Register

Author Topic: 2019 games in review  (Read 1701 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
2019 games in review
« on: December 31, 2019, 04:33:44 AM »
I'll continue the tradition of posting this thread.  The decade comes to a close!  What games did you play in 2019 and why did they include Fire Emblem Three Houses?!

Previous years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 games in review
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
Kingdom Hearts 3:
Greatly disappointed by this game. I've been moving very slowly through it. It's still unfinished. I'm completing the Pirates stage at this point, but there is a level of overly saccharine dialogue and idiocy that offends me more. The writing is just bullshit and the stages are poorly designed with too few save points. On the other hand, the Gummi ship game that I quickly and savagely abhorred is now the game's highlight for me? I actually hate this game.

Nier Automata:
Thanks for putting me on this, Ran. Chat's witnessed my Nier rants. I love this game beyond words. I'll write more at another time. It's definitely in my top five, unseating something like Xenoblade.

Hollow Knight:
This is a great platformer! I have some issues that might be addressed in the second installment. More on a couple stages later.

Shadow of the Colossus:
For PS4. I'm sorry, I have not played such a boring game since Dragon Quest although I know they're incomparable. At some point in my adult life where I don't feel guilty for wandering unrewarded for hours, I'll pick this back up and give it another try.

Neo Cab:
I just picked this game up a week ago, and it feels like it was made explicitly for liberal feminist anticapitalist older millenials whose stock in technological developments has a much healthier dose of skepticism and fear than younger people. I'm currently at a point where someone important reappears; and I think it's becoming easier to follow the path of the annoyed female driver that I am trying always to embody. No fear of the Feel Grid!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 04:14:49 PM »
Only played one new game of note this year which was Octopath Traveler. That was a very good game on the gameplay front and a disaster on plot and characters.

Games of the decade! As I hit a bunch of milestones this decade. I moved to a new area, have a decent career, got married, etc. It meant less time for games, and less access and time for console games. My titles and interest reflect this, though the relative lack of JRPGs on consoles would mean any list of games is going to lean towards PC games by default. 

1. Orcs Must Die 1 & 2

Why it's good: It offers everything I want in a game. The gameplay has a ton of variety and challenge levels; it's endlessly replayble thanks to different viable strategies working on each map. You can charge ahead with your warmage and smash things, or hang back and let traps and guardians do the heavy lifting. The writing is is hilarious and sharp, and it doesn't waste time on filler. The first game was excellent but the second is better, as it has much more depth and offers multiplayer mode to spice things up.

Like every game on this list, it has DLC that vastly improves the experience. OMD's DLC doesn't offer any new story, but it does give you new traps and a lot of few new maps to play with. I had negative feelings towards DLC at the start of the decade, but the games on this list changed my mind to some extent on it.

I'm very excited for OMD3, even if I'm not inclined to buy a really bad looking console just to play it.

2. Civilization 5

Why it's good: Sim city with a dash of warmongering. If you've played it you know why the game is good, and why it is so endlessly replayable. The modding tools are top notch in this game which is a strong selling point.  You can create custom maps and civs and even completely change the game's mechanics. It's very shiny.

3. XCOM2

Why it's good: AAA game that has a fantastic setting (We lost the alien invasion) and writing, but that isn't the selling point. The selling point is the combat, which manages to be hard without being overly punishing.  Class balance is good, there are a ton mission types and the DLC for the game is great. I strongly recommend getting all the DLC if you buy the game; the Alien Hunter DLC gives you rulers and some great backstory for Bradford and Shen. The Chosen DLC is great as well. It made a lot of quality of life improvements, added three new classes and gave you a new foil/gameplay wrinkle in the chosen and lost missions.  Like Civ, the modding tools are outstanding and help to dramatically increase the replay value.

XCOM somehow makes a silent main/avatar character work well, as Bradford/Tygan/Shen are strong enough characters to carry everything.

4. Defense Grid 1 & 2

Why it's good: Classic tower defense that rewards tight resource management. I love the fast forward/rewind feature; it means you don't have to restart if you make a mistake. There's not tons of character work (one game story) but it's still enjoyable enough for that. The AI is flipping hilarious as well.

5. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Why it's good: Castlevania Mugen is so much fun. The drop system's bonked and it's super grindy, but you get six player castlevania! This is an above average game that leaps into greatness with the team aspect.

Honorable mention to Tales of Graces for best JRPG release of the decade. I played JRPGs I liked more in FM5 and FF4 TAY, but they were released in the aughts. Honorable mention also goes to Europa Universalis 4. It is an excellent game, but it didn't hook me the way other titles on this list did. 
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
Games I replayed this year:

Fire Emblem Fates: Lunatic Revelation, finishing off all the Lunatic runs of the game.
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle: Strategy RPGs are great; did the full aftergame this time.
Shantae and the Pirates's Curse: Felt like revisiting this enjoyable little romp, finally beat all forms of the final boss without any items.
Super Mario Bros. 2: Always a fun childhood classic to revisit.
Suikoden 1, 2, and 3: As part of my line-counting project.

New games:

Not rated for this year is Deltarune; it was fun (particularly Susie and Lancer) but definitely too incomplete to rank this year.

On with the show!

9. Wargroove (Switch, Chucklefish, 2019)

Wargroove is enjoyable and despite the fact that I've put it last this year, is certainly a game I'd recommend fans of the genre give a spin. It's an update / love letter to the Advance Wars games, which I'd watched a little of but never played, and you can see that Intelligent Systems goodness at the core of the game's simple but strong gameplay.

Core to the game's design is the idea that a unit's power is directly proportional to their remaining health. This means that even though the game enemy phase counterattacks, they are reined in by the fact that the unit which strikes first gets to make their attack at full power, which is an interesting shift to the paradigm seeing in games like Fire Emblem. It also makes matchup advantages/disadvantages more important than ever: so important that letting one of your units fall victim to a bad matchup will often be devastating. You largely get to choose which units to build in any given battle, and coming up with the right mix to counter the enemy army is pretty fun.

The actual fights themselves are a bit inconsistent, varying wildly in difficulty and how well-thought out they are. The lack of permanentaly togglable enemy threat ranges (which Fire Emblem has now had for over a decade) is pretty frustrating, especially with how important even one bad encounter can be to a fight. And fog of war is somehow even more terrible in this system than in Fire Emblem.

I have nothing to say about the game not related to gameplay.

Rating: 5.5/10

8. Vandal Hearts II (Playstation, Konami, 1999)

The oldest game I played this year definitely exceeded my expectations. I played the first Vandal Hearts nearly two decades ago, and... to be honest, it's game I consider quite mediocre, doing nothing to really stand out. Its sequel, though, is quite a bit better.

Much like Wargroove, VH2 brings in a unique conceit which I, at least, hadn't seen in a strategy RPG before. In this case, the conceit is that whenever you move one of your units, an enemy unit moves simultaneously, with neither of you knowing what the other is going to do. If one of you attacks the square where the opponent who moved was, then that attack will miss.

What makes this fun is that the enemy behaves in fundamentally predictable ways. (The game explicitly tells you some and encourages you to learn the rest.) Very little is more satisfying than anticipating which enemy will move, then moving your unit they will target around the back of where their attacker is going to be and attacking them. But even when you can't pull that off, the different setup for a SRPG makes for a unique and fun experience. Battle design is solid enough, not exceptional, but generally fun, outside of the very small number of battles against solo monster bosses who don't work well in the system at all.

In terms of writing, the game certainly does much better than Wargroove. While not an exceptional game in this front, it's interesting enough, mostly in that Joshua is just refreshing as a main character compared to so many bland modern self-inserts or hero-worshipped mains; he has a personality, he's allowed to make mistakes, and he isn't lionized. The plot is relatively interesting though sadly the main villains are kinda nonsensical and ruin a lot of the good points the game could have had.

It's the oldest game I played this year and has some clunkiness to match with loading times and menus but eh it could be worse. Not a great game aesthetically either. Still, overall very solid.

Rating: 6.5/10

7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch, Nintendo, 2018)

It's more Smash Bros. In fact, more than any previous game in the series, it feels extremely similar to the previous game.

Not that this is a terrible thing. Smash 4 already had solid overall mechanics and a great roster, so there wasn't too much they could do to improve, short of reworks to the core controls which I definitely want but I've long since accepted most other players don't care about much. They did provide a vastly expanded and actually kinda fun one-player mode which is both reasonably challenging (on its highest difficulty) and a beautiful love-letter to gaming in general, although when you compare it as a single-player experience to the other good action games I've played this year it's obviously going to come up short.

I am a bit disappointed with the roster expansions, though. Smash 4 positively spoiled me with Mega Man, Palutena, Cloud, Bayonetta, etc., so this game was almost destined to not live up to that. Maybe the last DLC wave will add someone from a certain game which appears much higher on this list...!

Overall it's a game I had a good time with, and continue to enjoy from a distance (many of my students are huge fans, and I like watching the joy they get from the game), and certainly think is objectively good, but it didn't ultimately do as much for me personally as quite a few other games this year.

Rating: 7/10

6. Code Vein (Playstation 4, Bandai Namco, 2019)

Everyone compares this game to Dark Souls and that's fair enough; they certainly have more than a fair bit in common. Post-apocalyptic setting, limited healing items that recharge at recovery points and take time to use mid-battle, auto-saving game in which you lose your exp if you die without reaching the point where you previously died, tough but fair boss fights. I have an awkward relationship with Dark Souls; I played it, finished it, liked some aspects and didn't like others, and have never had much desire to play any of its sequels. Still, I quite liked Code Vein.

