imageRegister

Author Topic: 2022 games in review  (Read 835 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
2022 games in review
« on: December 31, 2022, 07:56:25 PM »
What games did y'all play in 2022?

Previous years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: 2022 games in review
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 10:27:29 PM »
30. Mega Man Zero (GBA, 2002 (via Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, 2020))

I played all four Zero games this year, and they’ll appear pretty spaced out in this list.  Bringing up the rear is the original, which is probably additionally the worst game I’ve played in a while.  The seeds of what the series became are here, to be sure, but it’s utterly plagued by technical flaws that make it intermittently miserable and just kinda okay as a playthrough.  In particular the uneven difficulty and screen crunch issues are a hard thing to forgive: the bomb disarming mission is something I can’t imagine playing if you didn’t have all the cheats provided by the Legacy Collection (/emulators).
4/10

29. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (Switch, 2021)

I played a wild amount of Pokemon this year, and this one brings up the rear.  Just an utterly uninspiring remake, easily the least interesting or improved they’ve ever done (which is like… five of them!).  There’s nothing actually, technically wrong with it even, just… there’s nothing to hang your hat on.  There’s just no good reason to play this instead of breaking out Platinum, but it’s also like… not a BAD game so… here we are.
6/10

28. Pokemon Ultra Sun (3DS, 2017)

Revisiting Gen 7 was neat, because I’d forgotten most of it, but also I can’t be sure in some cases what was changed for Ultra and what was native to Gen 7 generally.  Truthfully the main thing I actually noticed was that I extremely prioritized multi target moves in this, because holy shit the slowdown that hits when a battle is more than 1v1.  Otherwise I know this is missing a few touches that were cool in the original Sun/Moon, which is a shame, but it’s still alright.

6/10

27. Mega Man X (SNES, 1994 (via Mega Man X Legacy Collection, 2018)

What I remember most about MMX is not the opening stage (although yeah, I get it) but more the interesting way the upgrades work.  Because I played this after MMZ, I was used to having the dash, but MMX1 (uniquely among MMX) does not start you off with the dash.  And it’s interesting because it actually feeds into the narrative of the game too:  MMX could be played like a classic Mega Man game, and it’d be balls hard but plausible.  But by making that core mechanic an upgrade, they (probably accidentally) instead added a lot to the arc of X being an evolution of the classic bot, someone who starts with the same skills dropped into a more advanced environment, but able to advance himself in order to catch up with, and eventually surpass, his foes.  It’s pretty cool.
Game as a whole is… it shows its age, especially playing a bunch of other similar but later made games in the same month or so stretch, but I get why this rocked people’s worlds back in the day too, and why people who know it more intimately can replay it endlessly.

6/10

26. Mega Man Zero 2 (GBA, 2003 (via Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, 2020))

Fundamentally this is an updated MMZ1 that’s figured out how better to color within the GBA’s lines while continuing the story.  And really that’s actually the most fascinating bit of MMZ, because it is actually genuinely good at looking at the Mega Man timeline and injecting this corner of it with pathos.  Unfortunately there just isn’t that much else going on here, so it’s kinda a bit nothing as a game overall, but you can see the series starting to take shape.  But it must have been something else playing this thing on original hardware.

6/10

25. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PSP, 2010)

Knowing this is a remake, and seemingly a fairly faithful one, makes it interesting to think about. I think the engine they rebuilt it in is a very distinct flavor of action RPG, highly focused on aggro play, but the bosses and power up retain a distinctly Zelda-like feel that require slowing down way more than moment to moment play would lead you to.  It’s not a flaw exactly, but it does give the game a weird sense of internal tension, which compounds the fact that one mode of play is a lot more fun than the other to me.

6/10

24. Transformers Devastation (PS4, 2015)

I have to admit I’m not sure what to say about this one.  It’s just… y’know it exists.  It’s just trying to bring a little Platinum type flair to Transformers and mostly it works.  It’s very weirdly structured, like at some point it was a much longer game, but on the other hand I’m not entirely sure it could have sustained a longer campaign really so who knows.  But what it goes really, really well is be a great nostalgia bomb, really nailing the vibe of what that era of Transformers could be in little bits once in a while for an entire game.

6/10

23. Mega Man X4 (PS1, 1997 (via Mega Man X Legacy Collection, 2018))

I probably shorted my understanding of the game by only playing Zero’s route, but on the other hand it was kinda wild to play this game with him with the same basic tool assists I played MMZ with and just crushing it.  There was nothing left, game melts before the might of those combos.  Anyways skipping straight from MMX1 to 4 definitely was a whole thing because yeah, the series really found its own vibe and aesthetic in that interval.  But yeah, playing this I definitely get why Zero was the one that got spun off here, he’s fun and he makes for a much more interesting contrast when dumped into a new setting than X would.

6/10

22. Fuga: Melodies of Steel (Switch, 2021)

I feel a little bad about putting Fuga so low actually, it’s very unique and I think most people should give it a shot.  But it doesn’t fully click for me.  Partly this is just on me, the way it asks you to strategize involves a lot more playing around with the PCs and finding out what the statuses do than I normally indulge in for this kinda game, and partly the game being just kinda flabby in the middle.  Where it’s strongest is in the overall tone and aesthetic and the mood it sets, and the extended period in the middle chapters where you fight a Doberman of the week and recruit a new PC just kinda strings that along without really building very well on what came before.  Once the plot comes back around I appreciate the twist, even if perhaps it’s laid on a bit thick, but there’s definitely a wait there.

6/10

21. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (PS3, 2014)

I have to admit I just don’t remember much of nothing about Escha & Logy all these months later.  I remember feeling like the cozy work comedy was a bit at odds with the Dusk setting, and it was sorta funny that Escha’s tail accessory was alive, and that it was really weird the game kinda vaguely shipped Escha and Logy at the end.  Yeah.  I know this was very typical Atelier which goes roughly here and that’s… about it!  Sorry.

6/10

20. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (PS3, 2015)

Shallie tries to find the tone balance between Ayesha and Escha & Logy and… I guess.  The Dusk trilogy overall kinda peaked early, but there’s nothing especially objectionable in Shallie.  It just lacks any real hook to call its own.  The combat manages a pretty good balance for 95% of the game, only to just turn to bullshit against the final bosses where I don’t *get* what you’re supposed to do to get strong enough to overcome that thing’s regen.

