Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194897 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #1500 on: June 15, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »
FFRK: Fenrir's not kidding about the Gold Saucer event. I max-leveled like 6 PCs with this event. I also blew a Mythril and grabbed Garnet and Vivi and now they're getting maxed too. I'm actually running out of PCs to max. The gold saucer event is also super-fun because there's no boss so you can actually use skills throughout strategically instead of hoarding them for the sack of HP at the end like most dungeons. Super-profitable too. I'm getting 60-70,000 exp per run plus more upgrade materials than I can handle (literally, I'm selling the lower-level ones to make space). Not to mention a shit-ton of gil to make abilities and upgrade weapons.

I also did a 5-mythril one-relic draw on a whim and got Tidus' Brotherhood, meaning he is now officially my best character and I couldn't be happier. I now have enough 5-star equips to outfit a full party if I select carefully! This makes the high-level fights possible, and they are actually genuinely challenging and fun to play. I'm quite glad I stuck with the game despite having an initially lukewarm reaction to it.

Also, yay for FF9 music in a game without having to replay FF9~

Smash4: Finally gave in and picked up my own Japanese copy of the WiiU version. I wanted to wait until I got a chance to grab an English one, but fuck yeah Ryu/Roy/Lucas in the same day. I am especially happy about Ryu~

Got a Fox amiibo too, found randomly in a mall. Did they get a restock recently? How does one even find out about these restocks?

Still, a good day for collecting characters!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 15, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »
Heroic still pushes my shit in (Because 3 star items 4 evers lol) honestly.  I guess I should go more.  I chain ran Exp yesterday because that was fine.

Also I kind of got sick of selling Adamantite because the game refuses to give me new armour.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 15, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
even with the worst team you should be able to clear one wave of heroic saucer and that's all you really need.

I am fusing all the extra adamantite into my shitty three stars weapons now, because you never know

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 15, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
Got Vivi and Garnet, probably going to powerlevel them in Gold Saucer for great profit.

EDIT:

Saints Row 4 - The one where they had mansex.

Tangentially, I also bought Civ 4 and 5, all DLC content included, on the Steam summer sale. If you guys never see me again in the next few weeks, you know why.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:43:00 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 15, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »
Necrodancer: When the Necrodancer is summoning enemies, I really hope the script the VA is reading from says "Rihanna-mate"

I don't even like Rihanna all that much I just hope that that is infact a thing

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: June 16, 2015, 01:00:27 AM »
Final Fantasy Embodiment of Autobattle Devil - Holy -shit- Heroic Gold Saucer is disproportionately easy given how much XP it bestows. Also, Quake rules on things that don't immune it. Hilariously, FF6 Darkwings are among those things! Good thing too, those fuckers hit really hard with Dive.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 16, 2015, 01:39:23 AM »
even with the worst team you should be able to clear one wave of heroic saucer and that's all you really need.

White Mage/Black Mage/Summoner in their mid-20s can't. Hell, I couldn't get them to survive a round of Hard with any consistency.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 16, 2015, 02:47:34 AM »
VP2: Man Phyress is the best, definitely earlygame MVP except oh wait now I have to toss her out of the party for a while because volcano lair. Boo. I'm sorely tempted to do something ridiculous like full archer party because 4x Stardust launch would be amazing to watch, but I just don't have enough decent bows for it. (And no there isn't any way anyone can talk me into a party full of sorcerers, I don't even use one.)

Hrist do you have any idea how long it will take to dig a grave with a sword. That is not the ideal excavation implement. Hell, your shield would work better, certainly better than it would as a pillow Alicia, are you a Klingon or something?

Oh, the game triggered one of its random einherjar dialogue things between Phyress and (apparently) her daughter. This was super confusing because they have the same VA. God dammit, S-E.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:27 AM »
Necrodancer: When the Necrodancer is summoning enemies, I really hope the script the VA is reading from says "Rihanna-mate"

Stop reminding me I need to cave and get a dance pad.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 16, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »

Stop reminding me I need to cave and get a dance pad.

Just play with a keyboard. Honestly it's flustering enough without adding dance pad coordination into it. Unless you've already played with a keyboard and want to go back and play with a dance pad, in which case you should go cave and get a dance pad.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: June 16, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »
Final Fantasy 69 Autobattle Songs - The Garnet event is really lax in comparison to Tidus'. I've gotten to the point where enemies no longer get OHKOed by autobattle, but Quake and Garnet summoning actually help out pretty notably there. Even Mist Dragon is pretty efficient, and -that- I have at Rank 2.

