Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194854 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2500 on: August 11, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »
Ephraim they just want a hug <3
They have "Auto-Lick" which is the best sounding ability

RK: There are only two five stars hats apparently, so don't wish for them too much
I have seven cores trying to learn their OP SBs through daily dungeons and the first levels of the event. It's going slowly.
I am pretty sure the only good one is the bard's. I am curious about Summoner's that calls a random summon though. Can he randomly summon Odin or Bahamut? (My guess is no)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 11, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »
Nope. It's trash like Bomb and Mist Dragon or something.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 11, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
And Bard's relevance will disappear since Aeris' new SB is straight up better :(

Rip cores and thanks for everything, hinode's bard

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 11, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »
Final Fantasy God Wants Us To Autobattle - Welp, completed Lightning event's wussy path, unlocking her and Sazh on the way. Egged her all the way up to L42 and now I'm taking her to black power grindans, which is simply unskippable as of now. I considered grinding for lightning and wind power tomorrow, but her event drops a lot of Lightning Orbs, so I'm decently covered in that regard.

EDIT: a quick check tells me they replaced the Mog/Edward and Firion/Leon events (which were Japan-contextual, collab deals) with a single, week-long, Festival of Gold-like event where, in addition to those PCs, you'll get obscene amounts of gil, Mythril, upgrade materials and growth eggs. For people who missed Squall and Yuna, there'll also be an opportunity to get them again. This oughta be good.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:30:58 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 11, 2015, 01:53:42 PM »
Despite me not wanting to, I went against better judgment and tried to get that sexy gun.

50 mithril gone....no 5 star drops.

Boooooooo.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:05:29 PM by Scar »
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: August 11, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »
Mang, you just can't seem to catch a break.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 11, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »
Final Fantasy Sex, Autobattle, Sex - Still grindans. Anyhow, couldn't resist and spent another 15 Mythril on a 3-pull.

I got a Danjuro.

I swear, my gatcha luck in this game.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 11, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »
Danjuro, Will Robinson! Danjuro!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: August 11, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
=)

<3

Final Fantasy Autobattle Me With Ecstasy - I tried Schizo again and I even managed to improve my actions taken score, but no such luck on the damage taken one. I'll just give up on the extra Major Growth Egg. In other news, holy crap having two 5* daggers really opens up my party venues. Especially when one of them nearly breaks 100 Attack. What the fuck, game, giving me the best two daggers in the current meta.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:32:12 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2509 on: August 11, 2015, 07:32:14 PM »
Quote from: Snow
"Brag brag brag~"

Final Fantasy Lord of the RNGs: Lightning works really nicely in my party, so I egged her up to 47. I could egg her further but then she'd hit the Level Cap before I grabbed her crystal. I just noticed that she gets guns, which means she's the only Spellblader who can use ranged weapons IIRC (outside Keeper himself of course). Now I really want a 5* Gun... which means there's roughly a 0% chance of getting one. Sigh...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 11, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »
That's pretty much Lightning's big draw: ranged spellblading shenanigans. At least, the current event gives you two 3* guns, which you can combine. The next FF13 event will -also- have a copy of that same gun, so you can keep it shelved for upgrading it to 3++*. It's no natural 5*, of course, except when it -becomes- so in FF13 dungeons due to RS bonuses, so it could be worse. I'll be using her with the Keepsake Knife myself.

Also, if you care, in two weeks Eiko's event will be up and you'll get another shot at the Oak Staff.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:53 PM »
Final Fantasy (I Am Always) Touched By Your Autobattle - R5 Blizzaga under my belt. Brynhildr, your ass is -mine-.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: August 11, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »
Yeah Lightning could be pretty useful for those ranged battles.
I tried giving Loser Rinoa's chakram + spellblbades, and he was fucking useless.

My Danjuro has been one of my most used weapon, very useful on supports and bare handed characters.

