Register

Author Topic: 2020 games in review  (Read 1706 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
2020 games in review
« on: December 31, 2020, 07:22:40 PM »
The usual blah blah blah.  What games did you play in 2020 and why did they include a replay of Fire Emblem Three Houses?

Previous years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: 2020 games in review
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:38:40 AM »
Mm.  Not entirely happy with this, but whatevs.  On the upshot, at least I hit my 1 game per month target.

12. Final Fantasy Adventure (Gameboy, 1991 (Switch, 2019)

Maybe it’s the clarity of the modern screen (rather than being the original green-black and white of the actual GB), but I relaly appreciate the sprite work in this.  Everything is very identifiable and honestly looks better than most NES sprites I’m familiar with, despite more or less being at the same resolution.
Oh the rest of the game… uh well this is like the second most recent game on the list and I don’t remember most of it!  It holds up as well as an arpg of its vintage can I guess, and the skill swapping could be a lot worse.  I guess basically it’s an interesting exercise in how to work within your limitations to make something surprising, which hey, I’ll take that.
 5/10

11. Secret of Mana (Super Nintendo, 1993 (Collection of Mana, Switch))

~9 months out, and really what I remember is the sprite work in that early game.  I have no idea why this thing slipped right out my brain.  I mean sitting a bit longer I could *bitch* about it but… ehh?  It’s fine.  In some ways it feels more rough than the original, but only in that it feels less “this is the best possible version of this game” than the GB game did.
 5/10

10. Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch, 2017)

Camilla you can’t do this to me I’m too gay.
 6/10
I don’t normally play these sorta games, I set it to easy I think, it’s pretty alright but thinking about it is bad for appreciating it because it does some kinda… weird stuff with the plot talking about what “fine royals” the OCs are?  Anyway.

9. Trials of Mana (Super Famicom, 1995 (Switch, 2019))

Yeah so… hm.  This is probably gonna be the hardest to talk about because there’s a lot going on under the hood and also not going on under the hood but also it feels like the skeleton of a better version of itself?  Anyway so based on this the remake sounds like a good time, this is an okay time.  Extremely unobjectionable aside from the fact all three Mana games have weird map setups.
 6/10

8. Shining Force II (Genesis, 1993 (Sega Genesis Classics, Switch))

I’m super glad playing this inspired me to seek out the RPGLB speedrun.  A quick vocal of that final boss track really made the playthrough.
So I played half of this in… uh 2010?  2012?  But had to start over since that was a different system and blah blah and anyways this is pretty solid overall?  Like, it can drag a bit simply because there’s not anything ground breaking or anything here, but it falls into that really fun era of translations where they get juuuuuuust loose enough with the language that the silliness is very charming.
 6/10

7. Pokemon Sword (Switch, 2019)

Some of this is so, SO perfect and it’s really too bad the game around it feels a little… empty.  Like, focusing the game around the gym journey and really leaning into the fact it’s a professional sport with all the fanfare thereof?  When the game’s about that it really shines.  I love the rival slate, Marnie in particular is great, the presentation of all that is lovely.  But then they still try to shove a Team plot and interrupt the climax for a legendary showdown and ooof.
I’m not really thrilled with the Wild Areas honestly, and I think in some ways this is maybe the part that makes it feel off?  I dunno, what I do know is I haven’t looked at any of the DLC at all despite normally buying whole ass separate games to play third version so… here we are.
 7/10

6. Paper Mario (Nintendo 64, 2001 (WiiU VC))

One of several half-finished playthroughs I just buzzsawed in January, so I forget like… all of the first half.  And honestly that’s probably to the game’s benefit because it’s a slow start and then the back half really feels like PM2 in terms of humor which is nice.  Anyway it’s kinda janky on the whole but also y’know eventually it gets pretty broke so that’s fine.  But yeah I dunno, it’s got a lot of charming bits but I think it takes a while to find its footing, so this feels about right.
7/10

5. Cosmic Star Heroine (Playstation 4, 2017)

I kinda feel bad I didn’t play this sooner, in a way.  It never quite clicks like the first PA game did for me if I’m entirely honest, but it does feel like a deliberate next step in Zeboyd’s overall design ethos and the way it presents you with options to tweak feels a lot better than the A/B choices earlier games did.  I do think that it kinda ends up being “did you figure out the Actual Optimal Set for this PC”, but on the other hand hey, it’s not nearly punishing enough to demand you have the right answer so in that sense it’s a lot like any game except it lets you know that IS the question it’s asking of you.
It does have some weird shortcomings mostly along the lines of “I sure can tell they meant to go in depth here and hit a wall and decided to just ship it”, but none of them are crippling.
 7/10

4. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (Switch, 2020)

I kinda hate that I have this so high up because like… what do you say about Theatrhythm Kingdom Hearts?  It is what it is.  I mean yeah there’s an endgame plot or I could talk about some of the differences between them (I don’t think boss stages quite work, but the way the main stages mix battles and field in Tr parlance works nicely) but yeah, it only really lends itself to technical speak overall because it’s so what it is, and is hard to talk about except as contrasted with similar games. 
Oh but so it doesn’t really do the RPG thing nearly as hard as Tr, so there’s a lot more “get good loser” to it.  Granted the songs are much more similar to one another so there’s only like, 4 or 5 genuinely mean ass songs.
 7/10

3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch, 2019)

Miriam is great, this game is pretty great.  Honestly I think it might be my favorite Castlevania?  Allowing that maybe OoE is better, I dunno.  But yeah, this feels a bit more fluid and responsive than most of the Castlevania games, and while a little stiffness kinda works for them I think it does a good job setting itself apart because of it.  Honestly though the main thing setting it above the other 7/10 games I think is just the open cheesiness.
Bah, Months and months later and this is probably almost exactly what I originally said!
 7/10

2. Super Robot Wars T (Switch, 2019)

So this game asked if I was gay then immediately owned up to being a polycule all along.
 9/10
I’ve only played one other licensed SRW game, and J has a reputation as not especially cohesive, but even so the way all the elements of T gel is astonishing.  No series represented here feels out of place, the way the villain plots intersect feels competitive without being too busy, they managed to make the Original villain faction someone I looked forward to popping up because their face characters were just SO perfectly over the top in their trolling, and it even feels like it has some thematic heft, albeit a bit clumsy at times with the intended message.  Still, it’s so weird we live in a world now where even my shameless mega crossover cashgrab game also feels the need to contain overt anti-corporate messaging.  Sure, there’s a lot to be said about that being “safe” nowadays but seeing it crop up here, of all places is still a trip.

