Author Topic: RPGVO 2023 Round 5, Losers Pools 2: A Dispute Among Three Houses  (Read 477 times)

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
RPGVO 2023 Round 5, Losers Pools 2: A Dispute Among Three Houses
« on: September 11, 2023, 07:34:11 AM »
Godlike:

Arceus (PKMN) vs. Jenna Angel(DDS)
Sir Leopold (DQ8) vs. Jowy Atreides(S2)
Belial (WA4) (No 4D Pocket) vs. Chaz Ashley(PSIV)
Nailah (FE10) vs. Rayquaza(PKMN)

Heavy:

Alexia Lynn Elesius (WAXF) vs. Eirika (FE8)
Kanji (P4) vs. Edgar (FF6)
Clarissa Arwin (WAXF) vs. Auron (FFX)
Ness (EB) vs. Alicia (VP2)

Middle:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Sylvain (FE3H)
Aht (RH) vs. Flay (MK)
Florina (FE7) vs. Blanca (SH2)
Nephenee (FE10) vs. Anastasia(SH2)

Light:

Edward (FF4) vs. Karn(BoF1)
Peppor (CC) vs. Linhardt(FE3H)
Jelanda (VP1) vs. Poshul(CC)
Boco (FFT) vs. Selphie(FF8)

Voting will close at 11:00 PM CST, Sunday, 9/17/2023.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 10:30:00 AM by 074 »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGVO 2023 Round 5, Losers Pools 2: A Dispute Among Three Houses
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 09:08:12 AM »
Godlike:

Belial (WA4) vs. Chaz Ashley(PSIV) - Even if two shielding it up would let him take two Tank Drops, he doesn't have the level of offense needed to capitalize on it.

Heavy:

Alexia Lynn Elesius (WAXF) vs. Eirika (FE8) - Revolver Sweep can avoid FE counters but it doesn't matter since Eirika just ORKOs.  Alexia isn't durable.
Clarissa Arwin (WAXF) vs. Auron - Hmm.  Clarissa has the MP for Sacrifice + 8 shots of Rob Turn but... Auron opening with Magic Break does ruin Sacrifice pretty bad (and Sacrifice being ITD is bad against Auron)... and after that she'd need 7 more shots and yeah I dunno, she's probably kind of dead if Auron ever sees a second.

Middle:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Sylvain (FE3H) - uh kneejerking Byleth despite Sylvain having Swordbreaker?  Sylvain kind of needs to be using Swift Strikes here and while that is, admittedly, a bit unstable thanks to Minor Gautier procs doing that with anything other than iron is getting him doubled so his ability to punch through Renewal is worse and SotC has this cool thing where it's 1-2 range.  Unless you want to hype Swift Striking with Short Spears but no way am I down with that being a repeatable thing on anything requiring Wootz Steel to repair. e: right, Vantage matters here too.  Yeah that's enough to go from uncertain lean to reasonably confident.
Aht (RH) vs. Flay (MK) - So Flay immunes sleep and won't get killed by a Star trap, this probably isn't working out too well for Aht even under the best of circumstances.
Nephenee (FE10) vs. Anastasia(SH2) - Goes first, doubles and 2RKOs under halfshifted averages.  While it's actually not unreasonable for Ana to take this if you toss out laguz non-royals, Ana vs Byleth was an egregious rob so I'm going to be particularly mean here.

Light:

Peppor (CC) vs. Linhardt(FE3H) - Yeah not having stats for any of the Solt/Peppor fights is probably too much of a problem.
Jelanda (VP1) vs. Poshul(CC) - Probably.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 05:01:22 PM by Random Consonant »

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 10:38:18 AM »
Godlike:

Belial (WA4) (No 4D Pocket) vs. Chaz Ashley(PSIV) - While the outcome of the previous match could've gone either way for Chaz as far as I'm convinced, this one is clear-cut.  Chaz is not killing in one Megid through the Distortion, and Belial heal-locks him at best. - also two-shield arguments are moot because even if it'd let him survive two, Belial gets a triple after his first turn, and Megid's not enough to punch through.