Code Vein shines in the same places Dark Souls does; those boss fights are a fun challenge to overcome. Vein's are overall even better; they're very consistently tough (I died to literally every real boss), and feel varied in how you approach them in terms of blocking vs dodging vs just avoiding, and in all cases are a lot of fun to learn. Dungeon sections where you overcome randoms while searching for the next recovery point are fun too, and the environments are pretty solid overall. You get multiple weapons, spells, etc., and different "classes" which let you approach things differently, and I appreciate that you can switch between them readily so I didn't feel like I had to replay the game just to try other setups.

In terms of writing, well, it exists! A major issue I had with Dark Souls is I felt totally uninvested in the world and its people; this game at least manages to make me care. None of the characters are all-time greats but they engaged me in learning about them and helping them make the world a better place. The game tells most of its stories through flashbacks which is an interesting enough way to do things given the setting. I definitely don't have unalloyed praise for the writing or anywhere close; the final confrontation is pretty half-baked in particular and it doesn't feel super-deep elsewhere, but it's serviceable.

It's the first game on this list that I'm pretty confident I'll replay at some point, so there's that. Watching my wife play Devil May Cry 4 also convinced me that this game is the better one, and that's pretty good praise for a 3D action game.

Rating: 7.5/10

5. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GameCube, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, 2004)

I've played quite a few Mario RPGs before this; it's perhaps no surprise that the Intelligent Systems-made Nintendo 64 title Paper Mario had my favourite gameplay of the bunch. Unfortunately it was probably the weakest one for writing, with the trademark zany Mario RPG writing feeling positively restrained. The Thousand-Year Door had a simple mission: combine Paper Mario's gameplay with better humour/writing, and it delivers.

The gameplay is pretty much the first game's with some slight re-imagining. Returning is the tightly balanced, low-damage scale game in which your two PCs face off against enemies in phase-based combat, with timed hits playing a role but the game feeling remarkably tactical anyway. The main difference is now both PCs have health bars, and you can force melee enemies to target one of them by having them act first, which increases the decisions, as does the ability to switch out the partner character (Mario is always present). Badges are even more significant in this game than the last, with many that directly raise damage (with the game's low damage scale and the importance of eliminating randoms fast, this is a big deal). The game lends itself to challenge runs very easily, but even at base it's quite solid and puts up enough of a fight to hold my interest.

The writing? It's not something I'd precisely play the game for, and still don't think it reaches the level of Bowser's Inside Story for my favourite version of zany Mario RPG writing, but it gets the job done, mostly when it does some completely off-the-wall things now and then. Highlights include some non-standard game overs, a self-styled perfect computer which may have an unhealthy crush, and Bowser (like in every other Mario RPG).

My main compaint about the game is that its pacing could definitely be better: gameplay-light sections tend to necessarily become a bit dull (zany writing can only carry the game so far otherwise) and movement feels slower than it should be. Would be nice if the music were better too, I suppose. Still, a good game for sure.

4. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Nintendo 3DS, Chunsoft, 2012)

It's difficult to talk about why this game is good without spoilers but here we go.

Virtue's Last Reward is a fascinating game about an iterated prisoner's dilemma (a situation in which two people in separate rooms have the choice to ally with each other or betray, where the best result for the individual occurs with ally but the best result for the overall group occurs with betray). Obviously, given the setup, choice is a big part of the game, and as a result there are many branching storylines. The way the game is structured, you are strongly encouraged to see all the branches, and only from combining information from them are you able to truly learn the truth of the game's mysteries and what makes the game's characters tick.

It's a sequel to Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors which I played last year, but there's little doubt in my mind that Virtue's Last Reward is the stronger game overall. The plot is ambitious as hell and goes to some crazy places, but it's remarkable how consistent and well-thought out it is, and how well it hangs together. As I discovered twist after twist to the plot, I was impressed, rather than feeling cheated, and it was a very fun game to speculate about what was going on as they game steadily gave out more information. And characters are one place the game steps up; a bunch of them are downright fascinating. They run the full spectrum of morality and are generally really good. The game's voice acting is absolutely brilliant too, which goes a long way.

It's not a game for gameplay unfortunately; the gameplay consists of solving puzzles in various rooms as you seek a way out of each one. The puzzles vary in quality from reasonably fun to... somewhat less than that, and overall aren't why I was playing the game. I wouldn't quite wish them away because they keep your brain working (a plus for experiencing the game's writing) and really they needed something to break up the revelations, but I can't help but think about how much I would love this game if the gameplay were actually outright good.

Compared to say, Tales of Berseria last year (another game whose writing I loved and gameplay I didn't care for), I find myself preferring the Tales game, and I think it's because, as fun as VLR is (and it is a lot of fun!), I don't think the game is quite as good at saying things. But damned if it's not a highly compelling piece of yarn anyway. Difficult to compare with the other games I played this year, but it probably goes here.

3. Mega Man 11 (Switch, Capcom, 2018)

Hard to believe it's been nearly a decade since the previous Mega Man game. The last time there was a decade-long gap, between 8 and 9, the series went back to its roots by delivering as a (high-quality, to be sure) NES-style platformer which took most over Mega Man 2. MM10 came along a couple years later and mostly tried to do the same thing, though not as well. This time, after the gap, Mega Man has modernized a bit, with nice sprite graphics which look right at home on modern consoles, and some new innovations to the mechanics while retaining the core of what makes Mega Man so gosh-darn good.

Obviously, it's Mega Man. That means eight deviously tough levels (each with a distinct theme and feel), eight fun bosses, and eight weapons they give you, the use of which is key to making the rest of the game easier after you're able to finally start clearing levels. The core gameplay is recognizable and as fun as ever; levels and bosses are both solidly-designed, and the weapons are a lot of fun, definitely back to the tier of "powerful, but the game is designed around that power" which is generally what produces the best games in the series.

New to the formula are the speed and power gears, short-term powerups with cooldown time you can access at will. Power gear is fine, your weapons get stronger (though each one in different ways, so it's interesting enough) but speed gear is the game-warper. The early version of it just slows down everything, already very useful for precision platforming, but the later version allows you to maintain your own full speed and is downright cheesy, though again, the game shows enough teeth to make it worth it, and when and how to use it remains fun.

I don't have too much to say about it on a writing front; it's Mega Man (the return of cheesy voice acting is appreciated). But it does most Mega Man things really well. Definitely a game I want to spend more time with before making a definitive rating, but it's in the upper half of the series for sure.

Rating: 8/10

2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch, 505 Games, 2019)

I played this game right on the heels of Code Vein, and despite their genre differences I was struck but how alike they are in terms of their appeal to me. Both games feature tough bosses which you are expected to learn the individual patterns of to succeed, and between that both games feature gameplay where you're an exploring an environment, fighting off challenges, and trying to find the next save point so you can regroup and recover.

That I rate Bloodstained higher mainly comes down to two things. The first is my inherent preference for Metroidvanias; on top of the great action, Bloodstained provides a fun interation on the formula of being able to explore steadily more and more of the environment as you get new powerups from bosses. (The powerups also lend themselves to direct combat use well, very cleverly so in the case of the lategame gravity-alteration and short-range teleportation powerups.)

The second advantage is just how beautifully fluid the platforming action is. It's hard to believe this is an iteration of the same series I long criticised for feeling clunky and unfun to control (a problem even the backwards-looking Curse of the Moon shared). I can't think of a platformer where I've made more extensive use of the backdash and attack lag canceling; by the end of the game I felt amazingly skilled at it (even though I definitely wasn't) just because of how wonderfully it controlled. The best boss fights felt like some sort of dance, just a real joy to experience.

I suppose another advantage I should mention that helps secures this game's place as the best action game I've played this year is that its music is quite solid; nothing ground-breaking but likely the overall best game I've played for that this year (it's that or the game listed next).

Like most Castlevania games the plot really isn't very good, and like most of them there's at least one point where I had to look up a guide in order to advance, but those are expected and ultimately not that large complaints. There's a bunch of RPGish elements like quests and more items and skills than I can be be bothered to keep track of, but again, this is mostly harmless. I should also mention that I played the Switch version, which was quite messy upon release and even when I played it was far from perfect (long load times, occasional lag if rarely at times it mattered, inferior graphics), so... it says something that I liked the game as much as I did.

By all rights this should be the best game I played this year. It was almost the best game I've played in the last three years, and is the best 2D platformer I've played since at least the game's spiritual predecessor, Order of Ecclesia. But, well...

Rating: 9/10

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, 2019)

I first played a Fire Emblem game fifteen years ago and it was love at first sight. The games have long delivered incredible gameplay: simple yet tactical, tightly balanced games which wear their mechanics on their sleeves, all wrapped in a package of delightfully-designed characters. Three Houses is very recognizably Fire Emblem, but it's a far more complete experience than any before.

Let's start with the gameplay. Three Houses isn't the best game in the series for this, but that mostly reflects how ridiculously good Conquest was (a game which, to this day, probably has my favourite video game gameplay of all time). It's in the conversation for second though, and with a series this good at gameplay, that's a fine plcae to be. As usual, it's a phase-based game of small-scale strategy RPG battles in which information is displayed openly and where a single unit's death is something to be avoided (although as with the previous four games, the option to play without permanent death is there if you really want). The open information is taken to a new level in this one as the game now displays which enemies are planning to attack which PCs (and you can see this being updated in real time as you move the cursor when planning how to move your units on your own phase), definitely a welcome addition. Combat arts (each character can equip up to three at once) allow characters to do things besides just choosing a weapon (either attacks with special properties like boosted accuracy/damage/range or status, or repositioning moves), which is a nice boost to your options without creating overwhelming complexity. And the skill/class system is the most robust its ever been; you can train characters in different skills and use that to unlock new classes for them, with each character having different strengths and weaknesses which provide another layer, besides stats, to differentiate them from each other.

