Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129396 times)

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #450 on: September 08, 2010, 01:36:24 AM »
Breath of Fire 2:
Ryu Bateson: 8/10 - Solid
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 8/10- got all the healing spells Rand didnt IIRC
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 7/10- Strong but frail
Rand Marks: 7/10- Tanky healer
Nina Wyndia: 5/10 Out classed by Deis/Bleu
Sten Legacy: 5/10 Out classed by Katt
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 2/10 , the points are for death
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 5/10 Early fusion, lots of HP for a mage, I always like him for some reason
Deis: Why not "Bleu"? LOL 10/10 broken, maxes like all her stats

Chrono Cross Green Innates:
Neo Fio: 3/10 Her draining move was okay I think.
Glenn: 9/10 Would be a 10, but -1 for split path and I'm pretty sure Einlanzer is missable for the dual form.
Razzly: 7/10 excellent mage
Sprigg: 5/10 gimmicky as hell, but Wight Knight is a good doppelgang
Radius: 3/10 um no go away
Van: 2/10 being a good character doesnt mean your good in battle
Karsh: 9/10 yeah, Glenn with no Einlanzers, but better magic deserves the same score
Turnip: 1/10 Probably the latest gotten character. Worthless in every way.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 08, 2010, 03:08:30 AM »
Legend of Legaia:
Vahn: 4 - Average all-around, but sort of lagged behind the others to me. Faster than Gala was good, though!
Noa: 7 - Gamebest speed really helped. Used her as a healer a lot as a result. Pretty much carried the battles.
Gala: 5 - Gamebest magic mattered in LoL... I remember using magic over the combat strings in nearly every fight.

-Magic- matters. The stat, not so much. Gala doesn't deal all that much damage with the good spells compared to Vahn and even Noa. Since all three are capable of wiping randoms with solid-to-good crowd control serus, the main drive ends up being "who has better stats for randoms", which Vahn and Noa clearly win.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 08, 2010, 05:34:26 AM »
Hmm, I'm just noting surprise because I thought LoL was done before? (I remember mildly ranting on Gala overhype)

Legend of Legaia:
Vahn: 6. Passable, helps that one of your PCs is just trash.
Noa: 8. Fast+status that tends to tie up randoms+absurbly long input bar. The balance for Gala.
Gala: 2.5. Man, how bad do you have be to get a 2.5 in a game with 3 fixed PCs! Yeah, his stat advantages are HP, magic and MP. Magic as a stat does...little, and that's before all the additional problems (Learning magic, learning magic specifically on Gala, the only decent source of spammable damage magic isn't that early, etc..). MP...generally means you'll get any extra casting! Meanwhile, he always has a fraction of the physical damage of the others, and is slow as hell (So...meaning that if I'm right and the magic stat isn't potent, they probably may actually function as better mages or healers at times. And that's his niche!)

Honestly, don't even want to give him a 3 despite 3 fixed PCs thing because he feels like he just stacks up that badly against some other 3s.

Breath of Fire 2 (Rest later)
Ryu Bateson:
Bosche "Bow" Doggie:
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan:
Rand Marks:
Nina Wyndia:
Sten Legacy:
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean:
Aspara "Spar" Gus:
Deis:

Neo Fio:
Glenn:
Razzly:
Sprigg:
Radius:
Van:
Karsh:
Turnip:
...into the nightfall.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 08, 2010, 07:49:34 AM »
Legend of Legaia:
Vahn: 7/10
Noa: 6/10
Gala: 5/10 Don't care about LoL enough to really get into this.

Breath of Fire 2:
Ryu Bateson: 7.5/10. Pretty good. Guts, decent offense and tanky. As good as his dragon attacks are, using all his AP and tying it up gives me some pause. That and he doesn't feel much above Nina or Katt.
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 3/10. Healing but bad stats and generally worthless except for hunting. BoF2 rewards offense over defense except in a few rare cases.
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 7/10. Hits hard though the defense is a big problem. Speed makes up for it but you have to deal with scraping her off the ground every once in awhile.
Rand Marks: 4/10. Tanky and has some offense, but fails to really excel. Not entirely his fault as much as the way BoF2 works.
Nina Wyndia: 7/10. Good multi-target damage, death and Will to recover AP? A fine artillery piece to bring along.
Sten Legacy: 1/10. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 2/10. Death is worth one point, being Jean is worth -10 points. His final fusion isn't bad but it's much too little much too late.
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 2/10. Mediocrity.
Deis: 10/10. Has a great spell selection, absurd stats and a useful special ability. Her equipment selection holds her back, but she's still insane.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 08, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »
Blah blah blah, need to replay Chrono Cross...