Heavy:

Kanji (P4) vs. Edgar (FF6) - P4 doesn't have meaningful status blocking.  Enter Noiseblaster.
Ness (EB) vs. Alicia (VP2) - this has Match of Doom potential, considering what VP2 blockers can catch, that's all I'll say for now.

Middle:

Light:

Edward (FF4) vs. Karn(BoF1) - oh god i actually have to vote on this.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 12:19:10 AM by 074 »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 03:03:28 PM »
Godlike:
Nailah (FE10) vs. Rayquaza(PKMN) - Yeah, my kneejerk was Nailah likely just 2RKOs and Ray despite going first, has issues doing the same. The evade is a real kicker here.

Heavy:
Alexia Lynn Elesius (WAXF) vs. Eirika (FE8) - Eirika gets off 4 attacks before Alexia gets her 2nd (2 on Counter + 2 on her turn). Even if you see Revolver Sweep bypassing Counters, it still runs into Evade. And yeah, Alexia isn't THAT durable. 
Kanji (P4) vs. Edgar (FF6) - Forget Noiseblaster, Air Anchor is also a serious issue for Kanji. Even if you see Endure kicking in, he now has no HP to actually use his better attacks and is stuck trying to win this with Ziodyne. P4G form has Fast Heal and Regen which again, makes this more interesting but I'll let user Snowfire dissect that one.
Clarissa Arwin (WAXF) vs. Auron (FFX) - Confirmed Sacrifice is inflluenced by Magic. Auron goes first and hits her with Magic Break, effectively cutting the power of each Sacrifice by 1/2, which is kind of a big deal. Clarissa deals a max of 309 damage at full HP to an average of 238 damage - translating to roughly 1.298 PC HP. Auron has 1.299x the HP Average, so even before Magic Break, he'll survive by the skin of his teeth. But with the damage cut, this means Auron about 1/2 his HP left and Clarissa post Sacrifice has really awful damage. GRANTED - she still has Rob Turn and Howling Shot's true line fire means she won't trigger counters thus nullifying Sentinel from mattering. But that's still a lot of shots she has to make, so my kneejerk is Auron probably has this. She's at real risk of running out of MP too because the programmers decided to make Howling Shot 32 MP for some reason.
Ness (EB) vs. Alicia (VP2) - PSI Flash wins this one. It takes a while because the status chances are random but Alicia can't threaten Ness since she lacks both status and her damage doesn't scare him. This means he has all the time in the world for Flash to eventually hit ID and win. If you give Alicia those random drop status protectors, I think she can immune it, which turns this match the other direction, but I don't allow those.

Middle:
Byleth (FE3H) vs. Sylvain (FE3H) I'll buy Vantage tipping the match given it's pretty close here.
Aht (RH) vs. Flay (MK) - Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Random on kneejerk. Star Trap requiring 2 turns to set up also doesn't help Aht here because that just gives more of Flay's timed cards to hit her amazing 0.67 PDur.
Florina (FE7) vs. Blanca (SH2) - Blanca at least has Speed to keep up, but he's fighting a losing battle. Red Comet having a recharge of x0.67 does him zero favors and the rest of his skillset is just asking to be hit with Killer Crit.
Nephenee (FE10) vs. Anastasia(SH2) - Yeah sure. I don't have a lot of respect for Ana's skills as a whole and even though Neph has less things going for her here than Byleth, I still find it hard that she just doesn't kill Ana before Ana gets lucky.

Light:
Peppor (CC) vs. Linhardt(FE3H) - Kneejerk. If someone comes up with the stats for Peppor, we can look at this closer! Till then...
Jelanda (VP1) vs. Poshul(CC) - Poshul is a CC scrub but Jelenda is a VP1 Mage. One of these is lower on the totem poll then the other.
Boco (FFT) vs. Selphie(FF8) - So neither party can kill each other with direct damage - which means Selphie now has all the time in the world for a fatal limit. Gj Boco.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 08:29:27 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 06:05:43 AM »
I dunno if I'm willing to hype double criticals for Sir Leopold which gives him absurd damage, but I think even a crit + regular attack does the job here?  Jowy only has .95 PCHP.  DQ8 bosses are tanky enough not to get OHKO'd.

