Author Topic: 2023 Gaming in Review  (Read 647 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
2023 Gaming in Review
« on: January 01, 2024, 02:59:10 AM »
A good time for one and all!

Previous Years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: 2023 Gaming in Review
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 03:01:25 AM »
15. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (PSP, 2009)

I imagine if I actually liked traditional dungeon crawlers this would be a fascinating one.  Like, as much as the systems here are pretty archaic even polished up for the PSP version, you can do some funny stuff.  But it's also a game where you have like two dungeons per boss and every boss except the final boss is a pushover as long as you have any kind of resources.
I mean maybe that's unfair, I was probably pretty powerful because I am shameless with guides and such, but in general that's just not really what I look for in my rpgs y'know? 
Mostly though I realized when I started on it that it was the oldest game on my pile of games (or at least, the PS1 version was)  and like... wow.  That's pretty neat.

14. Sonic CD Anniversary Edition (2011, as part of Sonic Origins (Switch, 2020))

So I just never played Sonic CD back in the day, nor when Sonic Collections were originally a thing (Sonic being among the first to really do that) since Sonic CD was kinda in its own second collection with all the other Also Rans.  And of course who had a Sega CD.  So I thought heck, why not.
I didn't really get very thorough with it, I'm pretty bad at the UFO chase special stages, but with the updated mechanics it's certainly a pleasant enough diversion.  It it interesting that the bosses are more set pieces than boss fights, which didn't really catch on at the time in the series but would get more prominent later.  So nice to see the historical context there.

13. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (2003, as part of Baten Kaitos I+II HD Remaster (Switch, 2023))

As best as I can remember, I got this as a review copy back in the day, played what ended up being about a third of the way into the game, and stopped because I was daunted by having to rebuild my entire deck.  Now, I ended up just straight up turning on Gameplay Skip here, because I was more interested in just seeing how the game wrapped up rather than getting the Full Experience.
Honestly as a game it really shows a lot of its flaws more readily when you aren't in the thick of it.  The areas in the game are actually pretty tiny, which makes sense because this thing really went all out on the prerendered backgrounds that were common in the PS1 era but phased out by the time BK came out, and the detail and beauty of those things would have been hard to do massive sprawling environments with.  But because of that, they also made the enemy density *nuts* and required a lot of backtracking both within dungeons and between story beats in order to achieve a proper 'size' for the scope of story they were telling.  Like once you're not micromanaging your deck you realize this game is padded to fuck. 
There's a pretty lengthy segment where you have to remember where all the macguffins were to retrieve your party and like, I'm here playing this game on fast forward, that was about 3 gameplay hours ago, and I still forgot most of them and ran around everywhere.  And that's not even counting that if you do them in the wrong order and aren't cheating it's a nightmare because the GAME assumes you did them in a specific order and escalates the boss fights based on that assumption.  It's just a deeply weird design choice for any reason except purely wanting ot make the game longer and space out the big plot twists more.
I do really, really like the ending though.  Like, the bad guys spend all game reviving this dead malevolent god and you get there and... thing thing's been frankenstein'd together, even if it's mostly the original deal it's been locked away for a thousand years, it just.  Does not care anymore.  It's suffered enough.  I just really enjoy that note of melancholy, and it's probably my favorite execution of that sorta thing I've seen from Kato (did you know that the scenario writer for Baten Kaitos was Masato Kato, best known for Chrono Chross?  It's obvious once you know!)
So yeah, it was another ancient game from the pile and it's cool to have it done, and to just... see how that kinda neat but very slow game I played back on gamecube turned out.

12. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (DS, 2010)

I still remember being so mad Nintendo opted out of localizing this.  Still am a little, despite finding the game just okay.  For starters this would have been easier to appreciate circa 2011.  But yeah, I do this this works for what it is, a way of taking the original Marth and his Marth Plot and digging into what Marth has to be to make that work in the long term.  Lotta really silly retcons have to happen to make that happen but once they get there I do appreciate that, relative to when the original came out... yeah, I see why FE3 succeeded in ways the games before and after it didn't really.
I think the only other FE game to reward just using your jeigans as much as this one is Fates?  Like this game is just completely unafraid to hand you a promoted unit who is better than your trained units, and the biggest exception is easily fixable statwise.  Or maybe I just find it funny to let Char keep running around I dunno.
I will say I wish they gave more to Caeda, she wasn't half as funny in this one as she is in Shadow Dragon, but otherwise yeah, I do get it.

11. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation (3DS, 2016)

Revelation is weird because I can look at the skeleton of this plot and say "yeah this makes sense, I like this as a third route, it feels like a proper culmination of the game" but also they make so many decisions that are in the vein of the FFVIII Orphanage Scene: I see why you did this but there were several other, better options to get there that would have raised fewer questions.   And honestly the map gimmicks were... a lot!
But despite that I do find myself thinking more fondly of it than New Mystery?  Fates, for its flaws, is deeply earnest, and there's a lot of deep tragedy in this game that's compelling even if it never quite gets to breathe as much as I'd like. 

10. Sonic Superstars (PS4, 2023)

I like the stages in this a lot, the odd wonky physics aside, but a lot of the bosses are a big whiff.  They have a good sense of weight and speed, and there's a lot of fun pieces.  A few bullshit stages here and there but honestly less than, say, Sonic 2.  Overall feels like a definite advance from what they were doing in Sonic Mania on that front.
I didn't quite beat it honestly becuase the final boss is just... kinda bullshit?  I hate that there's no checkpoint of any kind between the two stages of it because the end of that second fight has an instant death trap that's easy to be out of position to dodge, like you can just be be-motion and not able to get enough speed to outrun the pit in one part, it's terrible.  But before that point I was having a good time.