In fact, Garnet's actually a rather good PC. Rank 4 White Magic gets you everything important so far but Holy, and that gets covered fairly well in niche by Summons, which, limited as they are, actually pack one hell of a punch. And she has superior stats to Rydia in a bunch of relevant areas (she's a point lower in Magic, ohnoes. They're also equal in speed and Garnet's only one point higher in Res, but that's easily compensated by having about 15% more HP). Garnet's L4 in White is honestly bigger than Rydia's L2 White/L3 Black (I honestly don't understand why Rydia's rank in Black isn't higher). If you're looking for someone to cover summoning, you probably want Garnet rather than Rydia. As far as dedicated healers go, there -are- better for raw skill, but then, Song of Memories is also great support (MT attack buff! In a game where, at this power level, you want most of your party physical!) and Garnet, along with Rinoa, is about the most durable pure magic PC to have appeared so far by an actually significant margin (Celes is mostly physical, Terra is a mixed type. Neither really -does- get into Garnet's niche anyway, since neither has Summon and Garnet has a higher White rank than both).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:05:14 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 16, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Looking at them, how is Rinoa pure Magic but Terra a hybrid?  They have very similar stats, and while Terra gets swords, Rinoa gets Ranged Weapons giving her an adequate physical too (plus she gets 2* Celerity! ...yeah that sounds completely "whocares/10"), so it's a case of Terra's stronger physical vs. Rinoa's full damage from Back Row.  Feels like the statement can be applied to both *shrugs*
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: June 16, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »
Meeple you are the most transparent Terra fan

I got the Necrodancer OST on itunes, unfortunately, the alternate tracks aren't included. (The shopkeeper tracks are, though)

FFRK: Festival of gold is down. :( :( :(

Even with a full level 50 team with 5* stuff only, I get wrecked by the second to last boss(es) in the FFX event. I don't even want to try the Chocobo Eater.

I don't really know what to do to beat those events except crafting/honing a ton more skills.

So right now I'm still ignoring the FF9 event to farm some orbs instead. All these orbs are going towards finishing quests and getting Cloud more-ra strikes. Newsflash, dude is ridiculous. Right now he has 6 Fira strikes, 6 Blizzara strikes. They're each doing about as much damage as a single Thundaja from Vanille. And they can be buffed easily, unlike Thundaja

Does anyone know how long Protectga lasts? I'm a bit disappointed by the buff/debuff duration so far. Bard + defense debuff is awesome but just doesn't last long enough.

The events can be disappointing challenge wise because the battles go: Tons of super easy autobattle fests -> One very interesting grueling battle -> Impossible Death Dragons of Doom With One Billion Trillon HPs Even Though They Only Are Easy Earlygame Bosses Like LNDTRTL

Wakka has broken the level cap, unfortunately he's still Wakka. Wakka got a lot worse lately: Bard is quite clearly the best friend summon for me, and Bard eclipses Wakka's biggest advantage (the ATK boosting spell)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: June 16, 2015, 07:10:07 PM »
Looking at them, how is Rinoa pure Magic but Terra a hybrid?  They have very similar stats, and while Terra gets swords, Rinoa gets Ranged Weapons giving her an adequate physical too (plus she gets 2* Celerity! ...yeah that sounds completely "whocares/10"), so it's a case of Terra's stronger physical vs. Rinoa's full damage from Back Row.  Feels like the statement can be applied to both *shrugs*

Yeah, I misfired there. Both Terra and Rinoa are primary mages with a decentish physical, Terra's main advantage over her being the option of wearing armor for better defense. Having Support 4 over Rinoa is also a plus, since that nets her the high-level stat breaks, which are really damn potent. Rinoa, on the other hand, has the ranged physical option and a better L2 Soul Break for bosses (Angel Wing is obscenely damaging when focused).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:12:26 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: June 16, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »
Even with a full level 50 team with 5* stuff only, I get wrecked by the second to last boss(es) in the FFX event. I don't even want to try the Chocobo Eater.

I don't really know what to do to beat those events except crafting/honing a ton more skills.

From what I read, the trick with the Sinspawns is status. Hope you have some Busters honed.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: June 16, 2015, 07:31:45 PM »
I finished the first Sinspawn fight on my knees, then a second Sinspawn: Sinspawn harder appeared and killed Vanille. I just gave up. I don't think my status would help that much unless it lasted ages. Need2hone

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 16, 2015, 08:09:10 PM »
The status really tones down on the need to heal and spend charges in general and lasts considerably longer than buffs/debuffs do (it's a tradeoff - buffs and debuffs are perfect accuracy on everything, status can actually fail to land). Landing Silence and Blind (and sometimes even only one of them) -completely- trivializes a lot of shit. That's how I championed Elite Lich, for an example, and Mental Break + Blind made Elite Nymph on Garnet's event a chump (when she normally could 2HKO any of my party members at will).

