? I'd be curious to know where Tony fell on that.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 02, 2014, 11:24:33 PM »
Legaia 2:

Lang: 7/10. He's very solid all-around - attack magic is very good in-game and his is one of the best, he's good at building AP and whatnot, decent speed, decent durability. His only "problems" are not being outright dominating, but he's your #2 pretty much throughout and not by an insignificant margin.
Maya: 4/10. Healing niche when items are -this- potent? Even if you hold back on them a bit like I did, she isn't all that great a healer because her spells are sorta expensive and her durability/speed combo sucks. At least she can hit elemental weaknesses and Gospel is -amazing- when it comes up, but there's a bit of a hike until then. Oh, and HER AWFUL AWFUL BEGINNING TRIP WHEN SHE CAN'T EVEN ATTACK. Instantly docks her half a point (and would be more if she stayed in it for any longer).
Kazan: 6.5/10. Is excellent when you need a powerhouse PC the -most-. Once he starts losing steam, he loses it fast, but he's never -terrible-, and he's your crutch for some of the hardest parts in the game.
Sharon: 8.5/10. Her speed is -absolutely crucial- for Legaia's nasty randoms and she has offense to spare. No real relevant statistical failure, absolutely awesome random-busting stats and also works well against bosses due to her absolutely nuts AP gauge filling - not to mention she's pretty much premier twink-bait. By endgame, I was having her deal about 35k a pop with -AP-building- strings, let alone with high-powered Art strings.
Ayne: 2.5/10. That speed is really bad for such a rocket-tag environment. He doesn't even really have something truly useful to make him stand out (limits on his Arts means other PCs have better potential, his spells aren't really all that great...).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:11:35 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 02, 2014, 11:31:01 PM »
Is there still a bottom 20 fail list? I'd be curious to know where Tony fell on that.

Check the first page.  Tony didn't even make Bottom 20.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 03, 2014, 02:14:27 AM »
Too much rating FFT monsters for that.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #972 on: January 04, 2014, 05:58:31 PM »
Legaia 2:
Lang:  7/10
Maya: 5/10
Kazan: 5/10
Sharon: 6/10
Ayne: 3/10

Tales of Symphonia:
Lloyd: 6/10
Genis: 3/10
Colette: 3/10
Kratos: 5/10
Raine: 7/10
Sheena: 4/10
Zelos: 5/10
Presea: 5/10
Regal: 5/10

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:22 AM »
Legaia 2: Duel Saga:
   Average   Std. Dev.
Lang    7.33   0.52
Maya   4.75   0.76
Kazan   6.75   1.04
Sharon   7.83   1.13
Ayne    3.00   0.55

Full Cast Standard Deviation: 2.01

Tales of Symphonia:
   Average   Std. Dev.
Lloyd   6.70   0.45
Genis   2.60   1.14
Colette   3.10   0.74
Kratos   6.00   0.71
Raine   7.40   0.55
Sheena   3.80   1.3
Zelos   5.80   1.04
Presea   5.88   0.63
Regal   5.83   0.76

Full Cast Standard Deviation: 1.66

Best Rating of this Session: Sharon w/ 7.83
Worst Rating of this Session: Genis w/ 2.60

You know, I have decided because of reasons I cannot disclose, you guys deserve to be punished!  No, this is entirely your fault! As a result, you will be forced to rate...

Final Fantasy 3 (DS):
Freelancer:
Warrior:
Thief:
Monk:
Red Mage:
Black Mage:
White Mage:
Knight:
Scholar:
Ranger:
Geomancer:
Dragoon:
Viking:
Dark Knight:
Evoker:
Bard:
Black Belt:
Magus:
Devout:
Sage:
Ninja:
Summoner:
Onion Knight:

Yes! NOW YOU WILL UNDERSTAND TRUE PAIN AND SUFFERING BY BEING FORCED TO DO THIS! MWAHAHAHAHAAHHA!!!

On hindsight, this probably wasn't a very effective punishment in any sense of the word...

Serious Remark: If it's not obvious, this is intended for the DS version specifically.  Do not rate on the Original version.  That will be rated separately at a different time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:59:38 PM by Meeplelard »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #974 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »
Final Fantasy 3 (DS):
Freelancer: 2/10.  Ignore.
Warrior: 8/10.  I didn't really use one myself but uh looking at the numbers it seems like the clear choice for physical class.  Like, park a dude here and stay there good at it.
Thief: 6/10.  There's a smaller gap between physical classes in this game than is typical in the series I found (warrior's Advance aside), so only so bad they can be.  And you do get some good stuff from stealing, and Thief is one of the first classes so if you want to use steal the JLs will put it ahead of most stuff.
Monk: 5/10.  No real utility, but like I said, only so bad a physical class will be.
Red Mage: 7/10.  So Red Mage spells are a bit of a joke, very outclassed very quickly.  But despite a midgame slump in weapon selection I found myself rotating my main physical attackers to RM regularly because the Mdef boost from hats was pretty critical.  And by endgame they do get some of the good weapons, so they're perfectly good there if you have them remotely up to speed in JLs.
Black Mage: 4/10.  despite the dominance of JLs in most respects in the game, Black Mage is still basically a filler class for later spellcasters.  the L8 spells are just too important.
White Mage: 6/10.  Matters a lot less in white magic.  But also dropping them endgame or no you pretty much do need a white mage.
Knight: 4/10.  Yeah just stick to warrior.
Scholar: 4/10.  The game kinda showers you with item casts, so scholar's niche is kinda neat, but not how I care to play at all.
Ranger:  3/10.  Kinda pointless I htought?  Unless I'm forgetting something.
Geomancer: 7/10.  Their command skill is pretty badass until basically endgame.  Also pretty much give no fucks about equips, which is important in this game.
Dragoon:  6/10.  Benefits a lot from more or less unique weapon selection, plus if you use thieves you get some extra high-tier equips.
Viking: 3/10.  Basically the only melee class hampered by their stats.
Dark Knight: 6/10.  The gap between when they are available and when you get gear for them is really unfortunate, because it means you aren't building up melee rank in that time.  Still, Darkness is great, MT damage is at a premium in this game.
Evoker: 5/10.  Despite the nature of their skillset, I'll still take them over BMs usually.
Bard: 2/10.  I don't remember bards having ANYTHING.
Black Belt: 2/10.  Wayyyy too late to care on a melee class.
Magus: 5/10.  They're okay.
Devout: 7/10.  Replacement WM.  The extra MP slots for Araise I found really crucial at times.
Sage: 6/10.  Generally your endgame mage class. 
Ninja: 5/10.  Good equip selection offsets their status as an endgame melee class somewhat, and I recall throw being decent but expensive.
Summoner: 5/10.  Probably an extra point for MT is in order depending on party setup but yeah.  Okay but not great.
Onion Knight: 2/10.  Interesting concept, but being locked behind whatever stupid 'multiplayer' the game had and being impractical at best is not a good combo.