9. Super Robot Wars V (Switch, 2017)

Probably the overall weakest SRW I've played, but still does SRW things.  In part it's just that, having played it after X, T, and 30, the rougher translation and missing a few mechanics that were implemented in those games stood out.  It also just had somewhat weak implementation of the series I knew well, and it kinda put the series I wasn't as familiar with on route splits I ended up not taking.  You can miss an awful lot of FMP in particular.
But gosh it's fun to get to those maps where the Yamato is at full power.

8. Rhapsody II: Ballad of the Little Princess (as part of Marl Kingdom Chronicles, Switch, 2023)

The songs are a little better distributed than in the original, but nothing really hits as hard as Cherie's song.  Now in most other respects this is just a better game, using puppets basically like WA3 mediums makes for more interesting gaming than just having puppets to juggle, you have more variety to your abilities and such, and the different systems work better together, but it still feels like it kinda loses what makes it distinct in the final stretch.  The use of cut and paste dungeons is really obvious and distracting and there's definitely segments that exist just to stretch out the game.
I'm also not entirely sure why they felt the need to repeat the overall story beats of pining after some guy when you already have Crea right there, but maybe the third game figures out its mistake to some degree.

7. The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog (Steam, 2023)

Delightful shitpost of a game.  Like this is something that you can do in an afternoon and it's basically free and yeah, it's just a neat little thing.  You wander around as an Original Character Do Not Steal, hang out with the Sonic cast during Amy's birthday, which Amy set up as a murder mystery, except oh no shenanigans!  And it's just fun to hang out with these dorks and watch them be dorks.  Shadow especially is wonderfully Tsundere.

6. Fire Emblem Engage (Switch, 2023)

Engage is a good game that's frustrating because I feel like it could have been a great game.  Some of the issues actually WERE helped, but even if you can get supports at a decent rate now it's hard not to see the ways this game could have really shined with just a few alterations. 
And that is somewhat unfair because there is plenty of good game here.  The investment in giving maps a variety of goals, balancing gimmicks with core map layout, and having side objectives frequently is something that's felt light in the series for a long time.  The Emblems are fun even if I think they're a little too overcentralizing, and the way the game grants and restricts access to them is well handled.  I really really like chapters 10/11 and 24, they strike a great balance of creating tension in both story and map design. 
But also the focus on found family really falters with the weird choices they make with the villains and not investing enough in Alear and Veyle's relationship and attributing parts of it to their blood relation.  I feel bad always having to undercut the compliments I give the thing but it really just stands out to me more how mixed it was despite my overall high opinion.

5. Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line (Switch, 2023)

To an extent this does just make me miss Curtain Call, I found the stylus controls a lot easier to work with and I still just don't have the knack of certain techniques with the button configuration the game uses.  But gosh there's been so much good FF music since Curtain call came out!  The series mode is kinda whatever, but if I was a bit more practiced at button controlled the overall difficulty options and expanded song roster are definitely big boons.  It's really very much Theatrhythm, but More.

4. Persona 5 Strikers (Switch, 2021)

So I'm gonna lead off with: I do think Persona 5 is, overall, stronger.  I like jRPGs, I think P5 investing in dungeon design made it one of the best of this era I've played.
But it's wild the degree to which the vibe of this game is "What if we made Persona 5, but this time we picked a tone at the start and stayed at about that level the whole game.  Also Haru is allowed to exist."  Seriously there is just a great deal of 'Persona 5 Redo' to this game, it arrives at almost the same final boss through a different route, it's going for a lighter tone so it presents its villains as victims more than stand-ins for societal evil but fundamentally their presentation and the structure of how you do the dungeons is the same, it's Persona 5, but streamlined.  So that's cool.
Because of the way they blended Musou with the more deliberate dungeons of P5 and the attempt to give it the vibe of playing in the press turn system, there's some stuff you can do that just kinda turns into win buttons, at least on Easy.  It turns the game into more of a resource management system, which exists in P5 but there it's more about how much time in terms of the game calendar you're willing to spend, whereas this is more about managing resources within a fight or between save points (which just kinda let you retreat then go back in).  Honestly I rarely thought to do it as much as I should have, just because... it's Persona, you gotta do the dungeon in one segment!
Also like.  It's a reasonable length.  That's nice!  I miss games that had those.

3. Devil May Cry 5 (PS4, 2019)

This is my favorite of these and it's not super close.  Normally in a DMC-type game I hit a point where I'm violently reminded I'm bad at these games and the way you're 'supposed' to play doesn't click for me or I just don't really have the dexterity to reliably execute the gameplay.  While I am still bad at DMC, I kept finding that any time I felt a bit off in combat, like I didn't like the way I was moving, I could just pop into the skill shop and oh, hey, there it is, the thing I was missing!  I do think that yeah, if you're here with a little more in-depth knowledge of the series then V must be a pain in the ass to play through because he's kinda.  Nerfed.  On purpose.  But still, the overall vibe feels great and I do think that, in part, just getting to play a very focused game like this that's still modern despite it's exactly-like-the-old-days chapter structure helps it stand out.  They don't make games like this very often and that's a shame!

