Register

Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129412 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #675 on: July 25, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter:
Ryu: 9.  Renders party moot if you want to play that way.  It... does require some abuse though, so docked point seems appropriate.
Bosch: 8/10.  You really aren't getting through that section without Bosch carrying you.
Nina: 6/10.  I recall at least that it got tricky setting up her traps after a point, which is where her money lies later on.
Lin: 4/10.  Better than nothing, but definitely brings less to the table.

Final Fantasy 6:
Terra Branford: 8/10.   Pretty much as good as an FFVI character can be.  Her skills ENHANCE magic supremacy! 
Locke Cole: 5/10.  He gets most of the important equips, and has good WoB availability.  So sure, average.
Mog: 8/10.  Makes game playable, should always be used.
Edgar Roni Figaro: 7/10.  He swaps from a 9 to about equal to Locke over time... so split the difference.
Sabin Rene Figaro: 7/10.  Does his thing.
Banon: DNR.  He'd not... rate highly otherwise, literal liability status.
Shadow: 5/10.  Skillset stays viable after magic supremacy kicks in, but availability docks a point.
Cyan Garamonde: 3/10.  You certainly could use him... but why?
Gau: 5/10.
Celes Chere: 6/10.
Setzer Gambianni: 5/10.
Strago Magus: 4/10.
Relm Arrowny: 4/10.
Umaro: 2/10.
Gogo: 4/10.

CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »
Oh right BoF5. Getting almost no attention this week!

Ryu: DNR. I've given him a ranking before considering without considering Wyrm (where he's the LVP but not by much). Today I'm not sure how much credit if any to give him for operation gameplay skip. If he does get ranked... hm. 4 without Wyrm, 9 with (agree with the general comments that the limits on it make it not 10 material)... averaging out to 6.5. (Please use this if he's ranked, I assume he will be.)

Nina: Traps are pretty cool. She also has good non-trap damage against anything with a weakness. Frail though. 6

Lin: Okay, anyone who says traps stop working wasn't using Lin properly, since she's so good at pushing things into them! She's the less necessary part of the trap team (and for a while is quite bad -except- at this)... but then at endgame she gets Shatter and just takes over with the best damage by far. So 6 works here too.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 26, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
The main problem with Gau is that you can't use Rage then magic.  While you can have Cyan use some physicals then heal then go back to physicals or something.
Gogo has not having to learn magic and mimic doublecast, but he joins too late

Ryu: 9/10
Nina: 4/10
Lin: 5/10

Terra: 7/10
Locke: 4/10
Mog: 3.5/10
Edgar: 9/10
Sabin: 7/10
Banon: 8/10
Cyan: 3/10
Gau: 3/10
Celes: 7/10
Setzer: 4/10
Strago: 4/10
Relm: 6/10 (Control fan)
Umaro: 2/10
Gogo: 4/10
Shadow: 4/10
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:03:42 AM by Fenrir »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 26, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »
The main problem with Gau is that you can't use Rage then magic.  While you can have Cyan use some physicals then heal then go back to physicals or something.

I fail to see why that's an issue though.  Who actually uses FF6 physicals for a large part of the game other than like Locke and Setzer?  Oh, you could just jam the attack button down, but you do that out of negligence only, which, I'm not giving credit for, cause I assume most people in this topic assume a shred of competence (which negligence most definitely is not), or alternatively, it implies the fight was so easy your actions didn't matter at all.  Once you reach a certain point, MP becomes superfluous (other than the occasional turn it takes to cast Osmose), and FF6 basic physicals are just completely worthless for most of the game to the point where if you're using one, and its not the above mentioned exceptions, you may as well just have skipped the character's turn.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 26, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
The point is that Cyan/Locke/Setzer can go between their "somehow better than Magic" skillsets/physicals and Magic for when they need to take charge of healing. With Gau, you're forced to have someone else on heal duty, since Gau's locked into Rage.
...Not that I really see that as an argument against him, since Gau being locked into a relevant Rage usually means the battle's basically over. >.>

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 26, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Well for Relm if it's fair to assume pre-existing knowledge/replays for other characters isn't it fair to assume the same for her too? =/ For example low level games and such to maximise Esper use time/stat boosts later. Under such scenerios she might not lose her natural stat edge/lose out to Celes/Terra so much :) Morped Terra will always be better of course but Relm might still win out more over Cyan/Locke/Umaro/Gogo/Sabin/Strago and perhaps some others I'm not sure on - Mog/Shadow/pre Fixed Dice Setzer? Celes is probably still better because of Minvera/physical options but eh. Terra and Edgar are in a class of their own and Gau has the brokeness still :)

I am not going to overhype/rank Relm too high based on this personally but perhaps it is something to take in account a little bit~
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:29:17 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #681 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:02 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my memory is that Relm misses most of the big name endgame equips.  So she's less flexible than Terra/Celes and the early joiners (Locke/Edgar).  Since her innate skillset is a non-factor, it's the value of "can be given awesome equips" versus "requires less esper abuse for stats" and on the whole I don't think her edge in the stat makes it up.  She's perfectly competent if you do use her, but offers no real advantages over some of the other characters either.  Gogo felt fairly similar, trading instant skillset for also needing some stat pumping, while Strago is generally weaker but his skillset brings a trick or two to the table.  So yeah, all perfectly usable, but in a high-customization game like FFVI I usually inflate smaller differences a little to give things at least a little bit of a usefulness curve.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
Esper stat boost management definitely goes into over micromanagement territory hardcore. Requiring people to make the game harder to maximize stat growth should not be counted! The point is to play through the game efficiently. Relm is a fine PC IMO but she joins rather late and has less time to pick from the Esper pool.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:40 PM »
Relm's fine on equipment for the most part.  Cathood is good, Behemoth Suit is a passable ultimate armor, and Magus Rod is great.  Her issue, of course, is that she misses out most of the WoB, which leads to her being underdeveloped in the WoR when she joins, unless you bring her to Floating Continent, but that's one of the harder dungeons in the game, and to bring someone who relies on Magic with minimal Esper time to THAT dungeon is pretty much counter-productive.

When caught up, which doesn't take TOO long, she's a rather good PC, but there's the whole stuff beforehand which holds her back.  Competing with Terra/Celes rather directly, who both are overall better to boot, doesn't do her any favors, so most just take this perspective of "why bother raising her when I can just use the other girls?"

