Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 107802 times)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2016, 05:50:17 AM »
Tide, since you have finish the game, do you want to heard things you might or might want to know about the game from me?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2016, 05:54:04 AM »
As you noted already, SH2 - if you hit your judgment rings all the time - is balanced on the easy side, so I'm not sure if I'm going to hit Kurando for being TOO FAST so that he can't use Lucia's buff on turn 1.  It's okay, SHC enemies will generally let Kurando live to turn 2 so that he can use Lucia's buff then.

I don't think Kurando surviving until turn 2 is the problem.  More like the enemies can't.  If you wait for his second turn the enemies might get a turn and what are you shit at video games :O?  get fucking good scrub
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2016, 06:02:47 AM »
Yeah, Tide is just speaking of character balance in an incredibly optimised method of play sense. Which.... honestly is fine, since if it's an easy game then character differences don't actually matter, so might as well talk about in-game use from that perspective if you're going to talk about it at all.

When I replayed the game with a better eye for these things I kinda realised Kurando actually wasn't very good but Tide has actually thought about it more than me and basically confirmed my suspicions. (To be clear, he's nowhere near bad enough that you can't use him if you like him, but if I were choosing a a party based on people I liked, he wouldn't be in that either...)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:06:57 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »
Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes:  Beat Galactic War for the first time.  Finishing in the top 50 in squad arena consistently, not quite up to top 20 powah yet.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »
Shadow Hearts 2 difficulty is all about getting the highest rank
Mind Eye worst item confirmed

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
Shadow Hearts 2 difficulty is all about getting the highest rank

Highest Rank is easy.  Just Gamble Ring an Eternal Key with Yuri's first weapon on Kato.

Bam, instant 10000-Hit combo to shoot your rank up like crazy.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
"Easy"

Also doing it with Yuri instead of Gepetto.

Doing it wrong.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
Tide, I definitely think Shadow Hearts: Covenant was balanced around it being okay to screw up the Judgment Ring a lot and still succeed.  Which is fine by me; if you want to show off your Judgment Ring skillz, there's Technical Rings & Minds Eye & all, but otherwise, no need to condition being good at the Judgment Ring too heavily on being able to complete the game.  I had a pretty good fight with the final boss myself when I did it sans side quests, I certainly wasn't even close to OHKOing everything, but that was also no Keys / Mind's Eye / etc.  I'm not a super-huge Judgment Ring fanatic myself so I'd rather the RPG aspect be more challenging, not the memorizing invisible hit zones part be more challenging. :)  Still, Lady w/ no sidequests >>> Kato w/ no sidequests, that isn't up for debate.

Oh, that's definitely the case. There was an interview I read somewhere (Shadow Hearts wiki?) that mentioned that the designers got complains about the ring in SH1 so they wanted to tone down the ring elements in SH2. They added the Hit and Strike expands as a result. It wouldn't surprise me that that decision is also why the strike zones are a mile wide and all the broken gets given to you like candy. In terms of learning invisible rings, you only really need to learn 1 to break the game and the best (and EASIEST) person for this is Yuri. This is just due to the position of his ring being near one of the indicators on SH2's ring art. From there you just stack like all the Strike expands to make it the hardest thing in the world to miss. It's much more reasonable to do this than in SH3 where the custom ring items were a) much rarer and b) if you were using the magic version, you had to memorize rings for all the different spells, which is many more than one.

As you noted already, SH2 - if you hit your judgment rings all the time - is balanced on the easy side, so I'm not sure if I'm going to hit Kurando for being TOO FAST so that he can't use Lucia's buff on turn 1.  It's okay, SHC enemies will generally let Kurando live to turn 2 so that he can use Lucia's buff then.

To be fair to Kurando, being too fast isn't his primary problem. Blanca is usually too fast as well. The way to circumvent this is pretty simple. You can either use Seal of Speeds on Lucia (which is what I did) or you can keep Kurando at a lower level so his speed doesn't end up being as high. Being fast is a concern but one that you can manage due to manipulating speeds with recharge times. However, Blanca being able to equip Crest spells is where he has a huge advantage over Kurando because he can open off with a secondary buff such as Arc Shield/Barrier/Surge and wait for Lucia before casting the big guns such as Rage/Gale/Entrance. Meanwhile, Kurando goes first and does uh...jack. I guess he can hit some dude for a piddly 500 damage, but that's chump change when everyone else is doing 4 digits. Optimally, you want to be fast enough such that you can sneak a second turn in BEFORE Lucia's second turn. That way you get the strike booster for an extra turn but this requires some hefty speed manipulation (which I did accomplish >_>) so I don't hold that against Kurando.

Also what Grefter said. But less 'git gud' and more just SH2 enemies have piss poor HP so they get one shot'd without much effort.

Tide, since you have finish the game, do you want to heard things you might or might want to know about the game from me?

Sure, go ahead. I don't think it's a spoiler for anyone at this point. And if it is, SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE, etc.