Have I mentioned Waterja being really fucking good? I'm going to bring it to R4 before considering investing 4* fire/ice orbs into anything else. It only costs 18 big fire/ice orbs to get it from R3 to R4! (plus black orbs but I already have like 100 of them)

R4 Waterja could be an actual real thing, in my portfolio, soon-ish.
I suspect R4->R5 also only costs 25 fire/ice orbs, and if so, lol

I am being all Snow and getting orbs all day instead of doing the event. Just trying to get R5 Blizzara strike for the event boss. This + R4 Blizzaga should be enough.

EOU: Floor 18.
Floor 17 had like 30 of those stone trees that took ages to kill with bardz. Progress is slow.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 11, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »
Firaja / Blizzaja :
R1 costs 8 orbs
R1 -> R2 costs 15 orbs
R2 -> R3 costs 30 orbs
R3 -> R4 costs 45 orbs
R4 -> R5 costs 75 orbs
173 orbs total

Waterja:
R1 costs 3 orbs (ice and fire)
R1 -> R2 costs 6 orbs
R2 -> R3 costs 12 orbs
R3 -> R4 costs 18 orbs
R4 -> R5 costs 30 orbs
69 orbs of each element total
It's way easier to find a varied selection of orbs than only one kind of orb
It's the least resisted element outside of maybe wind but nobody cares about wind
Water is also good for your body

= OP

Invest in 2 R4 Waterja before even glancing at lowly Firaja/Blizzaja
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:58:06 PM by Fenrir »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »
Also finished Arkham Knight and am generally disgruntled. Maybe I'll do a longer post later.

Do share! Always interested to hear people complain about things that I also complain about.
Okay!

Arkham Knight: So, a lot of the problems I have with this are problems I have with general AAA game design. Here there are sidemissions all over the place and while they're not as annoying to deal with as objective vomit from something like a Far Cry or Assassin's Creed, several of the missions don't seem very well considered or designed. Like, oh okay there are bombs all over the city, let's upload a virus and then fight 40 tanks for no reason. Or let's take out a random outpost. That's not quite fair because some of the missions have at least some character interaction between villains that can be okay, but all of the villains outside of the Knight and Scarecrow are just doing random assorted things around the city and are relegated to side missions. As with Dragon Age Inquisition and some other games, there is a difficulty in maintaining a proper amount of tension in the main story for large open world games with a ton of sidequests. The main story ends up taking a backseat when you can just fly around beating the shit out of random people on the street for no particular reason or cruising around in your causing millions and millions of dollars of property damage. "Scarecrow must be stopped," but nah I'll just disarm some bombs and solve every crime that's going on in the city before I handle that. 

Because most of the villains are left for side missions, the confrontations don't tend to be very memorable, and you have an explicit sense of where you are in a quest because you are shown a little timeline of rewards every time you do something, which wasn't a good way of incentivizing things for me. The main problem is that the threats posed by each side mission was very abstracted or gamey in a way that eliminated all sense of a threat. Two-Face is going around robbing banks! (don't care). We need to destroy Penguin's gun caches or else something bad will happen! (doesn't matter). Some dude is setting fires all over the city! (if you fail to catch him it's all good). There are bombs around the city that need to be destroyed (will never go off if you leave them alone). There's a serial killer leaving bodies behind (you won't ever find him until you get far enough in the quest). There's some dude who wants to be your heir! (who cares). There are military APCs all over town! (god damn it I don't wanna drive). Rioters are confronting members of the fire department! (this is getting there but again, they will wait around to be saved forever). The Riddler quest has a bit of a hook because Catwoman is captured (the game's damselization of women is mildly problematic but that's another issue), but again, you can just sit on your hands forever and the Riddler won't do shit. 

