Author Topic: DLC next year?  (Read 8230 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
DLC next year?
« on: November 22, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »
See the topic title. There wasn't much talk about this at the con, and I haven't been around tons in chat to see if it's come up there. Anyone have ideas on where to have it next year?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: DLC next year?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 01:43:44 AM »
Ah yes, it is about that time of the year again.

I'm still down for DLC Vegas.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:41:57 AM »
DLC Japan!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 05:40:56 AM »
Ah yes, it is about that time of the year again.

I'm still down for DLC Vegas.

Las Vegas? Why?
That place is hot and expensive.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 05:44:23 AM »
I think the main argument for Las Vegas is that flights to it are relatively cheap from many places?

Because as a city there's no place in the US I'd less rather visit. I'd also be a bit leery about holding a DLCon in a place where nobody is local.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
Also more amenable venues in some volume from my understanding of it in past discussions?  Ameliorate some risk there for host/organizers in a place that caters to the kinds of things we do.

Not to mention it is just a bit different (as much as I love San Francisco and hanging around Jersey/NYC, change can be fun and interesting).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
I personally won't attend a DLC Vegas, but I will put on the table DLC here in Vancouver.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
I would prefer an east coast con myself. I can help host in NoVA but can't actually physically host, as I'm renting a room.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »
Canadian DLC would be rad. Or at least a Mini meet
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
I could probably host, but I live in the suburbs outside of Boston, an hour's drive from the airport (not counting rush hour) and there's nothing in walking distance from my house.  Would need an extra driver or two to manage.  So I'm not sure if there would be interest in that, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Plus side: lots of space, we have a dozen or so futons and the like, and Massachusetts is lovely in the summer.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:47:07 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
DLCBC would make me go do some financing quick smart obviously.

bunch of fucking nerdlingers rolling up on some shakespeare would be rad. Going with Snowfire was pretty great.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 02:56:02 AM »
From what I remember the plusses to Vegas, apart from the cheap flights, is that while the city/Strip itself is expensive, renting a house just outside the city is cheap. The place IS convention capital of the US, so it has a rental infrastructure to support something as small as us. We don't do a ton of touristy stuff, so most of the time for everyone is spent at the house anyway. If it's an option that limits the prices of the flights and house for everyone, who cares what's around it or where it is?  Only added expense thing I can think of is car rental, maybe.

I would want to double-check the numbers on Vegas to make sure these claims are accurate though. But the irrational rejection of it out of hand is a little confusing.

Though yes. It would be hot. We were also in Texas in midsummer though, nothing we haven't experienced. The local knowledge angle is about the only angle that holds water to me, if the numbers are correct.

Jim's house is also an option, and I have my passport so Vancouver is also not a bad option but I'd have to check flight prices

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 05:31:48 AM »
New work position means that I am very unlikely to make a DLCon that is not based in BC. However, I can totally make a DLCBC!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 05:51:30 AM »
To steal info I only know from Ciatos and Elves, if you are checking prices for travel to BC then flying in to Seattle and getting a bus up to Vancouver ends up cheaper often.   The busses are regular, make Customs quite simple and Seattle -> Vancouver is pretty short.  They terminate at convenient locations.

Public transport in Vancouver is also amazing.  There is trains straight from the Airport to the city(and the inner suburbs!). Once in the regular infrastructure trains, trams and busses are very regular and run very late. 

It is good enough that even as not a local I would be confident in getting to and from airport to help ferry people from previous visits.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 12:18:42 PM »
I'd love to do Vegas, but not at a DLC. That's something to do with a small group of friends and a bigger budget than I'd set for DLC.

I could probably host, but I live in the suburbs outside of Boston, an hour's drive from the airport (not counting rush hour) and there's nothing in walking distance from my house.  Would need an extra driver or two to manage.  So I'm not sure if there would be interest in that, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Plus side: lots of space, we have a dozen or so futons and the like, and Massachusetts is lovely in the summer.

