imageRegister

Author Topic: Books  (Read 158650 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1400 on: June 02, 2018, 09:56:01 PM »
Flowers for Vashnoi- Vorkosigan short story. Enrique was a fun character to revisit and it was neat enough even if I'm not a huge fan of Kat. Related: Why is it that the most unquestionably positive mental image you get of Piotr in the series remains from freaking Cordelia?

I enjoyed it. Not fantastic, but very solid which is welcome after Gentleman Jole. Ekaterin is just fine when you can be in her mind, not so great out of it. FfV is sort of like her own personal Mountains of Mourning, if not quite as viscerally personal, affecting, and formative as that was for Miles. Seeing Enrique again was great though.

As for Piotr... she's the only character we really get to see interact with Piotr in any real extent other than the one chapter with Miles in the beginning of Warrior's Apprentice. You see all his different features as a person, positive and negative, and through Cordelia's eyes it is relatively unvarnished by a lens of filial relationship or responsibility. Miles is the one who lets Piotr's expectations for him weigh on him. We never get inside Aral's head. And no one else in the series that gets a viewpoint knew him or had a very close relationship with him. Plus you know, he was a complicated, stubborn man who lived a rough life at most of its stages due to repeated tragedies and war, and his redemption to his family came in a time period we skipped over. Not a whole lot of opportunity there.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 06, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
Also note that despite John Scalzi being the evil Pope of SJWism according to the Sad Puppies later, this book really doesn't qualify.  It's not about an agender mixed race protagonist attempting to overthrow a thinly disguised metaphor for European imperialism or anything (if you WANT that, check out Ancillary Justice, of course), it's exactly the kind of crazy adventure that the Sad Puppies theoretically want.  But I guess they really don't like his pithy blog posts.  Well sucks to be them I guess.

I'm only around a month late for this reply, but whatever. If you want the real SJW stuff, read Lock In and Head On. I won't say more because the discovery is half the fun. They're interesting near-future SF crime drama books from the PoV of the inspectors.

The Dispatcher is also a quick read (which it should be since it's a novella that was written to be an audiobook first) SF crime drama that's probably worth the two hours it would take to get through it. I only read it, but the audiobook was supposed to be a great experience too.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 07, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »
Flowers for Vashnoi- Vorkosigan short story. Enrique was a fun character to revisit and it was neat enough even if I'm not a huge fan of Kat. Related: Why is it that the most unquestionably positive mental image you get of Piotr in the series remains from freaking Cordelia?

I enjoyed it. Not fantastic, but very solid which is welcome after Gentleman Jole. Ekaterin is just fine when you can be in her mind, not so great out of it. FfV is sort of like her own personal Mountains of Mourning, if not quite as viscerally personal, affecting, and formative as that was for Miles. Seeing Enrique again was great though.

As for Piotr... she's the only character we really get to see interact with Piotr in any real extent other than the one chapter with Miles in the beginning of Warrior's Apprentice. You see all his different features as a person, positive and negative, and through Cordelia's eyes it is relatively unvarnished by a lens of filial relationship or responsibility. Miles is the one who lets Piotr's expectations for him weigh on him. We never get inside Aral's head. And no one else in the series that gets a viewpoint knew him or had a very close relationship with him. Plus you know, he was a complicated, stubborn man who lived a rough life at most of its stages due to repeated tragedies and war, and his redemption to his family came in a time period we skipped over. Not a whole lot of opportunity there.

*nod* In Mountains of Mourning Miles thinks that Piotr couldn't adapt to him being a mutant. I think that's wrong; he supported Miles growing up in his own way and imprinted his values on him strongly.   I totally understand the urge to look back on him as Bujold gets older; I reflect a fair bit on my maternal grandparents now and the impact they had on my life.