6/10

19. Mega Man Zero 4 (GBA, 2005 (via Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, 2020))

I admit I may have just been a bit burned out from too much Mega Man playing this one, but it is a bit of a step down after 3 which played a part.  Z4 is the only of the Z games to really feel like a sequel in terms of introducing new mechanics or changing up the old and fundamentally changing the scenario up somewhat.  And in terms of being a good followup to Z3 and making it feel distinct but also feel like a good finale to the series, it does all of that very well.  But the new mechanics… exist.  I’m also glad I wasn’t playing honestly because engaging properly with the new upgrade system, where you have to farm scrap from enemies and forge the upgrades?  Nah.  It’s still more refined on a core control and stage design level than the first two, hence its spot here, but it’s overall just kinda a decent, but not amazing, game.

7/10

18. This Way Madness Lies (Steam, 2022)

Shiny new Zeboyd game!  So there’s not really as much of a joke underwriting this one as the Cthulhu games, but I do think the banter is a bit better than some other of their games so that’s neat.  The gameplay is still iterating on the basic system from Cosmic Star Heroine, which works pretty well overall.  I do think the more restrictive party choice and being a bit more on-rails with the dungeons blunts a bit of that system at times, because you don’t really get many opportunities to play around and learn how different PCs synergize together, rather than how to make their skillsets synergize with themselves.  Still, overall a pretty good time.

7/10

17. Radical Dreamers (via Chrono Cross Radical Dreamers Edition, Switch, 2022)

Holy shit, guys, CHRONO CROSS MAKES SENSE NOW.  It’s all like, quantum, multiple choice past, the present is fixed, the endings are written before the rest of the story, but the past changes based on what is necessary for the next plot beat to play out.  Is Gil Magus?  Sometimes!  Others he’s an agent of death, others he’s Riddel’s childhood crush, others still he’s a comedic prop.
Okay back to this actual video game I actually played.  You can tell this is actually a 1995 SNES Satelleview game with some lightly updated fonts and backgrounds, but what’s here works really well within that.  You’re meant to download it, blast through an ending or two, then try and collect them all before the game ends its transmission period (whatever that would have been back in the day).  You can kinda tell its origins as something the CT team made to blow off steam and let ideas run while and as simple and repetitive as it can be because of that, its willingness to go off the rails is a lot of fun.

It’s not the best game I played this year, as the number up there indicates, but it’s the one that had the most catharsis in a weird way.  7/10

16. Cthulhu Saves Christmas (Steam, 2019)

This might be my favorite Zeboyd game that’s purely theirs.  I think having a smaller cast was a boon for the CSH style of abilities, and the much more focused riffing on Persona gives the comedy a lot more structure than the little bit of everything most of their other work goes for.  The pun game is also really chef’s kiss here.  I have to admit I don’t remember any of the like… bosses or other gameplay specifics at this point, but I so vividly remember just really having a lovely and chuckle-filled afternoon with this that this still feels about right at the middle of the list.

7/10

15. Pokemon Scarlet (Switch, 2022)

It is a crying shame that this game was released 6 months before it was ready because I really like the overall structure, plot, and vibe of this, more than I’ve liked a mainline Gen game since… fuck, at least XY, and that had a different set of issues.  But yeah, I could absolutely nitpick about stuff (I wish they’d implemented badge-based level scaling for the gym leaders, the Team Star bases could use some work, I wish there was better mapping for underground regions) but it feels kinda irrelevant because I just love that there’s so much to do and a good variety of stuff going on.  Unfortunately as noted any praise for this game really does have to be tempered by the unacceptable state it was in on release: I started this game up when the first patch dropped, and it still has some slowdown in battles if there’s background elements like weather, the way it handles npcs/out of battle pokemon during battles is awkward, and the stop motion animation they used for “background” npcs is just comically overdone, you have to be right up in something’s face for them to animate right.  Like I am not one to care about how pretty something is, but… look, when you aren’t trying to run the prettiest game in the room, the reason you do that is because you’re prioritizing performance, as well you should!  So to do that and still get just a mess in terms of running smoothly and swiftly, what are we doing here y’all?

But still?  8/10

14. Planescape Torment (Switch, 1999)

This didn’t hit quite like it might have a couple years ago, both because of the fall from grace of its primary creator and because I played it a few months after a game directly inspired by it that smoothed out so many of its rough edges it’s not funny.  But on the other hand, I enjoyed it a lot MORE than I would have in 2007 when strangers from the internet shoved a pile of install discs into my hand so who’s to say if my timing is good or bad.
Okay so like… fundamentally this game is not well designed.  It has about 100% more combat than it should, there’s just no middle ground between “an interesting build to play the game and get the most out of it” and “enjoyable combat”, you swing wildly from constant deathly struggle to ‘lol cloudkill’.  The loss of the entire party for the final segment makes the whole affair a complete slog.  There is so much stuff that could smooth out combat a LITTLE that’s just utterly missable.
But when the game DOES work, damn y’all.  The world is so willing to just be weird and lovely and to be hostile but only on the surface.  Once someone tells you how to play the game right, the capacity to just talk your way out of every problem and charm your across the planes trying to do good is neat.  The game is so willing to ask a question and just… let it hang.  I do wish it was a little better at drawing your attention to some stuff, because a lot of things are simply described via text and the display for text is tiny, but yeah.

8/10

13. Super Robot Wars X (Switch, 2018)

I watched a whole buncha anime because I’d decided to play this and wanted to prepare, and have a few more on deck because they got nice shiny new releases after that point.  I am watching perhaps too much mech anime now, is what I’m saying.
Anyway at some level I find it hard to compare SRW to anything but other SRW.  Like… it’s a strategy game, with a little RPG to it, and it hands me giant robots that punch armies to death in a giant chain.  X, within that intra-series comparison, has an uncommonly strong Original plot.  Good build up, good series choice to compliment it, and a really nicely handled twist with Spero.  Still not as good as T which… is kinda becoming my platonic ideal of SRW as I play more of them, but still.

8/10

12. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge (Switch, 2022)

Y’all, this game has such a sublime blend of simplicity and creating the feel that you’re doing something complex.  Like I assume I’m bad at the game because I am bad at most video games, but I was still able to play April the whole game and do like a ground to air to ground combo that was satisfying and effective.  There’s multiple sets of collectibles, but the way they’re spaced out makes it pretty clear where you missed them so you can easily pick them up. The designs are evocative of the first cartoon but have a lot more personality and manage to make all the characters look like they can fight even if they aren’t the main four.  But yeah like… if you have ever at any time had any affection for brawlers I have to recommend this.

