Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129358 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »
Breath of Fire:
Ryu: 8.5/10. Boomerang death god. I wish his tanking was more proactive, but aside from that, boomerangs off high speed are great for randoms, and dragons are great for bosses.
Nina: 8/10. Initiative healing is sexy. Wish she had MT healing, though.
Sr-1: 3/10. Bad.
Sr-2: 5/10. Competent but uninspiring. Correct me if I'm mixing them up, but I don't think I am.
Sr-3: DNR, you don't fight anything notable with him.
Bo: 5/10. His lightning magic makes a mockery of the bosses you fight before you get dragons. After that he tails off fairly badly.
Karn: 8/10. Fusions wreck things rather nicely, though he's one-dimensional and if does go down (ID) it sucks.
Gobi: 1.5/10. Half a point because his magic is good against Pincher.
Ox: 4/10. Can sub in for a quick initiative heal if need be.
Deis: 9/10. Crazy HP, speed, and damage.
Mogu: 1/10. Hahahaha.

Elf covers BoF1 quite nicely.

Fire Emblem Staves, Light Magic, and Thieves:
Ellen: 2/10. Not good.
Chad: 5/10. Thieves are very very useful in FE6. Decent supports and...well, he can generally avoid dying if attacked at least if he gets levels. Not promoting means 5 is the highest a thief can go, though.
Clarine: 8/10. Evade tank from hell, mobile healer and has FE6 anima magic. Does her job and does it well.
Saul: 4/10. Better then Ellen, but still not good.
Astol: 3/10. There if you lost Chad, but pretty inferior to him all around, iirc.
Cath: 2/10. Yeah. Don't find her a hassle to recruit myself, but Chad and Astol are prolly better thieves anyway, so...
Cecilia: 3/10. More useful then Ellen I think, but really you have Clarine so why bother?
Yodel: 2/10. Staff levels, yeah. Niime is a better choice for that anwyay.

Serra: 4/10. She's not bad, but egads her supports take forever to form.
Matthew: 6/10. Call me biased, but he always seems to come in handy. Just wish that promotion item were earlier.
Lucius: 7/10. Glass cannon. Can be a liability if you aren't good at protecting him, but tends to kill shit dead, so he's worth the effort to protect. Also easy Raven support is <3.
Priscilla: 5/10. Better then Serra overall, I want to say. Mobility and Anima being > Light in general. Also easier to support.
Legault: 4/10. There if you lose Matt or if he turns out bad. Same problem though, really wishes that Fell Contract came earlier.
Jaffar: 4/10. Decent combat unit if you need one that late, I suppose.
Renault: 2/10. Eeeeeh, yeah, not very good. IIRC he can take a hit by healer standards at least, but that's about all he's got going for him.

Moulder: 4/10. Early healer, not horrible overall but he's hardly good either.
Colm: 8/10. Yeah, Colm's a good combat thief. Neimi support is awesome as well.
Artur: 6/10. He's not bad, but always makes me miss Lucius a bit. Slayer helps though.
Natasha: 6/10. Great healer, not hard to build up IMO.
L'Arachel: 5/10. Better then Natasha I think, but loses a couple points for the late join.
Rennac: 3/10. Nothing special, but he's usable at the very least.

Rhys(9): 4/10. I've used him and didn't regret it, but Mist is simply better, yes.
Volke(9): 7/10. Not a bad fighter at all for a thief. Knives suck in 9 but he still does the job.
Sothe(9): 2/10. Non-promoting thieves are not fun.

Laura: 5/10. Sure the DB can use Vulernaries and get(usually) full healing from it...or Laura could heal someone so they can use thier turn to attack instead. Or better yet heal them after they attack so they aren't sitting there with the counter damage still on them as a headstart for the enemy's turn. I could see dropping her for another fighter once you aren't using everyone you have, but...nah. She's good enough.
Sothe(10): 7/10. Damn nessesary in the DB stages. I would not even consider some kind of FE10 challenge that involved not using Sothe. Servicable at endgame, if nothing special.
Heather: 5/10. Eh, I used her in basically every stage she was available and she was just fine if not standout. Average works.
Rhys(10): Abstain. Didn't use him at all.
Oliver: Abstain. Didn't recruit him.
Volke(10): Abstain. Didn't use him at all.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:43:26 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 29, 2010, 07:44:22 PM »
I had her get one-rounded by mages on 1-E. Conversely, letting her be killed by cats is just silly because there are like 25 chokepoints~
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 29, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
you mean her sub-Micaiah speed and barely above average res?  Yes, clearly invincible.

