Author Topic: Is there a politics thread? Guess I'm making one  (Read 46467 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a politics thread? Guess I'm making one
« Reply #600 on: February 01, 2017, 01:13:20 AM »
Well yeah I thought he was going to lose in a landslide; I had no idea Hillary was going to be as hurt as badly as she was on free trade (An issue I support her on to boot). If it's Elizabeth Warren or Sanders or Time Kaine, I think Trump loses pretty badly and I hold to that.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 01, 2017, 01:23:11 AM »
That is another discussion and certainly one up for analysis and debate, but that is not the issue; the snideness is that you nonstop ragged on Hillary so hard like you were prescient and HOW COULD SHE SCREW THIS UP when you yourself were convinced she wasn't going to lose. It is in bad form to give someone shit over losing something and losing sight of her supposed flaws (then armchair advice giving like you could've run the campaign better) which you repeatedly brought up in the aftermath as opposed to saying "wow, okay, I was wrong too" at a bare minimum admission. Criticism is fine when you aren't standing on a high horse you have no right to be on.

For the record her campaign team saw the warning signs in the final week before the election and were quite nervous, so they were not completely ignorant in that regard. I am pretty sure Hillary was less certain of her assured victory than many of her supporters TBH.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 01, 2017, 01:47:45 AM »
https://medium.com/@jakefuentes/the-immigration-ban-is-a-headfake-and-were-falling-for-it-b8910e78f0c5

Fairly good read of the coverage/protests of what's happened this week and, frankly, the million dollar question of what's really going on.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 01, 2017, 01:56:43 AM »
One thing I definitely want to stress is that the view that Trump was a weak candidate who could only lose to Incompetent Hillary is not a productive view at all. We can debate if a generic Democrat would have won (I'm personally skeptical, but that's not the point), but let's face facts: Trump won because he effectively got his message out and convinced people - a lot of people - to vote for him, and managed to garner comparable support to Romney despite losing some NeverTrump Republicans. This is deeply concerning and absolutely needs to be part of the dialog of how to make the US (and other nations) less susceptible to Trumpian snake oil in the future.

This is especially important because Trump is not an isolated case. Orban, Duterte, Le Pen (potentially), etc., have had success on rather Trump-like platforms and strategies. You can throw Brexit in there if you want; there are certainly parallels. All were underesimated. If nothing else good comes from these terrible events, I just hope that at least we will stop underestimating these people in the future.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 01, 2017, 03:10:00 AM »
That's a fantastic read, Laggy.

So...since Friday, this has been insane.  A few examples:

1) The international exchange we do?  Cock-blocked, as even though Oman is not a banned country, they take students in the health sciences from multiple countries that are banned!  So that's been a disaster.

2) A colleague of my wife is now stuck in Iran as deported.  She was on the way home from seeing her family in Iran, and got to the airport after the ban was passed (while she was flying home).  She was informed that she can either be deported back to Iran, or surrender her green card.  Her attorney was fighting to let them make her stay until the courts decided on the green card issue, but she was forced to go back to Iran...2 hours more, and she would have been fine! 

She's a goddamned trauma surgeon.  Cause those aren't important to have on-hand.

An extension - does anyone realize 10% of our resident physicians (the slaves primary workforce of medical practice) are from the Middle East?  I mean, it's not going to be a massive number of people affected, but we have a huge physician shortage, primarily in underserved areas, and this does not help.  Match Day is coming up - and if things aren't solidified by then, we may have a significant problem with staffing hospitals and even clinics.

3) Hey, that hiring freeze for government officials?  Apparently affects public health medical professionals.  I have multiple students I'm trying to work with who had jobs confirmed or in process that are now fucked.  Everything is frozen.  I'm not sure if everything was thought through appropriately...dur.

When I was thinking about Trump way back when, I didn't take him seriously until I started seeing people drop out of the Republican race for the president nomination.  When he got the nomination, I was a little afraid, but didn't seriously think he could win (faith in the average person to see through the lies and fakeness).  I didn't think people would make such a mistake.  Then I thought, "hey, the electoral college is supposed to be there as a safety net in case the country makes an uninformed, stupid decision, they'll surely fix this" but nope, doesn't happen.  As Elf said, he found a way to speak a message that resonated.  And it's going to look like he's doing it (but seriously, you're not bringing back manual labour manufacturing jobs...come on), even though it'll be a goddamned magic show.  Not something to forget, and it is remarkable he succeeded. 