8/10

11. Mega Man Zero 3 (GBA, 2004 (via Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, 2020))

Mega Man Zero in general has a very consistent tone, vibe, and way of telling its story across the four games, but it’s easiest to talk about that in 3.  There is another game after this, but as noted earlier it’s much more of a proper sequel that happens after a pause in the action and a shift in where the story is going. Zero 3 meanwhile is bringing home the plot of the first two, where one scared, determined girl who made an innocent but crucial mistake tries to save people who aren’t even of her race from annihilation by seeking out a legendary hero and miraculously finding him.  People often talk about how games of the 16 bit era were good at telling complex stories with a minimum of dialog, but I find that most of the cited examples of this don’t actually deliver.  Being made a generation later though, the Zero series really brings it home, and the implications and relationships that are in many ways brought to a conclusion in Zero 3 stuck with me for quite a while after I wrapped it up.  And of course, Zero himself really concludes his character arc from the X series here.  I honestly kinda wish the last phase of the final boss was its own stage/check point, because it’s clearly an intensely complex fight that I wish I could tackle fresh and really learn its nuances, rather than… y’know burning all my healing elves because I just came off two other bosses, one of which is pretty meaty in its own right.

8/10

10. Meta Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3, 2013)

The end of this game is so fucking memorable and memeable and just truly a little delight.  The parts before that are… there’s good stuff but it’s kinda just there really?  But yeah as a video game MGR is pretty good but as an experience there IS a reason the game keeps coming back around every year or three to remind everyone what a prophet Kojima is.  I dunno if I have deeper thoughts though oddly, considering how many I burned on Mega Man Plot, but here we are.

8/10

9. Deltarune Chapter 2 (PC, 2021)

Oof, I played Deltarune chapter 2 11 months ago and I’m confident on its placement but not on what happened in it now.  Oh, wait, no, now I remember.  It taught me that Toby Fox thinks all dinosaurs are gay (he is correct), that Noelle is goals, and that I look forward to just spending more time with the cast more than really seeing how this plot plays out at this point.  Suzie goes from a particularly blatant bully to clearly coming around in the first chapter to just starting off as The Best here in chapter 2.  And right now, at this early point in the game, that’s the main take away, because so far the chapter ending swerves do kinda feel intended as cliffhangers first and foremost, which… yeah I dunno, I am not truly hooked by that, but since I’m already on board it doesn’t matter much.

8/10

8. Pokémon Legends Arceus (Switch, 2022)

I’m not entirely sure how I ended up playing so much Pokémon this year, aside from the cursed death march that Game Freak has been placed on.  But overall this is probably the single best Pokémon game ever released.  Still flawed, and I’m not sure a direct followup would be able to address some of the flaws here, but the added dimension that stalking and catching wild ‘mons without having to always resort to battle is something the series has needed for a while.  The overall flow of the story and gameplay is really nice, but because of the changes in the battle system fighting other trainers is a bit of a chore.  The game is intensely rocket-tag oriented so they tend to turn into a series of revenge kills, which is a bit of a mood killer.  The flip side though is against wild Pokémon or the major battles the speed of the system is a big boon, so I’m not sure how entirely to refine this in a potential sequel.  Though of course they could add a toned down version of the catching mechanics of course.  Actually I’m surprised that Gen 9 didn’t.  I’ll blame the death march release schedule.

8/10

7. Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Switch, 2022)

I’m pretty sure the writers were following the Twitter discourse for Three Houses very closely, and put a lot of thought into how to best tell all the Edelgard haters they were wrong and state plainly all the things her fans noticed in the margins by digging through supports and question box responses.
Cheek aside I should note that I’ve only played Scarlet Blaze, so the most significant new and different story beats are mostly stuff I didn’t see because it’s in Golden Wildfire.  Within what I did play this is still quite a good game.  A bit of a repetition of stuff I’d learned from the first, but the new way the story unfolds has some nice parts, and while I’m not sure how much I want to have a bunch of 45 hour musou story routes (hence why I’ve only played one route so far) it’s a breezy enough play.  Obviously the biggest draw is Shez, and while their personal plot is kinda… there, they do bring a lot to the table as a different sort of sounding board from Team Therapist Byleth.  Like, yeah, this absolute dumbass brings a lot of fun dynamics out of the rest of the cast, and honestly the biggest disappointment is I do feel like Byleth kinda gets left in the cold in the process.  Which makes sense from a production standpoint (every Byleth line has to be paid for twice after all) but I do kinda miss their post-teaching personality quirks.  But yeah, what’s in the game is all very good, if not quite so good as (and very dependent upon) Three Houses proper.

8/10

6. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut (Switch, 2021)

What to say about Sam Vimes Simulator this time I wonder.  At some level this is the one I had the most trouble placing, because I feel like I’m looking more at its overall quality here than how much I, personally, enjoyed playing it.  Playing Torment later in the year helped some, because seeing that direct line of inspiration helped make sense of some of its choices in the design.  Most choices not being final, being able to play more freely with your skill distribution, seeing what skills you’re rolling for even the most unlikely outcomes so you can decide if it’s worth the risk or perhaps to build up skills and try again later, that stuff all makes perfect sense as a proper evolution of the sort of game those late 90s/early 00s RPGs were doing.  And similarly knowing its inspirations, the shift from alignment to ideology having a big impact on what the Detective will and won’t do is a really neat update.  I also appreciate a lot how the tone is balanced.  Disco Elysium is very melancholic, with a pervasive air of failure over almost everything.  Everyone, all of Revachol, has been defeated and has fucked up a lot, the Detective most of all.  Maybe fucked up too much to ever truly recover.  But despite that, the world is still full of beauty, and connection, and impossible things, so perhaps things needn’t always be so defeated and doomed to fail.
Which does highlight some of the weirder choices in the game.  Like, having the option to adopt Fascism makes sense as a counterpart to earlier games letting you be Chaotic Evil, but dedicating real effort to having the Detective adopt Measurehead’s bizarre racism along the way and insult all his closest allies in the process… why spend effort that way.  For all the doomed causes you can fight for, why can’t I push back more against the other cops bitching about me letting Klaasje go (read: not getting her killed).  It’s not like… a crippling flaw just… it raises the kind of questions that take you out of the experience just a little bit, and that can make you a bit more clinical in assessing a game like this.  Everything people say about Disco Elysium is true just… yeah, it’s only pretty good for me.