Her growth in speed is 70% which is 5% off gamebest. You're comparing Rhys surviving a cat attack, something which is only possible endgame as proof so her growths come into this. At endgame Cats can't kill her and unlike Rhys she doesn't have to "luck out".

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
There's a huge slew of game before the ending stages kick in. If you start with unsalvageably shitty stats and are a complete liability that struggles to grow without risking resets right and left, I can't say the growths will be a great help while the character doesn't reach the point where those stats don't suck. Also, isn't Laura's speed cap trashy, ramming the growths with a lead horn in the ass anyway?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »
Her growth in speed is 70%

Too bad about the 5 base which is uncontested game-worst, so Cmdr is entirely correct. And the slow rate of level-gaining counteracts the growth some. Laura isn't catching up to Micaiah in speed until she promotes. And it's bad when you're playing catch-up with Micaiah in the speed department.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
Rhys will also probably slam into his Magic, Res, and Luck caps so fast that he'll have no problem using Bonus Exp to max speed and potentially even defense by the endgame.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2010, 12:17:07 AM »
Why not invest that in a offensively useful character though? I never use BEXP on healers -- they already do their healing thing without it, and combat units improve in ways that actually matter.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »
Her growth in speed is 70%

Too bad about the 5 base which is uncontested game-worst, so Cmdr is entirely correct. And the slow rate of level-gaining counteracts the growth some. Laura isn't catching up to Micaiah in speed until she promotes. And it's bad when you're playing catch-up with Micaiah in the speed department.

Getting her to Lv 15 or so isn't unreasonable before 1-E and I always promote her myself. During all this time she is useful while Rhys during his time isn't. Laura pretty much always fills an empty slot and her healing helps a bunch, Rhys meanwhile is in a team that dosn't need healing and is filling a slot that could be used for someone that can actually kill something.

Rhys will also probably slam into his Magic, Res, and Luck caps so fast that he'll have no problem using Bonus Exp to max speed and potentially even defense by the endgame.

And Laura can't do this why? Her growths are better then Rhys with three or four of them being 70%. Though considering its easy to level up healers anyway and they shouldn't ever be getting attacked I question why you'd waste bonus xp on them.

Also, isn't Laura's speed cap trashy, ramming the growths with a lead horn in the ass anyway?

31 while Rhys is 30. Not steller but she'll cap it early at least.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2010, 03:58:23 AM »
Breath of Fire:
Ryu: 8/10. What Elf said.
Nina: 8/10. What Elf said.  Also my E-Key spammer for the first half of the game.
Sr-#: DNR.  I played BoF1 three times and don't remember Sr-3's existence at all so yeah don't trust myself on the others gameplay abilities either.
Bo: 4/10. What Elf said, but the drop is pretty dramatic.  From "rather useful" to "Karn soul food at best."
Karn: 8/10.  Well you can't completely abuse fusions because he needs to be untransformed to do his detect-traps thing but whatever.
Gobi: 1/10.  Karn soul food, that's it, which I'm not really inclined to give him credit for.
Ox: 4/10.  Better than late-game Bo I guess if Karn is untransformed.
Deis: 9/10.  Only flaw is that with BoF1's high encounter rate you can't exactly spam her best stuff despite excellent resources.
Mogu: 2/10.  Actually not worthless!  If Puka is in play you only have 5 characters to use, so if nothing else Mogu can sub in for dead characters, or help conserve Deis's MP.

Serra: 5/10?
Matthew: 4/10?
Lucius: ---  Didn't use.
Priscilla: 6/10?  Mobile is good on a healer.
Legault: 6/10.  I found it hard to level up Matthew safely but Legault is more RNG-proof and pretty decent at fighting.
Jaffar: 6/10.  Pretty decent fighter.
Renault: 5/10.  Renault is just fine, healers level up way too slow in FE7 so the giant level advantage he had on Serr for me definitely gives him something.  Matters less if you farmed heal-XP I guess.

Moulder: 4/10.  Not terrible.
Colm: 7/10.  Great.  Only problem is that he can get STR-screwed with bad luck but this is not news for FE.
Artur: 5/10.  Seemed okay but nothing special.
Natasha: 5/10.  Also okay but the fact that Sages got Staves too meant that she kind of paled next to Lute.  Also preferred L'Arachel for mobility.
L'Arachel: 6/10.  Annoying to build her up but hey, in FE8 (unlike FE7) I felt no shame about going to a random battle map and spamming heal for a bit.
Rennac: 4/10.  Maybe your Colm got RNG-screwed.  He's serviceable, and you can ignore him and drop him into the L'Arachel's castle mission with no levels and be fine to have double-thiefy action as far as raiding the treasure.