Frankly, I am so concerned about his cabinet and appointees (among other things).  I think Chao and Mattis are the only reasonable people I can think of so far (Mattis has spoken out against Trump already, and I hope he continues, although I haven't seen him weigh in on the travel ban or national security addition of Bannon yet, so...).  Other than that...I think McCain is a reasonable Republican, but I'm running out of people to complement.  Steve Bannon is a disaster, and him being on the security council is awful.  I've been listening to NPR for my drive to and from work every day (3 hours of it in total...yay) since October.  They had an interview today with someone talking about how Bannon is a great idea to have on the committee...no.  No no no no no no no.  I'm calling my rep this week.  That's a good script, Zenny.   

I've also been reading multiple sources with multiple leanings (CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, Breitbart, NPR, NYT) just to see every side of the spectrum.  While there is a...rare writing in the right-leaning stuff that is actually rational (such as this: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/01/31/juan-williams-democrats-neil-gorsuch-and-trump-get-ready-for-toxic-combination-america.html), the majority is insane.  IN-FUCKING-SANE.  I have trouble imagining how people can actually believe some of this shit.   Kudos to Sally Yates for doing what an attorney general should do, and what the hell to her being fired for following the law and justice.  All the right-leaning media is demonizing her and saying that position should follow the president?  No.  No.  Checks and motherfucking balances. 

Yeah, I don't think I've actually been terrified of the way this country is going...ever.  At least most of the media outlets that matter realized what happened, and they are doing their best to show the truth....but I'm not sure that's enough.  I am truly hoping for an impeachment of Trump.

Then Pence.

Then Paul Ryan.

President Orin Hatch sounds fantastic right now.

(Yes, I realize that doesn't really fix anything.  Let me hope)

Just...needed to say something.  This is truly something that cannot be ignored.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:15:35 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 01, 2017, 06:49:16 AM »
I don't want to turn this into pointing fingers

Fuck that noise, I absolutely dude.

Looking gooooooooooooooood.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 01, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/CharESilver/status/826447357105491968

I've tried to mostly avoid posting in here for several reasons, mostly not wanting to be seen as a crazy doomsayer, or spout now-pointless I-told-you-sos.  I guess I should at least once, though.  So here we go.

Trump's (and when I say Trump, I mean that as a shorthand for his entire regime, including Bannon etc) behavior has never been mysterious.  It has been and remains crystal clear.  His quote about doing whatever he wants and grabbing people by the pussy is neither a joke nor an exaggeration.  This is hard conservative abusive power play 101.  He is not going to stop.  He is going to go all the way.  Deadly serious.  While I hoped to escape that world and not have to talk about it very much here, it's depressing and baffling to see people still - STILL!  NOW! - not taking him seriously and saying things like "there's no way this will hold up in court!" and "keep it up, our congressmen say they're swamped with complaints!"

None of that is going to do anything, because enforcement has sided with Trump.  The rule of law is already dead and gone.

Not to say that calling your congresscritters is a bad idea or you shouldn't do it; I did, and you probably should.  It can't hurt... much.  Probably.  But we are far past the point where that could effect any meaningful change.

It no longer matters what the courts say.  It no longer matters what Congress says.  The power of enforcement is gone; people at the airports have no choice but to do what the men with guns tell them to do, and that's all there is to it.  Very simple.

Impeaching Trump is also useless, this late in the game.  You want to know what happens if Congress votes to impeach him tomorrow?  Everyone voting in favor is arrested and replaced.  The impeachment is declared null, invoking some procedural loophole, or making one up if necessary.  Or the vote fails in the first place, because too many congressmen are afraid for their lives, bribed, or make a decision to stay in office where they can try to accomplish some small things instead of throwing their career away in opposition.  Trump supporters throw a victory parade about removing "the threat to America."  Non-Trump supporters maybe finally get up and riot, and are duly shot. 

The only remaining realistic hope of stopping Trump is a military coup, and even that is looking less realistic by the hour.  These court orders, these congressional acts - someone's going to have to stand up and enforce them, with emphasis on the "force" part.  The Marshals are, apparently, already declining to do so, despite that being their job.  So the prospects for people who even *can* do this are getting mighty slim, and many of them seem more inclined to side with Trump than against him.

That's really all there is to it, in the present.  People do what the men with the guns tell them to do.

If you want to look into the past, sure, blame everywhere, lots of warning signs.  Warning for extreme personal take here forward.  The Patriot Act and establishment of the DHS laid the groundwork of a takeover, and the failure to repeal or meaningfully challenge them cemented its inevitability. 