1. Tales of Berseria (Playstation 4, 2017)

Ha.  So I haven’t worked on it like… at all, but the thoughts are too complex for this space.
As a game Berseria is really messy to play.  I guess I at least get what the weakness system is supposed to be doing at least, so that’s nice.
Also that uh just doesn’t matter.  There’s a lot of weird notes through the game, particularly in the realm of “men/women are just like that”, but despite this the game reliably just goes for it.  There’s two or three ways to read the game that all feel somewhat intentional, and all of them overall land despite being a bit held back by some series tropes at times.  And I have to admit, it’s entirely too perfect that I got to finish out the gaming year on attacking and dethroning god and a fanatical church.
9/10
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:06:51 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 07:27:15 AM »
Insert obligatory 2020 sucks comment here.  Was very stressed during the summer which kind of disrupted my ability to play too many new games.  Luckily, there is some good stuff in here.

Meh(5/10)

8. Vice: Project Doom (Switch Online NES service, 1991)

I remember this getting some mild hype from Nintendo Power and retrogamers as one of the cool late-in-the-era NES games that went under the radar due to the SNES and Genesis.  It's just okay though, and that's with Switch online save states making it more sane to play - it'd have been downright aggravating on original hardware.  Some nice cutscenes for the era, though.  Quick, time to run off to Central America to beat up random drug smugglers working with aliens or something.

Okay (6/10)

7. Metal Unit (*Early Access beta) (Steam, ????)

This hasn't technically released yet, so take the score with a grain of salt.  It's a fun rouge-lite platformer where the main character runs around in a suit of power armor shooting and or slashing foes while picking up loot, then dying and getting to start from the beginning of the loot collection cycle again.  The fundamental gameplay loop is sound, as is the platforming, but the balance is very much out of whack (to level up, you basically have to die to be efficient; also, the weapon balance is really out of tune, with it being possible to get game-breaking weapons early).  Also, the translation and plot are basically meaningless trash.  However, both of these complaints might change before official release, so stay tuned I guess.

Good (7/10)

6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 (Steam, 2020)

Eh.  I really liked Curse of the Moon 1, in some ways more than Ritual of the Night.  Curse of the Moon 2 is more of the same, but with a mixed up cast!  I didn't feel quite the same pull, though.  I'm not sure if that's CotM2's "fault" or if I was just personally getting done-ish with my fill of NES-style platformers.  It's still a solid game, and I still need to do the second & third playthroughs that open up your party composition options more (got a bit into the second playthrough, at least). 

5. Among Us (Steam, 2018)

Well, the unofficial game of 2020 for the rest of the world during the pandemic.  It's pretty cool!  You really do need to play with other people you know in a voice chat, though, but maybe that was a low-key advantage the game had - encouraging people to do so via friend groups rather than with randos.

Great (8/10)

4. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark (Steam, 2019)

Indie budget Final Fantasy Tactics!  This is truly an indie game that knew what it wanted to do and did it - make a really solid, deep, and well-balanced battle system with a diversity of class and build options, and a solid enemy AI for the other team as well as lots of difficulty customization options.  The plot is serviceable but nothing special, and the graphics show its indie roots.  But they get by.  I really appreciate the focus into building interesting battles, which makes all of the gameplay just deeply fun.

As a minor note, this is definitely a game that playing it in 2020 is better than on release in 2019, as some of the post-release patches seem to have really helped the game and added key features like speed-up for battle animations and the like.

3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Steam, 2020)

Well, Ori & the Blind Forest was my favorite game of 2016, so it's not really shocking that Will of the Wisps is also really good.  The game is absolutely beautiful both in background and in the smooth and fluid motion with which you explore the land, with fantastic music to match.  The combat is also much better than Blind Forest, for all that this is a pretty easy hurdle to clear, and both games are still really about the platforming anyway.

If I had to complain, Will of the Wisps is a bit...  safer than I expected?  It is very much "well that previous story worked okay, let's do a very close variant in the land next door."  Also, the escape sequences are a bit easy (the one exception was actually patched to be easier), which for Ori & the Blind Forest veterans may be a tad disappointing.  (On the other hand, I have some acquaintances who liked Blind Forest EXCEPT the pummeling escape sequences there, so.)  Wish they'd had adjustable difficulty levels JUST for the escapes.

2. A Hat in Time (Steam, 2017)

I'm not really much of a 3D platforming type - I still don't have tons of interest in playing Mario Odyssey on Switch, for example, and I never plated Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario Galaxy.  That said.  Dang if A Hat in Time isn't really damn fun.  It manages to be tough but not frustrating the vast majority of the time, so that it's properly rewarding to succeed, but you will eventually get there.  It also has the good sense to never spend TOO long on any one theme - the 4 base chapters of the game (+2 more chapters from DLC) are all quite distinct from each other, veering crazily from theme to theme, but all done in fantastic way.  If you want to be a completionist, there's a bunch of optional crap lurking around in the corners of the maps; if you want to just smash through at top speed, you can do that too, and I never felt like the game was punishing me either direction.  The music is very solid.  And finally, the boss battles are pretty great.  By law, this game has to be described as "charming", and, well, it IS.  What a pleasant surprise.

(I still need to play Chapter 6, mind.  Chapter 5 was definitely the weakest chapter, but the first DLC also included a bunch of challenge remixed versions of the other stages, and those were also cool, so I was trying to finish them before doing C6..)

Excellent (9/10)

1. Disco Elysium (Steam, 2019)

The apotheosis of a narrative-based game.  Everything good people said about the likes of Planescape Torment or other attempted stabs in that direction truly applies to Disco Elysium, where you get to write your own little novel about a tiny suburb of a large city of a mini-continent of an entire world.  The setting is fascinating, the characters are great, the writing is sharp.  Play it!  Except don't read anything about it to avoid spoilers!  It's amazing.

Finished, ranked in 2019:
* WILL A Wonderful World - The ending was mostly fine for this.  My only complaint is that one of the romantic relationships is a bit icky (well, two, but it's more understandable for the other one, which is largely only told in backstory anyway), and there still isn't strictly speaking a lot of "gameplay", but whatevs.
* Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Yep, this was still good.

Notable replays:
* Fire Emblem Three Houses / Cindered Shadows - Played through Cindered Shadows and most of Azure Moon (aka Blue Lions route).  Still awesome, my #1 game of 2019 for a reason.
* Dragon Quest III, Switch edition - I played Dragon Warrior III on the NES ages ago.  Switch version has some dopey translation updates (The miniboss Kandar gets renamed to..  Robbin' 'ood?  wut?), but also some very nice quality-of-life updates as well (quicksaves most notably) that speed things up a lot.  It's still perfectly playable and a nice window back to games that were more okay with "eh, here's a big world map to explore, have fun, go solve some puzzles and beat up some bosses."  Not quite done with it just yet, but close.  Grr, Baramos.