Rhys(9): 4/10.  Far too frail in my games.
Volke(9): 6/10.  Sure you need a thief and Volke can kill wimps if not armored guys.
Sothe(9): 2/10.  Very much a "break glass in case of Volke emergency" character and that's it.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2010, 04:52:01 AM »
Hmm, you're basically giving Mogu a point because he can't be used in fusions (otherwise presumably Gobi would merit the same score). That makes little sense to me; I totally understand not giving credit for being part of fusions (I don't either) but I think penalising someone for being part of them makes even less sense.

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2010, 05:22:49 AM »
Ryu: 7.5/10. Pretty good.
Nina: 8.5/10. Yesz.
Sr-1:---
Sr-2:---
Sr-3:---
Bo: 5/10. Passable.
Karn: 8/10. Puka~
Gobi: 1.5/10. Fusion 0.5 points.
Ox: 4.5/10. Decent healer to sub in. Slow as molasses though.
Deis: 7.5/10. Solid PC.
Mogu: 1/10. lulz

Serra: 3/10
Matthew: 6/10
Lucius: 7.5/10- Glass cannon ftw.
Priscilla: 7/10
Legault: 7/10- Tanktastic.
Jaffar: 3/10
Renault: 1.5/10. +0.5 for the Fortify staff.

Moulder: 2/10. Uggggggh his luck.
Colm: 8/10. Wins.
Artur: 5.5/10. Worse Lucius.
Natasha: 6/10. Solid enough.
L'Arachel: 5/10. Joins late but has really high stats for her level. A lot of the time I just promote her early. +Move is nice.
Rennac: 3/10.

Rhys(9): 3/10. lulz
Volke(9): 6/10. Not terrible.
Sothe(9): 2/10. lulz. Utility.

Laura: 4/10. A begrudgingly necessary if not great unit. Please don't get doubled by mages and killed ;_;
Sothe(10): 7/10. Jeigan. Pretty awesome.
Heather: 3.5/10. Siiiigh.
Rhys(10): 2/10.
Oliver: 3/10. Filler B rank staff user.
Volke(10): 5/10. Pretty good but not around much.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:24:59 AM by Ciato »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2010, 06:46:36 AM »
Hmm, you're basically giving Mogu a point because he can't be used in fusions (otherwise presumably Gobi would merit the same score). That makes little sense to me; I totally understand not giving credit for being part of fusions (I don't either) but I think penalising someone for being part of them makes even less sense.

I'll admit it's unintuitive, but...  think of it this way.  Karn is untransformed.  If you stick Gobi in front and he dies, Karn can't transform anymore.  If you stick Mogu in front then whatever.

Not to mention that in some ways Mogu > Gobi anyway (he's faster at least, does comparable damage IIRC) so I'm not too sorry about giving him a 1 point advantage.  Won't debate that they're both scrubs.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2010, 06:53:35 AM »
Ellen: 2/10. Random really sums it up. 20% speed growth? 5% def growth? 0 base DEF? Fuck you
Chad: 6/10. The better combat thief of the two viable thieves. Chad hits harder if you need to put him on offense, and that Lugh support is pretty sexy.
Clarine: 9/10. Durable wall, healer, and can deal damage (but not as good) once she's promoted. Pretty much everything you want sans a little more offense. Feeling generous today. So 9 it is~
Saul: 5/10. Mmm...the better Cleric of the two units. Saul actually y'know, grows decently well over time. Don't recall his supports...which probably means they are either bad, or that they require you to use bad units.
Astol: 6.5/10. The better defensive thief of the two viable thieves IIRC. Supports with...less awesome units, but still pretty good. I imagine, him and Chad play out around the same in practice though.
Cath: 0/10. She might as well NOT exist. The fact that she actively HAMPERS you when she first appears is enough to drop her to a 0.
Cecilia: 2.5/10. Uh...pretty bad. The bases are just crappy, but AT worst, she can sub in as a last minute mounted healer. Anima magic is good, so you may be able let her take pot shots or something otherwise.
Yodel: 2.5/10. End game filler. GODLIKE RES. Shitty pretty much everything else