8/10

5. Get in the Car, Loser! (Steam, 2021)

I got thinking about something the other day and this game is a good opportunity to build on it.  Chapter 3 of the game has Sam retreating into her own head, meaning that in between combat everything is her own internal monologue, by which I mean a litany of her anxieties about being a trans woman who feels unworthy of affection and her own femininity, let alone to be included on this world-saving quest.  And y’know it hits hard and is real and resonant and it makes sense for Sam to be preoccupied with that sorta thing both in this situation and at this point in the story.  Girl is a complete disaster.
But it’s also just… not really what the game is best at and what the story as a whole is about?  Get in the Car, Loser! is tremendously focused on fighting the small battles, not leaving people behind because you have to trust in the process and let fate play out.  And while I don’t doubt that these are thoughts Love has dealt with in her own life, sitting with it there’s also something… kinda obligatory about it.  Can’t have a queer focused game about queer life and queer joy that doesn’t also stop dead to being raw and real and show you how hard it can be to be a queer person doncha know.  Like… so much of this game is the cast finding those little reminders of the damage the Machine Devil is doing already, now, before it’s even achieved a fraction of its true strength.  It’s why we’ve stolen the sword of legend and gone to fight afterall.  But still gotta have a solid chunk of the game that is just the “real” stuff.
But honestly that’s partly just the last 11 months of sitting with it and seeing the world around me discourse and converse about other art entirely.  Like, nobody played this and presumably no one will based on my recommendation, but having this game which is so focused on living and joy still have to stop dead because art gotta be painful sometimes?  It’s just this nagging thing in a game that’s otherwise really well balanced.  And even then… yeah it is still a shot of verisimilitude into the game, I can’t just knock on it entirely.

8/10

4. Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3, 2014)

ToX2 has a pile of structural flaws that mostly stem from what I have to think is insecurity about its status as an asset-reuse based sequel.  Well, that and being a Tales game therefor obligated to have a terrible and soul-crushing final dungeon.  But everything else really seizes on the chance to build on what ToX had, and across the board there’s just so much to like there.  The entire cast benefits from being able to start fresh character arcs, either because their original outings were unimpressive or because the original game didn’t make much space for them and this game, being more character focused, did.  But most of all they created a good kid character and did a good job building out the relationship between her and the lead, meaning all the places the story needs you to go later feel natural.  Of course Victor does the things he does, and of course the game’s endings are what they are.  But most of all I have to praise chapter 12, which is possibly the best depiction of grief I’ve ever seen in a video game, and certainly the best Tales has ever pulled off.  Honestly the rest of the game has all the strengths and flaws of any Tales game, but that scene pretty much by itself put it real far up the list.

8/10

3. Live a Live (Switch, 2022)

I have to admit that at some level, what’s doing it for me with Live a Live remake is just… being this Yoko Shimomura soundtrack I’d only ever heard in passing, getting to hear so much mostly-unfamiliar stuff from her in a new context is a big value unto itself.  But even without that there’s just… a lot of little moments that come along frequently to always keep you invested and open to new and different emotions.  You could probably argue that the individual stories being very of their genre is a knock but… kinda a half-truth I’d say?  Like, about half the stories are pretty basic, but the other half have a bit more going on that they strictly had to in order to fit into the genre-based micro-stories.  All of which softens you up for the ending, which really just does everything right.  They even made a new song!  It’s good stuff.

9/10

2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (Switch, 2022)

Zero, much like the previous entry, is very good at maintain a steady stream of emotional beats to keep you in the mindset the game is going for.  It has two core advantages, wildly divergent ones funny enough: as part of a long-running series, it can build on previously earned emotional beats, and simultaneously as a more cinematically minded game it can spend a lot more time building up a particular mood when it wants to change gears.  Trails from Zero gets to do all kinds of cheating by making Renne a major supporting character, able to expand upon the backstory already laid out for her as well as tying current events and the backgrounds of new characters into it.  Which isn’t to diminish those new elements: Tio is great (and also one of the most strongly neuro-divergent coded characters I’ve ever seen, which is cool) and the aspect of the Tragic Backstory she draws from has a lot of different facets from the ones Renne’s does.
Meanwhile the way the game handles the slow burn reveal of how deep the conspiracy goes (not that it actually gets to the bottom!  But you wouldn’t know how much deeper it is from the way the ending plays out) then shifts gears to the tension of trying to beat back, escape, then decapitate the forces sent against you is something else.  As hinted at, Zero also has the benefit of being a very complete game in itself that just leaves plenty of space to expand, rather than the normal Trails thing of injecting a catastrophic cliffhanger at the very end of part 1 of a set.  It’s also a clear jumping on point despite some of its best scenes calling back to older characters, so you can see why this tends to get a lot of added praise in the series rankings.  Overall well-deserved too, for whatever that’s worth to people.

9/10

1. NieR Automata (PS4, 2017)

I feel like I’ve told pieces of this story, but not the whole story.  This one will get a Content Warning for Suicide, although in fairness so does NieR Automata so y’know.
I actually started playing Automata when it came out, seeing as I’d previously played NieR and Automata by most counts was even better and certainly played even harder into my personal biases.  Gimme them robots.  But that means I was playing it in mid-2017, and I was severely not okay in mid-2017.  Like, okay.  I spent most of my adult life with very low key suicidal ideation.  Just, y’know, you walk down the street and think how actually, nothing’s really stopping you from stepping out into traffic, and really probably that might be better?  But eh, you can’t know for sure, best not to dwell on it.  Everyone thinks that way sometimes, surely.
(I would only learn much later they do not.  One problem was, every friend I was close enough with to talk to in a serious and emotional manner also dealt with either similar issues to myself, or with cPTSD.  Hurray sampling biases!)
The period from mid-2017 to late July 2018 was not that.  It was much more in the vein of “I had to stay late at work and spent two hours telling myself I should scope out trees I can crash into on the way home that would do me in”, crossing from what I tend to describe as passive ideation to the planning stage.  Or just the random, if deniable, urge to do violence to myself on the spot, usually involving kitchen knives.
Back to this fun video game, the so in mid-2017 I played through the A route of Automata.  However, at the tail end of that route the game delves into religiosity and cult behavior (if you just… don’t know anything about NieR Automata, you fight a lot of cute murder robots that are also all trying to crack philosophical concepts, and late in the first route you find the ones that were trying to invent religion).  And while plenty of them just try to kill you, the ones that retain their senses instead try to follow through on their cult’s teachings and Become As Gods.  They throw themselves into smelters, impale themselves on their swords, they talk to one another about how scared they are of this process in the background.
On sheer momentum I finished this part of the game, because it was the start of a play session and there’s seriously maybe 45 minutes of boss fighting after you get out of that factory.  And then I had to STOP.  I was NOT OKAY.  Now, in part yeah, I knew the game got more personal and kept up similar themes after that, so this was partly precautionary, but… yeah, I just Could Not at that time.  So, a year and change after that I did clear that problem right up because turns out most of my depression expression was tied up in Gender stuff and oh, well fuck that got way easier to deal with as Gender was dealt with.  But life happens, and then I loaned out my PS4 for a while, and of course the Plague got us all fucked up, so it just sat on a shelf for a few years until I went “y’know what I played like half this game, let’s get it done dangit”.
So I don’t think anything in B route or the endgame hits in quite the same manner as Become as Gods, but in a lot of ways that’s to its benefit.  The downbeat portions are more personal and have more texture because they’re tied up in the character drama, and the game is more clearly setting up for its final thesis by then.  And even setting aside just… the way bittersweet endings of trying to make a difference, only to have the trauma that inflicted cause the 9S (I mean lots of characters, but let’s be real it’s 9S) to piss on that and instead keep digging further into the hole?  NieR Automata in the end is just screaming that in spite of everything, all of this does matter, that there is a way to give yourself a chance, that the impact you have can be reciprocated.  I can’t think of many endings of anything I’ve ever seen that hits quite the same way as those opening notes of Weight of the World in Ending E.  It’s so rare for endings to be the best part of a video game, because endings are hard, but… here we are.
I wish that someway somehow, that I could save every one of us, but the truth is that I’m only one girl.