Unfinished:
* Giga Wrecker - Obscure puzzle-based metroidvania made by Game Freak..  As in, yes, the Game Freak that makes Pokemon (And Shinji Hosoe did the score!).  One of those teenage girl turned into cyborg with superpowers plots, Japan likes 'em, I like 'em, but the script translation is truly horrid - like something done by a non-native English speaker in the early 90s.  It seems fine so far, but the puzzle difficulty is erratic, and it's not always clear if you even have the tools to make a specific jump or the like.  We'll see.
* Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, Switch edition - The Switch version added some needed quality-of-life features but…  NOT ENOUGH.  Needed even more ways to speed through all the busywork of counting off enemy threat ranges manually and dragging your army around.  On the bright side, I unironically like the 8-bit Famicom art and portraits, especially compared to the portrait-less NES games it coexisted with like Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Warrior III.
* Langrisser I & II, Steam remake - I was vaguely curious, but..  Ick.  The initial plot is absolutely the most tired, paint-by-numbers exiled prince of awesome plot imaginable.  It seems like the "bad" plot branches are at least somewhat interesting, at least, but didn't get far enough to try 'em.  More to the point, there just isn't a lot of strategy to the game - allegedly there was actually more strategy in the original Genesis versions, but the rock / paper / scissors aspects have been reduced, so it's more WHO HAS THE BIGGER NUMBERS combined with a lot of hireling micromanagement.  Even worse, the game actually rewards you for being inefficient rather than being efficient in your combat style.  And it seems really, really easy.  So wasn't grabbing me.
* Stella Glow - I've been playing this since 2018, but the sudden dramatic drop in time spent in transit means my 3DS time has shot downward.  I'm preeetty close to the end, though, I think.
* Super Mario Bros. 35 - I'll count this as finished when I win a match.  I did get 2nd place once out of ~8 attempts or so.  It's an okay time-killer, but didn't play it THAT much.  Main lesson is that SMB1 stages can afford to be MUCH more enemy-dense and are still perfectly playable; just goes to show it's all in the jumps & pits that make a challenging Mario stage, not the enemies.
* SMT Digital Devil Saga 2 - I played a tad of this on my PS3, got up to the first boss.  Not really sure why.  It seemed okay, although Hard mode is blocked unless you load a clear file of DDS1 for some silly reason.  Maybe for the best anyway, knowing SMT difficulty.

(EDIT: Experienced, did not play:)
* 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim - As noted, I didn't actually play this, but I did watch the whole damn game via other people's Twitch streams.  It's also really good!  Thinky sci-fi that also involves Japanese high schoolers and giant robots, very tightly written, lots of good plot hooks that get answered and replaced by even more interesting mysteries as the player explores.  Would probably be an 8 if I decided I didn't like the SRPG sections, a 9 if I decided I did.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:25:24 PM by SnowFire »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 12:45:15 AM »
Time was an illusion this year and I probably have forgotten some things and will come back to add them later.

Video Game I Logged The Most Hours In On a Video Game Basis: Monster Train

I hate this game so much that I'm close to 100%ing it.  The deckbuilder roguelike renaissance started by Slay the Spire continues.  Monster Train takes the usual deckbuilder formula and jams it into a tower defense sort of style, with cheesy art and polish.  It's nowhere near as tight of an experience as StS or others in the genre... and yet it captures the most important bit, the feeling of "just one more turn, just one more battle, just one more run" where granular feedback on your play decisions keeps the mental feedback loop going.  It's *very* clever about that, making sure to include things like subtle urging towards the multiplayer modes and automatic comparisons with your Steam friends (always favorable to you!) to encourage playing and talking about the game as a social experience. 

Long Have We Awaited, And Now It Is Here: Spelunky 2

Good game.  Very pretty.  Full of secrets.  Purists argue that Spelunky HD is better, and they may be right, but lunky 2 has more Stuff and certainly doesn't get old fast.

Best Narrative Game: Your Turn To Die

A one-person indie project (translated into a convenient browser version by the ever-amazing vgperson) about a bunch of people trapped in a sadistic mafia-style death game, taking clear homage to its roots in the Dangan Ronpa and Zero Escape series and outdoing both in its own twisted way.  While those games ultimately felt like you were following story branches, YTTD managed to accomplish feeling like I was actually playing mafia in a single player game, something no other game to date has been able to capture.  (Although I just got gifted a copy of Raging Loop and I hear very good things about that game in this regard.  We'll see!)

Best Narrative Game Close Runner-Up: Magical Diary: Wolf Hall

Hanako Games, familiar to some folks here from Long Live the Queen, continues to put out amazing stuff.  MD: Horse Hall, several years ago, was a rough but excellent Not-Hogwarts School Life Sim VN, letting you take a young woman (default name: Mary Sue) through freshman year at... well, American Not-Hogwarts.  Learn magic, use magic to complete tests in first-person freeroam dungeons, enjoy hijinks with a cute cast, raise an eyebrow at the plotline letting you romance Not-Snape.

Wolf Hall is... not a sequel, exactly.  Not a remake, exactly.  A companion piece and successor.  It's set in the same year, with most of the same characters, but this time the PC is male and has a quite involved personal storyline, being the prince of a hidden European magical kingdom who's here incognito to experience a single year of living as a 'common' wizard.  The cast from Horse Hall is back, all with vastly expanded presence and a wide variety of storylines to wander your way into.  Zero punches are pulled with politics, social commentary and general gay awesomeness.  Game's good.  VNs are fun. 

Best Social Not Really A Videogame But You Already Know What's Up: Among Us

If you haven't been living under a rock you know what this is, vtubers and congresswomen alike have been playing it.  Yet another tiny indie project that people finally noticed was Really Good.  The developers understand what they're doing and hit the right mix of settings and customization to keep things playable at both casual and "experienced social deduction gamer" levels.

The Game That Broke My Hand: One Step From Eden

Mega Man Battle Network: The Ultrafast Twitch Action Deckbuilder Roguelite.  Very fun stuff, recently was updated with a slowdown mode so normal people can enjoy it more.  Viscerally satisfying crunchy action, cute graphics, good music and polish.   Fun game, recommend.

Wow, This Really Did Not Age Well: Persona 4 Golden

OOF.  What a sock in the rose colored glasses.  The good parts of P4 are still good, generally, but I forgot just how many bad parts there are, and cringed at how much leeway past me gave to some of the worst stuff.  Yosuke and Teddie in particular are no longer funny or endearing.  Yikes. 

Golden... some of the QoL stuff about fusions and dungeon crawling is good.  It guts any sense of challenge or interest in the battle system, but that's fine, the ability to turn on effectively unlimited EXP and money just makes the game better really.   Adachi link is good.  All the other new additions are absolute garbage.  The music is worse.  The VA is worse - particularly Chie, who had her VA swapped out entirely, and suffers immensely.  The original VA delivered many of her lines in a joking, almost sarcastic manner that gave the impression her character wasn't the straightforward meathead idiot the dialogue wanted her to be.  Her new VA... does not do this. 

Then we top off with Marie and an expanded ending fellating the MC (not literally though, that actually would've been better...) and just ugh.  If you want to play a game like this play Magical Diary instead.  Good memories but I won't be going back again.