Also, going to the Jim Butcher signing this Saturday in McLean. I'm looking forward to reading Brief Cases.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »
Yo I am in need of some Fantasy Bookes for summer reading.  Suggestions?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: June 10, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »
6. Neil Degrasse Tyson - Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

A quick science read, this book is fast-paced and engaging and can keep the layperson to astrophysics entertained. I think that a bit of a scientific knowledge is good to have before reading it though. It talks mostly about the composition of the stars,the formation of the universe, and Einstein and others’ work in postulating the existence of dark matter and dark energy, both of which very little is known about but compose the majority of the universe. At the end, it discusses the philosophy that talk about the smallness of earth makes people depressed, versus the reality which is that people just think it’s really damn cool.

7. Ta-Nehisi Coates - We Were Eight Years in Power

I picked this book up because I find his writing style very engaging and informative.  It chronicles… a few things in some detail, but talks a lot about Obama and his influence on the black community while also really offering background about the history of racism. The second-to-last chapter is about mass incarceration and it is so good that I couldn’t put the book down except for when I was too upset to continue reading. The prison system is somehow even uglier and more wicked than I previously thought. He talks about how life-with-the-possibility-of-parole is becoming more and more of a dream because politicians are afraid of being seen as ‘easy on crime’, including Democrats such as Mark O’Malley. Some of the cowardice and race-baiting from the Democrats around this subject is alarming. The stats on the number of black men incarcerated is staggering; for high school dropouts, 70% of black men are imprisoned, as opposed to 13% of whites. 70% is just beyond the pale.

“The Case for Reparations” is the most comprehensive and convincing argument for reparations that I’ve seen. I feel like I read an article of his with the same title but found myself more driven by the arguments in the book with the narrative built before it (mostly about the government’s role in discriminatory loaning practices in Northern cities and the plunder of black resources from racist Southern governments) and the narrative built after about mass incarceration. Interesting to think about how such a thing could be implemented.

I really enjoyed the parts about Michelle Obama and her background, which I didn’t really know much about relative to the more-celebrated/dissected/etc. background of Barack.

The end of the book makes the really decisive case for racism being the biggest factor of Trump being elected. Cutting into the arguments about the white working class having class struggles/rage, he says “There’s no attempt to understand why black and brown workers, victimized by the same economy that Packer (the write of this argument) lambastes, did not join the Trump revolution.” Boom. The other thing that is brings up is how NOT based on socioeconomic status the white vote for Trump was. In fact, Trump got the highest share of the white vote from people who make 50k-100k a year.

Amusingly, the author quotes two of the other books I read this year; Tony Judt in his analysis of West Germany reparations for Jewish people after WWII and Alexander Solzhenitsyn in one of his quotes in the beginning of his chapters.

Funny story: I decided to randomly reserve this book with the Vancouver Public Library, I believe in February, joining a queue of 160 people for 20 copies of the book. I also did a Google search for the author’s name and found conservatives raging about him and how terrible he is. Good times.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:58:00 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 11, 2018, 11:01:14 PM »
Yo I am in need of some Fantasy Bookes for summer reading.  Suggestions?

The Fifth Season, N.K. Jemisin. Not sure if anyone's talked about her here, but I thought this book was really neat. It won the Hugo for best novel. It does something fun with shifting perspectives (i.e., second vs. third) and characters. It has some stumbling points, but if you can make it to the end then I think you'd also like the sequels, The Obelisk Gate (this also won the Hugo) and The Stone Sky (finalist for this year's Hugo).

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: June 12, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
Dhyer was hyping it up a while back. I have it! I haven't got around to reading it yet.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: June 23, 2018, 08:41:47 PM »
Dhyer was hyping it up a while back. I have it! I haven't got around to reading it yet.

Yes, the Fifth Season is great! Fascinating setting. I do still need to read the 3rd book.
...into the nightfall.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 12, 2018, 04:53:34 AM »
8. Roxane Gay - Bad Feminist

Funny, horrifying book that is primarily interesting cultural critique from a feminist perspective. I really enjoyed her commentary on Hunger Games, Fifty Shades of Grey, and The Help in particular; the first because I like Hunger Games and so does she, the second because I have always had a sneaking suspicion that schloky bullshit books are always hated more when they pander to women and not men, and the third because I had heard that The Help was a bit problematic from a race perspective but never really got all the details and yeah that’s pretty problematic. She also talks about her experience as a black female professor, often being the only one in her department and being the only black person in her neighbourhood. The title itself is a half-joking reference to the fact that she feels like a bad feminist because she listens to anti-women rap music and consumes other ‘bad’ things, but it’s said somewhat in jest. The biggest issue I have with the book is that it’s a bit of a retread of things I’ve read on Twitter before.