Heavy:

Doubled and dies horribly.
I didn't actually get Fast Heal in P4G, but...  documentation on how exactly it works is sketchy.  Does it halve status ailment time?  Reduce it to one turn?  Who knows.  FF6 statuses don't really have durations, but even if we say that Fast Heal cures Air Anchor fast enough to not die, it seems like Edgar can just spam Noiseblaster every single turn and get at least one confused action off.  FF6 enemies have their own wacky confuse script from Relm's command so I dunno if P4G confused Kanji can even break his own regen, but whatever, assuming there's some self-destructive HP cost moves in there.
Auron gets very, very few turns due to the turnsplit and Rob Turn.  But it just...  doesn't matter, because Magic Break doesn't wear off, and Clarissa's backup damage is so heinously bad after spending her HP on Sacrifice.  Given that Auron's weapon powers up over time, she actually probably doesn't even want to use Sacrifice ASAP, but rather save it for a finisher (even with low HP), which will at last make Auron's damage similarly bad...  until he gets his second turn and Power Breaks her, sending her damage back into the gutter.  This is probably one where you'd want to roll it out given that Auron wants to get the 2nd turn ASAP to greatly slow Clarissa's clock.

Middle:

Close match.  With standard DL scaling, Byleth's Renewal is definitely an issue...  Silver Lance SS is 0.535 PCHP, Iron Lance SS is 0.425 PCHP, Byleth has 1.11 PDur meaning they regen 0.22 PDur equivalent.  Byleth can gamble on a little Crest of Flames healing, Sylvain on Gautier procs for a little more damage.  Byleth needs 6 smacks with Sword of the Creator to win.  Sylvain wins in three turns off 3x Silver Lance SS for sure, or probably off 2x SL SS & 1x Iron Lance SS.

So assuming no procs and no evasion, Sylvain gets wrecked because 2x Swift Strikes don't kill but Byleth but SotC counters + regular attacks 8 times in the first two rounds.  So yeah, Sylvain needs to heft an Iron Lance at least once and just hope for some Gautier procs in there, which would push Byleth down to 6 smacks and at least allow evading one of those hits to win.  Of course, even the very scrubby Crest of Flames healing might be enough if Byleth gets 1 proc there, given that Sylvain is already gambling on at least 1 Gautier proc if he goes for the Iron Lance strat. 

I dunno.  Think this is looking Byleth-favored, 99 Hit on the Creator Sword is still good and 79 Hit is still acceptable with the two random number system.  Byleth also has 19 Crit vs. Sylvain's average Luck.

Note that if you throw out DL scaling for fun, Sylvain OHKO's Byleth and Byleth doesn't OHKO Sylvain (unless you spot them a free Death Blow or the like), and Sylvain has higher range, so he wins pretty cleanly under those assumptions, at least!

Light:

Chrono Cross boss speed plot!  My recollection is that the wacky way CC bosses got turns made them mostly "slow", and Peppor really needs to be seen as at least average, since the way you kill Linhardt is by doubling him.  Which is not hard, especially when he's using Nos strats, but not inclined to kneejerk for the CC boss.
Boco's terrible damage lets Selphie set up for limit nonsense.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 06:07:42 AM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
Godlike:

Arceus (PKMN) vs. Jenna Angel(DDS): Cosmic Power lets Arceus easily tank Bhairava. Jenna can dispel instead, but the form with dispel is also the one with Bhairava so if she dispels, Arceus just kills that form and goes back to the one that sucks.
Sir Leopold (DQ8) vs. Jowy Atreides(S2): Leo crit is turn 2 to me. Unsure if Jowy kills in two turns or not.
Belial (WA4) (No 4D Pocket) vs. Chaz Ashley(PSIV): Yeah Chaz damage is a bit short of the level needed to OHKO Belial, so we don't even need to work out if he lives long enough to get it.
Nailah (FE10) vs. Rayquaza(PKMN): Pretty sure. Nailah isn't killing later than turn 2 and I doubt Ray can do much to her in the meantime given that he has to go through her evade.

Heavy:

Alexia Lynn Elesius (WAXF) vs. Eirika (FE8): Opposite ends of the division.
Clarissa Arwin (WAXF) vs. Auron (FFX): Very good match. Auron opening with Magic Break is huge, more than halving Sacrifice damage. But from there on it's... very unclear what will happen. Rob Turn will remove most future Auron turns, but Clarissa needs so many of her own turns to win.

