Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194528 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #3600 on: October 15, 2015, 09:42:27 PM »
It's certainly possible to make an erotic game without those issues (well, I think), but not within the dating game format (which I'm taking H-Game in this context as a specific form thereof), if that makes sense.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: October 15, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
I'm... not sure I buy that?

Mechanically there are tons of ways for dating sims to smack you for scummy behavior. That's all about scenario design.

If you're talking about gameism in and of itself... well, that's more complicated, since, devoid of emotion, all social interactions boil down to manipulating people to achieve a desired end. Hell, even with emotion involved, that happens. I do a nice thing for someone because I want that person to be happy, and I want them to be happy because it makes me happy. So I'm not really sure you can put that burden on the game.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: October 16, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
What you're saying is, we need to all be calm and replay School Days (or just watch School Days), which, sure you're a manipulative dick that gets freaky with all the chicks. BUT! You also get brutally murdered if you go too crazy with it.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: October 16, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: October 17, 2015, 04:12:38 AM »
Got into the Blade and Soul alpha test.  First thing I did was try to make a character that looked like Adray.  Had to compromise on a few things like hair color but it came out pretty good.

As for the game, I'm still in the easy tutorial stages so it's pretty much just facerolling things right now and figuring out what buttons do.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:20:59 AM by The Daleks »

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: October 17, 2015, 07:55:37 AM »
Had a marathon of Shadows of Mordor, beating, I believe, the first half of the game. No particularly interesting dudes spawned. It makes me kind of sad. I guess I don't have a nemesis. Maybe half 2 will give me a nemesis.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: October 17, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
If it's not too late, don't upgrade your health at all. Getting a nemesis is based on you dying lots, if you're too good or high-leveled then you'll never have anybody noteworthy.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: October 17, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »
Talos Principle PS4: I'm at the beginning of World C, getting red tetris pieces.
Wonderful game.
The puzzles are very interesting, there aren't many elements but the 3D perspective makes it a litte more complicated, if less "raw" than say overhead 2D puzzles. You have to get out of the first person perspective and think about the whole map as a whole. The items used in the puzzles are pretty unconventional (aside from the "box that you can put on switches") as are the obstacles. The game is starting to throw a lot of red herrings in the puzzles.
Atmosphere/storytimes are amazing and I really want to see more.

Knock Knock PS4: I don't understand anything

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: October 17, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
If it's not too late, don't upgrade your health at all. Getting a nemesis is based on you dying lots, if you're too good or high-leveled then you'll never have anybody noteworthy.

Can't it be a guy that runs away from YOU a lot, too? I seem to recall my first game's orc was a guy named Ashgarn the Uncatchable who would run away about as much as you think a guy with that name would.

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: October 17, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »
Alright, I know I haven't posted in a while (family issues plus a new job). Been on and off on FF14 and slowly treading through plot (mostly due to exhaustion and mostly because of my inherent laziness). Been playing Fate Grand Order and got three accounts through git and stress. mostly stress.

FGO: Right now, I'm waiting for the Halloween event. As for the three accounts, these are the main servants on each (links are so I don't spam the topic with pictures):

I'm trying to ascend (get more levels) on Meep's team first then Bluelike's team second. Psy isn't all that important, even with Nero on the team. Each team works differently and supports one another...dear gods help me...

Also, at the time of writing, I haven't put up Meep's team yet as I'm working on Bluelike atm. It will be up by the end of the night, however. Just a warning if you want to see the "main" account. Meep link is working now.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:08:40 AM by Meiousei »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: October 17, 2015, 11:24:51 PM »
First image isn't working for me.

Also three accounts holy shit. O_o

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: October 18, 2015, 01:29:12 AM »
yea, I mentioned that the first link isn't going to work just yet. I'll probably have the Meep account up in an hour connected to that link.

the funny thing about it is somehow the Bluelike account. keeps. getting. good. characters. Arturia and Vlad (5 Stars being the best). EMIYA, Arturia Alter, Atlanta, Lancelot, Stheno, D'eon being 4 Stars.

As for 3 accounts, I was bored. REALLY bored. I made an account before and didn't get lucky. And this was before they fixed re-rolling. So I made Bluelike in humor. And somehow that name got that lucky with ALL those characters. I made Meep while trying to nab the time limited Gilgamesh by rerolling. Meep and Bluelike are the true main accounts, with Meep being worked on the most. Psy was another account made during the Gilgamesh rush I did, but it got such good characters, I hung on to it. I don't really use Psy as much so it gets little love.

Like I said, it was made while I was stressed with a job...and I refuse to let go of Bluelike or Meep...but I can't let Psy rot away either, so I log in and try to keep all three as current as I can and run out of AP and jump to another...or refill.