So yeah, I wouldn't say her equipment is the problem...quite the reverse, her equipment is fine (WoB, she gets Mystery Veil + White Dress, WoR, I covered), its the whole "Mage with minimal Esper Time" thing that holds her back.  And no, Natural Magic is not what makes Terra/Celes different; by the point Relm joins, Natural Magic has become mostly superfluous.  Its that Terra has the Sealed Gate, Burning House and first part of Esper Mountain (and potentially, Owzer's House) to learn all these spells, and Celes has the early WoR (Magitek Factory spells aren't worth a whole lot, outside of potential Bolt 2 there) to play catch up.  Relm never really has any moments like these, so she's at an innate disadvantage.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 27, 2011, 06:00:36 AM »
Yeah, Relm is still pretty good (and certain playstyles can make her better of course; if you decide to grind in Maranda desert [which is pretty fast even if I frown on it] you can catch her up on magic quite quickly). She does tend to end up with the highest magic in my experience (although probably wouldn't for Snowfire-level esper micromanagement) and her equipment is good if not Terra/Celes good. Additionally, because FF6 has a strong, strong incentive to use at least 8 PCs, she'll never get "crowded out" by Terra/Celes; she only needs to beat 2-6 other PCs to get a spot on the team.

A combination of ignoring esper micromanagement and a little Maranda grinding would probably leave Relm as like the fourth or fifth best PC even, so I can potentially see where CT is coming from there even if she's a spot or two lower for me.

Maybe.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 27, 2011, 04:25:27 PM »
Final Fantasy 6:
Terra Branford: 8/10. Doesn't quite feel like a 9, but she's really close. It's Terra, this doesn't need explaining.
Locke Cole: 3/10. Decent slugger for some parts, I guess? Has some good setups. Would be a 4, but loses a point for his recruitment in the WoR being a pain.
Mog: 7/10. I like dance, I like tanks, and moogle charm is great.
Edgar Roni Figaro: 8/10. WoB MVP, loses some of that in the WoR but comparible rating to Terra feels fair.
Sabin Rene Figaro: 7/10. Blitzes are not hard for me, Fire Dance owns for a good stretch where you have piss all for good MT otherwise and Bum Rush, even if untargettable, has enough damage that I don't care.
Banon: DNR
Shadow: 5/10. Throw is nice. Availability is not. Loses a point for the fake availability around the Zozo arc just because that kind of thing pisses me off.
Cyan Garamonde: 2/10. Only so bad an FF6 PC can be.
Gau: 7/10. Man even minimal messing around with Rages with no FAQ or anything yeilds results. If the entire concept offends you and you don't want to bother then fine, but figuring out strong, if not nessesarily the strongest, rage options for him is not difficult. If I was going to dock him points for anything it would be that I don't like using him and Mog on the same team and I am a Mog fanboy. <_<
Celes Chere: 7/10. Terra minus.
Setzer Gambianni: 5/10. Never got into his fixed dixe offering whatever setups, horrible at slots. Still decent enough.
Strago Magus: 6/10. I like blue magic, even if he's not all that great otherwise.
Relm Arrowny: 6/10. Control fan~
Umaro: 2/10. Would be 1/10 but I forgot fanatics tower. Gets a point back for that, sure.
Gogo: 8/10. Does whoevers job you want him to do, does it well enough that the stats don't really matter.

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 24, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
Ryu: 5/10.  Tank and does good damage against bosses if you know how.  Lacks variety though and the moves that are neat like stat downs aren't reliable enough.
Bosch: DNR.  Not inclined to give credit for a one dungeon Jeigan.
Nina: 7/10.  Does what she does well, though is a liability on durability and if you're surrounded or hit with big AoE damage, can run into issues
Lin: 7/10.  Ranged damage and hits lots of enemies at once, and...yeah.

Final Fantasy 6:
Terra Branford: 9/10.  MVP overall.  Adequate Offense and your main healer during the early parts, and that's her worst.  Once she rejoins, she's basically game best PC from then on in due to high magic power, and Morph decimating bosses.  Not to mention, godlike equips (hence her Magic Power is never caught up to sans other females)
Locke Cole: 4/10.  Decent in the WoR, horrid in the WoB, saved only by his forced usage giving him a lot of Spells, making him a make-shift mage or something for the FC.
Mog: 6.5/10.  Half a point for Moogle Charm.  Smashes the WoB when he first joins, a tankish Mage or a Dragoon (the latter clashes with tanking) in the WoR.
Edgar Roni Figaro: 8/10.  being rated higher than Terra doesn't make sense to me...at all.  He's worse than her for a majority of the game, and even when its "Edgar Smash!' there are things she does he doesn't (Healing, better ST offense, etc.)  Also worth noting that he's smashing the EASIEST PART OF THE GAME, and its only HALF the WoB he takes care of (he drops off in greatness a lot in the Sealed Gate, and is very clearly straight up inferior to many character in the Floating Continent.)  THAT SAID, he's still a very strong PC overall.
Sabin Rene Figaro: 6/10.  Steady offense the entire game, though leaves something to be desired defensively.
Banon: DNR
Shadow: 5/10.  On paper, he should be a better sabin, but lack of availability holds him back.
Cyan Garamonde: 2/10.  He's passable until and including the Magitek Factory (if game worst PC there)...then kind of just sucks and never gets good.
Gau: 6/10.  He's got some broken stuff...if you bother to raise him.  If you DON'T, he's still got Magic off a half decent Magic Power score and Snow Muffler, though this makes him "Mog-Lite."  Given how much of a pain he is to raise, I'm not willing to credit him TOO much for potential, but his minimum value is far greater than Gau haters would have you think due to Magic.
Celes Chere: 8/10.  Terra w/out Morph means she's notably worse against bosses in the WoR, and the lack of screen time WHEN IT COUNTS in the WoB means she falls way behind on the Floating Continent (easily the hardest dungeon to that point), which is one moment where Terra vs. Celes is ridiculously one sided.  Other than that, yeah, Terra-.
Setzer Gambianni: 5/10.  The WoB is so anti-Setzer its not even funny; Ings just make a mockery of 7 Flush, then its not good on the FC, and Chocobop can't hit most things.  The WoR, however, he's notably better, more so than Locke, and around longer.  Chocobop is good MT damage pre-Quake there, Fixed Dice can be gotten before Valiant Knife and generally better with offering than Valiant knife, etc.  yeah, he's Locke+ all things considered
Strago Magus: 5/10.  People are underrating him some.  He can nab stuff like Aero pretty fast and do damage on par with level 3's out of the gate, and Aqua rake lets him be one of the better damage dealers in the WoB.  That said...yeah, Lores aren't worth much.
Relm Arrowny: 6/10.  She'd be higher if she didn't have to play huge catch-up.  She's like Celes except lacks the early WoR time to catch up on Magic, and Cat Hood < Minerva.  Strong offensive spell caster and damn good end game...but she requires getting actual spells to get there, and is nigh-worthless before that point.  Just unlike Gau, actually hitting her potential is feasible with a dungeon or so of effort...albeit, her potential isn't anywhere near s well.
Umaro: 1/10.  No.  Personally, I don't think the he's actually good on Fanatics Tower, since you can do more with Magic, and he's doing ass-tactular damage 33% of the time with his basic physical, not to mention there's a lot of ways to status enemies out that Umaro cannot do that.  That said, I think he's good for Phoenix Cave, since he resists most of the big damage there, has good defenses, and almost adequate offense!
Gogo: 6.5/10.  Sabin with more tricks gotten later...yeah, I think I respect him more cause if I had to choose between Gogo and Sabin, I'd choose Gogo.  Having by definition the best Magic Skillset in the current team is  anice boon.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:14:03 PM by Meeplelard »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:20 PM »
*whips Meeple* It's been nearly two months since an update!