Legend of Legaia: Seriously the most interesting one here >_>
Vahn: 6.7/10.  Vahn's well-balanced, and since he's the first character you get, his magic tends to be a little better for a while (Gimard is pretty cool for a while).  He's not standout, but still good.
Noa: 9.2/10.  Yeah...uh...don't underestimate Tough Love.  It trivializes some rough fights, and her speed is usually enough (once at an appropriate level) to outrace and outfight most foes.  She can also get some crazy combos going if you know what you're doing.   
Gala: 7.2/10.  Speed being bad is helpful as he...is the best healer!  His stats otherwise are great, and he's theoretically the highest damage character (theoretically if you hit level 99 <_<).  He starts a bit behind, unfortunately, but...he's still quite usable.  Also helps he's highly likely to survive things, so overkill means NOTHING to him >_>.

Breath of Fire 2:
Ryu Bateson: 8/10.  Overall solid.  Hits things, obliterates things, heals self.
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 8/10.  Stat-boosting items are easy to make, particularly STR.  As such, the EggBtr effect he has on his one bow makes him pretty good offensively.  Is not available for a while, but picks up fast enough (quick level gain).  And has the best healing (granted, items can fix that need).
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 4.7/10.  Eh...  Shaman form is ok, but honestly...not impressive until then, and even after...the deshamanization thing sucks.
Rand Marks: 6.4/10.  Never found him great offensively until really late (doesn't help his equipment sucks), and even then it's not too good.  His healing...feels secondarily useful.  Items work well enough for that (granted, Puppies or Dragons work relatively well too for KILLING THINGS BEFORE THEY GET A CHANCE TO ACT, especially if you have a Wisdom Fruit or two...which helps Rand out, since he's slow enough to toss them and not waste them!...ok, bonus points)
Nina Wyndia: 7/10.  Blows things apart pretty nicely.  Frail, and Will seems to hate me, but theoretically never runs out of AP.
Sten Legacy: 3.8/10.  Nice as that extra party member when you...uh...don't have one.  That's about it, really strikes me as LVP. 
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 2.1/10.  Nevermind >_>  Feels completely pointless until the final shaman form with Chop...which doesn't work on bosses.  Helps on randoms, but...so slow. 
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 4.7/10.  Teaching him Missile is the best use for him, with his AP and HP.  The shaman forms are decent as well, and he has lots so I think he ends up not directly competing with anyone.  Granted, feels outclassed by others.
Deis: 9.1/10.  Lol I use rings i suck hay guize?  She misses being able to get Renew or Cure2, but...eh, not a major issue.  Has the stats to use Death unlike Jean, and has better stats than the other mages. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Taishyr

« Reply #455 on: September 08, 2010, 04:27:35 PM »
Legend of Legaia:
Vahn: 7/10. Solid but not overwhelming.
Noa: 9/10. WHAPWHAPWHAPWHAP LUV YOU~
Gala: 5/10. He functions -fine- as a healer. Can he do anything else? Fuck no. Do you need a good healer? Yes. Do the other two really want to waste their time doing that? Ahahaha no. But the guaranteed sluggishness + healing's not too hard to get on people + he does have competentish durability = yeah okay this works for a 5.

Breath of Fire 2:
Ryu Bateson: 8.5/10. Walking nuke who smashes stuff physically. He does lag early, though, at least to me - but when he starts picking up, it's really noticeable.
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 7/10. Leaves the team for a time! But then comes back and levels up fast enough to make him worth reinvesting in. Solid healer and support character.
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 5/10. Good if you need another physical cannon, but... Ryu does fine there, at least to me.
Rand Marks: 5/10. Slow healer with less options but DOESN'T DIE EVER. Pretty solid.
Nina Wyndia: 7/10. Also lags a bit. But magic is a good random clearer.
Sten Legacy: 3/10. Uh huh. Can at least provide more magic cannoning if needed, and is faster than Nina at it... but he's not good despite that.
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 1/10. No credit for Death when it's fucking endgame and at least two other people can already have it and he's the worst user of it due to his shit speed anyway, and he has nothing else.
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 4/10. Only person I'm factoring fusions in for since there's so many available that Spar rarely takes away from the rest of the team's options. Not great options, mind, but makes 'em flexible, Spar's a good Missile choice (Rand/Bow compete, to me), and frankly versatile support wouldn't be terrible... but the game definitely has better -anyway-.
Deis: 9.5/10. Yeaaaaah she's not brooooooooken or anything definitely not. Rings/being hidden/being late cost her that remaining .5.

