imageRegister

Author Topic: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew vs Pokemon - DAILY UPDATES!  (Read 43743 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew versus Pokemon
« Reply #350 on: January 23, 2019, 06:52:31 AM »
I think the Salamence line is meant to reflect some sort of caterpillar-cocoon-metamorphosis, but instead of a butterfly, you get a fuckoff huge dragon. I quite like the concept, even if neither the first nor last stage appeals to me all that much. I kinda love the cocoon phase though?

Metagross might be one of the only inorganic Pokemon designs that I don't hate, so sure, I can support this being one of the rare 5/5s. Inorganic designs aren't for me, but *somebody* must like them, so I'm glad there's one that isn't shitty. Also, there is a Cross on his face because he is MetagROSS. I think? IIRC, the anime does show how some Pokemon merge with others during evolution, so I think that is EXACTLY what has happened here. Metagross is the Gem Fusion of 4 Beldums.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 23, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
Since talking to my wife is a challenge, Metagross pokedex entry:    Metagross has four brains that are joined by a complex neural network. As a result of integration, this Pokémon is smarter than a supercomputer.

So it is indeed 4 linked Beldums. Or two Metangs for some reason on many of the entries.

Also this:    Metagross is the result of two Metang achieving fusion. When hunting, this Pokémon pins the prey to the ground under its massive body. It then eats the helpless victim using the large mouth on its stomach.

What the fuck.

Regirock: Yep, he exists. His backspines are kinda lame. Color isn't bad and I guess I like the braille eyes or whatever. 3/5

Regice: Being made out of a bunch of different icicles is a downgrade from being a pile of rocks. It just looks less like a conglomerate of ice and more like a bunch of crystals stuck together. Also the feet are extra dumb. Just decisively like the clunkiest, most awkward looking of the Regis. 2/5

Registeel: Man, why is Regirock the only one of you that doesn't have stupid legs? The little flare out hips to table legs are kinda goofy. As are the totally round shoulders. Like, I kinda like the shell metal design here and the colors are great but overall I just end up liking it slightly less than Regirock. Stop making piles of rocks have some of the more appealing shapes. 2/5

Latias: Colors fine. Big expressive eyes are cute and I like the ear things and the little head mark. The bug arms are kinda offputting though. The tail fins work pretty well up until I look at the sprite from behind and I'm kinda unsure what to do at that point. It is just a mess back there with how everything lines up. Probably needed the back wings to be more along the back instead of grouped at the end? I dunno. Mercy 3/5 for the adorbes face.

Latios: Yeah, it is just that they end up looking really ungainly for supposedly being inspired by jets. Uh, largely second verse, same as the first. There ARE differences in them, but conceptually what works and doesn't are largely the same thing if you replace cute with DETERMINED. 3/5

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 23, 2019, 05:20:49 PM »
Since talking to my wife is a challenge,

I am going to assume you are referring to the fact that you posted this after I went to bed rather than implying something else BUT

Anyway, kudos to Game Freak for successfully conveying their intention through design I guess. I stand behind what I said regardless.

I want to like Latios and Latias, but they feel like Japanese product mascots that got a little too literal while still trying to be clever. It's not just a cute plane, it's a cute plane that looks like a DRAGON! And it comes in two colors! Does anyone explain why they have geometric shapes on their chests? Also: they have fiberglass feathers and I'm going to be really disappointed if they don't have needle or glass-themed move sets despite being Dragon/whatever.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #353 on: February 04, 2019, 01:45:05 AM »
Well, Latios and Latias DO learn 'Steel Wing' and 'Sandstorm' by TM, so there's a bit of fiberglass violence if you squint.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2019, 10:36:52 PM »
Latias has 4 toes flipper feet that you can see quite clearly.

Latios left foot has 5 toes that flare out.

what the fuck
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2019, 06:30:53 AM »
Let's fucking finish Gen 3.

Kyogre: Well, its fin fingers are less stupid than Lugia's wing fingers? I actually kinda like Kyogre, honestly. The geometric patterning is pretty mellow and mostly used to nice accent parts of its body. The shape is an excellent fish shape that actually has a lot more orca in it then I realized now that I think about the white spots near its heard. I have no idea how I've never noticed that. It also makes sense with the teeth when it opens its mouth. The fingers really do suck and I wish they weren't there. The tail... flag is also a bit weird. I don't hate it, but I think use the sharp pointed tail with it looks weird and with the main body potion was also flat. That back fins are neat but the red outline creates this issue where it looks like he's wearing a waistcoat. I guess ultimately I think there are just too many little flaws holding it back, so 3/5 for you.