9/10
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 03:32:25 AM »
5. The DioField Chronicle (Playstation 4, Square Enix, 2022)

Played about four hours of this. It's... okay? Like not aggressively bad at anything, I suppose. Gameplay is a bit SRPG meets real-time-strategy; Fudo compared it to Suikoden 5's army battles and yeah that works. It's fine, but gets a bit stale, and encounter design's not great.

Story-wise I didn't get far enough to say but the paint-by-numbers political plot wasn't exactly inspiring; "political" plots which seem to be trying to actively avoid saying anything political don't exactly appeal to me in 2022.

It's not terrible but I realized that I wasn't really enjoying it any more than 13 Sentinels, and if I was gonna complete one I should complete the latter since a lot more people seem to actually like that one.

4. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Playstation 4, Vanillaware, 2019)

Honestly I feel pretty similarly about this game to the previous. The gameplay's even worse. Utterly put me to sleep, and also extremely ugly. It's a game I just wanted the gameplay to end as quickly as possible, and debated between lowering the difficulty to make it end faster or whether I should maintain challenge in the hopes it eventually grabbed me. In around six or seven hours it never did.

The story's certainly a lot more intriguing than DioField though. I bet I would have lapped it up 20 years ago. As is... eh. I was enjoying it, but not loving it. Reminds me of Uchikoshi but the moment-to-moment writing wasn't as compelling, and the "fight against invaders in the future" sequences of the story are pretty boring.

I appreciate that the game had explicitly queer characters. I don't appreciate the cast being all teenagers who are randomly naked inside their mecha.

*massive jump*

3. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (Switch, Ubisoft, 2022)

This was very good! More Rabbids, which is always great. Character balance is certainly better than the first game, and so is character choice; there are no longer team restrictions for most fights, you can choose any three.

I appreciate that the game isn't just a copy of the first, even though it's obviously similar: the different way team jump works gives the game a rather different feel. But overall if you liked the first, you'll probably like this one; it's more of a good thing.

I think this game is a bit weaker than the first, and that's mostly because the encounter design isn't as good. Some of the fights are even randomized in terms of enemy position so difficulty ends up feeling very variable and not quite as clever, but the core system is good enough that it's a lot of fun anyway; plotting out the best way to navigate each turn between all the movement options you have is a lot of fun.

Rating: 8/10

2. Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Switch, Nintendo/Koei Tecmo, 2022)

I mean it's a second game starring Edelgard, Dorothea, and Hubert, so it was obviously a day 1 purchase and something I was pretty sure I would enjoy.

I did enjoy it! Easily the best warriors game for writing, it's actually a serious Fire Emblem game when it could easily have just been dumb fanservice (like Heroes or the first Warriors). Basically, in case you didn't think the four timelines of the first game are enough, here are three more, and once again it's enjoyable to watch what the characters (who reamin outstanding) do in certain situations. We get more supports (they're still great), more excellent voice work, more of what I liked about 3H.

Its story is in a bit of an odd place in that, while it's solid enough (aside from one route kinda sucking and all routes not having very compelling endings), it completely leans on the first game, in a way I've basically never seen a game do before. This game would make no sense without a bunch of stuff from the first, and you basically have to assume a lot of character growth happens off-screen. I'm not personally too bothered by this, but it's worth mentioning.

Gameplay is fun enough in that Warriors way. The map control elements continue to matter less and less, and combat arts / magic being spammable makes the game very easy most of the time, and none of the enemies are that engaging, so it doesn't win any awards on this front, but I still had fun with it, and I liked playing as all my favourites using a bunch of different fighting styles. The class system is excellent and guarantees you can find fun ways to use your faves.

Soundtrack of the year, too.

Rating: 8.5/10

1. Triangle Strategy (Switch, Square Enix, 2022)

I debated how to order the top three games this year (all are good), and ended up settling on Triangle Strategy in the top spot because it's the best-balanced game of the bunch; it both has good writing and good gameplay.

Triangle Strategy can be thought of as a a modernized FFT without the class system, but that's a pretty major change. Arguably it's closer to Tactics Ogre; you have choices, the plot is pretty political, and you generate your resources by turns (simply gaining 1 BP per action). Hard to argue it doesn't completely eclipse Tactics Ogre, though!

Gameplay first: it's a solid SRPG, and while it doesn't have a class system, every character is individually distinct and brings different things to the table (similar to something like Wild Arms 4, only a SRPG). Exp is very heavilly curved so it's even reasonable to use a large team, subbing in characters whose skills lend themselves more to certain fights. Individual battle design is solid, too. My biggest complaint is the skill system (presented as a crafting system): too many permanent choices with limited information, and a clunky interface which requires a lot of shopping trips. Oh well.

Writing-wise it's certainly very solid. While the main character is a bit bland, the three most important supporting characters, who largely compete in their visions for how to guide your party, are all very well-done, and make the branching choice system a lot of fun to navigate. While most choices are temporary, there is a big permanent branch later in the game, and the choices are generally good, asking you what you stand for. The voting system helps make the choices feel like ones made by the team instead of just an omnipotent player, and also reward knowing the characters better, so that's neat. This is probably the best spin "your choices matter" I've seen in a game, something many games promise but few deliver so well.

