Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2016 Season 1 Week 4  (Read 1044 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2016 Season 1 Week 4
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:16:23 AM »
Godlike

Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) vs Defender X (Final Fantasy X)
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Jade (Breath of Fire)

Heavy

Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default) vs Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)
Geddoe (Suikoden III) vs Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon) vs Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII)
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon)

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II) vs White Wizard (Final Fantasy)
Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom) vs Umaro (Final Fantasy VI)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2016 Season 1 Week 4
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default) vs Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon) vs Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII) - so it goes
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) - Faster, right damage type.  Dragoon defenses buy Albert a turn but he has no way to use that to actually, y'know, win.

Light

Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom) vs Umaro (Final Fantasy VI) - Probably right to me.  Close though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:03:38 AM by Random Consonant »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:32:28 PM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Jade (Breath of Fire)- Need to figure out much I respect Jade's HP. Abstain

Heavy

Geddoe (Suikoden III) vs Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- Alena vs Geddoe remix. Geddoe is too physically durable and damaging to get blitzed down.

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II) vs White Wizard (Final Fantasy)- Kahn gets owned so badly by healing
Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom) vs Umaro (Final Fantasy VI)- Think so. Umaro's faster but Aguro's more damaging.  They're pretty close in a physical slugfest otherwise,  feel like tiebreaking against Umaro for randomness seems fair. Aguro is hard to slug down in Light unless you have status or are a mage.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »
Godlike

Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) vs Defender X (Final Fantasy X): Defender X may need one less hit to win, but speed becomes a thing. I'm even inclined to see Blast Punch's delay working (if not its damage) but that's nowhere near enough.
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Jade (Breath of Fire): Lady generally gets spoiled by really high durability because her damage turns into "normal Godlike levels" once her stock has been fired.

Heavy

Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default) vs Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis): Tony needs... 6 attacks to kill, maybe 7. Ominas kills in 4 hits at most, and with a finisher brave that means he only needs to get 3 turns. He's getting those.
Geddoe (Suikoden III) vs Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening): Hammer of Raijin is a OHKO, and I don't view Say'ri as dodging turn 1.

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon) vs Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII): If Barret comes in with a L!, he gets 2HKOed so yeah no. (Unless you want to hype Mindblow forcing Typhlosion to use STRUGGLE... yeah, don't do this. Even Quick Attack lets him win.) So he comes in with a L2, which he gets at 57% damage taken to me. Typhlosion does... 56.4% to Barret. But surely Barret can drop his MDef... nope, apparently not, not a single one of his weapons affects Spirit, and of course FF7 armour MDef is bugged. Starting limit gauge should give this to Barret, though.
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon): Faster, hits the right defence.

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II) vs White Wizard (Final Fantasy): Kahn's physical does 44% and Charm Arrow does just over 50%. (2 shots) WW is faster. Kahn doesn't want to start out with magic for a variety of reasons, so WW spends the first two turns buffing evade. If both physicals have hit, she then heals. She then buffs evade once more. At this point, surely one of two attacks have missed, at least, so twice more, then heals again. Kahn can force her to heal one more time with his first Charm Arrow, but that's it, and WW has four shots of Cure 4. He then has a bunch of shots of L1 but yeah lower-level healing does for those.

Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom) vs Umaro (Final Fantasy VI): I will note that if you allow Umaro to use both his accessories with no penalty, he beats Aguro fairly cleanly. He has a high 4HKO to average which becomes a lower 4HKO against Aguro's HP, and no way does Aguro 3HKO him back. However, if you make Umaro take a stat hit to use his unique accessories, he could be in some trouble. He needs at least one of the accessories to still 4HKO. So it really depends what sort of hit you apply and exactly where you see Aguro's speed (Lufia 1 stat topic doesn't list SDs, not calculating that myself).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 06:16:03 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:46:41 AM »

Heavy

Flip a coin, except it's a rigged one.

Middle

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II) vs White Wizard (Final Fantasy) - Evade buffing, sure.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon) vs Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII)- Abstain. No Hammerblow respect (god, that moves needed to be MT for me to give it any worth), but MP killing credit is a go. But I'm open to it not killing Typh worst physical.

Light

...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 03:56:34 PM »
FF7 enemies do not use MP for their physical techs (nor for that matter, their non-typed buffs and status attacks which aren't already part of a magical skillset, for all that this isn't relevant here). Don't really see a good reason that it would hit Typhlosion's.

I'm not terribly inclined to see MP busting working on Pokemon in general, skill charges aren't MP. If I did... one possibility would be to treat it the way PP busts work in Pokemon, and only target the PP supply of the move the opponent used last. There is no attack or effect in Pokemon which can simultaneously attack the PP supply of multiple moves at once, which is what you tend to hype MP busting doing to them.

Most MP busts are pretty junky in their home games (Mindblow certainly included, though it's the boss versions I often find more egregious as MP restoration is laughably easy in Chrono Trigger, Shadow Hearts 2, etc.) and I see little reason to make them even better in the DL than they already are.

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 02:00:27 AM »
Oh, if MP busting is shit in game, then I don't give it a lot of credit (SH 2/3 and FFX MP busting has no DL effect to me).
...into the nightfall.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:58 AM »
I will note that when it comes to boss MP damage though, the problem with discrediting just that is that there are a lot of boss moves that suck in game but are better in the DL. Status and ST damage are both notable categories for that. If you tried to balance everything that would make sense, but I wouldn't just look at MP damage without weighing the other stuff.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 02:15:42 AM »
Well ST MP damage in those games is even more useless than the rest! Damage adds up and can kill you, same with ST status. They'd, more pertinently, also be good against a solo in-game, in many cases, which is how we tend to judge DL matches.

Regardless, my argument wasn't "stop Garan/Zeal from being able to bust MP because those moves are useless", it's "don't make shaky judgement calls for those moves". Letting them hit four separate pools at once (or even three) and forcing the target to use Tackle/Struggle certainly qualifies!

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 08:56:08 AM »
As a point of order, FF7 PC MP busting actually is stupidly good to a degree that I think was a design balance mistake, since it entirely trivializes certain bosses that are quite dangerous without it (Schizo most famously?).  So while I'd be fine with making a judgment call against a boss, Barret probably deserves a bit more respect on this point.  (I'd certainly assume Mindblow 0'd out all the attacks based on PKMN Special & maybe buffs / healing / things that usually cost MP in FF7, for one.  But per Elf's earlier comment, it probably wouldn't do anything to 'physical' based Pokemon moves.)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »
Mindblow does not work on Schizo, as he immunes gravity!

Magic Hammer does, granted, and is effective against Schizo the pure mage, yes (although it does take four uses to drain each head).

Maybe.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 11:25:45 PM »
Rapps is the one boss I've usually seen mentioned for Mindblow use in-game, since it completely negates Aero 3 and you have no materia for that fight.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 05:20:27 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom) vs Umaro (Final Fantasy VI)- no vote

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 05:25:08 AM »
Godlike

Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)- iiiii vs Defender X (Final Fantasy X)
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)- i vs Jade (Breath of Fire)- iiii

Heavy

Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default)- iiii vs Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)
Geddoe (Suikoden III)- iiiiiiii vs Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon)- ii vs Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII)- iii
Stocke (Radiant Historia)- iiiiiii vs Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon)

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II) vs White Wizard (Final Fantasy)- iiiiiiii
Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)- ii vs Umaro (Final Fantasy VI)- i