There's also Divine Pulse, a system which returns from the previous game, Echoes, which allows you to rewind time should you make an error. While I'm a bit mixed about the way it arguably reduces the tension of your decisions, it's still a nice time-saver, especially if you misclick, and the older I get the more I appreciate that (now if only Heroes would add this...). It also helps offset one of the game's more questionable decisions, to have reinforcements act immediately upon spawning in the game's highest difficulty (seriously, did anyone actually want this to return after Fates got rid of it? Didn't think so)... well, it's not so bad if you can see the reinforcement bullshit, rewind time, and plan for them properly, although I still wish the game would embrace the reinforcement system seen in Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, the game I hyped in this space last year.

But really, it's writing where the game distinguishes itself from the rest of the series. Put simply, the game has some of the best character writing I've ever seen in a video game. The characters feel fully fleshed-out and real, and are very diverse, many having mental illness or serious emotional instability to work through. And the support system provides them ample opportunity to interact with their peers in a variety of different ways that showcase their personalities (a huge advantage Fire Emblem has over games that only show characters interacting with the protagonist or in large groups). The support structure isn't new to this game, but this is the first time it's been used so well to seriously develop so many characters.

Beyond that, the main conflict of the game is an absolutely fascinating one, because of the grey morality it brings to the table. The central thesis of the game is to ask the player when a revolution against an authoritarian regime is justified, and there are no easy answers provided regardless of the route the player ends up taking. The four main players in the game's plot (the three lords and one major NPC) all defy categorization as purely good or evil, and none are what we have come to expect from stereotypical heroes and villains of these types of stories. The game invites the player to decide what he or she thinks of each one, and it's a great feeling.

It's not a perfect game, of course. On gameplay, I can come up with quite a few quibbles (e.g. the interface, by Fire Emblem's high standards, has its share of warts), and on writing, the actual plotting that strings together the strong characters, themes, and questions of the game isn't the best (and in particular, though they are mercifully only barely relevant, there's still a shadowy group of Bad People doing Bad Things that Fire Emblem seems to love, and the game's plot goes in the toilet during the rare occasions they actually matter).

But overall it's just such a complete game. I struggle to think of many other games I've played that are this good at all the things I care about most: tactical gameplay, thought-provoking writing, strong character work. It's my game of the year of 2019, and, I'm quite confident now, my game of the decade for the 2010's.

Rating: 10/10

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 08:21:56 PM »
Games in 2019:

13. Final Fantasy XV* (2016)

My initial kneejerk on FF15 was to be skeptical of it, as the game rang every single conceivable warning bell on my radar that I can think of. But my curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to try it out anyway.

I’m not certain WHY. The game reminds me of Xenoblade in the sense that it is for people who love OPEN WORLDS! and EXPLORATION! and I don’t really care about those things. The game’s writing, which to be fair I only played about three hours of it, was pretty… weird? I think the game needed to do a better job of exploring the setting and WHY I cared about these characters before hitting us with the death of the main character’s father. The game seems to be devoted to being a chill roadtrip with vapid conversation between hot men, and I found the character work to be generally abysmal. I feel like these are the kind of characters who someone might say is cool or chill or a ‘bro’ but I saw nothing approaching interesting from any of them, particularly the three friends. The main thing I remember about the friends is there is a scene with Gladiolus where he pushes the car and it’s like one giant moving ass-shot of him. I had to look up his name to not embarrass myself in this post though. I think Lunafreya had some potential in her radio appearance, but that’s mostly it. I couldn’t endure the boring combat to wait for more boring plot, so I let it go and moved on. Thanks Nahyuta for teaching me this valuable lesson.

2/10.

12. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (1996)

For the first game on this list that I played to completion I have FE4. FE4 is an interesting game; it has a lot of mechanics that have been played around with by various entries in the series in various ways such as personal and class skills, Canto, as well as a large, sprawling story. The biggest thing to note about it is that its maps are really, really long compared to more modern entries in the series; there are only 12 maps, but most of them are equivalent in length to 2-3 maps in another Fire Emblem. The other thing is that they are often winding and they require you to retread through old locations, so you spend many of your turns just moving up and down the enormous battlefields, which to be quite frank is rather boring.

The character balance is wack. The characters with Pursuit, the doubling skill, are generally better than those without, and cavalry and flyers are extremely good as well. The one exception to these rules is Lewyn with Forseti, who is stupid and overpowered.

Gameplaywise, the game is pretty mediocre, but not terrible? It kept me entertained enough, especially once I accepted that it was okay to not do a map in one sitting! It has problems with ninja reinforcements, much like every game in the series does. My favorite is the 11 threat range mage boss with Pursuit who ninja’s you on a map where you are trying to get houses. That was hilarious and awful. It has some good bosses, especially late. I really enjoyed the conflict with Ishtar in the last map, even though it terrified me. I love the bosses that just come at you instead of sitting around waiting to die. I definitely feel like the second half of the game has better fights overall than the first.

The game is split into two halves. The first half you play as Sigurd. The first half is definitely the more interesting plotwise, for all that in classic Kaga fashion it barely remembers women exist except as their role as the ball (hi Deidre). But there is some glimmers of interesting writing there, and the end of Gen 1 plot twist must have been quite jarring for people who didn’t know about it. First, the main character’s best friend and sister are slaughtered on-screen by wyverns with Horseslayers, and then the main character is lured in a trap and killed. The end of Gen 1 is very very dark and leaves you feeling sad and defeated. I think it’s actually a good piece of writing, and Arvis is set up as this early grey villain in the series…

As mentioned above, Gen 2 has the better gameplay of the two gens, but its plot is very paint-by-numbers and uber-generic, unlike Gen 1. I actually barely remember anything about the plot at all other than the army of bishies and Arvis being a grey character who needed more screentime.

Do I like this game? Not particularly. Do I regret playing it? Absolutely not! It scratched an interest that I had for a long time, and it’s not so bad.

Am I itching for a replay? Hell no.

4.5/10

11. 20XX* (2017)

Two uncompleted games in one year? That’s pretty unusual for me, but it’s for a bit of a different reason than FF15. 20XX is a roguelike Megaman with pre-generated levels and bosses which you can fight in a variety of orders in the game, and their difficulty changes based on which order you fight them in. There are eight stages, like Megaman, but at the end of each stage you get a randomly generated choice between three of the remaining stages. Much like Megaman, once the eight stages are complete, there is a final stage (or stages?) to do.

The biggest difference is that you have to start over from the beginning if you die. To be fair, it is harder to die in 20XX than it is in Megaman; falling off a cliff only takes off 1 health instead of killing you outright. There are two different tracks of progress; permanent powerups and temporary powerups that last until you die on a run. As you progress, you collect currency to make your character more permanently powerful with various upgrades such as health and different guns. So your character becomes better over time.

But… I found that doing the same style pre-generated stages over and over every time you die was very repetitive and not very enjoyable for me. I found playing the game ultimately a bit of a chore as I closed in on trying to finish it, so I drew a line and decided to stop. I probably put about 15 hours in total.

5/10

10. I am Setsuna (2016)

I am Setsuna is a mix between Chrono Trigger and FFX, which is a recipe for general goodness, you’d think?

The game is sadly just a bit underwhelming on most fronts. Its writing is acceptable and sometimes has some interesting things to say, but it holds most of its plot points until way way too far into the game, especially all of the stuff Aeterna reveals during the final dungeon. Part of narrative is building up to plot points using foreshadowing, and I feel like the game did a poor job with that. I think Setsuna is a fine character, but she definitely falls short of exceptional, and I realized how much of FFX’s impact as a story relies on Tidus being part of and engaged in the plot, unlike the silent main in this game. All of the other characters are some shade of “generic RPG PCs”, and its NPC cast, to be honest, I’ve already forgotten them!

The gameplay is like Chrono Trigger but worse in a few ways. It doesn’t show you the range of your abilities, leaving you to guess what’s going on, and its systems for building characters are tedious and needlessly complex. I also feel like the random encounter design is quite a lot worse than CT.

It’s fine. Nothing to write home about, but not too bad.

6/10.

9. Devil May Cry 4 (2008)

Okay, so I played Bayonetta 2 at the beginning of the year and decided I would give Devil May Cry another shot after deciding to quit DMC3 a couple years back. So after like two years of the XBOX 360 being unused, it was finally pulled out again and sent on a new adventure!

Devil May Cry 4 is an interesting game. it chose to go with a bit of a different style as well as a new main character, Nero. While Nero looks a lot like Dante, their personalities are quite different, mostly to Nero’s detriment. The story of DMC4 is a bit more serious than 1/3, and to be honest, I’m not sure that was a direction that the series really needed to take, and Kyrie’s designated role as The Ball makes me have great disdain for the game. There is a lot of manly posturing but that’s not too new for this series / genre. Dante, in his appearances, is great as ever, and has gotten even hotter over time, aging like a fine wine.

The gameplay’s definitely more fun than 3; I like the bosses and the randoms both more than that game. I really liked the Nero fight against Credo in particular. The game isn’t exceptional at anything, though, and playing as a broody teen doesn’t really spark joy in me. Maybe I’ll try out 5 at some point and see if it can recreate what I liked about 1 (with, ideally, a better camera).

6/10.

8. Shantae: Half Genie Hero (2016)

I was a reasonably big fan of the third game in the Shantae series, The Pirate’s Curse, and so I decided to pick up the fourth game. Unlike 3, which tells a more linear story, Half Genie Hero goes for more of a serial ‘story of the day’ style, which I feel is largely a less good storytelling style for the game. Gameplaywise, I think that the items in Pirate’s Curse are a bit more interesting than the transformations in Half Genie Hero, and as a result the platforming feels more complete and more fun. With that being said, this game is still pretty good, although not as good as 3. Although it does look way better!