The politics stuff is pretty solid too. There's no demons or monsters here, just humans warring over ideology and resources, even if one faction ends up incredibly baby-eating. For a game that could easily be too much about big important nobles (as these games often are), the plight of common and/or oppressed people ends up central to many decisions (including the most important ones). Having played a couple other games this year which treat "smallfolk" with little more than pity or contempt in their tales of Great Men, I look back on this game as having done much better on this front, in particular as it asks how much one should sacrifice in search of social justice.

Rating: 9/10

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 01:15:57 PM »
For Triangle: Even for the faction that ends up as complete monsters, their path at least shows *why* taking that route makes sense and why it would lead to stability for a majority of the world. Literally the only real drawbacks I can say for the game is that the golden path is a bit FAQ baity and some of the PC's are kind of obnoxious to get. It really hit gameplay and story out of the park; it even managed to make all the optional training fights fun and did a fantastic job balancing NG+.

Rabbids and Triangle were both brilliant SRPGs with entirely different feels and approaches. I seriously can't complain in a year when I get two really kickass SRPGs to play.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 06:09:23 AM »
So...played a LOT of games, did not finish many of them.  Will go down the list, I suppose, but I won't be ranking them in any order, more of just order played I guess for games that were...enough, I suppose?

Elden Ring: Yeah, I know.  Is it GotY material?  Dunno, but my friend was streaming it and I decided I wanted to play it from watching it, so I did.  Probably the single most newbie-friendly soulslike in existence, and it definitely helped me get back into that genre.  ER is notable in the variety of ways it can be approached, and while the game is essentially cooling down (There's a recent update, but it was PVP-centric), It's still a good time in my books.  It honestly got way better for me after I sat down, took a break, and started labbing things out rather than trying to brute-force one build.  It's not as tightly-tuned as the average soulslike, but I still consider it a good game.  I'll probably come back to this when I'm given a reason to, either via friends or New Content.

Monster Hunter Rise:Sunbreak THEY FIXED GUNLANCE'S DAMAGE.  AND BROUGHT BAZELGEUSE BACK.  AND GAVE US OPTIONS FOR MORE ARMOR TYPES FOR GUNLANCE USERS.  I know Capcom's playing me...but it's working.

Also Rajang can still go fuck itself.

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge: I don't think there's anything I can say that Elly hasn't.  It's a fun time, play it if you like punching a whole bunch of dudes.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous: Another IE-alike game for me to have crippling alt-itis in!  For better or worse, this game is quite faithful to PF1e rules.  So I won't be able to actually make big process on this one, but...look, it's pretty fun for me when I'm not having people literally try to force-feed me build advice in spite of me saying multiple times I do not want it.  Also Rowdy's an archetype invented for the CRPGs and it's fucking hilarious to watch a Rowdy 1/Vivisectionist 1 do straight-up 50-damage hits.  I'll probably come back to it at some point.

Freedom Planet 2: So, full admission, got into the first one because I was a genesis kid growing up.  As to where the second sits in relation to the first?  ...I'd say overall an improvement (notably, falling into a pit is now handled Gunstar style where you come back up but take some damage, and crushing deaths are rare), though character balance is...iffy in spots (Lilac generally beats out the other three by a wide margin for general usability), and it can take a long, long time if you're trying to thoroughly explore levels rather than speed through.  Probably the biggest turn-offs I could see for some is that it leans pretty heavily into callbacks to the first game, and for your first clear you are forced to run the story mode.

Cult of the Lamb WHY ARE ALL YOU CULTISTS SO INCOMPETENT THAT YOU NOT ONLY NEED ME TO BUILD AN OUTHOUSE, BUT ALSO TO PERSONALLY CLEAN IT.  AND WHY IS THERE ONE ASSHOLE WHO WANTS TO LITERALLY EAT SHIT.  ahem.  It's...aggressively okay.  Bit overhyped, but not a bad game.  Just that I've played better roguelites, and the cult management is...eh.  You'll pretty much unlock all the combat enhancements 3/4 through the game, and your actual challenge will be less of actually clearing the dungeon runs so much as making sure your cultists don't starve/get pissed off, which is likely done via a ritual.

Vampire Survivors: I was gifted this.  It's not an every time game for me, but sometimes when I'm in a distressed or super-depressed state I turn it on, and it's low-effort enough for me to at least put everything on hold and focus on becoming the bullet hell boss.  So it does what it needs to.

Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark: Finally made a deep dive on it.  It's honestly a good enough time for me, and I'm close enough to the end that I should push myself to get it done sooner rather than later.  I'm...not too engrossed by the story, but eh.  It's serviceable.  Scratches the FFT itch for me, and to its credit, it tries to encourage further development after you do get what you need with mastery bonuses.  Word of advice to anyone playing it, honestly, don't be afraid to use a guide to reference class unlock reqs, especially for the hidden classes that don't show theirs until you get the item.

Final Fantasy VII:Remake: I was one of the more skeptical sorts about this game when it was in development, due to being more than a bit critical about the ARPG setup, and fearing it would be like KH where it was essentially a single-character game with AI allies.  Let it be said I was pleasantly surprised, and I found myself riveted.  Love the development for characters, only real weak point I feel is the extra sewer filler rerun.  Seriously, we did not need an Abzu refight.  Pushed myself to do a full clear before I traded my PS4 for a PS5, but I will likely play it again before the next chapter comes out if it gives old save goodies.

Nioh 2: Another game that I've weirdly had alt-itis on.  Let it be said, my time on ER made entry on this a lot easier, but also there's just a LOT of fun options to play around with.  Easily the best combat of any soulslike I've played, bar none, and the mix of balancing out ki with trying to drain your enemy's ki, with managing stances, leads for a very in-depth experience even before you factor in ninjutsu, onmyojutsu, and entire skill trees for every single weapon option.  Also this is a game where you really, *really* do not want to fight fair, ever.  Bows and guns being as good as they are, plus talismans and bombs, means that you may not have to.  Good, good times.

Armored Core: In light of the TGA announcement of Armored Core 6, I decided to start doing a retrospective of the PSX and PS2 era AC games.  Imagine my surprise when AC1 honestly still holds up damn well.  It's comparably primitive compared to the other entries in the series; only blades for the left arm, no heat, but it honestly holds up well.  The plot is minimalist fromsoft fare, but it works, and bonus points for actually having branching paths, something I don't think comes up until Last Raven.  (Also dueling megacorps in a hellworld resonates probably more today than it did when it came out)  Also I had to get a new emulator to play this because the old one choked on the first mission reward screen I got.