The last remaining olive branch of popular accountability in the system, the one thing people could point to and go "you need this or it won't fly" was the presidential election.  Not just now, but 17 years ago, after Congress' first attempt to impeach a modern-era president failed.  That affirmed to the public that 'President > Congress' in terms of authority.  Regardless of what the law actually says the President's powers are, what people believe is that an Executive Order from the President is the highest level of authority in the United States, and it's belief that matters here.  Particularly, the belief of a majority of law enforcement and armed forces.  The Democratic Party to date has completely and utterly failed to understand this, or, more charitably, refused to believe it, placing their faith instead in the rule of law.  But that, unfortunately, is not what the electorate at large actually wanted or expected. 

Obama ran on a platform of Change and grand campaign promises, won resoundingly, and then failed to make good on his promises.  Didn't close Guantanamo.  Didn't make a grandstanding pullout in Iraq.  Didn't establish universal healthcare.  Lost against Congressional terrorist tactics and budget shutdowns.  Failed to even quell the most ridiculous rumors about him being a secret Muslim Kenyan.  Sure, he did a lot of other great things, but nobody cares.  To the fickle and unengaged general public, he was a weak failure of a president who promised change and action and failed to deliver it, instead wasting his entire stock of eight years of political capital on a half finished, less than half funded healthcare system that took the next president just a couple of days to completely dismantle.

Then the Democrats come and run Hillary, on the same platform or lack thereof that lost to Obama eight years prior, except there isn't even a Dubya and an unpopular war providing easy targets anymore.  Despite enthusiasm and momentum on the side of Bernie Sanders (another candidate promising to enact radical change, even compared to Obama), Hillary gets the nom, and faces yet another candidate promising radical change. 

And now here we are, with Trump having passed the last test he needed to pass.  He gets to do what he wants now.  There's no one left to tell him no, and he has no qualms about using his power to gain more power.

Anyway, county sheriff Sally Hernandez is making something of a stand here in Austin, and it even looks like the police departments might be with her.  Abbott will probably try and have her removed within a month; if that goes down and I stop showing up here, you can assume that's where I'll be.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »
None of what you guys said (u too laggy sorry :() since I finally passed out 12 hours ago is helpful (neb and grefter get passes for being unable to anything directly, but Grefter not the fucking time)

Enough theorizing, people. If you don't have some CONCRETE ACTION that's going to come from talking about whether the protests are playing right into Trump's hands, whether we're all doomed, or who is to blame, then what you're talking about is meaningless.

The house is on fire and everyone is going to sit around squaking and not doing anything because nobody's yelling, YOU, IN THE RED STATE, YELL AT YOUR SENATOR.

It's hard. Coming up with any steps to do SOMETHING is hard. There's a reason why Occupy Wall Street didn't get anything done. There's a reason it took 2 months after Trump's election for all the political posting to be theorhetical "everything gonna suck bro :(" to "OKAY HERE'S A BULLET POINT LIST OF WHAT TO DO".

And believe me, there's nothing more that I am inclined to do than sit around watching youtube feeling like everything is too big but EXCUSE ME THERE IS A NAZI SITTING IN ON THE MEETINGS WHERE THEY TELL WHICH BROWN PEOPLE TO DRONE STRIKE.

Not the time. Call your reps if you haven't.

Scared of Bannon?

Are these all old institutions that haven't produced any meaningful change in our lifetimes and we don't know what the effects are going to EXCUSE ME

FUCKING NAZI

ARMY DUDES

GRAB THE BUCKET AND DOUSE THE FIRE

If you can write a big long post about why we're fucked you can go write an investigative piece of journalism on the Trump cabinet member scares you most and then try to get the word out to people who don't know. No, don't post the article on GamerGhazi they already woke, but consider this: even my ultra liberal literally-living-in-a-commune-in-the-mountains parents don't understand the current existential threat because Bannon made sure nobody knows who he is unless they spent way too much time staring into the canary in the coal mine that was GamerGate. He is that fucking devious.

We need to educate. Go get writing usefully or please just do something.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:43:18 PM by Makkotah »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 01, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »
Yeah, I already have made plans to attend my rep's next town hall, I fully intend to rake him over the coals on this.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 01, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
DLers have marched, are calling, have written letters, are going to their capitols, so don't get the sense that everyone's just sitting on their ass sniffing the flowers. But, it would be great were the percentage to increase, I don't doubt that. So, thanks for the vote of encouragement Zenny!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 01, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
You're absolutely right. I'm just trying to keep people on task.

I just had an idea.

It's time to make some propaganda.

The idea, I'm going to print out a bunch of fliers with Steve Bannon's face, below which will be the question "Who is Steve Bannon?" and a QR code that will link to the website. Kind of like a viral marketing campaign, because if marketing is going to work on people we may as well use it for good. Anyway, take these fliers and post them all over college campuses, malls, etc. Places where people who don't spend every waking hour on the internet will go.