UPDATE: The Meep link is updated now in my other post above.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:07:18 AM by Meiousei »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: October 18, 2015, 01:50:15 AM »
Talos Principle PS4: I'm at the beginning of World C, getting red tetris pieces.
Wonderful game.
The puzzles are very interesting, there aren't many elements but the 3D perspective makes it a litte more complicated, if less "raw" than say overhead 2D puzzles. You have to get out of the first person perspective and think about the whole map as a whole. The items used in the puzzles are pretty unconventional (aside from the "box that you can put on switches") as are the obstacles. The game is starting to throw a lot of red herrings in the puzzles.

Yes, everyone play Talos Principle.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: October 18, 2015, 03:10:16 AM »
Don't really do much game playing these days other than fiddle around with grand strategy games.  That said, those games still manage to be a fantastic time sink!

Europa Universalis IV - Meissner Porcelain Achievement Run - It's the very early 1700s, playing as Saxony, and I'm currently smashing the Ming and "Japan" (for some reason the AI-controlled Daimyo of Ouchi conquered all of Japan, yet declined to take the Japanese throne).  The goal of the campaign is to control every province that produces Chinaware, which is found only in China, Southeast Asia, Indonesia, and Japan...as Saxony (which starts smack dab in the middle of Germany).

A quick summary of events to this point:

Loaded the game up as Saxony (kind of required for the achievement) in the 1444 start date and immediately started internal Holy Roman Empire politics!  Allied France (because it's the unstoppable baguette of doom), Poland, and 2 of the Electors.  Spent the first few years eating territory from the bigger HRE princes, without full annexing anyone, while waiting for the first election.  Austrian Emperor dies and Saxony becomes Emperor.  Yay.  Spend the next several DECADES squashing internal HRE wars and force-releasing any HRE prince that was vassalized, expanding into Bohemia and Austria (to get access to the non-HRE countries of Hungary and Poland), and just generally passing Imperial Reforms and increasing my own territory (again without annexing anyone).  Somewhere in this time period I picked up Offensive ideas (can't go wrong with early god-tier Generals and stupidly good Policies that Offensive unlocks).

Start eating into Hungary by the late 1400s, just before the horrible Reformation hits.  The Reformation fired around 1510, and I made the stupid mistake of switching to Protestantism right away.  This caused me to lose the Imperial throne (to lowly one-province minor Anhalt, of all things).  To get my revenge, I take Religious ideas, and immediately start Holy Wars with just about everyone.  This lets me eat more land for cheap plus force convert all those heretical Catholics.  In the meantime, I continue annexing land to the East, eating most of Hungary and the Balkans until I'm bordering the Ottoman Empire.

Around 1560 or so, the Religious Leagues unlock.  I immediately join the Protestant League, wait for my allies (i.e. France) to join on my side, and declare war on poor little Anhalt.  The 30 Years War lasts more like 5, and I force convert every HRE prince that dared join the Catholic League.  With Protestantism entrenched, I am again crowned Emperor.  I continue the HRE politics and eventually pass Revoke the Privilege.  This is why keeping as many princes around as possible pays off: by passing this reform, I now have 54 vassal princes, each with an army of about 10,000.  With my Zerg swarm, it is time to eat the Kebab.

I Holy War the Ottomans and watch as my horde completely obliterates and full occupies the Ottoman Empire within a span of 2-3 years.  Too bad peace deals cap at 100% warscore.  I eat territory  all the way to the Timurids (somehow they haven't imploded) and spend the rest of my warscore releasing minor nations to keep Kebab busy.  From here, its a succession of fast, easy Holy Wars to crunch through the Timurids (releasing Afghanistan along the way), Yarkand, and Mongolia to make a beeline to the Orient.  I reach the western edges of the Ming in the mid-late 1600s (about 1670).

Ming is huge, but stupidly fragile.  I've taken multiple Military Ideas by this point (Offensive, Defensive, and Quality); I have Western Technology versus their Chinese Technology, so they are consistently about 4-5 Military Tech levels behind (which usually leads to about a 0.5 Tactics advantage, or roughly 50% military effectiveness advantage; and I have a vassal swarm of 500,000 troops or so (Ming can field an army of about 70,000).  Despite that, Ming has enough provinces to equal around 500% warscore, so it'll take several wars (with a 15 year truce between each war) to fully devour them.

The first war goes easy enough, as expected, and I take provinces that lead to Chinaware, and end up bisecting Ming.  I then notice during the truce period that Ming starts to collapse to rebels, releasing the nations of Shu and Wu.  They also lose some of their southern territory to Spain (two of which contain Chinaware, so Spain is going to be a future enemy).  I Holy War Shu and Wu and take what Chinaware provinces I can from them. 

