Register

Author Topic: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1 - Closed)  (Read 12681 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1)
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2016, 07:35:38 AM »
"Such a time will come, I assure you Lady Aaeiko. However, as you say, we shall use this night to let rumors run their course and reassure the people. We did have a plot of land in mind for any potential influx, but it is as of yet undeveloped. Not wholly untended, just empty. Should you use that space tonight to say, host a relatively quiet gathering to mingle with curious locals, I doubt anyone but Lady Hakuhi could gainsay you." he gives his boss another sidelong look. "Could you, m'Lady?"

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2016, 07:52:14 AM »
Akeha's lips quirk. "I hardly could," she shakes her head. "We can certainly assist with making the space more livable as well, and it is not at all beyond our protection. But we are running at capacity for our inns with normal traffic," she nods. "If there is anything you need in the immediate term, please let us know."

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »
Lee nods. "I think we can manage for now," she replies. "We will need permission to trade on the dock, of course, to secure supplies and advertise and so on, but aside from that..."

She rises, clasping her hands together. "It has been a pleasure. Until we talk again?"
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2016, 09:00:50 AM »
As the talks continued, Rishi found himself inexplicably getting drawn closer and closer to the cabin, and eventually the reason why became clear.

He made his way through the crowd, and calmly walked aboard the boat as if it were the most natural thing in the world for him to be there, showing no sign to be suspicious of his presence, and walked up to the cabin door. Just as he heard the talks conclude, he arrived, and knocked on the door one, two, three times, just loud enough for only those inside to hear him.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
"What is it?" singsongs Lee, standing up.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2016, 05:07:09 PM »
"I have a message for Lee Aieko," Rishi cheerfully mentions. "Please open the door so I may deliver it."

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2016, 07:35:45 PM »
The man in the robes on the deck walks the rest of the way over and opens the door himself.  "My apologies Lee, the man has been slowly wandering across the decks like a lost lamb."  He lets his gaze move over to the two strangers in the room, and adresses himself to Akeha in an odd variant of the local language.

"Verily, is this not one of thine sworm men, lady of the great holding of the eternal spring?"

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2016, 08:44:57 PM »
Akeha blinks, staring at the man in his robes as if momentarily dumbfounded as he speaks in something resembling her native tongue. "He is an independent operative known to me as an ally of sometimes troubling impertinence," she responds, struggling a bit with what seemed to be an odd and archaic priestly grammar.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:56:38 PM by May »

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »
He cocks his head a bit, and seems to take a moment parsing what he heard before he speaks again.

"A greivous misfortune.  But now may the time be of the making of well meetings.  I am Khun, of the illustrious blood of Zhao, of the Port of the Thousand Flowing Spirits under the Hundred-tongued God.  I am a knower of a thousand truths, a bringer of well-being, and a crafter of existence.  Mine is a man of journies, prithee would rest here for a time, rending my skills upon this place should it be well wished by yourself.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2016, 09:00:43 PM »
As the man opens the door, Rishi lets himself in and closes it behind the two of them quietly, so as not to interrupt the newly forming conversation. He waits until Lee meets his gaze, at which point a shining circle appears on his forehead for a brief moment and he gives her a knowing nod and smile.

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
"I am Hakuhi Akeha, eldest daughter of the unyielding and noble line of warrior-lords called Tetsuzuru, iron taloned guardians of the Land of Roads and Rivers under the Emerald Throne," Akeha returns the introduction, slowly getting more comfortable with what felt like conversing in prayers. "I welcome your blessing of truths and bid you stay as you need and desire, for studied sages are always of good portents."

To anyone that can speak Old or High Realm, words pop out here and there as individually comprehensible, but the grammar is a strange sing-song of twists and turns in on itself.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2016, 09:29:49 PM »
He sideyes the glimmering sigil and conspiratorial nod before continuing.

"Much gladness is there in your tidings.  If there is a house of the leaves of pressed truths of the venerable...  sages, much happiness would I have at passing my days within such confines.  As well, much desiring I have to see the industry of the house of maladies, that I might work under it's roof."  He pauses for a moment, letting himself look from the associate to Lee, and then let his vision linger on Akeha and her other associate, an eyebrow arched just enough to imply a question in the glance.

"Before the partaking in of queries, I should wish to slake my lack of knowledge.  Should another of your swornlings be anticipated?  For the venerable and wise Zhenli shall rend asunder with a mighty gnashing of jaws and fang any other who, with great impertenence, attempt to hear words not meant for their ears, and a most ingracious guest it is that dismembers the servants of their host."

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »
Vol's face is neutral, trending towards opaque as Rishi rushes in and announces himself to the world. He politely declines to notice, instead noting the questioning glance from the other newcomer who speaks in unknown but increasingly familiar tongues to Vol. His eyes soften and he regards him with a smile, trusting Akeha to prompt him should the man address him directly.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 12:36:01 AM »
Lee takes the arrival of another apparent Solar with only momentary poise.

"What a momentous occasion! I am honoured, blessed and charmed," she declares. "I see I was not the only one drawn to this town! Pray tell, how many more little suns might we mine from the rich vein of mankind beyond your misty port?"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:42:58 AM by Carthrat »

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 02:27:06 AM »
"Fear no other intrusions of that one's nature, he is the only one capable of them in my cohort. The persons sworn to me are by and large simple warriors, while both these men serve silver's humble temptation. Ah..." Akeha smiles wryly. "The house of maladies may be sought out easily,  for it is visible from the main place of common gathering. As to your other inquest, I believe we have most remorsefully reached the limits of our ability to consumate this conversation in a privately shared tongue," she laughs.