I feel like nowadays, there are enough other gameplay ideas out there that would alleviate some of these issues. For example, this isn't quite a Nemesis system (Shadow of Mordor) idea, but if they had it so if you had encounters with really heavily armed Penguin folks out in the world, that would greatly incentivize you to deal with that sidequest and directly show that what you are doing has consequences in the world. You destroy his cache of guns, his goons are crippled and can easily be dealt with. You stop Two Face from robbing a bank, he gets fewer resources for future raids or something. If you don't deal with a bomb, it goes off and greatly hinders your ability to travel around in your stupid tank. I think a game like this that had time sensitive side missions actually could work, although it would be a little stressful, but god damn it, it would be stressful to solve every crime in an entire city, and that should be reflected somehow. The Nemesis system had it so if left alone, factions would get stronger. If implemented in this type of game, I think there could be something really special. I guess what was missing for me was a sense that anything I was doing in this open world meant anything. Your reward for doing stuff tends to be upgrade points but I think a better reward would be for your actions to have some tangible effect on the power structures that are in place, but maybe that's not the game they were trying to make.

The core of the gameplay is largely fine. Predator missions are still really gratifying still and I still hardly ever used the shiny new stuff available to you if I didn't feel I needed to. They have some twists like having dudes drones, dudes who can detect your detective mode, and dudes who can't be seen during detective mode but those are kind of rare. The one confrontation with the Knight that is all Predator mode is a fairly good encounter, albeit a little easy (dude do you never look directly below you?). Combat is still good, but when you need a special gadget against a specific type of enemy, the game tends to be good at targeting the one you need to use the gadget on, although the same isn't true of special combo takedowns (ALWAYS TAKE OUT BRUTES DAMN IT). The dual takedown situations are fun but tend to be over really fast. Medics could have been annoying but they're really easy to take down.

But the car. The fucking car. It doesn't control well enough to allow for precision driving but that is what you need for some of the things the game asks you to do. None of the Riddler driving missions were that bad, but whenever I failed, I never felt like it was my fault but that the car is weirdly floaty and goes too fast but sometimes too slow? I don't know how to describe it but it's annoying, and the game comes up with the most contrived situations in which you need the car. It's never for anything particularly creative, you either need to blow shit up or use the winch or power something up. I like the concept of having a remote control the car, but I didn't like any of what the car was used for. Tank combat is kind of stupid, and it gets ridiculous with some of the later parts where you need to beat up like 50 tanks on your own. Those segments aren't that hard, they're just annoying because there's a cacophany of lines and red shit and noises which are slightly overwhelming to the senses. Stealth tank combat is really stupid though.

I think the reckless abandon that the car is used for is one of the reasons I felt a little weird about the game. I think a lot of my thoughts can be summed up with this piece by Austin Walker (great writer, btw):

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/superheroes-cities-and-empty-streets/1100-5241/

I played Arkham Asylum and still love its smaller but tightly designed areas. I think one thing is that Knight is missing is a sense of place, and that's a criticism shared with a lot of big open world games. The huge locations are just places I have to drive through between different objectives. I never end up like I know what a place is like, excepting LA Noire, and that's because that was really meticulous and I recognized a lot of the landmarks in the game. But in Arkham Knight, Gotham is this destructible playground for Batman. You run your car into structures and it has no import, which brings up the question of whether I as Batman really give a shit about this place I'm supposed to be defending, since I have absolutely no problem just tearing through everything in it. A Gotham that Walker describes, where you get a sense of why people are there and why it is great and a sense that the city is a city and not just a large combat arena, that is what is missing. Superhero movies and games are just kinda boring if they're only power fantasies, but if there is a sense of loss or that you need to restrict yourself, that greatly increases the intrigue in a game like this. Everyone in Gotham after the evacuation is a criminal so you can just drive around like a fucking lunatic and run everyone down if you so choose (how does this not kill, by the way?). The possibility of collateral damage and having situations where you need to skillfully maneuver to avoid hurting citizens would be so much more appealing to me, but that's not there.

I don't read any of the Batman comics so I can't speak for very much on that front, but the story was kind of fine. The inclusion of Joker is interesting thematically but it highlights how weak the remaining villain cast is to have him having the biggest presence and him in your ear at all times. Scarecrow got a bit of an upgrade and he does seem like more of a threat. The plot is weirdly uneven and the Knight is sort of one note and then just kind of fades away. Not a fan of the ending but I haven't seen the 100% one. I'll have to youtube that since I'm not doing all this riddler shit.