Might try to grab some fantasy for a change on my trip to Aus.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 12, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
Grefter has Young Miles and the next book in his collection. Read more Bujold in Aus ::Nods::

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: July 12, 2018, 11:33:44 PM »
Already taking it, foo'.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 28, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »
Stone Sky did in fact win the Hugo as well, so N.K. Jemison is the first author to get a three-peat Hugo win, all for the same trilogy too. They are on my To Read list.

Jade City - by Fonda Lee
Do you like the Yakuza games? Because this reads like those play. It's...mafia intrigue/gang violence with a huge helping of martial arts and low end superpowers. People one one side being constrained by tradition and the Proper way of doing things, while people on the other break the rules whenever it suits them and then hide back behind Tradition as soon as they're called out on it. Internal power struggles within the Family and conflicts between the older generation of war heroes and the younger generation who live in a post-war modernized society.

I'm only about a third of the way through and only stopped because I literally fell asleep with kindle in hand last night.

Also
Skyfarer and Dragon Road - by Joseph Brassey
Gonna bring these back up because they are really fucking good. Felt awkward doing it because he's a  friend of mine and assumed people would think I'm just shilling for a friend but if anyone really thinks I'm the type to shill for a friend if the work wasn't Actually Really Good they can go fuck themselves~

They are "flying ships in an endless sky of floating islands" kind of setting. First one has the crew of the Elysium dealing with an attack on an island by the equivalent of fantasy Blackwater(only worse) and the second one is a murder-mystery intrigue with a heaping side of internal politics of a travelling nationship that is the size of a city as well as a dose of eldritch horror.

They are really freaking good. If you like space opera type stuff at all(for all that this isn't outer space, it's "endless sky") read them.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 30, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »
Also
Skyfarer and Dragon Road - by Joseph Brassey
Gonna bring these back up because they are really fucking good. Felt awkward doing it because he's a  friend of mine and assumed people would think I'm just shilling for a friend but if anyone really thinks I'm the type to shill for a friend if the work wasn't Actually Really Good they can go fuck themselves~

They are "flying ships in an endless sky of floating islands" kind of setting. First one has the crew of the Elysium dealing with an attack on an island by the equivalent of fantasy Blackwater(only worse) and the second one is a murder-mystery intrigue with a heaping side of internal politics of a travelling nationship that is the size of a city as well as a dose of eldritch horror.

They are really freaking good. If you like space opera type stuff at all(for all that this isn't outer space, it's "endless sky") read them.

Yep I read the first book earlier this year. Don't have much to add, but it's indeed good and recommended, definitely above what I'd have expected for a first book. The primary characters are quite solidly done too.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 31, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »
I should probably start posting here, because I read... erm... a LOT. A book is one of the very few things I'm allowed to take into work, and I've gotten pretty adept at chewing through novels during my commute and any time I'm not actually on the phone. Over the past couple of years I've gone through... uh..............

