Register

Author Topic: Futurama 2023 Week 2  (Read 612 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Futurama 2023 Week 2
« on: December 31, 2023, 04:32:45 AM »
Godlike

Goddess (Final Fantasy VI) vs Eiriko 'Elly' Kirishima (Persona)
Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden III) vs Aeterna (I am Setsuna)
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Polaris (Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2)
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Simeon (Octopath Traveler)

Heavy

Shadow (Final Fantasy VI) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves Christmas)
Petra Macneary (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Lei Kugo (Live a Live)
Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Byakuren Hijiri (Labyrinth of Touhou)
Rofel Wodring (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Anna Pascal (Triangle Strategy)

Middle

Dedue Molinaro (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Baba Yaga (Cthulhu Saves Christmas)
Axl (Mega Man X Command Mission) vs Kyrie (Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark)
Therion (Octopath Traveler) vs Ba'Thraz (Chained Echoes)
Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Tiki (Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem)

Light

Mediator (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ribombee (Pokémon Sun/Moon)
Heather (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Benedict Pascal (Triangle Strategy)
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy)
Big Joe (Xenogears) vs Zelkov (Fire Emblem Engage)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 08:46:05 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Futurama 2023 Week 2
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 06:18:13 AM »
The good news for Chris: The multi-hit nature of S3 physicals means that Mirage is a bad play, since multiple hits can knock off the shield in the middle of a combo.  The bad news: idk if I'd hype S3 Yellow Scarf as stopping IAS Stop, and I'm pretty generous with S3 Yellow Scarves.  Problem is that Paralysis is a separate status in IAS, and Stop immunity is fairly rare IIRC.  The other bad news is that Oblivion's damage formula doesn't take Def into account that much, so Chris can't rely on some sort of tanking strategy.
Huh, shoulda taken some stats down for Polaris I guess.  Based on
https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Polaris
as a refresher...  Polaris 3 has access to Cepheid, which is multi-target and has Pierce to stop nulling, and Megidolaon, which is both multi-target and Almighty explicitly goes around shields like Makarakarn in-game, so Belial's Distortion isn't working here.  I'd be shocked if she isn't just OHKO'd.  Plan B is to get an insta-double and KO Polaris... hmm, the DS2 endgame average AGL is 17.2, and Polaris's AGL is 20.  Given Belial's 272% speed, I suppose she probably does still hustle out the insta-double.  So Belial probably wins anyway?  The damage average of twink'd lategame demon teams is really high, just the problem is surviving the rocket tag to get in.  Open to arguments if people have better memories.

Heavy

Anna is ramming into Save the Queen, but Invisible -> backstab gets around that Crystal Shield evasion very nicely.  And her damage is even better than the topic indicates since it seems Dhyer didn't bake in back attacks by default and she should get a Surprise Attack bonus here.  I think that's enough to probably KO Rofel.

Middle

Kyrie is very scary in Middle with the patch, because the patch gave her Penumbral Mastery and she has a decent plot claim to the Excalibur, a Holy-elemental weapon with regen.  But I'm not an MMXCM voter.

I know Namagomi has a Fell Seal stat topic under way, but from my halfway completed one, an L50 Marked (well, 25 levels of Marked and 23 levels of a mixed Hybrid set and Kyrie's L2 bases):

HP=433  MP=176  Atk=406 (w/ Excalibur), 396 (w/ Heavy Lance), (279 base) Def=318 (210) Mnd=267 Res=267 (215) Spd=163 (150) Eva=5 (0) Crit=7 (1) Holy/Dark Resist=5 Move=5 (4) {{Status|Swim}} Jump=5 (7)
PCHP=1.03, 103% avg. spd, 1.02 Phys Durability, 0.97 Mag Durability
Weapon=Heavy Lance, Helm=Flash Cap, Body=Lorica Musculata, Accessories: Gremlin Treads, Sapphire Earring

* {{Highlight|Execute}}: Damage is increased by 0.45x when target's HP is below half of their maximum.
* {{Highlight|Avenger}}: Kyrie gains 0.2x bonus damage and 0.125x damage reduction for each fallen ally (up to 3 stacks).
* {{Highlight|Slow}}: Counters any offensive action taken on the character by inflicting the offender with {{Status|Slow}}.
* {{Highlight|Penumbral Mastery}} (versions 1.2 and later only): Kyrie reduces the target's resistance when dealing {{Highlight|Light}} or {{Highlight|Dark}} damage.  Does not work if target's elemental resistance is over 100.  If the target has between 0 and 100 resistance, it will lose 50. If the target has less than 0 resistance, it will lose 25. Resistance cannot be brought lower than -150.
* Kyrie has a plot claim to the Excalibur, as it's her own personal sidequest that gets this item.  Additionally, Marked as uniquely good at using it, since it has Holy damage that synergizes well with Penumbral Mastery.  If you allow the Excalibur, then Marked has permanent Renew (regen health per turn), absorbs Holy damage (+150 {{Status|Holy}} resist).