My truce with Ming expires and I eat all their provinces bordering Spain (preventing Spain from expanding further) and reach a border with Dai Viet.  My truces with Shu and Wu also then expire, so I Holy War them again and take more of their land.  At this point, I have all the Chinaware provinces in China proper, minus the ones Spain holds.  This leaves about three

Next steps:  Holy War on Dai Viet to start the conquest of southeast Asia (which will also get me closer to Malacca/Indonesia).  I will also Holy War Japan, but that will require a navy (of which I do not have, having started as a landlocked German prince and not having much access to the water until just recently).  Given that it's still the early 1700s,  I should easily knock out the achievement requirements before the game ends in about 120 years.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: October 18, 2015, 04:04:06 AM »
So, what I'm reading here, is that ID is literally Hitler.

Nice Lebensraum bro.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: October 18, 2015, 05:52:04 AM »
Star Ocean 3 - Firewall. Spiderbots are douchebags. I'd kinda forgotten just how much of a resource grind the super-epic final dungeon is, definitely makes you want to watch your MP/revival use. Honestly the best thing about Adray is that Restoration does help here. (Not enough to offset having another good PC, probably, but it's nice.)

Fire Emblem Awakening - Got Nah, that map definitely took a few tries due to general nastiness. Also Gerome. Nah sadly isn't anywhere near cracking the team, being unable to immediately promote is pretty damning I think. Gerome I may try to use, we'll see. Inigo is next, he promises to be completely worthless.

Rayman Legends - Not much to add from my previous post.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: October 18, 2015, 06:00:52 AM »
Pft, Hitler has nothing on Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus and his desire to conquer the porcelain market.  He only wishes his domain extended this far (and in 1674 no less!).

Then again, he didn't have the advantage of a fully unified Holy Roman Empire at his beck and call, either, given how Napoleon smashed--then disbanded--a less unified coalition instead. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:04:18 AM by InfinityDragon »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: October 18, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
Ming is huge, but stupidly fragile.  I've taken multiple Military Ideas by this point (Offensive, Defensive, and Quality)

*Stare* You went more than a little warmongery in that case, holy hell. That is an obscene amount of gold as well, you can buy a navy  (Or anything) with that much money. I'm guessing you're playing more wide than tall (IE not spending points on upgrading your provinces) as well.   

So, what I'm reading here, is that ID is literally Hitler.

Nice Lebensraum bro.

Going Maximium Hitler is a time honored tradition in Paradox Games.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:24:48 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: October 18, 2015, 12:54:33 PM »
Wonderful game.

Yes, everyone play Talos Principle.

Yeah. It's a very thought provoking, insightful and sincere story about philosophy, faith, science, purpose, good and evil, civilization, IA, etc. It has the same writer as the Swapper and it shows. It's all in text dumps but it allows you to take them at your own pace, and brings a nice contrast to the puzzles.

The most interesting stories in games have come from puzzle games and walking simulators, and that probably has to do with their non violent approach. I wish this could translate to other kinds of games, though.

Anyway, I have 8 red sigils left to get. I only have 5 stars and I'm not sure I have the willpower to go back to get them all. I'd like to at least find 10 and unlock one door, though.
I like how when I'm stuck in a puzzle, I can just sit back and look at the delicate pieces of the puzzles, observe the ruins, the sky and the trees, listen to the birds and music. Very (solitary and) beautiful.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: October 18, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
The game's biggest issue is that if you get a messenger hint (and oh boy are they rare and precious) there's annoying useless extra UI there cluttering the bottom of the screen. So I wasted my only hint on an easy puzzle and have avoided getting any other. Which is bad because they give extra plot.

I am fairly sure that no matter what you say to him re: morality , Milton is playing devil's advocate (huh huh) and can always refute your points. That's IMO because there can be any absolute answer to theorical morality questions, and I might be wrong but I don't think the game actually offers that option. It has been fairly good otherwise re: that kind of stuff.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: October 18, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »
*Stare* You went more than a little warmongery in that case, holy hell. That is an obscene amount of gold as well, you can buy a navy  (Or anything) with that much money. I'm guessing you're playing more wide than tall (IE not spending points on upgrading your provinces) as well.

My income is off the charts, thanks to revoking the privilege.  50+ some odd vassals pay me a total of about 70 ducats a month.  I don't need mercenaries, since my vassals provide all the extra warm bodies I need, so most of that money sits around doing nothing.  I could buy buildings, but eh,

And while it's mostly been building wide, I've dumped my share of monarch points into development.  Basically, if I'm still ahead of time on tech, and my monarch point pool is approaching the cap (around 950 is when I start paying attention), I'll spend on development to buy my pool back down to 850 or so.  This happens mostly with Military and Diplomatic points.  Military points are useless beyond buying Tech upgrades (and the occasional general)...with all my ideas and traditions, I roll a God-Tier general on first try, so 50-100 points every few years is nothing.  Diplo points are just weak in the current version of the game.  Buying down war exhaustion is not needed, ever, when I have Defender of the Faith (and am the suzerain overlord of every Protestant nation, so I don't get DoF Call to Arms).

