Register

Author Topic: RPGVO 2023 Round 8, Winners Finals/Losers Semifinals: Technical Difficulties  (Read 467 times)

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Godlike:

Winners:

T260G (SaGa) vs. Fenrir (VP1)

Losers:

Rika (PSIV) vs. Belial (WA4)

Heavy:

Winners:

Levin Brenton (WAXF) vs. Emelia (SaGa)

Losers:

Edgar (FF6) vs. Lilka (WA2)

Middle:

Winners:

Red XIII (FF7) vs. Tony (WA4)

Losers:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Florina (FE7)

Light:

Winners:

Heather (FE10) vs. Virginia Maxwell (WA3)

Losers:

Karn (BoF1) vs. Fina (SoA)

Voting will close at 11:00 PM CST, Monday, 10/9/2023.  Apologies for the late update.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Godlike:

Winners:

T260G (SaGa) vs. Fenrir (VP1)- I... thiiiink?  Remind me to look at this again if someone maths it.

Losers:

Heavy:

Winners:

Levin Brenton (WAXF) vs. Emelia (SaGa)- I could have sworn we had this one already but I dunno I am very distracted.

Losers:

Edgar (FF6) vs. Lilka (WA2)- Probably anyways.

Middle:

Winners:

Red XIII (FF7) vs. Tony (WA4)- I'm just gonna take it on faith that some Limit Red can pull out will blast Tony's face off.

Losers:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Florina (FE7)- I think we already had this one and this was how it shook out?  Sounds familiar. Edit: oh Y’know what I keep forgetting Byleth is fast enough to block most other FE characters from doubling them.

Light:

Winners:

Heather (FE10) vs. Virginia Maxwell (WA3)- The superior lesbian.

Losers:

Karn (BoF1) vs. Fina (SoA)- I think?  Seems right.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 06:51:39 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Winners:

T260G (SaGa) vs. Fenrir (VP1) - sure I guess

Losers:

Rika (PSIV) vs. Belial (WA4) - Rika not really hacking this either.  (I still see Rika as being over half of Belial's turnspeed... but yeah asking me to respect the evasion here is too much of an ask.)

Heavy:

Winners:

Losers:

Middle:

Winners:

Red XIII (FF7) vs. Tony (WA4) - Yeah for Tony to take this one you'd to both not do anything for FF7 limits at all and see Tony not oneshotted by a L1.  Since Tony's not likely dodging a L2 to me, well.

Losers:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Florina (FE7) - Pretty sure we haven't actually had this one.  Anyways, pretty sure Florina's got a bunch of problems since 1) she's not doubling Byleth with anything, 2) her damage when she's not doubling struggles to meaningfully outpace Renewal, 3) Byleth has Windsweep with its attendant +20 hit to blunt Florina's evade somewhat and not trigger counters, 4) if Florina tries for javelins that uh tanks her AS to the point where Byleth is doubling her with SotC and the AS drop is costing her more evade than what she's getting from partial WTA, so yeah not really seeing the Florina argument here.

Light:

Winners:

Heather (FE10) vs. Virginia Maxwell (WA3) - Yeah knives against Ginny evade isn't working out too well for counter strats to pay off and Heather ain't doubling.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 12:45:53 AM by Random Consonant »

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
Godlike:

Winners:

Losers:

Heavy:

Winners:

Losers:

Edgar (FF6) vs. Lilka (WA2) - It's funny to think about, but very solidly Edgar's fight here.

Middle:

Winners:

Red XIII (FF7) vs. Tony (WA4) - Doesn't Red's physical deal just as much damage as his L1 anyway?

Light:

Winners:

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Godlike:

Losers:

Rika (PSIV) vs. Belial (WA4) - As discussed in chat, Rika has an argument but she still needs to get lucky and evade several Tank Drops to have a chance. Belial's accuracy is pretty decent, so until more math comes out, going with this.

Heavy:

Losers:

Edgar (FF6) vs. Lilka (WA2) - Assuming you allow Skills for status defense, this is still in Edgar's favor because Lilka can't really block Death AND Confuse at the same time. If she blocks Death, then Edgar just traps her in a (dangerous) Confuse Loop pretty much forever. If she blocks Confuse, Edgar hits her with Air Anchor and that's pretty much that. To win, Lilka basically needs to 2HKO and she can't really do that with starting endgame FP levels.

Middle:

Winners:

Red XIII (FF7) vs. Tony (WA4) - Uh yeah. Limit turns basically trump Tony4's big advantage with speed. Physical +L1 is basically GG and Red is definitely getting a turn despite the initial Instant Double.

Losers:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Florina (FE7) - Random's analysis works for me. My kneejerk was Byleth anyway because Windswept bypassing counters hurts Flo quite a bit here since it means she loses an extra attack per round. Going Javelin isn't going to work since neither double from the getgo, meaning the extra weight only makes things worse. So in the grand scheme of things, Byleth just gets more swings and Flo's raw p.dur isn't great.