Armored Core:Project Phantasma: Oh boy, this one.  Honestly, this one was the FF2 of Armored Core games, good as a museum piece but probably the worst of the lot.  Some of the missions are badly coded to where you can fail because an enemy stepped on a mine, and the arena opponents start cheating their asses off once you get past Rank 20.  Plot for this one is...the least AC but also you could see it as an extended mission.  Worst story, but honestly inventing the Arena is probably the most important thing this game does, so I can't hold too much of a grudge against it.

Armored Core:Master of Arena: The finale of the PSX AC trilogy, this one is more directly a companion piece to the original AC.  Answers some of the questions AC raised at the end, the arena is probably the best-integrated of the entire lot, and...it's good, honestly.  Shop isn't broken like PP's was, to boot, and none of the arena ACs run PLUS/Overweight.  Not sure I'd recommend it without playing AC first, though, you lose some impact without that.

Armored Core 2: Technically speaking, this one's a distant sequel to AC, taking place on Mars.  Arena's gone back to PP's format, and the physics are...weird.  Every AC has its own physics but AC2 is in a case where, well...your booster output is the most relevant thing for your mobility.  Still introduced a few other elements; extensions, 'inside' weapons, and of course, Overboost.  Really wants you to have a separate mech for missions than arena, because there's quite a few missions where you're just having *everything* shooting at you.  And that means you almost always want a machine gun.  Note: I'm skipping Another Age because it's a 103-mission-long generally plotless game.

Armored Core 3: The first reboot of the AC universe, this one's honestly a broad-strokes retread of 1 storywise, except with certain matters out in the open.  I kind of wish they went with the original name for the overseer AI here of DOVE, rather than "The Controller"; the latter is a bit too on the nose, you get the former showing up in its e-mails via emblem, and it pairs thematically with an entity in the next game.  Quads get walking animations, lighter ACs are much more usable again, and the gameplay is a lot faster.  On the minus side, the upper levels of the Arena honestly took cues from Project Phantasma, and there are some...obvious game-breakers.  Still a decent entry point.

Armored Core 3:Silent Line: Still in the middle of this one.  One good and two bad here...Good: Holy shit they're finally giving access to left-arm guns.  Not just howitzers, but guns of practically every type.  It's an amazing feeling.  Bad: Many of the new parts are FAQbait due to being under hidden conditions.  Also, some asshole decided that the giant robot game needed a forced stealth mission for...some reason.  I'm not happy about that one.  Easily worst mission in the game.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 07:56:13 AM »
Rapid-fire Games of 2022: In play order

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse (3DS) Rating: Great
Got the Bonds ending. Better than SMTIV.

Commander Keen 1 (Fan CK5-Engine Remake) (DOS) Rating: Uninspiring
Might be worth playing, once, if you're already a fan of CK1. Visual design is too busy.

Star Seeker In: The Secret Of The Sorcerous Standoff (Steam) Rating: Great
Light magic murder mystery adventure game which goes in for unique responses to you proposing each item in the vicinity/known type of magic/etc. as the murder weapon and so on. I loved it and want them to make another one.

Shardlight (GOG) Rating: Fine
Decent adventure game, have a note that some of the earlier puzzles are less than ideal but this is less of a problem later. Don't recall any specific examples of this unfortunately.

Paper Mario (Wii U VC) Rating: Fine
Good, but held back in some ways. Partially I think it needs better reaction & being-able-to-figure-out-when-TO-react capabilities than I can bring to the table.

stikir (Steam) Rating: Fine
Very short. Kind of an art game. Fine for what it is.

Nina Aquila: Legal Eagle, Season One (Steam) Rating: Fine
Ace Attorney-like built in RPG Maker with some questionable design choices. Goes in for having minigames tied in to investigation segments, the one for the third episode (of three) was pretty bad but thankfully they let you set them to be unloseable.

Triangle Strategy (Switch) Rating: Great
Probably the best game I played this year. Only mechanical downsides coming to mind are informational nice-to-have-hads more than anything else. Frederica ending was too good and makes me not want to see any of the others, which are almost certainly downgrades.

Al Emmo And The Lost Dutchman's Mine (Steam) Rating: Uninspiring
Fairly bad adventure game that I mainly only picked up because a podcaster I listen to did some voice work for it. Do not recommend.

Wild Arms 3 (PS2) Rating: Great
Very enjoyable, only complaints coming to mind are not being able to flee from sandcraft battles and the final boss sequence going on for much too long.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (Steam) Rating: Great
Balanced out my general incompetence by playing on easy, which is way overtuned in the player's favour at this point. (It won't last.) Main was a half-orc neutral-good fighter/cleric. Main party was Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Neera, and Xan.

Tembo The Badass Elephant (Steam) Rating: Fine
It's best when you get the chance to just rampage through things, but the game also kind of wants you to not do that a lot of the time.

The Preposterous Awesomeness Of Everything (Steam) Rating: Uninspiring
Another below-average adventure game. I like some of what the dev was going for but it ultimately feels kind of thrown together. Hopefully their more recent games are better.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition: Siege Of Dragonspear (Steam) Rating: Great
Still on easy, game mainly still easy. Updated main party: Corwin, Jaheira, Khalid, Neera, Glint. Game strikes a decent balance between open-worldedness & guided-tourness.

Wuppo (Steam) Rating: Great
Not sure of the best way to describe this, it's similar to a metroidvania but I don't know if it really counts as one. The gameplay is a little thin, to some extent it more wants to be an experience.

Star Ocean: First Departure R (Switch) Rating: Great
Side characters recruited: Cyuss, Ioshua, Mavelle, Pericci. Main issues are low overworld travel speed and having to walk that one mountain path so many times. Messed about with the crafting systems a lot more than I did when playing SO2 back in the day.

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition: Shadows Of Amn (Steam) Rating: Fine
Still on easy, around here the difficulty starts to be less aptly named. Things I dislike: Proliferation of ID & related effects e.g. brain removal; defences against defence-removal spells; L I C H E S.
Got the fighter stronghold and it seemed fairly pointless; on checking now it looks like I only saw 3 of 8 events. ...I'm not sure what the game was expecting from me here.
Updated main party: Imoen (eventually), Jaheira, Minsc, Neera, Aerie

Return To Monkey Island (Steam) Rating: Great
Entertaining, quite a few standout moments.

Mosaic Chronicles (Steam) Rating: Fine
Not as stylish as Glass Masquerade and also suffers from an issue where the mosaics are split into two stories, and the second story is three times as long as the first story. More variety would be nice. (I don't know if the devs plan on adding more content, but it feels like it would be easy to integrate more at least.)

C.A.R.L. (Steam) Rating: Great
Fairly short & breezy platformer with a variety of collectibles. Not a fan of sequences where you're platforming alongside a mirror version.