Pls Fenrir. Mind's Eye, what is this baby garbage. I just use the Extreme

Incidentally, I never understood how that score system worked or what you get points for. Like I did the same things as I did in Shadow Hearts FtNW and I am rank like 21 versus just a rank of like 60 here. I heard, at least for SH3, that you can get a higher score by just grindan the randoms, which seems like a pretty silly scale if you ask me!

Also checking the ring data, I have an overall strike rate of about 77%, with most characters around that area, except Anastasia and Kurando. Anastasia is at 90%, Kurando, 43%. Kurando confirmed having the most garbage ring.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:30:42 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
Sherlock Holmes - Consulting Detective: You have a case, a ton of awesome props, and more text than you could shake a stick at. Not really a game proper so much as an interactive mystery solving adventure.

Ash, me, and two of our other friends proved what excellent investigators we were by following up on some leads, getting stuck, and then someone going "Maybe we should visit the crime scene?" Also had a legendary moment where we circled something on the map but no one remembered WHY we did it and we had to re-investigate.

Basically, I'd watch a procedural crime drama starring us, because it'd be hilarious.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 02, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »
Sherlock Holmes is good times.  I love the newspapers, which are 97% bullshit, 2% red herrings, and 1% something random that Sherlock Holmes really would zero in on as 'obviously' relevant.

As a heads-up warning, there is some player-created errata to case 3 you might want to download & print out before playing it.  (also case 3 is, like, the weakest case, by a lot.  when translating it from the French, the new release used the original English as their guide, but missed some of the changes the French version stuck in intentionally...  and case 3 was the most heavily-changed around case, so some of the clues are even weirder / more misleading than they are with the errata based on the French.  Also don't get too stuck on case 3 anyway, as part of it basically makes no sense.)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 02, 2016, 10:42:21 PM »
Yeah, I'd heard Case 3 required errata. That's pretty disappointing. Everything else is generally good, though? I've been a bit worried about trying to figure out if there was more necessary errata while avoiding spoilers.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:50 PM »
It's just Case 3 to my knowledge.  There's allegedly various other typos lurking about but it's usually not a big deal.

And to be clear, Case 3 is fine and fun to play!  ...half of it.  Just stop after you solve that half, though, because if you expect it possible to find a sensible answer for the other half, you are out of luck.  If you want a less cryptic but still hopefully non-spoilerish version: (You should be able to figure out who the Society Burglar is, the Burglar's modus operandi, and someone who is very clearly *involved* in the murder.  If you want to find a sensible motive for the murderer it isn't there.  And the murderer's identity is even changed for the better from the French version, which was even *more* nonsensical.)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 02, 2016, 10:59:42 PM »
Basically, I'd watch a procedural crime drama starring us, because it'd be hilarious.

I would watch as long as you are a scotty dog in a tartan vest.  It can be a sequel.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 03, 2016, 05:45:23 AM »
Sure, go ahead. I don't think it's a spoiler for anyone at this point. And if it is, SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE, etc.

It's concerning the ending.
The two ending is about Yuri's choice on to die or to live. The biggest threat that the Holy Mistletoe poses to Yuri is that it'll wipe his memory = wiping his love to Alice. Being the person who loves and has been loved by Alice is the most important factor of his identity, and he is pretty much choosing between that and his life.

The good end is where he choose to die so he can die as the same person he is, but his lingering wish sent him to the past.
The bad end is he choose his life over his memory and gets reset back to blank state.

And the truth is he actually already made up his mind to die when he met Alice again on the train.

But the game didn't dig far enough into what Alice is thinking due to she being dead, and the ending is pretty incomplete without her perspective.

From Alice's POV, Yuri will not lose his love in either outcome, and she'll honor either of his choice.
If Yuri choose death to protect his memory, completely acceptable to her. She had risked her own life for her love, so she'll respect his decision to do the same for the same love she tried to protect.
If Yuri choose his life over his memory? Completely fine as well, because she already has his love, and their love will remain eternal with her. So even if the Holy Mistletoe wiped Yuri clean, it still ultimately took away nothing. Yuri's identity will still be affirmed through her.

The context under goes certain amount of change once Alice's perspective is put into this by removing Yuri's risk of self identity from the equation.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 03, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »
On completely unrelated note, with the above perspective, I can't help but to see some parallels between Yuri and Virgil on their view on love.
Especially both their women has the exact same attitude toward their men.
And it is almost funny to see Yuri unintentionally got what Virgil wants.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:33:27 AM by Niu »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 04, 2016, 12:24:44 AM »
Mass Effect 3 – I’ve mostly been piddling around, I did the first main story mission once you finish with Mars and got Garrus in my party. I’ve been doing Aria’s dirty work in the Citadel (because’s she’s my gal and will give me sweet sweet war assets), and I also did a mission to save Jack and her students from the dirty Cerberus jerks. I had to choose to break off my relationship with space babe in order to continue to bang Garrus because I’m not that kinda gal.