Groudon: You actually look better than I thought. The really awkward hunched back is lame, but the overall coloring and shape is good. The head ridges and tail... claws? Are weird and distinct. I think the amount of spikes on the side are overkill and probably something else to break things up would have been better. How flat his body is in the game is in the official art is kind of interesting, kinda making me think of a worm more than a dinosaur... which works here. To my own surprise, I think the design just comes together a bit better than Kyogre. 4/5

Rayquaza: He looks perpetually surprised. There's a lot I really don't understand in this design. The little fin rings are stupid (especially the two fin one on the shoulder). The lipstick/red teeth. The little stick arms and ball shoulders. The topmost horns that come out of the neck. Even the coloring is just a lot less satisfying than the other two. He isn't... quite pure garbage - I really dig the head shape for examples - but he is cloes. 2/5

Jirachi: Is a pretty good humanoid poke. I like it. It's got the same sorta mystical look that Gardevoir has going for it. The little ear dangles are a bit weird, and the tags maybe look a little too tag-like (for all that I do think they are necessary for breaking up the amount of yellow there), but it all comes together really well. I guess the little teardrops are a bit odd? I have no idea why those exist. They don't look bad though. Its close, but I don't think it quite makes the top for me, so let's go 4/5.

Deoxys (Normal): Of course the last thing I have to review this gen is a four form jackass. Sigh. I don't like Deoxys much, but I don't actually hate it and I'm not sure why. I guess the idea that it is supposed to be an alien pokemon helps it a bit here since it overall shape and ocntent wise still looks "pokemon to me" and I'm willing to give a bit of leeway for the affectations that are a bit weird. Like the head fins or the leg flares. The color is pretty nice. I feel like I should hate this, but I really don't. Whatever. 3/5.

Deoxys (Attack): Basically takes the normal design, but looks sharper. I think the additional black here doesn't work as well, but overall I like this marginally better than normal. Also the tentacles look better hanging loose instead of DNA spiraled. Still, the likes are just barely over Normal, so we'll count it as 3/5 too.

Deoxys (Defense): I think this is my favorite? I think the thicc design best features its... features. It also has the least obnoxious points and other things. The kneepads are a bit weird though. I really love the head/shoulders/arms area though. Just a good hulking monster design. Still not enough to get us out of 3/5.

Deoxys (Speed): This one I hate. I get the idea with it shedding most of its layering, but it just looks so stupid, especially with those massive hip things and the idiot speed skater hat. The reduction to one tentacle on each side also makes it look really... underdone? Lacking? The stupidest things on this design are so prominent though. I think this actually goes down to 1/5 for me.

Am I done? Is Gen 3 over? What year is it. Fuck me.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2019, 06:40:11 AM »
Apparently I never reviewed Linoone myself

Linoone: Uh. Yeah. Pretty boring. Not actively offensive. It deserves about this much attention. 2/5

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2019, 07:50:24 AM »
So. Gen 3. My favorite Gen as far as the games go. It... fared worse than I expected. A lot of designs I thought I liked or at least found okay just didn't stand up or score well under scrutiny. Take that nostalgia, I guess. On the other hand, though, the designs I DID still like, I like a lot. Even some of the 4s and 3s are Pokemon I really like. SO I think that's ultimately why I come across with a stronger opinion of Gen 3 than 2. Probably.

Onward to Gen 4. Jesus Christ I will never finish.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 20, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »
Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza: HELLO DIGIMON HOW ARE YOU

I'd like Kyogre a lot more if it didn't have a blunted version of stupid Digimon fingers. Groudon is like a backhoe flatworm and it seriously disturbs me. Rayquaza is one of those Pokemon that look pretty neat at the first glance but then you look closer and you're like "Why is it wearing lipstick badly" and "Are those fins turbines" and no thank you.

Jirachi: Come the fuck on, Andrew, this is Tanabata personified. It's star-shaped and has wish tags. I even looked it up in the Pokedex. It's CALLED THE WISH POKEMON. ... I also don't get the shapes under the eyes, though, so I'll give you that one. If you reaaaaaaaally want to stretch, with the three points of its head/hair, the two drops of hair, and those two under-eye triangles, you get 7. And 7 is important here. But getting there is one hell of a workout.

Deoxys: These forms all speak in μ-No.12's voice.

Linoone: Cute badger but it is not a Pokemon.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2019, 03:55:21 PM »
I think the lipstick/teeth are supposed to be GUMS in Rayquaza's case, which makes it even worse. Are you telling me the mighty dragon entity is supposed to rule the air from a nursery home, Pokémon!?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2019, 06:36:40 PM »
I never really noted what the heck was up with Rayquaza's mouth before, but now I can't unsee it.