The website itself will be plain, with concrete, public domain facts framed in such a way that even white folk who passionately endorse Trump will be afraid of him after reading it.

It's just an idea that popped into my head and feedback to make it better would be nice, but while I can write I can't code at all and any flier I make is gonna be fugly. I'll do the abyss gazing and gather the facts, but I'm going to need help in both those arenas.

This is all assuming he isn't just drone-bombing fuckers left and right in a couple days, ofc

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 01, 2017, 07:24:33 PM »
If anybody needs a spirit-booster, two GOP senators, Murkowski and Collins, are now on record opposing Betsy DeVos to head the education department. Contra Alex, I do think it's possible (though highly unlikely) that existing institutions can block Trump's power grabs if a few Republicans will see the light, and this would be a very good precedent.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 01, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »

I just had an idea.

The idea, I'm going to print out a bunch of fliers with Steve Bannon's face, below which will be the question "Who is Steve Bannon?" and a QR code that will link to the website. Kind of like a viral marketing campaign, because if marketing is going to work on people we may as well use it for good. Anyway, take these fliers and post them all over college campuses, malls, etc. Places where people who don't spend every waking hour on the internet will go.

The website itself will be plain, with concrete, public domain facts framed in such a way that even white folk who passionately endorse Trump will be afraid of him after reading it.

It's just an idea that popped into my head and feedback to make it better would be nice, but while I can write I can't code at all and any flier I make is gonna be fugly. I'll do the abyss gazing and gather the facts, but I'm going to need help in both those arenas.

This is all assuming he isn't just drone-bombing fuckers left and right in a couple days, ofc

Also, register Twitter, Facebook, or something with...I don't know.  @TheREALStevenBannon or whatever (this may be illegal/not allowed).  Tweet facts and updates daily.  Tweet at big names and retweet it.  Most of the country gets their news in microstories now from social media, so that's a place that has to be targeted. 

Plan to call my representative and both state senators tomorrow when I have a free bit in the afternoon, for all the good I doubt that will do.

Good to hear about DeVos opposition.  That's...top 3 worst appointments, easily.  There are some GOPs that I think do see the light.  I think a lot of them are blinded by UNLIMITED POWER with the set-up we have now (complete GOP control!  let's do shit we couldn't before!), and sacrificing their moral obligation a bit. 

Now...I'm really interested in seeing the supreme court fight that's coming.  This will be extremely...interesting.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 01, 2017, 08:26:53 PM »
The nice thing about the Supreme Court fight is that Gorusch really is a solid pick for the GOP to make. He's very right-wing, but he's not off in crazypants land that I've seen – any Republican justice is going to be anti-abortion, for instance. That part sucks, but it sucks predictably. And he's better on criminal justice than a lot of other people Trump considered for the job (including the other “finalist”). His one big quirk is that he opposes so-called Chevron deference, where courts will in many cases let agencies apply any “reasonable” interpretation of an unclear law, instead of enforcing what they consider to be the single best interpretation. That's been a conservative position for years, but under Trump the actual effect would be to give his appointees less power to do whatever the hell they want, so sure, let's go with the guy who hates Chevron.

That said, I do think the Democrats need to fight tooth and nail over the fact that it should be Merrick Garland sitting in that chair, because if you normalize straight-up refusal to confirm any Democratic nominee then no Democratic nominee will ever be confirmed again.....although that presumes the continuation of constitutional democracy and thus puts the cart before the horse.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 01, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
Good idea, I forget that twitter exists. I have no idea how to use it or to get a tweet out to tons of people but fuck I guess it's time to learn.

go follow it and retweet it or... however this works. (fuck i got old at some point and learning unfamiliar technology is a chore)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 01, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »
Does anyone want the password so they can post from it? PM me. I need to take a break and go exercise before I lose it.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 02, 2017, 03:03:58 AM »
THIS IS HAPPENING.

Quote from: Update from Standing Rock volunteer
Friends,

I have returned from Standing Rock with my mind blown, my heart broken and my spirit troubled with foreboding of a deepening tragedy. Volunteering as a legal observer with the Water Protector Legal Collective I witnessed several confrontations between Water Protectors (WP) and law enforcement: national guard, sheriffs and private security (LE).

On 1/18/17 - 1/19/17 I observed WP with their hands in the air chanting “hands up don’t shoot” being fired upon at a range of 10 to 15 feet. Tear gas canisters and rubber bullets ( rubber bullets are regular bullets covered in rubber) were used against unarmed WP who had been singing and praying. I observed national guard chasing WP off the Backwater bridge, firing at people running away. I heard people choking and gagging from tear gas. I saw access to the WP medic vehicles being blocked. I spoke with medics and WP who described bullets penetrating flesh and causing terrible injuries, including to one media person who nearly lost his finger when his camera was targeted.