Serra: 5/10. -1AS whenever she's attacking isn't a good start. Thankfully, Serra's raison d'etre is not for straight up combat. Makes a good second healer, but is almost always going to be worse than Pris. Lyn mode gives her a bonus point, for all that you can probably make it without a healer. The god awful support speed just kills her from being better than a 5.
Matthew: 6/10. Eh...Matt's really iffy. He's got good speed and luck growth. The luck base is too low though, which does hurt if the RNG decides to be unkind. He does have the highest speed for a while, which means that his doubles will help offset some things, but that strength is just kinda bad and his other defensive stats aren't anything to write home on. This hurts later on. BUT! He does have Lyn mode and availability, which means he IS your only thief for a bit. Above average works.
Lucius: 7/10. Glass cannon. But a good one.
Priscilla: 7.5/10. Your best healer sans Pent. Mounted, supports with three pretty awesome units (Raven/Lucius/Oswin) and her growths are pretty solid.
Legault: 5.5/10. A better version of Matthew at the expense of appearing less (Around 20 maps if we factor in Lyn mode and Hector mode). Stronger defensive stats, which is what you want more in a thief, especially later on when they get cap rammed.
Jaffar: 3/10. Uh...well he saves you 50k if you want an Assassin? Not bad otherwise, but that strength cap is freaking balls and he's not that great straight up
Renault: 1.5/10. Literal fill in healer for the last stretch. That Fortify staff is a waste on him though.

Moulder: 3/10. Exists for like a map or two? He has HIGHER CON!!! and not much else over Natasha sans supports. And...well...both of those supports may not be that great since Colm is often ahead of the map doing thief duties and Vanessa flies. But still, they're there.
Colm: 8/10. He's practically a SM but in a thief class. Needless to say, this is pretty badass.
Artur: 5/10. A worse version of Lucius basically. Trades off some offense for more durability.
Natasha: 6/10. The stronger healer for most of the game. Supports could use some work - but not terrible.
L'Arachel: 4/10. PROJECT HEALER! The good news for L'Arachel is that she grows well and her bases are very good for her level. Meaning you can quick promote her and not suffer huge penalties. Being able to support the lords is icing on the cake.
Rennac: 2/10. Because I have to rank him numerically and not just put Vice President/10. He's a free Rogue, so if you want to turn Colm into an ASSASSIN so he can get more EXPs, you have that option. His Luck is failure though.

Rhys(9): 4/10. Worse than Mist in pretty much everyway. That speed defense mix is just...no. But he's your only healer for a while. And he has some support use (I think?)
Volke(9): 6/10. I don't recall using him terribly a lot after promotion for combat duties, so that pretty much says it all right there. As a thief though, he has his moments. Getting him levelled up is just a pain though since knives have shit for Might. AND you can't forge them
Sothe(9): 1/10. Yeah...so, throw in low levelled at joining period + bad weapons and that's Sothe. You can use him, but Volke's higher levelled and thus better most of the time. And using Sothe9 is just a pain since when he first joins, his ability to a) kill things and b) survive things are not exactly stellar.

Laura: 4/10. Yeah. She's the only healer on the DB and thus you need her around more or less in part 1 unless you want to rely on Sacrifice. She's otherwise pretty bad. The bases are just not good (and 5 starting speed? Argh). Dying to everything in one hit and then some? Also not good.
Sothe(10): 8/10. A reliable Jeigan for both part 1 and part 3 maps. Part 3 maps really are just Sothe showing off his shiny Beast killer. Also some stealingz, but that's not where he's getting a lot of his points for. He's usable in the early part 4 maps and becomes sub par come endgame. 28 Strength off Knives = blargh no.
Heather: 3.5/10. The only one who can perform thiefly duties for the CRK and GMs. I don't recall how much you can steal unfortunately. Defenses are quite horrible.
Rhys(10): 2/10. Oh wait, my mistake. Here's someone with even WORSE defense than Heather, because Heather at least has speed. Rhys? 14 base speed at level 4 in tier 2 = no no no no no WHY. That durability combo is just WINNER. His main advantage over Mist when they both start out is his OFFENSE. That...says pretty much everything.
Oliver: 1/10. You basically never have any reason to add him to the team. The only time he can join is Endgame, and costs you a deployment slot out of 10. From what the game gives you during endgame, you have enough filler units to slot in (Nailah/Naesala, Tibarn, Giffca, Cain, Volke, Stefan, Renning, Elincia, Bastian) assuming you've never given anyone else a single drop of EXP. Secondary healer? Elincia takes care of that, AND she's miles better on offense and she can't die before endgame. I was tempted to give him lower until NEB reminded me that the Nosferatu and Silence he comes with > the 70 Boss EXP you get from killing him. But damn, if he isn't close to getting a 0.5 as well.
Volke(10): 6/10. Very solid. He gets dropped a .5 though because Sothe HAS to be used at endgame. Which means bringing him along leaves one person needing to use a forge instead of the Baselard, further nuking the team's overall offensive contribution a round. He's otherwise pretty much a Trueblade but in a different class with a different mastery (but at least his guarantees a kill upon triggering!)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:59:33 AM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2010, 06:55:44 AM »
Karn: 8/10.  Well you can't completely abuse fusions because he needs to be untransformed to do his detect-traps thing but whatever.

Karn can still detect traps while fused.