Chrono Cross Green Innates: Don't care enough, may copy someone else here later, don't care about Meeple's whining~
Neo Fio:
Glenn:
Razzly:
Sprigg:
Radius:
Van:
Karsh:
Turnip:

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 08, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Legend of Legaia:
Vahn: 7/10. Solid but not overwhelming.
Noa: 9/10. WHAPWHAPWHAPWHAP LUV YOU~
Gala: 5/10. He functions -fine- as a healer. Can he do anything else? Fuck no. Do you need a good healer? Yes. Do the other two really want to waste their time doing that? Ahahaha no. But the guaranteed sluggishness + healing's not too hard to get on people + he does have competentish durability = yeah okay this works for a 5.

Breath of Fire 2:
Ryu Bateson: 8.5/10. Walking nuke who smashes stuff physically. He does lag early, though, at least to me - but when he starts picking up, it's really noticeable.
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 7/10. Leaves the team for a time! But then comes back and levels up fast enough to make him worth reinvesting in. Solid healer and support character.
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 5/10. Good if you need another physical cannon, but... Ryu does fine there, at least to me.
Rand Marks: 5/10. Slow healer with less options but DOESN'T DIE EVER. Pretty solid.
Nina Wyndia: 7/10. Also lags a bit. But magic is a good random clearer.
Sten Legacy: 3/10. Uh huh. Can at least provide more magic cannoning if needed, and is faster than Nina at it... but he's not good despite that.
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 1/10. No credit for Death when it's fucking endgame and at least two other people can already have it and he's the worst user of it due to his shit speed anyway, and he has nothing else.
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 4/10. Only person I'm factoring fusions in for since there's so many available that Spar rarely takes away from the rest of the team's options. Not great options, mind, but makes 'em flexible, Spar's a good Missile choice (Rand/Bow compete, to me), and frankly versatile support wouldn't be terrible... but the game definitely has better -anyway-.
Deis: 9.5/10. Yeaaaaah she's not brooooooooken or anything definitely not. Rings/being hidden/being late cost her that remaining .5.

Tai covers my thoughts for BoF2 and LoL near perfectly, so score theft is go.

Chrono Cross Green Innates
Neo Fio: 3/10. Whatever.
Glenn: 7/10. Really great character overall. Good element, good stats, he's got basically everything. Loses a point for being splitpath and on the path it's not intuitive to take.
Razzly: 4/10. Not bad, actually. Just...well, you're passing up Glenn to get her, so that costs points.
Sprigg: 6/10. I find her gimmick interesting and fun to mess around with, which is worth a point or two for me.
Radius: 4/10. Eh, usable but why would you bother.
Van: 3/10. I want to like him for some reason, but he's frankly not good.
Karsh: 7/10. Worse then Glenn, but not splitpath and not worse by all that much. Does the job, does it well.
Turnip: 2/10. Green's my favorite CC element by far, and I kinda want to say there's only so bad a Green Innate can be, but...yeah. No. Turnip sucks.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #457 on: September 08, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »
Breath of Fire 2:
Ryu Bateson: 7/10.
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 3/10.
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 5/10.
Rand Marks: 4/10.
Nina Wyndia: 5/10.
Sten Legacy: 3/10.
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 2/10.
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 2/10.
Deis: 8/10.

Neo Fio: 4/10.  I think anyway.  I dno't really remember her having anything specifically wrong with her aside from being weaker than other options, and the game favors green over yellow so, sure, just kinda middling.
Glenn: 7/10.  Not so good as Serge, but clearly the #2 character in the game.
Razzly: 5/10.  She's really pretty solid, the best of the wand users/pure mages.  For whatever that's worth.
Sprigg: 3/10.  Just annoying to use.
Radius: 4/10.  Well, beats Sprigg at least.
Van: 3/10.
Karsh: 7/10.  He's pretty well the best PC you get for the back half of the game, and is never replaced in that role if you didn't get Glenn (who still replaces him kinda late if so)
Turnip: 3/10.  Probably the most obscure character in the game, and not worth it to start with.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 09, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »
Legend of Legaia:
Breath of Fire 2:

ffff
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #459 on: September 11, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »
Glenn: 7/10. Really great character overall. Good element, good stats, he's got basically everything. Loses a point for being splitpath and on the path it's not intuitive to take.