Switching to Forest tongue, "I apologize, I have few enough opportunities to speak in the Tongue of Dragons that I could not resist even a conversation in a sibling language," she admits, nodding to Khun. "Unfortunately, I don't think anyone else in this room speaks anything close enough to get more than a few words."

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 03:56:54 AM »
Khun lets out a grin as he nods back.  "Yeah, my family believed in learning languages, my master believed even more in learning them, and he said that yours was one of the best for both reading old stuff and talking with living, breathing, regular people.  After talking with you, I'm thinking the version he teaches is better for the old books than the people.  Speaking of old books, my other inquest was for libraries."

A frown crosses his face as he thinks.  "Which reminds me.  Some idiot, or more likely collection of idiots, opened up at least one tear in reality over in the Nine Rivers.  Probably, hopefully, accidentally.  Wyld's spilling through, and it's all nearly killed the San River.  The goddesses of the rivers need help, but are pissed off at mortalkind collectively it seems.  You could say I was blessed enough to be able to kill the Wyldspawn I found, and I shut down the only rip I could find, but there's more, and I don't know where.  Hopefully it's far enough away it won't spill on you, but if it does, well, at least you know."

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 04:22:21 AM »
"Dragon's tongue is useful perhaps for speaking to some nobility, but..." Akeha shakes her head. "That format, at least in Suizasho, is more like our liturgical format. But yes... ah, libraries, unfortunately, we do not have in Inaba. And I would not especially recommend traveling upriver. We are a reclusive people," she nods, paling as Khun brings up Nine Rivers.

"I sent five men down to Nine Rivers to confirm if any of the rumors were true..." she admits, pursing her lips. "Now I fear for their safety, I think."

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2016, 04:31:10 AM »
"Right then, do you know what route they were going to take?  And do you have someone who could find them in the field?  I can travel faster than any ship, and bring one person along with me."

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2016, 04:46:54 AM »
Rishi audibly clears his throat. "I believe I may be of some assistance there."

He turns to each of them in turn, starting with Akeha. "You and your men have been a blessing for this town, and I would like to offer my services free of charge in making sure they are taken care of."

Next, his gaze goes towards Vol and Lee. "I have spare funds enough to help ease the budget for Inaba in terms of creating housing for the refugees without having to impose any new forms of tax on the people, and I can probably spare some to help fix up the boat as though it were new, in case it is needed in the near future."

Lastly, to the strange robed man. "If you will have me, I am quite adept at finding what needs to be found, especially from great distances. I have also been down to the land of the Nine Rivers a number of times, myself, and so am no stranger to the area."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2016, 04:53:43 AM »
Lee tuts to herself as she turns to Rishi. "I believe there is a misunderstanding present which I must correct," she states, clearly. "We are not refugees seeking to huddle away from the vicissitudes of life in the strong arms of a protector, nor beggars or the dispossessed in need of charity. We have much to offer. You are kind, but I must insist on repaying any debt incurred."

She snaps her fingers. "That is karma."

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2016, 04:55:48 AM »
Khun rubs his chin as he thinks, then changing his facing to take in the newcomer as best he can while still primarily facing Akeha speaks.  "Greetings, I am Zhao Khun, initiate of the First Circle, journeyman of the Craft, and walker of twilight.  Your independent operative is acceptable to me, so long as you believe your men will listen to him.  Aside from that, if you can show on my map roughly where you expect them, I can search."

With that, he rummages about in his bag, and pulls out a smallish scroll and unfurls it, showing a rough map of the nine rivers that seems to be partly done by a fanciful carotgrapher, and showing recent additions added in a cramped hand.

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2016, 05:01:43 AM »
"I doubt my men will listen to him specifically, but I can provide a letter that should ease their desire to cooperate," Akeha nods, looking over the map. "This road here," she taps her finger, tracing it from the nearest port on the Yellow River coast inland to their capital. "Unless there was a major obstacle on it, they would have followed it expecting to pick up information."

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2016, 05:08:42 AM »
Reaching into his bag he pulls out a simple wooden case and a bottle of ink.  Removing a pen from its case he draws a few symbols on the map near where Akeha indicated.  Then he stoppers the ink bottle, and lets the map dry while he pulls out a rag and mindlessly wipes the nib of his pen clean while turning to face the newcomer and Lee.

"Right then, operative, get anything you'll be needing and get back here.  We'll go when you get back.  Lee, I'll need to nab about a week's worth of food from you before I go, and a bigger favour.  I won't be able to take Zhenli with me on this one.  Can you watch over him for me?"

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2016, 05:15:08 AM »
Lee snaps open her fan and covers her mouth. "From me, Master Zhao? I, ah, of course!" she says, momentarily flustered. "We can spare a little rice and some perishables. Fish, of course. I suppose we should make it into jerky before you go, but that would take some time... but of course I can take care of Zhenli. Though, he is more like to take care of me."

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2016, 05:19:34 AM »
"Absolutely not," Akeha interjects, stern and insistent. "They are going after my men, to ease my concerns," she shakes her head. "Master Zhao, I have supplies on hand for soldiers to march with for an entire company. We will certainly supply you with anything you need. I will not stand for guests adding burdens to each other when already doing me a favor," she insists, her blunt and almost abrasive tone showing a clear lack at delivery, but perhaps understanding what was going on as ell as her social obligations.