Given how smooth this run went, it may be time to shoot for Raja of the Rajput Reich achievement next...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: October 18, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
Elf: Yeah, Nah & Gerome's recruit maps are randomly the most brutal ones, they definitely feel balanced for ~C21 levels or so which is pretty late.  Stupid rotating doors that lure you into thinking characters are safe...  On the other hand, I don't see how Nah is particularly worse off than any other kid.  Sure she won't get the weird super-boost from Manakete double-promotion right away, but being L10 without the 30 previous levels under her belt means she levels pretty darn fast anyway, and as the most durable of the kids (even more so than Kjelle), she's one of the safest to grind up.

Inigo on the other hand...  his worth is all in the aftergame, so yeah, if you're not planning on doing that he's total trash.  (He IS a Male that can reasonably easily grab Galeforce if you bother to wait for Olivia being way overleveled for Hard Mode endgame.)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3622 on: October 18, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »
I'm more into CK2 with the ASoIaF mod myself.  Stared in the War of the Five Kings and am now a little over a century past that with House Stark on the Iron Throne, which ended up becoming the Empire of New Valyria when I conquered the Free Cities.  Most recently, one of my king's aunts was widowed so she decided to go to Mereen to confront the dragon there.  She then murdered it, apparently with no help whatsoever, and I realized that there are no rules against women in the Kingsguard, so I made her Lady Commander.  My previous dude had Greenseeing so he always knew when people wanted to murder me, which was nice, but this lady killed a dragon so that's gotta be a wash.

Also everyone's intermarried through House Stark so that's getting interesting.  I took a lot of time to get House Stark on five of the eight kingdoms and now it's going crazy.  Fortunately rather than everyone making a grab for the Iron Throne (I have the Free Cities and the Slaver's Bay Kingdoms to back me up) it meant that they're all fighting wars to take each others' Lordships.  That also means everyone's levies are depleted so their vassals are rising up to try and depose them.  House Bolton's trying to take out House Stark of Winterfell, House Stark of Highgarden was already deposed by the Florents (that guy was an idiot though so he had it coming), House Stark of Sunspear lost its last member in a war against House Dayne and House Lannister and House Tully are in an all-out throwdown.

Anyway, I picked up Mad Max for $20.  I don't know if I'd pay full price for it but that seems to go for most games.  Overall, a pretty enjoyable experience.  Finished the story last night; pretty typical Mad Max stuff, though it introduces an interesting motif in that the V8 Interceptor is a sort of purgatory for Max that I liked.  World design is pretty fantastic and there's a ton of little touches that I like.  There's a lot of empty space but that's definitely a design decision.  In fact, I feel like they probably compromised on how spread out they meant things for be for the sake of convenience.

Overall, combat's a lot of fun but I feel like the survival elements are understated.  It's set around Gastown so fuel isn't as much of an issue, but food and water supplies are a little too plentiful and a little too inconsequential, equating just to health recovery.  I understand that resource scarcity isn't the most popular thing when you're making a AAA game but a little tighter situation would have been nice.  They did a good job balancing shotgun ammo, for instance, limiting your ability to stockpile it.

You can see the seams but overall it's a fun game to tool around in and do general wasteland mayhem.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:57:32 PM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: October 18, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
Snowfire: The other kids gained this late can be promoted instantly to help them keep up, Nah doesn't have this. Kjelle, by comparison, can be obtained much earlier, so doesn't even need to promote ASAP, but can be anyway if you wish.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: October 18, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/13WZfRI.jpg?1[/timg]

Then again, he didn't have the advantage of a fully unified Holy Roman Empire at his beck and call, either, given how Napoleon smashed--then disbanded--a less unified coalition instead. 

OH GOD THOSE BORDERS. You have turned me into every sperg on Something Awful that I used to make fun of.
~~~~~~~
ASoIaF for CK2 is really weird and has to be approached totally differently. Like, your personal demesne has to be uncharacteristically small. I keep trying to get into it but it feels like a large percentage of the time is spent "doing nothing", but then again, I keep playing as relatively minor powers.

I've got several hundred hours into the game, but haven't touched it this last patch (lack of dollars will do that. Also, I'm more alert and want to play slightly more active games lately). It's pretty amazing, though. I had a vassal get to the point where they had more territory (and thus troops, power, and... so on.) than I did, which is generally not a position you want to be in. I threw a feast and the cocky little bastard pulled a serving wench down and cut her throat. This gave me the decision to arrest him without any kind of conflict and I was able to immediately banish him and revoke all the titles. My other vassals would have been furious, but they were all barons and mayors and no one gives a shit. Problem solved.

I like to think that poor girl was a national folk hero for generations.

EDIT... we don't have thumbnails?