Anyway yeah, it's the worst Arkham game I've played. It's still, like, okay, and I did a lot of the side missions in spite of the problems I outlined above, mostly as a thing to do rather than me actually wanting to do them. I don't regret playing it, but this could have been so much better.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: August 11, 2015, 11:28:29 PM »
I also stopped liking AAA games and superhero movies at the same time, Gourry

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 11, 2015, 11:59:27 PM »
Devil Survivor 2: Holy crap this game is hard.  I'm a level 60 strat RPG gamer so I'm still winning and not getting stuck or anything, but sheesh, I can see why they added an easy mode to this game.  Grinding does very little for you and you're chronically short on money and you're harshly MP limited on some of your best attacks with no way to get it back (as of yet), so using every little trick in the book to get an edge is really needed.  This is tentatively kind of cool, except when it's not.

Quick example: There's a dude you see getting beat down and instinctively know he's a good guy and to support him over the bad guys.  (Side rant: Our Silent Hero can totally flubs a Renegade prompt - the Boy Taking On The Hordes you're going to help asks if you're good guys or bad guys.  If you say "bad guys", you clearly don't do it in some kind of badass watch-me-crush-this-rioter's-skull type way, as Io clarifies with some kind of "It's not nice to lie!  We're good guys!" to cover for you.)  If you don't have any special movement abilities equipped, he's just gonna get rekt and die.  Come back into the fight with Flight + Distortion on 2 characters and it's fairly easy so that you can support him, but yeah, the game expects you to use tricks like that.  No particular problem with that from me.

Anyway, my most recent battle is slightly more rage-inducing, though.  There's a 2nd fight vs. brainwashed hacker lady.  Mission goal is to knock her unconscious (= beat her up in combat), except she creates miasma pools that summon reinforcements, and there's some superbadass demon squad that's guarding her with its leader like 16 levels ahead of you or anyone else.  Using guerrilla tactics, I drag the enemy attention around the map and send in a ninja strike squad to kill her, and just barely succeed before healers arrive (although I do eat a few attacks from the badass overlevel squad).  Yay!  Mission Complete!

...except then the mission objective changes from "kill the leader" to "destroy all demons."  WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS.  Argh!  Okay, the L35 enemy does disappear when you defeat the leader, but still, #$% you game.  Don't let me assume I can play around throwing everything at the boss only to be told I actually need to kill everything after all.  I somehow barely stagger through anyway with little MP and summoning the bottom of the barrel of my demon stock as fodder, but there'd have been some rage had I lost.  (I'm not against all changing up objectives on the fly - it's often very dramatic and 'realistic' to the demands placed in actual combat situations - but this particular one annoys me, don't change "defeat leader" to "rout", especially if there's good reason to think defeating the leader would clear the entire board of enemies.  She's a demon summoner & all.  If you want to change "get to this specific square to lower their defenses" to "defeat the enemies" or the like that's fine.)

Afterward the cast seems strangely uninterested in why or how the hacker lady was brainwashed and appear happy to abandon her and treat her as an ally.  Even assuming she IS on your side and not just faking, what's stopping her from getting brainwashed again?!  Aren't you at least a little interested or worried?

On the bright side, the DLC money grind map is only 99 cents.  This might be a rare time where I'd consider this as non-shenanigans to use.  (I wonder if it disqualifies you from the "didn't use free battles to grind" title?  Not that it matters, already lost it here.)

So yeah I can relate. Still I'd actually argue that the choices you make are a part of the gameplay and faqing makes you miss out.
Just like faqing Long Live the Queen to make no choices and get the best ending right away, sounds less satisfying and interesting than trying the game a bunch of time and not even getting a good ending before stopping playing.

