Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194772 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2725 on: August 23, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »
one fight from level-capping Steiner

Steiner's diet:

Mine is level 39 now.
Aeris got to level 50 (Raises Diaga damage materia -> hahahah yes) and all the cores but Summoner learned their SBs.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: August 23, 2015, 11:00:17 PM »
Victor Vran:

Had no internet so was playing this. Got up to level 22.

Victor Vran is a diablo-like game where I am currently equipped with a giant pumpkin hammer that makes a big orange smiley face when I attack.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: August 23, 2015, 11:22:25 PM »
one fight from level-capping Steiner

Steiner's diet:

Mine is level 39 now.
Aeris got to level 50 (Raises Diaga damage materia -> hahahah yes) and all the cores but Summoner learned their SBs.

I'm impressed.

And man, Diaga's pretty great. I'd push it up to R3, but I really don't want to run my Greater Holy and Wind Orb stock dry right now. I don't want to R4 Quake either because that'd run my Greater BLACK Orb stock dry. I just want the Festival of Orbs.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: August 24, 2015, 02:17:44 PM »
Ugh

They are giving out mithril knives as the ff9 weapons?

You can get those randomly in so many areas already, plus they are pretty crappy to boot.

That's a bummer.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: August 24, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
Mage Staves are the noteworthy FF9 weapons (Mythril Daggers are just worthless). The Brigandine and Silk Robe also aren't half-bad if you want synergy armors for the realm.

Final Fantasy My Favorite Autobattle - Completed autobattle Eiko event course, got started on Elite dungeons. There's just such a wealth of ways to completely cheese the event it downright impresses me (all the bosses on Conde Petie are vulnerable to ID! You can skip all of the Hill Gigas' turns by using Eiko summons once it gets below half health! The Black Waltzes get eaten by Carbuncle! Zorn and Thorn are utterly worthless against any sort of sustainable MT!). This may be the easiest event since the Cecil reissue, and that's -a feat-. At least, cheese is fun.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:55:38 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2730 on: August 24, 2015, 06:03:56 PM »
FFRK: ...dammit game, did you seriously just give me -two- Bomb summons in one fight as a reward? What the hell am I gonna do with even -one- of those useless things, let alone two?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: August 24, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »
Cheese the Hill Gigas fight.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 24, 2015, 08:31:30 PM »
Final Fantasy Disco Autobattle Love - There's one tiny detail on cheesing Black Waltz 2 that must not be forgotten: his elemental counters are MT. Fortunately, you can avoid those counters by using elements not covered by his draw (i.e. anything other than fire, ice, thunder and water. Well, and earth, since he immunes the element). Physicals aren't -too- great for bypassing that either, since he still counters those 15% of the time. You could also Berserk him in the meantime - should bypass his MT counters, as it forces him to cast ST Fire, which rams into Carbuncle. This is mostly relevant for the boss rush, though.

EDIT: Aaaaaw, they already removed the bug that caused Eiko to summon-lock Hill Gigas. Oh well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:35:55 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Forget it and just kill everything with R3 Diaga

New events = I USE MORE CORE and I feel that I might have overrated Ninja. Ninja is fucking terrible.
How do all these cores have descriptions that make them look competent?

I saw a japanese FFRK character ranking site and Red Mage was the lowest ranked character. I don't get it. He can use Curaga, Raise and Comet. He's better than fucking Ninja/Ranger.
Kimahri is the only regular character in the entire game who got a worse ranking than a core. That I can get behind.

Sephiroth's Masamune is pretty glorious. I should have saved mithril for it earlier. The SB is basically Seph's Aeris killing move, except super fast, and it looks hilarious and goofy in 2D. I love it. And I really really like that his Aeris killing move was turned into an actual attack you can use. Just the concept of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrGsv5nTDGM
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:46:59 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: August 24, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »
If I have the opportunity to cheese, by the name of God in heaven, cheese I will. Also spares me from slotting a Support character during the event.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: August 24, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
Also spares me from slotting a Support character during the event.

You could be grinding Irvine to 65 though

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: August 24, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
Also spares me from slotting a Support character during the event.

You could be grinding Irvine to 65 though

lulz noes

I've been raising Loserface and that's all I can spare

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: August 25, 2015, 01:29:27 AM »
Sephiroth's Masamune is pretty glorious.

Welcome to the "I have a weapon that Sephiroth can use" club.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: August 25, 2015, 01:56:15 AM »
I believe Dissidia was the first game to make Seph's Aeris-killing attack into a specific move and name it Hell's Gate. Needless to say, when 012 added Aeris as a support char people used it to make videos like this: https://youtu.be/jr5floFlKpU?t=1m11s

Edit: Beat Tracking the Turks on the first try, thanks to Reno not spamming pyramid excessively. Having 4 5* FF7 armors (and a 4*+ bangle) also helped a lot, Rude's Fira wasn't too bad except for the one time he hit with Magic Breakdown unapplied.