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 20, 2011, 12:42:43 AM »
*whips Meeple* It's been nearly two months since an update!

I'll get to it sometime this week (though not tommorrow)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 25, 2011, 03:59:06 AM »
Ryu: 7.03
Bosch: N/A
Nina: 6.00
Lin: 5.14

Final Fantasy 6:
Terra Branford: 8.09
Locke Cole: 4.24
Mog: 5.53
Edgar Roni Figaro: 8.35
Sabin Rene Figaro: 6.74
Banon: N/A
Shadow: 5.82
Cyan Garamonde: 2.38
Gau: 4.68
Celes Chere: 7.09
Setzer Gabbianni: 5.46
Strago Magus: 3.85
Relm Arrowny: 4.85
Umaro: 1.56
Gogo: 6.24

Best Rating of session: Edgar w/ 8.35
Worst Rating of session: Umaro w/ 1.56
Banon and Bosch both get punted and are not ranked.

Top 20 Ratings:
1t. Ryu (BoF3) 9.80
1t. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
3. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
4. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
5. Souji Seta (P4) 9.44
6. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHC) 9.25
7. Blue (SaGa) 9.28
8. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
9. Haar (FE10) 9.17
10t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
10t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
12. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
13. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
14. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
15. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
16. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
17. Tana (FE8) 8.73
18. Purim (SoM) 8.70
19. Maria Traydor (SO3) 8.68
20. Asellus (SaGa) 8.67

Top 20 Failures:
1. Tree (FFT) 0.50
2. Rei (SaGa) 0.67
3. Karla (FE7) 0.77
4t. Red Turnip (SaGa) 0.8
4t. Slime (SaGa) 0.8
6. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
7. Silence (SaGa) 0.92
8. Marlboro (FFT) 0.93
9. Uribo (FFT) 0.94
10. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
11. Malak Golthana (FFT) 1.03
12. Byblos (FFT) 1.06
13. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
14. Skeleton (FFT) 1.13
15. Goblin (FFT) 1.20
16. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
17. Squid (FFT) 1.25
18t. Mime (FFT) 1.28
18t. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
20. Yunno (FE6) 1.35

At this point, I'm going to just stop with "BEST RATING!!!" and "WORST RATING!!!"  nonsense, and just leave it to bolding cause, well, seriously, its silly to do that when we're doing multiple casts at once.  I might do a Strike Out for DNR'd characters in the future as well.

Also, I think its time I remind you factors like "more fun!" or random favoritism for anything that isn't adhering towards how good/bad the character is has no place here.  Furthermore, simply rating for the sake of giving someone a lower/higher rating to boost their score is not acceptable either.  I can tell when people are rating based solely for that reason, and I won't mention names, but if you aren't going to actually put genuine thought into this topic, don't rate at all.  This is not a popularity contest, nor is it a "dismiss factors in the game for my own convenience!"  Does this mean you have to go on the same standards as everyone else?  Oh definitely not; different playstyles yield different things, but there are some cases where I know that some people KNOW of how good/bad something actually is, but choose to dismiss it based on some other factors.

And again, DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME OF CHARACTERS AS I LIST THEM.  Given the way I check names, it makes it harder for me if you do this.  I list them a specific way for multiple reasons, and doing this is just making it harder.  If you can't take the effort to just copy and paste based off the first post, then I really don't know what to say.

Ok, all that off my chest, given the popularity of a particular challenge going on the internet lately, and how the DL fell victim to it, I think since its kind of still fresh on their minds and all that, its an appropriate time to do this...as well as it fits chronologically:

Final Fantasy 5 Jobs:
Freelancer:
Black Mage:
Blue Mage:
Knight:
Monk:
Thief:
White Mage:
Berserker:
Mystic Knight:
Red Mage:
Summoner:
Time Mage:
Beastmaster:
Geomancer:
Ninja:
Bard:
Ranger:
Chemist:
Dancer:
Dragoon:
Samurai:
Mime:
Canoneer:
Gladiator:
Oracle:
Necromancer:

Yes, I did add in FF5a Jobs cause...well...unlike in say, FF4 where Advance ratings would be notably different than Vanilla ratings for some characters, the changes here don't matter on version, at least for the original set of jobs.

Also, yeah, names are based off the Advanced Version of the game, just cause its translation is superior so it deserves to be acknowledged here.  If you argue otherwise, I will punch you...then you will explode!