The Book of the New Sun ~ Gene Wolfe
A re-Read of the Dragaera cycle ~ Steven Brust
The Phoenix Guards and 500 Years After ~ Steven Brust
A re-Read (like, my third or fourth read of) The Dresden Files ~ Jim Butcher
Codex Aleira ~  Jim Butcher
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever ~ Stephen R. Donaldson
The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever ~ Stephen R. Donaldson
The Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ~ Stephen R. Donaldson
Mordant's Need I and II ~ Stephen R. Donaldson
Nearly 100% of the Valdemar novels ~ Mercedes Lackey
The Black Company ~ Glen Cook
The files of Garrett PI ~ Glen Cook
The Starfishers Trilogy ~ Glen Cook
The Fionavar Tapestry ~ Guy Gavriel Kay
The Sarantine Mosaic ~ Guy Gavriel Kay
Children of Earth and Sky ~ Guy Gavriel Kay
A Song for Narbonne ~ Guy Gavriel Kay
The Last Light of the Sun ~ Guy Gavriel Kay
The Lions of Al-Rassan ~ Guy Gavriel Kay
The entirety of the Malazan Book of the Fallen ~ Stephen Erikson.
The Sandman Slim novels ~ Richard Kadrey
The Coop Heist novels ~ Richard Kadrey
Butcher Bird ~ Richard Kadrey
Metrophage ~ Richard Kadrey
Dead Set ~ Richard Kadrey
The Alex Verus novels ~ Benedict Jacka
The Lives, Deaths, and Rebirths of Tao ~ Wesley Chu
The Kings' Blades Trilogy ~ Dave Duncan
Whatever the fuck he calls his Exeter trilogy ~ Dave Duncan
The Firekeeper novels ~ Jane Lindskold
Breaking the Wall ~ Jane Lindskold
Monster Hunter novels ~ Larry Correa
Son of the Black Sword ~ Larry Correa
Amber ~ Roger Zelazny
And a bunch of stand-alone novels or short series I can't think of right now, as well as a few continuations of series I've already been reading, like the Dark Elf novels or the Vorkosigan novels.

As you can see, one thing I tend to do is latch onto an author and, maybe not all at once, but basically chew through their entire body of work. I tend to have pretty strong opinions about books and there's a lot for me to say about all of these that I haven't found a lot of time for over the past several months, and I'd like to touch on a few of those listed because either the author in general is really good, or the books themselves are really good. I'll go ahead and say here that if I have something on this list, it's a recommended read. I'm pretty agreeable when it comes to books, and it takes quite a powerfully garbage writer to make me actually put something down. (I'm looking at you, Ferret Steinmetz.) The list above isn't exhaustive. It's merely (I'm pretty sure most of) the things I've read since starting my current job.

The most important recommendations on this list are probably the Malazan Book of the Fallen and literally anything written by Guy Gavriel Kay. I can and eventually will go into a lot more detail for my reasons, but the short version is, both guys have some fairly "close-to-home" things in their novels, albeit for very different reasons. There are points in these stories where I have been moved, and while I'm increasingly a sappy doofus in my old age, being moved by mass media in any form or context is.... not something that usually happens.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 31, 2018, 10:38:42 PM »
The most important recommendations on this list are probably the Malazan Book of the Fallen and literally anything written by Guy Gavriel Kay. I can and eventually will go into a lot more detail for my reasons, but the short version is, both guys have some fairly "close-to-home" things in their novels, albeit for very different reasons. There are points in these stories where I have been moved, and while I'm increasingly a sappy doofus in my old age, being moved by mass media in any form or context is.... not something that usually happens.

I also enjoy both authors, but for me it's because they tell very emotional stories with oblique allusion and excessive prosody. I like poetry, clever turns of phrase, being asked to remember and recall in order to put together why character actions rightly convey such tension, and the vague acknowledgment of the magical aether that supports the world.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 31, 2018, 11:52:31 PM »
Waugh, Thomas Covenant. It's a rare book that convinces me I need to drop it 50 pages in. Thomas Covenant accomplished that. (I'd previously read Donaldson's sci-fi series, the Gap novels, so it's possible that I'd had sufficient exposure to the brutality he dishes out to his characters even before picking up TC.)

I have decidedly mixed feelings about Erikson. (There's a long writeup about Malazan somewhere in this thread.) He's one of those authors that can be very good at some aspects of writing that I value while also indulging in habits that I find very aggravating. I proooobably wouldn't have read all ten main series books if it hadn't been my brother's favorite thing in the world, but there's enough worthwhile material in there that I probably wouldn't mind revisiting it in a series with about 50% less characters and words.