The Super Mainstream Game I Watched Friends Play And It Was Actually Extremely Good: Final Fantasy 7 Remake

zomg what is a modern final fantasy doing in my top games? 
Squats.  It's doing squats.  With a theme song.  For doing squats.
As time goes on I appreciate FF7 more, especially for its mix of bold and weird moments.  Most people, including myself, did not expect the remake would be anything special, and thought it would tone down most of the weird/rough edges.  It did not!  It leaned into them!!  There are some missteps, some things that could be better, and the gameplay is the usual modern-RPG-semi-action-MMO-ish yawnfest that made me glad I was only watching rather than playing myself.  Despite that, a worthy title that actually lives up to its anticipation and hype.  Good stuff.  Anyone still on the fence about FF7R, go to youtube and watch the new Honeybee Inn scene.  You won't be disappointed.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 02:11:18 AM »
Not too much time for gaming this year. I hope to revisit the stuff I didn't finish, and there is so much I still want to play but might never get around to.

4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This game seems good, but will probably end up being my least favorite Souls game. It's a lot more demanding than the others as an action title, and I wasn't able to progress too far in it. I respect it for being different, and whenever I have more free time to dedicate to getting good at a game I might give it another shot.

3. Trials of Mana

I've seen mostly universal praise for this remake, and while I liked some things about it, I still prefer playing the original. ToM feels like every other action RPG now and has a bit too much micro management going on for my taste. The original had a lot of problems, but I'm not really satisfied with a game that feels so stilted and derivative being the "improvement." Questionable changes to character models and such too. Maybe I'm being overly negative. I did like the addition of jumping and added exploration in the game. It's also nice that it tells you what different classes will do in advance.

I'm very happy the game finally got an official release here, all told.

2. Night of Full Moon

A fun roguelike deckbuilding game with cute graphics. I only played the first major "dlc" pack (the whole game is DLC). Haven't tried Slay the Spire yet, but this is supposedly derived from it. The game doesn't break any new ground, but is a great time waster on the phone when you only have minimal time for games. Each class has different types of cards it specializes in, and this is really cool until you realize the standard "thin down and draw deck" strategy is better than actually using most cards in the game. It ranges from too easy to unfair without much inbetween. Usually, the only reason I met any challenges in the game was bad luck with abilities early on. If it sounds like I'm being negative, that's because most of the pleasure in this game was mindlessly clicking cards and sometimes finding completely broken combos. I can't really describe that in a way that sells the game. Sill, I'd recommend it. I was playing the game for most of the year on and off.

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake

I didn't anticipate this actually being good, but I'm overjoyed that it is. There are hundreds of reviews saying literally everything I could say about it already, including Tim Rogers' 3+ hour opus. Needless to say, I'm super excited for Part 2. It's great that we have a "remake" but the original still gets to stand alone as its own unique thing. As someone who has lost a lot of faith in Square-Enix lately, I'm even looking forward to FFXVI after this one.

The soundtrack is also album of the year!

.... Yeah, that's it. Not in-depth, I know. It's getting harder and harder for me to think about games with any kind of analytical hat these days.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 03:57:23 PM »
9. Dragon Quest XI (Switch, Square Enix, 2019)

Before this game I'd only completed two Dragon Quest games. It's never been a series I'm a huge fan of; the best things I'd say about them in general is they're pretty good at making regular encounters something you care about. DQ11 basically continues on with this formula. It modernizes Dragon Quest a bit, but also not enough.

Gameplaywise this is rather unquestionably the best Dragon Quest. Random encounters are pretty enjoyable affairs, rewarding the player spending just enough resources to eliminate them quickly and safely. Boss design is also by far the best of the Dragon Quests I've played, at least on Stronger Enemies, with the bosses feeling reasonably varied and often very dangerous, rewarding good team-based play. The game also is reasonably polished and has decent quality of life compared to earlier Dragon Quests, particularly with regard to full party switching.

The game disappointed me on the usual Dragon Quest fronts. The story/writing is just... not good at all, as in it was a clear step back from DQ8 and DQ8 is already a game that absolutely falls below my standards of what I expect from RPG narratives in 2020. Music was pretty mediocre too.

And the gameplay is solid but doesn't truly get into the exceptional, of course; the randomised DQ turn system has its limits, and letting you choose actions mid-round doesn't change that. As much fun as the boss design is, I don't think the overall experience is up to the level of something like Octopath Traveler or Bravely Default.

Rating: 5/10

8. Indivisible (Playstation 4, 505 Games, 2019)

Indivisible is an obvious spiritual successor to Valkyrie Profile gameplaywise. VP had a neat system, so I'm always up for seeing a new spin on it. And Indivisible's was... fun but very imperfect.

The really cool thing about Indivisible is how much love went into each individual character; they all have distinct playstyles and are a lot of fun to learn. You keep getting new ones and being able to assemble them into parties means the game's at little risk of getting old. And the character designs are super-varied too (and actually diverse in terms of things like ethnicity and body shapes, please take note games). The game also adds a timed defence system which is pretty fun, really makes it even more actiony than Valkyrie Profile.

The gameplay does have some rocky bits though; they tried to make it so you could win without a healer but it leads to some pretty awkward balance, and often makes the game feel too easy. Some of the combo mechanics are not communicated well either. So in a marked contrast to the previous game on the list, while the battle system is fun, encounter design is not a strength. And you want that when you're a gameplay game!

Its writing mostly isn't great (a bit too children's cartoon for me), but has one super-cool thing near the end which I don't want to spoil but is honestly kind of amazing and is definitely the only reason I'm convinced to rate this game above DQ11.

Rating: 5.5/10

7. Shantae and the Seven Sirens (Switch, WayForward, 2019)

Shantae games are generally fluffy little Metroidvanias with some decent humour; this is definitely more of the same on that front.

Gameplaywise it's pretty enjoyable, though imperfect. It's probably the most Metroidy of the games in terms of exploring a big connected environment, though it still has self-contained dungeons within that environment. The game does a good job of providing that always fun gameplay loop of getting more powers and gaining access to more places. Compared to other Shantae games, I appreciate that it brought back the speed of accessing powerups; they're activated with buttons like Pirate's Curse and not gameplay-disrupting dances like Risky's Revenge or Half-Genie Hero.

Unfortunately it really drops the ball on boss design. Most of the bosses have super-easy-to-avoid attacks and are at best a minor puzzle for how you damage them. Definitely disappointing! The final boss is kind of interesting but is in this weird zone (not the first time for the series) where healing trivializes it but not using healing is just way too brutally hard (the rest of the game you can ban healing and the game feels right).

Music's also way worse than the Shantae norm. I definitely missed Jake Kaufman's stellar work.

That said for all that it's pretty cotton candy I still had a good time with it. Core Shantae gameplay is always enjoyable, and it definitely got its share of chuckles from me. Turtles are very fast, but turtles cannot swim.