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition: Throne Of Bhaal (Steam) Rating: Fine
Mostly still on easy, but I ended up having to switch the difficulty to storymode for half of the final boss sequence. No change to the party.

Commander Keen 1 (actual) (DOS) (replay) Rating: Fine
Was considering doing a run with a randomizer but I didn't end up doing that.

Snail Trek (Steam) Rating: Fine for most episodes, Uninspiring for episode 2
Set of short adventure games. Goes to somewhat dark places later on.

The Journey Down: Chapter Three (Steam) Rating: Great
Finale to the series with a bunch of highlights. Better than the preceding games.

macdows 95 (Steam) Rating: Fine
Essentially a desktop with a bunch of features where there's a way to get an achievement in each, and the goal is to get all of them. Fine for what it is, mainly put me in mind of The Fool's Errand and made me want to replay it. Have not done that yet.

Guard Duty (Steam) Rating: Fine
Decent enough adventure game, some horror-oriented sections that I'm not a fan of.

Frog Detective 2: The Case Of The Invisible Wizard (Steam) Rating: Fine
Essentially a basic/whimsical adventure game in the same style as the first. Enjoyable enough.

A Museum Of Dubious Splendors (Steam) Rating: Uninspiring
You walk into exhibit rooms in a museum and are provided with a story which describes what the in-story characters generally consider some sort of amazing artifact, then afterwards see that the item in question was something like a pair of shoes. I don't mind it conceptually, but a) there's not really very much content and b) the rooms are arranged in a mazelike fashion which isn't really necessary. (And you can end up leaving before visiting them all as a result.)

McPixel 3 (Steam) Rating: Great
It's an array of micro-adventure scenarios that are often absurd. Personally that's right up my alley. The original McPixel got several free level packs over time so I'm hoping this one does as well.

Pokémon Scarlet (Switch) Rating: Fine
It has higher highs than Pokémon Sword, but I would say it was worse on average. That said, I only played Sword after all the DLC was available (got the physical release which had it all included), so they may not be being compared on an even footing.
Outside of the early game, level expectations and the economy are all messed up. The world map is far too large for what it contains. Team Star is somewhat incoherent.
But Koraidon is fun, and Area Zero content ends up being fairly moving.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
Somehow an even shorter list than than 2021.  I got really into book reading last year and did a bunch of that instead, I guess.

Good? (7-8ish/10)

4. Triangle Strategy? (Switch, 2022)

This is incomplete and I reserve the right to change the score, hence the intentionally vague ranking.  I'll defend some of its design decisions like intentionally rolling back character builds as a good change of pace compared to stuff like FE 3 Houses where you can make generic monster builds.  Sometimes, you need to restrict options to keep things spicy, although the mechanics of how FP work mean that you can only really afford to deploy 1-2 heavy FP users like mages since they've very dependent on the once-per-battle FP boost card to keep going.  And I like the more adult fantasy at parts, even if a bit wobbly in areas especially when it needs to make things always come back to the same status quo no matter how you allegedly "chose" before the narrative finally branches.

That said, it wasn't "gripping."  Whether this was me not being in the right mood and distracted, or the fault of the game, I'm not sure.  I still need to finish it and thus this is only a placeholder score.  But my tentative feel is that despite wanting to love the game, I only like it.

Great (8/10)

3. The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe (Steam, 2022)
Ranking this is a little tricky, because it's only, like…  50% game?  Not that it isn't interactive and a game, of course, but almost like some visual novels, you're to some extent playing a walking simulator and enjoying the comic stylings and philosophical musings of the creators.  Which are very, very good and very, very funny, so this is highly recommended if you have any interest in musings on games at all.  The New Content (TM) is excellent as well, but to be realistic, it's difficult for 2-3 hours worth of stuff to climb to 9/10 or 10/10 territory without being Portal-level amazing.

2. Metroid Dread (Switch, 2021)

Who'd a thunk that Metroid Fusion would get a direct sequel like 20 years later.  Good that Nintendo remembered 2D Samus exists, I guess (outside of remakes)?  Anyway, it's very good.  "Can you preserve a shinespark into this out-of-the-way spot" isn't my jam due to finding the rules on that arbitrary and unfun, so 100% is very much not my thing, but everything else is pretty solid.  I guess that some of the regions could have felt a little more "organic", but I respect that the magic of the Super Metroid map is hard to replicate.. some of the areas, like the green underground forest, were nice, but a few too many other areas were "generic lab."  I could do without the whole melee counters thing and would have balanced around Samus wanting to stay at range, but I guess that isn't the style anymore.  Also, I think the game feels like it's missing a big boss or two?  I'm not complaining about the minibosses, those are cool, but there are parts where it feels like there should have been some sort of Kraid-esque big boss and there just isn't, like the water region lacking a Draygon-equivalent.

1. Return to Monkey Island (Steam, 2022)

Both of our top two are new installments in old franchises that had some off-brand, less well-regarded stuff from 2005-2015?  Return to Monkey Island brings back Ron Gilbert who, amazingly, had his last Monkey Island game in 1991 (!) but is still into it.  Thankfully, he respects the cooler stuff added in Curse and Escape and doesn't just totally ditch the later work, although Tales seems (justly) ignored.  Anyway, it's a really sharp graphic adventure!  Lots of funny Monkey Islandy dialogue, lots of puzzles that are both crazy but mostly reasonably well-clued.  Additionally, there's a hint book built in, reducing the odds of spoiling yourself accidentally by looking at a walkthrough.  Chapter 4 in particular is great, definitely the highlight of the work they stuck in the game. 

My only real complaint is that I'm not a fan of the game's ending (or lack thereof), but I suppose this shouldn't be shocking for the team that gave us the ending to Monkey Island 2.

Notable replays::
* Civilization V, as usual.  Still a great game.
* Brigandine 2: Played through as Norzaleo on Hard in.  It was interesting, but the lack of army variety definitely dulls the desire for too much chain-replaying, even with some voluntary handicapping to build "themed" armies for the elements associated with the nation (Water & Holy in Norzaleo's case).
* Fire Emblem Three Houses: Made some more progress in my old Golden Deer Maddening playthrough, just I got to the point where I was pretty sure everything was wrapped up and nothing could stop me, so it's still technically not done.  But I have like 3 different backup plans for how to kill Nemesis which is the only thing that could possibly stop me at this point.

Unfinished:
* Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - Writing this up made me realize I left my GAA playthrough from last year still in limbo.  Returning to that now, definitely gotta finish this one up.