2. Final Fanasy VII Remake (PS4, 2020)

I still, STILL see people just... so fucking angry about this game and I just want to smack them.  "They promised the original game but with modern graphics" fuck all the way off.  Like I respect the idea of "hey it kinda sucks we got basically a third of a game" a bit, even if from a gameplay perspective I do think FFVIIr is a fairly compete experience, like yeah even allowing for the inflation of development effort and timesink that modern gaming causes relative to the PS1 era they really just don't get THAT far into things.  And while many of the additions to feel like making the game feel more rounded and adding texture to the story and characters, there's some just pure padding here.  Some of it isn't bad, but it's padding.
But god, the vitriol some people bring to this is infuriating at times because there's a lot of love and stuff to love in this game.  I suppose if this is your first exposure to FFVII you might not get to believe in the lie Cloud is telling himself quite as long, but since this is a sequel it's cool to see them spend the extra time digging into just how much of a tryhard nerd Cloud is.  They definitely updated Barret's character a fair bit, but I like this Barret a lot more.  This game supports AerTi, a thing that just is not true of FFVII!
But yeah there's just so much care and craft in this game and I'll see shit like "Nomura should be put on a LIST for what he did to FFVIIr", I kinda want them to go more off the rails just to spite those people because god knows they will be completely unable to go 'ah this is not what I wanted' and just ignore the further games.

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure (Switch, 2023)

Crossbell is, overall, the strongest arc of Trails, partly for its stronger focus, partly because it's only two games, partly because both games feel complete but with material to build on later.  But what stands out in Azure in specific is how well they're able to pay off the prior game, and how much all the intricate plotting is just a nice bonus because what we're here for is for our heroes going from a determined scrappy bunch here to save their daughter to outright righteous anger as they realize how much absolute bullshit the villain gang has been feeding said daughter, and how their entire plan hinges on making a little girl the sole savior of the world while they shunt all the responsibility and reap all the rewards.
I dunno I feel bad not having more superlatives here.  I just like games of this vintage, of this style, and they rarely make them quite this well.  There's better games from its original vintage (c 2011) but not many, and most of those lacked the sense of place Crossbell has.  Sometimes I worry that looking more at late-translations and remakes is a bad sign in some ways.  Then again I do have like a hundred video games to play.  Maybe I should worry less.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 04:27:09 PM »
New games I played this year:

Super Mario Bros.: Lost Levels - 1986, Famicom

Let’s not play. This game is absolutely terrible. So bad that they decided not to bring it over to North America after its original release and instead released ‘Super Mario USA’. The fundamental problem? The game basically just expects you to be psychic, requiring you to hit very obscure secret blocks in order to fulfill its challenge. It feels like it was designed by someone who decided the SMB1 was too accessible and easy, and made a game that would make you throw your controller out the window. It is Bad. Do not play it.

Why did I play it in 2023? Because I am very smart

Super Mario Wonder - 2023, Switch

Ooof. I did a full series replay before I played this game, and honestly the game is just lackluster in terms of its stage design, difficulty, and its powerups are nothing to write home about compared to previous games. Honestly I kinda forgot I even played it like two months later, and only remembered the next day after I was compiling a list of things I played this year.

The game obviously has a lot of love put into it. The animations are crisp, the music is nice (although the sounds are kinda weird), and I love that you can play as a diverse set of characters and the story isn’t just rehashed ‘save the princess’.

But Mario is a gameplay game and its stage design and powerups are the draw, and Wonder does not deliver.

Advance Wars 1: ReBoot Camp - 2023, Switch (original game 2001 for GBA)

Advance Wars 2: ReBoot Camp - 2023, Switch (original game 2003 for GBA)

These two are basically the same game. They feature the core mechanic of generic units, buildable units from a base, and minimal, rudimentary plot. The maps vary from “cool and interesting” to “holy shit these is way too long and grindy for an obvious outcome. The generals’ powers are fun but only a few really push into interesting.

2 gets the nod over 1 by virtue of having more playable characters and being more on the side of good maps rather than long and grindy, but not enough to move the needle all that much.

I’m not sure how much the reboots changed from the original games, since I never played them.

Dark Deity - 2022, Switch (original game 2021 for PC)

I dove into a variety of different SRPGs this year. Dark Deity models itself pretty directly off of GBA Fire Emblem, with a few major twists that make it different.

1. Dark Deity features more branching promotions and skills accompanying these promotions. Obviously FE8 started this but Dark Deity’s potential setups are much more elaborate.
2. It has a huge amount of supports available and allows you to build them by being in battle with the two characters, rather than the incredibly clunky GBA system where you have to have characters stand side-by-side in order to support.
3. While I don't think the game fully succeeds at its goal to create a compelling storyline, I do think that the game has some attempt to write a real plot as opposed to Advance Wars 1/2 which basically don’t.

My biggest beefs with the game is that a) the game’s balance doesn’t really keep up with your power level, and often combinations of the really good abilities can just overwhelm entire maps, b) the game’s writing, while there is a lot of it, most of it is pretty paint-by-numbers, and c) there are a lot of weird bugs and glitches that happen, especially the targeting which seems to be quite buggy.

It’s not as good as FE7/8, let alone later games in the series which improve on the FE formula, but it’s an interesting game and worth playing if you are invested in FE as a series.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2, 2004

Honestly, Metal Gear Solid 3 would be a great game if I didn’t have to, you know, play it.

I hate stealth games. I hate sections in games that require stealth and pretty much always try to bash through any stealth sections if bashing through is a possiblity. So MGS3 is objectively a terrible game for me to play because it’s basically all stealth.

It’s an incredibly interesting game writing-wise. The first hour and the last hour are both absolutely show-stopping, very good, well-plotted, great plot twists. Unfortunately, the game does suffer from the important question of “When The Boss isn’t on screen, everyone should be asking, “Where is The Boss?” She’s a show stopper. A crazy, magnificient bastard. The cringe miniboss squad who can barely muster a gimmick, the incredibly gross General guy, get these bitches out of my face. Where is the Boss???

She is sensational. I love her. Her monologue at the beginning of the game when the other characters are explaining basic gameplay functions, while she’s explaining the nature of betrayal and the fleeting vision of ideology. Beautiful. 10/10. Chef’s kiss.

I like the main character as well. He’s fun and super socially awkward! The ending with him is very neat. Ocelot is funny once you realize he’s a total fucking ham. The comic chaaracter in the game that actually works!

