Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194919 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #3925 on: December 18, 2015, 02:54:10 AM »
Final Fantasy Type-0: Started this up, played the first real mission of Chapter 2.

So far, battle system seems like it could be interesting and does rely heavily on who you use.  One thing I do have to slam the game for is in the prologue, they throw you against a boss with changing your non-Ace characters immediately.  Naturally you're going to want to try out new fighting styles...oh look, boss just murdered you before you had a chance!  Seriously, they really should have let you play as those two briefly before doing that.  The sad part is boss isn't that hard if you just use Ace like the game wants you to, but honestly, they should have kept it to Queen and Nine the entire way, maybe showing the others fighting in cutscenes to go "hey look, they are bad asses too!"

The voice acting is bad.  Well, ok, the narrative stuff was fine and those council members didn't stand out, but the actual Class Zero characters?  Little emotion, little inflection, really comes off like they're just reading scripts with putting just enough effort to make it "better than PS1 era voice acting."  Feels like this was a rushed job or something, and don't give me this "well, it was a PSP game!" nonsense (not sure why it'd matter), because Crisis Core and Dissidia were the same way and had way better voice acting (...ok, Dissidia had on and off moments, but even it's "off" moments demonstrated some sense of effort)

Likewise, you can totally tell this is a PSP game.  Game looks fine during gameplay segments, but in some cut-scenes, the character models look off...and again, "PSP game" doesn't feel like a full legitimate excuse as Crisis Core I remember looking significantly better.

Other things I notice?  Game seems to think it's a mainline game in the way it has the victory theme, Prelude, Chocobo Theme AND Moogle Theme.  On top of that, monsters actually resemble their traditional selves, like Bombs look like Bombs.  That latter aspect makes me scratch my head at people insisting this is the same universe as FF13, because so far nothing matches up other than the usage of the term "l'Cie" which feels like a carry over when the FNC was still a thing.  FF13 had FF enemies, but they all looked different from their classic look, like Bombs were in big octagon things.

Additionally, the OTHER terms don't match up.  Ok, Eidolon does, but Eidolon is used in many FF games, most obviously FF9, and Eidolons in Type-0 have a more classic look to them contrast to FF13's Eidolons which were very techno-organic in look; just compare Type-0's Odin to FF13's.  Other things?

-Moogles in FF13 were suppose to be considered a myth, to the point where they named Mog "Mog" in FF13-2 because he was believed to be the only Moogle so they named him after that.  Type-0, they're everywhere.
-"Magitek"; this term has been getting around lately, but FF13 notably never used it.  It had something similar in Mana Drive engines, but if this was FF13's world, they'd have called it Mana Drives.  The usage of the term "Magitek" is a specific term started in FF6 and reused a few times throughout, but never in FF13 to my recollection
-"Magicite" as well; again a term used throughout the franchise multiple times, but FF13 was not one of those times.
-The Lore just seems completely different.  The game talks about Magic being used like it's an art, but I believe FF13 states that it was a power granted to l'Cie by Fal'cie.  I think 13-2 suggests Serah gained her powers from wielding Mog, and Noel from training with Caius and gaining some Chaos powers or some crap, but I digress, they do seem to highly suggest that normal humans can't use magic.  Meanwhile, they talk about an ENTIRE COUNTRY using it as their primary weapon in Type-0.
-The Crystals.  Yeah, 4 crystals weren't a thing in Cocoon or Pulse last I checked!