6.5/10.

7. Rayman Legends (2013)

The wildness of Rayman returns, and this time we have even more stages and other crazy challenges! The big twist on this game relative to Origins is the Murphy stages, where you have to move around Murphy and open doors so Rayman doesn’t die. Do I think this adds much to the game? Not really. But the stages are very enjoyable still, and the game is at a manageable but difficult level, challenge-wise. Do I think the game is about the same as Origins, rating wise? Absolutely. If you like Rayman, you’ll like it. If you don’t like Rayman, it wouldn’t change your mind.

7.5/10

6. Into the Breach (2018)

Well, in the eleventh hour of the year I decided to pick up a Laggy game. Which means “it probably has no plot and may have good gameplay so that’s cool”. I like it. It’s not omg mindblowing, but it is a solid, enjoyable gameplay experience that is up my alley, being a SRPG. It’s simply but compelling. The enemies attack and you have to react to their actions by interfering with them. You can use different sets of characters and play around with combinations of different units. I really like the ones that can reposition enemies in general. I really like the team with the Laser Mech (Zenith Guard) and have been reasonably satisfied with the Steel Judoka so far. I think my favorite pilot abilities so far are the “resist webbing/smoke” one and the move after attacking one. :)

7.5/10

5. Bayonetta 2 (2014)

I was a pretty big fan of Bayonetta 1 when I played it a few years ago, so I decided to finally try out its sequel. The first thing that struck me is that Bayonetta DEFINITELY glows up in this version; nice hair, nice makeup, great glasses, nice outfit, and I think the blue theme fits Bayo better than the red from the previous game. The game is still tactless and half-assed plotwise, but I feel like the game’s writing is big overall weaker. Loki and the villain don’t have as much pizzazz as Luca or evil pope daddy, and Luca doesn’t play as big of a role in this game. Jeanne was also a better rival in 1 than masked man was in 2, I thought. Gameplaywise, I initially played on Third Climax, but I had a lot of difficulty with the first couple of maps, so I turned the difficulty down. I don’t feel like the iconic enemies are -as- iconic as the enemies from Bayonetta 1; Glory and Grace are the most memorable enemies in this game too, which is a little disappointing. Overall I think I like 1 better even though this game oozes more style, but it was still a good time.

7.5/10

4. Megaman 11 (2018)

Megaman 11 was my first game of the year, and for about half of the year, it was my highest. Which is funny because it’s a pretty decent game, but I would definitely call it short of exceptional. Unlike MM9 and MM10, MM11 introduces its own feel to the series. It embraces a 2D graphic style backgrounds with 3D characters, rather than the old NES style, looking more like a modern platformer than the old school style. It has sliding and charging again too!

It introduces a new mechanic, called the Double Gear, that adds new ripples to the gameplay system. The Power Gear gives you an amped up version of the regular powers from the Megaman games, whereas the Speed Gear allows Megaman to slow down time. Speed Gear is very very overpowered and, while the game isn’t trivial, it makes a lot of the game less challenging. It is a cool mechanic, though, but a little TOO good once you figure out how to make it work. I played the game once using the powerups and then replayed it only using the buster; even with buster only, Speed Gear is so silly.

The weapons are pretty useful without being overpowered and the bosses are creative and fun. OH, AND IT HAS WILY AND LIGHT BACKSTORY!! DRAMA!!!

Also, EXPLOSION. IS. ART! The game has generally enjoyable voice acting, especially if you embrace the camp of robot masters ala MM8, but that line is the one that sticks with me the most from the game. Don’t worry, kids, this isn’t the last time we will praise Chris Hackney’s work in this post.

The game doesn’t really break any new ground, but it is a solid entry into a solid series. I probably place it somewhere in the middle of my Megaman ratings.

8/10.

3. Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark (2018)

Fell Seal is a game that had a hefty claim thrust upon it, at least for me: a game modelled after FFT?? Well, this ain’t my first rodeo, so I had tempered expectations. I’ve played FFTA and Disgaea, both hyped as THE SUCCESSOR TO FFT, and neither of them really deliver on that front. (And of course Hoshi, which I thankfully never had the displeasure of experiencing.) Fell Seal is a Kickstarter game, although I didn’t personally support it. I just bought it on the Switch.

The game is advertised as having a ‘mature’ story, which is true, if by mature you mean mostly dull with predictable, paint-by-numbers plot progression. The characters are older than your average RPG leads; I think the main character is in her 30s, as is her brother. The characters are all generically likeable and noble without rocking the boat much if at all. There’s the gruff but kind female lead, the rogueish male lead, the sweet and naive girl (who to be fair ends up with a class called Demon Knight, which uses her life force to kill enemies), to the amoral necromancer, and there’s a few other characters who are fine and well but nothing too special. There is a bit of a political plot but none of it is very engaging because none of the characters that you follow or care about have anything to do with it aside from being told what to do sometimes by political players. I don’t think that the people who made this game were much for writing stories and probably didn’t care that much about the plot beyond just moving from place to place, and it shows.

The gameplay is where the game really shines and where it bears its real strengths. It has the job class system like FFT where you need prereqs to unlock different jobs and sometimes combinations of jobs and it has the little rotating circle with the jobs. It also has the one secondary skillset slot as well as the three skill slots, although they are a bit more flexible. There’s a reaction slot and then two other slots. The game gives everyone the same Job Points regardless if they participate in a battle, and they give people who did not participate a small amount of spillover job experience as well. It means that you can reasonably build a lot of characters. The game also has this Injury system that keeps the characters out for a battle when they die in battle, which encourages you to have a rotating group of people. You can turn it off, and to be honest, I probably will turn it off in the future. Speaking of which, the game allows you to customize your experience a great deal, which is one of the really nice things about the game. It makes the game quite replayable.

The biggest departure from FFT is the MP system, which is a bit more like Tactics Ogre. Each of your characters regenerate 10 MP per turn, and often skills cost from 8-24 MP, so you can never run out of MP, but MP is always a consistent issue for most of the non-pure physical characters, and even many of the physical classes have some nice techs. Because of this system, a lot of the classes with high MP drain really want to dedicate their skill slots to MP regeneration. It puts a limit on the overpoweredness of some of the mage classes relative to the physical jobs, because without the massive limitation on MP, some of the lategame magic jobs would be very powerful.

I find the graphical style a bit dull and western, and the characters are a bit drab and unexciting, even if you can customize them. It’s obviously a budget game, so i’m not necessarily going to blame them for this, but it is what it is, as they say. The music is also in that category.

Overall? It’s in a long line of great gameplay games with a package that is overall underwhelming otherwise. Compared to Rabbids, I found the map design a bit worse and the game has a few too few breaks between the constant battles, so I will give it a slightly lower score than Rabbids.

8.5/10.

2. Nier: Automata (2017)

The first word that comes to mind when I think of Nier:A is “creative”. This is the first Yoko Taro game that I’ve ever played, and man is it a good one. The gameplay is a bit of a modified version of the Bayonetta style gameplay, which is a great start. Due to the more open-world nature of Nier:A and the unpredictability of abilities and levels, I don’t feel like this game is as good as some of the traditional action games at pure gameplay. I found the mechanics themselves to be quite fun, but the challenge is very spiky and often in an awkward place of being too hard without items and too easy with items. I ended up just embracing the full auto-item and regen life after holding out on items for a while.

Where the game really shines is its character work and setting building. I don’t want to go into too much detail, but you play as androids exploring a desolate world, and over time, you discover the secrets of the world, as well as the secrets of your own characters. There are many plot twists, some of them better than others. I think the game’s first 2/3s writing-wise are just brilliant and well-done, and I really fell in love with the relationship between 2B, 9S, and the world that they lived in.

The last third is sadly a little less good and a little less interesting, mostly sabotaged by plot decisions from earlier in the story. I’m not saying that it’s bad, per se, but I felt like the game really had something good going early and ultimately a lot of that good stuff doesn’t really matter. Which Yoko Taro might say is the point, but I don’t think I am nihilistic enough to desire it regardless.

The music is really great. I am not one of the world’s biggest game music fans, but I think the soundtrack of this game is not only exceptional in its own right, but it is exceptional within the context of the game. Rarely did I feel like a track was mismatched with the place in which it played. Some of my favorites included: Birth of a Wish, Bipolar Nightmare, Pascal, Peaceful Sleep.

Do I think the game is perfect? No, but it is truly worth experiencing.

9/10.

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019)

How do I feel about Three Houses?

So Three Houses is the newest game in the series; the first non-remake Fire Emblem since Fates in 2014. Fates is quite a polarizing game in the series, with some people who really love it and some people who really don’t. I am in the former camp. But what if the lesson that someone took from Fates was “wow, all of these morally grey characters are the most popular, so let’s just make most of the game full of morally grey characters?”

Three Houses follows three lords: Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude, and depending on which route you took, you go through the game with a different lens. There are four total routes: Azure Moon, Verdant Wind, Silver Snow, and Crimson Flower, with Edelgard’s splitting in half about halfway in.

Three of the routes (AM, VW, SS) all follow roughly similar trajectories, with variations on the same story beats happening in each, largely due to the different cast of characters that you follow. Crimson Flower is a unique route and does it own thing and has its own completely different story beats. They each have their own themes as well: AM is about recovering from trauma, loss, and emotional turmoil, VW is about open borders and freedom from xenophobia, and CF is about freedom from organized religion and oppression (and generally deciding your own fate). Don’t ask me what Silver Snow is about because your guess is as good as mine.