Rating: 6/10

6. Final Fantasy VII Remake (Playstation 4, Square Enix, 2020)

Square Enix has kinda lost its way in terms of the Final Fantasy series, with approximately one good main-series entry released in the past 19 years (which game you consider that to be varies; I say it's XIII). So I didn't have very high expectations for this. But it's... actually pretty good?

The gameplay is neat. It does a nice job of bridging the gap between an action RPG and a traditional RPG. You only control one character at once but you're encouraged to switch who that is mid-battle regularly. The action elements are mostly how you build up ATB gauge, and then you choose your actions from a menu like original FF7. There's a chain/stagger system similar to XIII (cool) except it's not really communicated as well, nor as fundamental to the combat. Enemies are varied and reasonably interesting, and the game's challenge is in a good place, rarely causing many resets but definitely keeping me on my toes. Compared to original FF7, which was mostly snooze-easy, that's a lot of improvements.

The materia system is also back and still really cool. Weapon choices are pretty interesting as well, moreso than the original. The main downside of the system is everything involving the out-of-battle menus (especially for the new crafting/skill-building system) feels very clunky, especially compared to the original.

The writing is... very mixed. On the one hand, I give the game massive props to the way it treats the original material. FF7 walked a fine line between being a game about serious things but also being irreverent and at times ridiculous; the remake captures that mix perfectly. The story about a tyrannical corporate government maintaining control of the people through a resource they crave and media propaganda has never been more timely. The core characters of the Remake – Cloud, Barret, Tifa, and Aerith – are excellent and often compelling. And when the game goes zany (most memorably during the Wall Market sequence), it does so with so much aplomb that you can't help but applaud. One such moment earns FF7R the Elf award for best gaming moment of 2020, not bad for a game I have at only #6 this year.

So where does it go wrong? Simply put it introduces some plot elements which are, for lack of a better way to put it without completely spoiling, very navel-gazing and unsatisfying. I'm all in for the story about Shinra and I find Sephiroth a tolerable fantasy diversion from that, but other added plot elements feel like they turn the game from "something I can discuss with politically-minded non-gamers" to "weird fanservice for nerds", except from what I can tell I'm far from alone at disliking it so I guess it's not even very good fanservice.

The game's pacing also can be a bit cumbersome. They turned a 7 hour piece of a game into a 30-40 hour game. Some things they added work nicely, sometimes I very much feel like the game is bloated and wasting my time. And the gameplay is solid but not so good as to justify extra time for me.

The music is also a touch disappointing? Like if I was going to point at one place the original clearly wins aside from pacing, it's here. Periodically you get some classic tracks from FF7 remixed and they're predictably great, but aside from bits like that which cruise on nostalgia the rest of the soundtrack blurs into forgettable. I've been watching original FF7 again recently and it's remarkable how much that great battle theme it has helps; FF7R frequently serves up far more boring tracks for its battles.

It's a strange game to rate because it's impossible to consider completely in a vacuum; the game itself begs you to compare it with the original. On the whole, I probably find that for me, personally, I rank it around the same place, although obviously the original will always be the more important game, both historically and for me personally.

Rating: 7/10

5. Hollow Knight (Playstation 4, Team Cherry, 2017)

For all that I appreciate Shantae doing Shantae things, Hollow Knight is clearly the better of the two Metroidvanias I played this year.

It's definitely a solid game! It controls very nicely, and it's got a very nice world too explore. (Very large too.) In that good Metroidvania way you get new powerups and go new places, repeat as you explore. All the while there's plenty of good combat to be had. Actually, the combat-while-exploring is definitely up there in the conversation for genre best. The way the game mixes it in with platforming is beautiful (particularly using the downslash to both attack and bounce off enemies), and the health recovery system is perfect for exploring; do well in combat and you get magic back, which you can use to heal when you have a break in the action.

The boss design is more mixed, but when it's on its game, it's definitely great too. Only about three or four bosses really stand out to me, but do they ever. Many of the rest I find I don't really remember half a year later. Probably my biggest knock on boss fights in general is that while the healing mechanic is great while exploring, it's not very fun in bosses, as you sit there motionless midcombat and basically hope the boss is too stupid to hit you (yes, you can learn some windows to reliably heal against some bosses, but it's still not fun even then).

For non-gameplay things, well, it doesn't have much story, but some of the writing and characters were cute, so it gets an okay grade on this front. Music is not something I'd listen to out of game much, but usually quite pleasant, and many boss fights have unique tracks, which is neat.

I don't have too much to say about the game, ultimately. It's certainly fun and good, but also left me without that much desire to replay it immediately or get all the crazy amounts of optional content/endings which a really great game probably would.

Rating: 7/10

4. AI: The Somnium Files (Switch, Spike Chunsoft, 2019)

This year's Uchikoshi thriller/visual novel. That's three years in a row! Zero Time Dilemma in 2021? We'll see.

Let's start with the weak points of the game. One, even by the standards of the Zero Escape games, there's barely gameplay, mostly just some trial and error sequences. They're rarely that bad to play because they are dream sequences and often have some good storytelling, and there's at least one which makes extremely good use of the game's mechanics to tell a story point, but overall they are pretty unengaging on a gameplay front.

The game's other weakness is that while the writing is usually very very good, it occasionally shifts into zany humour action sequences which are a little jarring tone-wise (and are utterly nonsensical). A lot of the game's humour really landed for me, but by and large these sequences didn't.

But otherwise? I've got a lot of good things to say. The game tells a really compelling mystery story and, like previous games, you get to learn different pieces of the mystery and are encouraged to speculate at each step. The game features branching timelines so putting together information from each is also part of the fun. And the characters themselves are almost uniformly great; at times funny, at times charming and heart-warming, sometimes in surprising ways. It's a game that, though mostly mystery with a bit of comedy, definitely manages to explore its themes quite well, too.

The character designs are great, the voice acting is phenomenal. The music is mostly not very memorable (a problem the Zero Escape games had too), but the ending vocal still sticks with me to this day, so there's that.

It was a great time. Just wish it had, y'know, gameplay.

Rating: 7.5/10

3. Trials of Mana (Switch, Square Enix, 2020)

The original Seiken Densetsu 3 was an interesting game, but I'd hesitate to call it outright good. It was an outstanding game aesthetically for the time: music, character design, enemy design in particular. And it featured a bold system where you chose three characters from a pool of six and each had up to four final classes, leading to crazy amounts of replay value. Unfortunately, its experimental early action-RPG gameplay was not the best.

So along comes this remake and just like FF7's, they totally got what made SD3 good. The music is back with better remixes, the aesthetics are now transitioned into lovely 3D (it's not a technically graphically advanced game, but it looks great anyway... leagues above the ugly 3D of the FF3-4 remakes, for instance). But the gameplay? That got a complete overhaul, for the better.

Gone is the huge emphasis on enemies having fullscreen attacks; now avoiding enemy attacks (with their telegraphed threat-ranges, an absolute necessity with how hectic fights get in this game) is big part of the game. Like any good action game, it's fun to learn how to avoid enemy attacks, and bosses further mix this up with some attacks you are supposed to avoid, and others you are supposed to interrupt.