Way to ruin what was otherwise a rather unremarkable design.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2019, 02:28:51 AM »
Rayquaza is one of those Pokemon with a little much going on, but it has such a great outline that I have a hard time hating it.

Like... seriously, remove all of the color from it and Rayquaza is just a kickass Japanese dragon with an awesome head shape.

Kyogre is also another favorite of mine. Gimme more of that Digimon-looking shit. This is a Legendary Pokemon, let him stand out! 5/5 design.

Groudon's the one I dislike from this set of Legendaries personally.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2019, 09:36:37 AM »
I never really noted what the heck was up with Rayquaza's mouth before, but now I can't unsee it.

Way to ruin what was otherwise a rather unremarkable design.

Thank you, we'll be here all night

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2019, 09:01:29 AM »
Let's do this. Gen 4. DPP. Team Galactic. Now updating daily because I will never finish otherwise. I will attempt to do a minimum 1 evolution line a day.

Turtwig: His jaw hinge is a bit weird. Design is kind of a bit boring outside of that. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't excite me too much. The twig on its head is a little weird too, especially given where this evolution goes. The starburst on the headtwig and feetyellow are a bit weird. Let's call this one average. 3/5

Grotle: Suddenly, anklyasaurus! However that is spelled. Conceptually I like the design here, but the details kinda kill it for me. The yellow socks are dumber looking here than on Turtwig (should have kept the jagged edges) and the bushes only growing on 2/3 of the back ridges is weird. Plus that little line in the middle of its torso is dumb. And we again have a bit of an issue with the fact that this evolutionary line isn't a very clean Stage 1 -> 3 movement which is lame. 2/5

Torterra: Evolution color shift go. The colors look good here, I just wish it wasn't such a bit jump. That said, Torterra is fucking rad. There are definitely elements to the design I don't like (cheek spikes, black beak) but that shell is super cool with its rock garden design. Like, it is just a really great concept and in practice looks pretty good too. And look at those rough, stompy legs. Torterra never skips leg day. I do wish the shell was a bit better blended with the back instead of shell being an extra thing over the armor plates, but whatever. This is early on and I'm in a good mood. 4/5
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:03:45 AM by AndrewRogue »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Torterra is a very rare starter pokemon whose final stage is the one that looks best IMO.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Chimchar: The hips don't lie (Shakira, Shakira). It looks fine. Kinda boring honestly, outside the fire butt. The little chest swirl is nice, the colors are good. The fur on top of its head looks a bit stupid and doesn't convey fire quite as well as it wants, I think, but it isn't bad. I am biased against filthy apes though. 3/5

Monferno: Suddenly blue mask. It doesn't look bad. It's just weird. This basically works out the same as Chimchar in that it works and is kinda boring, but I find myself hard-pressed to complain. The blue is weird though. 3/5

Infernape: And suddenly the head is on fire and the blue is gone. The white spread is nice though and makes for a pretty good color combo. The gold is a bit of a surprise since Monferno picked up a little stripe and that was it, but sure, it works. Honestly, it's a better design than I remember it being. The gold thing on its chest being a wraparound is weird? I dunno. This is striking that spot JUST before being overdesigned for me. Blagh. Kinda torn on score this one, so will score it 4/5 for the moment.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
The wraparound thing on his chest is one of those ubiquitous references to Son Goku the Monkey King's magical band/crown.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Makes sense enough I guess. It is just odd it is the only part of his design that wraps around the back. But good call.

Piplup: Penguins are stupid fucking animals. 4/5

Prinplup: Seriously, fuck all penguins. 2/5

Empoleon: Fuck them and their stupid suits. 1/5
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:11:10 AM by AndrewRogue »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
In this topic, I will now rate AndrewRogue: 0/10. Penguin hater. Nothing more needs to be said.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
I propose that we burn him at the stake.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
I’m more baffled at rating Empoleon below Prinplup though. Middle child’s just an insufferable prick right there.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Empoleon: Fuck them and their stupid suits. 1/5

That's it, Andrew, you're fucking dead
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:42:38 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
SCORCHING HOT TAKES
Piplup too high.  There isn't anything to it, it's just a chibi bird, that's fine but not 4/5 worthy.  Prinplup's yellow Nerf-football-head-tumor-fin thing is really bad... is it 1/5 bad?  I'd struggle with 1 or 2.  Empoleon 6/5, a full five points too low. Best design of any starter evo in the series?  I think so, and only the Alolans and a couple others even hang.

this is all in good fun as always, thanks for topic, pls don't feel dogpiled or serious

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Andy bought this as a child, and was forever traumatized:

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Piplup a point too low, Empoleon is at least three points too low.  Prinplup is the worst of the lot but by awkward middle child standards I'm not sure it's even -that- bad.

In short.

I propose that we burn him at the stake.