Also, the nature of Fusions work such that...I can't really buy that as a downside.  if you're using a Fusion, you'll use it; the fact that Gobi is completely worthless outside of 2 fights (Morteo and Pincher) means that he should never be in the front.  Also, Karn's fusions have initiative; if you were planning on using it, you'd have done so and succeeded, mid battle.  Its a superficial downside at best.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:57:53 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »
Breath of fire:

Ryu: 9/10. Dominates the entire game.
Nina: 7/10. Quaility healer late, but she lacks offense.
Sr-1: DNR
Sr-2: DNR
Sr-3: DNR
Bo: 6/10. Very good early, bad late.
Karn: 8/10
Gobi: 1/10
Ox: 5/10
Deis: 7/10. Joins too late, but is very good.
Mogu: 1/10

FE thieves:

Serra: 6/10. Fairly good healer, but her defense is garbage. Luckily FE7 doesn't punish you for this the way 9-10 do. Offense could be better as well, as any decent tomb weighs her down horribly. This works.
Matthew: 6/10. Tons of availability+good supports.
Lucius: 7/10. Starts with a ton of speed and magic, which makes up for the defense issues. Also has good supports.
Priscilla: Abstain.
Legault: 3/10. More strength than Matt, but the supports are worse. Gets squeezed out of the game by Matt being better and Jaffar not being a prepromo.
Jaffar: 4/10. Usuable filler.
Renault: 2.5/10. Usuable filler if you really need an A stave user late.

Rhys (9)- 3/10. Has to be protected and doesn't really have much offense. He still has some use as a stave user.
Volke- 5/10. Useless as a combat unit thanks to knives, but stealing is useful.
Sothe- 1.5/10. A second thief is sometimes useful. Maybe?

Laura- 4/10. Laura's frail enough that she has to have an Angelic robe+promotion to functionally survive an enemy turn in part 1. She is a total project who gets great later on thanks to fantastic speed/magic growth, but... seriously. Like 18 HP and 5 speed and 0 defense start in the hardest part of the game=fuck no. Staves are awesome enough in FE10 that it is worth the hassle, but augh.

Why not invest that in a offensively useful character though? I never use BEXP on healers -- they already do their healing thing without it, and combat units improve in ways that actually matter.

Mist and Laura were both worth dumping BEXP so they could get promotions. Mist in particular needs that horse to not be completely awful.

Sothe(10): 8/10. He's useful up until the end of part 3, then falls off the face off the earth. That Beast Killer gives him much needed offense in 3-6, and that auto A with Miciah is always useful.
Heather: 3/10- Filler. 
Rhys(10): 4/10- Found him better than his FE9 form. Staves kick ass in FE10 and he can get supports up to speed fast, which he needs for defense. 
Oliver: Didn't get.
Volke(10): Didn't get. Probably would get a low score, as you have a lot of competition for endgame and Sothe's already forced.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:57:40 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
the fact that Gobi is completely worthless outside of 2 fights (Morteo and Pincher) means that he should never be in the front. 

And that is infinitely more fights that Gobi is useful over the number of fights Mogu is useful. 
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2010, 05:41:38 PM »
L'Arachel: 4/10. PROJECT HEALER! The good news for L'Arachel is that she grows well and her bases are very good for her level. Meaning you can quick promote her and not suffer huge penalties. Being able to support the lords is icing on the cake.

Considering that you could likely get away with promoting Lute super early if you really want a mounted healer and not suffer too much for it, it's *really* hard for me to care about L'Archy's OMG super special awesome growths, considering she joins in the hardest part in the game and good bases aren't saving her from being 2HKO'd by any enemy worth a damn half the time.  But you know, if people think she's worth the effort, fine, I'm not going to argue, I just needed to get this off my chest.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »

Mist and Laura were both worth dumping BEXP so they could get promotions. Mist in particular needs that horse to not be completely awful.

I think this is a case of different playstyles. If I feel that the healer can not be hit by things, I heal first and then advance the line. I just don't see why I care if the healer has shitty stats.

I also disagree with Random completely, but I have someone sitting five inches from me typing a response to him, so I will just be lazy and wait for that~
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:19:59 PM by Ciato »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »
Considering that you could likely get away with promoting Lute super early if you really want a mounted healer and not suffer too much for it, it's *really* hard for me to care about L'Archy's OMG super special awesome growths, considering she joins in the hardest part in the game and good bases aren't saving her from being 2HKO'd by any enemy worth a damn half the time.  But you know, if people think she's worth the effort, fine, I'm not going to argue, I just needed to get this off my chest.

