Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2016 Season 3 Finals  (Read 930 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2016 Season 3 Finals
« on: November 01, 2016, 01:03:02 AM »
Godlike

Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV)

Heavy

Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Georg Prime (Suikoden V)

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI)

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)

Data Mine

For the following games, please indicate if you have played the game.  Additionally, if there are non-playership reasons you could object to ranking the game, please indicate this as well.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Celestian Tales: Old North
I am Setsuna
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2016 Season 3 Finals
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 01:12:56 AM »
Donno on Godlike.

Heavy

Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Georg Prime (Suikoden V)-Status. Shield+equipping for durability makes sure he gets a turn.

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI)- Outlasts. Joe's offense isn't amazing.

E: Pools

Zeromus, Rupert, Sharon, Lenneth, Beowulf, Georg

Ursula, Rudy, Gangrel, Cecilia (ACF), Sgt Joe, Mog

Seifer, Clive, Nowi, Sheena, Ricardo, Igrene

H/G requires too much thought at the moment. Ooo Elfboy!

H/M: I think Gangrel sweeps at a glance and Rudy gets swept. Rudy goes down and probably Joe stays down? He only really beats Rudy... yeah, he's staying down.

L/M is also ugly. Seifer, Clive, Ricardo, and Nowi for who I can vote on. I kneejerk Ricardo going down. Seifer's in trouble if I hold him to the boss form.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:28:53 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 01:38:38 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Georg Prime (Suikoden V) - Gets a turn.

Middle

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)

Data Mine

For the following games, please indicate if you have played the game.  Additionally, if there are non-playership reasons you could object to ranking the game, please indicate this as well.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Not played
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - Played
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Not played
Celestian Tales: Old North - Not played
I am Setsuna - Partial played
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:18:47 AM by Random Consonant »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 03:40:47 AM »
Godlike

Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV): I think Dark Wave is just too much, being MT ITD damage. It... does depend a bit on how its unfocusing mechanics work, Meeple doesn't say. It only needs to do ~40% of its singletarget damage to OHKO the auras, though. Then... even if he takes two hits, I think focused Dark Wave is STILL strong enough to kill Ashera after that. The entire rest of his skillset is garbage against Ashera (evadable physicals or magic, lolnope).

A few things could tilt this fight. If I'm overestimating Dark Wave and Ashera can absorb a hit, that'd be huge for her and would win things for her. But a few things could tilt this the other way: Fou could be seen as going first, or Ashera's magic damage could be seen as holy. I don't think I take any of these views, but am pretty comfortable voting for Fou-Lu here.

Heavy

Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Georg Prime (Suikoden V): Even if you let Yellow Scarf cover all status, Georg MDef is so damn bad that it's possible that "halving status" still leaves some of Beowulf's stuff as turn 1, but I dunno. Moot for me, blah blah blah Break collect victory.

Let's not pretend for a moment that Beowulf's shield does much of anything here, though. Georg accuracy is surely good enough to hit twice in two turns even with full respect for Crystal Shields. If he gets a second turn, he wins.

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI): Joe's Heavy Damage means he isn't completely wretched here, but he still... 5HKOs with a Chief's Hat, by my accounting. But... Snare has a 73% chance to land in the first five tries, and Mog is faster. He might also win via damage, upping the odds slightly.

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword): The exact strategy Dhyer outlined for Ricardo vs Leonardo should work here too.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Played.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - Not terribly interested.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - No PS3/Vita, not likely to get either.
Celestian Tales: Old North - Played
I am Setsuna - Interested

Both games I have played are perfectly rankable should playership allow.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 03:44:07 AM »
Godlike

Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV)- I thought Dark Wave might just divide damage by number of targets alive which is...bad here. Pending depending on answer.

Heavy

Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Georg Prime (Suikoden V)- 2HKOs, don't see him being statused turn 1 through status-havling (are we sure S5 actually uses MDef for any status checks? That would be a break in tradition since no other Suikos do).

Middle

Data Mine

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Havne't played
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC- Played a little
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel- Haven't played
Celestian Tales: Old North- Haven't played
I am Setsuna- Haven't played

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:47:49 AM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 04:07:16 AM »
It doesn't fully unfocus because it's made up of many hits, and each successive hit which strikes a target is weaker than the last. So against one target, the 16th hit is quite weak, while against three targets it never gets past 6 against any one target. Just looked up a video and a 56/60 Dark Wave does 3042 total damage against three PCs (so about 1090 per PC).

1090 per PC kills the auras pretty bad if you want to take it that way... but if you see it unfocusing so that each aura takes two hits... eyeballing things that would probably be around 530 damage (less if Ashera already got a hit in), and yeah that doesn't OHKO the auras, which would probably tilt the fight back.

I'm open to arguments here.

EDIT: Oh yeah, S5 may not use MDef for status, but it certainly uses Magic. Beowulf checks MDef, though, regardless, and Georg is (exceptionally) bad at both, so it feels fairly moot in this case.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:31:54 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 04:38:08 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Data Mine

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE -Played, would rank
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha no
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - I will pray for this game's soul that it isn't a sequel to TiTS as well
Celestian Tales: Old North Played, would rank
I am Setsuna - Haven't played
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 05:12:21 AM »

I'll buy Elf's hype.  I'm also willing to see Fou as faster if that helps at all.

Heavy

Georg's magic score being horrible is not all bad, since FFT Faith is sorta the average of most other game's magic & (reverse magic defense) scores...

Middle

Sgt. Joe (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI)

Light

Ricardo vs. FE Archer, part II

Data Mine

Well, I did the stat topic on two of these...