I dunno, maybe playing the game further will throw more allusions...but this feels so drastically distant from FF13's setting outside of the term "l'Cie."  Like if the original FNC idea of there being more giant orbital cities LIKE Cocoon was clearly still a thing (which it's not; 13-2 pretty much killed that idea), and this was taking place on one of the others, thereby appropriately distant from the events of FF13 to not be affected by them, I could buy it, but so far?  Feels like any connections to FF13 this game has are just carry overs from the original idea, not actual intended connections.  Kind of like parallels you can draw between XG and CT in that regard, or DMC1 and the Resident Evil series.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: December 18, 2015, 04:48:43 AM »
From what little I've seen, Type-0 is as close as you can possibly get to being FF8 with better costumes.  Seriously those capes fucking nail it.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: December 18, 2015, 04:54:29 AM »
It is about inter-dimensional travel.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: December 20, 2015, 01:04:54 AM »
Meeple: I think the differences are "working as intended", just possibly not a great idea.  Type-0 is still a descendant from Fabula Nova Crystalis, but apparently the pretentious original intent really was for these to be separate universes that are "thematically connected", whatever that means.  By "tale of the new crystals" as the central idea.  Yeah.  Every game can then interpret whatever the hell that means on its own, except sharing a few terms.

It didn't really work.

(n.b. if anybody is bored, read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabula_Nova_Crystallis_Final_Fantasy#Themes & the Creation section and see if you can puzzle out WTF was going on.  Sheesh, I totally endorse wanting to use different casts of characters between games, but just do what Ivalice did and have big time gaps to explain away any differences.)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3929 on: December 20, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »
An idea from the FF13 development cycle didn't quite pan out?

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: December 20, 2015, 01:52:40 AM »
Almost done winning another game of Subterfuge.  Tried a no-mining game, where you have to control 50 outposts to win.  I don't like it as much as the standard game.  Here's what three princesses and two sentries looks like:

It's like having your own personal Death Star.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: December 20, 2015, 04:59:30 AM »
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - The legendary plot twists have me hoooked, this guy that we only met once's daughters are vampires?!?!?!

DMC3 - Just watched a srs cutscene and Dante riding a missile back to back
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3932 on: December 20, 2015, 05:34:36 AM »
Meeple: Apparently the whole FF13 and Type-0 connection is solely that they are two universes with the same gods (or at least Etro), which is why all the terms connected to her (l'Cie et al) are the same.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: December 20, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
Life is Strange Episode 2: I'm handling all the choices the same way I would irl

As a result everyone's life is pretty well worse off
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: December 20, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »
FF7 - Is this the only game where Magic Hammer drains MP in addition to damaging the enemy's supply? I can't remember it doing so elsewhere off the top of my head. It's also kinda hilarious that Square decided to add MP restoration to the already crazy broken Enemy Skill skillset.

Also, I know that you have to use the first limit of a level to learn the second, but getting a higher level just depends on getting kills, right? Feels a bit weird that Red and Yuffie haven't gotten their first L2 limit yet for me when Cloud's already on Climhazzard.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: December 20, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »
Different characters need different kill counts (usually the later you recruit the less they need).  Cloud takes like twice as many as the next closest.  Cloud be kill stealing yo.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: December 20, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
Nevermind, I just checked the limit menu and Red has L3 limit already. <_< Just didn't notice the messages that they unlocked, apparantly.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: December 20, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
For what it is worth, his level 3 and 4 suck anyway.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: December 20, 2015, 10:46:06 PM »
Bravely Default: Start of chapter 6.

I pick up all the blue chests. This gives me lots of chance to fight randoms. Undead die to Phoenix Down spam, most everything else dies to Dark Nebula, which thanks to Magic Sword Amp, Gloom, and Drain spellblade, can fully heal while doing mid-to-high 4 digit damage to everyone. It's not too hard to keep two PCs' Def higher than my DK's attack if she uses a sword (Excalibur, later Chaos Blade) and the other two get Dark Shields, so this works well and blitzes many randoms out of the gate. Black Cait Siths die to blizzard Beast Slayers and Dark Puddings die to Divine Knuckle beatdowns from other PCs. Ambushes and such still suck and can kill me if I get speedhaxed the turn after in particular.