So pretty average stats.  The problem is a damage average to compare it to is where I lost my will to finish up, but Excalibur should be markedly better than Heavy Lance thanks to Penumbral Mastery as noted above, although it loses 2 range. 

Yulie's pretty scary in Middle.  That said, Random's topic lists Tiki as having a 14% crit rate, and FE12 dragonstones are physical, so a crit is total death.  Yulie needs to attack into Tiki's counters while also getting plunked on her own turns, so that adds up fast.  She fails forever at damaging Tiki, but Tiki has bad HP (31 HP to a 44 HP average = ~0.695 PCHP) and good Defense, so Sacrifice being ITD is unusually potent here...  that's what, around ~0.48 PCHP ignore defense damage if she can cast it while at full HP?  That leaves 0.21 PCHP of Tiki's to grind through the hard way, which is really more like 0.35 defense-adjusted damage Yulie needs to deal.  I...  don't think she even needs the Gaia Hoop?  A single default weapon double is a bit more than the naive damage average (although there's certainly an argument that the damage average should be higher due to nonsense like Intrude).  But...  wait, this still doesn't work.  Yulie's durability is so bad that she's getting 2HKO'd, so even when getting double-actions thanks to Quicken, she can't ever get a single attack in - she needs to first heal, then attack, then heal again so Tiki's regular attack doesn't kill her.

Yulie still has a weak argument in the 3/7 chance she starts on an elemental Hex, because Material would give her a way to do damage that gets around counters.  But then she's ramming into Tiki's fantastic MDef and probably giving Tiki too much time to find a crit even if allowed.

Light

Heather is actually a pretty decent High Light, and evadable fighters are where she thrives.
Big Joe (Xenogears) vs Velkov (Fire Emblem Engage)
Big Joe isn't quite a Puny to me, but...  yeah.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 09:38:37 AM »
Heavy

Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Byakuren Hijiri (Labyrinth of Touhou) I did a whole lot of picking apart the fight in chat but the big points in relevance are as follow:
 - Byakuren probably draws a neutral matchup at worst with Odie, and is swapping out Vajra Shield for Mental Focus to juice her MND up every turn.
 - I don't see True MT provoking SN counters, therefore Byakuren could start laying down debuff hell with Magic Milky Way and Odie couldn't counter
 - Odie's accuracy is bad enough that I can see Byakuren's modest evade giving him at least one miss.
 - Magic Milky Way's debuffs stack up pretty quickly to Odie getting 5-2'd by Byakuren, and at that point she's pretty close to taking him out at her leisure.
Rofel Wodring (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Anna Pascal (Triangle Strategy) - I'll have to think on this one myself.

Middle

Axl (Mega Man X Command Mission) vs Kyrie (Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark) - the story character section of the FS stat topic I'll try to get out before the week ends.  Things of note, however:
- Kyrie can equip a Thunder Shield to null Axl's biggest damage moves.
- Axl goes first and can just pop Hyper from the get-go, giving him...what was it, two turns of invincibility?  Kyrie's coasting on her plot sword's regen until that wears off.
Yeah, I figure if the others who understand Axl better are going to vote Kyrie's way, she claims a win through blocking Axl's best damage and just tanking and spanking her way through the rest.
Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Tiki (Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem) - wait right I forgot that Quicken would lead to an instadouble.  That changes the momentum notably from there.

Light
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy) - Vitali gets best matchup before considering Frederica is running into his RES and healing.  Man, feels like a lot of the unrankeds have some meatgrinders of matchups.
Big Joe (Xenogears) vs Velkov (Fire Emblem Engage) GREEEEEEAT!  DYNAAAAAAAMIC!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 12:48:54 AM by 074 »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 02:47:04 PM »
Godlike

Goddess (Final Fantasy VI) vs Eiriko 'Elly' Kirishima (Persona)
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Simeon (Octopath Traveler): Bowie Knife dragon physicals.

Heavy

Petra Macneary (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Lei Kugo (Live a Live): Lei can do a 100% magical status but is frail. Alert Stance may let Petra get a turn. If Lei's base gamebest speed doesn't stave off a doubling, then she probably can after buffing speed. So it probably ends with the status.

Middle

Dedue Molinaro (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Baba Yaga (Cthulhu Saves Christmas): Too much damage. She can try to Chickenize her wind magic but I think he'll just kill her.
Therion (Octopath Traveler) vs Ba'Thraz (Chained Echoes): I think Ba'Thraz scores a KO on turn 2 here while Therion doesn't.

