Author Topic: Is there a politics thread? Guess I'm making one  (Read 46513 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a politics thread? Guess I'm making one
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »
This is why I like pork.  Sure you play favorites, sure you pick and choose based on political considerations.  But injecting that sweet federal funding into a poor community for some construction project of marginal value creates some fucking jobs.  If there's a defense of the senate as currently constructed (there isn't really but bear with me here) take how fucked West Virginia is now, and compare it to how fucked it would be without 2 senators.  Scary thought.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2016, 09:59:46 PM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/29/fourth_circuit_strikes_down_north_carolina_voting_restrictions.html

A timely reminder that the GOP was fucking awful before Trump, and will likely remain fucking awful after him.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2016, 08:48:19 PM »
Skimmed article. Or when they invest, it is in "creative class" revitalization. I'm thinking of Braddock PA right now, or Bessemer or the bagillion other beat down towns with dying poisoned lower class families who have spoken about the harsh realities of deindustrialization for decades. If the premise is Bernie fans not actually getting over their old white savior, I don't buy it. It's like getting people to talk about systemic racism through the mouthpiece of one person. Let's just nix years worth of information, resistance, protest, capitulation by ignoring the actual community members. Skimmed it obv.

edit just saw jims articles. lawd.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:50:35 PM by dunie »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2016, 01:05:36 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/ To say the right is not having a good time with this election would be understating it. W hen the headline on the national review is about how the sitting president from the democratic party is right to denounce the Republican nominee as unfit... welp. And that's ignoring headlines like them trashing how bad conservative media is (They're correct here too.).
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2016, 01:20:41 AM »
I like to imagine whoever at NR keeps up with Fox and other outlets just spends his days these past few months sitting as his desk, foaming at the mouth, occasionally screaming things like "SHORT SIGHTED FOOLS", "TRAITORS", "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE" and of course "IA IA TRUMPTHULHU F'TAGHN"
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 06, 2016, 08:28:45 AM »
It's time to play the game.  You know which one.  "Real headline or Onion article"

"Former KKK leader David Duke is polling better with black voters than Donald Trump"

http://www.businessinsider.com/kkk-leader-david-duke-polls-better-with-black-voters-than-donald-trump-2016-8?r=UK&IR=T

"The Only Woman Donald Trump Can Think to Put in His Cabinet is Ivanka"

http://fortune.com/2016/08/05/donald-trump-cabinet-ivanka/

"Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has revealed his newly formed economic council. All 15 members are men, six are called Steve, one is a hotdog vendor and two are actual economists."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/05/donald-trump-economic-advisers

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2016, 08:56:47 AM »
Good policy.  Vancouver had a problem where buyers in Asia considered Vancouver property a good investment, so often would buy a house without ever living in the country, hold on to it for a year or two, and re-sell it.  This did indeed drive up prices.

In other news, Trump called for the assassination of Clinton...or possibly just her supreme court appointees--it's not clear which from the context.  (Not that this is so unexpected, but a few newsrooms did note that they didn't expect him to call for assassinations until like...October).

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2016, 01:55:57 PM »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »
On the one hand, this means the country is more likely to explode.  On the other hand, this also means Clinton is more likely to win.  2016, man.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 17, 2016, 05:38:43 PM »
Strikes me as irrelevant. Trump has already melted down, the poll numbers look pretty close to unsalvagble.
-------------------

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 17, 2016, 08:48:41 PM »
I'd like to believe that.  In the absence of some catastrophic event I DO believe that.  But catastrophes happen, sometimes.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2016, 12:16:56 AM »
I'd believe Gary Johnson has more of a chance than Trump at this point. Trump has past the point of being damaged goods, he is actually pushing a sizable portion of the Republican base (Who loathes Hillary) into supporting her. At this point HIllary could be arrested and she'd still likely win the general.
-------------------

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2016, 04:23:21 AM »
John "Torture Memos" Yoo just said he'd rather concede the Supreme Court than let Trump become president.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »
John "Torture Memos" Yoo just said he'd rather concede the Supreme Court than let Trump become president.

Outside of a couple of high profile defectors (Cheney offhand?) everyone involved in either Bush admin loathes Trump and wants nothing to do with him in office. Trump doesn't have the old guard in the party supporting him, on top of his catastrophically bad polling numbers with women/minorities/etc. He is toast. On a related note, so is everyone in the RNC/party who supported him, as there is going to be some much overdue purges done in wake of what should be an absolute landslide victory for Hillary.