The rest of the characters? Thumbs down honestly. The general guy is so generic and the quirky miniboss squad is just super lame. Eva is a very weird character but not a huge fan.

I can see why people like this game, but it’s very not for me.

Pokémon Scarlet - 2022, Switch

Pokemon Scarlet is probably the game on this list that I have the most trouble placing a ordinal ranking or score to, since I have pretty complex feelings on it.

Let’s get the elephant in the room out of the way; the game’s performance is total dogshit and the fact that it shipped in its unfinished state is totally wild. It really feels like it needed another six months or a year in the oven.

Past that, i think the game does quite a lot right. Nemona is an incredibly cute and endearing character, and I think having the rival be a mentor who is also just super nerdy about Pokemon is fun twist on the whole concept. It has a lot of other endearing characters too — the cute Eevee-stan Penny, the ever-loveable old man yaoi duo in Brassius and Hassel, and the delightful Rhimes. The cast is definitely my favorite in the series (admittedly a pretty low bar.) And Clive/Clavell got a few laughs out of me with his ridiculousness. The plot is silly but it’s Pokemon so whatever.

I enjoyed the idea of doing three different types of missions, rather than the rinse and repeat fighting Gym leaders thing that the old games do. I thought all three types of challenges were pretty fun, although I do think that the non-linear nature of the game means that you might potentially do things in a totally wacky order, which means that some things you will encounter will be unusually difficult and others quite easy. I ended up doing a small amount of FAQing just to have a guide about the levels of each challenge, and I felt like that was a good decision to increase my enjoyment of the game. I disapprove of this on general principle though.

One thing I really like about Scarlet is the availability of Pokemon which were often rare or hard to get in some earlier games. The Eevelutions, for example, you can catch in the field, which is a great change. Giving players access to a large amount of Pokemon without insane degrees of effort really suits my playstyle well, since I am old and too lazy to both with jumping through hoops to get a Pokemon. I also liked having prizes for fighting Trainers rather than making it required, so you could customize the length of your game reasonably well.

I thought that the Elite Four and the Champion and the rival fight afterwards were all quite enjoyable and kept me on my toes. I felt like it was in a good place challenge-wise and generally was quite happy with that portion of the game. The game after that… is honestly a little wacky. I still enjoyed the final dungeon and the banter between the characters but I felt like the balance was a little off in terms of encounters there.

I feel like the game scratched my Pokemon itch for a while. Fun game, lots of really fun content, but I don’t really feel the need to revisit or play its DLC.

Mario + Rabbids: The Sparks of Hope - 2022, Switch

Sliding in finishing this the last two days of December! After playing the first Mario + Rabbids game a few years ago and being very impressed with it, I decided to pick up its sequel.

One thing that I think sequels can suffer from is feeling too derivative and not branching out enough. I don’t think this problem applies to Rabbids  - it feels like it adds enough ripples to the battle system that the game feels distinct from its predecessor. The freer movement system, the Dash system being revamped so you can repeatedly attack the same enemy, the Team Jump mechanic having a real-time aspect, and the Sparks as equippable party resources all feel like features that make the battles feel different than the first game’s.

The quality of life improvement of both allowing Mario to be removed from the party and also just allowing us access to more characters earlier in the game. It also doesn’t have incredibly late joinining PCs like Yoshi, or dysfunctional ones like Rabbid Yoshi. The worst offender is in the other direction — not sure what they were thinking with Rabbid Rosalina, who seems like the clear gameplay designer pet character with the multitarget Stop move and the gatling gun attack that easily destroys cover. But the playable characters do all feel distinct, and you get to play as Bowser in the this game!

Now, is Rabbids 2 a better game than 1 overall? That’s a different question altogether. I felt that the game is less tactical than 1, even on the highest difficulty. It’s strange that they added a Hard mode and then made it easier than the first game’s Normal mode, although it’s not that dramatic. Much like the first game, it has maps with variable goals, which is a personal favorite thing of mine, but 2’s feel a little more trivial to fulfill. I’m a little sad that the Toad rescue missions haven’t returned, for all that they can be rather infuriating. I think the extra movement freedom makes the game slower, which is a negative in my book, and the map design isn’t as crisp or well-thought out as the first game.

Its plot is still what you’d expect from a Mario and Rabbids crossover — mostly filler, frequently humorous, and periodically cringe.

The game is still fundamentally enjoyable. It’s still tactical and engaging and has cool maps. I don’t think it quite lives up to the first game but the first game is one of my favorite SRPGs for gameplay of all time, so that’s not really an insult. The game is merely ‘pretty good’, rather than great. And I respect that it doesn’t feel like it is just the same game as the first.

Fire Emblem: Engage - 2023, Switch

Rise from a thousand years ago!

If Rabbids breaks away from its predecessor by implementing minor mechanical changes on top of a core base idea, Fire Embem: Engage radically departs from the previous game, with a mix of fresh and innovative gameplay ideas with the Emblem and Ring equipment system, and harkening back to yesteryear with its simple good vs. evil plotlines. You know my opinion on the predecessor so we can just skip to the point that I like it less, which is the most predictable thing of all time.

Much like Rabbids 2, I started the game on the highest difficulty. Unlike Rabbids 2, the game’s maps feel plotted with a great degree of intention. Each map feels like you as the player have to put a lot of thought into the strategy that you need to employ to win. There are a few maps that fall flat (Chapter 22), but overall I think the game has a lot of engaging maps that keep you on your toes without feeling grindy or excessively difficult. The Rewind mechanic (whatever it is called in this iteration) is always a great boon and sets it above old games in the series. I think the map design is stellar, second only to Conquest in the series.