Light

Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy): I don't remember Soul Nomad.
Big Joe (Xenogears) vs Velkov (Fire Emblem Engage)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 08:00:54 PM »
Godlike

Goddess (Final Fantasy VI) vs Eiriko 'Elly' Kirishima (Persona) - Pass.
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Polaris (Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2) - alright who nommed the boss that doesn't have stat topic data.  Anyways I suspect Snowfire's kneejerk works for me.
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Simeon (Octopath Traveler) - I'll bite.

Heavy

Shadow (Final Fantasy VI) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves Christmas) - Probably.
Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Byakuren Hijiri (Labyrinth of Touhou) - Probably
Rofel Wodring (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Anna Pascal (Triangle Strategy) - Sure I guess.

Middle

Dedue Molinaro (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Baba Yaga (Cthulhu Saves Christmas) - It's not... impossible for Baba to pull this off but she'd need to get very lucky with Dedue's questionable accuracy since her only real avenue is to chickenize Wind Arrow.
Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Tiki (Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem) - Yulie doesn't really like the fact that New Mystery is one of those rare FEs where every enemy and their grandmothers have a big fat 0 where their luck stat should be.

Light

Mediator (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ribombee (Pokémon Sun/Moon) - Pass.
Heather (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Benedict Pascal (Triangle Strategy) - lol
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy) - ok yeah that is one of the worst possible draws for Frederica right there.
Big Joe (Xenogears) vs Zelkov (Fire Emblem Engage) - Big Joe wins due to there being no Engage character named Velkov Not *quite*, Big Joe.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 08:08:33 PM by Random Consonant »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 04:56:06 AM »
Godlike

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden III) vs Aeterna (I am Setsuna): Should get the drop in before Silent Lake (she's very fast), and yeah Stop's a win.
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Simeon (Octopath Traveler): Simeon's one of the worst C4 bosses outside his relative lack of weaknesses... and Ryu manages to hit his anyway.

Heavy

Shadow (Final Fantasy VI) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves Christmas): Cthulhu goes first, and Shadow can't stop Cthulhu from blowing him up on turn 2.
Rofel Wodring (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Anna Pascal (Triangle Strategy): Take Cover's just a lockdown against opponents without MT, I think. Which is good because trying to physically blitz Rofel doesn't work well.

Middle

Dedue Molinaro (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Baba Yaga (Cthulhu Saves Christmas): This pretty much comes down to "does a character get to complete a double while unstoppable before the death effect kicks in". And also "can CSC characters double with non-reusuable moves" I suppose. Baba wins if the answer to both is yes; after Power=Ailment, doubled Wind Arrow in desperate is gonna easily kill Dedue. But if not... yeah she probably just falls short. Anyway I kinda lean toward "yes" on both the above questions but am open to arguments.
Axl (Mega Man X Command Mission) vs Kyrie (Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark): I don't allow Ninetales (very clearly aftergame) so Axl is very reliant on lightning. One Thunder Shield later and he has issues. If Excalibur is allowed (I'm on the fence) he's incredibly hosed but frankly even regular ol' First Aid during his invincible turns is something he doesn't like, since he's just not doing very good damage generally.
Therion (Octopath Traveler) vs Ba'Thraz (Chained Echoes): Heaven or Hell, let's rock.
Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Tiki (Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem): I think folks are underestimating Sacrifice. Yes, Tiki can do about 2/3 of Yulie's HP using the lowest average, but even after that, Sacrifice still does 16% to average = 23% to Tiki. And then when she's ready to win she can do triple that by healing first, then Sacrificing (leaving her at 1 HP). So... she actually only needs to do this three times, thanks to Tiki's low HP? Tiki gets in an attack on turn 1, and then three more before Yulie can do this... plus one more because there will be one turn Yulie fails to double due to being 170% speed rather than 200%. A total of five attacks... yeah I don't see a 14% crit rate kicking in that fast.

Light

Heather (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Benedict Pascal (Triangle Strategy): Yeah none of Benedict's skillset is actually any good and Heather easily wins a slugfest via evasion and counters.
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy): Fire mages don't do well against Vitali.
Big Joe (Xenogears) vs Zelkov (Fire Emblem Engage): As *exciting* and *dynamic* as Big Joe is...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 01:06:03 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 09:03:13 PM »
Elf: Am I missing something?  Once Yulie uses Sacrifice, she dies horribly on the counterattack.  I guess the argument is that FE12 Dragonstones are range 1?  The problem is that the WA4 Hex grid is incredibly claustrophobic and dodging range-1 counters there is nearly impossible.  Even if Yulie & Tiki spawn on opposite hexes, Tiki will just move next to Yulie, and it still won't be safe for her to use Sacrifice, except as a finisher.