I think my next main mission is to try to diplomatize with the salarians, turians, and krogan. Sounds like a treat, with the two races that are proxies for male violence and the bug people.

Engineer has been enjoyable because fire makes the world burn and a personal army of robots is pretty rad, but that Jack mission was a pain in the ass. I did get to gun down dudes with the weird mech though. Jack seems as balanced and stable as ever.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 04, 2016, 01:47:45 AM »
Two brands of toxic masculinity butting heads while STEMlords manipulate from the sidelines.  Its gross dudebros all the way down.  (For what it is worth on this one, the Turians come off pretty decent in modern times.  They really try to work at it.)

I am kind of fond of Jack going through a bit of a redemption arc.  She is one more point of articulation where I think the story really turns back on Sexy Renegade Rockstar and wants you to be Paragon.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 04, 2016, 05:27:20 AM »
Mass Effect 3 has a lot of points where they seem to go out of your way to show that if you make a point of being a jackass, then yeah, bad shit will go down.  If Wrex is alive, the stuff on Tuchanka really hammers this home.  It's not like ME2 where Renegade is as viable as Paragon for getting through things.

So, Suikoden 1, because I've been feeling an itch to replay it.  Tir is still as awesome as ever, and it's nice that this game that makes 100% ID on the main character effectively a selling point is happy to not only make enemies that are big, nasty, and rough to kill, but that are vulnerable to this speedy guy with Deadly Fingertips.  Heck, even when you don't have that one enemy, it's still nice to have DF because it can prune down numbers in what might be an otherwise rough fight.  And the levelling system does a good job of making those charges feel worthwhile because those first fights will get you most of your levels, and levels matter for how quickly you can end fights.

Of course...  the game is also suffering from forced party members.  You remember the scourge, but it's another thing to have to go through it again.  Gremio is forced (with the exception of the trip to recruit Flik), from the start of the game until his death.  Viktor has been forced almost as much.  And there's that lovely moment when your entire party is forced (though, fortunately, that's a very short moment).  If it weren't for this, and Gremio's general horribleness (wait...  no Lv3 spell charges at Lv32?  Only 1 Lv2 spell charge?!) it would be a lot easier to react appropriately to his death.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »
It is the games way of going "fuck it equip the Holy Rune here".

ME2, Renegade is flat out better than Paragon to the point where I am certain it is deliberate.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2016, 08:02:07 AM »
Sure, but by the time you have Gaspar and his infinite cash you also have Viki and the Blinking Mirror.  And the only dungeon in that arc is Sonierre.  I just slapped a Hazy Rune on him because I had it early and it's not like I'll ever miss the thing.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »
Holy Rune drops can happen really early on from trash mobs, so you can equip it on Trash PCs and not care.  I don't mean True Holy Rune.  Just Gremio fuck off and let me run in dungeons and town.  It is the most useful thing you and Viktor will do.  It is a god send in Neclord's castle.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:53 PM »
Yeah, Viktor typically clones it up because then he can alternate between guaranteeing a hit and popping healing off on people without wasting attack rounds.  I mean, guy has a good attack and is great at punching through high defenses, if he can hit.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2016, 10:43:07 PM »
I would still rather sprint than fuck around with Suiko 1 inventory.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2016, 06:41:55 AM »
Blood Bowl 2

Introducing the Royal Perennial Guard of Darien Luc, the newest Bretonnian team to hit the pitch.

---Roster---

Rerolls: 3

Knight Blitzers: Sopko the Brotherly, Grefter the Fashionable, Alex the Erudite.

Yeoman Guards: Camder King, Miki the Contrary, Acrin the Sage

Filthy Peasants: Unlucky Aiel, Dirty Zenethor, Foolhardy Snow, Magey the Untalented

The Honorable Dead: Yeoman Neb the Educated

Game 1: vs The Woodland Bears (Wood Elves) - Defeat 0-3

Not a promising start to the career of The Royal Perennial Guard. While their initial drive was promising, Sopko the Fashionable led his cage a little close to the edge of the pitch. This resulted in a little unfortunate jostling that would, alas, end the career Neb the Educated. Also his life. Being pushed out into the spectators allows eager fans to get a little too close and apply their own boots in the interest of making sure their wagers are properly paid out.

Still, Sopko the Fashionable made a gallant attempt, most fitting of a Knight of the Realm, completing two passes, including one while completely surrounded by those heathen forest elves.

No other performances were particularly notable, aside from Dirty Zenethor, who spent most of the match facedown in the grass and napping. He will be appropriately flogged during training.

The team is now down a Yeoman, which is awkward as he will most likely have to be temporarily replaced with another filthy peasant.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:08:00 AM by AndrewRogue »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2016, 08:43:26 AM »
No other performances were particularly notable, aside from Dirty Zenethor, who spent most of the match facedown in the grass and napping. He will be appropriately flogged during training.

Is that supposed to be a punishment? <3