Still present is the branching class system, but now there are more choices with the skill system, and you gain the earlier levels faster so the class changes come earlier than in the original (a major positive for the game). Character balance is better (no longer does Kevin mercilessly outclass the other physical characters). The limit of 9 of each item per boss is still present, but you no longer have to manually restock from one menu to another between fights. So many design choices of this game are so good.

It still doesn't have much of anything to speak of plotwise, although Angela is a very Elf character anyway. But y'know what I don't really care that much. I haven't gotten around to replays yet, but I'm sure I will. An utterly joyful game.

Rating: 7.5/10

2. Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia (Switch, Matrix Software, 2020)

The original Brigandine is a good game and I totally get why several people in the DL got super-into it. However, I wasn't one; the game had some flaws holding it back for me. And guess what this game not only somehow brings back Brigandine in the year of our lord 2020, but it totally agreed with me with what most of the flaws were and addresses them.

This game's a lot of fun! There's a strategy take-over-the-map aspect, it's fine I guess. Mostly it's good in the way it makes you think about defending various borders with various teams. The real good gameplay occurs with in the strategy RPG battles themselves. Battles are clashes between two teams fundamentally playing by the same rules, but one where every bit of good play on the player's part is strongly rewarded, since every character death on either side matters - monsters are lost permanently, while a human character being wounded causes their entire team to retreat.

The different classes (for human characters) and different monster types each bring different things to a team and there's lots of different ways to play. MP is a resource you actually need to think about carefully in battle, enemy healing is something you need to watch for, and there's lots of strategies you can do between wearing your opponents down or going for assassinations on the leader. Different units perform differently in different terrain, making you keep an eye on that. Since no two battles feature exactly the same enemy composition, things are constantly fresh, and while this means there isn't the same type of hand-crafted maps you get from the best Fire Emblems, it's still a lot of fun.

The game features non-random damage and damage projections, so planning out a turn is something you can do if you're into that sort of thing, and obviously helps a lot.

The game doesn't really have much plot, but oh well. If you ever wanted to play as anime Targaryens, a megalomaniac cult leader, or a magical lesbian society, you can, so there's that. Character art's nice at least, and quite distinctive; shades of Valkyrie Profile.

Probably the game's biggest flaw that remains is that the teams start too far apart in each battle so the first two turns consist of moving towards your enemy and are boring. (You can auto-battle them on fast forward, at least.)

I've already replayed it once and have just started on file #3. This game's good.

Rating: 8.5/10

1. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark (Switch, 6 Eyes, 2019)

It's a love letter to Final Fantasy Tactics, which is a sure way to my heart. But it also really understood where FFT went wrong and tries to do better.

Like FFT, battles are small-scale, hand-crafted affairs. There's no trudging to your destination like in some SRPGs, it's straight into good combat. Damage projections, planning things out, it's all there. There's a speed system kind of like FFT and a visible turn order so you can think about who's going to act when and plan appropriately.

Mechanically, MP is probably the biggest difference between this game and FFT; everyone gains 10 a turn. How to use that is definitely something some characters need to consider; use a small amount each turn or save for big novas? On the note of novas, enemies have them too, so if you see an enemy Templar building MP, you'd better take that into account. But again, this is something you can do; like any good strategy RPG, good play is often the difference between enemies wrecking you and you having complete control over the battle.

The class system is of course a joy, given the source material. You can bring in one secondary command and two support abilities; equipment adds a good layer of customization as well. Crafting characters is a lot of fun; so much so that game encourages you to use more than the minimum six, by having an injury system where you are encouraged to rotate party members (if a character falls in battle, they are injured for the next fight, even if you revive them). The injury system can be gamed (by fighting randoms) or removed entirely if you don't like it.

And in general the game is an extraordinarily customizable experience. There are many, many ways you can tweak the difficulty to your liking, which is neat.

Non-gameplay stuff isn't really worth too much note. The plot is functional but ultimately not that interesting, the music doesn't stand out, the graphics are not really my favourite (and since the maps are hand-drawn, you can't rotate them, which is a bit annoying for an isometric game). For a gameplay weakness (relatively), the encounter designs are respectable but not really great; some of them do blur into being a bit same-y compared to the genre best.

Still, for an iteration on one of my favourite games, Fell Seal does a great job, and it's game I'm happy to add to my library of favourites.

Rating: 9/10

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »
Oh yeah, this year's replays:

Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4, Mega Man 5 - In all cases, doing a pseudo-challenge run where I had to emphasize using certain weapons.
Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 - More good NES platformers I can revisit endlessly.
Super Mario Kart, Devil May Cry, Metroid Fusion - Three more random favourites.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Something to play with friends. They added Byleth and Sephiroth, that's cool.
Suikoden 4, Suikoden 5 - For my series line-counting project. Suikoden 4... is not a good game. S5 remains solid though.
Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - So I like Fire Emblem. It was the first time I'd played in nearly a decade, did a goofy challenge run. Good lord does this game need save states in 2020.
Fire Emblem Fates - I did a woman-only run of Conquest. Conquest map design remains sublime. Maybe next time I'll play it with the hack that adds all the same-sex S supports because fuck heteronormativity.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Seven replays of this, all on Maddening. I even beat the freaking cultist route. And replayed the other routes, one of each for Azure Moon and Verdant Wind and then four for Crimson Flower, including one run where I did almost no monastery to see what it's like and one where I used only mages. I also embraced this game as my favourite game of all time, sorry FFT you had a good run.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 06:33:14 AM »
I played a lot of really good games this year; I really have a lot of respect for the top six and am quite fond of a few of the others. (And then there's old Fire Emblem, which I use to torture myself.) Good year IMO.

13. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (SNES, 1999)

After playing the riveting Genealogy of the Holy War last year, I decided to play its intraquel, Thracia 776. Its plot is definitely less interesting than FE4 but just as misogynist, although Augustus ends up being a bit of a proto-Soren in terms of characterization. Gameplaywise, the game starts dull but ends up being rather obnoxious thanks to ninja reinforcements, ridiculous amounts of status Staves, and just general clunky map design. It’s just not a very fun game to play, and unlike Genealogy, which had ideas and was ambitious even if the game isn’t that -fun-, FE5 just ends up being a bit of a boring mess of a game. Definitely extra negative points for some of the horrible map design of a few particular maps; sleep siege tomes and the thief staff / thief map which was just The Fucking Worst. I am glad that it ditched FE4’s really terrible trading mechanic, but there’s not a lot of recommend about this game unless you like bashing your face into a brick wall.

12. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light (Switch, 1990/2020 VC release)

Man, who the fuck put all of these Fire Emblem characters in Smash, these games are fucking bad? Sakurai bias. This game is fucking boring. It’s not as stupid as Thracia 776, but the lack of damage projections, knowing if I am doubling or not, and the wonky mechanics make the game pretty underwhelming.