Edit2: Oh man, I just realized I forgot to swap out Vivi's Mana Spring II for Devotion. No wonder Quake was 'only' doing ~7600 damage to the Turks. <_<
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:14:40 AM by hinode »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: August 25, 2015, 03:25:23 AM »
Final Fantasy I Autobattled It Just The Same - Nearing the end of Eiko's event, already at Conde Petie - i.e. where -every single boss is vulnerable to ID-. Beatrix was more of the same, only compounded by Draw Fire kinda trivializing her a bit further. Thorn and Zorn were suitably useless, you just can't lose if you have someone to MT their ass always at the ready. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I'll have Eiko at L50 by the time this event ends.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: August 25, 2015, 04:48:14 AM »
Beat Xillia 1 and Xiliia 2. The games are better as a package - a sequel for once that improves upon the original, but only really when taken together with the first. There's some interesting stuff in the plot but overall, eh. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a tales fan or enjoys ARPGs. The games aren't spectacular. Admittedly, my best memories of both game is spending like 10 dollars for the school costume sets so I can listen to this instead of standard Sakurabai shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKy4lfHRhbo. Good track even after 90 hours.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2741 on: August 25, 2015, 06:31:48 AM »
FFRK: You people and your mages with weapons that can make them actually useful. My Vivi barely did 5000 with Quake to the Turks, so I couldn't get Mastery. I'm not even bothering to run a black mage for the Eiko event. My 5* sword collection makes running a physical team (+TyroSentinel's Grimoire) basically my only options for high-end fights anymore... >.>;;

...why does the Eiko event have -Phoenix- for a Summon reward instead of Maduin?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:35:11 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
Grandia 2 (!) got a Steam port with another difficulty level.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330390/

Too bad I played it so recently or this would be at the top of my list.

I wonder who on Earth even owns the license now. Regardless, cool that now it's just 98% dead series (Putting it in the TOP half of living RPG series).
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
Final Fantasy Her Mouth Is Filled With Autobattle - Hill Gigas <<<< standard mitigation measures. Farming Greater Fire Orbs paid off big time: I wouldn't have enough GFOs from Eiko's event to hone Waterja to R3, and having ten charges of -ja damage is sexy and cool. Now, to farm Black Orbs in order to R5 Biora and eat the Rinoa reissue alive. I may even farm extra Dark Orbs to hone that extra Biora the event will hand us.

I also cap-broke Eiko, but that's part of the standard fare. I expect to utterly mulch the boss rush with Vivi's Oak Staff and Carbuncle (did you know enemies can't counter reflected spells? Useful for Black Waltz 2!). I also caved in and honed Diaga to R3.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:14:10 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 25, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »
Apparently the Hard Mode is just +20% enemy HP according to the comments, which is pretty much the worst type of Hard Mode. It's possible there are also boosts to other stats and they just haven't noticed yet because earlygame G2 enemy offence, though, I dunno.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: August 25, 2015, 01:48:02 PM »
I'd actually shell out for G2 again if it was an actual worthwhile hard mode. Just +HP is weaksauce.

Shadowrun Hong Kong is a thing which now exists. I'm playing a shooty elf again because it worked too well the first time. I thought, oh I'll run rifles this time thinking it's like Berlin sniper rifles so that at least would be a little different, but no it's just assault rifles so I really am 100% copying Dead Man Switch Cid. Whatever, full auto hasn't failed to instantly murder anything yet so I find it hard to argue. Also based on portrait alone I'm trying to play a detached psychoanalyst who clinically acknowledges and manages teammate emotional reactions while providing absolutely zero emotional feedback in response. Dialogue options have been pretty accommodating so far.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: August 25, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
FFRK:  Apparently I can't get mastery on Hill Gigas without Eiko.  Curse these three-battle dungeons.  Oh well I'll feed her eggs and swap out Garnet.

FF Type-0 HD:  Bought this on Steam since it sounded more like Star Ocean than FF.  Not bad so far.  Damn that is a lot of PCs for an action RPG.  Mastered the second mission after I wiped and had to go back a long way because I hadn't saved.  Doing the Couerl Cave now and getting wiped because I am obviously not high enough level.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 25, 2015, 04:35:39 PM »
FF5 - So I'm finally in the mood to beat this. Redid all the stuff between Azure Magus (If that's not that boss's real name it fuckin' should be) and Twintania, remembering to steal the Genji Shield this time. Gilgamesh didn't show up for Necrophobe, so no Genji armor for me, but I also don't really care.