Each lord, to a large extent, drives their own route, giving each route a unique feel. All three lords are, in their own way, morally grey and all three made me a little uncomfortable as I played their routes. Gone are the days of Marth, who is unambiguously the nice protagonist, but nor are any of the three mains a power trip on evil ala Demon Path Revya. Edelgard (CF) is determined to change the world that she sees as unfixable and corrupt, and is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve that goal, regardless of the costs. Dimitri (AM) suffers from severe mental illness and has strong feelings, both of love and of hate, and goes through all of the ups and downs associated with that. Claude (VW) is noble but hyper-manipulative. All three have shades of characters that we’ve seen before (although not always as protagonists…), but all three have their own spin on things. Silver Snow doesn’t follow any of the lords but instead follows the silent main in a vaguely nonsensical journey in a route which is about nothing.

The game wears its politics on its sleeve in a way that most games don’t. It asks you moral questions and refuses to answer them for you. As a result, you see a large variety of feelings on a few of the major players, particularly Edelgard and Rhea, who is another one of those morally grey characters I talked about above. I think people get a bit more factional than I would personally like about the game, but the characters certainly generate discussion.

The three lords are all driving forces in the game, but there are also a stack of interesting secondary characters, whose stories and how they relate to the world are told through their supports, often exploring the meaning of privilege, loyalty, faith/religion, and varying shades of insecurity and mental illness. Along with Edelgard and Dimitri, who both have excellent supports on average, I really like Hubert, Ferdinand, Dorothea, Felix, Sylvain, and Mercedes for characters who, to varying degrees, explore the setting and culture of their countries through their supports. To be honest, I think that this is where the game really stands out above the rest from a writing perspective, because you get so much more insight into how the characters tick, and not just the important ones, and exploration of those secondary characters allows you to understand the setting. And if you want a little bit more light-hearted supports, Claude and Hilda have some of my favorites on that front, along with Bernadetta, who some people like me find hilarious and other people find makes light of her anxiety, so I guess it’s a bit of a taste thing. Lysithea also gives me a good laugh because she’s such a raging bitch who stomps on people’s faces, and Caspar can be pretty amusing if you just want pure silliness. I guess I will mention that you can support as many characters as you want, which means that you can grab as many as you can, unlike the old games.

Also, I think the game is very well voice acted, but in particular, Chris Hackney puts in excellent work as Dimitri, and Allegra Clark is brilliant and credible as Dorothea. But most of the voice acting is pretty winning, particularly for the most important characters.

As Elfboy said, probably the biggest flaw of the game writing-wise is the stupid death cult. Good thing they are basically irrelevant on half of the routes!

Gameplay? It’s Fire Emblem .You know what you’re getting. If you like FE gameplay, you’ll like it. It’s a bit more old-school than Fates/Awakening, harkening back to the older style removing the Pair Up system and the Dual Attacks. I think the early part of the game is a bit weak gameplaywise, especially coming off of Conquest which pretty much is on its game all of the time, but after the timeskip, the maps generally get more interesting and complex.

10/10.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:39:54 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 03:13:46 AM »
Yeah I barely played anything. Let's get on with it.

3. Wargroove
I honestly would not fault Intelligent Systems if they wanted to sue over this game. With that said, I'm glad somebody took matters into their own hands and made a new Advance Wars for us. I didn't really have the time or concentration to complete the game, but it's impressively made and has some cool additions to the core gameplay of AW. Fog of War maps suck and are what ultimately made me stop playing. They are the water levels of strategy games, only worse.

I know i'm complaining, but Wargroove is really fun and you should try it if you like this genre or used to play lots of Advance Wars. You'll enjoy it.

2. Dragon Quest XI
Nothing too unexpected for a Dragon Quest game here, though the plot has more twists and turns than usual. It might be the best written game in the series, in fact. I really liked the main cast, and the world was fun to explore. It's interesting how well roaming monsters have integrated into Dragon Quest despite its reputation for sticking to JRPG standards. DQXI is a great game because it gives you so much freedom as to how you want to play. You can stay underleveled and enjoy the struggle, steamroll everything, try weird builds, self-restrict stuff... the team clearly wanted everyone to be able to play Dragon Quest however they wanted. My one main criticism there is that the game is far too easy until Act 3, where it spikes quite unfairly. This invalidates a lot of the choices you are given, at least to an extent.

Visually, the game is incredible; one of the best cartoony anime games out there. Musically, it's one of Sugiyama's worst, though not without some nice songs here and there. Mostly, the ones you hear all the time are for some reason the runts of the litter.

It's really good and you should play it!

1. Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War
Well, dang. This is my new favorite Fire Emblem title. The fun part is that it such a heavily flawed game in so many respects. Yet, it succeeds at something no other game in the franchise has: it actually feels like you're commanding a large army in a large-scale conflict spanning generations. It's pretty impressive how much gameplay-story integration is on display considering this came out in 1996.

The main problem with this game is that it's tedious beyond belief. You'll spend hours in battle preps and arenas, turns take ages, enemy phases are slow, and every map took me about a week to finish in real time since I could only play about a turn per session. I'm telling you that against all odds, I think that made the game better in some ways. You should play FE4 if you want to truly get immersed in the grand scale of fantasy combat the series centers on. Don't expect any of the nice features from later titles. It don't play that way.

Oh yeah, and I loved getting to play as my army's kids in the second half of the game. That was just an incredible, bold idea. Well played, Kaga. Sorry you had to plagiarize your own series after they kicked you out and all. You've earned my respect!

---

Since I didn't play much this year, here's my quick-like Games of the Decade list:

This was a decade of massive changes for me. When I looked back at everything, I was surprised at how I found myself ordering these, but I guess I have to be honest. There are so many titles I still want to play and in fact may never get to, and some I frankly missed the hype train on. Going to limit myself to 50 words per game! I realize that 29 is a weird amount of games, but this is how things turned out and it's how I'm gonna leave it.

29. Mario Kart 8
This is a Mario Kart game

28. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Multiplayer Kirby is fun, enough said. It's the kind of thing you can play with someone of any skill level and enjoy.

27. Shin Megami Tensei IV
The first dungeon is incredibly memorable, and the atmosphere of ruined Tokyo as well. I remember really enjoying this game, but it hasn't stuck in my mind as much as Nocturne or Strange Journey.

26. Dangan-Ronpa
I'm not as crazy about this as some people, but I do think it's a good title in the Escape Room genre. Very silly and fun (maybe too much sometimes)

25. Radiant Historia
Unique, compelling little RPG. Lacking a bit in a wow factor that has me remembering it overly fondly years later, but it's one of the better takes on time travel out there in a game of this type.

24. Super Mario Maker
It does what it says, and I had no complaints. Fun times here.

23. Pokemon Black & White
The best Pokemon has been so far, in my opinion. Forcing the player to start from square one instead of relying on what they were used to was genius. The game also plays smoother than most other games in the series. Story is a swing and a miss but at least they tried.

22. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
It's the best one since Melee. Oops, Melee is still better.

21. Bravely Default
One of the better traditional RPGs of the decade, even if it goes completely insane lategame. The updated job system is great, and REVO's soundtrack is amazing.

22. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
The best Final Fantasy game of the decade. (lol) I know it's just a dumb rhythm game, but man, I probably played it way more than I should have. Super fun to just pick up and groove to FF tunes with.

21. Nier: Automata
Taro aims big and mostly succeeds here, at least in terms of narrative and presentation. The gameplay itself is essentially garbage, but it's worth slogging through to enjoy where Taro takes you. I don't think the game is for the faint of heart.

20. The Walking Dead
I fell out of love with this after the sequels, but after watching someone else play and respond to it, I remembered just how effective the original was! For sure, TellTale never recaptured the lightning in a bottle on this one. Gripping and harrowing to play.

19. Dark Souls 3
There was still a little fuel in the DS fire at this point. DS3 has some memorable bosses and it's darn pretty, but something is definitely missing compared to the heyday of the series. Nonetheless, it has great gameplay and plenty of replay value.

18. Xenoblade Chronicles
Massive, lovingly made, with amazing music for the most part. It's for sure overlong, but well worth experiencing for any RPG fan. I don't think I could ever 100% it.

17. AM2R
The best Metroid game of the decade!

16. Zero Escape II: Virtue's Last Reward
This game will break your brain with its revelations. It tells a completely convoluted story quite well, and is probably the best game in the series objectively speaking. (I may prefer the first a little)

15. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
About as good as we can expect from a follow up to one of the greatest games ever made. I enjoyed all the changes made to the Zelda formula here and thought the dungeons were very well-designed.

14. South Park: The Stick of Truth
You have to be a fan of SP, but if you are, there's nothing quite like this. Amazingly spot on, and the combat is fun as well.

13. HuniePop
After a certain point you get addicted to the actual gameplay. This game proves dating sims still have something to them despite basically not changing since the 90s. It's also so tongue in cheek you can't help laughing along with it.

12. Dragon Quest XI
I can respect a lot of fans thinking this is the best DQ, even if I don't feel that way. The first two Acts are excellent, and the third feels unneeded. The out of combat stuff is a ton of fun, for sure, and I liked the characters a lot.

11. Dragon's Dogma
It's sprawling, fun, and will make you laugh, intentionally or no. Totally unbalanced yet somehow redeemable and exciting.

10. Katawa Shoujo
A game that really shouldn't be this memorable and shouldn't have hit me as hard as it did. Probably one of the best games about romance ever made, not that there is a ton of competition.

9. Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Prosecutor's Path
One of the best AA games! A great character study of Miles Edgeworth. If I have any criticisms, it's a bit slow and repetitive, but I think it's worth putting up with that to play the most tightly constructed narrative in the series.