I talked with a media person and was told of 4 media people on the bridge that night, 3 had their recording devices shot and the 4th, his hand. I saw a photo of a sheriff aiming a rifle directly at a media woman who was standing apart from the crowd. I heard testimony of the back of the medic pickup truck being awash in blood after evacuating wounded.

I watched, and then, inadvertently became a part of, WP being forced off the bridge by national guard who were hiding behind WP vehicles parked along the road and firing rubber bullets at fleeing people. Many people were shot in the back, the neck, the head. When LE fired at people at close range, many were shot in the genitals or in the face. I received information about DAPL security breaching the short wave radio channels of the WP with taunts such as ”come out and fight like men you faggots or we will come to Camp and fuck your women.”

There are some young warriors, who, without the support of their elders, many who want the camps cleared to mitigate the economic and social damage being suffered by the local community in having the bridge closed, have vowed to not leave the camps or to let the last section of pipeline be built.

Driving away from the area on Monday I saw a convoy of construction vehicles heading to the drill pad. Last night an indigenous website live streamed reports of drilling and construction noises coming from the drill pad.

Without the eyes of a free press these attacks and trespasses continue, with the human rights and sovereignty of indigenous peoples denied. The UN Committee on Transnational Corporations and Human Right Abuses was in Standing Rock this week to take testimony of the many transgressions against people: crop dusters spraying poison pesticides and fertilizers on the camps; hair samples indicating the presence of these chemicals; people who have been injured, beat up, arrested, strip searched; media and medics being targeted by snipers; (one medic told me he stopped wearing his Red Cross vest due to medics being targeted); praying people being attacked and the refusal of DAPL and our government to abide by the Rule of Law.

The vets who came in Dec to stand down against these crimes need to be on the ground there now, right now. We need to stand up for our brothers and our sisters, for their way of life and, I believe, for our social contract as a democracy which is now threatened.

Please share this so word gets out what is happening, thank you.
Deborah MacKay

its already happening

Standing Rock is the first battleground.

This doesn't not end in violence.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 02, 2017, 05:53:55 AM »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 02, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »

I just had an idea.

Do this and upload the template so others can print them out and scatter them around too. Bay area cali is left as all hell but that doesn't mean the majority of people are INFORMED about people like Bannon and what they're trying to do, so I'd happily print out a bunch and hang them up in places as well. Been meaning to take a day trip into the city proper to do some shopping anyway.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 02, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
If there's anything I have taken away it is that we don't have much direct power but you can protest and scream at politicians and make yourself heard. This form of protest does work and can push opinion, especially since I don't think a number of these Congressmen ever hear from their own constituencies.

Give to organizations like the ACLU, give your time to protests, give your time and consideration to those who are hurt or who are going to hurt by this horseshit. There are things we can do. It's hard in a majority red state like mine but I've started going to local meetings and worked to pressure my senators, who basically live on my walk to work. There isn't much of an organizational structure yet but I hope that is coming.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 02, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »
Good idea, I forget that twitter exists. I have no idea how to use it or to get a tweet out to tons of people but fuck I guess it's time to learn.

go follow it and retweet it or... however this works. (fuck i got old at some point and learning unfamiliar technology is a chore)

I've already been re-tweeting stuff that I see regarding what's going on recently. Most of my twitter feed is silent (kind of scary since a lot of them live in the states) but I've been getting a lot of notices from Liam O'Brien's twitter.  Which just kind of reminds me, even if you're not famous or anything, you should still make your voice heard. Don't let people oppress you from saying something - "Freedom isn't something you are given; it's something you fight for"
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 03, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »
let's be real we all knew that already it's just now we're terrified enough to do something

abject terror can be a pretty dang swell motivator

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:05 PM »
Just called, left a message

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 03, 2017, 11:26:40 PM »
https://traviscountystrong.wixsite.com/tc-strongertogether

Crowdfunding for Travis County law enforcement programs (and all their social programs and subsidiaries) to continue functioning, since Gov. Abbott followed through on his threats to pull all state funds.  If y'all want to do something actually effective, here you go, actual law enforcement resisting the executive orders and campaigning for sanity and the rule of law.

A bill to empower the governor to unilaterally remove and replace any elected official that he deems noncompliant with Trump's executive orders made it out of committee today.  Kind of surreal that Austin is in fact becoming ground zero, but here we are.