...and no, barring maybe a joke bonus round, we are NOT doing Final Fantasy 5 Characters...for obvious reasons...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:13:14 AM by Meeplelard »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 25, 2011, 05:24:55 AM »
Freelancer: DNR. Freelancer occupies a very unique niche and it's certainly pretty good, but for I have difficulty comparing it directly to other jobs.
Black Mage: 6/10. Black Mage is spiky, tending to do quite well at certain points in the game, mostly very early and then again right after you get L3 spells which just do sick things to the your damage output for a while. Outside these parts they're a bit unimpressive but those parts are enough for an above average score.
Blue Mage: 7.5/10. Blue Mage has that weird opportunity cost thing (it takes effort to get). Certainly they have tricks that rape many bosses, from Aqualung to Level-based spells to Mighty Guard. I'd give them a higher score (since the tricks aren't -that- hard to get and I rate assuming knowledge of the game) but I don't think they're really that special for randoms (many of their spells have overly high MP costs).
Knight: 5.5/10. Hits things. Serves its role in a fairly unremarkable way, being good in disc 1 then tapering off into forgetfulness, although never bad.
Monk: 4.5/10. Tough one here. Compared to Knight... a little better early, but then worse for the rest of the game (as swords get tricks and shields get good)... except they're better to master for stats, which keeps the gap closer. Very similar niches though.
Thief: 3.5/10. Unlike a certain game last session, FF5's steal actually nets some decently useful stuff. They also have great speed, and their immunity to back attacks and Flee own a certain nasty area in world 1. Still, they're a much less pleasant class to master than some others with speed almost as high, and stealing still isn't incredible or anything.
White Mage: 6.5/10. Curaga + Shell = you win the game against bosses pretty much, and Holy is an incredibly easy 4500~ damage against lategame bosses (9000+ against those who are holy weak!). Like most FF white mages, certainly less impressive early, and being unable to equip element-boosters (besides Gaia Gear and Sage Staff) does hold them back some.
Berserker: 1.5/10. Berserk sucks, axes suck. You can set Two-Hands on them and get some decent damage output but that's still slow and uncontrollable. Only thing that saves them from a 1 is the easy vit mastery.
Mystic Knight: 5/10. Not sure how I feel about them. Certainly, Magic Sword has some pretty awesome cheese against bosses (lol Break Sword on Neo Exdeath), but it's shaky against randoms due to needing two turns. Speed mastery is nice (same as ninja), but you probably will want to skip it since all you get for mastery otherwise is SOS Shell. An average score works.
Red Mage: 5/10. A pretty solid jeigan with most everything worthwhile about BM and WM early (though, the magic is a bit lower). Becomes terrible in world 2... but it's also how you get Dualcast (preferably via Magic Pots so you spend less actual time here). Another weird case I'm not sure what to make of, so another average score.
Summoner: 8.5/10. Pretty much make the game explode from world 2 on. The W1 summons are decent, even! (MT damage is always nice.) But Gaia Gear-strengthened Titan is wrong, Air Knife-strengthened Syldra is MORE wrong, then everything in the final dungeon is weak to Leviathan. And that's just damage; Golem is a great buff (Carbuncle's not bad either), Odin is a great status attack, and Phoenix is great revival. Oh and game-best magic. If their W1 were better they could be a truly amazing class. As is they're just the best class in the game.
Time Mage: 8/10. Like Summoner, their W1 could be better, though they're great against bosses (who tend to fear Demi/Slow/Stop, and Haste is always nice). After that they take off, since they remain good against bosses but Comet is nice against randoms (very cheap, ~1000 damage that any class can use). Then Hastega is sick and wrong and rapes everything after Moore. Even if you get Hermes Sandals to mitigate this, Quick (gained at the same time, for cheaper) is sick and wrong, and Meteor is nice too.
Beastmaster: 6/10. Yet another weird one. Control is damn good, taking to pieces most things that aren't bosses, which includes some nasty randoms. Capture can be a little annoying to use (Kornago Gourd help a ton, though) but can carve things in half . Toss in its helpfulness in learning blue magic and it feels like it balances out to an above average package overall.
Geomancer: 4/10. Terrain is pretty good randombashing... except it doesn't scale up nearly enough so it generally has problems late. Bossfighting ability is terrible outside Bahamut more or less.
Ninja: 7/10. Ninja's got many things going for it though it rarely feels outright abusive. Paired with a (non-white) mage job, it's the best randombasher from the time you unlock them until the time you get Titan, and still slightly better thereafter aside from resource consumption (though outclassed in world 3). Dual-wield is a nice ability for hardcore lategame physical twinking. They have a good speed mastery (and unlike Thief, you actually want to master them for other reasons). They're clearly worse than Summoners (somewhat comparable random-bashing and stat mastery niches, but Summon utility is way better than Dual-wield) but still pretty darn good.
Bard: 5.5/10. Probably the best FF bard ever, wonderful against the undead and some good MT status options. Terrible HP and kinda fail against bosses who immune their tricks, though, holds them back from a really high score.
Ranger: 5/10. There are some decent bows, but in the end, they're all about Rapidfire. Rapidfire is good but not really great until very late. Otherwise, they have decent speed and decent back-row weapons so they're not unpleasant to spend time in at least.
Chemist: 7/10. Not sure. Chemist has lots of great little tricks, but them being entirely ST is a huge damper on them. Some of their good mixes also rely on quite limited items. Still pretty badass.
Dancer: 4/10. Sword Dance with the right boosting is pretty nice. The HP sucks on a frontline fighter, though, and Dance generally isn't as good as Rapidfire outside a few specific instances.
Dragoon: 2/10. Dragoon doesn't do anything offensively wrong. There's just almost no reason to use one. Every other heavy armour job brings more to the table.
Samurai: 5/10. Like these guys. Samurais are a weird case, I think they're relatively much better when you know the game less well, because throwing money at things solves so many problems. However, the cost of doing so is steep until late (when Gil Toss isn't that great anyway) so if you know other ways to dominate, Samurai will suffer. It's still a nice command to have, and Samurai aren't a bad class to be in otherwise due to the decent stats/equips and crits.
Mime: DNR, same reasoning as Freelancer. I may edit in scores if I think they'll be ranked.

Aftergame classes:

Cannoneer: Abstain. Never really bothered.
Gladiator: 2/10. I guess they're more pleasant to be in than Berserker, but they share the trait of "the only reason to use them is a path to stat masteries, and they're not even necessarily the best at that".
Oracle: 2.5/10. Better to be in than Berserker, worse than Gladiator. But they're much faster to master and they're the best at what they do.
Necromancer: 0/10. Completely useless.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:13:30 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 25, 2011, 07:28:09 AM »
Final Fantasy 5 Jobs:
Freelancer: Mmm, Freelancer's worth is all late, where it's definitely good, but the tardiness there... yeah.  4/10.
Black Mage: Decent cannon, but others do it better.  6/10.
Blue Mage: I respect the tricks but it's pretty FAQbaity.  6/10.
Knight: Hits things. 5/10.
Monk: Hits things, useful for mastery.  4.5/10.
Thief: Meh.  3/10.
White Mage: Has some good defensive stuff.  6.5/10.
Berserker: Trash.  I don't consider the easy vit boost to be worth half a point.  1/10.
Mystic Knight: Solid at things, has boss cheese.  6/10.
Red Mage: Good in W1, not so much past that.  4/10.
Summoner: Boom.  9/10.
Time Mage: Are pretty silly.  8/10.
Beastmaster: Helps with getting blue magic, capture gives some cute tricks.  5.5/10.
Geomancer: Passives come in handy a few times but that is basically all they exist for to me.  3/10.
Ninja: Is generally pretty good.  7/10.
Bard: Is decent.  5/10.
Ranger: Is also decent.  5/10.
Chemist: Silly but ST and kinda FAQish.  6/10.
Dancer: Meh.  3/10.
Dragoon: At least they aren't berserkers.  2/10.
Samurai: Eh.  4/10.
Mime: 4/10.
Canoneer: Abstain
Gladiator: Abstain
Oracle: Abstain
Necromancer: Abstain

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 25, 2011, 02:39:16 PM »
Also, I think its time I remind you factors like "more fun!" or random favoritism for anything that isn't adhering towards how good/bad the character is has no place here. 