I've mostly just been rereading old stuff, myself. Pratchett and Sagan, in large part. I haven't touched a new (to me) fantasy series in ages. Been interested in picking up Elric for a while but never got around to it.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:55:59 PM by Sierra »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 07, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
I'll just echo VSM's endorsement of Glen Cook's "The Black Company."  Well...  that and the 2nd book, "Shadows Linger".  The third book is a bit weaker and takes some strange directions (The White Rose, was it?).  The elevator pitch for those not familiar with it: In yon average dark fantasy world, Our Heroes are members of a mercenary company.  That gets hired by the evil immortal sorceress queen that rules half the world.  Needless to say large amounts of the rest of the world hate her so there's a large and well-funded resistance army trying to overthrow her.  But hey she pays well?!  It's a nice near-the-villain's eye look at your average fantasy war, except the person who's magically enslaving wizards and binding them to her service is your ally, which is a little queasy morally, and you're fighting the brave Fire Emblem protagonist types who are steadily advancing and winning and stuff.  The Myth: The Fallen Lords series was very blatantly cribbing from The Black Company, if anyone other than OK played it.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 17, 2018, 04:12:20 AM »
So I read Born to the Blade, which I left a review on Goodreads for. I'll just paste it here:
---
Overall review: If you like fantasy politics, read this book.

The Fantasy: The spell work of the bladecasting is an interesting concept and well executed. It's easy to follow what a sigil is supposed to do simply by its name, and the descriptions are clean. They make it very easy for the combat scenes to be visualized.

Also, the fantasy element of the world setting is fantastic. There is the magic of bladecasting which anyone trained in it can use, but each island also has its own Birthright, a fantastical ability that is unique to their ethnicity. These two elements combine to make a setting that feels like there should be a Roleplaying System out there for already. Coming to this book from the background of someone who plays fantasy RPGs, everything clicked into place almost instantly, like I'd been playing in it already.

The Politics: Oooh boy. Where to start here? First would be the fact that the various POV characters all...well, they're human. Many of them make some BAD decisions, but for reasons you can completely understand. For some, emotion rules the day even when they should try to dial it back and mistakes happen. At least one character has the opposite problem of turning their nose up at things that SHOULD be rage inducing because of a mindset that they must be high-minded and detached.

And the number of times that cross-cultural miscommunication comes into play is perhaps the best I've seen portrayed in a book ever. It's both subtle and frequent, every character sees things from the lens of their own culture and forgets that others don't see the same way. Ultimately that is something that the various Good Guys(whoever they turn out to be in the end....) will have to overcome to work together and try to salvage this gigantic mess of a situation.

Because what the overall plot is really about...is what happens when in a polite society bound by rules, certain elements decide they don't have to follow those rules anymore(while of course still pretending they do and holding everyone else to them).

Anyway, that's my take on it. Five star book, go read it.
---

I also finished Jade City and it's probably the best book I've read this year(out of all, you know, three of them).
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 19, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »
I picked up Nevernight (and the sequel Godsgrave) because the author, Jay Kristioff, had written some neat Japanese-Western fantasy novels years back that I remembered liking, and the third book in this new series had recently come up.

Holy unexpected smut, Batman!

It's limited but it's far, far more graphic than the fade to black kind I'm used to seeing in my fantasy novels. Unlike a lot of the prurience in fantasy novels, though, the book actually does prepare you for it in that it's a book about a goddamn assassin school and if you think you're going to be protected from the realities of life in order to "enjoy" this, well, prepare to psychologically experience what happens to your bowels when someone slices you open.

So anyway, despite the gore and sex, it's not as gratuitous as it could be. I don't find the details especially distracting because they fit within the story (it isn't sex or violence for the sake of it - well, any more than reading a story about a working assassin should be). The story itself is surprisingly mundane. Well-to-do girl's father is murdered and her family torn apart as part of some political scheme. Girl plots revenge. Girl finds means to revenge and does everything in her power to act on it. Things are more complicated than they seem. Tragedies befall her. She powers on. Also there is some magic. Not, like, Harry Potter magic. Visceral magic, and religious magic.

What really works for me (and did work for me in his original work, I imagine) is what I appreciate in some of my favorite authors: turns of phrase. You will get analogies like you never believed could exist here, drawing on the lore of the world but in a context that makes those strange fantasy words not seem so strange. As you might expect for a book so centrally about death, the humor is off-beat and dark. There's a core mystery about the girl's subtle powers and what happened with her family that pushes her along through the story (revenge is still a powerful motivator for her, but that really can only drive you so far).