Middle:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Sylvain (FE3H): Think I agree with this. Might be slightly coloured by current in-game things. Vantage ensuring the first strike in a potential final hit is also nice.
Aht (RH) vs. Flay (MK)
Florina (FE7) vs. Blanca (SH2): Puts on too much pressure.
Nephenee (FE10) vs. Anastasia(SH2): Well Nephenee is certainly worse against status than Byleth so Ana has an argument for sure, but I'm not feeling confident either way.

Light:

Peppor (CC) vs. Linhardt(FE3H): Peppor is probably the most notable dueller we never got decent numbers for, and it absolutely matters here.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 10:39:44 PM »
Boco (FFT) vs. Selphie(FF8)  Boco could theoretically bypass limit range with a high damage critical.  Selphie will have gotten a decisive Limit long before that happens which means I'm not putting in the effort to math it out.  Rapture ends things on the spot.  Wall buys extra time to keep spinning for something good.  Even Aura is on the table thanks to Boco's low offense after which she might even get the The End spellset for overkill finisher, to say nothing of multi-Meteor, Flare, or Ultima.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 09:50:50 PM »
Godlike:

Sir Leopold (DQ8) vs. Jowy Atreides(S2) - I...  Want to say Jowy's evasion is good enough here?

Heavy:

Ness (EB) vs. Alicia (VP2) - Yeah, I think an ID blocker that takes multiple uncommon drops from the final dungeon to craft one is a bit far for my allowances.

Middle:

:D

Light:

Edward (FF4) vs. Karn(BoF1) - Karn 2HKOs, and there's nothing Edward can do to stop that.  In fact, Edward should've lost to Berserker due to Confusion immunity being a built-in perk of the Berserk passive (and then Berserker probably would've won here), but here we are.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 12:14:02 AM »
Godlike:

Heavy:

Middle:

Aht (RH) vs. Flay (MK)

Light:

Edward (FF4) vs. Karn(BoF1)- ugghhhhhh okay yeah sure whatever.
Peppor (CC) vs. Linhardt(FE3H)- I... thiiiink?  Lin really wishes he didn't eat double for using Nos, without that I think Peppor can whittle him down through Renew before Lin can finish him off.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 12:17:25 AM »
Godlike:

Heavy:

Clarissa Arwin (WAXF) vs. Auron (FFX): I don't think Clarissa can KO with any number of Sacrifices after the initial magic Break + damage?

Middle:

Byleth (FE3H) vs. Sylvain (FE3H): Swordbreaker?
Aht (RH) vs. Flay (MK)
Florina (FE7) vs. Blanca (SH2): I don't think she doubles with what she needs to.
Nephenee (FE10) vs. Anastasia(SH2): Some status. Nephenee isn't doing much to win ASAP.

Light:

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 05:11:46 AM »
Match Results:

Godlike:

Arceus (PKMN) || vs. Jenna Angel(DDS)
Sir Leopold (DQ8) ||(TIEBREAKER) vs. Jowy Atreides(S2) ||
Belial (WA4) (No 4D Pocket) ||||| vs. Chaz Ashley(PSIV)
Nailah (FE10) ||||| vs. Rayquaza(PKMN)

Heavy:

Alexia Lynn Elesius (WAXF) vs. Eirika (FE8) ||||||
Kanji (P4) vs. Edgar (FF6) |||||||
Clarissa Arwin (WAXF) vs. Auron (FFX) ||||
Ness (EB) |||| vs. Alicia (VP2)

Middle:

Byleth (FE3H) |||| vs. Sylvain (FE3H) |
Aht (RH) vs. Flay (MK) |||||
Florina (FE7) ||||| vs. Blanca (SH2) |
Nephenee (FE10) ||| vs. Anastasia(SH2) ||

Light:

Edward (FF4) vs. Karn(BoF1) |||||
Peppor (CC) | vs. Linhardt(FE3H) ||
Jelanda (VP1) vs. Poshul(CC) |||||
Boco (FFT) vs. Selphie(FF8) ||||||||

Winners move on to Round 6.  Losers are eliminated.