The Emblems have an interesting warping effect on the gameplay, in that the characters with Emblems feel much more powerful than their allies, which for me is something that I dislike since I like characters to have roughly the same powers and to be able to be compared to each other. I think making the non-Emblem rings give great stat bonuses (and please not ran by gacha!!!). I also think that Canter and Canter+ are overcentralizing abilities and the characters that you can grab those for early are at a great advantage.

The character balance of the game is interesting. It feels like most of the Part 2 joining characters are just more powerful than the ones who join early in the game. Alfred is terrible, Diamant is mid, and Ivy and Hortensia kinda own your mages/healers from Part 1. It’s a bit of a baffling choice. One notable exception is that if you can grab Canter on someone before Chapter 11, it is great to do so and it makes that character better! When I used Clanne that’s what I ended up doing, and while he’s not an amazing PC, at least he can move two squares after acting for longer than other people! Hooray.

Only having two skills slots is definitely a bummer in this system, particularly because Canter will realistically occupy one of them since it’s both very powerful to change position after attacking, and also because it’s a fun ability to use compared to Speed +5 or whatever.

The plot is pretty dreadful. It veers beyond the Mario + Rabbids territory of irreverrence and unseriousness into “wow, this game takes itself 100% seriously and yet I do not understand how anyone could deliver something so cringe with a straight face.” It has a few good characters; I like Ivy and Citrinne and Yunaka pretty well, I think Fogado and Timerra are very endearing, but honestly I don’t think even Ivy really compares to the best characters in old games. The supports are boring and tropey. The Emblem introduction scenes actually make me want to crawl in a hole. “Shine on, Emblem of Beginnings”. Please just, put me out of my misery.

The character designs are hit and miss. Citrinne slaps, but I can’t say I’m into Pepsi-chan.

The game is pretty good despite the plot being a disaster. The second time through was better because I pressed the sceneskip button liberally.

at this point i kinda got tired of writing so....

Theatrhythm - Final Bar Line - 2023, Switch

It’s the same old Theatrhythm. I’m not even sure the game is worth putting on this list, considering that it’s basically the same as the other two games but has some extra characters and new songs. But I paid full price for it, goddammit, and played entirely too many hours of it, so here it goes. Final Fantasy music still rules face.

This Way Madness Lies - 2023, Switch

Next up is a game that was made in a test tube to make me specifically happy. It’s a game where all the playable characters are women, men barely exist, there are silly Shakespeare references, and all the characters dress in brightly colored themed outfits.

The premise is quite fun and the story, while nothing to write home about, moves the game along quite nicely.

The gameplay is very fun! The game manages to balance out the abilities and make the battle system that Zeboyd has been iterating on for the past several games to feel fresh and endearing. The characters all feel distinct from each other and each feels fun to play as. It’s about 10 hours long, which I think is a good length for the style of game. The enemies on the higher difficulties are both quite challenging and you have to be deliberate and thoughtful about how you fight against them. I really like the ‘Trait’ system, where you can choose abilities to use, balancing out the skill(s) that it buffs (sometimes they buff status attack, sometimes ice attack, sometimes they make a specific skill better) with the stats that it gives.

I would say my two biggest complaints are the fact that they got rid of the turn gauge (very weird, considering that CSC had it), and the fact that statuses are hard to see from the ally side. I think it is not as informative as it could be and the game suffers from that.

Otherwise, the game is a delightful romp! I played the NG+ on the highest difficulty as well and it was quite challenging. Very fun game. Would recommend.

Bravely Default 2 - 2021, Switch

If you like job systems games, this one is a banger! Thery took the same basic format of the previous games (the Brave and Default systems allowing you to adjust your turn order, job system), and added each character getting a turn as they come rather than traditional turn-based combat. I definitely think that it makes the game better than the previous two games because the gameplay is more dynamic and you can respond to threats more readily.

The skill system is dynamic and fun to combine with other skills. The game’s class balance isn’t perfect but many of the jobs are quite fun to use and experiment with. I played on Hard mode which challenges you to utilize your resources in the best ways possible. I really liked it!

The plot is serviceable. I like Elvis and think he’s a total riot. Everyone else I could take or leave, but the plot doesn’t really shit itself or anything.

Graphics are definitely nicer than the previous two games, but I’d still prefer to see them upgrade to a more modern style.

Metroid Dread - 2021, Switch

Metroid Dread combines all the things that make Metroid good (exploration, cool upgrades, well-designed bosses) and avoids the pitfalls (weird misfire bosses, too much grinding). It’s a great game — not too short, not to long — and it is really just throughly enjoyable to play from start to finish. I really enjoyed the Chozo Solider fights and the final boss slaps. The game’s plot is pretty mid, but who cares, it’s a romp. Maybe one day Metroid will have good plot, but I wouldn’t count on it. The game also looks quite nice for what it is, which obviously is not super fancy but very stylish!

Love this game!!!! If you like Metroidvanias, it’s the best I’ve ever played!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 04:31:17 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 02:34:44 PM »
Final Fantasy 16
...Just a disappointment in every way possible. This game is Not For Me. The story is equally bland and relying on a whole set of tropes that hold no appeal for me. Sorry, guys, I just don't think every named female character needs attempted sexual assault in their backstory.
The graphics are pretty though. I like the Summon designs.

Touhou Genso Wanderer
I really wanted to play something RPG-ish in the Touhou series. But pure roguelikes are just too tedious for me. I want some party variety at the very least, but it's locked to one character option for the entire main story mode.

...and that's it for "Bad Games" I played this year. Everything else was some flavor of enjoyable!

Fire Emblem Engage
A gameplay game and nothing else. Well, I suppose it's also good for ironic enjoyment? I really can't think of anything nicer to say about its story and that's sad.
Amazingly addictive gameplay though. Despite all the games I played this year, including a new Disgaea, this game had my highest playtime, so it must be doing something right?