8. Nier
While it's definitely not a perfect game, it changed the way I think about storytelling in games and gameplay-story integration. Nier truly solidified Taro as an auteur game designer as well. The OST is my album of the decade, incidentally.

7. Persona 5
This game really makes you angry about the injustices young people face all over the world, and it actually manages to feel like a story set in the present day without it being gimmicky. Better than P4? Up to you, I guess.

6. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Takumi probably isn't topping this. A truly creative mystery and puzzle game that manages to tell a great story while also popping like a Saturday morning cartoon.

5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
I think people will come around on it. Amazing stealth gameplay with lots of different ways to approach things, and a fascinating story about myth and identity in the current era.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Solves the problem of open world games being too complicated by being a Zelda game at its core. It finally delivers on the promise of the original Zelda as well.

3. Dark Souls
I know everyone is going to list this, and I'm just going with the crowd, but I truly think Miyazaki-san monumentally changed the way everyone sees games, and more importantly made something that is truly fun to play at the same time.

2. Bloodborne
You know a game is amazing when your fear of blood doesn't even prevent you from enjoying it. I wish I could have played it a hundred more times, and I would have if it had come out when I was younger.

1. Undertale
Every indie game developer wishes they could have come up with something as clever and beautiful as this. It makes me look back with some regret, but also happiness that somebody pulled off the dream!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:20:41 AM by jsh357 »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 08:33:42 AM »
A pretty good year for gaming.  Lots of fantastic games, and even the weaker games were still fine.  Also, I played an unusual amount of games actually released in 2019?  Normally I spend a bunch of time retrogaming & catching up, but even the "Retro" stuff was 2017-2018 in general, with only 1 exception - admittedly, a big time hog of an exception.

Good (7/10)
10. Wargroove (Steam, 2019)

Wargroove is fine!  I didn't play Advance Wars, but it was nice to see how that game worked, and some of the maps have some nice deep strategy.  But that is basically it.  The plot & characters might as well not exist, and the soundtrack is quite unimpressive for a game that sticks "Groove" in its name.  The enemy AI is, by necessity, not super amazing, which also limits replay value a bit.

9. Blaster Master Zero (Nintendo 3DS, 2017)

A remake of the original NES Blaster Master, which was a bit of a proto-Metroidvania actually, just including a tank.  Somehow, they managed to actually brush up the bare-bones story about a boy and his missing pet frog, too.  On the downside, neither the exploration nor the combat is really THAT amazing.  The bosses are amusing enough to fight at least, although 98% of them are on-foot, a bit of an odd choice - why not have more tank fights?

(There's a Switch version too, if you don't use your 3DS anymore.)

8. River City Girls (Steam, 2019)

It's a fun, stylish beat 'em up.  I enjoyed Double Dragon Neon, and this is more of that: chain together simpleish moves to beat up hordes of enemies.  While the plot is nearly non-existent, the dialogue & boss cutscenes are actually pretty fun.  The soundtrack is also excellent.

My main nitpick with this game is, oddly enough, the ending, which might seem weird for a nearly plotless game where the plot isn't really the point anyway.  It's really dumb and requires looking up Wikipedia to understand WTF and still isn't funny or dramatic.  My best analogy - Mario ends with saving the princess, and Dark Souls ends with setting yourself on fire forever.  Both perfectly valid endings for the kind of game they are!  Imagine if a Mario game ends with Mario not rescuing the princess but just impaling himself on a giant fire flower, and you have the RCG ending.

7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (* tentative) (Steam, 2019)

Gonna mark this here for now, but I still need to actually finish the game.  It was fun, but also very much "let's just play Symphony of the Night again."  Which is cool, I like Symphony, but I think I might actually like Curse of the Moon more?  RotN is way more powerful for both the player and the enemy, and I actually prefer the easier to follow action of Curse a bit.  This score can definitely go up still, I enjoyed the game until it started crashing too often, and the number 1 game on this list came around by the time I upgraded my PC and waited for the next patch, which sufficiently distracted me to stop me from finishing it.

6. Return of the Obra Dinn (Steam, 2018)

Another indie game made largely by one person, similar to WILL.  You are a paranormal..  insurance investigator..  tasked with figuring out how everybody died on an empty ship that just pulled into harbor, so that you can better settle claims and payout estates.  (Or charge estates if somebody naughtily committed a bit of mutiny or treason.)  There's a few easy ones ("Oh no, don't shoot me Fred!"), but it rapidly gets non-trivial - you really have to think about who a character might be, how they're dressed, who they seem to hang out with, what really might have killed them when it's not obvious, and so on.  The plot is fine and gripping enough, albeit it does involve a bit of the tragedy of stupid people making catastrophic mistakes. 

Anyway, I got stuck, took a break, then savagely started checking nudge / hint guides to smash through the rest of the fates.  Tracking "important" people isn't usually too bad, but distinguishing all the random seaman on a ship is hard.  I am still not sure how the player was expected to really ascertain a few of these identities.  I'd have been more cool with suffering through it myself, but the game has a few slightly hostile features - your journal, the main place you record info, doesn't allow you to hop into a death flashback from it.  You have to actually hobble over to that part of the ship, which granted, the journal will remind you of.  But some fates are trapped inside other fates!  So you have to remember which one, then go to that body, then find the right body within that memory, etc.  Bleh.  Nah, I'll just FAQ my way through from here, sorry.  It was still a rewarding experience even getting some of the crew fates right!  But I know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Great (8/10)

5. Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, 2012 - original in 2008)

I never played the original PS2 Persona 4.  After liking Persona 5 when I played it in 2017, I figured I'd go give P4 a shot.  It's good!  I don't think some of the best-game-evar hype from 2008-2009 really holds up now, but it's still a quite solid game, with some excellent themes that hold up well.  The gameplay is..  erratic, but okay.  The challenge generally jumps in the toilet for the back half of the game, even on Hard; I basically ran from nearly everything in the final two dungeons to ensure there'd still be some challenge afoot.  Buffs & debuffs are busted as hell in P4G, and almost nothing can stop them from crushing the game.

While not an expert, it was usually easy enough to tell what was added for the Golden version, and it's a mixed bag.  There's a few "jokes" that go over like lead balloons, but more usually, it's a sitcom version of Persona 4 - let's take all the traits you love about your characters and amp them up 10x!  It's okay for a few jokes but kinda takes away from the harder edge of the life simulation parts, since it makes it more clear this is some weird fictional universe where Wacky Stuff happens then Hilarity Ensues.

The main thing I didn't expect going into the game, remembering the various best girl debates of the 2009 Internet: the best girl in P4G is Kanji, sorry.  He's got the best writing of the main cast by far, and has something approaching character development after his dungeon.  Chie, Yukiko, & Rise are all some of the weakest written characters, oddly enough.

4. WILL: A Wonderful World (* tentative) (Switch, 2017)

This is the most tentative ranking of the list - it's an entirely plot-based game that I'm not finished with, so if the plot is sufficiently bad at the end, this will get a downgrade!  That said, it's been fun as hell so far and quite compelling.  Anyway, this is an indie game made by basically one crazy person.  The basic conceit is adjusting the order and position of lines in a story to get a different result, so very much a "Reading: the game" type deal.  It's justified by the main character being an alleged god getting prayers / requests / etc. by letter, and chopping the letters up and rearranging events a little to see what happens.  Give the insane assassin a salted fish rather than a gun, and give the rival cat a gun rather than an awesome fish, say.  While theoretically you're looking for the best ending, really you're just trying to find all the various endings to see all the interesting ways you can ruin/fix everyone's lives.  (And just granting everyone's wishes…  well let's say that doesn't go great either.  Not sure if it's a side effect of D&D plot or what, but I'm pretty sure I've managed to turn at least 3 people into killers.)

The one downside I'll mention is that one of the plotlines is a bit ridiculous and out of tone?  It's an elite Korean police unit that is in one of those plotlines where the other cops are bad/corrupt, there are evil gangs out there that are just super-evil, and Jack Bauer / The Punisher / etc. needs to go on a killing spree to solve things.  Oh and there's a super-assassin evil side personality to one character, right out of an anime.

If you're curious about more since I haven't seen too much chatter on this game, see this review (which also was disappointed with the ending I haven't seen yet, but didn't care):
https://kotaku.com/will-a-wonderful-world-the-kotaku-review-1834824840

3. Hollow Knight (Switch, 2018 - original in 2017)

One of the best Metroidvanias I've played.  (Disclaimer: It's still sorta incomplete?  I got just the base ending, not the "good" ending, but eh, close enough.)  The main appeal of Hollow Knight over the likes of Bloodstained is that it's much, much more combat focused.  There are tons of bosses & sub-bosses to engage on insect combat with.  While you do get an expanding array of power-ups, they're a lot more restricted and "fair".  So rather than "become invincible" or "fill half the screen with projectiles", you're stuck with effects more like "gain some more MP with your draining sword" or "your sword reaches ever so slightly farther out." 

There was one particular thing that blocked me early on involving bouncy fungus, but once I got past that, the world of Hollow Knight is interconnected in a lot of interesting ways, meaning everybody discovers their own route through.  It's great fun poking around, and the first trip to the Deepnest will always be nice & memorable.

Excellent (9/10)

2. AI: The Somnium Files (Steam, 2019)

Well, I'm a big fan of Uchikowski's work (999, Virtue's Last Reward, etc.) and has insane but fascinating plots, and this is the next game of his.  It doesn't disappoint.  It's got a tight-but-crazy thinky sci-fi/horror plot that builds quite well and mostly makes sense.  (If anything, a bit too much sense; the final scenario could probably advance through the revelations I'd already figured out a little faster.)  The script is excellently written, and the characters are all quite compelling.  There's not that much gameplay; some choices, some interrogations, some QTEs.  The main gameplay focus is the Somniums themselves - the police are grabbing people, drugging them to sleep, and poking around their memories which you'd think would make crime-solving really easy.  These are fun experiences, but not really that HARD exactly.