At risk of starting up a silly debate...  I know what you're getting at here, but it still doesn't quite work.  If you have to jump through hoops to make a character awesome in-game, then it's entirely reasonable for somebody who found the hoops trivial / fun to give them 8/10 and for somebody who found the hoops unfun a 4/10, because people who found it unfun won't bother to uber the character up and won't assume that's part of an expected playthrough of the game.  (Blue Mage ability grinding, Chemist Mix experimentation / FAQing, etc.)  So fun factor *can* legitimately adjust a character's score on a steely "most powerful" basis.

Final Fantasy 5 Jobs:
Freelancer: DNR.
Black Mage: 6/10.
Blue Mage: 3/10.  FAQbait, don't feel like having a Blue Mage constantly in my party to farm abilities and then feeling obligated to keep using it.
Knight: 6/10.
Monk: 4/10.  Mastering Knight is about as good for your HP anyway, and you can sneak a Mastery in quick at the very end of the game.
Thief: 3/10.  Mastering Ninja is about as good for your speed in this case.
White Mage: 8/10.  I can't see playing FF5 without a White Mage.  You can sneak in MT healing with some other classes but why not take the easy route that also gets other useful abilities.
Berserker: 1/10.  Umaro in a game with no Fanatic's Tower.
Mystic Knight: 3/10.  FF5 combat is pretty fast; I don't want to waste a turn setting up when your average random battle takes 2-3 rounds.  Can do some situational boss smashing though, sure, and probably useful on a LLG or something.
Red Mage: 5/10?   Bad by halfway through W2 but gets X-Magic as noted.
Summoner: 9/10.  Ridiculous MT offense, Golem, it's been said.
Time Mage: 8/10.  Best time mage in the series?
Beastmaster: Abstain.
Geomancer: 3/10.  Helpful for that one dungeon (Exdeath's Tower in W2?), not much reason to use otherwise.
Ninja: 7/10.  Dual Wield, speed.
Bard: Abstain.
Ranger: 6/10.  Not an amazing class but hands out X-Fight and free back row.
Chemist: 4/10.  FAQbait, I'll just use a WM instead.
Dancer: 4/10.
Dragoon: 5/10.  I recall them basically being a Knight clone, except Knight is relatively better in W1, so slight score ding.
Samurai: 5/10.  Knight / Sam / Dragoon, all tough beaters, all okay.
Mime: DNR.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
Okay, Dragoon should not be within a point of Knight, speaking as someone who just used both for a Fiesta playthrough. Reasons:

-Knight has substantially better strength and vit, which matters both for mastery and for just plain being in the job.
-Swords are MUCH better than spears. Swords can do fire, ice, and lightning damage, and can inflict sleep and old (well before the latter is available as a spell). They also have much more power; spears are often behind knives in damage. They're about equal in W3... unless you get the Brave Blade.
-Not only does Knight learn the useful damage-doubling Two Hands, but Dragoon can't even set it! For some reason spears are one-hand only.
-Knights have innate Cover. Due to this, I'd argue Guard ends up more useful than Jump (Guard/Cover totally shuts down pure physical bosses such as Garula) but your milage may vary.
-"Spam basic physicals ftw" is best early in the game when your MP supply is limited and enemies don't yet have evade. By the time Dragoon even exists this phase is over. (You already mentioned this one, but saying it for completion.)