EDIT: Whoops, forgot some!
Labyrinth of Touhou 2
I played a bit of this due to the small craze sweeping the DL at the time. The Dungeon exploration is far too tedious for me, but I love the Character Progression systems and just how varied all the characters' skill sets are. The star of this show is how the battle system utilizes party-switching as such a fundamental part of the process. If you aren't switching characters in and out constantly, you aren't beating that big boss. Unfinished, but the game's plot seems to largely be an excuse to let the Touhou girls be funny to eachother. I like that, but I'm not quite engaged enough with it to plow through more tedious dungeon-crawling (it's just not my thing).

Touhou Fantasy Maiden Wars 1
Now THIS is my more speed! A Touhou SRPG based off of SRW. I have never liked SRW, but it turns out that replacing all the cold metal exoskeletons with lively mythological demons does a lot to make it more enjoyable! Not to give all the credit to the aesthetic, the way this game adapts Touhou's bullet hell aspects into SRPG terrain effect patterns is genius. The game is pretty difficult, at least for a relative SRW neophyte like myself, so it was a great challenge. Perhaps too hard in the later chapters? It took me 4x as long to get through the last two chapters as the rest of the game combined. I haven't beaten the special 3rd route that unlocks after you beat the game twice, but I'm tempted to, and that should say a lot.
The story itself is a great remix of the main plots of several of the mainline Touhou games, and honestly? I think it does a better job telling those stories than ZUN did. The writing is snappier and the lore is less vague and characters actually have like... arcs. I am definitely gonna give the next game in this fan series a go!

This Way Madness Lies
A-grade turn-based gameplay and a delightful collection of characters having a good time. Zeboyd at its best. Please give me Magical Girl Cthulhu Shakespeare 2, Zeboyd!

Rhapsody 2 + 3
Played these in quick succession. Similar sort of lighthearted vibe as This Way Madness Lies, with a heavy focus on caring about the inner lives of female characters. I agree with CK that the game should have just let Kururu and Crea be in love, but the male love interest Cello was a decent character in his own right. He comes into his own even more in Rhapsody 3.
Rhapsody 3 in general is just a huge step up in terms of challenge and experimental storytelling structure, basically doing a Live-A-Live/Octopath kind of setup, except it explores various points in the timelines of the previous games and then brings it all together for a very Disgaea-like 'postgame'/final chapter with ridiculous levels and grinding options.
The musical numbers are a nice touch, really bringing something unique to an already pretty-unique take on the JRPG genre.

Star Ocean 6
Haven't finished this yet, but it's been a treat so far. Easily the best-written Star Ocean narrative, not that this is... particularly hard. Destroys SO5 in all respects, feels pretty similar to SO3/4 in terms of gameplay, though I don't know if it will overstay its welcome since I haven't finished yet.

Octopath Traveller 2
Haven't finished yet, but I've been playing it alongside SO6 and the two games bounce off of eachother well in terms of alternating tones and gameplay styles.
I love everything about these Octopath games, and the second game is really delivering. Agnea and Ochette are kinda lackluster stories so far, but nothing terrible. I am looking forward to basically everything this studio makes at this point.

Chained Echoes
I figured Octopath 2 would be my favorite traditional turn-based JRPG this year, but Chained Echoes just hits every note I want from an RPG in terms of exploration, battle system, character skill design, and most of all - world-building and character arcs. It stumbles in places for being a little too tryhard, but it feels more emotionally raw as a result. I appreciate something with this kind of tone shooting for higher heights.

Labyrinth of Galleria
Speaking of raw, this is the game that made me cry the most this year, and possibly of any year. Galleria's gameplay is not my favorite thing ever, but it has a lot of great bits, and for a story as impactful as this one, that's all it needs. It has a lot of dark elements, but it lands well and remains respectful and hopeful for its key characters in the end. NIS can write serious narratives very well when it tries.

Vampire Survivors
This completely inane and pointless game shocked the hell out of me. Somehow I found a game that I enjoy for the pure kinetic gameplay of it all without really caring about the narrative. It's just addictive and well-balanced in a way that similar action games haven't hooked me with.
The very humorous monster gallery write ups are also a nice bonus and the reason why I picked the game up in the first place. The fact that it ended up being the least impressive part of the game to me is shocking.

Disgaea 7
Well obviously. But even for a Disgaea entry, D7 stands out as a great SRPG and hits hard both emotionally and with its humor. I would gush about Disgaea, but I suspect everyone has heard what I have to say about the franchise at this point.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 02:06:19 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 07:10:52 PM »
I got really into reading in late 2021 / 2022.  Then I got a new job in late 2022 and have been busy with both that & reading random stuff, so...  yeah, gaming has definitely fallen off, although I've made room for the occasional Civ5 game and such.

Notable incompletes:
* Slay the Princess.  I played the demo very deeply, getting all the achievements, but the main game doesn't carry over demo progress, and the first two routes I picked that went beyond where you could get in the demo were kinda underwhelmingly nonexistent.  Maybe just bad luck?  I loved the demo, though.  Good sense of humor.
* Paradise Killer.  I was told this was a nice bite-sized snack of a mystery.  I'm sure it is, but they stuck their mystery in a big ol' Unreal Engine indie island to walk around that is Too Big.  I would have liked this game so much more if you just had Phoenix Wright style navigation where you pick a location you wanna go and you're there.  Instead you're stumbling around cliffsides playing an exciting game of pick up the glowy items for currency?  I deeply do not care about that game, I want to get back to the interrogation and mystery-solving.  The island is just too big, with tons of empty apartments.  Even with the little heads-up display theoretically saying where a character I could talk to was, it took, no lie, over 15 minutes to actually FIND the way to them, and not in a charming Zelda / puzzle style, but a frustrating "I don't get how this map connects" style.  And oh yes, there is some teleporting on the island, but not to people, but rather places; then they CHARGE you a non-renewable resource that is also your currency for other semi-required plot coupons to do this teleportation.  What were you thinking, devs?!  Why?!  Why!  Stop trying to prevent me from playing the actually interesting part of your game by making me play a crappy collect-a-thon!