The hell you say. Kid was obnoxious and I wished she was dead.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #460 on: September 11, 2010, 12:43:05 AM »
He just means that the path where you get Not-Jamaican Islander Mom on your team is less intuitive than the "Let's kill a big Hydra and destroy the eco-system for selfish reasons" path.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #461 on: September 11, 2010, 04:58:36 AM »
Actually he means "wait, you mean this game actually lets you ignore the cliche option and leave the obvious love interest to die" is obsure.  The fact the game gives you so many "you don't really mean that" checks reinforces that, so even a savvier player may not realize you can actually do it.
(Or, indeed, that you can opt to never recruit Kid at all.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 11, 2010, 05:06:06 AM »
CK hits it on the head. The first time I head about the splitpath I was honestly kinda shocked that the game would actually let you give up on her and it wasn't all just a big "But Thou Must" moment.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #463 on: September 11, 2010, 06:25:13 AM »
Actually he means "wait, you mean this game actually lets you ignore the cliche option and leave the obvious love interest to die" is obsure.  The fact the game gives you so many "you don't really mean that" checks reinforces that, so even a savvier player may not realize you can actually do it.

Sssh! I was explaining it in violent, self-serving terms that Rob would understand and you totally ruined the joke~

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #464 on: September 11, 2010, 06:27:49 AM »
Actually he means "wait, you mean this game actually lets you ignore the cliche option and leave the obvious love interest to die" is obsure.  The fact the game gives you so many "you don't really mean that" checks reinforces that, so even a savvier player may not realize you can actually do it.

Shrug. I kept trying my first time. Just like when Fallout says "You really don't want to put the FEV in the water," and I respond, "I'm calling your bluff, fucker. You're trying to make me think I'm not allowed to do it but I am."

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 11, 2010, 04:11:10 PM »
Breath of Fire 2
Ryu Bateson:8/10.  Lags early on, but only for about the first two or three dungeons.  Then he proceeds to single-handedly hand Argus his ass for the most part and generally doesn't get any worse from there on.
Bosche "Bow" Doggie:4/10: Hoo boy.  Leaving the party like this, returning at the same level, in a game without leaked experience?  He's a healer, but you don't need too many of those in BoF2.  One at most.
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan:8/10: One of my main party members.  Yeah, she's frail.  She also was the only one who was up there with Ryu on damage until Nina came in on her own.  Shaman form is awesome.
Rand Marks:3/10: Doesn't deserve anything above what Bow got, really.  Close enough, only slower, tankier, and with the only earth spell in the game.  woo.  hoo.  Only now because he hasn't been used for the whole game, you have to levelgrind his ass for that damned knight.
Nina Wyndia:7/10: Nina took a bit to start up.  Her usefulness wasn't really apparent for the first...half of the game.  She has Bolt-X, though.  And Death.  Later on she's good.
Sten Legacy: 4/10: He was filler until I got Deis.  Fast with okayish magic and damage.  Nothing special, though.  Minus one for the forced Highfort segment where I had to levelgrind him.
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean:3/10: More of a vehicle than a character to me.
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 2/10: As above, only doesn't even serve that much of a use as one.  Also sucks.  A lot.
Deis:9/10: It's Deis.  What do you expect?
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 11, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »
BoF 2 is deceptive with its exp curve.  You don't get spill over exp, but if you are lower level then you do get more experience than the rest of the party (up to twice as much I believe?) and from there individual characters have their own level up requirements.  Bow's is actually insanely low, he is one of the easiest party members to accidentally overlevel because of it.  BoF 2 designers knew he would be low level when he came back so compensated for it to get him back up to speed incredibly quickly.  If anything they even slightly overtuned it, but it is pretty close that Bow doesn't really suffer much of a penalty other than half a dungeon or so of catch up.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 12, 2010, 03:20:56 AM »
Man, base level Rand can beat that knight without much trouble (he kinda sucks), you shouldn't need to levelgrind him. Same goes for Nina's duel. Sten's is the only one I'd expect to actually cause trouble in that regard (even then, it's not too bad, depending on how many fights you got into en route to Highfort).