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Interested, but probably won't play soon
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - In progress, but not gonna get to CS2 for a long time...
Celestian Tales: Old North
I am Setsuna
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:14:40 AM by SnowFire »

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 05:47:20 AM »
Heavy
Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Georg Prime (Suikoden V) - I guess it's possible if you use purely defender's properties for Georg to avoid a turn 1 status (since it seems there's some debate on whether or not S5's status rates are reduced by MDEF). However, I stick mostly with the attacker's definition/properties of the attacks, especially in cases where its fuzzy. So yeah, Beo equips for HP, survives a hit and whatever he uses is Turn 1 because Georg MDEF is amazingly awful. Georg would need like a 67% crit rate or something in order to win, which I don't think he has?

Light
Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - Dhyer math prevails part 2.

EDIT: Oh right Pools

H/G: Rupert, Lenneth, Beowulf, Georg

Immediate thoughts: Neither Rupert or Lenneth can take advantage of Georg's awful MDef. He's in his element against both, especially since his own evade is quite strong. Similar to Orlandu, Beowulf may be able to use the same strategy against Rupert with Aspil. However, I'm not 100% sure if he can pull this off as even if he does the same set up, he doesn't have the Auto-Haste and Rupert is fast. However, since his actual damage doesn't matter, he can set up for tanking which may give him enough time to drain all of Rupert's resources? Not sure. Lenneth wants to swap forms against multiple people here. She wants VP1 likely against Beo and Rupert as VP2 doesn't have the same damage output and she really wants to kill both with a OHKO (Rupert to avoid his limit and Beowulf to avoid giving him more status chances). Think she succeeds on Beo. Rupert...not 100% sure where I see his HP. But pretty sure she can manage? Kneejerk is that Lenneth > Georg > Rupert > Beowulf.

M/H: Rudy, Gangrel, Cecilia (ACF), Mog

Immediate thoughts: Rudy one shots Gangrel probably with Lock On SNIPE BULLET. The speed boost might let him avoid a double and Gangrel's P.dur is just so awful. He hits the right defense on Mog and Cecilia...not sure. If she can survive a double attack, she will probably run him out of charges. Even if not, Gangrel's at risk of biting it to a strong Elemental summon due to his awful durability. He's like a variant of Scythe, but avoids initiative issues. Probably beats Mog and that's it. Cecilia runs Rudy out of good damage is my kneejerk and has Quick to give her a boost/Retaliate to wall his damage. Feels like the odds are in her favor. Against Mog, she wins the stallfest and can cast Castle Wall to avoid status issues. Mog against Rudy is a lawlfest and he walls him. Kneejerk Cecilia > Mog = Rudy > Gangrel

L/M: Seifer, Clive, Nowi, Ricardo, Igrene

Immediate thoughts: Oh boy. Seifer's the real anomaly of this pack since how you scale him has a big impact. Regardless though, think Clive sweeps everyone but Nowi who can tank his damage and the counters add up. His excellent accuracy and good durability otherwise shuts down the other three. Nowi sweeps everyone since I don't think Ricardo's damage is enough to punch out her durability. It's close though since she's not particularly damaging either and his regen actually matters here by staving off turns he needs to heal which could run him out of SP. Pretty sure I just treat Seifer as some variant on PC and again, I don't take No Mercy literally. This means he probably loses to everyone sans Igrene since I don't think I see limits as counterable. Nowi > Clive > Ricardo > Seifer > Igrene.

Data Mine

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is the only one on that list for me. So...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:08:24 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Data Mine

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC is the only one I've played.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 12:58:40 AM »
Godlike

Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV): Two forms.

Heavy

Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Georg Prime (Suikoden V): Georg's Mdef isn't status resistance in S5 but FFT explicitly checks magic status against Mdef so I'll go with that.

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III) vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI): Physicals damage, beating Mog. Pick one.

Light

Data Mine

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: Not played.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC: Not played yet. Will.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel: Played. 3 will eventually come out and that would likely be the 'accurate' form of the duellers (since it is one continuous story arc)
Celestian Tales: Old North: Played. Maybe not rank if has sequels like it is supposed to...
I am Setsuna: Not played.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 10:59:06 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Data Mine

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Played
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - Not played
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Not played
Celestian Tales: Old North - Not played
I am Setsuna - Not played

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 12:52:50 AM »
Data Mining is fun!

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Played, not completed. Japanese version. No issues with ranking if we can get a stat topic.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - Started! Not completed because there's lots of reading and I want to take my time with it. No issues with ranking
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Not played, but I have a PS4 now, so maybe put it on the list?
Celestian Tales: Old North - Played, Completed! Rare non-Japanese JRPG, don't see any real issues with ranking it.
I am Setsuna Played, not completed, but it's currently in my rotation, and short, so it won't be long. Obviously seems like the most mechanically-fitting JRPG for the DL in a long while.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 09:25:33 PM »
Godlike

Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- i vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV)- iiiiiii

Heavy

Beowulf Kadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics)- iiiii vs Georg Prime (Suikoden V)- iiii

Middle

Sargent Jordi (Suikoden III)- ii vs Mog (Final Fantasy VI)- iiiiii

Light

Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)- iiiii vs Igrene (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)- i

Data Mine

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Elf, Ciatos, Twil, Djinn*, )
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC- (Random, Neph, Pyro, CK,  )
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Snowfire, Tied, Pyro, CK, )
Celestian Tales: Old North(Elf, Ciatos, Snowfire, Pyro, Djinn, )
I am Setsuna (Snowfire, )
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:31:33 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.