11. SaGa: Scarlet Grace (Switch, 2016)

Interesting game. The core combat system is cool, although the game’s mechanics are obtuse and I found myself in a bit of a repetitive loop in terms of how the combats were executed. The art is nice. The game’s plot is very bad. I wasn’t able to complete the game because the final boss is a difficult spike like you wouldn’t believe - from what I read online, I would have to grind for several hours to get to the power level required to win, and I didn’t that wasn’t worth my time.

10. Ys 8: Lacrosima of Dana (PS4, 2016)

This game has really fun core combat and beautiful graphics and nice music, but its setting work and writing are both very weak, and I think it drags on a little too long. Also, kinda misogynist sadly. I like how the different characters play differently and the beautiful character design of Dana, who is the star of the show.

9. Tales of Vesperia (Switch, 2008)

Two Tales games in one year, amazing! I love Yuri and think he's a very interesting take on a main character, and Rita is great for some laughs. The foil between Yuri and Flynn is interesting; both are ultimately sympathetic even if different. There are some characters like Raven who I am not fond of, as well as Alexei, who is just a nonsensical character. The edition of Patty to the HD collection is weird and bad; she’s a pretty throughly annoying character and a fully unnecessary addition. I really like the environments in this game, especially the grand canyon style one. Gameplay is boring and there are too many battles, although better than Abyss gameplay.

8. Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch, 2017)

Interesting take on the retro RPG style - it has a really cool combat system, and I really like its art and Chrono Trigger-inspired sprites. Gameplay loop is a little repetitive, but at least it’s quick enough that it didn’t grate on me too much. As others have said, I do feel like a weakness of the game is that it doesn’t really matter what enemies do, because you are mostly just trying to pull off cool combos and stuff. The plot is bad as usual for Zeboyd; arguably worse than CTSW thanks to less humor. Good game but a little in one ear and out the other.

7. Atelier Ayesha (Switch, 2012)

Unique game in the context of your traditional RPG. First of all, I love so much that it features so many prominent women, including Ayesha, Wilbell, Regina, Marion, Linca. It isn’t afraid to feature them as if not more prominently than its male characters. The art is lovely, and combat is enjoyable and even with my limited mastery of the crafting system + playing on Hard, I was able to survive. Barely. I know the game is supposed to be quite easy on Normal but I got a lot out of playing Hard. Dungeons are fun and fulfilling especially with the increased challenge. Music is really good too. My biggest complaint is that, while it does most things competently, it doesn’t do one thing that blows my mind. But I really like it anyway.

6. Tales of Berseria (PS4, 2016)

This game's character work and writing and thematic work are phenomenal! Velvet is one of my all time favorite characters, as is Magilou, and even Eleanor and Laphicet are both really solid characters, and I really like the reason vs. emotion debate (and the conclusion that it is horseshit because people who claim to be driven by reason are actually driven more by emotion than they care to admit, harkening back to internet dudebros). I think Artorius + Melchior are both insufferable, obnoxious blowhards who sniff their own farts and the game does such a good job of making them have just enough of a point to not be completely unbelievable but totally, mindblowingly condescending and infuriating. Much like Vesperia, I really like the environments.

The gameplay I think I actually like less than Vesperia because of the weird gauge system involving combos and Velvet’s gauge. Maybe one day a Tales game will have good gameplay.

5. Trials of Mana remake (Switch, 2020)

Great gameplay; enemies are fun and the challenge curve is very nice! I played on Hard and a lot of the bosses are quite fun and challenging. I like how controlling all of the different characters feels very different. Really strong sound track. The graphics, while not state of the art, are colorful and friendly and beautiful. Its plot is, well, bad SNES era plot.

4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch, 2019)

Fantastic game. It really kills the Castlevania formula and is my favorite game in the series (although totally not a Castlevania, obv). Fantastic boss design, great weapon diversity, skills are very fun. The game is very fluid and just generally quite enjoyable. Except the plot. Its plot is terrible.

3. Hollow Knight (PS4, 2017)

The fact that this game is third is ridiculous. It's so good. Fantastic, fluid platforming elements, very nice backgrounds and art, and I really love the sense of mystery as you explore. Good OST but a little underused. It's also a little long for a Metroidvania. It’s a delight to play and explore and just have fun.

2. Hades (Switch, 2020)

I played this game because everyone was raving about it! It's the real deal. It puts 3D action game and old school Zelda in a blender and I think it hits the best notes of both. Although I am not as in love with the writing as some, I think it is decent and the game has some nice messaging about living with and having a dysfunctional family. The voice acting is really nice and the art is great. I don’t think roguelikes will ever be my preferred genre due to the repetitive nature of them, but the different boons and weapons make Hades runs much different from eachother, for all that the randomness can be frustrating. Still, very fun game.

1. Brigandine: Legend of Runersia (Switch, 2020)

I am a SRPG fan and I love the rune and monster system and the strategic war game aspect. It’s like original Brigandine with all of the stupid clunky shit removed, which as it turns out is a really good game. I also really like the final boss of the game. The art is also really good; I love Eliza and Darius! I also like how the different campaigns play differently, much like in the original, and that your position on the map and the units you have can affect your play in the wargame part. The plot is pretty bad and the writing is very stilted, but you know. Thems the breaks.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 10:04:02 PM »
10. Pokemon Sword

Maybe it's Pokemon burnout (which has happened to me before) or maybe it's that I had somewhat recently come off of some much better games on this list but this one just didn't grab me.  I appreciate Team Yell just being a bunch of overenthusiastic soccer hooligans though.

5/10

9. Dragon Quest XI

Overall a game that, like many others of its kind these days, would be better if it were about half its length.  Unlike those games though it's not terribly interesting on gameplay and the plot/writing is somehow even more phoned in but hey I actually bothered to finish (the maingame at least) it in 2020.

5.5/10

8. Disgaea 5

Disgaea, except now with kind of actually care-worthy gameplay?  Granted it was kind of trending that way anyways but I appreciate some of the things it does at least.  Plot/writing is another dud, but so it goes.

6/10

7. Trails of Cold Steel 3

Of all the series I've played, the trajectory of the Trails series seems to be the most confusing, and the Erebonia arc seems determined to make people wonder if the high points weren't there by accident.  3 in particular seems to be the part where a dog inexplicably jumps up on a bed and proceeds to defacate on it in a strangely triumphant fashion at the end.  Gameplay continues to slowly be refined/added on to and the game still does have some highs, but that final chapter sequence and the buildup to it is one of the lowest lows since uh the beginning of Sky FC and that's not something I'd say lightly.

6/10.

6. Super Robot Wars X

SRW continues to be a blast to play through but my taste for the ones in the single unit mode isn't what it once was.  But hey, sometimes you really just want to run over things with a hilariously out-of-place 19th century tank without caring if it's actually effective or not and just laugh at the crazy pileups that the series is known for.  Also they added a difficulty between standard and EX-Hard which I've wanted since forever so I can't say too many bad things about it.