Breath of Fire 2 (Rest later)
Ryu Bateson: 8/10. High counter rate and game-best defence in a game where the enemies have a huge bias to targetting the first position? Awesome. The best PC against bosses, and the best in randoms that take longer than one round. Unfortunately that's a minority of randoms, or he'd be truly amazing.
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 5/10. Healers are okay.
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 7/10. Fast and smashes things.
Rand Marks: 6/10. See Bow. Bonus point because his shamans synergise better with the party's.
Nina Wyndia: 7.5/10. Smashes things, often fast, Infinite MP due to Will, Death is awesome, etc.
Sten Legacy: 4/10. Inferior Katt WITH MORE DURABILITY AND MAGIC but these still don't really matter.
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 2/10. Not much to say here, he's too slow to be good in randoms and doesn't provide much else.
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 2/10. He'd be a bit better if you couldn't teach Cure 2 to another PC, as is he doesn't even get healing battery hype, and again, too slow to be used in randoms.
Deis: 8/10. Nina, but stats are a bit better for a while, a winning trade even though she gives up Will for the inferior Shed.

Neo Fio: 2/10. Ick.
Glenn: 5/10. Good for a fighter, but see my comments before - you need magic for me to really care about you in this game.
Razzly: 3.5/10. Okay filler mage. Maybe.
Sprigg: 2/10. No.
Radius: 3/10. Bleh.
Van: 1/10. lulz, Razzly without the magic.
Karsh: 6.5/10. #3 in strength AND high magic? Sign me up.
Turnip: 3/10. Whatever.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 16, 2010, 10:50:18 PM »
Legend of Legaia:
Vahn: 6/10.  Good for what he is, but nothing special.
Noa: 7/10.  I think people overrate just how much better she is than Vahn, and her "Charm" move is like the single silliest hype there is cause, you know, normal damage KILLS RANDOMS, why waste it on charm?  That said, still fastest character which is the most important stat.
Gala: 4/10.  Ok, the speed drop between Vahn and Gala is much larger than Noa to Vahn, cause at least Vahn did enough damage to keep up with Noa at points, same can't be said for Gala.  He's still a meat shield with good HP and MP I guess?

Breath of Fire 2:
Ryu Bateson: 8.5/10.  You really rely on his durability for a good part of the game, considering your team + how Rand needs to play catch up, so that gives him half a point; the other 8 come from being just very good!
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 4/10.  Underleveled, and not particularly special when he's caught up.  Healing is cool though.
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 7/10. Hits things hard and fast.  Dies quickly, but not as big a hinderance as it could be.
Rand Marks: 6/10.  Tankish Healer.  His healing comes a little later than you'd like, but still solid enough.
Nina Wyndia: 7.5/10.  Nukes battle fields dead! Low durability in BoF2 on a mage isn't a big deal, cause being placed in the 4th slot has no downsides on magic damage, while lowering frequency of being hit.
Sten Legacy: 4/10.  Has a brief stint where he's great due to early Full Shamanizing, but beyond that, un-impressive.
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 4/10.  Wasted potential.  They needed to give him more Holy weapons, and up his stats some for his gimmick to really work.
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 2/10.  Full Shamanizing isn't as cool on a character who has no real means of offense for most of the game, he ends up being Nina with more HP but worse everything else that matters...oh yeah, he's underleveled too!
Deis: 9/10.  Joins overleveled (if stats are iffy for the level), and lots of magic!  Her + Nina = things die.

Neo Fio: 4/10.  Filler.
Glenn: 7/10.  Late game physical is actually strong enough to make up for his magic stat, and X-strike is a cruel duel tech that's gotten really fast.
Razzly: 4/10.  Competent Mage, but split-path on the clear worse path docks her a point.
Sprigg: 2/10.  Crap; ditch her the instant you get someone better.
Radius: 4/10.  Competent Filler.
Van: 4/10.  Competent filler.
Karsh: 7/10. Oh hey look, a High Strength Axeman, we haven't seen that before, he clearly won't be...wait, is that a GOOD magic stat and non-fail speed? Holy shit!  Yeah, Karsh is awesome.
Turnip: 1/10.  Gotten late, and in Chrono Cross, Gotten late translates to "Why the fuck would I use him ever?" cause they're gotten after people like Karsh.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #469 on: September 17, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »
I remember being a kid thinking how cool it was that you got a bunch of boss characters in your party like Karsh and Zoah. Now my thoughts are "Why didn't we get Solt and Peppor!?"

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 17, 2010, 03:00:08 AM »
I remember being a kid thinking how cool it was that you got a bunch of boss characters in your party like Karsh and Zoah. Now my thoughts are "Why didn't we get Solt and Peppor!?"