I was tempted to put this first, but the gameplay is a little too lacking.  Also, Date, the main character, is a bit too much of a perv at times to the point of being ridiculous; there's a few oddly video-gamey action scene QTEs that really don't jive with the rest of the game's tone, but so be it.

Classic (10/10)

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch, 2019)

It's Fire Emblem, but a really good one, probably the best one.  The plot is easily the best and most compelling of any Fire Emblem, and it can absolutely hang with many of the best RPG plots out there.  While some of the plotlines are frustratingly incomplete, overall, it's incredibly solid and interesting.  It's got great characters top to bottom, and I was quite invested in their success.  The quality of life features are pretty handy too - divine pulse to take back misclicks, previewing enemy threat ranges & presumptive targets, easily accessible shopping before a battle, and so on.

In the realm of complaints - some aspects of the game were clearly budget-limited and a bit rushed.  Most notably, there really should have been some more battle map differences between Verdant Wind, Azure Moon, and Silver Snow (aka the non-Edelgard routes).  But nope, the maps are flat identical, not even having different starting positions or slightly different objectives or the like.  For difficulty, Hard is a little too easy, and Maddening is a little too frustrating; some difficult setting in-between would have been appreciated.  I also don't think the skill system ended up too deep or interesting, but oh well.

Also, this is considerably more minor, but for perfectionists like me, all of that monastery micromanagement can get a bit wearying.  Yes, you can skip it, especially toward the end, but meh, that rubs me the wrong way.  Could be a slight issue for replayability, although maybe Abyss Mode in the next DLC pack will be a plot-free battle fest version?  We'll see.

Finished, ranked in 2018:
* Cosmic Star Heroine - I can't say I was particularly impressed with the final plot of the game, but the gameplay remained interesting on Heroine difficulty to the end.  Was a 6/10 "Okay" game then, I stand by that.  Probably worse than Wargroove.  Even the final plot twists manage to be incompetently done; if A & B work together to take out C, then B betrays A, it better be to use something from A and something from their common foe C.  Instead, B just grabs A's stuff and declares victory, which makes you wonder why B was helping take out C.  Come on.

Notable replays:
* Fire Emblem Echoes - Third playthrough using the Cipher DLC characters / low recruit count.  The nice thing about this game is that you can skip almost all the dialogue on your replays, and with a lot of enemy phase skip, soar through the game in no time at all.  Unlike certain OTHER Fire Emblem games that punish you a lot more for that released in 2019.  (Also, not listed here, but I played some of an FE Fates Conquest replay on Lunatic, but eh, didn't really get THAT far IIRC.)
* Civilization Beyond Earth: Rising Tide - Finally tried the expansion.  It *does* give the enemy AIs a lot more personality, which is good, as well as having a more clear diplomatic system than usual.  Still has some of BE's fundamental problems though, like aliens being no fun.  Oh well.

Unfinished:
* Tokyo Xanadu - I'm still interestested in this, so stay tuned.  Just Trails of Cold Steel III coming out has kind of displaced this in my Falcom priority list.  It seems to be Ys-ish except with more anime high school nonsense.
* Gorogoa - Pretentious indie game on the Switch about adjusting windows of view and landscapes and the like.  Maybe an artistic equivalent of WILL above?  Except it isn't fun and doesn't really have a plot.  Dropped this pretty fast, won't be returning.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:36:38 AM by SnowFire »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 04:35:25 PM »
Going through some of the games I played in 2019...

Dragon Quest 11: A suitable Dragon Quest game. Good Voice acting, animation, and a more interesting plot than a typical dragon quest game. Held back by being a Dragon Quest game. The game could have benefited from a non-silent main and having a less 'wish-fulfillment' feeling to it. I was pleasantly surprised after part 1 when the main character was talking, but I was disappointed to find that it was only for one flashback.

Divine Divinity: I'm not sure what made me pick up this game, but I did and I played it. It wasn't very good but I can see why it might have been liked when it came out.

Fortune Summoners: Replayed this game and it... surprisingly held up. The combat is fast paced and satisfying and the plot is cute enough. It delivers a steady progression of new abilities too. And the power/mobility surge in the end is suitable for being the entire point of the adventure up to that point.

Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight: This rekindled my affection for Metroidvanias, of which it is a decent one. A leaf is a unique weapon of choice even for RPGs.

Valdis Story: Another decent Metroidvania. The 'rewards are higher if you get a high score against bosses' thing isn't up my alley but at the same time I could mostly ignore it.

Ys Origin: This is a decent Ys game that is somewhere between Ys 6 and 7 for me. The music is standout as per normal.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »
Every year my initial goal is to average one game per month.  I didn’t get there this year, but honestly that’s in part because I played some real long ones this year which really ate up the whole summer.  Flip side, I haven’t had so many games in the 9-10 range in years!  So y’know what, successful year overall.

9. Detective Pikachu (3DS, 2016)

So as an adventure/puzzle game Detective Pikachu is certainly weaker than the ones I usually play, Ace Attorney.  And there isn’t half the focus on character as that series to boot, even if Emilia is very yes.  But honestly, I think this was pitched as a way to sort of bring the Pokedex to life, and honestly that’s kinda fun as an experiment and it does that well.  Having the solution to the mysteries being those oddball facts about the Pokémon coming into play is very cool, and for the relative shortness of the game, that’s plenty to carry it.  Nothing spectacular, not a game I’d recommend, but certainly something I don’t regret playing. 6/10

8. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS, 2015)

So spoilers there’s an FE game that came out this year higher on the list, and between that and Sacred Stones I debated whether or not to even talk about Birthright as separate from its alternate path, Conquest.  But y’know what, Nintendo sold them as two games and honestly, they *feel* like two games in a way no other Fire Emblem does.
Honestly the shared traits between them, in particular adding attributes to different tiers of weapons to make them all “useful” throughout the game to counterbalance the elimination of weapon durability, made Birthright the more fun to play despite the more basic map design.  But the larger difference is that Conquest makes so many narrative contortions to justify sticking with the ‘Dark’ path that it starts to feel insulting as a player, while Birthright is just bland, average Fire Emblem.
It turns out I like bland, average Fire Emblem decently.  7/10?  Sounds right.

7. I Am Setsuna (Switch, 2016)

It’s hard to add many thoughts on I Am Setsuna even with hindsight.  There’s nothing especially wrong with it except that it invites comparisons I can’t live up to: the plot draws heavily from Final Fantasy X, forgetting that FFX works due to spending so much time invested in Tidus as a character that the realization of what Yuna’s doing motivates him as well as the player to avert it, while drawing so many mechanical elements from Chrono Trigger loses a lot of luster without the vibrant environments and careful character balance the Best SNES Game had.  It’s nice to see such games exist, and you can do a lot worse as a way to JRPG up a weekend, but very little recommends it over other games in its niche. 7/10

6. Atelier Lulua (Switch, 2019)

Gust keeps making these faster than I can play them.  I don’t really need one per year, yet they do not relent.  This is mostly a problem because the strength of Atelier is rarely in any individual game (sure, Rorona is bad and Totori gets a lot of subtle things right that elevate it), because most Atelier games deliver a similar vibe and gameplay loop and it’s a wonderful way to rewire your brain for a couple weeks.  Having skipped something like 5 games between Ayesha and Lulua, there’s some new mechanics that streamline a lot of things, which is nice, but otherwise this… sure is some more Atelier.  It’s gotten more willing to have some silliness, partly because it’s a followup to the Gust Trilogy as much as anything I imagine, but shonen armwrestling battles aside this is definitely still Atelier.  Exploring a friendly world with deadly creatures staring adorable girls in adorable outfits learning about life and how to solve ground level, relatable problems is still present and dominates the majority of play time.  Lulua’s unique twists are in a way an in-universe way to be more player friendly more than anything, but really the appeal is seeing what happened in the land of Arland several years on and it’s nice.  This game is nice. 7/10

5. Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee (Switch, 2018)

So a good 15 years after the remakes of Red and Blue, we have the remakes of Yellow!  This is simultaneously a very complete remake but also a shockingly conservative one.  There’s not really any added content at the end, the original Pokédex is left unaltered aside from the available Alolan forms, and even a great deal of the dialog are unaltered.  The main changes aside from a completely baffling Twilight Zone “you’re doing Red and Blue’s journey exactly but also Red and Blue are experienced Pokémon trainers that exist here” are in presentation and catch mechanics.  I play some Pokemon Go and don’t mind that at all, although it’s a lateral change to me I think.  The changes in presentation are surprisingly effective at points, I like having dramatic weight to utterly crushing Jessie and James.
Okay that’s wrong, the actual biggest change is that the unevolving Pikachu and its Eevee counterpart are now actual viable endgame Pokémon with tons of special moves and quirks.  These things are ridiculous and the game clearly does not care about gameplay balance, and honestly that mindset is kinda part of the appeal such as the game has one.  It’s an utter steamroll through the original Kanto journey, and while if I’m totally honest FRLG are better games, I do like me a good steamroll.  7/10.

4. Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse (3DS, 2015)

This game is largely enjoyable and has some solid boss design and while a one of the lategame stages is Mega Man-tier rude which is very odd for a Metroidvania title, it’s very satisfying without ever completely disappearing down the “revisit E V E R Y  A R E A” hole.  But it’s real strength is sheer vibe; Shantae as a series is unabashedly horny on main without crossing the line into weird grossness like some games that dwell on that can (the collective works of Compile Heart or the Ar tonelico series for example).  And I think this is because most of the main cast are not-so-secretly into one another, creating the impression this is just half a dozen disaster lesbians trying to figure out how to just tell one of their four love interests they’re into them.
I have at least one more Shantae game on the shelf, and while I’m pretty sure Pirate’s Curse is almost universally considered the best one, I really should try to get to them.  8/10.

3. Octopath Traveler (Switch, 2018)

Socialism Primer 2018 is also a pretty good jRPG!  Honestly the only reason I didn’t knock it out in two months in 2018 is because I was in the midst of two other games and had assumed prior to release this was built along the lines of a SaGa game, with short individual paths for each character.  That’s… not *exactly* untrue, because the game’s chapters are structurally very much in that vein, but the only PCs are the 8 travelers themselves so it’s all one big game that you could nominally elect to skip most of the content in and still get to the end credits.  But this thing sports a simplified but still delightful cross-classing system (hah, cross classing in the socialism game) and your absurd endgame prestige classes will simply only be challenged by the actual final boss, an appropriately Godlike evil corpse pile.
But yeah Octopath Traveler has some odd self-inflicted writing flaws but on the whole they do a credible job of turning most of them into strengths, aside from the part where the game has very limited interaction between the characters because the writers didn’t want to make tons of content assuming who you had or hadn’t recruited in each chapter.  The themes of each character’s chapters all have a similar trajectory without really repeating the same aspect of those themes as the other travelers, arriving at a similar conclusion for completely different reasons.  It blends the strengths of both community and individualism very well, and it’s striking how seamless it feels.  9/10

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch, 2019)

Three Houses is the mighty Voltron of everything good about Fire Emblem.  Its cast has a level of personality and thought that finally surpasses that of Awakening.  The core conflict and sense that they get how each side of a war can be motivated by not just self-interest but by the ideologies and cultural legacies of the countries involved is finally back after being absent since Radiant Dawn.  Map design in the main chapters is a bit one-note at times, but paralogues return and spice things up nicely.  Moving away from the level caps and fixed experience tiers of earlier games was dabbled with in the previous game, since it was a direct remake of The Weird One, but is done away with entirely here and probably for the best since it opens up the class system to be much more varied and relevant beyond simple army composition.  It can trend a bit grindy to unlock things, but mostly you can roll with what you’re handed and make it work.  How you play apparently varies wildly based on difficulty, at as basic a level as what classes and aspects of the system are most useful, which is a good sign in general even if I don’t care to step it up.  Honestly most of the things wrong with the game are less flaws and more things that could have been even better, like greater changes between the routes or some slight extensions to the back half of the game.  It’s a good place to be really. 9/10

1. Kingdom Hearts III (PS4, 2019)

This is the best Kingdom Hearts game.  It has the quintessential Kingdom Hearts-ness I want from my Kingdom Hearts, wherein the world seems to be falling apart but the little pockets you find as you go through life help you put it back together.  This is probably the best the Worlds in a Kingdom Hearts game have informed the themes of the original plot, even while also being the biggest harsh divide between the tone and plots of the worlds and that plot.  While the gameplay is in no way technical, there’s so many different ways to play and all of them are more or less viable, which is something not especially present in the rest of the series.
Once the plot decides to show up… well.  The phrase is tearbending.  The timing of the game’s release helped a lot of course, just far enough along into the whole ‘what’s a gender’ process to have a solid grasp on it and have done some of the basic unpacking.  So having this game that brought back probably my first major “this trans character is me” character, the one I related to for ~Mysterious Reasons~… it was a lot.  I mean the entire back half of the game is saving everyone from impossible fates, but, well.
Xion wasn’t tricked or trapped in the darkness trying to save someone else.  She decided she didn’t deserve to live, that her being alive could only make everyone around her suffer, and well… they all said “FUCK THAT”, the minute they knew what had happened and how to bring her back for a real life.
I mean, how do you top that exactly? 10/10
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 05:54:36 AM »
Stealing jsh's idea, here's my own game of the decade list in 40 words or less. Again with a rather arbitrary cutoff (mostly corresponds to about the middle of my 8/10 ratings).

21-22. Rayman Origins/Legends
Not tiebreaking this one today. Rayman is a platformer that is tough but forgiving and very polished. It just feels fun to control. Too bad about the boss design.

20. Super Smash Bros for Wii U
I suppose Ultimate is technically better, but they're very similar and Smash 4 added half a dozen personal favourites while Smash 5 added almost nobody I care about. May be revised if Smash 5 adds Edelgard or Dimitri.

19. Mega Man 11
Mega Man has still got it. All aspects of the design are good if short of series heights, and the weapons in particular are a lot of fun.

18. Bayonetta
Finally a game captures what I liked about Devil May Cry 1 so much. Even mooks are beautifully crafted and engaging, and Bayonetta herself puts her own fresh spin on the over-the-top action main.

17. Celeste
Very enjoyable precision platformer. The genre often struggles with writing so I liked that this game actually had some things to say, even if I wasn't really the target audience for this one.

16. Mario Kart 7
This was a bit of a return to form for Mario Kart for me, with some of the strongest overall track design in the series. And I do love my Mario Kart.

15. Mario Kart 8
I feel it was a bit overall weaker than MK7 at release, but the addition of the DLC tracks (including MK7's best track) and 200 cc probably let it edge its predecessor out.

14. Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies
The game has some well-known pacing problems but it's still the most complete game to follow in Final Fantasy 5's footsteps. And I do love my FF5-likes.

13. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Puts a new spin on the AA formula, one I liked overall, allowing the narrative to mix up cross-examinations with other gameplay more readily. Had a sequel, too, but I was happier with the cases of the first game.

12. Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Easily the best game of the "Apollo trilogy", the cast dynamic is strong and there are some great cases here.

11. Nier: Automata
A gripping game with great voice work and amazing musical direction. The endgame isn't quite as good as I'd like and the gameplay is merely fun rather than great, but what it does well it does so very, very well.

10. Tales of Berseria
Never thought I'd like a Tales game this much, that's for sure. The compelling characters, nuanced morality, and thought-provoking writing more than make up for the unimpressive gameplay.

9. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Who knew a zany crossover between the mascots of Nintendo and Ubisoft would be a strategy RPG, let alone such a good one? It has great, tightly-balanced stage design and transparent mechanics.

8. Hyrule Warriors
I'm not even the biggest Zelda fan or Warriors fan but somehow this game was just so much fun. It's pretty and stylish and I sunk more hours into it than any other game this decade not named Fire Emblem.

7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
What if we gave a 2D platformer boss design and fluid controls worthy of the best action games? Picks up right where Igavanias left off, they just keep getting better.

6. Undertale
A short but very fun game with charming characters that manages to ask some interesting questions as well. Perhaps the game this decade I would most broadly recommend; everything from here on checks some special boxes for me.

5. Final Fantasy XIII
This decade's Xenosaga 2, that one game with interesting team-based gameplay and plot which is a bit of a mess which I seem to like more than most of the internet. Battle system is unique and riveting.

4. Super Mario 3D World
Easily my favourite 3D platformer of all time, because it alone seems to understand the type of stage design that makes 2D Mario so compelling and implements it in 3D well. Also, finally a spiritual successor to Mario 2!

3. Kid Icarus: Uprising
The gameplay is fun action stuff, and the writing is just straight hilarious. Palutena threatened to win character of the decade for me until the last year and a half.

2. Fire Emblem Fates
The best strategy RPG gameplay of all time, strategy RPGs being my favourite genre. I enjoyed some of the character work a lot too! I really thought this had game of the decade sewn up for me.

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Fire Emblem, now with thought-provoking writing? I never thought I'd see the day. Also is Fire Emblem with all the good that entails, and has a downright outstanding cast.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 12:58:29 PM »
Hmm, the whole decade?  Well, I've been keeping my yearly rankings in a Google Doc for ease of editing & sharing, so I guess I could look at 9/10 games and above...  then toss out stuff released pre-2010 (sorry, Portal / Team Fortress 2 / retrogames)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Eniw2m6HWAqGTfP-lycfvFpcflN8qctBJbJg58UwsV8/edit?usp=sharing

Seems I only ranked three games 10/10 Classics: Civilization V, Fire Emblem Awakening, & Fire Emblem Three Houses.  Think that's still a fair list of awesome stuff, I'll stand by all of those rankings.

Expanding to include 9/10 games...  don't think I'm much for internal ranking among the 9/10s, but interesting to classify by genre I guess?  Let's see what genres get a lot of SF-bait games in 2010-19.

Plotty visual novels (6)
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Ghost Trick
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
AI: The Somnium Files

RPGs (6)
Persona 5
LoH: Trails in the Sky
LoH: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter
LoH: Trails of Cold Steel
Bravely Default
Radiant Historia

Strategy (4)
Civilization V
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fire Emblem Fates
Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Mostly Multiplayer (2.5)
StarCraft II
League of Legends
(Civilization V?)

Precision platformers (2)
Celeste
Ori and the Blind Forest

Pin collecting (1)
The World Ends With You

(EDIT: Whoops, you missed the 2010 cutoff!  Well in release date, not for me.)

Also, differences from my list: I flash-upgraded Phoneix Wright: Dual Destinies to a 9/10 and downgraded Mass Effect 2 & Heavy Rain from 9/10.  Heavy Rain seems plainly worse than Zero Time Dilemma, say, and ZTD is only an 8/10.  There's a few other 8/10s I could see shading upward (maybe Diablo 3 in the multiplayer category?  Hollow Knight for a Metroidvania representative?) but eh.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:13:00 PM by SnowFire »