Samurai has a similar but smaller list of advantages. Katanas > Spears, Two-Hands compatibility, Gil Toss (even used rarely) > Jump, better str/vit, innate Blade Grasp.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:41:49 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 25, 2011, 06:50:24 PM »
Freelancer: 10/10.  Best physical job overall (though Mime honestly can be more broken - yay 1 turn dead Omega Mk II!), though requires you mastering other classes first.  Still, overall best stats, etc.
Black Mage: 6.4/10.  Black Mage is awesome, but overshadowed by many other classes.  Still, always helpful, and you can pull some cool tricks with mass Reflect on the team (lol Gogo vs. 2x damage Firagas)
Blue Mage: 8.3/10.  You only need a couple Blue spells to maul the game, and they're not too tough to get.  Other stuff is situational.  Equipment options are awesome - shields, rods, swords, etc.  It's a good base overall.
Knight: 5.7/10.  The class itself is average, but it's support skills are great - Two-Handed for damage, and Cover/Guard are excellent for trick strategies (lol Gil Turtle)
Monk: 2.3/10.  Uh...eh.  Bonus HP is ok.  Honestly, kind of pathetic, really - the damage trails badly after world 1 (and even during then), although you can use the strength boost of Barehanded with other classes.  Once Kaiser Knuckles are available...eh.  You'd rather have Hermes Sandals.  Good for mastery, honestly, and that's about it.  Will kill Jackanapes early, at least!!!
Thief: 6.4/10.  Stealing, dashing, excellent speed, Flee, immunity to surprise attacks...yeah.  I like the whole support structure here - stealing gets lots of good stuff early to help other classes.  The class itself isn't awful to put support skills on - the speed allows you to make good use of, say, summon, or white magic for support. 
White Mage: 6/10.  The class as a whole is kind of weak, but the skillset is awesome (and Sage's Staff is excellent).  Ok for boosted Titan with the Gaia Gear.  Mmm...yeah, this feels fair - the tricks are nice, but the class itself feels weak until you get certain key points (Holy, different spells, etc.)
Berserker: 1.5/10.  Uh...lots of durability.  And has decent damage!  Loves Two-Handed!  Also, another one to kill early Jackanapes!!  Yeah, bad overall.
Mystic Knight: 4.6/10.  Not good for randoms.  Good for some bosses (optionals particularly), and the stats are good.  But...eh.  Easily done without. 
Red Mage: 4/10.  Early is great...but just doesn't cut it after that.  Needs another skillset added to it to get it's mastery fairly easily.  X-Magic is good...but it is somewhat limiting (best with a Mime so you get 2 full magic skillsets).  Just...eh.  Other stuff is far better than X-Magic overall, so I don't give much credit to it. 
Summoner: 9.7/10.  Semi-slow start, but demolishes everything.  This is the reason why people miss a lot of broken stuff - Summoner is straightforward and easy, so you rarely need to look for the broken >_>
Time Mage: 8.3/10.  Weak early game - really, really weak.  Needs another skillset like Black to deal damage, but the skillset overall is great.  Quick is badass, and Meteo is awesome against single targets.  The status is always helpful. 
Beastmaster: 6.9/10.  Catch and Control are awesome - takes a bit to get, but worth it on big enemies.  Yay 9999 damage early in the game!  Demolishes things.  Also, some of the whips are nice (Firebute is a nice part of cheaping out Shinryuu).
Geomancer: 2.8/10.  Terrain is good...but random.  On the plus side, it masters fast...and the passives are helpful.  But...blah.  Rarely worth it.
Ninja: 8.3/10.  Awesomeness.  Demolishes randoms.  Hurts bosses.  Is fast.  Great masteries.  Durability is a little weak, but...who cares. 
Bard: 5.5/10.  Requiem alone puts Bard high - it eats up Gil Turtle and Moore Pyramid.  Overall kind of weak outside of that one skill, but...it really is awesome.  Oh, and Romeo's Ballad on Omega for hilarity.
Ranger: 5.5/10.  The mastery is all you want from this class, but it's an awesome mastery.
Chemist: 8.3/10.  Requires experimentation, but holy shit...so good.  Only source of water-boosting in the game.  Great crazy tricks (hey, let's kill a magic pot!  Turn it into a dragon, raise Butz's level to max, X-Fight with Dragon Lances = gg).  Everything is fairly easy to come by as well, so it's not a class that's hard to keep going.
Dancer: 3.2/10.  I...yeah.  The equipment is the best part of the job.  Sword Dance is nice, but...you can't put the Dancer up front.  Just not durable enough, as I found out in my run.  Works ok stat-wise with other skillsets, but...yeah. 
Dragoon: 2.3/10.  lol.  Jump has uses, though situational, and theoretically, Lancet is good.  Just...yeah.  No point, honestly - if you got it far earlier, maybe.  May honestly be worse than Berserker.
Samurai: 6.1/10.  Mmm...slowish.  But the skills are nice.  Samurai swords are badass - Masamune kicks ass, and the critical hit rates are awesome.  Durable too.  And Giltoss is amazing, though costly - trivializes randoms overall, even in the bonus dungeon.  Consistent damage is helpful, at least.
Mime: 10/10.  Best magical job overall, also decent on physicals (full power Chicken Knife is awesome).
Canoneer: 2.4/10.  Combine would be great if you got the job in World 1.  Open Fire...has some uses.  Equipment and stats are good.  Just...yeah.  Pointless.
Gladiator: 3.1/10.  Probably better than Knight overall...if only it came earlier.  Stats are great - mastering it gives you overall great stats in all categories, and if you have to master one class for stats, this would be it.  Its skills are good too!  Bladeblitz is helpful, though again, late.  Finisher is nice, with great average damage.  Very good class, just too late. 
Oracle: 1.3/10.  BEST MAGIC.  Uh...everything else is sucky.  Really, really sucky.  Not worth it, really. 
Necromancer: 1.1/10.  A neat class, but...wow.  No point.  No.  Freaking.  Point. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:23:42 AM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 25, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »
Final Fantasy 5 Jobs:
Freelancer: DNR. Worth is entirely based on other jobs.
Black Mage: 6/10. Nukes stuff but good for a chunk of the game.
Blue Mage: 5/10. Some effort to get Blue spells makes them solid, alot of effort makes them fantastic, not much effort or bad luck makes them shitty. Reliance on another class to get some spells without MASSIVE headaches is also a factor. Evens out to average.
Knight: 7/10. Owns the early game for free. Owns most of the midgame without much effort. Even late, is tanky as hell and the damage never gets outright bad. Ability to swap between 2H and shields for big spikes in either damage or durability is much appriciated. Knight rocks face.
Monk: 4/10. Not bad really, but the lack of equip options hurt. Also getting compared to Knight for the early game hurts.
Thief: 3/10. Has a few points where they get nice stuff and spike in use. Steal gets a point. That's...about it.
White Mage: 8/10. White magic beats the game, straight up. Lack of early offense hold it back, and I hear one boss makes an SCC flat out impossible, but otherwise they own.
Berserker: 1/10. My love for it is like a truck.
Mystic Knight: 6/10. Easy to use, solid damage, reasonably durable. Stronger in teh late game then Knight, but doesn't have the same brainless period of "mash A win" that Knight does.
Red Mage: 2/10 OR 5/10. Having just used one in the fiesta, I can state with certainty that the latter score is entirely for doublecast to give to SOMEONE ELSE ANYONE ELSE to use. Red Mage has stuff early. Stuff that TM/Summoner/BM are all better at on the magic side and Knight/MK are better at on the physical side. Past world 1, Red Mage blows chunks and was reliably my LVP in a team that contained a GEOMANCER. By the time you can get doublecast on them, they have only 2 real things to do with it. Cura and Protect. The -aras have stopped being viable offense some time ago. It's worth 2 points for it's early performance and ability to rod break, any further points are entirely for doublecast on classes that aren't RM. Even with doublecast on itself, it's still only a 2. Meep: use whichever RM score fits what you want from the ratings better, class in a vacuum or getting cred for an ability that's worth more then the rest of the class total.
Summoner: 8/10. On par with WM works.
Time Mage: 8/10. I like that WM/Summoner/TM honestly all feel pretty even and have completely different bags of tricks.
Beastmaster: 5/10. Control is good for Blue learning, Capture has some hax. Underwhelming otherwise, but I'll even it out to average. 
Geomancer: 3/10. Unreliable, but not shitty. Good for brainless mashing in most dungeons(!Gaia will rarely do something BAD for you, though it is known to be useless on occassion). Owns Sea Trench for free, which amuses me to no end but it's not really worth a point, I just like pointing it out.
Ninja: 6/10. Duel wield is nice, they use it well themselves and it's great passed onto others. They also have more then just one good ability! Solid class overall, but doesn't feel as dominant as Knight on the physical side.
Bard: 6/10. Secretly broken. Not so secretly frail as piss.
Ranger: 4/10. Again, a meh class with a great ability. But like ninjas(not a meh class, but the comparison works) and duel wield, they actually make solid enough use of themselves(am I making it obvious enough that I think RM on it's own is trash? I think I am). Worse then ninja overall, but I prefer rapid fire over duel weild, so they get more points for that. Just less for the overall package.
Chemist: 7/10. Broken as shit, but FAQ bait and requires grinding to get enough dragon fangs to really put it to good use. If I'm going to hold FAQ bait and hassle against Blue Mage, I'm gonna hold it against Chemist too. This still leaves them at a 7.
Dancer: 3/10. Harsh, but having just used one in the Fiesta...the best use for her was as a secondary Time caster. Dancer is owned by the undead. Massively. Sword Dance, even with boosting, is unreliable. And her really good equips aren't until last dungeon. Dancer's alright, but not good.
Dragoon: 2/10. Better then Berserker. That's about it.
Samurai: 5/10. Actually quite strong, but Knight/MK/Ninja are already getting the job done by this point.
Mime: DNR. See Freelancer.
Canoneer: 4/10. Fun, but niche and not that great really. I still recomend using one sometime, they're fun. MT damage+status is a neat niche and they do it well.
Gladiator: 3/10. It's Samurai all over again, only much later. An excellent physical combatant option...you've had time to master other physical options and are probably using freelancer setups by the time it comes.
Oracle: 0/10. I hear they have some theoretical use. I remain skeptical.
Necromancer: Abstain. Never got one.