This is true, but LLTQ is like 90 minutes long (maybe 120 minutes if you carefully plan out optimal mood adjustments or the like), and also lets you save-scum a tad to see / get past certain deaths.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 12, 2015, 01:10:05 AM »
FFRK: ...welp, this might be the end of me playing the game. It won't connect for some freaking reason, no matter where I am. No other game on my phone has this problem, just RK. Won't connect on the wi-fi, won't connect on the 4g, turning it off and back on fixes nothing, disconnecting from the wi-fi and reconnecting does nothing...dunno what to do at this point. <_>
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 12, 2015, 01:37:39 AM »
Yeah Lightning could be pretty useful for those ranged battles.
I tried giving Loser Rinoa's chakram + spellblbades, and he was fucking useless.

Rinoa's Valkyrie isn't so optimized for attack, but Loserface and being useless on offense, pick five.

Also, even though I don't regret honing Firaja to R2 (Waterja R2 + Firaja R2 > Edea and Proudclad), I have to agree with you on Waterja. I'm likely not even bothering to craft Blizzaja until it's either R4 or we get farmable Greater  Orbs dailies, whichever comes first. I'm likely honing Thundaja to R2 as well, but this is me and portfolio diversity. Heck, I may hone the -ga duplicates I have once I R5 Comet and Drain. And, worst comes to worst, I have R3 Quake already. So good for trash clearing and not too shabby on bosses either.

Final Fantasy God Loves Autobattle - I'm more or less done with black power until next week, not really getting significantly more than R5 Blizzaga. So, I'm back to running Lightning event. She's L48 and I already have Sazh's Memory Crystal. Once I get hers, I'll plop a couple more eggies and cap-break her. Afterwards, all of the eggs go to Sazh himself, since I need him at acceptable levels for Brynhildr. Seriously considering Tauntaliate strats there for maximum humiliation.

EDIT: Gate, is it a problem with Google Play services? I heard on reddit that people were having issues connecting due to it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:40:37 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 12, 2015, 01:57:11 AM »
Snow: I have no idea? I have no issues playing Terra Battle or PaD, so...if those also use Google Play then no? But I have no idea how to see what they use.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: August 12, 2015, 02:14:26 AM »
Maybe trying a hard shutdown might help. Updating Google Play might also do the trick if you use it at all, since I heard there was a sketchy update which gave issues and a fix was made available a short while ago.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 12, 2015, 03:22:34 AM »
Gate that happens pretty frequently to me with Terra Battle rather than FFRK, but it goes away after a while.

Has anyone gotten the Cloud event to work correctly?  I did Mako 1 and 5, but the special button never lit up or had a quest for me.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 12, 2015, 03:51:45 AM »
Quitting solves the problem more efficiently and completely.

Machina of the Planet Tree -Planet Rule- - This game is somewhere between Trancey and Niu on the trashy JRPG scale.  It is super RPG Maker, but that's fine for something trashy to get on special.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 12, 2015, 06:18:29 AM »
I also stopped liking AAA games and superhero movies at the same time, Gourry
I still feel like someone could do a superhero game well if it weren't "lol I'm basically invincible" and touched on some of the things I mentioned in my post, and I don't even think that some of those things are antithetical to a AAA model. My issue is that lately companies seem to be intent on delivering similar huge open world games with a lot to "do" but ultimately the large amount of content which masks the fact that the worlds themselves are lacking in substance. They tend to be graphically very impressive but they're just sets of action movies rather than actual places. That's why I'm kind of interested in the Witcher 3 since people say that's an actual world.

Superhero movies are a different thing, I'm fatigued on them for different reasons but I guess it's similar to AAA because there's a homogeneity to it all.

Anyway, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture looks a bit interesting but people have a large love it or hate it thing with it (some saying it's a walking simulator in its most pejorative sense) so I'll wait and see.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 12, 2015, 06:35:46 AM »
It is a Chinese Room game, I figure anyone that is interested in what they do is aware of what they are getting into at this point.

Machina blah blah blah - Ice dungeon has a Freeze status as a random chance on some enemies, it is a debilitating status that enemies can't knock you out of when they hit you.  It is on a MT attack.  Proc on all three party members at once.  lol

something we literally yanked out of early game RPG maker game some of us were working on for that very reason.  Good job.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.