Here are the blue chests of note for me:
-Yoichi Bow: My new strongest weapon, nothing remarkable about it otherwise.
-Muramasa: By far the most important reward, it allows me to Defang (Atk -20%) opponents, which is crucial for various upcoming bosses.
-Chaos Blade: A stronger sword, mostly useful for powering one-handed Dark Nebulas.
-Lustrous Shield: It's a shield with the best Def yet, it nulls light.
-Genji Helm, Royal Crown. Genji Armour: Boring upgrades to defence.
-Luminous Robe: Somewhat more significant, this has the same defences as an Adamant Vest (best storebought light armour) but also boosts light damage by 50%. This stacks beautifully with Divine Knuckles on a Monk.
-Brave Suit: Great defences, and gives you +1 BP to start the battle, which is great.

I get all the rest, mostly selling the superflouous stuff, though I keep the Genji Gloves (highest-def accessory, lol who uses accessories for that this late) and Death Axe (itemcast Kill, which slays enemies 10+ levels below the caster) just in case.

Chaugmar 3 - Well I have to do his dungeon anyway for the Genji Helm, and uh he's really easy now, see Chaugmar 2 except now I have two PCs with Minus Strike and can Defang him to make Energy Burst wussier.

The Dragons

At this point, there are quite a few things in Vampire Castle I want, and with Defang, I finally have the tools to go dragon hunting. So let's talk about them!

The dragons are almost identical bosses. Every third turn they will make the entire party weak to their element, and on all other turns they use a breath of that element. or a singletarget physical which isn't too scary. The big problem is that weakness + dragonbreath can OHKO people if they aren't defaulting, though tankier PC, and I'll be seeing that a lot. Defang reduces this to the point where tankier PCs can avoid this, which more importantly means they can avoid a 2HKO if they default. Since they can only use breath two turns in a row (since every third is used to inflict weakness), this is really key for having anyone but counter-users survive.

Nothing Ventured with Drain Spellblade is key to the fight, and I have two people (the maximum possible at this point) with it, allowing me to do good damage with draining counters on the turns breath is used. The other two PCs just try to survive on the breath turns by defaulting, then heal up. The Dark Knight will use a draining Minus Strike and Muramasa's Defang on the third turns to keep his Atk under control, while the Monk uses Pressure Point which does plenty of damage against their defence, so they basically use these turns to heal up. Counter-users can either default to save BP on the third turns, or refresh spellblade.

That's the theory anyway. If things go wrong then I try to use extra turns to revive, use X-Potions, etc. Generally any problems are manageable. Onto the specifics...

Salamander - Fire dragon. Unremarkable. Iceflame Shields null the first two turns, getting me plenty of time to set up. I know he's the easiest so I fight him first and use him to get my strategy down.

Wyvern - Wind dragon, also unremarkable, except this time the first two turns aren't free. One of my counterers has the Brave Suit, so I have her use Drain / Defang / Nothing Ventured on turn 2 to hopefully weaken the second breath if needed, and more X-Potions are required to patch things up in these opening rounds. But once I settle in, easy.

Shinryu - Light dragon, breath inflicts blind. Monk's blind immunity goes on all PCs, at the expense of some HP, typcially. Lustrous Shield can protect one PC who uses Defang turn 1. Resists holy, weak to dark, which means my Monk's Pressure Point is far weaker, but Dark Nebula scores a weakness, so I use Dark Nebulas on turn 3 and use Diamond Staff + Dark Shield Pressure Points for healing which isn't full, but tends to be adequate.

Ladon - Earth dragon, breath inflicts paralysis. Ranger's paralyse immunity goes on all PCs. Like wind, there's no easy opening rounds here, but past that there's nothing too notable.

Jabberwocky - Dark dragon, breath inflicts dread. This isn't a problem at all to the counter-users, for whom defaulting is a luxury which I can do without (I just refresh drain spellblade if they're suffering from fear on a turn divisible by three). For the other two PCs, dread could fuck them up by preventing default, so I buy one Courage Ring to go with the one I have already, and give them those. They lose some speed/damage but it's fine. Dark Shields protect both counter-users on the opening rounds.