Ain't like CC doesn't already have tons of filler characters anyway.  Hi starky.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #471 on: September 17, 2010, 04:26:26 AM »
Even as trope-y as they are, Solt and Peppor have more personality (or more quantifiably, dialog) than over half of the cast of CC.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 24, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »
Legend of Legaia:
Vahn: 6.13
Noa: 7.74
Gala: 4.47

Breath of Fire 2:
Ryu Bateson: 8.00
Bosche "Bow" Doggie: 5.35
Rinpoo "Katt" Chuan: 6.22
Rand Marks: 5.19
Nina Wyndia: 6.75
Sten Legacy: 3.48
Ekaru Hoppa De Pe Jean: 2.21
Aspara "Spar" Gus: 2.97
Deis: 9.11

Neo Fio: 2.81
Glenn: 6.70
Razzly: 4.17
Sprigg: 3.50
Radius: 3.67
Van: 2.89
Karsh: 6.75
Turnip: 1.88

Best Rating of this Session: Deis w/ 9.11
Worst Rating of this Session: Turnip w/ 1.88

Top 10 Ratings:
1. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
2. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
3. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
4. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
5. Haar (FE10) 9.17
6t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
6t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
8. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
9. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
10. Elincia (FE10) 8.85

Top 10 Failures:
1. Karla (FE7) 0.77
2. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
3. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
4. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
5. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
6. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
7. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
8. Garret (FE6) 1.36
9. Mogu (BoF) 1.50
10. Noel Chandler (SO2) 1.55

I want to whine about something...but I can't...screw you all :(

Shadow Hearts Covenant:
Karin Koenig:
Nicholai Conrad:
Yuri Hyuga:
Gepetto:
Blanca:
Joachim Valentine:
Lucia:
Anastasia Romanov:
Kurando Inugami:
Ouka:
Raiden:
Hien:

Chrono Cross Yellow Innates:
Poshul:
Mel:
Norris:
Funguy:
Sneff:
Zoah:
Viper:
Leah:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:03:26 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 25, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »
Shadow Hearts Covenant:

Karin Koenig: 6/10. Balanced niche coverage and Geuschbenst is great on combos. Not much else, but it's good enough for an above average score.
Nicholai Conrad: DNR.
Yuri Hyuga: 9.5/10. Even godlier than SH1 later on. Not as good early, but he covers -everything- once again, and does it earlier than anyone else. The free combo whoring with right positioning also mauls things even further, and let's not talk about stuff like Amon or Seraphic Radiance.
Gepetto: 3/10. Oh wow. Crappy personal skills, crappy stats. No real point to using him, he's pretty much Zhuzhen with an even poorer skillset.
Blanca: 5/10. The speed is nice, but the uniques worth noting are insanely late and his offense stats sorta don't pan out too well. Blanca needed better magic. Pretty average in practice.
Joachim Valentine: 5/10. Speed needs work, durability is okay, so is comboing. The crappy magic doesn't inspire me, though, magic is the most efficient way to deal with randoms as is due to crowd control and Joa is the worst at it. Joachythms honestly feel not worth hyping at all.
Lucia: 4/10? I'unno, the oils are -amazing- in theory, but in practice, they're not worth the trouble very often and Lucia's stats don't work very well for randombusting. She's not terrible, but certainly didn't find myself inspired.
Anastasia Romanov: 5.5/10. Best mage? Says so little, but I'm giving an extra half-point for Snapshot and another half-point for Ana getting stronger unique combo tools than the other mages.
Kurando Inugami: 8/10. One dungeon of sucking, then smashes shit. Not being as versatile as Yuri is his only true flaw, but the stat dominance and strong stats for both types of fighting just go places.
Ouka: DNR.
Raiden: DNR.
Hien: DNR.

Poshul: 4/10. Uh she's okay early.
Mel: 1/10. Worthless.
Norris: 6/10. He's pretty okay. Both his magic and physical were solid, from what I remember. Nothing really awesome, but.
Funguy: 3/10. Eh pure fighter.
Sneff: 2/10. Eeeeeeeeeeew.
Zoah: 4/10. Good fighter stats, but still pure fighter. Magic in CC be important.
Viper: eh who cares 4/10.
Leah: 4/10. Zoah.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:12:33 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 25, 2010, 12:53:37 AM »
Poshul: Stop me if you've heard this one before.  3/10
Mel: Abstain.
Norris: Don't recall his magic being that good, really.  Decent enough but it's CC, even if he had good magic I'd be hard-pressed to care.  3.5/10
Funguy: CC filler. 3/10
Sneff: Bad.  2/10
Zoah: Eh Karsh is better. 3.5/10
Viper: Abstain.
Leah: Gamebest HP or something.  3/10