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 25, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »
Final Fantasy 5 Jobs:
Freelancer: DNR
Black Mage: 6/10.  Decent.
Blue Mage: 7/10.  Requires some effort to be great, but very versatile and even minimal effort tends to pay off big with em.
Knight: 6/10. On par with Black seems about right.  The physical class of choice IMO.
Monk: 3/10. Mainly hurt by Knight being right there.
Thief: 8/10. Dash, Passages, and no back attacks are essential to me.  Excepting endgame and bosses with no good steals there is no time I don't want a thief in the party.  They don't win fights directly, sure, but they prevent you from losing them (a bad back attack is one of the only ways to actually wipe to randoms...) and help you win later fights indirectly with how awesome Steal is in this game.  And they don't need job levels to work at all, so you can rotate around who your thief is and have a good secondary on them.  I guess they're worse in the later ports with auto-dash, but I've only played SNES so... can't imagine not running with one.
White Mage: 9/10.  Even more essential.  Rest of your party does whatever you want, but your !White user is your ultimate insurance of winning, basically all game.  Not a 10 because the class itself is bad to be in as long as someone keeps the command current.
Berserker: 2.5/10.  Contrary to popular opinion using one isn't going to make you lose.  This is FF5.  >_>  But there's still no actual reason to use them.  Much like Monk, with a faster but somewhat less useful mastery.
Mystic Knight: 6.5/10.  Bad on randoms, great on bosses, bad on randoms made up for by having probably the best all around stat mastery.
Red Mage: 3.5/10.  !Red is never really good and honestly neither is dumping 1000+ otherwise totally dead JP in for doublecast.  I was going to say "doublecast is good, but..." but honestly?  It's not even that impressive by itself, until it's on a Mime or being combined with Quick shenanigans.
Summoner: 10/10.  Wins game.  Is never a bad class to be in, either statwise (okay, okay, fork tower, 9.999/10) or as a JP sink.
Time Mage: 8/10.  Incredibly powerful shenanigans.  Another must-run job for someone to run.  etc.
Beastmaster: 6/10.  !Control is maybe the best nonmagic command in the game, learn-once-throw-on-anything, no items or anything needed, synergizes with other jobs, etc.  Otherwise unremarkable class. 
Geomancer: 4/10.  Good passives and quick mastery for them gives it more of a reason to exist than Monk and less pain than RM.
Ninja: 7/10.  DPSDPSDPSDPS
Bard: 5/10.  Not actually that bad, especially if you have Arcane Knowledge of Game Mechanics, and outright good in a couple of otherwise annoying dungeons.
Ranger: 5.5/10.  I guess.  Bows ain't bad, but why bother grinding this when you have (M)Knight and Ninja right there?  Like doublecast, X-fight isn't even that good without some twinking from elsewhere, so it seems a kinda superfluous "win MORE" to me.
Chemist: 5/10.  This is how easily broken this game is.  Chemist is *average*.
Dancer: 4/10.  Exists.  "Whore Swords Dance", the ultimate in ghetto twinkery!!!
Dragoon: 2/10.  The worst class.  There is just no reason.  Even less than Berserker, who can at least claim their stat mastery does something!  They're still a 2 because this is FF5.
Samurai: 6/10.  Insert witty one liner about capitalism solving problems.  And the Masamune is good.
Mime: DNR
Glad, Cannon, Oracle: Abstain
Necromancer: 0/10.  You get this *where*?  After the entire game I have played, *and* after all the extra stuff I haven't?  Ahahahahaahahahahaha I even feel justified voting on this.  There's no in-game left for them to be useful!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 25, 2011, 11:38:39 PM »
At risk of starting up a silly debate...  I know what you're getting at here, but it still doesn't quite work.  If you have to jump through hoops to make a character awesome in-game, then it's entirely reasonable for somebody who found the hoops trivial / fun to give them 8/10 and for somebody who found the hoops unfun a 4/10, because people who found it unfun won't bother to uber the character up and won't assume that's part of an expected playthrough of the game.  (Blue Mage ability grinding, Chemist Mix experimentation / FAQing, etc.)  So fun factor *can* legitimately adjust a character's score on a steely "most powerful" basis.

Not necessarily what I'm referring too actually.  I fully understand the argument of "requires more effort than its worth" to make x character useful.  You'll note some people, including myself, have held this against some characters like, say, Nino in FE7, who is a clear example of a character who is great when caught up, but the whole "is it worth it?" factor kicks in, and that goes against her.