Mizuchi (7 resets) - Okay this one is by far the worst.

This is the ice dragon, and Its breath inflicts stop ~50% of the time. There's no way to stop that (not even a Ribbon) except with a Time Mage passive, and I have no way to avoid the attack. This is pretty terrible and makes the whole fight a crapshoot. The biggest adaptations I make are to dispense with countering, since a counterstance which ends in my being stopped is a waste of BP. I just try to go for draining attacks on every third turn, applying Defang when I can, and in desperation, trying to go for draining attacks at the start of turns he might attack, if it will take me from "OHKOed even through default" to "can probably survive an attack if not defaulting". It's dicy, and needs some gambles, even on the winning run there are a couple of times where I make plans based on the assumption that if the boss uses Ice Breath this turn, I'll just lose. There's nothing remotely reliable about this strategy, but after a few tries it works out.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: December 21, 2015, 04:22:07 AM »
FF7 - Is this the only game where Magic Hammer drains MP in addition to damaging the enemy's supply? I can't remember it doing so elsewhere off the top of my head. It's also kinda hilarious that Square decided to add MP restoration to the already crazy broken Enemy Skill skillset.

To be fair, Magic Hammer is not exactly a common spell.  It's FF5, FF7 and FF9 only IIRC.  That said, yeah, only game it heals MP.

FF Type-0: Beat Chapter 2. 

Getting better sense of gameplay but I'll still with-hold judgment for later.  I need to play more of this.  It's not the game's fault I've been lagging; it's been a combination of things...mostly FF14, though considering my current scenario, I'm mostly relegating FF14 playing to weekends now so I can leave time for other things.  Cut back on the addiction and all that (I intend to time my playing of FF14 to Saturday mornings, so I can knock off Friday AND Saturday Dailies in the same go.) 

That said, Jack hits hard as hell, but good lord he can't move!  I was pissed off at the boss since I had 2 support characters I couldn't swap to while using Jack against a HIGHLY MOBILE BOSS! ...then boss crashes and becomes immobile and Jack slaughters him in 2 passes...so I realistically couldn't complain.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: December 21, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »
Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition: Bad end get? I guess?

Fun gameplay. Much more satisfying than Pirate's Curse. Powers are cool and varied and come at you pretty quick. Combat's fun. Game moves fast. Art style is great.

Holy shit does the Mexican Aesthetic and the goofy meme/reference humor clash weirdly sometimes.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: December 21, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
Bloodborne: HOLY SHIT THE WHIRLIGIG SAW. I TAKE EVERYTHING BACK THIS IS THE BEST WEAPON.
Oh my god it is so great. Cid was right. Strength build is the best. There is no way any other weapon can be better than this.
I'm sad I just used my only blood rock to upgrade the Amygdala Arm to full ;_;
In the DLC, I just beat the most important character in the game aside from Gerhalt and the doll? Yeah. Bloodborne doesn't have many important characters.

Nuclear Throne: This got an official release, and got released on PS4 and Vita. I bought it again.
PS4 version feels wrong. The graphics are wrong, the controls are wrong.
Vita version is cool. Controls are much less precise than KB + Mouse on PC, so I activated 100% autoaim in the settings. This... doesn't seem to do much, but I'll take any placebo effect thx.
I got very lucky and found the golden wrench as Steroids on my first hour or so of play. In runs I often find a second wrench or a screwdriver very early on, so I can just very easily go dual wielding melee weapon only and spam nonstop. This works really well with Long Arms (obviously), Stress, Euphoria, and Extra Feet, in that order. I did manage to loop once (=finish the game) with this setup despite still being terrible at it.
It is still an absurdly addictive game, and unlocking everything would take hundreds of hours. (but not be really useful. Binding of Isaac is better at this than Nuclear Throne, if nothing else)
The patches since I've last played make the game feel even better. Assassins got a big nerf (good idea), Lil Hunter got a big boost (he is the most dangerous boss IMO), the 0-1 boss is now fun, and the junkyard and palace are much more fun. A lot of things vaguely feel better but I'm not sure. Overall it is one of the very best games ever now.