6.5/10

5. Tales of Vesperia

So 2020 for me has mostly been a plot/writing games over gameplay games year.  Vesperia is probably the weakest of the plot/writing games (and doesn't really have much to recommend it as an ARPG), but it's pretty fascinating in its own way, as well as kind of funny how it basically nails what Trails character writing is actually good at considering the trajectory of that series.  The villain cast is the usual Tales faire and not all the characters are a hit (Patty in particular feels so absurdly tacked on it isn't funny) but so it goes.

7/10

4. Touhou Puppet Dance Performance: Shard of Dreams

So the superior "is pokemon" game turns out to be... a Touhou fangame.  Seriously, it's pretty much just peak everything I wanted in the series, except instead of weird-looking critters it's a bunch of weird magic puppets because Touhou.

7/10

3. Trials of Mana

The best gameplay game of the list goes to the remake of one the 0/10 games on my list.  In fairness I actually did want to like the original, just it was a janky as fuck mess that punished the player for wanting to engage with it.  The remake fixes that and as it turns out that's all you needed to do in order for it to be one of the best popcorn ARPG experiences.  It doesn't really change anything -else- and the postgame addition is perhaps one of the most phoned in things in existance, but hey.

7.5/10

2. Tales of Berseria

Oh boy.  This game is a lot to talk about and that's probably best left to another thread.  Gameplay is a weird momentum based mess and all I understand is DEVOUR but that's probably not what you're here for.  You're probably here for the variety of emotions the game makes the player goes through and to dunk on some gross hypocritical rationality youtubers.

9/10, one of the best plot/writing games I've played and would probably top these lists in many years, however...

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

So the top three games on this list have one thing in common, I actually bothered to do a second playthrough of them right after the first.

So as a confession when the game was announced I was pretty damn skeptical of the game, the series has never really had truly good plot/writing, that the game seemed to be cribbing off of Geneology in particular made me go "oh god why," and Fire Emblem is not really a series one associates with being friendly to a more freeform class system such as the one the game uses.

I wouldn't say it knocked everything out of the park, but that the game turned out to be as good as it is, even after 5 complete playthroughs, is still kind of astonishing to me, and I can't think of any game I've played in ages that I've enjoyed as much and wanted to talk about in every respect.

No other score but 10/10 is possible for me.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 06:07:57 AM »
  So I'd mentioned making a post here elsewhere then proceeded to not do so for over a month.  Only 2 games new to me in 2020 so easy to rank.

Gradius Gaiden  (PS1, import only)

This has been on my wishlist for a lot longer than anything else.  Much longer than Ayesha when she was no more than"who's the cute blonde?"  Can't remember when I first read about it but probably sometime in the mid-2000s.  The tweaks made to the Gradius formula definitely sounded fun even back then and managed to catch my interest but considered it out of reach to experience for myself back then.  Got very lucky to find it at a decent price and that it was still available when I actually made the purchase because I held off until I'd reached a benchmark in doing my tax stuff before buying as incentive.

Japan release only because Sony of America was being snobby in that era and wouldn't approve 2-D games.  So what does it do to the Gradius formula that makes it such a big deal?  For one, being able to rearrange the power meter.  No longer is the player locked into the standard SMDLO? arrangement, the order can be arranged to better fit the player's desire.  Moving Options to an early slot really cuts down on the time to fully upgrade the ship and also helps in recovering firepower after a death.  Speaking of which, recovery feel fair in this game.  While they can sometimes be difficult and frustrating, they always feel possible, even in the second loop.

There are some new shield types introduced in this game and not used in any later ones.  Maybe the designers felt they were too powerful.  The Ground shield doesn't provide full coverage like the regular Force Field but it does grant immunity to crashing into terrain.  This is a huge convenience.  Can still get squashed by the scrolling screen but no more deaths from scraping too close to the ceiling or ground.  The Limit shield is so much fun.  Complete invincibility, even though it only lasts 3 seconds.  Put in on the first (or second) slot and dash around stages.  Still got to learn those boss patterns though it can also buy a second or two of aggressive point-blanking.  I almost never use the regular shields, the new ones are just so much fun to play with.

Also supports two player simultaneous but ha-ha finding someone to play with as an adult during pandemic conditions.  So no experience with it yet.

Perhaps to support the arrangeable power meter, capsules are more generous than other Gradius titles.  Doesn't mean the game will be a pushover on the default difficulty.  I've seen quite a few 1cc runs on the 'tube before acquiring this game.  It looks so easy as a spectator but it's still another matter when I'm the one behind the controls.  This is my top pick of the year (not that there was much competition) because what it sets out to do, it does well.

Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube)

I like to joke that the game is worth what I paid for it.  Which isn't saying much because I purchased it in a trade with games I don't play, one of which I'd never opened.  It's an RPG with an action-based combat system.  It took a bit before I started to treat it like controlling a Smash character but once I did, felt like I was making progress skill-wise.  Thing is, there are also so many little irritants about it.  While on their own, they're not enough to keep me from overall enjoying the game, they are enough to put it behind a well-done shmup.
  I'm not going to go in depth about the irritations; that's a subject for the other topic.  The game does start of slow in the story department and it's also very generic at the start.  I was stubborn enough to push through but I can easily picture someone giving up before reaching the point where the plot started to pick up steam and catch my interest.  It is generally fun to write stuff about this game, positive and negative, so this probably won't be the last time I bring it up.  Like the degree of worldbuilding; many seemingly random events or details have in-game explanations though they are often hidden in out-of-the-way scenes and sidequests.

Tales sidequest bullshit factor: moderate.  Most of the missables are limited to story details, titles, and affection boosts with only a few strongest equipment options being tied to missable quests.  I still managed to lock myself out of one the few gear missables my first time through.  Plenty of good treasure in one-time dungeons but that's generally solved by being thorough and most of the most trickiest treasure spots to locate are consumables.  Aqua Cape is one of the noteable exceptions.

The game can be set to play itself, in battles anyways.  Isn't likely to cut it in boss fights, not without burning an excessive amount of items, but the option is there.  I ended up not using that option very much but it is an attractive way of dealing with randoms when trying to grind for cash to replace all those items.  Early game felt like a slog with 3-4 battles needed for one Life Bottle while later game has better money drops so less fighting needed for replacing consumables.

Symphonia does have multiplayer.  But it's rather janky with the camera focusing on player 1 (so I've read) so it's not really going to be a great multiplayer experience.

Some other random fun features:

- An NPC who was so insufferably smug I felt like punching its face.  Later find it's a boss fight and I get my chance to punch said smug face.  So gratifying.
- An antagonist who actually attacks while the player party is still talking among themselves.  Very pragmatic.
- What looks like an impending filler boss fight gets cut short in a cutscene with an axe to the back.  I was invested in the story at that point so glad to not deal with another fight.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:36:22 AM by DragonKnight Zero »