Good (7/10)

3. The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog (PC, 2023)

Make no mistake, this is a very high 7, considering it's totally free.  Just hard for games that are like 90 minutes long at most without particularly deep gameplay to score super-high.  But just...  insanely charming and cool, with a hilarious script, and I'm not even remotely a Sonic plot expert.  Mad respect for just asking the player straight-up who killed Sonic with giving you just enough to figure it out, but not directly hinting you from NPC dialogue before it's time to come to the conclusion.  Makes you feel like a proper detective.

Great (8/10)

2. Fire Emblem Engage (Switch, 2023)

Complicated feelings here.  The FE game closest to Engage in some ways is Fates of all things, which makes sense as it was done by a similar team at Intelligent Systems (I believe?), and I had complicated feelings there, too. Like Fates, it has some really deep and interesting gameplay that combines letting you the player do really, really powerful things, while also making the enemies a legitimate threat, yet without falling back on "I have bigger stat numbers booga booga" too much.  It results in some really deep, rewarding gameplay that lets you feel like a badass when you pull off something cool. 

Also like Fates, the world building is just completely garbage.  The world of both Fates & Engage barely exists; it's cardboard cutouts in the background, and it doesn't feel like the characters are influenced by it or came from any recognizable milieu.  I'm not saying FE6/7 or FE10/11 were perfect, but both Elibe (if you read the obscura support conversations) and Tellius feel substantially more "lived in" rather than being a backdrop that produces cute anime nobles.  Fates, to its credit, at least has some interesting characters, even if the world they live in is either nonsense or underspecified or contradictory.  But Engage has a few engaging enough characters, they just aren't given much to work with.  The few characters that Engage genuinely tries with - Alear & their enemies (no, really, Veyle / The Four Hounds / Sombron have more plot than Alfred / Diamant / Ivy / Timerra) - mostly don't get a very interesting version of their plot.  And that's ignoring all the slack plotting and plot holes and such.  The game doesn't even work great as a fun romp of an adventure, which is what they were theoretically going for.  It's bizarre that the designers said they were going back to the GBA games with this, because freaking Eliwood vs. Nergal has a deeper and more serious plot than Engage, and this is not a compliment to FE7!  Sigh.

There are a few decent moments, although they'd be just 1 good moment of many in a game like Chrono Trigger - the C5-C7 stretch with the Firene castle / Anna / Yunaka / Alcryst maps are actually fine.  Everything afterward is mostly downhill. 

Okay, I still liked the game.  In particular, speeding up the Somniel vs. the Monastery was badly needed.  The graphics & character designs grew on me with time.  And I already praised the gameplay above, right?  So still recommended.  Just woof on the plot & characters.

Excellent (9/10)

1. Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Steam, 2021)

I ranked this back in 2021, and here we are again, after I finished it off.  It was indeed pretty great!  Maybe the best of the Ace Attorney series, shockingly enough.  The second case of the second half (Case 7 overall?) drags and is just repeating plot beats from the first case, which is why I took a long break, although I get the budget is limited.  But Cases 8, 9, and 10 are really friggin' good.  There's one or two nonsensical plot twists, and as usual, a few more red-herring characters would have been nice (but budget for animation is tight, I get it), but it's great.  Play it!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 01:07:33 AM »
I've put the games in order as a thought exercise but I really want to emphasize: the seven games I've played this year are not far from being in a seven-way tie. They probably run from a high 7/10 to a high 8/10 in my sccoring system.

7. Octopath Traveler 2 (Switch, Square Enix, 2023)

Easily the best game I've ranked last in one of these year-end reviews. Did you want to play more Octopath Traveler 1? Because that's pretty much what this is. You follow the stories of eight characters, four women and four men, each representing an archetypical Final Fantasy class (the same eight as the previous game), the stories largely not intersecting until a brief endgame which ties them all together. In battle you hit enemy weaknesses to break them for a turn, stunning them and allowing you to do big damage with a stored resource called BP.

Fortunately the core Octopath gameplay remains fun, and the increase of unique skills for each character, including a limit-break-like "latent power" unique to each PC, is welcome. The game takes a while to hit its stride, but the later boss fights are definitely quite enjoyable.

Writing's a bit of a mixed bag. Some stories are quite good, some are meh. It's not really a game I'd recommend primarily for writing but there's some at least moderately interesting stuff there. Music is pretty great. The artstyle isn't very good IMO (the combination of no character portraits and the zoomed-out sprites make many cutscenes feel lifeless) but it's unique I guess.

I'm not sure. In some way when I look back on it, I don't think this game is THAT good but I certainly had a good time playing it.

6. Chained Echoes (Switch, Matthias Linda, 2022)

Chained Echoes reminds me a bit of a Zeboyd game, in that its Chrono Trigger-esque pixel art could trick you into thinking it's backwards-looking, but it actually has a neat and unique combat system. Core to the experience of Chained Echoes is the overdrive gauge, a party-wide gauge you want to keep in a "sweet spot"; you're rewarded with lower ability costs if you do and get punished by taking extra damage if you don't. Some abilities raise the gauge, and some lower it, and which does which can change with the flow of the battle. Characters have interesting skillsets and there's in-battle party switching so "what should I do with my turn" tends to be a fun exercise which rewards thinking ahead and planning. It's a lot of fun!