Hillary getting a landslide victory with her serious baggage is as damning a statement you could make of the Republican party as anything else. I have no doubt that Mitt Romney would be winning at this point if he had ran and won the nomination.

-------------------

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »
https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/trump-rally-tweets-jared-yates-sexton/

Just in case Breitbart's takeover of Trump's campaign wasn't something you were worried about.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 23, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
Outside of a couple of high profile defectors (Cheney offhand?) everyone involved in either Bush admin loathes Trump and wants nothing to do with him in office. Trump doesn't have the old guard in the party supporting him

This was also true when he was ahead in the polls after the Republican Convention, though.  To his supporters, this is part of his "anti-establishment" appeal.  (Besides, the Bush family is close friends with the Clinton family behind the scenes).  Those close to Bushes probably also liked Jeb (exclamation point), and Trump probably ended Jeb's career.  I'd guess the Bush inner circle is still sour about that.  Whereas the general public never really cared about Jeb (exclamation point).

I'd believe Gary Johnson has more of a chance than Trump at this point.

I don't buy this.  Even if Johnson surges ahead of Trump in the polls, Trump is going to split the vote on the right.  It would be like if Bernie Sanders entered the race as an independent; even if he was well behind Hillary in the polls, he'd probably pick up 10% or something thanks to diehard supporters.  Trump also has diehard supporters who will not vote for anyone else if he's on the ballot.  I just don't see Johnson uniting the right while Trump is still on the ballot.

Whereas the reverse is not true.  Johnson could drop to negligible % of the vote total if Trump surges.

So while I can totally believe a scenario where Johnson ends the race with more votes, I think the likelihood of a Trump presidency is higher than a Johnson presidency.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:10:22 PM by metroid composite »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »
Agree about Johnson's chances vs. Trump's chances, but...

(Besides, the Bush family is close friends with the Clinton family behind the scenes).

What actually happened here: Bill, the Bushes, & Carter happen to be to be the only ex-Presidents out there.  And it's traditional for ex-presidents to duck somewhat out of politics, at least when it isn't an election season (where they'll usually endorse their party's candidate, speak at a convention, etc.).  The result is that there's a certain camraderie between among the only people who can relate to your former job while doing non-partisan charity fundraising events.  And honestly, it's great that they get along there, they can make America look Good and Respectable to the rest of the world that way.  That said, it's very much a personal "friendship" at most, and attempting to cash it in for some sort of political favor seems unlikely.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 24, 2016, 05:48:47 AM »
That said, it's very much a personal "friendship" at most, and attempting to cash it in for some sort of political favor seems unlikely.

Oh sure.  Same way I've worked in Georgia, and was personal friends with some Libertarians and Republicans.

That said, there's still a certain level of political alignment needed to have such a personal friendship.  I can't see such a friendship forming between me and an "I hate gays" republican.  To be friends and enjoy each other's company, you can't be ideologically divided on quite that level.

And Clinton and Bush are not too ideologically divided.  There are "agree to disagree" level differences there, to be sure, but not like "I can't be friends with you if you keep saying stuff like that" level differences.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 24, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »
I don't really agree with that? People can put aside politics enough to have friends who are quite strongly ideologically different from them; it usually means they agree to not talk politics with each other, unless they're both the type of people who can have heated political discussions and hold no grudges over it. I could bring up personal examples but really you've seen them in the DL! I imagine you've seen them in San Francisco too, because if you're a conservative there you have little choice, just like if you're a liberal in Oklahoma (ask Ciato). And rather famously they do exist in politics too (I remember reading how Obama was good friends with a super-conservative senator from Oklahoma who joined the senate at the same time), even without the obvious excuse of "this person is one of about five people in the world who truly understands the shit that the president of the US goes through" which I think would make one willing to look past rather a lot ideologically.

The "I hate gays" example I understand and I totally see where you're coming from on that, but homophobia and racism are, in their ugliest forms, directed towards specific people and thus very hard to forgive (and even then, they might enter "agree to disagree" territory if the other person isn't gay, black, etc., and they agree to never talk about it... depends on the person). Most other ideological views, even rather extreme ones (e.g. "everyone should pay a flat tax" or "minimum wage should be $20 nationally") are things that most people can forgive in others, even if they strongly disagree.

For the record: I'm not arguing about how close or far apart that the Bush and Clinton families are ideologically, more that you can't really use "but they're friends" to prove how close they are, since there are plenty of examples of people further apart than them who are friends.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »
That dynamic is probably different for people who have served in office (your politics is really on show) and even more so if you have been President obviously.

Not that this disagrees with you even.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.