I'm bad. I looked up how to beat Shinryu and Omega while bored but without enough time to play. The easy Omega strategy means breaking my soft rule against having more than one character on a job (or just resetting until Faris gets two turns which is boring), and more importantly gets me nothing except ABP, so eff that. Shinryu, on the other hand, doesn't require me to break a rule and gets me... a slightly more powerful sword. Hey, it's something!

I switch Krile to Freelancer with White/Summon, give her the Masamune and a Mirage vest, give Lenna !Guard, then head into battle. Raise ends up being more useful than Arise since folks revive at critical, so auto-cover saves the day. It's a matter of keeping Blink up on Krile and wittling down the superboss from there. Return if I fuck up too badly to recover.  I do kind of like the design here, actually, in that it isn't feasible at all to fight him head on, making you have to rely on moves that you may not be using (!Guard/Cover, Berserk/Blink/late-game Raise, etc) to cheese him out. Makes him more of a puzzle than a boss.

That said I don't know how anyone had the patience to figure out his status weakness, and there REALLY should have been a save point immediately before him, not immediately after. Had Shinryu been right next to a save point, that would have minimized the time between failing and retrying, and made it much more palatable. As it is, without FAQing it not only is an uncharacteristically unwinnable-by-normal-means fight, it wears down your patience with each retry. But, with FAQing (and the Return spell. Did I mention that this is the BEST spell in the game? It's kinda superfluous in modern games that let you save anywhere and retry boss fights immediately, but in the 90's-early 2000's style of RPG it is fucking amazing for the game respecting your time and letting you retry (most) things immediately if you fuck up. Probably too good, really, since there's no penalty for fucking up. I think WA3+ hit a good balance in this area, what with it only letting you retry after you've reached the fail-state, and with it letting you choose between blowing a semi-rare currency or spending the time between save point to boss fight, but at this point holy shit am I getting off topic.)

And then it's Ex-Death time. Nothing special here. I will note though that I really enjoy the fact that the background art shows Exdeath's trunk extending up to the boss fight. Really neat touch there. Other than that, really lame final boss. Not the lamest FF Final Boss by any means (that maybe goes to Zeromus? Perhaps Chaos?), but it just died so quickly.

The ending was lame but nobody who likes this game likes it for the plot.

Final thoughts: As much as I shudder to agree with NEB about basically anything, this is a fucking great game. I'll even say it is straight up a better game than FF6. 6 absolutely wins in story, but 5's gameplay has aged way better than 6's story has. The gameplay shows its age, sure, but I still a lot of fun playing around with the classes and trying out skillset synergies. I had more fun with this, at least, than I did playing around with 6's skillsets.  The broken setups (Dual-Wield/Spellblade/Rapid Fire in particular) are obvious for the most part, but even the most minimal of self-inflicted restriction opens up the game a lot, and makes each character pretty distinct. I wish the standard battles were harder so that there was some necessity to making broken characters, but you do have to have some leeway for kids/newbies playing the game to not get completely wrecked, so oh well. I'm pretty tempted to do a fiesta challenge now, but I think my time may be better spent playing either FFD or Bravely Default if I want to keep barking up that tree.

The downside to that is that neither of those two games lets me frameskip, which has been absolutely crucial to my enjoyment of both FF5 and FF6.

All of my characters ended up being super useful, though I'd probably say Lenna was my LVP (and I couldn't have beaten Shinryu without her, so...). MVCrystal is easily the Wind Crystal, LVC is easily Earth.

And now onto the most important question... is this anime?  Some parts seem very anime. Bartz and Galuf swooning over Faris, Krile's feisty little girl trope, etc. etc. However, these are not exclusive to Japanese media, so you are racist if you think they are anime.  Therefore, this game gets a Not-Anime / Anime rating.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:38:15 PM by Makkotah »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 25, 2015, 05:26:26 PM »
Bravely Default has sceneskip for cutscenes and fast-forward for battles, which goes a long ways towards making up for no frameskip. Also random encounter rates that can be toggled between 0% and 200% which I wish every RPG would adopt.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 25, 2015, 05:34:17 PM »
Yeah, BD does have a lot of cool quality of life stuff (it also auto-saves at the start of every floor of a dungeon so a reset doesn't set you back that far... you can turn this option off if you're the personality type who dislikes the idea) which should make it pretty playable. FFD somewhat less so: it has a speed-up option in-battle but that's it, really, the no frameskip/sceneskip/encounter control (until late) is something of a drag.

EDIT: Also glad you enjoyed FF5, etc.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.