Well, nobody is arguing that L'Arachel is as good as Lute, and anyway I want Lute to be a kill machine, not a healer. Fast-promoting Natasha for your mounted healer is a better argument, I think, but even then I'm pretty sure she's going to lose out on stats in a fairly big way long-term? Would need to look things up granted. Regardless, L'Arachel is certainly competetive with such a build. Yes, she may be 2HKOed by most enemies (which I'll take over earlygame Moulder's ability to randomly be OHKOed but ymmv), but y'know, as discussion currently in chat is alluding to, many more recent FE healers are 2HKOed or even OHKOed. Healers shouldn't really be attacked too much anyway so their durability isn't as bad as it would be on a combat unit. On the other hand Move is pretty much the most important stat a healer can have (besides staff level, depending on what you have available) and L'Arachel provides it. I don't think she's great because she does have problems but she's at least okay.

Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2010, 06:57:42 PM »
Again, if people think she's worth the effort, I'm not going to argue.  I, however, do not see the sense in bothering at all, all things considered.  Underlevelled unit + slow to get to even an early promotion due to crap Exp gains = go away and let me use a unit that fits my biases better to me, that's all.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »
Just to make things clear, I DO think L'Arachel has problems. You'll see that she's not exactly breaking a 5 from what I ranked her. I'm not trying to mock you Random with the ALL CAPS because I agree that she IS a project healer. On the other hand, I find that she has some merit to be used because typically I want Lute to kill things, not sit back and play a healer role. Natasha can also probably so something similar with the quick promoting, but you'll see that I ranked her higher than L'Arachel. I'll admit that there probably is some bias (I never found her too difficult to raise up) but she does have problems which I acknowledge.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 30, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
Honestly, L'Arachel at base level isn't even especially different than the other two healers. Looking at the numbers I compiled to make the FE8 equal exp topic (which does fit with my own memories of playing the game nicely, note that it -does- assume no tower/skirmishes but whatever), at the time L'Arachel joins, Moulder should be Level 9-10 and Natasha should be Level 6-7. Rounding those up and comparing!

Level 10 Moulder: Need 17 atk to 2HKO, 7 magic, 12 speed, 2 luck, 7 res, 5 move
Level 7 Natasha: Need 14 atk to 2HKO, 6 magic, 10 speed, 10 luck, 9 res, 5 move
Level 3 L'Arachel: Need 14 atk to 2HKO, 6 magic, 10 speed, 12 luck, 8 res, 6 move

She's basically dead even with Natasha outside +1 move, and while it takes 3 less attack to 2HKO her than Moulder, she doesn't need to worry about crits due to lulz 2 luck so I'm more willing to expose her to single hits. Honestly aside from staff level I'm starting to think I've underrated her, though I dunno how I feel about the fact that she lacks the Bishop option and would need to digest just how much that lower staff level matters.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2010, 03:12:19 AM »
Breath of Fire:
Ryu: 8.5/10.  Yeah, Boomerang Death God for 90% of the game, has Dragons for 70% of it!
Nina: 8/10.  Her only flaw is iffy on damage, but honestly, BoF1 item casting is so hax, this isn't that much of a flaw.
Sr-1: 4/10. Clearly the inferior of the two, but he's still a warmbody who does actual damage.
Sr-2: 5/10.  Sr-1 but better in like everyway!
Sr-3: DNR. Joins for like 3 rooms, and there's a very good chance you won't even get into a single random encounter during this section.
Bo: 4/10.  Adequate Physical damage for randoms when he joins and your best Boss Slayer until Ryu gets dragons, manages to stay good for a little while longer, but then becomes incredibly obsolete for the entire 2nd half of the game.
Karn: 7.5/10.  Awesome speed and a really strong weapon (IcyDr) are available for him immediately, so his pre-fusion Moments aren't as bad as you'd think.  Then he gets fusions, and kicks ass; you never have a reason to not use Shin or Puka (I'd say Doof, but having Doof means you have access to Puka, whose better in everyway.)
Gobi: 1.5/10.  He does a good job against PincherX, and if gotten enough levels somehow, he's good against Morteo as well!  Two fights, whoo?  He'd be good in the Underwater Volcano, but being required for Shin makes you not bother using him.
Ox: 3.5/10.  He makes a good 4th PC right after he joins since why not, and has some extra healing worth.  Also an option to use over Nina or something against Random Encounters until you get Puka.  So basically, its a similar case to Bo, only he's not as good during this section.
Deis: 8.5/10.  Yeah, overpowered; cannon with massive speed and good HP due to the absurd level up speed, and even has good defense too cause BoF1 is weird in giving THE TWO FEMALE MAGES better equips than everyone sans Ryu.
Mogu: 0.5/10.  There's literally one moment you might use him, and its during that short stint where Nina is absent, and frankly, its possible using downgrading to Shin for fusions and using Ox may be better than Mogu.  I'd give him points for the Initiative 100% Run...except Deis has 100% Run too *AND* her speed is so high, it might as well be initiative, AND she has a lot more AP to do it with, so even for a niche use like that, he's worthless.  Oh yeah, did you know he's statistically inferior to Gobi outside of speed?