1001 spikes: The game title lies. There are way more than 1001 spikes. Trust me on this. Way more.
This is essentially a masocore game (Like the Mario hacks and I wanna be the guy, but probably less difficult?)
I played through all of it in two days. I got severly addicted guys, and did not expect it at all. Just replaying levels over and over until I got everything right. You get through the whole game (it is impossible) then it goes "THE TRUE 1001 SPIKES STARTS HERE" and the second half of the game is unlocked and it is way more impossible. The hardest levels took 100+ tries.
There are no double jumps. The game has no friction, movement speed is fixed and the character immediately halts when you stop going in a direction. It is just a pure platformer hell. There are shiny trinkets to collect in every level, they unlock characters. The last unlocked character is Curly from Cave Story, she has a jetpack. Curly completely trivializes the game, but you can't play the second part until you've finished it with the default main character.

The only problem with this game is that its story is terrible. It would have been perfect with a La Mulana or Spelunky story, but it had to be stupid about it. There's no drive to go through the game to see the ending! And those sweet Ninja Gaiden-esque cutscenes are ruined!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:36:21 PM by Fenrir »

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: December 21, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »
Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition: Bad end get? I guess?

Yeah, good end requires finding the six orbs scattered around the game (most are only accessible after you get all the special moves, so you'd have to do extensive map-completion backtracking) and really only changes the ending; the gameplay prize for getting them is the ability to fly in chicken form.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: December 21, 2015, 09:02:56 PM »
Good news, fenrir. you can buy blood rocks for insight in the latest patch.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: December 21, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »
Huh that's pretty huge! Rocks were the rarest thing.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: December 21, 2015, 10:15:29 PM »
Well finally been a month of steady internet, so I guess I can actually post what I've been doing in the intern (Aside from FF14 Summoner and Fate Grand Order Nobu goshdarn silliness)

Who are you! And why are you playing FGO!?

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: December 21, 2015, 11:41:07 PM »
Good news, fenrir. you can buy blood rocks for insight in the latest patch.

WHAT. When did this happen? I knew you could buy chunks after a certain point (I want to say Unseen Village) but only for thirty insight a pop. I can only presume rocks would be at least as absurdly expensive. EDIT: yep, sixty insight. But chunks are only twenty now! Crazy, short ritual chalice still best way to farm chunks. (That thing actually works pretty well for me at this point.)

There's also 1x rock located near the end of the DLC, but if you can make it that far it's like what do you even need it for? Also it's past brains because of course it is. (It's still easier to get than the Nightmare of Mensis rock.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:12:58 AM by El Cideon »

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: December 22, 2015, 04:26:27 AM »
Who are you! And why are you playing FGO!?

Why am I playing it? Because I like the series. Plus I invoked the power of Meeple by naming my account "Meep" (which isn't a good thing). Why is it bad to? I have Gilgamesh, Okita, Jack the Ripper and Arturia. all 5*. And Gilgamesh likes to be a douche at times.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:28:44 AM by Meiousei »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: December 22, 2015, 04:29:57 AM »
Since I've played a weird amount of Metroidvania's lately I guess, here is my arbitrary ranking system:

Guacamelee > Dust > Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: December 22, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
Guacamelee is definitely the best Metroidvania I've played since OOE. Shantae lasted 30 minutes before I got bored.

I found out that Kingdom Hearts, the series with the most ridiculous game titles, has outdone itself: "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue" is coming out.
"Final Chapter Prologue" is just beautiful. "2.8" is nice, for all that I'd have liked a "5.6/2" more.