Light:

Winners:

Heather (FE10) vs. Virginia Maxwell (WA3) - If BANE can Proc on a range hit, Heather MIGHT have a shot. As is though, no way she can hit Ginny enough times before she gets a fatal Gatling. Every attack she misses is an extra 12 FP, which not only means Ginny's pelts hit harder, but she also takes less. And Ginny is not only pretty accurate but also has good evade here, this is pretty much right up her alley.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Godlike:

Winners:

Losers:

Rika (PSIV) vs. Belial (WA4): Tanks Belial's speed... I think she avoids the 2HKO with Tank Drops? It feels like she has the tools to do this, if anyone does.

Heavy:

Winners:

Levin Brenton (WAXF) vs. Emelia (SaGa): Evasion

Losers:

Edgar (FF6) vs. Lilka (WA2): Reflect would help with Confuse, and Mystic->Holy Grail with Instant Death, but both together are too much. Also Thanatos X wouldn't help *after* air anchor gets used.

Middle:

Winners:

Losers:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Florina (FE7): at worst she fists her.

Light:

Winners:

Losers:

Karn (BoF1) vs. Fina (SoA): Stone???

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Godlike:

Winners:

T260G (SaGa) vs. Fenrir (VP1): Fenrir's freeze is pretty easily immuned in-game, so I'm inclined to squint and say T2's comparable immunities (e.g. palsy) are good enough here.

Losers:

Rika (PSIV) vs. Belial (WA4): Rika absolutely needs to be seen as over 50% of Belial's speed and for Saner to catch Tank Drop, so I'm not terribly bothered by votes the other way. But I think I do make both those calls. She opens with Saner and even though Belial 3-2's, she has no way to kill Rika before then since Agony Effect is a 3HKO and requires a turn wasted on the Distortion. From there Rika can just cruise.

Heavy:

Winners:

Levin Brenton (WAXF) vs. Emelia (SaGa): Goes first so only needs to dodge once to complete the 2HKO.

Losers:

Edgar (FF6) vs. Lilka (WA2): Status does its thing.

Middle:

Winners:

Red XIII (FF7) vs. Tony (WA4): Stardust Ray one-shots and I'll be really surprised if Tony avoids that.

Losers:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Florina (FE7): Yeah Windsweep is great in FE vs. FE. Probably would have kneejerked Florina if not for that.

Light:

Winners:

Heather (FE10) vs. Virginia Maxwell (WA3): Evasion.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Heavy Losers:

Middle:
Winners:

Losers:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Florina (FE7)
I'll buy Windsweep hype.

Light:
Winners:

There are interps that make this closer (e.g. involving phantom Leadership stars) but nah.

Losers:

Karn (BoF1) vs. Fina (SoA)
Not hyping the Stone as accurate enough.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
T260G (SaGa) vs. Fenrir (VP1) - Even if you don't see Freeze as immunable by the trashcan, I'm not really sure what can Fenrir even DO here. I'm not sure Fenny avoids being OHKOed by Magnify as it stands and the wolf can't even break T2's regen until below half HP! So uh yeah.
Rika (PSIV) vs. Belial (WA4) - Huh, Rika does avoid being instant-doubled to me and that does change things. Yeah, nevermind.

Levin Brenton (WAXF) vs. Emilia (SaGa) - Levin goes last and faces evasion. This is a nightmare.
Edgar Roni Figaro (FF6) vs. Lilka Eleniak (WA2) - Yeah, no way around the status.

Red XIII (FF7) vs. Tony (WA4) - Yeah, Stardust Ray just melts Tony and he has no way around it.
Byleth Eisner (FE3H) vs. Florina (FE7) - Wow, Windsweep.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 04:51:38 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Godlike:

Losers:

Rika (PSIV) vs. Belial (WA4) - My interp on mixing TB and ATB/CTB speed is not favorable to TB when the latter is faster.  Belial easily overruns her.  Also I definitely don't see Saner catching Tank Drop if only on the basis that what is and isn't a Basic Attack in PSIV is pretty well defined, and it cuts both ways here.

Heavy:

Losers:

Edgar (FF6) vs. Lilka (WA2) - yeah, Lilka's SOL here.

Middle:

Winners:

Red XIII (FF7) vs. Tony (WA4) - Tony is many things this season.  What he is not, is able to chip around Limit range, even by my interps.  Tony's going to eat it to Sled Fang.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Match Results:

Godlike:

Winners:

T260G (SaGa) ||||| vs. Fenrir (VP1)

Losers:

Rika (PSIV) ||| vs. Belial (WA4) |||||

Heavy:

Winners:

Levin Brenton (WAXF) vs. Emelia (SaGa) ||||||

Losers:

Edgar (FF6) ||||||||| vs. Lilka (WA2)

Middle:

Winners:

Red XIII (FF7) ||||||||| vs. Tony (WA4)

Losers:

Byleth (FE3H) ||||||| vs. Florina (FE7)

Light:

Winners:

Heather (FE10) vs. Virginia Maxwell (WA3) |||||||

Losers:

Karn (BoF1) || vs. Fina (SoA) |

Winners-bracket winners move on to Grand Finals at Round 10.  Losers-bracket winners and Winners-bracket losers move on to Losers Finals at Round 9.  Losers-bracket losers are eliminated.