Ellen: 2/10.  Healer when you have none! ...for like 5 minutes.  Really bad after that point.
Chad: 5/10.  He pulls his weight before promotions start mattering, and still has thief utilities after.  Yeah, average works.
Clarine: 6/10.  Iffy offense, but moblie healer and awesome evade make for a half decent unit.
Saul: 4/10.  Ellen except has actual stats in areas like Speed.  Think he also joins at a level higher than what she's likely to be at that point to boot.  Still has no offense before promotion, and can't take hits to save his life, and after promotion, his offense is still kind of bad if he's not hurling Aureola...which takes time t learn.
Astol: 5/10.  Chad whose probably got the level edge, but worse supports and joins later...yeah, screw it, same rating.  Its also viable to use both characters cause there are big maps with lots of treasures, where using 2 thieves can come in handy.
Cath: 0.5/10.  Three thieves, however, no.  The half point is quite literally if you need an emergency thief should Astol *AND* Chad both die.  Otherwise, she joins waay underleveled, never amounts to ANYTHING useful, and her thief utility purposes are taken up by *2* far superior PCs.  To make matters worse, killing her and thus making recruiting her impossible can make your life EASIER, due to how she functions.  That's really fucking sad.
Cecilia: 3/10.  Uses Anima Magic, and is mounted, so she's not completely awful.  She's still a good example of how FE6 Prepromos suck though.
Yodel: 4/10.  Works if you want a healer for the last few maps who requires 0 training, but that's all he can do.  Coming with the best staff in the game and having full usage of it is pretty nice too.

Serra: 3/10.  Only healer for Lyn mode, and first healer in Eliwood/Hector Mode, but she's a pretty uninspiring long term unit.
Matthew: 6/10.  Basically Chad/Astol, only can actually do combat late game due to potential promotion.
Lucius: 6/10.  Why I never respected Erk.  Lucius does all the same stuff Erk does at the same time, but better, and come the final chapter, he's another person wielding a big awesome Legendary Weapon (Aureola.)  His high res makes the whole "Loses to anima mages" a complete joke of a WTA to boot.
Priscilla: 5/10.  High move healer, and gets Anima magic upon promotion which is somewhat better than Light magic.
Legault: 5.5/10.  Overall better stats than Matthew, but joins later, and I don't think their differences were big enough to matter, so yeah, lower rating.  I think Matthew may have had better supports too.
Jaffar: 4/10.  Workable filler unit if you need one, but not much else.
Renault: 2/10.  He's Yodel, except people like Pent exist who can do the Use Staves Awesomely thing just as effectively in addition to OTHER things like offense, let alone Athos joins very shortly after. 

Moulder: 4/10.  The usual early game healer who isn't very good, except Bishop Class is pretty rocking in this game, so its worth an extra point.
Colm: 7/10.  FE Thieving at its finest; covers his bases well, has a quick good support with another solid unit, and the utilities come in handy.  The fact that he doesn't lose those utilities upon promotion doesn't hurt either.
Artur: 5/10.  Felt like Lucius-, and has to compete with Lute like instantly, so the Erk issue kicks in.  FLIPSIDE, he can still become Bishop which makes him awesome in the final stretch of the game.
Natasha: 6/10.  Why Moulder isn't that useful; Natasha has most of the same advantages, and has stats in other significant areas.
L'Arachel: 4/10.  She's good, and can be promoted early and still have good stats, but eh, still felt like she wasn't quite worth it.
Rennac: 3.5/10.  Good second thief if you need one, not much else.

Rhys(9): 2.5/10.  "First Healer in the game" thing, only this time Bishop is NOT around, and his liability is even greater, due to dying anytime a Myrmidon looks at him funny.
Volke(9): 6/10.  He's functionally your only thief.  On paper, he should be higher, but oh god do knives suck.  He's still a good evasion tank however.
Sothe(9): 2/10.  Works as a second thief for the desert and...if Volke dies...but really, never anytime else.  Joins underleveled, late and can't promote.  Its like Cath all over again...except he's a free recruit, won't steal your objects, and there's only one other guy he's competing with, not two.