Overall, not the best books I've ever read. They don't do anything especially clever with the plot or characters. But... I enjoy the world building - not just for the world, but for the way in which it is built and communicated to the reader. I appreciate the inversion on expectations - there's a certain level of polite decorum that comes packaged with other stories about warriors and assassins, but not here. I very much appreciate, even though they do come out somewhat trite sometimes, the writing exercises that are exposed via mirrored scenes and dialog, and very closely held character and tonal "voices" that tell you what you need to know by word choice and context moreso than by actual vocabulary.

So if you can tolerate some gore and sex, I'd recommend them. Those two things don't dominate the text (it's not some masturbatory storytelling where everything is an excuse for violence or pornography) but they are there in a way where you won't be able to read the book if you don't want to read those things.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 21, 2018, 04:41:55 AM »
Dan Simmons- Rise of Endymion. I would strongly recommend this series (my friend was so adamant that I read it that he bought me all the books); very colorful, unique sci-fi fantasy world(s). All 4 books are filled with extremely unique characters, locations and plot points. I was a little worried that it was going to fly off the rails the last half of book 4, but luckily I was wrong and the conclusion ended up being very satisfying.
...into the nightfall.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 21, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »
Elizabeth Haydon- The Weaver's Lament. Finale book of a series I've been reading since 1999 (not a particularly good series though, although it had an interesting setup. The main character is such a Mary Sue; one of her character traits is that she is otherworldly beautiful but is completely oblivious to it). The author disappeared for several years to the point where I googled several times to see if she had died. She also used to run a great forum based around her work which vanished a couple years ago (shame it didn't last to actually she her complete the story).

I actually completely skipped the penultimate book accidentally, but it didn't matter since the new book was a huge leap forward in time 1000 years (characters are immortal or near immortal). I thought the final book was going to have a slow build-up to the finale, but halfway through the book major characters start dying in quick order (and one case, seemingly with no cause. The character was just dead because the author said so). It was kind of funny how random it all was; frankly, it was still more enjoyable than the last few books- most of which had to keep cooking up mediocre villains who laid super elaborate but super easily foiled plans, were literal baby-eaters, or just recycled versions of previous villains.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 23, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
I've been re-reading Wheel of Time for the first time since A Memory of Light. Slow going since I'm busy with lots of other things and don't spend time on the bus like I used to. Just finished Fires of Heaven, which I now rather definitely feel is the best of the first five books. Lots of good stuff, in particular Asmodean's role, Moiraine in general, Rand's development, and the ending.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 06, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »
Finished "The Procurement of Souls" by Benjamin Hope.

It's...not great. I did another review on goodreads which I'll just link instead of pasting because it's long.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2553579250
<%Laggy> no not really.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: December 01, 2018, 12:28:11 AM »
Finished re-reading the Shadow series by Tad Williams. Definitely remember why I loved the series so much. Barrick and Briony work really, really well as main characters given that they both started off with super defined personalities but also a lot of room to grow. A lot of other great characters as well that are deftly woven together by the end.

High Points
Book 1: Qinnitan's section and the first trip over the Shadowline
Book 2: The Greatdeeps. This is not only likely the best part of all 4 books, but it's definitely one of the best arcs I've ever read. The villain of the arc, the plan and the context make it very gripping and set the stage well for the power ramp up the occurs in later books.
Book 3: The end of Barrick's journey, although a lot of this book was really setup
Book 4:  Yasammez's final resolution. Nearly all of the last half of the book, which was nearly all payoff to slow plot build-ups. Most importantly the Auturch's end. I can't think of a more satisfying or fitting end to a villain.
...into the nightfall.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: December 03, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
REading the Illumaine series for book club. It's been a lot of fun; it's a YA series but is still worth your time.  It's somewhat high sci fi (Warp drives and wormholes) but the culture and conflicts are pretty grounded in reality. IE: The entire book series is because of a war over resources.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...