Its more that when people overlook uses of characters that do NOT require much work, simply because "it bores me" or "I have more fun using this character!"  If x character does something legitimately as good as y character, but y character is "more fun", but not necessarily more effective/more practical, the "fun" value is completely meaningless.  Some people despise using KOS MOS in XS1 for example cause she's "Hookerbot" and all that, and prefer using a team of chaos/Ziggy/Shion lets say (random Non-KOS MOS team off the top of my head), purely on grounds of character preferences.  Someone may actually hold that against KOS MOS and lower her score as a result, based entirely on Non-gameplay merits.  She didn't require any extra work to make good, as a turn off, didn't require any sort of obtuse means to be good, the person just didn't like her, thus didn't use her, and held that against her.  That's what I'm getting at.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 26, 2011, 03:55:26 AM »
Freelancer: DNR.
Black Mage: 6/10
Blue Mage: 8/10. Aqualung.
Knight: 7/10. I like swords.
Monk: 4/10.
Thief: 2/10.
White Mage: 7/10.
Berserker: 1/10.
Mystic Knight: 5/10.
Red Mage: 6/10.
Summoner: 9/10.
Time Mage: 8/10.
Beastmaster: 5/10.
Geomancer: 4/10.
Ninja: 8/10.
Bard: 6/10.
Ranger: 5/10.
Chemist: 6/10.
Dancer: 4/10.
Dragoon: 1/10.
Samurai: 6/10.
Mime: DNR
Canoneer: Abstain
Gladiator: Abstain
Oracle: Abstain
Necromancer: Abstain
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 05, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »
Final Fantasy 5 Jobs:
Freelancer: DNR.  Yeah, its a job that exists as filler early game when you have none, and as a late game overpowered beast to reap off the work of other jobs.  I guess its a Non-Berserker Axe using Job or something!
Black Mage: 6/10.  Even after Summoner, its a better boss fighter for a while (Summoner doesn't pass it until Ramuh and only on bosses not weak to Fire or Ice), and then becomes Summoner-lite for most of World 2 (he's not BAD, just Bio < Titan), then gets Aga's and rocks for a little while!  Yeah, above average rating.
Blue Mage: 8/10.  Kick ass abilities even if they're a bit of a pain to get.   Also Swords let it do something resembling physical damage as a plus.
Knight: 6/10.  Alright Physical Fighter throughout, Cover+Guard is a nice trick for some bosses.  Extra point for Double Grip, which is a nice skill for a lot of fighters in this game pre-Dual Wield.
Monk: 6/10.  Game best HP and Strength, Counter and good ST damage, and Brawl works to give jobs like White Mage actual damage for a while.  Would be higher if Kaiser Knuckles didn't compete with Hermes Sandals.
Thief: 4/10.  Utilities are nice, Double Lance gives them a moment of good damage, and they have game best speed!  Yeah, the scrub of the Wind Jobs.  Steal's not bad either, and I want to say Mug can allow usage of Chicken Knife for less AP than Rapid Fire?
White Mage: 6/10.  Good until you get Red Mage, then useless seeing as Red Mage is them trading in a bit of HP and MP for an actual physical and Black Magic with a free skill slot.  They're kind of worthless until Mua where they get Curaga and suddenly White Magic is a nice fall back for any job cause the healing upgrade is too big to ignore.
Berserker: 2/10.  Almost Monk level Vitality, and good strength for 200 less AP is something, and they CAN do really good damage if you care at certain parts!  Yeah, that's about all I can say good about them.
Mystic Knight: 6/10.  Spell Blade is awesome, that is all.  Ninja-level speed and SOS Shell is a nice boon.  Why aren't they higher?  Since they're kind of meh on randoms.
Red Mage: 5/10.  Basically obsolete White Mages in World 1!  Thing is, they do not last in World 2 since Cura sucks there, Aras (especially off their Magic) are not strong enough, and they never really get better.  Dual Cast gets them a point of course since that is indeed awesome, though you should do whatever it takes to spend as little time as possible in this job to get it.
Summoner: 8.5/10.  What happens when you give a Job high offense, alongside an Anti-Physical move?  This!
Time Mage: 7/10.  Just a nice skillset overall.
Beastmaster: 4/10. Whips are alright, and there are some nice catches.  Control makes getting Blue Magic easier too.  They're really a very much "almost there but really not worth effort" job.
Geomancer: 4/10.  Terrain has some nice stuff, but overall just not worth it barring a few very specific areas.
Ninja: 8/10.  Fast, does good damage, Throw is good for bosses, and Dual Wield is of course amazing.
Bard: 4/10.  Charm Song and Love Song are cool, and Requiem kicks ass when usable.  That said, there's little reason to use these guys overall, though they are quick to master.
Ranger: 6/10.  Animals is good healing at lower levels due to Nighting Gale being pretty reliable, Bows are good for Back Row damage, and Rapid Fire is...Rapid Fire.
Chemist: 7/10.  See Mystic Knight, only breaks bosses far worse.
Dancer: 3/10.  Ribbons are nice, as is Sword Dance, but the latter is not reliable enough until much later and they really don't have anything going for them otherwise.
Dragoon: 2/10.  I want to give them lower, but Lancet is alright for Mages so I give them that much.  That said, Jump is not as strong as it should be, stats are non-special for physical fighters, Lances can't be used with Double Grip, and Jump just kind of sucks.
Samurai: 5/10.  Gil Toss is a nice early game Trump Card to get out of a jam, Katanas have Crits which is nice, and Blade Grasp is neat.  Overall, though, they're just kind of there, and can be skipped over without any real penalties.   Passable but unremarkable I guess earns an average score.
Mime: DNR.  See Freelancer for the most part.
Canoneer: 4/10.  Open Fire is cool for a free attack, but nothing special.  Combine is a nice alternative to Syldra that can be used in conjunction with jobs that need MP for something else (like...uhh...White Mage <_<?)  Not much beyond that though.
Gladiator: 5/10.  Game best strength in FF5a, good speed, Finisher can yield far more dramatic results than Dance, and good equips...yep.
Oracle: 1.5/10.  GAME BEST MAGIC! READ AHEAD! ABP UP!  Ok, this Job is garbage; game best magic is more of a technical thing than an actual thing since the difference between it and Summoner isn't' large enough to care.  Read Ahead is Moogle Charm-, and is gotten later and much harder, and I don't give Mog that much credit for Moogle Charm.  AP Up is gotten after a point you've likely gained a lionshaer of the AP you need, and requires a lot of AP just to learn as is so takes a while for it to pay off.  What's it got otherwise?  One of the few jobs that can't use Knives thus despite its Magic Power making it one of the WORST Syldra users in the game, a ridiculously useless skillset, and can't even use Rods to support Black Magic.  Its like all it can do is hurl big powerful Holy's for ST damage.  I guess the fact that there's SOME theoretical use gives it half a point.
Necromancer: 1/10.  Is Undead and its gotten so ridiculously late, combined with the nature of how it learns things means there's no real way I can give this job a remote sense of credit.  I'm sorry, but "Boss Rush only" is not something I can respect with all those flaws.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:30:07 PM by Meeplelard »