Also, I think you bolded the wrong winner in Heather vs. Benedict.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 01:04:31 AM »
I'm not giving Tiki credit for the size of the WA4 battlefield, any more than I would give her credit for "Final Fantasy X characters can't move away from her". If Yulie were a FE12 enemy, she would walk away from Tiki before using Sacrifice, which is range 2, and the FE12 system is what counts to me when judging how Tiki's counters work.

(It's also worth mentioning that there's a case that WA4 attacks all target hexes and therefore aren't counterable by FE. I don't like this view for the same reason I don't like the above - it's not how FE counters actually work. IMO Tiki should be able to counter Raquel's physical and Jude's Assault Buster, but not Blast or Jude's gunshots or Sacrifice.)

And thanks for the catch.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 03:19:04 AM »
While I agree that arguing based on WA4's arena size is generally a non-starter, I was under the distinct impression that Yulie couldn't act after moving anyways, which would render this somewhat moot unless you wanted to fall back on kiting arguments based on Tiki's bad threat range and I don't really know how I feel about those, especially considering she loses her buffs by doing so.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 03:24:48 AM by Random Consonant »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 03:49:30 PM »
Godlike

Goddess (Final Fantasy VI) vs Eiriko 'Elly' Kirishima (Persona)- They can't really do much of anything to one another, but I feel like I"m making more judgements than I'm comfortable with calling it for Elly.

Heavy

Petra Macneary (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Lei Kugo (Live a Live)- I think
Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Byakuren Hijiri (Labyrinth of Touhou)- no vote
Rofel Wodring (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Anna Pascal (Triangle Strategy)- no vote

Middle

Dedue Molinaro (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Baba Yaga (Cthulhu Saves Christmas)
Therion (Octopath Traveler) vs Ba'Thraz (Chained Echoes)- No vote

Light

Mediator (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ribombee (Pokémon Sun/Moon)- I... think.
Heather (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Benedict Pascal (Triangle Strategy)- No vote
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy)- No vote

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 12:06:42 AM »
Godlike

Goddess (Final Fantasy VI) vs Eiriko 'Elly' Kirishima (Persona) - I probably have unreasonably high FF6 boss durability respect, but I don't see anything of Elly's doing much here
Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden III) vs Aeterna (I am Setsuna) - Yeah, okay, Stop and Paralysis hitting different resists sells me on Yellow Scarf not working here
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Simeon (Octopath Traveler) - Curses! Simeon's one weakness, dagger pokes!

Heavy

Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Byakuren Hijiri (Labyrinth of Touhou) - I think I'd still allow Odie his counters, but Byakuren probably eeks out a win anyway.
Rofel Wodring (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Anna Pascal (Triangle Strategy) - Yay, a win for Triangle Strategy! ...don't get used to it...

Middle

Light

Heather (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Benedict Pascal (Triangle Strategy) - A good matchup for Heather and it's not like Benedict actually has many good matchups anyway...
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy) - A literal good matchup for Vitali and his magical durability gives Frederica fits
Big Joe (Xenogears) vs Zelkov (Fire Emblem Engage) - keep those joke fights coming, Zelkov needs this positive affirmation in his... life.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 04:30:24 PM »
Godlike

Goddess (Final Fantasy VI) vs Eiriko 'Elly' Kirishima (Persona) - Quasar is a weird ability that probably isn't really "magic" in the sense that I'd see it blocked by Persona 1's antimagic.

Heavy

Middle

Light

Heather (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Benedict Pascal (Triangle Strategy) - Benedict would've been great in the Dungeon!
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy)

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 03:10:31 AM »
Godlike

Goddess (Final Fantasy VI)- iii vs Eiriko 'Elly' Kirishima (Persona)
Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden III) vs Aeterna (I am Setsuna)- iiii
Belial (Wild ARMs 4)- ii vs Polaris (Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2)
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV)- iiiii vs Simeon (Octopath Traveler)

Heavy

Shadow (Final Fantasy VI) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves Christmas)- iiii
Petra Macneary (Fire Emblem Three Houses) vs Lei Kugo (Live a Live)- i
Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Byakuren Hijiri (Labyrinth of Touhou)- iii
Rofel Wodring (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Anna Pascal (Triangle Strategy)- iiiiii

Middle

Dedue Molinaro (Fire Emblem Three Houses)- ii vs Baba Yaga (Cthulhu Saves Christmas)- ii (random.org rolled 1)
Axl (Mega Man X Command Mission) vs Kyrie (Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark)- iiii
Therion (Octopath Traveler) vs Ba'Thraz (Chained Echoes)- iii
Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4)- iii vs Tiki (Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem)- iiii

Light

Mediator (Final Fantasy Tactics)- ii vs Ribombee (Pokémon Sun/Moon)
Heather (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- iiiiii vs Benedict Pascal (Triangle Strategy)
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- iiii vs Frederica Aesfrost (Triangle Strategy)
Big Joe (Xenogears) vs Zelkov (Fire Emblem Engage)- iiiiiii