Laura: 4/10.  She's Rhys all over again, compounded issues...but being your ONLY HEALER during Part 1 makes her rather crucial, and she really helps out a lot in Part 3 as well, allowing flexibility with Micaiah.  Not particularly useful come part 4 though.
Sothe(10): 7/10.  Good unit in Part 1 (which really needs him) and Part 3, starts to trail off in Part 4.  Thief uses don't hurt either.
Heather: 4/10. Sothe but with far less combat worth, not only due to being worse (especially in strength) but cause she's in teams that need her a lot less.
Rhys(10): 4/10.  Dunno, but he felt better here.
Oliver: 2/10.  Worthless unless you really need a Tier 3 Healer in Endgame besides Micaiah :(
Volke(10): 4/10.  He'd be higher, but docking him a point for sharing a weapon with another forced PC who does NOT have a unique weapon, making the use of him require you nerf one of the two in terms of their blessed weapon.  Additionally, he just joins way too freaking late to really merit being much higher.  He's good for what he is, but there's just too much against him to really get much higher.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »
Colm: 8/10.

Is that all you have to say Elf?  I don't know if we can be friends anymore.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 10, 2010, 02:01:59 AM »
Breath of Fire:
Ryu: 8.33
Nina: 7.84
Sr-1: N/A
Sr-2: N/A
Sr-3: N/A
Bo: 4.56
Karn: 7.94
Gobi: 2.00
Ox: 4.00
Deis: 8.28
Mogu: 1.50

Ellen: 2.71
Chad: 5.25
Clarine: 7.51
Saul: 4.38
Astol: 4.19
Cath: 2.00
Cecilia: 2.18
Yodel: 2.86

Serra: 5.22
Matthew: 5.71
Lucius: 6.91
Priscilla: 6.57
Legault: 4.98
Jaffar: 4.21
Renault: 2.58

Moulder: 4.29
Colm: 7.69
Artur: 5.96
Natasha: 5.70
L'Arachel: 5.57
Rennac: 3.46

Rhys(9): 4.83
Volke(9): 6.29
Sothe(9): 2.08

Laura: 4.89
Sothe(10): 7.21
Heather: 3.96
Rhys(10): 3.06
Oliver: 2.71
Volke(10): 5.11

Best Rating of this Session: Ryu w/ 8.33
Worst Rating of this Session: Mogu w/ 1.50
Sr-1 and Sr-2 got DNR'd due to lack of required votes, Sr-3 got DNR'd for usual "people don't want to rate him" reasons.

As a reminder, if someone has less than 5 votes, they are not having a rating; you need to have a minimum of 5 votes to be accepted.

With that said, WE HAVE FINISHED FE!!!!

Congrats to Haar of FE10 for having the highest rating of that 5 game absurdly high number cast.  And everyone, please mock Karla of FE7 for having the single LOWEST rating of the crew!  I refuse to do it game by game; if someone else wants pick out who has the highest and lowest of each game, by all means!

Top 10 Ratings:
1. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
2. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
3. Haar (FE10) 9.17
4. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
5. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
6. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
7. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
8. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
9. Tana (FE8) 8.73
10t. Claude Kenni (SO2) 8.63
10t. Nailah (FE10) 8.63

Top 10 Failures:
1. Karla (FE7) 0.77
2. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
3. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
4. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
5. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
6. Garret (FE6) 1.36
7. Mogu (BoF) 1.50
8. Noel Chandler (SO2) 1.55
9. Klein (FE6) 1.64
10t. Merlinus (FE6) 1.75
10t. Fiona (FE6) 1.75

Now that we're done with FE, we'll be doing ONE game this session, but its a reasonably large cast, so I figure it'll work:

Valkyrie Profile (Lenneth):
Lenneth Valkyrie:
Arngrim:
Lawfer:
Jelanda:
Freya:
Belenus:
Llewellyn:

Janus:
Nanami:
Yumei:
Jun:
Kashell:
Aelia:
Lorenta:
Mystina:
Lucian:

Jayle:
Badrach:
Shiho:
Suo:
Grey:
Lyseria:
Gandar:
Lezard Valeth:
Brahms:

NOTE: Unlike Lunar, VP:L is effectively the same game for these intents and purposes as the original VP.  As a result, voting on the PSP version here is completely legit.  Yes, there are subtle changes, but its more like SoA vs. SoAL; the net difference is too small to really care.

NOTE 2: Spaces are only made for the sake of making this easier to read; I figure having breaks would make things easier than just a HUGE LIST OF NAMES and what not.

As usual, note mistakes and what not.  Note that this time, I'm not being anal about the order of which characters join (especially since the game is slightly randomized in this regard), I did it based on loose memory.  I more care about having everyone up there.  If I missed someone, please just note it, and feel free to make a "Write-in" if you want (I'll add them to the list when I notice it <_<)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:39:17 PM by Meeplelard »