For Sinspawn Ammes specifically, you want to leave one Scale alive, sleep it, then silence Ammes itself.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:36:05 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 16, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »
Okay I really need to start crafting all that then.
Still, the first Sinspawn battle took a really long time and I don't want to go through all this again

Terra is weird in that her battleredmage niche would be pretty awful (Just ask Gordon) She has swords and armor but you really don't want someone with middling HPs/defense on the front row in a hard battle (and easy battles don't matter) Luneth already feels squishy and he's more durable.
Support 4 is good but sacrificing half your abilities for a support spell doesn't when you're a mage?

She still seems pretty decent thanks to raw stats, as she somehow got Black magic 5 and high magic.
In the end she's probably better as a pure tanky back row mage without a sword, and she's good that way.

J/k she is sub Jogurt eternal puny confirmed

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:21 PM »
The tanky niche is actually pretty big (magic boosts on mage equips are kinda paltry and all). Terra sounds like a good addition if you want survivability. Also, I figured out Vivi's point, which is dealing so damn much damage. I was popping 7k damage Firagas post-Focus -without- hitting weakness, which is utterly ridiculous. Not sure it makes up for the lack of skillset versatility, but it's telling that he's actually valuable for randoms now that I have some decently honed spells and Quake.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 16, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
Best way of handling Sinspawn Ammes/Echuilles on Elite is probably to combine Cecil's Sentinel Soul Break via Friend Summon, which makes all ST physicals target the user, with Retaliate. That way you can both ignore the Sinscales and get extra dps out of them. Incidentally, Retaliate auto-targets whichever enemy has the lowest percentage of max HP, so if you leave the sinscales untouched but poke the main boss at least once all the Rretaliate damage will aim for the big guy.

Oh, and Intimidate works on every boss in the Tidus event except Gui with a highish base hit rate (50%, apparantly), notable since paralyze is one of the best status effects in the game.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 16, 2015, 11:50:12 PM »
The problem there is mostly -getting- a Friend Summon with Sentinel, it's pretty rare even if you happen to follow someone like that. It's a solid strategy anyway.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 17, 2015, 04:50:16 AM »
FFRK:  The minor name changes to enemies has kind of bugged me, but it's nothing I can't live with...

..."Orthros"

*uninstalls game*

Did second 50-mythril pull, got 1 five star and 3 four stars, all armor.

*uninstalls again*

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 17, 2015, 04:58:39 AM »
Yeah I have no idea how Square Enix US (or whoever) decided it was a good idea to just rename characters in later versions of the game. Can you imagine if George Lucas had renamed Luke Skywalker to Luke Heavenstrider in the Star Wars remakes? Okay, I can, but it would still be terrible.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 17, 2015, 05:09:54 AM »
Final Fantasy Rhythm Autobattle - So I figured I had 40 Mythril sitting around and they're releasing new world dungeons soon, so why not roll the dice for some gear? Did a three-relic draw, got a three-star junk knuckle, a four-star katana... AND VIVI'S OAK STAFF YEEEEEEEEEEEEES. Elite Sealion, your ass is so mine.

On the second draw, also got a five-star robe, which should be useful to prop one of my mages' durability, but OAK STAFF HELL YES

EDIT: also changed my Roaming Warrior to Vivi plz summon
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:15:02 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 17, 2015, 07:11:36 AM »
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones: There's a Steam sale on and I'm playing old emulated Fire Emblem games.  Fail.

Finally gave up hope of it ever coming to 3DS store and just playing it emulated.  This has its own advantages, in a jury-rigged speed-up enemy turn functionality as well as mid-battle saves.  Yeah, yeah, I know that part of the appeal of FE is that every decision can matter, but that's a disadvantage when the "decision" is the equivalent of a misclick, something that can happen pretty easily!  I think I've sent back 3 equipped weapons to the supply due to clicking forward too fast when picking up new items, and even ate a casualty off of "Amelia moves next to Eirika, grabs a Sword from the stash to replace her broken one, but fails to equip it leading to getting barely 2-rounded by axe dudes @65 HIT instead of likely not 2-rounded @35 hit or so."  Also move healer in, but default staff location is the 1 HP off somebody who just leveled up, not the horrible bleeding corpse in front.  I like being able to move fast and write off the occasional mistake, since the maps can be kinda long.  BUT I'm trying to be diligent and not level-up cheeze.  (I think I may have done this once or twice, but I'd probably do that on a real cart, too, if it happens soon enough.)

Anyway.  Trying Hard mode but Eirika mode (did Normal Eph eons ago).  Also trying to use some different characters, but within reason (i.e. waiting for Rennac when Colm & Neimi both start turning out very good?  nope.jpg).  Random thoughts:

Chapters 1-8 (aka pre-split): MOSTLY just snoozes where the AI is set to the very simple "attack people who wander into my wakeup range = threat range, sit still otherwise."  And very friendly-to-the-player architecture.  Chap 3, Bazba's Bandits, is especially notable: there are doors and breakable walls that you're clearly supposed to open, but my Eirika will do no such chivalrous thing.  The bandits will die, trapped in their own rooms, because they weren't given permission to open the doors themselves and I have wall-piercing arrows or something.  Chapter 5 is okay at least, you have to move sorta quickly to deal with brigands and safely recruit Joshua, although I'm frankly not a fan of this "old FE" thing that was obsessed with having all recruits be enemies you have to talk to.