I'd be willing to get a rental and help with that if it's done up in your neck of the woods.  The decentralized location's a bit tough, but at least it'd be cooler(weather wise) than Vegas.
-------------------

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »
I am overstating a little bit how bad the driving is - it's half an hour to the dropoff point to the Boston subway, which takes you directly to the airport.  So with planning it is not super bad.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
I slightly prefer a Vancouver con mostly because my parents live up near Seattle and it's handy to wrap in a visit with that trip. But I've never been to Boston, so that's cool too.

I think I am recovered from the driving rage of previous cons so I could possibly volunteer for that. Maybe. Though NE traffic might make me never drive again.

--

What other people said about Vegas is pretty much it. There are a number of houses in the ~$110 per person for the entire stay range. I also like Vegas -- even as someone who does not club, drink, smoke, drugs, gamble, etc. -- and some day intend to actually go to a show there.

And it may be hot, but it's dry heat, which is infinitely better than the humid heat ridiculousness that comes from summer in Texas.

I'm not going to campaign for it. It's just a thought I throw out when no one else suggests something.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 02:46:04 AM »
I'm down for Vancouvercon. Jimcon is also something I could easily do. Really...I can manage just about anywhere, but would rather not vegas. I'll go if that's where it ends up, but I'd rather not.

Of course I can't drive, so I can't really help with a whole lot besides getting myself to-from somewhere. Also depending on his own funds, Kier may come with me wherever we have it.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 05:11:37 AM »
Oooh, Vancouver con sounds fun! I've never spent any time in Canada and I always hear about how nice the weather is there in the summer. It's also significantly closer to Japan than the other options, so it'd be easing the burden on my budget.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:13 AM »
I would also favor Vancouver over Boston, but I'm fine with either.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »
My thoughts on a Vancouvercon should be sufficiently obvious.  That said, I will look into being able to go if other locations are selected.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
If held late enough in the year, I may well be able to attend next year. Doubt it though, since I'm not likely to be back stateside until mid August. Still, if my say matters at all Vancouver con would be preferential to Boston Con. I may well be making a West Coast trip after I get back anyway to visit college buddies.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
I have a strong preference for Boston because it would be much, much cheaper for me, and also I have a bunch of other people in the area I can visit.

I'd be OK with Vancouver, but it might make budgeting a lot trickier, especially given my recent history of being unable to put a string of money together.

Honestly, Vegas is probably the last place I want DLC, mostly because I would feel crushing disappointment regardless of if I chose to spend the time with you guys, say fuck it and dink around at Poker tables, or any mixture of the two.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 09:39:15 PM »
I have a strong preference for Boston because it would be much, much cheaper for me, and also I have a bunch of other people in the area I can visit.

I'd be OK with Vancouver, but it might make budgeting a lot trickier, especially given my recent history of being unable to put a string of money together.

Honestly, Vegas is probably the last place I want DLC, mostly because I would feel crushing disappointment regardless of if I chose to spend the time with you guys, say fuck it and dink around at Poker tables, or any mixture of the two.

The answer would be to do both.  Drink Super under the table while you win all his money when he goes all in every game with his straight flush down the toilet hand of 2 of hearts 3 of clubs and the flop is a 9 of diamonds, jack of hearts and a 6 of spades.

Then stay an extra week and end up married to Kappa.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 10:35:43 PM »
Wouldn't take a week.

RE: Driving in the Boston area, let me elaborate a bit on what would be involved.  Two things are to be avoided around Boston: actually driving into the city, and being on a highway at rush hour.  If you can manage that, the driving is fine.  The former can be avoided; the latter would depend on flights and the like.  For day trips into the city, the right answer is always to drive to Alewife station in Cambridge (about a half hour form my house) and get on the subway.  Boston is a small city, and you can get everywhere you would want to go on public transit without much fuss.  For people coming to/from the airport, there are two options: drive directly to Logan, or drive to Alewife and take the subway to/from Logan.  Logan, regrettably, is a difficult airport to find your way around in a car.  Not something I would want to subject guests to our lovely state to if it can be avoided, so I would try to avoid anyone else having to drive there if possible.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:53:36 PM by NotMiki »