On the writing front, the game's... okay? The English of the game isn't the best and while the story has its moments, it also has some awkward bits too. The game tries, which I appreciate (it's trying to be Xenogears more than Chrono Trigger), but overall it's not a game I'd recommend for this alone.

The pixel art is wonderful if that's your thing.

5. Stray Gods (Switch, Summerfall, 2023)

Stray Gods is a delightful little game. I'd liken it to a single-case Ace Attorney game: there's a murder mystery to solve, and of course, the protagonist has been accused of the crime and is guilty until proven innocent. Which makes a bit more sense in this world than in Ace Attorney-land, because your accusers are the Gods of Greek mythology, who have survived in secret to the present day. Also there is lots and lots of singing.

The game's a fun romp. Puzzling out the motivations of these immortal beings, as informed by the rich backstory the game paints for them, is definitely enjoyable. The characters are well-done

Even compared to other similar games, it's not really a gameplay game... the biggest thing is you can control the directions songs take and while that's definitely fun for roleplaying reasons (and certainly your decisions during the songs can influence a bunch of stuff in the game), it's not really a pass/fail type of experience. So in it is less a game and more of an interactive musical murder mystery.

And there's only so high I want to rate that. But for what it was, I definitely enjoyed it a lot.

4. This Way Madness Lies (Switch, Zeboyd, 2022)

Zeboyd hits another one out of the park. Like Cthulhu Saves Christmas it's a game with well-balanced battles and a neat system. The story of magical girl Shakespeare nerds is endearing and amusing (not winning any awards for serious plot, but that's not really what it's going for) and it turns out that yes, I am here for Zeboyd giving their opinions on Shakespeare plays.

Mostly it's a gameplay game above all. Compared to Cthulhu Saves Christmas I liked that it had more PCs and party choice. You get to choose all seven abilities again, and there's enough updates and particularly a constant influx of new traits (passives) which keep things interesting. As ever, Zeboyd games do a good balance of making you want to win quickly as enemies power up, and making status ailments a very effective part of your gameplan.

A good time. I enjoyed it enough to play it through twice, including once on New Game Plus, which is not something I do in games very often!

3. Into the Breach (Switch, Subset Games, 2018)

I was a bit skeptical about this game. It's a SRPG, but one which eschews pretty much any writing. (You are defending a timeline from aliens. There are many timelines, each playthrough represents a different one. That's about it all there is to say.) So I get to answer the question, would I enjoy almost non-existent story/characters? Turns out, yes.

It's an addictive little game because each playthrough can be a bit different - you can play as many different squads, get different upgrades even if you use the same one, etc. And yet battles just feel very fundamentally fair, at least on the difficulties I played (normal and hard). Enemy moves are telegraphed at the start of each round, so each round involves you planning on how to mitigate the damage they'll deal, both to your units and to the cities you are protecting. It's very fun because your toolkit, while limited (most units will have at most two "weapons"), includes many options that move things around: your allies, enemies, etc. So it's often very fun to puzzle out ways to use your three turns, your interesting action options, and the environment to win.

Playthroughs are short but the game is highly replayable and intended as such. I played it a lot! It's good.

2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch, Nintendo, 2017)

Speaking of games I was skeptical of, let's talk about Zelda.

I've joked about this before: before this, the most recent mainline Zelda game I played all the way through was made before the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's a big series in the mind of gamers, yet for the most part it doesn't really appeal to me.

Does Breath of the Wild change that? Not entirely. I can't say I'm jumping up and down to play more open-world games and I'm certainly not interested in doing some big full-series Zelda playthrough. Yet Breath of the Wild is unquestionably extremely good at what it does.

It's surely the best game I've ever played evoking the feeling of exploring a world. The environments are beautiful and varied, from deserts to snowy mountains to everything in between. The game constantly rewards you for this exploration, with finding new temples (which give both loot and health/stamina upgrades). Enemies can be remarkably dangerous and the game gives you many, many ways to deal with them, both through combat and avoidance. The world is post-apocalpytic but still beautiful and hopeful.

Ultimately I don't think it does amazing work in the categories I play games for. The story which you piece together from memories is a relatively simple one, the action gameplay is better than I expected but not really the selling point either. But it's extremely good at what it does.

1. Fire Emblem Engage (Switch, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, 2023)

Goodness, what an oddball of a game.

Let's get the obvious out of the way: this is a modern Fire Emblem, and pretty much every modern Fire Emblem has stellar gameplay. This one is no exception. Is it quite as good as Fates or Three Houses? Maybe not, but that's a high bar, and I appreciate the things the game tried to do differently (the emblems and the options they give; weapon triangle and its break effects) as well as the Fates-like strong map design combined with the lack of annoying Fire Emblem habits like ambush spawns. It's certainly an all-time great game for gameplay as far as I'm concerned.

It's also an immensely frustrating game. After Three Houses delivered both a thought-provoking story which asks the player to think about when conflict is justified in the face of oppressive systems, and some of the most outstanding characters I've ever seen, perhaps it's not surprising that the followup game couldn't be as good, but I wasn't expecting the degree to which they didn't even try! I even understand that the game is going for something simpler and lighter, but honestly it's not very good at telling a light story anyway. The cast has some decent moments and there are some supports in there I like, but I can't say I'm surprised that this game is clearly falling short of not just 3H, but Awakening and Fates as well, when it comes to the volume of fan content being created.

I ended up placing it in the top spot this year — I did play it for around 175 hours, more than any other new game this year by a lot (3H replays still beat it out, though) — but in the decade-plus we've been doing this, it's probably the top-ranking game I feel the most conflicted about. Certainly it's one where if I see someone give it a harsh review, I tend to shrug and say "yep, fair". It's a good game, certainly. But I really wish it was better.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 06:02:50 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.