Register

Author Topic: Which RPG character(s) would you like as a roommate or housemate?  (Read 1195 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Which RPG character(s) would you like as a roommate or housemate?
« on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
Crossposted from chat: this question came out of a train of thought about characters who are interesting on screen but dealing with their antics would not be fun in real life.  And since reading people's reasonings is fun, may as well ask here.  Along that line, discussion about which characters would be awful roommates is also welcomed.  You'd be dealing with the whole person here which includes all the quirks and eccentricities that come with them.  Whole different kettle of fish from meeting someone for 15 minutes.  This is a long term arrangement, heh heh.

Purely as a sanity boundary, let's stick to RPG characters in commercial releases.  You're welcome to make a separate topic for fangames, fighting games, anime, etc...

As for why the topic is in this subforum, I like the extra insurance that people not be a douche to others.  Not everyone values the same things; part of the fun is seeing different perspectives.  Asking if someone has considered a factor is well within the spirit of the topic; for me, I hadn't considered where the cauldron would be set up or dealing with fumes and the occasional explosion.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:12:10 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which RPG character(s) would you like as a roommate or housemate?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
A wealthy one who can afford to pay all the rent or at least one who has the ability to use magic to do all the housework.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
So, Nate Nanjo?

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:39:02 AM »
Co-ed or no? If we are talking about  roommates of the same gender, I'm more thinking of having someone I can get along with or have  something we can bond in common. Arnaud would probably be pretty cool to room with since he just seems so fun to be around, but I can also see rooming with someone like Fate. Easy person to kind of talk to there due to similar nature of hobbies. I imagine mah boi, Johnny "SPREAD MY WINGS" Garland would be a fine option too - especially if Lenny comes along and serves as a butler. Then as long as you don't behave like an ass, he'll probably do all the chores  too.

If co-ed is allowed, this is kind of a no-brainer option. 1st choice would probably be Towa, 2nd choice being Luserina. Both are organized, would help out with various tasks, and would take charge of situations when they need to. Towa would probably be super busy all the time though, but I imagine she'll be easier to relate to/become friends with since Luserina is still more of nobility. Some pros and cons there of course - Luserina would have all the finances to help pay for rent if necessary. One final thing is that Towa can also cook. Probably not all the time, but planning a meal together would cut on expenses and probably be healthier than eating out all the time.

The one person who I can think off the top of my head that would be cool to hang around with but I probably won't want to room with is Yuri. I imagine one evening, he'll have some sort of nightmare, change into a demon and break a wall in  the process.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:41:34 AM »
So for a houseguest/roomate, I'd want someone who is...
- Easy to get along with. Does chores/pays rent/is pleasant.
- Can watch the kids in lieu of rent so I can take the wife out sometimes
- Isn't going to get anyone hurt/killed due to enemies/power incontinence/superpowered-evil-side.
- Isn't going to be so famous/important that it causes issues.

Thinking through some games...

FF4: Cecil/Rosa/Edge are royalty, Kain is nuts, Yang is married, Cid is weird... Only Rydia really fits?
FF5: Bartz is wanderlusty and doesn't feel reliable. The girls are royalty.
FF6: Locke/Celes need their own space and have issues. Figaro bros are royals (and Sabin seems like he'd want to live in the mountains or something). Cyan has psycho issues. Gau is just no, no, no. Strago seems too uptight. Shadow is obviously out for being too creepy. Relm's a kid (and uh the painting thing could be an issue). Terra is... pretty good! Took care of a town full of orphans so she's got basic competence and childcare skills. No power incontinence. Generally pleasant enough personally... Good option.
FF7: Oh boy. Clouds nuts. Tifa is chained to Cloud. Barret is way too gruff/uptight. Cid is a pottymouth jerk. Yuffie will steal your stuff. Red is cool but uh there are obvious issues there. Aerith is dead. Vincent is just hell no what with the monstrous transformations and generally gloominess. Reeve... is actually pretty cool. And seems like he'd be good to chat up politics or something! Is competent and could hold his own job and so on. Not sure how he'd handle kids but he seems capable of dealing with emotions rationally (he broke the news to Aerith's mom). Definitely the best of the cast for that! The giant puppet thing would obviously not be the target.
FF8: Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope.
FF9: Zidane's a wanderer. Garnets royalty. Steiner's an uptight nuisance and stuck to Garnet. The nonhumans would be an issue for other reasons. Eiko is basically an adoption. Amarant is creepy and unpleasant... just not a good cast for this.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 06:26:17 AM »
Now that I've spent more than two minutes giving this thought, I realize Kiros would be a decent candidate.  This is kind of cheating since his main personality trait is "snark at Laguna" but he comes off as someone who would do his share of the housework and clean up after himself without fuss.  Being male also means he wouldn't occupy the bathroom for extensive periods as an additional perk.  Ward is also decent once adjusted to the whole "can't talk" thing for much the same reasons.  OK, he's a little less ideal.

They're miles better than the main PC cast.  Going to echo Pyro's "nope, nope. nope."

My first pick is still Ayesha Altugle.  Having someone so kind-hearted and upbeat around sounds pleasant.  I know it's not the in thing on the internet but I would like to develop those traits in myself so would hope some would rub off.  Her knowledge of plants and herbal medicine comes off as another plus for dealing with injuries and as another income source.  Would need to keep the cauldron far enough from the living spaces.  There's also the factor of sharing the bathroom; it's not all glamorous.  Would probably be better to hide my cosplay stuff too.

