Author Topic: RPGDL Season 2 Finals  (Read 863 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL Season 2 Finals
« on: September 29, 2015, 05:57:35 AM »
Godlike

Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier)

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI)

Middle

Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia)

Light

Yushis (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)

No rankings this season.

Also I forgot to get data mine stuff last week... and on reflection couldn't think of anything myself so uh we'll get it next time. 
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL Season 2 Finals
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:06:11 AM »
Godlike

Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier): Yeah no.

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI): Gau can afford to dump every last point of durability into speed here, and I have to think he's faster if he does. Neither of these are duellers I'd have pegged as champs, but this wasn't a terribly strong field.

Middle

Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia): I think so? They're both dead average speed, and Henry is even fairly average on threat range. (I forget if 8 is above or below average, but it should be close regardless.) If Raynie goes first she doubles with Sleep Break so surely one of the two will land. If Henry goes first he can try for an opening Waste and then win on the counter... unless Sleep Break lands turn 1. Which it certainly might. Odds seem to favour Raynie. Unless Henry can actually survive a sleep-blitz due to Tomebreaker? Nah probably not.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI) - pass

Middle

Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia) - Yeah probably.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:12:55 PM »
Upgrade pools!
Avalon, Heat, Athos, Arc, Gau, Kiryl
Fang, Dart, Kuja, Poco,  Raynie, Henry
Rand, Ricardo, Forde, Mishaela, Yushis, Lily

Godlike

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI)- Kiryl needs to go first and have ID hit turn one to win, I don't think he gets both judgement calls from me. And re Gau: He is (Annoyingly) good if you give him all rages, he was always more held back by popular backlash and antipathy than anything else in the DL. Cristo yeah, he's a competent heavy but not champ level.

Light

Yushis (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)- Not close. Yushis does bad things to Light level mages, even good ones like Lily.

H/G:

Avalon>Heat>Athos>Arc=Gau=Kiryl

Top three feel pretty obvious. Heat might beat Avalon but it doesn't matter. Arc beats Gau beats Kiryl beats Arc.

M/H:

...Good gods, this is sad.  Abstaining on Henry here for now.

Fang>Poco>Kuja>Dart

Fang is just better than the rest of the field by a hell of a lot. Poco does not fear puny Kuja offense and has the Mdef and healing to survive a long fight. Kuja beats Dart because he goes first and the whole Dart is kinda garbage thing.  Dart is a middle and not an amazing one at that.

Rand, Ricardo, Forde, Mishaela, Yushis, Lily

This field requires a lot of thought.  Will come back to this later today.

Rand: 3-2 (Loss: Mishaela, Forde)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:23:26 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »
Yeah full-rages Gau is a really, really good Heavy, not sure why that'd be surprising he wins.  I remember the RPGMon mini-tourney, and Gau was picked by somebody as their main Heavy when they had full choice of all Heavy PCs of the time (Unoriginal?  Random?), and he was insanely, frustratingly good.  Like, even characters that theoretically 'spoil' him often don't, e.g. Millenia's burst combo isn't even enough to finish the job vs. his defense.  Even better in RPGMon where a 50% win-the-fight status check can happen on turn 1 rather than being "turn 2" by some interps of course.

Anyway gonna abstain as usual on Gau myself.

Middle

For super's pools...
Henry should get wrecked by Fang (just plain double and win), probably wrecked by Kuja (Reflect has a good argument to work here at least, Kuja might outslug anyway), but Dart...  Dart is slightly below average speed but still doubles Henry.  So...  4x Waste is go?  Yeah Dart's MDur is weirdly good according to the topic but probably still not good enough.  No idea about Poco.

Ricardo seems like he'd really struggle against Forde of the spammable slightly below average damage.  A stall strat won't work; aside from Killer Lance threats, his healing is just too crappy, he isn't gaining the double turns fast enough I suspect.  That said if he just goes aggro with Gale -> 4x Fated Days Ends I think he's fine (or 3x FDEs if you don't see Gale letting Ricardo double, that's probably fine too as long as the lag isn't too bad).  Should probably destroy Yushis no problem though.

Forde should outrace Yushis.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 01:54:10 AM »
Millenia's Grudging Claws deals non-elemental magic damage so she has no trouble with Gau. Past that, there are a host of ways to beat him... faster turn 1 status (sleep/stop/ID anyway), faster 2HKO or elemental OHKO, ID immunity + faster 3HKO or slower 2HKO. He went 4-4 in actual DL Heavy proper and he was never robbed (for certain interpretations of Diekbeck anyway? Not too familiar with him), though to be fair a couple of people who beat him (Luca, certain interpretations of Diekbeck) may be too good for Heavy, granted. We've had weaker Heavy champions, but it's still somewhat surprising I think.

Agreed that he's better in RPGmon, as there he usually didn't have to face bosses, who have more of the things he hates (HP-1, non-elemental magic) and of course his status is better as mentioned.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 05:22:00 AM »
All I can say is that with the calls the ref made, Millenia didn't even get *close* to scratching Gau during SBE.  Maybe we thought Claws were physical?  (I'd certainly kneejerk them to be, SP move & all.)  I forget.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:41:57 AM by SnowFire »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:42:00 AM »
I had assumed Grudging Claws was physical at the time y'see.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »
Yeah full-rages Gau is a really, really good Heavy, not sure why that'd be surprising he wins.  I remember the RPGMon mini-tourney, and Gau was picked by somebody as their main Heavy when they had full choice of all Heavy PCs of the time (Unoriginal?  Random?), and he was insanely, frustratingly good.  Like, even characters that theoretically 'spoil' him often don't, e.g. Millenia's burst combo isn't even enough to finish the job vs. his defense.  Even better in RPGMon where a 50% win-the-fight status check can happen on turn 1 rather than being "turn 2" by some interps of course.

Anyway gonna abstain as usual on Gau myself.

Middle

For super's pools...
Henry should get wrecked by Fang (just plain double and win), probably wrecked by Kuja (Reflect has a good argument to work here at least, Kuja might outslug anyway), but Dart...  Dart is slightly below average speed but still doubles Henry.  So...  4x Waste is go?  Yeah Dart's MDur is weirdly good according to the topic but probably still not good enough.  No idea about Poco.

Ricardo seems like he'd really struggle against Forde of the spammable slightly below average damage.  A stall strat won't work; aside from Killer Lance threats, his healing is just too crappy, he isn't gaining the double turns fast enough I suspect.  That said if he just goes aggro with Gale -> 4x Fated Days Ends I think he's fine (or 3x FDEs if you don't see Gale letting Ricardo double, that's probably fine too as long as the lag isn't too bad).  Should probably destroy Yushis no problem though.

Forde should outrace Yushis.

Yeah, Forde/Rand/Ricardo feel like the best three in the pool. I... think Yushis goes up and Mishalea down? Ugly field though.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 12:11:05 AM »
Godlike

Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier) - This might actually be almost interesting if Yunalesca didn't have dispel counters.

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI) I don't think Kiryl can ever kill Magic Urn Gau.

Middle

Light

Yushis (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 12:29:47 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI)- Sanity check for Kiryl since I know that his status numbers are going way down.

Middle

Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia)- Well, gut checking Raynie's Sleep as not hitting turn 1...but doubling. I'll abstain here.

Light

...into the nightfall.