There is one exception, which is Chapter 6, the fog of war map with a time limit before the civilians are devoured by spiders.  I guess there is at least the option to play this map really slow and just let 'em be devoured (why would you want to promote Neimi to Sniper anyway), but even still this map would still not be easy!  I avoided using Seth earlier but this is very much a map to break out the Sethinator on, and even he isn't foolproof with various enemies carrying cavalier-killer weapons.  Sheesh, not a gentle difficulty curve at all, which is okay I guess (you wouldn't want things to be at max volume constantly, it'd be impossible to train up weaker units).

Elf mentioned that C8, "It's a Trap!", is legit, but not really seeing it.  The enemy AI here is still "stand still and wait for doom", and it doesn't seem to use later tech from the likes of FE11/12/13 where aggroing one guy will aggro all his friends too.  Nope, you can lure the knights guarding the treasure rooms out 1-2 at a time pretty easily, and the thief arrives really really late even taking it slow (and then steals my Elixir before I can steal his lockpicks.  Sigh.  I guess I'll settle for taking the Elixir back.)  The boss, Tirado, has pretty badass Def & Res (doesn't get fried to Lute, weirdly enough...)....  but...  uh, Reigenleif, and to a lesser extent Rapier/Armorslayer exist.  So yeah, more an excuse to show off Eph being a badass.

After the split, it's new territory for me.  C9 is interesting and difficult but slightly unintuitive: both villagers are under immediate siege by pirates, and you will probably have to reset the first time for moving insufficiently slowly on them.  Even if you get them, the game doesn't warn you that Amelia will wander off on turn 12, so Eirika also needs to hustle it on over to recruit her.  More "break out the Seth" time.  C10 you similarly get to rush around and is pretty fun.  C11 is mechanically sorta easy, but has Fog of War and a Deathgoyle who will kick your ass in the SE corner, and also has an annoying mechanic (sorta in C10 as well?): enemy reinforcements triggering on poking your head in the wrong spot.  So Colm checks out the SE corner himself and they bum rush in leading to a reload from the Deathgoyle; but I approach the corner in force, the enemy moves, then I crush them where they stand knowing about it.  How dare I try and move quickly rather than methodically, etc.  There's some minor time pressure in not letting the Recover staff get stolen from a chest, but it's not too bad (and you kinda want it stolen anyway, at least on your time, saves a lockpick if you can kill the thief afterward).

C12  is a total yawn, lowish level monster fodder that mostly stands still.  I guess because maybe you're supposed to train up Ewan here?

Anyway...  running Eirika, Tana, Ross, Colm, Neimi, Lute, Amelia (Cav), Gerik, Marisa, & L'Arachel at the moment.  Forde & Joshua were looking okay but eh, used 'em last game too bad.  Natasha...  UGH, staff XP is a thing, even moving slowly and spamming healz like crazy she's still a bit behind on level and became obsolete as a staff bot once Saleh joined.  L'Arachel, argh, you look at her stats and they are crazy good, almost as good as Natasha's despite being 10 levels lower, but then you remember the horrible staff XP formula and how it doesn't really accelerate when you're "behind", which at least the trainees get from kill-feeding.  We'll see how far I can get her before I get frustrated and early-promote her.

Speaking of trainees, I ignored 'em last run and am using both Ross & Amelia this run.  Pirate Ross was super-helpful in Eirika C9 with helping distract the invading pirates from the delicious village (along with a seaborne Colm), so good on him.  Amelia is...  totally awful on join, ugh, 4 move and gets doubled and killed by anything that can counterattack her even if chipped into fatal, so god forbid attempting to grind her on a real cart.  Luckily there are some archers at the end of C9, and more importantly, the boss can be lured into equipping a bow...  I almost never boss grind in FE games, but damn if this isn't way saner than trying to safely give Amelia kills.  Amelia does a 2-3 damage poke of the boss for huge XP, rescue, take, drop, repeat next turn while the boss shoots at Joshua.  Joshua & Natasha even hit their B support conversation which involves dodging arrows and curing for wounds during it, very appropriate (I got 'em married before ditching 'em from the team).  Once this is done, she becomes a great Cavalier, with stats close to L11 Forde except for Defense...  nice.  Marisa is turning out pretty good for me as well, I know that she can get Str-screwed sometimes but that hasn't happened so far.