Random thoughts on a few other characters:
Barret - On top of what Pyro said, there's also his very loud snoring and the probability of finding bullet holes in the house as a result of his temper.
Relm - The painting thing is a coinflip for me, she may be very neat with her art supplies.  It her likelihood of threatening to paint people's portraits to get her way that really has me going "oh, hell no." to sharing living space with her.
Setzer - Nope.  His gambling tendencies would cause aggravation very fast.  I can totally picture him using a wager to weasel out of paying his share of the living costs.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »
I imagine Ward to actually be pretty decent. He did work as Janitor and cleans up after Laguna's messes - that's a good indication that he can help take care of unexpected things around the house. Looking through some other games -

FFX: Auron/Yuna are "No" just because of the fame attached to them. I'd have some issues on some of Tidus' behavior, and he could also be considered "way too famous" to associate with, depending on which timeline/frame we're looking at. Rikku's a bit too eccentric, but Wakka/Lulu wouldn't be bad at all. Yeah, yeah Wakka has his bigotry moments but assuming end game Wakka who has mellowed out, he should be fine. Kim's kind of a No because having a giant talking walking blue lion thing as a roommate is pretty intimidating!

Shadow Hearts series: I've already gone over Yuri. Karin wouldn't actually be bad, neither would Kurando, Ricardo or Natan. Joachim, Frank and Gepetto are no for obvious reasons. Ana is royalty and not even in her teens - that screams like a bad pairing. Also, her personality would  definitely take some adjusting to. Blanca is Blanca. Hilda/Keith - I'm not sure. The Valentines in general are *weird* and they sleep for like thousands of years (sans Jo maybe), so hey, you get the space all to yourself! But then you know, when they are awake, they are pretty nutso. Trade-offs.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »
NOT KIRYU YOU'LL DIEEEEEE

I mean, I guess on the positive side of things, your death will be dramatic and really propel the plot?  Downside: you'll be dead, and it'll probably be pretty greusome to boot.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:29:27 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »
Best option...maybe Tir?  Because then you'll get to live in a cool castle with all sorts of crazy amenities, and he's not too loud either.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 11:39:51 PM »
hrmn.  Thinking about PS4 because i'm comparably familiar with the characters.

Best possibilities would be Hahn or Kyra.  Hahn, being what is essentially a researcher or grad student, would very much be reasonable on the roommate front, though chances are it'd be a permanent arrangement until he marries Saya.  Kyra is perhaps a bit impulsive, but otherwise personable and probably would be fine.

Demi would also be good, but I don't know the weight of PS androids and may have to consider the structural tolerance of where I'm living, alongside the fact that being the direct control to Nurvus, while indeed an *important* job, isn't one that pays money, even if i would save on food.  Wren has the same problems, only moreso, and...isn't really meant to interact with people much.  Also he's more visibly a robot and that'd get looks.  And probably the government.

Alys would be pretty good as well (assuming this is pre-game and she's not dead), and she'd easily help pay the bills, but...I get the feeling the sort of work she'd get into would probably invite trouble, or end up with her at her endgame state.

Chaz is a teenager.  I guess he'd be fine at end-of-game, but start-of-game Chaz would probably be a pain in the ass.  Rune...not sure, but I don't think he'd help too much outside of paying rent, and there's a good chance he'd be a jerk.  Gryz is too attached to his little sister and probably wouldn't be happy with the arrangement (also good luck with all the questions), Raja is a pile of hell no (if I wanted an old man to tell me bad jokes 24/7, I have my father for that), and I don't know where to start on the issues that'd likely come with Rika being a housemate.

...but at least none of them are Seth.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:41:58 PM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »
Jennifer from Disgaea. She's the perfect assistant! And super-smart and surprisingly keen at emotional intelligence too. I mean, you might have to deal with Military Types showing up now and again though. She builds robots. That could be cool. Hopefully should wouldn't do it in the apartment though. Probably a fire hazard.

Possibly a pro, but likely a con: You would get the chance to meet Captain Gordon DEFENDER OF EARTH. I imagine he'd be great in small doses in real life, but definitely too much to be roommate material.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 04:13:19 AM »
When I was watching an LP of FFX, I liked Tidus' optimism.  His emotional baggage makes me highly wary though so not a top pick.

Aerith (when she's living) I don't know.  I picture she has this mischievous streak that would result in being roped into something embarrassing for her amusement.  I guess I could handle that but wouldn't be happy if I learned she'd be staying around for a longer term.

Random thoughts on Grandia 2 PCs

Ryudo: First instinct is no way but looking a bit deeper he's not terrible.  Not exactly Mr. Amiable but I suppose he'd treat the living arrangement as a transaction and clean up after himself.  Skye snarking at Ryudo's expense would provide some entertainment.  In a way, he's a polar opposite of Yuri: terrible to hang around in a social setting but OK as someone to share living space with.

Elena: Granas this and Granas that would get on my nerves fast.  Her genuine kindness and willingness to help those in need is a positive.  Unless she gets carried away, which is admittedly likely.  Ending Elena is a far more attractive option as the major annoyance factor is gone and she keeps all her positive traits.

Millenia: Nope.  Her antics are entertaining as a spectator but not so fun in person.  She seems very likely to skip out of doing her share of housework/living expenses out of boredom or some other excuse.  I'm not Ryudo or a cute kid so she's not likely to show her soft side either.

Will get to others later.